American Standard Stratocaster HSS Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: American Standard Stratocaster HSS
Stratocaster HSS guitars feature three incredible sounding Fender pickups, one Diamondback humbucking pickup and two custom-staggered Tex-Mex single coils, and is available with a maple or rosewood fingerboard.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.8
 Features: 9.3
 9.2
 8.7
reviews (9) pictures (8) 11 comments vote for this gear:
American Standard Stratocaster HSS Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Sound: Perfect for pretty much anything. I consider myself open to all styles and I've been able to replicate Aerosmith (moslty Gibson Les Paul rock band) and Eric Johnson. Other perfect matches have included Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimi Hendrix, Chet Atkins, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Jerry Reed. The humbucker with coil tap gives you so many more options than a Les Paul or a Stratocaster, I see it as the best of both worlds. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar actually arrived in tune from the factory, excellent set up. I did have to put locking tuners on it from bending it out so much with the Tremelo, but not a must have of course, I thouroughly enjoy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Guitar is hardly ever in its case, always set up in my room or being carted over to friends houses. No visible damage has been done at all in over a year and it is my work horse electric. I can easily see this guitar lasting for as long as I play. Chrome screws rust quickly, I recommend replacing with stainless steel screws if possible. // 10

Overall Impression: I play pretty much every style of music. Jazz, blues, rock, country, bluegrass, and classical all being in the regular rotation. This guitar has been able to match almost perfectly every individual artist I have tried to imitate thus far. When searching for electric guitars I didn't want to limit myself with a Les Paul to harder rock, and I didn't like the Fender Strats being to clean. I did consider a Fender B-Bender Telecaster with Tex Mex single coils and a five-way Switch. I wanted the best of all worlds. I can sound like a tele, Strat, les paul, or Gretsch with a few twist on the old Peavey studio 112 amp. The S-1 switching is amazing, and I recommend for everyone. // 10

American Standard Stratocaster HSS Reviewed by: divinorum69, on november 09, 2012

Features: A 2008 MIA Strat, what can I say, just Amazing. 22 frets, dark rosewood which plays awsomly well. This guitar was sent with all the other luggage in the plane, it arrived here to Argentina, I tuned it up, and no problems at all, no fret buzz at all. Alder sounds great, and the Blizzard Pearl unique color for 2008 strats is a sure win, polyurethane finish. The new bridge design greatly gives more tuning stability, you can do full dives lots of times before noticing any change on the tuning. Tuners are die-cast, and have the quality that should be a expected on a 1200 dollar guitar, top quality. Volume, tone, and the 5 way Switch are very well made, no noises, and quality can be noticing just by turning the knobs. Accesories are great too. This guitar comes with an awesome flight case with Fender logo embossed on it. It has a security key also. It includes a leather Fender strap, Fender cable, Fender cleaning cloth, and a Fender calco, very good. // 10

Sound: Just awesome. The different combinations and amounts of sounds you can get out of this baby are just great. The humbucker opens a world of new posibilities. I play all types of music. While enjoying at home I play from jazz blues to hardrock/metal, this guitar succesfuly complies with my requirements. It sounds great with all types of music, again from a shred sweeping tone, to a crunchy blues rythm, to a jazz chord taste. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was perfectly set up to my taste, neither too low, neither too high. The only complaint I may have is that the pickups are not perfectly aligned, but this has to do with the volume adjustments. Of course no flaws. None to be expected. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitars are made to last forever. Since the 50's Fender makes great guitars. Of course if you are a person Who uses this a lot, Who sweats on it, travels with it, and do not take your belt while playing, this guitar is gonna age. But of course, people like Joe Strummer have those beat up guitars, that are still sounding! If you take care it should last. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect. Worth it's money, and over time increases it values. Wanna upgrade to a top knotch guitar that you can rely on all your gigs, Fender USA is the way to go. awesome finish, setup and sound, what more can you ask for? // 10

American Standard Stratocaster HSS Reviewed by: Spike_S, on november 09, 2012

Features: I'm not sure what year or where this guitar was made. It is a Fender American Stratocaster HSS with 22 frets, maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard, 2 custom-staggered Tex-Mex, single-coil Strat pickups, and 1 Fender diamond back humbucking pickup. These are just the basics of this guitar. // 8

Sound: I play almost anykind of music there is and this guitar worked well no matter what I played and still managed to sound good, I was using a small 10 watt custom amp (the guitar and amp are my cousins) with standard overdrive and tone. The time I was playing the Strat I mainly had the overdrive on and turned up. it generally stays quiet when you quit playing it regardless if the overdrive is on or not. I played Jimi Hendrix on this guitar one minute and the next I was playing KillSwitch Engage. And it sounded great the variety of music on this guitar is amazing. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I played the guitar I was under the impression that it was brand new, strings and all but I took a look behind the headstock and it said "used" but either way just imagine how it would sound brand new the action and the pickups are set just right with each other. From what I have played on this guitar, it is flawless even when prevously used. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As far as reliability and Durability it has 1 very small dent in the back, I have also noticed that no matter where my cousin seems to set this guitar whether anything is touching the head stock or not, it always seems to stay intune. The strap buttons make me nervous a little bit. They are the ones that let the strap slide off to easliy. My own guitar has the same problem so you just have to be careful. And from my thoughts on this guitar. I would probly use it for a gig or a performace with out any backup. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is that I would buy one if I had the money. I love the feel of the guitar when you play it, it's awesome and as for me this guitar would really just suite just about anybody because of its ability to sound good with anytype of music. // 9

Features: This guitar was made in america, exactly where abouts I am not sure, neither am I sure about the time it was made. This guitar came with a Standard case, which is internationaly recognised. This means the is you take it to the airports, the won't bust it open, they'll use a master key to open it. It also came with a cloth, strap, lead. This guitar has and S-1 Switch (they were dicontinued on standards this year), which is awesome. It has a five way selector, 2 tone and 1 volume knobs. // 10

Sound: This guitar is awesome! It makes pinch harmonics so much easier, it's neck is slime and super-comfy. The guitar is completely ownage in all field, although the bass strings always have a bit of distortion on it (probably bass boost-i wish I knew how to fix it)no matter what you do. But other than that, it's awesome. I play mainly rock music, and this guitar gives the crunchy tone that many songs require. The S-1 Switch allows for the occasional change of style of music, and the sound is pretty awesome. My suggestion, if you can get hold of a Standard with the S-1 Switch, BUY IT! It is only available now on the deluxe series which costs crap amounts and it so expensive. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, I am not really an expert on the hardware, seems pretty good though, neck is glossed, action is perfect and needs no adjustments (for me) and it does not seem to contain any flaws. Not lost pegs, nuts are cut pretty well. The pickups seem pretty good, but, as I said, I am no expert on the subject so I COULD be wrong(hopefully not! I love this guitar! ) // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definately withstand a gig or performance. I banged this guitar with my old one a couple of times, but no visible marks on it yet. I think this guitar might outlive me, and I am 13. The strap is a lot more solid than my previous. don't think anything will go wrong with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock/neo-classical/blues rock/classical/metal/country/folk/pop/blue/ all kinds of music, and this guitar plays like a dream. If I lost it, I would probably try to replace it, but there was only one of these babies in the shops in this country left, and I took that. The only thing is that the appearance could have been a little more flash with glittering finish/whatever. If the pickguard had been gold, I would have been happier, but that's nothing to mark this guitar down for. I chose mainly because of the clearance special, $1000 NZ$ off, which is 1/3 of the price off. // 10

Price paid: A$ 2000

Purchased from: New Zealand Rockshop

Features: This guitar was made in America. It came with a case, a strap, a cleaning cloth, a new set of strings and a cable. The guitar has a S-1 Switch, 2 tex-mes Single coil pickups and a Diamondback Humbucker at the bridge. it's got 3 nobs, 2 for tone and one master volume. it's got a 5-way selector. Body style is obviously Strat style. // 10

Sound: I suit's most my style perfectly. The humbuckers may not be as rich in tone as a dh-1 in the deluxe hss, but I reckon it's still pretty good. I play rock, and this guitar is awesome at doing rock(save heavy metal). I mainly pick a Strat because I play a whole range of music and strats allow many different tones. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was very, very well set up. No problems with action, pickups, or indeed anything that most guitars have probleems with. I did not find ANY flaws in it what'soever, except the pickguard was a bit scratched(hardly worth mentioning, actually).The controls were not lose. Perfect setup is so rare I was surprised it very much. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems to endure any kind of abuse you throw at it. I have a baby sister(1 1/2years old) and she comes to my room and wrecks havoc on my guitars. This guitar hasn't got a single scratch yet. I am not kidding! It will probably Live longer than me. I can definately rely on it without a backup for a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: I have played many instruments, including Gibson les paul, SG, Telecaster and whole lot of guitars. I have not encountered such a good guitar at such a good price. If it were lost, I would definately want to buy it again. I actually love the S-1 swith above any single feature of this guitar. I thought about getting a les paul, tele or an sss Strat, but in the end, I had to admit this guitar was of better quality than any other in it's price range. Best guitar I have had. // 10

American Standard Stratocaster HSS Reviewed by: The Horror!, on november 09, 2012

Features: The guitar came with Tex-Mex pickups, a "Diamondback" humbucker of which I've been unable to find any information on, rosewood fretboard, maple neck, the S-1 switching system, and an Ash body (it was the Sierra Sunburst finish). The S-1 is actually a great addition to the guitar so I'm glad I bought the guitar before Fender stripped the guitar of this feature (along with hiking the price!); it expands the pickup configuration of the guitar greatly, allowing for greater variety in tone. I bought this a couple years ago (2007, maybe 2008) so the features differ slightly from the current (2009) version in that the S-1, as I said, is missing, the saddles are the cast type as opposed to the bent, and the block is made of a slightly different material. // 8

Sound: I play everything from Jazz to Blues to Rock and a bit of Metal, so I was in need of a versatile instrument, and I must say: this guitar fulfills that job pretty well. Using the S-1, I'm able to get a far warmer, thicker tone on the neck pickup by combining it with middle in series instead of parallel (or maybe vice versa, I'm not sure), and though it doesn't quite achieve a humbucker tone, it gets close enough to give me my own unique sound. The Tex-Mex pickups are decent and can achieve a nice thick blues tone, though they're not quite as rich as the more up scale version of them (the Texas Specials). The humbucker, however, is pretty tinny and mid-rangy / trebly, and noticeably lacking in bass; not a very smooth sound. The S-1 switching allows a huge a variety of different pickup combinations, giving me a nice range of sounds to choose from in the many different styles which I play, making it a very valuable addition to the guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish looks beautiful, the action was a little high (I adjusted it a bit lower as is my preference), and the intonation was fine. Really no big flaws in its setup. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Very solid, and very durable, though I have had to get the tremolo slot threads tapped out. Besides that, it's been banged around a decent bit and has held up fine. // 9

Overall Impression: All in all, this guitar is immensely versatile and sounds great in many styles. It plays great and feels great, but could do with some upgrades in regards to the pickups. Because of this I might recommend the extra few hundred dollars for the Deluxe version, but if you'd rather not this guitar is a great choice for someone looking for an all around great guitar that holds its own in many different musical situations. Its my go-to guitar: durable, reliable, versatile, highly playable, well built and great sounding. // 9

American Standard Stratocaster HSS Reviewed by: Apejack Cuba, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar Center Manhattan

Features: Even after 57 years of production, the Stratocaster has remained pretty similar to what it debuted as; if you're a guitarist, you have a very good idea what it's going to be like. My particular Strat is a 2010 American Standard with a passive, Fender-designed humbucker/single/single pickup configuration with one volume control and two tone controls - one for the humbucker and another that controls each single coil pickup. It has a swamp ash body with the Sienna Sunburst finish, 22 frets, 25.5" scale length, and a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. It's a fairly thin and pretty easy-to-play on neck, though obviously not a superfast shredder's guitar. If there's any one word I could use to describe this guitar, it's moderation. The HSS setup gives it a bit more versatility than the iconic SSS pickup configuration, though it won't get high-gain metal tones without replacing the humbucker and possibly using a distortion pedal, but since Iron Maiden and Yngwie play Strats, it can be done; it may not be an optimal black or death metal axe, but it's a versatile instrument that can handle a nice range of styles without any sort of modification. // 9

Sound: I play mostly rock and metal, varying from traditional, progressive, and some doom metal to classic, alternative and Indie rock, using a Peavey Delta Blues 115. Obviously, out of the box a Strat is more suited to classic rock, alt-rock, and blues, having much brighter and livelier clean tones than my Schecter Hellraiser, which is exactly why I bought the Strat, but tonally the humbucker in the bridge gives it a bit more variety. With the stock pickups, putting the Switch to the bridge/neck single-coil position gives a gorgeous clean tone that sounds almost like an Acoustic guitar, and either single-coil alone can get pretty close to the classic "Strat" tones: think the first Pearl Jam album, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Frusciante, and folks like that. It's not very hard to dial a good tone in with this guitar, whether it's a mildly distorted blues-rock sound like Pearl Jam's "Alive" solo or a bright, crisp clean. Unless you're using either the bridge/middle or middle/neck pickup positions, the guitar's noisier than the Schecter's EMGs, even when using the humbucker, though that's still quieter than the single coils. On the flipside, the Strat's passive electronics seem a lot better at taking effects like a wah or similar pedals than active electronics. It's not the greatest for metal straight out of the box and with my amp, but with a different humbucker, a good distortion pedal, and a proper amp I don't see any reason why you couldn't get a good traditional metal tone like Iron Maiden's or someone similar. It's a great, versatile guitar, but if you're going to be playing mainly shred or heavier styles of metal, you should probably look somewhere else. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup on my Strat is a bit flawed, unfortunately. It gets some string noise on the lower 3 strings, moreso than my Schecter ever has, and the problem only gets worse when you downtune. I typically only use standard, E-flat tuning, and D Standard tunings, and rarely go to D-flat or below, but the type of music that needs Db Standard or something lower isn't the type of music you're probably going to want a Strat for, honestly. I haven't taken it to a pro to get it set up yet, but at least the string noise is inaudible when you actually plug in. Aside that problem, the guitar is beautiful - string bending is much easier than on any other guitar I've owned, and I like the feel of both the satin back of the maple neck and the rosewood fingerboard a lot more than I like my Schecter's finished neck and ebony fretboard. The finish really lets the grain of the swamp ash Shine through, and you can see that the wood the body was made from is a really great piece of wood. The rest of the setup and build of the guitar is great, but the string buzz annoys me considering how much the axe cost, so I'm giving it a 7 here. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I switched out the strap buttons for DiMarzio Cliplocks as soon as I got it, but the rest of the guitar just feels right. It's comfortable to play on, though I've had to get used to the tremolo bridge. It stays in tune pretty well, even though my Schecter is a little better with that, but it was designed with lower-tuned music in mind, so I'll give the Strat a 9 in this department. It's very good, but I don't see anything amazingly outstanding that makes me think it's perfect in all regards - locking tuners might've been nice. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about seven years now, and this is probably the nicest guitar I've owned (not the nicest I've played but that's nitpicking). The tone it gets is a lot nicer than my Schecter's, but Schecters are designed for a somewhat different kind of music than what I play nowadays. It'll probably be perfect after I swap out the humbocker and maybe install locking tuners. For the price, it's an excellent, versatile instrument - I'd definitely look into a replacement as soon as possible if it was broken, stolen or lost, since it's a very high-quality instrument for under $1,300. If you play mostly "lighter" styles of music like blues, alternative rock, or classic rock, I'd definitely recommend looking at and trying out Stratocasters. My only qualm at all with it is the string noise, so the Strat gets a 9/10. // 9

Features: Made in the US. Maple neck and fretbrd, 22 medium frets. Black body with a white pickguard. Two texas special SCs and an "Atomic" HB in the bridge. For more specs visit the Fender webpage. I give it a 10 on specs because it has exactly what a Strat should have. // 10

Sound: The sound is fullfilling for a strat. You can get the entire range of singlecoil tones thanks to the materials used and the two texas specials, so I won't comment on this because if you know strats, then there's no need. On to the humbucker: I found it decent but not fantastic and if I actually kept this guitar (I returned it) I would have changed out that pup for a Seymour Duncan probably. I found it muddy and not terribly hot at the same time, a bit thin. This is compared to other similar pickups and keeping in mind the natural characteristic of a Strat of being thin. I'm marking one point down for the pup. If you must have that Strat sound, this will be good enough. Now a personal comment on the stat sound, not this one in particular, but basically all the ones I've played: they have a great, very characteristic tone but an equally characteristic drawback, which is lack of sustain. The same properties that give this type of guitar it's unique character also those that suck sustain directly out of this beast. After giving Fender another go (I'm a Gibson and PRS guy), I reconfirmed that this is a dealbreaker, hence I returned the thing. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I found the craftsmanship disappointing on the neck and body. It was still competent, but this is supposed to be Fender's higher end grade and I just don't find it as good as even a discount Ibanez, for instance. With Fender you really pay a premium price and what you really only get that distinctive tone..and shoddy craftsmanship. The frets were slightly uneven and the body's finish just looked, well like I said, not any better than a cheap import guitar. Yes, this guitar is built well enough to be a pro's instrument, but I find these days most pros will probably have to go for the deluxe level Strat that costs about US$1500. Now for that money you can get a good Gibson or PRS. In my eyes, for that price Fender just can't compete. I think a 7 on this category is being kind. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Perfectly reliable in my opinion, but I only kept it a couple of days before returning to the store. However, I have had other strats in the past and they are all strong as oxes. They don't have any problems at all. Very sturdy work horse guitars. In all fairness I have to give it a 10 in this section. // 10

Overall Impression: I returned this guitar because I reconfirmed that I wasn't a Strat guy although some of my favorite players use them and I love their sound. But I like sustain and the Strat just doesn't have it, period. But judging this animal for what it is, and not what I wish it was, I'd advise against getting this at all. If you want a truly quality Strat you must go for the US$1500 deluxe level one. If you can't get that, you could probably settle for a Mexican one, although some of those are just downright bad, just as bad as Squiers. But this isn't really that much better. The only thing that sets it apart really are the pups, because the craftsmanship is similar. In fact, I've heard that they are all - Mexican and American - assembled in Mexico anyway. I love Fender amps. They are truly stellar. But their guitars, with this I reconfirmed that they are all Fame and hype and little actual delivery. Sorry guys, back to Gibsons and PRS. // 7

American Standard Stratocaster HSS Reviewed by: DJ Dunzie, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 1149

Purchased from: L.A. Music

Features: 2011 model HSS American Standard... Mine is the Sienna Sunburst with a maple fretboard. Corona California built. Ash body unique in the lineup this year to the Sienna finish. Maple neck, 9.5" radius, 22-fret, maple fingerboard, modern C shape, medium jumbo frets and hand rolled fret edges. Pickup configuration is two Tex Mex single coils in the neck and middle positions, and a Diamondback humbucker at the bridge. Usual 5-way switching, 2-point synch tremolo, Vintage bent steel saddles, 1 volume and 2 tone knobs, aged white knobs and chrome hardware, bi-flex truss rod, synthetic bone nut, 4-bolt neck with micro-tilt. Comes with the great molded SKB Fender hardshell case, polishing cloth, patch cord, hang tags and so on. By now pretty much everyone knows the standard specs on the US Standard Strats. This one joins my US Standard Strat fleet, which also includes an Olympic white SSS and a limited-edition Hand Stained Ash HSH, so I have pretty much all the pickup configurations covered. // 9

Sound: Even though I have close mates in SSS and HSH configurations, this one's still a little different even on the middle position thanks to the Tex Mex pickups which have a slightly grittier, hotter, edgier bite to them. They respond well to distortion and mate well to my tastes to the bridge HB, although not as smoothly and harmoniously as on the LE HSH Strat. For clean tones, I prefer the AS single coils, but again it's nice having some variety with this guitar that sets it apart from the SSS. The trade-off for the hotter punch in these single coils too is that it tends to hum or buzz more than the SSS American Standard under heavy gain or distortion, although not to the point where it annoys me like my Tele or some cheaper Strats I've played. If you never played a Strat before, you'd love the versatility in this configuration. It suits everything from blues to classic rock to country, and even does a decent job with metal utilizing the bridge PU. All in all, not a whole lot you can't do with this guitar. I'd say it's half way - as you might expect - between the SSS and HSH Standards, and that isn't a bad thing. This one's going to be my go-to for harder edged stuff so it's exactly what I was after. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up from the factory wasn't quite what I expected out of the box, since my other US Fenders have all been pretty much bang-on right away. This one had some fret buzz and a little uneven action. A quick setup later, and it's spot on now, almost precisely like my SSS which is nice. Fit and finish are spectacular though, with one of the nicest underlying wood grains I've seen in a burst finish, and I've always been a bit of a sucker for the Sienna ash Fenders. The neck and fingerboard are outstanding for my tastes, with a great smooth high gloss fretboard and nice satin back. Controls are buttery smooth - much better than my SSS was initially. After the adjustment, it's fantastic now, but I'll dock a couple marks for the disappointment in not being ready to play in comparison to my other American Standards. Nitpicking sure, but when you've been spoiled in past it's got a lot to live up to. // 8

Reliability & Durability: My experience with Fenders in general is that they're built relatively well at every price point in the lineup, but get better and better as you'd expect as you move up. I have yet to have ANY issue with build reliability with Fender in 25+ years of playing them, but particularly the US models, which are plain built to a higher standard. Comparing fret edges alone will help explain the difference. The only electronic issue I ever had was a minor wiring issue with an old MIM Strat. They take a beating, and get cooler with age. Simple design that has been proven through the decades, and their build quality has only gotten better over the years lately. // 10

Overall Impression: It was going to be hard for this guitar to blow me away since I already have decades of Strat ownership and several very similar guitars to compare it to. And that isn't a bad thing I guess... I knew what I was getting into and it's exactly what I thought it would be. I do like the HSS combination, and the slightly hotter pickups add a little spice to the Strat sound. The 2012 model apparently has Fat 50's single coils so it'd be interesting to compare them back to back, but I'm very happy with this guitar in every way now that the setup is sorted out the way I like it. It's just such a proven design and now that so many different pickup configurations are available just take your pick and it's hard to go wrong. For someone getting their first US Strat and looking for more traditional Strat clean tones, I'd go for the SSS model, but if you like to throw the gain up and crank the distortion most of the time, this is a great tool. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jazzmaster - Lee Ranaldo Signature 8.6 Electric Guitars 12/19/2014