American Stratocaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: American Stratocaster
The beauty of the American Stratocaster guitar is in its details. This model incorporates several simple player-friendly refinements into the timeless design of the Strat guitar: hand-rolled fingerboard edges, three staggered single-coil pickups, five-way switching and two-point synchronized tremolo.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Features: 9.5
 9.5
 8.5
reviews (40) pictures (1) 131 comments vote for this gear:
American Stratocaster Reviewed by: Zamboni, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Avenue Guitars

Features: My 2004 American-made Stratocaster is by far my favorite guitar. It's got 22 jumbo frets set in a rosewood fingerboard, on an alder body. It was specially made for the Stratocaster's '50th anniversary, and has a beautiful Olympic white finish. It has a floating bridge, great for up and down whammy playing, and has a single volume pot, with two tone pots. It came with a solid, form-fitted case, whammy bar, strap, cable, two allen keys, and a waxed cloth. // 10

Sound: It fits all my musical tastes perfectly. Metal, classic rock, blues, jazz, it does it all. I'm using it with a Roland Cube 30 for practice, and a Marshall stack for shows. There is hardly any noise on this guitar, a good thing for single coil pickups. These pickups sound the nicest, and have the least amount of hum I have ever heard. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar needed no work from the factory. The action, pickup poles, and bridge were all set up as near perfect as you can get. I ended up having to change the action and intonation on most of my other guitars, however I was glad that I didn't have to change anything on this one. There were no flaws on this guitar. Everything was in surprisingly good condition. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It has been through many live gigs, and has not faultered whatsoever. The hardware, strap buttons, and everything else is solid, and has not once dissapointed me. I depend on this guitar for most of my playing, and continually use it without a backup. It's always there when I need it to be. The finish is thick and has not worn at all, even after over a year and a half of playing. // 10

Overall Impression: For my metal influences, this guitar suits me perfectly. Even when I want to break out the classic rock and blues, it's there to serve. I've been playing for over three years, and this guitar has been with me through over half of that time. If lost, I would instantly go out and buy myself the exact same guitar. To me, this guitar can do no wrong, it has been reliable, has always sounded good, and will continue to be my main guitar for years to come. // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: - Made in California, 2004. - 22 frets, maple neck. - Solid top. - Dark brown Strat body. - Floyd rose bridge. - Volume, tone (2x), 5-way selector. - Singlecoil pickups. - Hard case, strap, cable, humidifiers, tremolo bar, 2 plectrums. // 10

Sound: I am incredibly lucky to have gotten this fine guitar at such a fine price. In my opinion, Stratocasters are the nicest sounding and feeling guitars of all time. I play many styles of music, from the bluesy leads of Jimmy Page and Gary Moore to the classic rock of Jimi Hendrix, From Guns N' Roses and Metallica to Foo fighters and Muse. This guitar covers them all perfect, with its treble heavy, clear, almost vocal style of this amazing guitar. Listen to Jimi Hendrix play on any of his albums. You can hear every note perfectly. If he played a Les Paul, it would be lost in its deep chasms of sustain. Also, compare the body shape to that of a Les Paul. The Les paul's sharp corners stick into while you play, and it is heavier than a grand piano (not really). Two minutes with a Strat and you're playing it likes its the only thing you've ever done. I use my Strat with a Marshall 30-watt amp and my DigiTech RP100, and it is my dream setup. My Strat, when turned up, does not lose its unique tone. It is a guitar suitable for every type of tone known to man. Just go into a guitar shop and play one. You'll see. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I spent 20 minutes going over this guitar, and I cannot find a flaw in this guitar. Every surface is smooth, and the wood quality is superb. The pickups were installed perfectly, and there is not a thing wrong with them. The bridge is fine, as is the top. A lot of thought and effort has understandably gone into this guitar, and it is worth ever cent. There was not one flaw in its action and finish. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Though Strats are light, they are extremely durable. Though I haven't the nerve to abuse it, the finish is as hard as Kerry King's wrist muscles. The strap buttons are 100% solid, and I wouldn't shame my Strat by using another guitar as a backup, 1st class. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all styles of music, and I think Strats are the universal guitar. Even non-Strat users like Slash have something to say ("I think Strats are the best-sounding guitars, but you have to try hard with them"). This guitar will last you through 3 lifetimes, and so will your warranty. If this guitar was stolen, I'd get a machinegun, kill every person in the country and not rest until I got it back. It's that good. // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Made in 2003 in USA, Corona CA. 22 medium/jumbo frets. It has all the usual controls: volume/2 tone/5-way selector. It hasn't been customized yet so is still the same configuration as when it was bought. Maple neck, with Alder body, finished in black with white fretboard. Came with lots of accessories: Fender hard case, strap, cable, tremolo arm, lots of screws and hex keys, bumper stickers, picks, etc. // 10

Sound: I play blues/rock such as Clapton, Hendrix, and also some punk rock such as Red Hot Chili Peppers and so on. The guitar suits all these styles perfectly, it's very versatile. Sounds great when I play classic guitar songs eg the Eagles on it too! There is a bit of noise but the cable is dodgy. The guitar can make a great variety of sounds, thanks also to the amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was adjusted and set up very well. As I said, I haven't altered any settings at all yet! Everything is presicely set up, with little noise coming from the pickups. Finish is perfect, no chips or flaws whatsoever. Polish has a few imperfections but nothing a new coat of guitar polish wouldn't fix! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played it live but I cannot suspect it would trouble me. The hardware seems built to last, without a doubt. The finish is strong and complete, the strap buttons are very strong and survive if I am literally jumping around the place. I would surely depend on it, no need for any sort of backup! // 10

Overall Impression: If I lost it, I would buy it again. Except I would buy it in America or somewhere similar, where the price would be a lot cheaper. The price I payed here in Ireland was a bit over the top. It was definitely worth it, but compared to how much the same guitar costs in other countries it was too dear. I would also like to downgrade the hardcase to a gig bag as the hardcase is very heavy to carry! // 8

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: fr0zt, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Alto Music NY

Features: Body: Alder or Poplar Neck: Maple (Bolt-on) Machine Heads: Fender Standard (Cast/Sealed) Fretboard: Maple (9.5" Radius/241mm) Number of Frets: 22 Pickups: American Standard Strat (Neck/Mid/Bridge) Controls: Master Volume, Tone (Neck), TBX (Bridge and Mid) Bridge/Tremolo: American Standard Pickup Switching: 5 position Blade Scale Length: 25.5" (648mm) Neck Width @ Nut: 1.6875" (43mm) Availble Colors: Black, Brown Sunburst, Pewter, Gun Metal Blue, Midnight Blue, Midnight Wine, Frost Red, Arctic White Comes with Hard Shell Case, strap, 10' cable, tools, cleaning rag, manual, tremolo bar, etc. // 10

Sound: I play blues, classic rock, some punk and some metal. I plug into a Line 6 Spider II series amp. Overall, this guitar is unbelievable in terms of sound. It has a rich tone that the imitations cannot achieve. On the bridge pickup with the volume knob turned all the way up gives a slight buzz, but a lot less than other guitars. I experience this much more on my old Squier guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: All American Series guitars are set up at the factory in California. The guitar came perfect for my playing. The strings are nice and close to the frets. I experience fret buzz on the 3rd string, but I'll have to look up on that. I have never played a guitar that feels as good as this one. The neck feels like glass. The fretboard is made out of the highest quality rosewood. No flaws at all. I consider the fret buzz not to be a problem, since it can be easily fixed and does not get in the way of my playing. I have the Arctic White color, and it looks sharp. Looking at the other colors, they look good too. Especially the red and sunburst colors struck my eye. // 10

Reliability & Durability: If this guitar wouldn't withstand live playing, do you think Hendrix, Clapton, and Frusciante (and many more great players) would live by the American Series Stratocaster? I would use it on a gig without a backup, but since I have a backup, it's no problem. Everything is solid on the guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm impressed with the overall quality of this guitar. After playing this, my Gibson Flying V, and my Squier Strat, I'd have to say this is my favorite out of the three, not to mention that I love it over my friend's Gibson SG. It may be just a matter of taste, but in my opinion, once you play this wonderful instrument, it'll be hard to pick up anything else. Work up the extra cash for this fine guitar, if you can. If you're on a budget, I'd recommend the Standard. If you are saving your money for a Standard Strat, just wait a little extra longer like I did. Work for this guitar. You'll appreciate it as much as I do. Many people love to bash Fender, just because they have a Gibson. There is no question that the American Series has some of the best guitars in the industry. My musical tastes prefer this Strat over anything else. // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: stonyman65, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musicain's Friend

Features: My Strat is Chrome red with a maple neck/fretboard. 22 medium frets with a 9" inch C shape neck and a 25.5" scale. Made in september, 2005. solid top Strat alder body with a Polyurethane finish. Fender American 2 point synronised tremelo (nice, stay in tune good). 3 passive American Strat single coil pickups. 5-way switching, 1 volume, 2 tone - tone 2 has delta tone active pickup boost (really nice). H/S/H routing and Fender/Schaller American staggered tuning machines. And a Fender molded case (it was warrped so I bought a TKL case) a Fender strap and a 20" Fender cable. // 9

Sound: Like many people have proven before (Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Vaughn to name a few) this guitar can handle anything from hard rock to the sweetest blues ever made. For me, it's more of a hard rock/punk and a little bit o' blues. I am now currently using a Carvin MTS 3200 2-12 combo amp, Dunlop cry baby wha, Boss CE-5 Chorus essemble and a Boss TU-2 tuner. The single coils are a bit noisy when on distortion, but that depends on how hard you push your amp, on clean, it's noiseless. The neck/middle pickups are very, very rich and the bridge pickup is very bright and hot. You can get any sounds out of this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty well at the factory but I like my own touch so I set up the guitar to my specs and put on the strings I like (D'Addario 10-52s). The pickups are awesome, I took out the bridge s/c and put in a dimarzio Tone Zone humbucker (thanks to the HSH routing) to get a fatter bridge pickup. I also took out the schaller tunes and put in Sparzel locking tuners. Everything on the guitar was fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes! // 10

Overall Impression: I love everything about this guitar, it's good for my style. If it where stolen I would kill the SOB who stole it and get it back. I've been playing for about 6 years now. I would buy it again and get the exact same thing too. I compared this too a Ibanez RG 1570 and the Strat came out on top b/c of the pure fact of versitality and the other fact that a floyed trem is just too much work. The Strat is also easilly customized too. // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: The American series standard is a solid guitar. If you want something that pumps out the high ends and drops out the lows, this is your guitar. If you want that clean sound you would get from a Red Hot Chili Peppers album, this is he answer. It has 3 control switches, five way pickup selector Switch, and three singles. And once you kick in the distortion you can get some heated solos that will blow you away. The medium jumbo frets make this guitar extremely fast. The rosewood or maple neck has a smooth feel, as if you have been playing it for years. And the hardshell case provides maximum protection. // 10

Sound: The sound of this guitar is incredible. Every tone and pitch is defined and strong. I use a Marshall 250 with this guitar and it sounds great. You can change the sound around so much with this guitar if you have a good amp, and it still sounds great. Everything about this guitar sounds great, no matter what the settings. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar has a great set up, it is unbelieveable how solid this guitar is. It has a low action to it, which makes it easier to move you fingers around and press down the strings. Everything about this guitar was incredible I have no complaints, and the finish is amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can handle anything. I have never played a better guitar. Even the finish is strong, it won't wear off and extended playing, you would have to bring a sander to it to wear off the finish. I would trust this guitar with my life, and I would play this on stage anywhere. Even without a back up. If you think this guitar might not hit the lows enough to play punk music, put a single coil humbucker in the bridge and that will give you that blink 182/green day sound. It can do anything. // 10

Overall Impression: It is perfect for the style of music I play. If this guitar was stolen, I would buy another one most definitely, I don't thgink I would be happier with anything else. I have been playing for almost 2 years now, but I am the kind of person who caught on really quick. This guitar is perfect for me, it is good enough for me and maybe even a little better. This guitar will take you places and make people drool. I'm not gonne say anything about the case being too hard to carry and prefering a gig bag because that is bs. If you want this guitar to stay in good shpae get the case and get some muscles. Don't be a pansy and carry this around with a gig bag, if you want a gig bag, get a Squire and don't play this guitar! // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: gryftorsguitar, on november 09, 2012

Features: - Made in 2003 in America - 22 frets - volume, H and L tone, 5-way pickup selector - Fender noisless pickups - maple neck and fretboard // 10

Sound: Well I have a extreamly small Fender 15g witch makes basically every setting have a low and sometimes high static interfearence, but when I use it on my neighbors Marshall or my insstructers Fender Twin Reverb it sounds increadible. I play alot more of the cleaner Clapton type stuff and when theres no static it sounds really nice. I also play some of the distorted rock and ounk when my bandmates want me to, and it works ok for that, but I think that humbuckers are better for that. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar it was a beauty, nice and shiney and no flaws. The pickups and everything were just where they should be and they all worked great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Unfourtunatly the finish I choose is known to scratch very easy. So along the top slant on the back there are alot of little marks, but if I had the money I could fix them. it also sometimes chips but I fix it myself. the hardware seems like it will last untill its replaced. The bolt thingy holding the output on came loose about 3 monthes into it, but that was easy to fix. Never had a strap fall or come undone. I do not find it a nessesity to bring a backup to a gig, but since you never know what could happen its a good idea to bring a backup toevery gig with any guitar. // 6

Overall Impression: It fits my style music pretty good. ive ben playin maybe 3 years and I also own a old piece of crap i got for free electric and a acoustic. I would probly not buy the same guitar if it were lost because I think that I should have experiance with many diff styles of guitars. I did compare it to other guitars, such as a Les Paul or a SG and a Telecaster, but I think I chose this because I could afford it and when your new you see that the Strat is often placed with rock music so I thought it would suit all my needs perfectly. If you want one got to a store and play it a lot and compare it with other guitars and find out witch fits your style better. // 8

Purchased from: Drome Sound NY

Features: Having a banana yellow Strat means you better be good. This guitar is a great guitar to find yourself in. Mine's about 7 years old. It was my first serious guitar purchase. It has all that you expect from a 'real' Strat. I say real, because I had a Squier and they're just crap. This guitar has all the features you need to attempt any style. Whammy bar (definitely cool), three way Switch (find an array of tones), and just enough frets to find any note. // 10

Sound: This axe will cover almost any style. Where it came up short for me was when you want that low end. If you like that funky sound, or country twang or even some styles of rock and blues - this is your guitar. If you want meaty low end bang that you can feel on your chest, keep looking. Overall, I still keep coming back to this guitar for obvious reasons. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The fret board is really fast, although it's all personal taste. The guitar is lighter than Gibsons and other competitors and the positioning of the knobs/switches allows you to play unconventionally quite easily, allowing unique effects. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is the guitar to take on the road or to any gig. I have a Gibson ES-137 and a one of a kind Rono Hollow body. Both have a tone that I prefer to the Fender since I like that deep full sound, but everytime I take them out of their cases I fear cracking them or scratching them. The Strat allows professional quality sound and reliability like a tank. If Jimi Hendrix played them, they had to be strong right? They are the best for taking a nocking and still sounding fantastic. I always bring mine to a gig. It's the standard for a reason. // 10

Overall Impression: If you want a guitar you will learn to cherish than the Strat is where it's at. If you want something that has some 'umph' than keep looking, but be prepared to spend about double for anything in the same level of quality. This is the guitar you want if you are serious about playing live and don't want to bust your budget. I only learned to love mine after I had bought the Gibson and Rono, mainly because this guitar has style, it has a history, and it has it's own personality. It just sings on the solos and it practically plays itself. Go out and buy one, you'll be glad in 30 years when it's value has increased and it plays just as good if not better than the day you bought it! // 10

Purchased from: Nevada Music

Sound: This guitar is brilliant for many styles and you can easily get many classic Strat tones. I've used it for Red Hot Chili Peppers style music, Hendrix style, Clapton style and Brian May style and various Indie styles and it sounds like a dream. I use a Marshall AVT 150 and it sounds great played through the clean channel with a little reverb through the neck pickup. The only problem is that distortion/overdrive can sound very muddy through the pickups, especially with high gain settings, getting a decent distorion pedal like the Boss MD-2 helps but the guitar is best played with a little overdrive. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar, it was an upgrade from a Strat copy that was falling to pieces, The guitar was set up perfectly, although if you wish to change the string guage (like I did as I prefer 10s to the normal guage 9s) Be prepared to make some tricky adjustments to the tremelo bridge (I had to take mine to my local repair shop after not realising this). I have found that the guitar can struggle to stay in tune, especially if you try a hendrix style dive bomb, and this can be very frustrating, but a mate of mine who owns a Mexican Strat says he doesn't have the same problem with his guitar. All in all this guitar is brilliantly set up from the factory. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar just cries out to be played live, I have had no problems with it (although I've only gigged it twice) and definitly don't need to worry bout a backup. I have had a problem with the strap buttons which resulted in me playing 1/2 a song sat down! This should not be a problem though if you check them and don't abuse them like I do! The hardware is solid and strats are renowned for going decades without the need for hardware repair. The finish already has a few dents in it due to my clumsiness. You have to be fairly careful with the finish, and if you are you won't have any problems. I do feel as though this guitar will probably outlive me! // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar can match many styles, and doesn't let me down. I have only been playing for 2 years so I guess I'm fairly inexperienced but I am not considering another guitar yet as it can do everything I need it to. My only regret is that I didn't consider an American Strat with a humbucker in the neck position, as this would enable me to play some heavier styles without the need for a distortion pedal. If it were stolen I would hunt down the criminal responsible but if that fails then I guess I would definitely buy another 1. When I was buying I compared it with an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and a Gibson Les Paul Studio and it kicked the Epiphone's ass, although the Gibson was a special guitar I felt the Strat was far better suited to my style when I bought it. I love the neck on this guitar as it is so easy to play and the general design is a thing of outstanding beauty. The only problem I have with it is it's inability to stay in tune whilst being abused. This guitar rocks! // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: bmartinak, on november 09, 2012

Sound: Is there a style of music one cannot play on a Strat? Among my biggest influences are Zappa, Eno, Fripp, Lowe, Lennon, Cash, Reinhardt, Jackson (Joe, that is) and Setzer, and they all sound right at home on the Strat. I play through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and an old Fender Champion 110, and the guitar sounds great through both of them (although I must admit a preference for the Hot Rod). I cannot imagine a guitar with a bigger variety of sounds, yet it always sounds like a Strat, which is why it's going on fifty-one years as one of the standard electric guitars. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was wonderfully playable off the rack, but luckily, I have a top-notch luthier in my area, and I take all my guitars to him for set-up, so I can't speak to this point with much authority. Even he, however, commented on this particular Strat's construction as being among the best he's seen. I whole-heartedly agree. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for over thirty-five years. I have a '72 Telecaster Thinline, Washburn acoustic and an Epiphone banjo, along with the amps I mentioned previously. I loved my '88 Strat, but this one is better. It looks like the same guitar, but, somehow, it is better. It feels better, it plays better, it sounds better, it seems to stay in tune better; I can't explain it, it's just a better guitar. Not only is it the best Strat I've ever owned or played, it's the best guitar I've owned or played. I gave up my Gibson after first playing a Fender maple neck, and this Strat reminds me why ever time I pick her up. // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: My Fender Stratocaster was made in Corona, California, USA in 2005. It has 22 medium frets on a maple fretboard with a 9 inch radius and a 25. 5 scale. Solid top Strat, alder body, maple neck. Crome red finish. American standard tremelo. Passive electronics. One volume, two tone controls plus "delta tone" wich is a boost for the bridge pickup. 5-way selector Switch S/S/S pickup configuration, American Strat pickups. and Fender non-locking Schaller tuners. My guitar came with a Fender hardshell case, strap, cable, hex wrenches and a polish cloth. The only bad thing was that the case was warped so I have to return this one. // 9

Sound: My style is mostly punk/rock and some classic rock. This guitar suits my style perfectly. I am using a Marshall MG15CD with this and a Boss ME50, it sounds okay with my amp but when I get my new one (Carvin MTS3212) it will sound perfect. It's noisy b/c it has single coils but that can be fixed with a noise suppressor. The bridge pickup has a bright sound as it is but when you put on the delta tone it has a boost that give it a slightly brighter sound and more distortion. The neck pickup is great for clean and lead stuff, very rich. This guitar can do anything from blues to '80s hair metal, the singles can do alot. Lots of sounds man. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was fine. When I got it I checked it over and found nothing. The strings when new so they where stretching but I don't like Fender strings so I but on my favorite D'Addorio 10-52 and re adjusted the action and intonation but I was gonna do that anyways so it was fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is tough, belive me. I would not go to a gig with out a backup anyways. I got one scratch on it already when one of my other guitars fell and hit it and even that was a small ding. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 3 and a half years now. I own three guitars, (Ibanez Jem and Ibanez Talman acoustic), a Boss ME-50 and a crappy Marshall practice amp. Yes I would buy this again after I kill the person who stole it, I would have to say my favorite feature of this is the tremelo. It stays in tune for almost everything. I'm also a whammy whore so it's good. When I got it I compared it to my Jem and it blew it away in sound and tuning stability. It's perfect. I wish it had those locking tuners on the Deluxe series but I'm gonna buy them when I get that cash. // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: 1ight, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: From the serial number I could tell that it was made in 2005, obviously in the usa since it's an American Strat. It's usual Strat 22 jumbo frets, solid alder body (I think), rosewood fretboard, black finish, floating bridge, a volume and 2 tone knobs, 5-way selector, 3 original Fender single coil pickups. With it a got a case (one of those molded ones shaped sorta like a guitar), and this kit with a bunch of stuff like the owners manual, a Fender strap, a whammy bar, a cloth, a 10ft cable, a bunch of those allen wrenchs. I also bought a black pickguard, 'cause I didn't want the Eric Clapton look, I want more of the Dave Gilmour look. // 10

Sound: This definitely suits my music styles, blues, classic rock, rock, hard rock and so on. I have a craptacular amp, and a DOD Overdrive pedal but it sounds ok thru my amp, very versatile. I love it soo much, with my friends V-Amp it gets sooo much sustain. Obviuosly ever body knows that strats are probably the most versatile electric guitars. This thing can copy any sound. From Back In Black, to Black Dog, to Another Brick In The Wall. It definitely isn't limited to bands whose guitarists use Strat, it can make most Angus Young sounds, some Jimi Page sounds, Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads and of course you can make all of the Hendrix sounds. All in all its sick with its own distinguishing characteristics, and the ability to copy other sounds. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: In the store the setup was ok, but the bridge wasnt perfectly flat on the body. I did that free setup thing and it paid off except I had to wait like two weeks. And they didn't really set everything up perfectly, there's some buzz on the 6th string when I press the string kinda akwardly. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Of course it can withstand live playing, it will obviously last if you take good care of it. What's there to not last, it's all high quality wood and metal and plastic. The strap buttons are ok and I would use it on a gig without a backup 'cause it's so dependable. The finish looks nice and shiny, expecially since I clean it like once a day with the Fender cloth. // 10

Overall Impression: I play the blues, classic rock and hard rock/metal. I've been playing for 3-4 years and this guitar is definitely a good match for me. Now I need to upgrade the rest of my gear, new amp, maybe an effects processor, some pedals. If it were stolen, I'd cry my eyes out 'cause my sister bought me it, my first good electric guitar. I love everything about it, everything. I chose this guitar for its amazing versatility and good price. All in all, an amazing instrument that has to be good when so many popular and good guitarist play it. After all, the Strat is the most recognized guitar. I love it! // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: jcs5234, on november 09, 2012

Features: American Stratocaster built in 1998, and I bought it used in 2005. 22 frets, blah blah you can read the other reviews if you want all the exact specs. The body is made of alder like almost all strats and the neck is maple with a rosewood cap. It has a Purple Metallic finish and before y'all make fun of me for buying a purple guitar it's Not about the look! It's about the feel and the sound! Has the tremolo with the two-point bridge and standard electronics. The only thing that came with this guitar was a molded case. // 10

Sound: I play blues and reggae mostly, but also dabble in hard rock (use my Gibson for that though). Hello? this is a Strat so it fits EVERY musical style. Play this thing through a pair of Fender Pro Juniors along with an Electro-Harmonix The Worm, DB-01 Crybaby From Hell, Dallas Arbiter Fuzzface, Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver, and an Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb. The guitar has single coil pickups so yes it is noisy when you stand near the tv or the amp or something. but that is with all single coils. no hum on positions 2 and 4 seeing as the middle pickup is reverse wound reverse polarized. the bridge pickup is very sharp and bright, the middle pickup is softer and not as annoying (hardly use it by itself), and the neck pickup is bell like and very sweet. I like position 2 (bridge and middle) with the tone rolled off the whole way and some creamy overdrive. This guitar can make any sound you want unless you want something that doesnt't sound anything like a guitar. I'll give it an 8 because it buzzes. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I have no idea how well the guitar was set up at factory because I got it 7 years after it was set up. The action is nice, low enough for my taste, but if you play metal and want to shred it could be a little lower. Pickups were at the proper height and the top was fine along with the bridge. I honestly cannot find anything wrong with this guitar. I bought this guitar and it looked Brand New then and it still does and I've been playing it for a year. I kinda wish the finish would wear down a little bit but I know that will come with more time. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played this guitar many many times live and it is a tank. Hardware looks great and it will last, the strap buttons were strap-lock ready and very solid. I never gig without a second guitar but I use different guitars for different things. The Strat would be fine by itself, and it's not like I have another Strat sitting there in case something happens. I rely heavily on it. As I said before, this finish still looks brand new which perturbs me because I wish it would wear off a little to get a bit more resonance and my personal touch but whatever. // 10

Overall Impression: I already listed my styles of music. This is a good match for everything that anyone can play. I've been playing for 7 years and I also own a Gibson SG Standard and an Ovation something or other that I inherited from my uncle that I use live. I have other guitars, but I don't use them as much, so I'm not gonna bother listing them. If I lost this guitar, I would buy another Strat, but I might favor an Eric Clapton Signature because I really like the active circuitry. Although I wish this had a maple neck instead of a rosewood one, I bought it based on the feel, so I'm not disappointed in it. I compared this to other stratocasters and telecasters along with other knock off versions. The main reason that I bought this guitar was the price and the fact that it just felt right. Nothing I wish that it had. In fact, I took off the tremolo arm because it got in the way so I wish it didn't have the arm at all. // 9

Price paid: A$ 1350

Purchased from: The Guitar Shop

Features: The guitar is an American Standard Stratocaster. Lets get one thing clear, it is a beauty! In terms of features, it has three pickups, with options of using an individual pick up or combining two of them. I.e middle and bridge pick up or just using the middle. Came with whammy stick. You need to take the stick off when you put the Strat in the case otherwise the case doesn't shut properly and you will most likely bend the arm. But its a simple screw off so no problem. It has a couple controls on the guitar, volume, tone. The finish is a olympic white, super polished, shiny. Love it. As the pickups are single coil, there is a hum noise when you are using one, but either you use two pick ups at the same time and its gone or you don't even hear it anyway when you are playing. Overall, happy with the features of the guitar. // 9

Sound: I like to play blues and hard rock mainly and oh yea this is the guitar for me. The Strat gives out super clean tones but also pumps out a nice distorted sound. It is really flexible. I'm using a Fender Super Champ XD amp with it, and they both go really well. I find I get the best sound out of the Strat and amp using a tiny bit of delay, bridge and middle pickups for solo, or middle and front pickup for rhythm, heaps of gain. Or if I'm playing clean, back the delay of a smidge and a tiny bit of gain. I'm extremely happy with the sound, my playing sounds 10 x better. Also, even when I'm doing a 3 note bend on the last fret the Strat still pumps out a clear tone. Its an amazing guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar, the shop changed the bridge to a flattail I think its callled. Pretty much, the guitar orginally had the section where the strings connect to the bridge not actually on the guitar, they were on a metal saddle of some sort. This is so the whamy arm has more flexibility however if string breaks or something, the tension in every one string is screwed so can be a pain. Hence why they changed it so where the strings meet the bridge, it is connected to the guitar body with only a little less flexibility of whammy arm but that doesnt't matter. They changed the strings to 10-46 because the ones on them were super thin. I don't know if this is a flaw but when I was removing the plastic from the body, the volume and tone caps pop off. When you see the parts on the inside the caps look really basic. They arnt loose or anything I just would of expected something of more quality, perhaps fibre glass, not crappy plastic. On another note, the finish looked amazing, super shiny. Overall, looks great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have only had the Strat for a week now so I can't say if it would be ok playing live but I would imagine it would and it would last for many years to come because it feels so powerful. I defs would depend on this guitar, best guitar I have got so far. And yea I would defs use this guitar on a gig without backup. Whether the finish will last, hard to say, may be a little thin but as long as I take it for servicing every once and again it wil be fine. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, the Fender American Standard Stratocaster is a perfect guitar for me and my playing ( blues, hard rock). Even acoustic songs sound great on it. If this was stolen, I would want to get another one but probs couldn't afford it. If I could though I would definitely, its such a good guitar. I love the super clean tones produced from bends up the fretboard, round 15-18th frets. I find that amazing as my last guitar cut out there. I don't hate anything about the guitar. My favourite feature is probs the bridge set up. Allows for my strumming hand to feel comfortable and not get in the way. I compared it with Gibson Les Paul, and by far I prefer this guitar. People rant on bout Les Pauls but a Strat is easily way better, such a better feel. The reason I chose this one was because in the store it was either this or the ash body Strat, but this one sounded better for some reason even though its less expensive. I wish it had perhaps a slightly more whiter finish but that's just me being picky lol. But yea its worth the money, great guitar, don't regret anything. Cheers Fender. // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: RHCP_rock, on november 09, 2012

Features: It was made in the USA. Mine has a maple wood finger board with 22 frets and rolled edeges which feels extremely good on the fingers. It has an alder wood body which is curved to fit nicely round the body. It is olympic white but is available in many other colours. The hardware is all chrome. It comes with a hardcase which is heavy but better than a broken guitar and a strap and cable. // 10

Sound: In a word the sound is amazing. But to put it in more detail this guitar is capable of most sounds apart from extreme metal. This guitar is perfect for nailing the chili peppers old funk rock style as well as sounds from Clapton, Hendrix, Knopfler, Page and well you get the idea. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Before I bought this guitar I checked it throughly to make sure there were no problems and luckily there weren't. The action was perfect for me and there were no scratches whatsoever. The pickups were set up nicely. And I didnt have to change a thing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can I'm sure stand alot before it dies on me. I haven't had it long but it feels like a safe solid guitar that doesnt have tuning problems and has safe strap locks. The finish seems like it wont wear off after years of being played so I haven't had any problems yet and I don't think I will. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a guitar that perfectly matches my playing and thats why I chose it over a Gibson and a Grestch. This is my second guitar and a great one at that. I alredy own a Boss ME-50, Marshall MG-50 DFX and a Encore electric. If it were stolen then I would immedieatly go out and buy ten more just so I could set some on fire like Hendrix. // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Bought in '05, all standard US Strat controls, maple neck with olympic white body 22 Jumbo frets, thinking of getting some locking tuners but I don't really nead them 'cause the standard ones are great, got Fender hard case (which is of unbelievably shoddy quality as the clasps dont match up properly). // 9

Sound: What type of music canyt this guitar handle? If you can't decide whether to get a Gibson or a Strat then choose the Strat for its sheer versatility, I can play some punk music with my mate going sick on his double pedal at the drums, or simply sit on my bed at night and play some more quite stuff without it even being amped up (it still sounds unbelievably Stratocaster'ish) linked to a cry baby wah the guitar wails, linked to a big muff teh guitar spits, anything is achievable. Try the Ernie Ball Super Slinky Guitar strings, they sound and fee great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: the guitar was setup fine, but they supply you with all the tools needed to change the action (which I did). It had no flaws and you could really tell that everything had been double checked (quite rightly so), I'm considering uprating the pickups to get an even better, more origional sound though, but the standard pickups are great (I just want to be different). // 10

Reliability & Durability: What would be the point in taking a backup guitar? The only thing which might break is the strings. // 10

Overall Impression: Superb all round guitar, once you pick it up you really cant put it down, I've carried mine around the house with me today whilst revising for exams, and I'm typing this review with the Strat around my neck now! // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: sysofadown9580, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar, a Fender American Stratocastor, was made in 1982. It has 22 frets, with a standard neck. Mohogany neck wood. Solid black finish with a white pick guard. Strat body style. Tele-syle bridge. Active electronics. One volume knob, two tone knobs. 5 pickup selections. // 7

Sound: I usually play a lot of System Of A Down (the best), Underoath, From First To Last, Hawthorne Heights, Slipknot, just a lot of heavier and a little harder stuff. The Strat is not exactly what I would pick for this style, but its great for beginners who are very dedicated. right now, I am using a Line 6 amp with mostly just distortion and a little reverb. I have tested it with chorus flange, phaser, tremelo, delay, etc. it works perfectly fine with all of them. The sound is fine but there is one problem with my model. It seems that on a clean setting, it makes a creaking sound with the fretboard. I asked a specialist and he said that the sound was supposed to be their for '60s-'70s rock, I'm still not really sure. As for the sounds it can make, it can do great harmonics, pullofs, behind-nut bends, etc. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was all ready to play back from the factory. I can't find anything wrong with the bridge, pickups, or anything like that. It's just an over all beautiful guitar. I wish I had gotten a different coloring, but 'young and naive' I guess. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definately last a long time, just everything about it. The strap buttons don't even turn (hint - don't get a standard Epiphone). I can definately depend on it live, practice, whatever. The finish is very thick and you can hardly tell it's there. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said before I play rock. Love it love it love it. I play System Of A Down, Underoath, Hawthorne Heights, From First To Last, Slipknot, MCR, etc. This guitar can pretty much suit any style of play, but I would recomend it for softer rock, country, blues, definately. I have been playing for about 2 years, but I play all the time and spend a lot of time playing. I own an Epiphone, Ibanez acoustic, Line 6 amp, Peavy amp, Squier bass, Fender bass amp. I would most likely get something else if I could as I am going to get an SG for a more specialized rock sound. I can't stand that creaking sound, which dropped it a point or two. I wish it didn't have that. But if you are willing to spend good money on a good beginner's guitar like such, it's a safe bet. // 8

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: guitar21@WE, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar Center BUFFALO

Features: This American Stratocaster Guitar has 22 medium jumbo frets, on a maple neck. The body is alder with a 3 color sunburst finish. The bridge is an American 2-point synchronized tremolo with stainless steel saddles. Comes with the usual Fender set up with 3 pickups connected to the 5-way selector and the 2 tones and 1 volumes button. What I loved about getting this was the case and accesories that came with it. The Fender molded case just made the whole deal sweet. // 10

Sound: This guitar is perfect for my style of music which is mainly classic rock, but it branches off into other catagories like metal and punk. The range of sounds is beautiful from this guitar. My set up is a 60 watt Peavey, with wah, phaser and a distortion (all used at differnt times) and I find that this guitar does a good job with a variety of sounds. This guitar very quiet with a great all around sound. I find it best for playing classic rock. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar, was ready to play as soon as I got it from Guitar Center. Everythign was set up fine, I didn't need to adjust anythign on it. The only flaw I found was a slight dink on the top of the neck near the tuners. Other than that, I love how it was set up, even to wonderful strings being on it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is meant to be played live. Being a Fender, I have faith that it will last me a life time. Everythign about this guitar is steady. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is that it is a perfect fit for me. I love to play classic rock and my favorite is Jimi Hendrix. Naturally, I find that the Strat works best with his style. I have been playing for 4 years and finally got enough money to buy the nice guitar, and it's wonderful. If this was lost or stolen, I would find and hunt down the person who stole it and make sure I had my precious Strat back in my hands. I love everything about this guitar. After playing with a squire Strat for 3 years, all the flaws I found with the cheaper squire, I find that the American Stratocaster takes care of. I strongly recommend looking into getting one if you save up and are serious about playing. // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: Ihearthetfield, on november 09, 2012

Features: Right here sitting in my lap is my American Stratocaster. It was made in 2005 in Corono California. It has 22 frets and has an alder body with a maple neck and fretboard. Mine has a sunburst finish that literally glows. It's gorgeous. It also has a very comfortable body and the neck is very slick and very comfortable. It has a string thru body design and it has a kind of meh tremolo that could have been a lot better. It has three single coil pickups. Single coils feed back when distorted yes. The thing is though that their great tone makes up for it. It has a five way selector Switch and a volume and two tone knobs. One for the neck and one for the middle. Tuners are regular not locking and it came with a hard case and a strap. // 9

Sound: Very nice clean. Way better clean than any Gibson. Humbuckers just can't compare to single coils in the clean department. Distorted the Strat is very bright and warm. Not great for death metal but awesome for blues and classic rock. If you want to play metal get a fat Strat and change the humbucker to a Seymour Duncan the regular Strat just isn't made for heavy metal. If the heaviest you play is Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd you should be fine. They feedback. It's annoying yes but while your actually playing a ton of the feedback goes away. It only gets annoying when your not playing. It's very versatile. It's three single coil pickups produce a multitude of sounds from clean stuff to searing blues riffs. Also the 2 and 4 spots in the switch produce the funky Fender quack. It's impossible to describe in writing you have to actually hear it. It's very cool. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups were a little low so I had to raise them for better output. The action was fine and everything was clean and perfect for playing. The finish is also flawless and the sunburst totally glows. I love it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is going to last forever. Just holding it you can tell how strong it is. Strats are the most durable hard working guitars ever. The bolt on neck is also a blessing because if you break the neck you can just replace it. If that were to ever happen on a paul, well lets just say it's finished. // 10

Overall Impression: Just a very versatile great guitar. Looks gorgeous, has a tremolo unlike GibsonS, and has three diffrent pickups that create a huge range of sounds. It's also going to last forever considering how durable it is. Neck is awesome too and I love how all the tuners are on one side. It contours to your body perfectly also and is the most comfortable guitar to play sitting down. It sure as heck can't play death metal but it can play everything else. I can even get it about as heavy as some Metallica solos but nothing else. I am just going to replace the pickups with EMGs down the road. // 9

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: vampwizzard, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Rudy's Music NYC

Features: 2005 model, 21 frets. Made in the USA. Solid alder body, black solid finish, rosewood fretboard. Pretty normal Strat body, made in Corona California neckplate, American tremelo bridge. Deltatone electronic system, which is a treble bypass. Non locking tuners which is ok, pickups are the delta tone pickups. volume control and two tone controls. Came with hardshell case, strap, cable, like 4 allen wrenches, trem arm, extra set of strings, wipe cloth. Overall a decent deal, I was not impressed with the tremelo arm, which screws in (poorly). I give it a 9 for that. // 9

Sound: I play rock/blues and this is the single coil sound I was looking for. I play through Marshall Valve State and also through my buddy's Hot Rod Deluxe, and it punches through the mix very well. The deltatone electronics give my Strat its own distinct Strat sound. It is a little noisey, but all non-noiseless single coil pickups are. The 2 and 4 positions give a very nice Strat "Honk" which are greatly impacted while using the appropriate tone knob. Variety wise, it will do anything. That's always been a Stratocaster's selling point. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was set up well at the shop, execpt the action is a little low. Normally I would appreciate this, but there is significant string buzz. It was easily corrected though, and I find no fault in that. The fretboard rolled edges were superbly done, as was the rest of the construction. The input jack became loose, but this is anticipated on a Strat input jack. It is a design flaw. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a tank. Strap buttons are solid, although I will most likely upgrade to straplocks. I would gig it without a backup if I was in a pinch. Strats have a tradition of standing up to brutal beatings, but I treat mine pretty well. The finish will be intact for a while I believe. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 5 years now in a rock band in Orange County, NY. This was an upgrade from my Squier Strat so I could stop using my friends poorly made custom guitar. I own a Gretsch acoustic, which was my main guitar. If this was stolen I might go with an american deluxe, but I really could not beat the deal on this guitar. I love the way it sounds. It is absolutely full sounding, the pickups are amazing, and it feels and plays like a monster. My favorite feature is the deltatone electronics, it really lets me come through the mix without increased volume. The only things I hate are the tremelo arm insert and the loose input jack. Not bad though for 900 dollars. // 9

Purchased from: Indonesia!

Features: Made in USA Fender American Stratocaster in black with maple neck. Has a 5-way selector with 2 tone and 1 volume controls. 3 Fender Strat single coil pickups. Came with a generous helping of accessories, including a Fender deluxe hard case, a cable, a whammy bar for the tremolo, and bunch of funny stickers, and all. Very well furnished. // 10

Sound: Sound is amazing, even through the somewhat crummy Peavey Blazer 158 40watt amp that I run it through. My music style is christian, rock and a little blues, and this sounds amazing, especially clean with blues. I have no idea why many people bash this guitar as being not so suited for distortion and even metal, as when I run this with my Boss Metal Zone distortion this distorted tones are fantastic, and biting, making leads sound amazing. I intend, though, to put in a Seymour Duncan hot rail at the bridge just to add a little more sustain, but for personal preference rather than essentiality. A fantastic sounding guitar, truly versatile and well worth the cash. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This was setup in california, and is great, apart from slight fret buzz on the 6th string, which I guess I will check again. Pickups were perfectly adjusted and the fretboard feels brilliantly smooth. It would be a 10, but 9 only due to the fret buzz. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It will definitely withstand live playing. I am overly energetic when playing and this thing works perfectly. Even better, it is not very heavy, suiting my shoulders better! The strap buttons are huge, they should not fail me in a gig. I am sure I can depend on it, but I do not use guitars in gigs without backups, just a policy of mine. The finish has not worn off even through hard playing, although since it is black it shows everything, my fault as I chose the color. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great, versatile match for my style of music. I have no regrets at all! If it were stolen, I would sit around and pout for abit, then go out and buy the exact same guitar. To all those Who are considering this guitar, go get it! // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: witty fool, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar was made in 2005 at the Corona, CA factory. It features a non veneered Alder body with a sunburst finnish, maple neck, 22 medium-jumbo frets, 3 custom staggered alnico 5 single coil pickups, 1 volume, 2 tonem 5-way switch and 2 point synchronized tremolo with stainless saddles bridge. The guitar also came with a free Fender hardcase with stickers, cables, allen keys, truss rod adjustments wrenches and saddle height adjustment wrench, polishing cloth and guitar strap. // 10

Sound: I like to play alot of blues and rock like Eric Clapton, SRV, AC/DC, Pink Floyd etc and the Strat handles it beautifully. It doesn't stop there, this guitar is so versatile you can get alot of sounds out of it. I've played this guitar through a Marshall MG50DFX and though the amp isnt a favourite of mine this guitar still sounds excellent. I have played it through other amps and have heard it at it's best and you can't beat it's sound. The pickups are good and the guitar has a real bright, clean tone when the bridge pickup is selected and a warmer full tone when the neck is selected. This guitar's sound and versatility is incredible. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came to me in perfect nick with out needing any thing done to it except for a loose cable input nut witch is easily fixed with a wrench. The action was nice and there were no flaws on the guitar at all. The neck was straight and smooth and it was clear that a lot of detail had been put into the guitar. Overall it came to me in perfect condition, but I had to tighten a few minor things and it was good to go. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played the guitar live, but I have No Doubt it would handle it with ease. It's a sturdy instrument that feels solid and well made. I would have no worries about playing live without a backup with this guitar. It has a durable finnish and only minor cosmetic flaws have resulted from playing it for over a year everyday (I clean it regularly though). The strap buttons are also fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I own and Epiphone LP and this guitar is my favourite by far. It handles all styles of music I play and looks the part aswell. If anything ever happened to this guitar I would buy it again for sure. // 10

Purchased from: eBay

Features: It's a 60th Anniversary American Stratocaster, made in the USA. Features include rosewood fingerboard with 22 medium-jumbo frets, original alder body shape and a C- shaped maple neck. Three American Vintage '57 single coil pickups (middle pickup is reverse wound to cancel the hum. Comes with an American two-point synchronized tremolo. Mine also came with a hard case (which is more comfortable than my bed) a strap and a noiseless cable. Controls are master volume and two tone knobs. Unfortunately the tuners are non-locking but still great. // 10

Sound: I mainly play thrash metal, so you may think I picked the wrong guitar, but with the right amp you could sound like Metallica. I use a Randall RG75 amplifier and select the second overdrive channel (with full contour ). The guitar's natural tone is very bright and full (ideal for solos). It has limitless posibilities, with the right settings any kind of music can be achieved. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The way this guitar is put together is truly amazing. No flaws at all. The hardware, the tuning pegs, the wood and the pickup selector, all top quality. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This Strat can take just about anything. The hardware looks very reliable, the strap buttons may need some adjusting though. The finish is definately going to last IF you take GOOD care of it. Wipe it clean after every time you play. When it comes to Live playing this guitar is extremely dependable. I would use it at a gig with no backup but not just yet. It takes some time to get used to. // 9

Overall Impression: I wouldn't say it entirely matches my style of music, but hey, nothing's perfect. If it were to get stolen the possibilities of me bying it again are 50/50. I love the quality of the sound. It's excellent. The look is a bit boring, but you've got to love that jeweled headstock. I chose this guitar over an ESP because of it's reputation. Sure wish it had humbuckers. // 9

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: boudieboom, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 1250

Purchased from: Huigens Totaal Music

Features: I owe a Fender American Standard 2008 Stratocaster, so it's more the new stuff for me, with the new finish and all. It has 22 Jumbo Frets, a fine rosewood neck with an alder body and, according to me, a super 3tone sunburst finish. It has got a floating bridge and you can equip a whammy bar on it, very cool indeed. The guitar has one volume knob and two tone knobs, a five way switch, and came with a new molded Fender case, a strap, a cable, some stickers, some keys, some tools and a little cloth to clean it. // 10

Sound: At this moment, I owe 4 electric guitars, but this one is absolutely my favorite! The Strat suits my music style perfectly, I like to play some funk, blues and rock, and this guitar can do it all, when I play it through my Marshall JCM2000 stack. I like the sound of the single coil pickups, but they can be a bit shrill at the bridge position. Although this is not such a problem for me, cause I mostly use the neck pickup, some people may not like it. The pickups produce some noise when you add some gain, but it has a noise cancelling circuit when you use the "2nd" and the "4th" position. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When i played it, it immediatly felt good, it also looked superb. When i took it out of the case i couldn't see any flaws in the paint. The pickups were nicely adjusted, the bridge was on the body (that was some sort of a dissapointment, but i could get it in position soon enough), and i needed to change the action a bit, so it played a little better for me. All in all the guitar was in good shape when i got it out of its case the first time, except for the bridge and the action. // 8

Reliability & Durability: YES! This guitar whitstands live playing. In the meantime I have formed a band, and I ALWAYS use this guitar when we are gigging. The hardware is all good, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, it never fails me. I sure can depend on it, I use it without a backup, just because I know this guitar won't fail me, it's that good. The finish is good, I have this guitar now for two years, and although there some scratches from lots of playing, the finish is still intact. // 10

Overall Impression: I play funk, rock and blues, and this guitar suits those styles perfectly, although sometimes with the heavier stuff, I think humbuckers do a better job. I have been playing for 3 years now, and I have this guitar in my possesion for two years, we're inseparable! If this guitar was stolen, I would cry, I would cry and then I would rush over to the music store to get me a new one, I can't do without it, I just love it, and it will be my guitar that I will use the most for I think all my life to come. // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: nightmare28, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: second hand

Features: The Stratocaster was made in 1989 in USA. It got an alder body and maple fretboard with 22 jumbo frets. The fretboard is with gloss finish which makes it slicker, some people like it, some don't, I personally love it, on the other hand my brother prefers the rosewood fretboard or the unfinished maple fretboard, so its to each his own. The neck is C shape. The body finish is black, so it kind of looks like Clapton's Blackie. There are up sides and downsides to having an old stratocaster, and I'll start with the downside, the tone knobs only work on the neck and the middle pickup, plus the Switch blade is a little loud, the pickups are the stock ones, didn't change them, although considering getting a noiseless set. The Strat got mostly the regular Strat fetures, 1 volume knob, 2 tone knobs. But it got one great feature about it and its the Kahler (Floyed Rose licensed) bridge and nut, the Spyder model. Its more difficult to setup and when you change strings its a lot more work, but if you know how to do it then its a perfect bridge, it got the locking system that can hold a tuning for very long time. The scale length is 25.5" (647.7 mm) radius is 12"(305 mm). Standard Gotoh Non locking tuners. Came with a hardshell case. And considering how old is the guitar, I couldnt have expected a better condition, only a couple of small scratches that you really have to look to notice. The headstock is the small kind, not the 70s large kind, which in my opinion looks better. Another downside to it is the way the pickup holes are cut in the body, its 3 holes for 3 single coils, which suits me because I don't like humbuckers on a strat, but the problem is that they are cut exactly to fit the pickups, so I can't take the middle pick up and put it there in reverse, something I like to do on a strat. Give more variety of tone. and for those of you who wonder why such high price, I live in Israel, here in the store a brand new american Standard Stratocaster cost 1600$ // 8

Sound: Sounds amazing. Let me tell you right away, all the new strats I played in my life, (and I played quiet a few, every single music store in the state knows me already) don't sound anything close to how the old strats sound. Tone is much richer. Makes me wish I could have a pre-CBS era stratocaster, but for that kind of money I can buy a new nice Cadillac. Mostly I play bluesy stuff and classic rock, influenced from Clapton, led zeppelin, Hendrix, etc... Although sometimes I do play metal like black sabbath, and this guitar when set on the 2nd pickup position, the neck and the middle together (I know some consider it the 4th position) it gives much darker tone, perfect for metal and very heavy music, so over all I can get sound I need from it, the only downside is what I mentioned earlier, can't control the tone on the bridge pickup. My personal equipment is very simple, basically all I have is a Fender Frontman 25R amplifier, no pedals. I'm on a budget. And the cable I use is very old that I bought for 5 bucks 3 years ago. So with those its quiet noisy, still enough for home practice, and when I go somewhere with the guitar there is usually a better equipment and almost no noise. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar got a pretty low action, when I got it the B string were buzzing a little. The setup wasn't too good. But then again I'm never satisfied with a guitar's setup unless I did it to fit me. After working on it for a little bit I got a good clean sound with no buzz, put on new strings and raised them a little, I don't like it when they are too low, gave it a little truss rod adjustment, and set the pickups height to my liking, I really don't consider this a downside, everybody got their own taste. As I mentioned earlier the pickup Switch blade is a little noisy, need to change it. It really shock me how good was the condition of the guitar when I saw it, when I was told its from 89 I imagined it would look like the relic guitars, but it looks almost like a brand new. No rust, great quality wood. Everything exaclty the way its suppose to be. // 8

Reliability & Durability: this guitars withstanded 20 years and looks almost like new, I got a squire Strat that is 4 years old and looks much older then this strat, and I saw many guitars from the 80s and 90s that gain many flaws over the years, not this one, it works great for live playing, great strap buttons, never any trouble with them, I could definetly use it on a gig without worrying. the finish is great, like I said, I love the way it looks, almost like clapton's blackie. And like I said, if it lasted 20 years and still looks 99% new, it will last much longer. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all this guitars suits perfectly my needs, I couldnt expect more with the budget I have. I believe I really landed on something great with this guitar. In this review I didn't compare it to guitars from its price range, since its not a budget guitar or an entery level guitar, but rather considered professional, so I compared it to guitars like Gibsons, PRS (and I don't mean SE) and other american Fenders, now I wouldn't say this guitar is on a level of an American Stratocaster deluxe but definitely better then the new Standard stratocasters. // 9

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: Danfender, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: turnkey london

Features: This is an American made Standard Stratocaster, it has 22 frets, 3 single coils, a five way Switch and more. The neck is made out of maple and on mine I have a maple fingerboard. Mine was made in early 2006 and is in black with an aged t. shell scratch plate! It looks great! // 10

Sound: I play rock/blues and this sounds great. If your amp has got a good distortion or you have a decent pedal you can get some great distortion tones. This guitar sounds really good clean and has a bright sound (not too bright though). It is such a versatile guitar waaaaaay more so than a les paul! Great for doing all those Hendrix phrases! Also the tuners are great this thing stays in tune for so long! The bridge is very good as well as the strings last a long time before they break. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My Finish looks great in the black. The fit is good and the guitar feels good to play as the body wraps around you. It plays beautifully and was set-up really well. There hasn't been a single problem with how the guitar plays yet. The Action just right. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Reliability and durability is really impressive on this guitar. This guitar withstands Live playing very well. It isn't noisy at all. Also the strap buttons are great I haven't had my strap fall of once! The hardware looks like it is built to last. I would feel absolutely fine using this guitar without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: You really won't regret it, this guitar is Fender so it is built to last and I'm quite convinced by mine that it will last a good time. If you can't decide over a Strat or a les paul I strongly advise you to go for a Strat, mainly because they are just so much more versatile. If it were stolen or lost I would definitely without any hesitation buy another one. // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: thatoneguydave, on november 09, 2012

Features: I have a 2001 American Standard Stratocaster, With a Rosewood fingerboard. All features are standard, including the 3 single coil pickups and 5-way selector. // 10

Sound: For my Blues/Rock influence, the american Strat is a perfect fit. It has a nice bite when you play it and sounds fantastic clean, although it can be strained playing with extremely heavy distortion (a la metal) due to the nature of the single coil pickups. However, it sounds great with everything else. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: On this guitar, the action is set up pretty well, (it was for me), although having bought it from a private seller I can't say much for the factory defaults. but the finish is triburst and looks good, nothing wrong with the set-up in any way. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar, being 9 years old has already taken some dings and dents, but it still plays great. I have and will continue to play gigs without a backup guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: For playing 3 years and my blusey influences, this guitar is a dream. If it were stolen I would be heartbroken and hopefully (money doesn't grow on trees!) be able to buy another. on the down side, you don't get much sustain due to the bolt-on neck and the single coil pickups don't play metal as well as a jackson, esp, or even a les paul. but for me, this guitar is perfect // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Its a 2010 American Standard Strat with the 3 shade tobacco sunburst. It has the maple neck with 22 jumbo frets. It also came with a Fender 10 Ft. cable, the whammy bar and also a fantastic modeled to fit hard case that is waterproof and very durable. It is also very light weight, which is good when you are on stage. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn. And this guitar suits both of their songs perfectly. I use it with the 15 watt Vox Valvetronix amp. And the tones I get whether its clean or distorted, its always phenomenal. You hear ever note crisp and clear. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up from the factory was perfect. Unlike the B.C. Rich Master Metal Warlock guitar that I bought (one of the biggest mistakes of my musical career). The action is perfect, the pickups are perfect, the neck is alligned perfectly, what more can you ask for. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Ive been playing this guitar for about eight months now continously, and its still looks brand new. The gloss finish on the neck is perfect so that the wood never wears down. The finish on the body is solid and will be there for a very long time. Keep in mind, I treat this guitar like a baby, but even still if I ever dropped it, I think it could take a beating. But that would be really hard to do because the strap buttons are also very solid (unlike the Les Pauls). // 10

Overall Impression: If this guitar was lost or stolen, I would definately go out and get the same guitar. It would have to be the 2010 model though, because i really like the hardware on this one. The only other one I would consider buying is the 57' reissue strat. That is also a real piece of art. But for now I don't even think about it getting lost or stolen, that would just make me depressed. I love this guitar more than anything, and i recommend everybody to try it out. // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: MrVulf, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash Brooklyn, NY

Features: This guitar was made in 2008. It's a new line of Strats boasting the American Standard name. Just as the name implies it was made in America, more specifically in Corona, California. It has 22 medium jumbo frets. 25.5" scale and I think is a C Shape neck although I could be wrong. It fits in my hand very well though. The body is solid Alder. There are many different color options, I got mine in Olympic White (because I'm a Hendrix fanatic). I think it's a Nitrocellulose finish which means it will yellow after a while, but I think it just makes it look cool and Vintage. 2-point American tremolo, 5-way selector and one volume and 2 tone knobs, typical Strat stuff. 3 single coil pickups. Also there is a hard shell case which basically allows you to throw your Strat down the stairs. There is also a cable and strap included. // 10

Sound: The sound that comes out of this thing is amazing. The tonal possibilities are endless. The singles coil pickups are great. The neck pickup is great for a lead tone, extremely rich. The bridge pickup has that great Fender twang. This is an extremely versatile guitar. You can play all kinds of rock and blues. Even metal (with a pedal), although for metal a humbucker would be better, so you can but an H/S/S or H/H Strat. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar was perfect from the the box. I tried it out in the shop. The clerk tuned it up and it was ready to go. Everything was adjusted perfectly. The finish is thin however. This does allow the guitar to resonate better but at the same time the paint is more likely to chip. Also the fretboard has a nice gloss finish which gives it a great Vintage look. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can definitely be thrown around. The paint may be thin but the body itself is extremely durable. My friend dropped his down the stairs and it plays just as good (this is not recommended however). The strap buttons seem to be good although I've only had this guitar for a little over a month now. Very dependable guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar. If you like blues, lite rock, rock, hard rock, punk, grunge etc. this guitar will work well. This goes great with my Fender Blues Jr. although it's play well through solid-state amps too, if that's your thing. If this were stole I'd probably buy it again. The price is about 1k USD (I got it on sale for 850), which is not cheap but this guitar is worth every penny. The neck and body are just perfect. You can play for hours. // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: wyldeshredder, on november 09, 2012

Features: 2009 American SSS Strat. Candy Cola finish, maple freboard. Typical Strat features, plus a no hold tone pot for the bridge and middle p/ups. Having it set at 10 essentially bypasses it in your wiring. Awesome neck curve. I usually hate bigger necks, but I kinda liked this one. 5 way Switch offers anything from ice-pick, to quackin, to warm and clear. // 8

Sound: Really bright. Gets very fizzy at high gain settings. Nice sparkly and quacky clean. Excellent for twangy sounds as well. Blues and country all the way. As far as high gain sounds go, it IS possible. With the tone knob at 4-6 you can get a decent, not so fizzy high gain sound. The definition is lacking compared to a HB, and the punch is not there. Very articulate, though dark. That spot where you get rid of the fizz gets rid of what you need to survive in the mix as well. It can cover a lot of ground, though blues and country are its home. It can get into some rock for sure, but humbuckers have proven to be better suited (for me atleast). Running through Marshall TSL60 and Mesa/Boogie Mark IV. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was a little high at first. The neck shape was awesome, I really like it. Maple fretboard felt great. The saddle for the low E string always caused trouble, it used to just keep getting lower with use. I played it fairly hard, but I would expect an American made guitar to hold its own. My Korean tele always did fine. Wiring was great, finish was great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As mentioned, the low E saddle was nothing but trouble. One gig it ended up causing me a ton of fret buzz by the end of the night. Wouldnt gig it without a backup, mainly because it can't handle everything. When I gigged with it, it was kind of a sub-in guitar. Like a pinch-hitter for Jimi tunes and stuff like that. Trem caused tuning problems, and was no fun to setup. PRS trem is far superior in my opinion. // 6

Overall Impression: It was bought in a period of Strat craze. I was big into SRV, Jimi and Skynyrd. It worked well in the few specific applications I needed it for, but failed in all others. Was not reliable for me, and was sold within 6 months of purchasing. It remained at home more often than it went out to gigs. Beautiful guitar, just never worked out for me. Wouldn't buy another strat, unless I drastically changed my style of playing. // 6

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: Sshmoo, on november 09, 2012

Features: I bought my American Stratocaster, new from Guitar Center. It was made in 2009 in Corona California. It has a laminated, 22 medium jumbo fret, maple neck and 25.5 scale. The neck is bolted on, not glued, like most Fenders. The body is a Standard Strat Ash with a Black finish and a 3-Ply white pickguard. The bridge is a bent saddle type with a tremolo. There are three Single coil Alinco-V pickups with a five way selector switch. The tuners are stock and tend to slip. The guitar came with a high quality hard case and all the tools needed to make adjustments. The pickups and tuners could have been better and the pickguard was slightly scratched. Also, strings seem to snap very easily on this guitar, I don't know if it's me, the strings or the bridge that's doing it though. // 8

Sound: I play anything from Delta blues to heavy metal (Metallica, Sabbath, etc.) this includes classic rock but not much metalcore or death metal. I played this guitar through a Line 6 Spider Valve 212, this is not a spider III or something similar. It comes with Bugera tubes, so the sound I was hearing is what it should be. To be brutally honest, the guitar was quite noisy when run through heavy distortion. It did, However, have a very bright, almost bell-like, sound. The neck pickup sounded great with a blues driver set to low and a compressor. The Bridge pickup handled AC/DC or Led Zeppelin sounds very well. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The Guitar was set up fairly well in the factory, the action was low, but not low enough to buzz. I later set it up myself, but the factory settings were fine. The tuning pegs were slightly loose, but nothing too bad. Another problem is that the finish on the pickguard was scratched and made it look bad. I ended up replacing it the first string change, but it was still annoying. My biggest concern was the bridge, the high E string seemed to snap a lot more than it should have, I fixed that with after-market saddles but still. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would gig with this guitar, but I would bring a backup, the strings would snap way too much. The hardware seems like it will hold up, the strap buttons are solid and seem sturdy. The finish is beautiful and hasn't scratched off much yet. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, after some adjustments that is. A new bridge and saddles is a must and the tuners should be replaced. I have been playing for five years and this is the best guitar I've ever owned. If it were stolen I would track down the thief and beat his face in with my bare fists. Or I would just buy a new one. I love it's tone and how well it can handle the blues and classic rock I like to play. This guitar is not for metalcore, death metal, or any other super-heavy metal. // 9

Purchased from: PMT birmingham

Features: This is the new Fender american Strat. It has a maple neck, with jumbo frets and is finished in olympic white. The neck feels like it has been played and the three single coil pick ups are Standard american Fender pick ups. The tunes are like the old Fender tunes that get smaller and you work away from the nut. The case includes a Fender cable, strap, and a trem arm. // 10

Sound: WOW the sound is amasing! Now the Fender Strat was made for blues, surf, rock, country in fact anything. I did try some yngwie which really did work however if you want to sound like him you need the neck and bridge pick ups as stacked pick ups and a scalloped neck. The neck pick up is the best sound in the world. With a little gain and slap reverb you sound just like SRV, Hendrix and John Mayer. the neck pick up can cope with most styles but don't over do the OD use harldy and gain but crank the volume and you'll sound really cool. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Fender say that the back of the bridge should be 1/4 inch from the body and mine is that. every thing about this guitar shows that Fender took a lot of time and effoert designing and building these guitars. They fell just like a Strat should feel, they sound like a Strat should feel. The olympic white is slightly darker than the Squier olympic white, this gives it a worn/loved feel than makes it look even cooler when you open the supplied hard case, which I have to say is much better than the old shaped one. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its a Fender, so it's made to get beaten up. it's made in America so you can't go wrong with build quiality. The only problem is that if a string snaps, with the bridge set and the angle the rest of the strings may go out of tune, but when you restrng the guitar make sure you stretch in the strings and they wont go out of tune. When you take the sticker off the trem arm there is a small spring that may fall out, this keeps the arm steady, so don't loose it, I suggest that you put it in the treem arm bag when you arn't playing the d=guitar or using the arm. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a must for every guitarist. Personally I think you only need two guitars to really rock, a Fender Strat and a Gibson les paul, obviously there's guitars with spicky bits that seem all cool and mean, but when you plug this into a Marshall and rip out the solo from voodoo chile or since you've been gone the guitar all makes sense. If it got stolen I would probably cry untill I got it back or I bought another one. This guitar is one of the two greatest guitars in the world and I order you to buy one. Stop buying toy spicky guitars that look mean but sound like a baked bean can with a rubber band on it and buy the guitar Hendrix, clapton, John Mayer, SRV, Eric Johnson, yngwie, richie blackmore, joe walsh infact I bet every guitarist you've heard of has owned/got or wants a Fender. // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: WesM.Vaughan, on november 09, 2012

Features: 2007 model American Standard Strat(ASS) Olympic White Finish, Rosewood Fretboard. Replaced Stock pick-ups with Texas Specials. Replaced the Fender Bullet strings with Ernie Ball .013-.056 gauge. 3 knobs to control overall volume and then tone for the bridge and neck pickups. Pretty much a no nonsense guitar. // 10

Sound: You probably already guessed what I was trying to achieve from this guitar. It works great for playing Texas blues. The way I have it set up keeps it limited to the styles/sounds that can be created, however, this is still a very versatile guitar. As long as your not after a humbucker sound, this guitar could be used to play anywhere from jazz to country. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was very low from the factory. Very easy to play. Then I threw some .013-.056's on it (brought the action up) and you can wear your fingers out pretty quick. My only criticism was with the finish. There was a small hairline crack on the body where the neck is bolted on to the body. However that is minor compared to what is on it now. I don't buy guitars for their aesthetic appeal. They are tools to get the job done. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems pretty solid. I can't imagine what problems a gigging musician might have. Hell, look at the abuse Stevie's NO. 1 went through. My only problem with it is gonna be getting a fret job done so it doesn't damage the fretboard. I've had it about 2 years now and their are some deep pits on the fret wires. This is no discrepancy against the guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Basically i bought this Strat to achieve the SRV tone. So far it has delivered. Even playing through a Line 6 spider, it sounds good. Stock, this guitar is much more versatile in terms of style/sound than the way I have it setup. Not as versatile as a Gibson ES-335. Bottom line is this is a professional guitar. Unless there is a problem from the factory, it should make your guitar playing shine. // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: TomGroenendaal, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 880

Purchased from: Feedback Rotterdam

Features: This guitar is a 2007 American made Standard Stratocaster. Rosewood fretboard, C-shape neck, 22 frets and a 2 points tremolo. The body is an alder body and the guitar is equipped with 3 American Standard single coils. I bought this guitar used, so it didn't come with a case. // 9

Sound: It suits my music style perfectly. I mostly play John Mayer, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton etc. The sounds that come out of this guitar are (IMO) perfect for this style(blues/rock), so if you're also a fan of this type of music, this is a must-try guitar. I'm using a crappy Rok Axe 50 watt amp, a DigiTech GNX 3 and a Vox Satchurator. When I'm using my Stratocaster, I use a Fender Blackface pre-amp on my GNX (for the nice cleans). I also use a tubescreamer modulation (GNX) for some SRV shuffles and when I'm soloing, I use a combination of that + my Satchurator, which gives it a nice, warm bass-boost (when used properly) and it's a tone heaven for me! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar at Feedback Rotterdam. They set it up for me, and the action wasn't perfect, but that wasn't a factory flaw. The rest of the guitar was perfect. The pickups were adjusted good, and the guitar didn't have major flaws, only a few scratches from the previous owner. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm pretty sure this guitar will withstand live playing. It looks solid and it feels solid. I do use 2 guitars when I play live, but that's just because I use an HSH Ibanez for Satriani stuff, and my Stratocaster for the other songs, so I don't really have a back-up, but I'm confident that this guitar won't bring a lot of trouble. I'm planning to replace the strap buttons with strap locks. Not because they're weak, but I don't want to take a risk. I'm only 15 years old, so 880 is a lot of money for me. The finish looks to last for a while, but I don't care. A new-looking Strat is awesome but so is a relic Strat. // 10

Overall Impression: As I mentioned before, I mostly play blues/rock, and I don't think I hace to tell that it's a perfect match. I have been playing guitar since I was 7, so that's 8 years now, and this guitar is by far the best guitar I've ever heard. I own 4 electric guitars (Ibanez RG 350 EX, Dean EVO XM, Caliber JCK and this Fender), and my Fender is really my showpiece. If it were stolen, I really wouldn't know what to do, but if I ever saw the jackass who stole it, I would stick my Dean's neck in his a... nevermind. I just love it, and I will NEVER sell it. // 10

Price paid: € 1198

Purchased from: Keymusic

Features: My very personal Stratocaster was made in the USA (like duh!)in 2008. It has 22 jumbo frets, a rosewood fingerboard and a maple neck. It has got an alder body in a typical black finish. The bridge is a Strat-style floating bridge, which is diffirent from the older models. The guitar is equipped with one volume knob and 2 tone knobs, and ofcourse the typical 5-way selector Switch. It has 3 alnico-5 passive single coil pickups. Lastly, the guitar has stock Fender non-locking tuners. It came with a Fender hardcase, a cable, a strap, some other tools and a Fender Champion 600 all-tube amp. // 10

Sound: I play mostly blues and classic rock/metal. Sometimes also a little metal la Metallica. I am using this guitar with the Fender Champion 600 amp that came with it togheter with Amplitube software and it sounds awesome! This guitar, togheter with the amp and the software suits my style perfectly. With some creativity you can get any sound out of this guitar, from a mellow clean tone, to a midrangy crunch to a heavy dropmid distortion! The only negative point I can find about this guitar is the noise. Due to its single coil pickups, when using only one pickup, it has a little bit of hum, not a lot but it's hearable. But apart from that, its sound is terrific! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup pretty wel at the factory, and I haven't changed the setup ever since. I only experienced some rattling noise of my strings in the beginning, but I think that's normal with a Brand New set of strings. Another little flaw I've experienced where the tone knobs. Strangely enough, you can turn them in the wrong direction (when at maximum, you kan keep turning them up). It doesn't affect your tone but it is quite irritating if you do this by mistake. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty confident that it will stand a Live performance. The strap button is solid and it doesn't look like it is going to fall apart suddenly. I really think you can depend on it without any backup, but to perfectly honest, I would have no choice because I've sold my old electric guitar. I heave this guitar for 3 months now, so I could tell if the finish would wear off easily, but if it did, I wouldn't be borthered;-) // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, it matches my style of music perfectly. I have been playing for 3-4 years and I own a Roland Cube 60, a Fender Champion 600, amplitube software and I have owned an Epiphone Les Paul 100. Togheter with the champion amp and amplitube, this guitar is wicked, and compared to my old Epiphone, it is the holy grail! If it was stolen, I would track the guy down, get my guitar back and would drill him anally with a cactus. // 10

Price paid: A$ 1500

Purchased from: Billy's

Features: 2011 American Standard, sunburst, gloss finish, white scratch plate. Rosewood fretboard, alder body. 22 medium frets... There's not a lot to add really that hasn't been mentioned by every other review. It is the standard, after all. Mine came with a lockable Fender/SBK hard case which is black with black inside. Other goodies included are a Fender strap and lead, small Allen keys for Bridge adjustments, a polishishing cloth and an intructions manual which is fairly redundant considering there are more than enough explainations on youtube demonstrating the pots, pick ups, selector Switch combinations. Of course, if you have ears you'll hear the differences in sound soon enough. Its nice a light too. Nowhere near as heavy as a Les Paul. Oozes a lot more cool as well! // 9

Sound: I love the single coil sound over humbuckers. The singles coils are supposedly noiselss and I have to aggree. Played through a Boss GT8 deck into a small Fender practice amp, the only sounds it makes are intended. I'd love to play it louder more often but the missus and I live in a unit and I don't think the neighbours would appreciate me stripping the paint of their walls with a million decibles. Sound quality wise, its everything I expected. The harmonics are brilliant and clear. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Nothing wrong here. If there was anything negative to say right now, it's that she's super glossy that i'm paranoid of damaging it because it looks so damn good. In reality, this is only because its my newest baby and marks/ware will come with time and drunkeness. The neck is slick, no sharp fret ends. The set up has not been altered since the factory set and by chance, it's been set up perfectly for me. Someone else may have picked faults because it may not have been set up the way they like it but I don't care because it doesn't belong to someone else. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it for a week so it all smells brand new still. Feels well constructed and its a proper Strat so i don't see it falling apart any time soon. I can't see this guitar NOT withstanding a gig but the other night, the 1st string's Bridge saddle moved a little off its natural orientation, parallel to the strings. It was poiting about 20 degree down. I wasn't playing particularly hard and I didn't notice it until i gaving everything a clean down, so it didn't make a different aside from the high e techincally being slight;y sharper due to the icrease in tension. I've no idea how it happened because bending that string down would bend it off the fretboard, but it slid back into place with a gentle nudge. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar. I don't mean the Fender Strat is great. I mean this exact guitar is fantastic. I'd been eyeing off a new Strat for a while and each guitar being slightly different, I tried a few "identical" guitars, then chose this one. If you're in the market for a new instrument, and you want a tried and tested piece of tomorrow's music history, go to your favourite shop and try one out. I love Blues. BB, Jimi.. Its perfect for blues. I don't really entertain metal. There are plenty of other guitars around for that style, but in my personal opinion for blues there aren't many guitars better suited. As far as playability is concerned, the neck feels worn in already and as soon as I started playing it, I felt like I'd owned it for years. My favourite thing about the Strat is that it feels like it moulds around my beer gut really well which suits me fine. It's like the cutaway on the back was Custom shaped for me. The guitar fits me - I don't have to fit my shape to the guitar. My only gripe with the case is there could have been a small pocket or other similar comparmtent to throw the usual odds and ends I'd normally carry like a handful of picks and other random crap I like to have on hand. Its really only a small price to pay because its certainly a case you could trust to keep you guitar safe in. If this guitar was stolen, it would want to have been pinched by another guitarist because if I found out it was stolen by some junkie mofo in need of their next feed via needle, I'd hunt the oxygen thief down and dead set bury them under the biggest pile of king hits ever delivered. Then I'd buy 2 more and store 1 in a bank vault for retirement. // 9

Purchased from: R&B Music Aberdeen

Features: Guitar was made in 2010 at the Fender Corona plant (in California). It features an ash body in Sienna Sunburst polyurethane finish and a maple neck with medium jumbo frets. It has 22 frets, a satin finish on the back of the neck, staggered tuners, a single string tree and a 3-ply pickguard. It has a two point American Standard tremolo, with bent steel saddles and a copper infused high mass block for increased resonance and sustain. It has three single coil American Standard Alnico V pickups, a volume control and two tone controls. It also features a Delta Tone System, which has an indent at ten which eliminates any filtration through capacitors resulting in a clear bell like tone. It came with a cable, strap, whammy bar, strings and a SKB moulded hard case. It would have been nice to have some locking tuners but that's the only improvement I can think of. // 9

Sound: I mostly play music such as Eric Clapton, John Mayer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Who etc. I have to say, it suits my playing style perfectly. I'm playing it through a Vox VT40+ and it sounds really good, although I'm looking to purchase a proper tube amp soon. I get some really good clean tones from the guitar thanks to the mixture of maple neck and an ash body, it sounds great. It's not quite that classic Strat tone, but more like an evolved sound from the original. It sounds really bright and "spanky" when the tone knobs are turned up, but when you roll them back you get a really nice creamy tone that's really mellow and sounds great with a bit of distortion. Obviously it's not quite as raw as a humbucker, but if I was after that I would get a Les Paul. There really is quite a lot of sounds you can get from the guitar by playing around with the pickup selector and tone knobs as well as the amp settings. I don't use any pedals with it, but I'm sure the possibilities are endless when you take them into the equation. I prefer these pickups by far to any of the noiseless ones Fender make (N3, SCN, Vintage Noiseless etc) and they sound great but I would like them to be a little bit more like the classic sound. I might look into some 57/62's or some 69's. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came set up pretty well. I'm not sure if that was from Fender or if the guys in the shop set it up before I picked it up. The action was pretty low, but too low. It's just the way I like it, really easy to fret notes but with no rattle or anything. The pickups were set to the factory recommended settings and I haven't felt the need to play around with them, but no doubt I will at some point. The tremolo was set to float straight out of the case, and it stays in tune pretty well, sometimes requiring a quick pull in the up on the whammy bar to bring it up to pitch. I gave the whole guitar a good look over and haven't seen or found any flaws. The two piece body is really well matched up, the neck is comfortable and there's no rough frets. There's no marks on the body or on any of the metal parts. The quality control at Fender must be spot on, and it came with a tag where the guys that inspected it before it left the factory signed off on it. I'm really impressed with how flawless it is, my only gripe is that it came with .09's and I usually use .10's. Not that that's exactly what I would call a fault. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played anywhere but out of the house yet, but I would feel totally comfortable taking it to a live gig. It feels like it would withstand some pretty hard knocks, after all it's a strat, Its going to last a while. The finish is polyurethane so it's pretty tough - no chance of it looking like a relic a few years down the line. I probably would take another guitar as a backup, but that would just be as a precaution or for different tunings, I really wouldn't expect to have to use it because of a problem with the strat. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my main guitar now, I really can't put it down. If something happened to it I would buy another one ASAP. The finish is absolutely beautiful, the best I've seen. I spent a while trying out different guitars before I bought this and it really was the best I played. The only thing that was better was a Custom Shop Clapton Strat - but that was a bit out of my price range. This is my first strat, and my first Fender and I'm impressed. Everything from the attention to detail to the sound to the playability is just spot on. It truly is worth more than the sum of it's parts. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a versatile workhorse of a guitar. It really is a brilliant guitar. // 10

Purchased from: Northern Lights Music, Littleton, NH

Features: - 2004 American made model in 3 colour sunburst. - 22 Med/Jumbo frets with maple neck and fretboard. - Standard pick ups later replaced with Texas Specials. Purchased second hand in Littleton NH with very little use to it, still had the plastic film on backing plate. Came with a hardcase and Vintage Fender strap. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my musical needs down to the ground! I usually run it through a Marshall AVT150 along with an Ibanez TS9 tubescreamer. I replaced stock PUs with Texas Specials and this guitar sounds unreal! I generally play blues/rock and there is just a huge variety in sound as I switch through the PU settings. I usually have the amp on a cleanish sound with the tubescreamer giving the power, combined with cranking up the volume the sound is superb, very full and round sound with a hint of brightness, especially on the Mid/Bridge pickups. I generally play using the Neck PU most, sounds fantastic, that real bluesy Strat tone. Best sounding guitar you can buy. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar, everything was factory set as it should be. I set it up to suit myself and the settings hold very well. I have the bridge slightly floated and it hold tune perfectly no matter how much abuse the tremelo takes (I don't use it too much though). Fitting the Texas Specials involved no hiccups as the wiring was very straight forward and in perfect order. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Solid as a rock, the only problem was the strap button threading itself but that may have been me! A slightly bigger screw sorted it and is holding perfect. The beauty of these guitars in my opinion is that they respond so well to age and wear, they actually gain more character the older they get. I like my guitar to appear "played". I look after it but don't over worry on any small imperfections. They're personal. // 10

Overall Impression: If you are a blues/rock player and want a distinctive sound, this guitar is the one to get. I've been playing over 10 years now and this by far is my favourite guitar, my main axe. I own a Gibson Explorer (which I payed for brand new!) and don't play it half as much as my lovely second hand strat. I love everything about the guitar, its feel, its flexibility, its made to fit. There's no other guitar I'd want in the world except my Strat. // 10

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: Artemis Entreri, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This is a classic Stratocaster, pretty much the same it's been since it's birth. The only significant changes Fender has made since it's creation are the addition of a 22nd fret and a no load tone pot for the middle and bridge pickup. It comes with a (supposedly) one piece alder body though mine and a few others I've seen look like two pieces. It's finished with urethane which is also a change from the older nitro finishes. It comes with a maple neck with either maple or rosewood fingerboard. The bridge is the standard American floating trem which I plan to block as soon as I get the time though they've actually done a remarkably good job with it unblocked. The controls are fairly simple, a 5 way switch with two tone pots and a master volume control. It comes with three of Fender's American Standard pickups. The no load pot is pretty simple, when turned to ten it removes the circuit entirely, allowing for a brighter tone but when it's turned back it works like a normal pot. I find this slightly irritating when trying to turn the tone down but I've found I really enjoy the brighter tones. From the factory the guitar came with a wonderful solid case with plenty of storage and protection. Surprisingly, I found a strap, cable, wrenches and a few other things in the case. Good job Fender! For more specifics, please refer to the Fender site. // 8

Sound: I play a wide variety of styles and therefore need instruments that can produce a wide variety of tones. It goes easily from spanky Fender cleans to growling overdrive to screaming 80s distortion. I use it with a deluxe reverb and a Fulltone OCD and I can achieve everything but those fat, modern metal tones where the PRS takes over. My only real complaints come from the pickups. Their clean sound is rather bland, almost a mockery of the classic Fender tone. They sound great overdriven and distorted however with relatively low noise for single coils. I plan to change them out for something with a more classic sound, potentially custom shops or maybe some hand wounds, we'll see. The body itself, unamplified is wonderfully resonant. It sustains longer than my PRS and rings like a bell. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory the guitar was poorly set up. The action was quite low but every fret on every string buzzed terribly. The intonation was also rather poor. It was fairly difficult to correctly set it up too, the combination of bridge height and spring tension mixed with the saddle and truss rod adjustment proved to be a delicate relationship. It felt as if someone had set it up according to measurements but never actually played it to check. Other than that, I was happy with the condition. The finish was beautiful and unchecked, both on the body and the neck. All of the metal pieces were oiled and shined and the painted pieces were clean. The guitar was correctly assembled, no loose parts and all the screws and fixtures were properly tightened. Given the fact that action can be delicate, I'm willing to let the poor set up slide, especially considering the fact that it shipped half way across the country. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar gives an impression of reliability and I plan to keep it as part of my arsenal for years to come. I'm fairly certain with regular maintenance the guitar will be looking pretty and playing well many years down the road. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, I only own guitars that make me love to play and this belongs with them. It's probably the last electric guitar I'll purchase. My great desire has always been to have a Vintage Strat but with rising costs (and a desire for a 22nd fret) I've opted to go with an American standard. I definitely made the right choice. With some adjustments and hardware changes this will be the instrument I've always wanted. I have a BA in music and have been playing guitar since november of 2005. I play in a wide variety of settings from studio work to live gigs with bands, orchestras and various other ensembles. I use a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a Fulltone OCD along with a PRS CE 22, a Taylor 712 and a Cordoba C10. // 9

American Stratocaster Reviewed by: DJ Dunzie, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 999

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: Everyone knows the basic specs by now I'm sure... Made in Corona California (mine's a spankin' new 2012), alder body, 22-fret 25.5" 9.5" radius maple neck (mine with maple fretboard with an incredible gloss finish), medium-jumbo rolled edge frets, 3 single-coil US staggered pickups, 4-bolt micro-adjust neck tilt, 5-way switching, 2-point synch trem, single volume and two tone (1 no-load)... Etc etc. It's become the Standard for a reason. Comes with a locking SKB hardshell case, Fender strap, cord, polishing cloth, and papers. Really there are so many Strats available on the market you pick the combination of sounds, styles, level of parts quality, and price point you're after and you'll find the one for you. Mine is olympic white with a white pickguard a la Jimmy Hendrix. This was the one I was after, and I knew full well what I was getting. Hard to dock any marks here. // 10

Sound: Perfectly suited to most of the stuff I play - classic rock / country / blues, with a smattering of harder and lighter mixed in from time to time. For this genre, I honestly think the Strat is hard to beat. I've owned or at least spent good time with most every brand and style out there and the Strats fit ME best. While I can definitely agree there are others that suit specific players better, I don't think there's a more versatile machine on the market for sound. I play everything from Clapton to SRV to The Who to Beck to Eagles to Zeppelin to newer country to older metal and more, and this guitar can do it all pretty darn well. However, nothing to me beats a clean setting for this guitar, maybe with a little compression and very light chorus, reverb or delay. The natural sound is so crisp and sweet I could play it all day. The US pickups are surprisingly less noisy than Mexican Strat pickups I've owned, but still offer the immediate crisp sound that some of the noiseless ones maybe don't, without feeding back and humming the way cheaper ones can under heavy distortion. It's still a Strat though, so don't expect open strings won't offer a little buzz under power. The nice tradeoff is solo-ing can provide very nice natural feedback and harmonic sounds are terrific. To sum up, I doubt there's a better guitar around for being able to do a little of everything very well, and unbeatable for many of the sounds I enjoy. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, I'll simply say that I've never played another guitar out of the box in 25 years that was set up so well out of the box. Action was very low - maybe even a hair too low for my tastes - but no fret buzz to speak of whatsoever. I am not sure I'll even bother with the free pro setup at Long & McQuade it's that good. Finish is outstanding, and particularly the neck, which is easily the nicest neck I've laid my left hand over. The fret edges are incredibly smooth, and the gloss finish is amazing. I've played Deluxe and Vintage custom necks that I liked, but this one suits me very well. The only minor issue I had was a slightly sticky tone knob which has since loosened up nicely. The standard strings are good, and for whatever reason needed far less break-in than previous new guitars I've owned. The tremolo is much nicer than a Mexican Strat, although to be honest I'm not a heavy user anyway. Everything was very good out of the box. I'll dock one mark for the sticky knob. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Only had the guitar for a few weeks, so I'll go easy with claims here, however I've owned many Strats that all held up beautifully, even to occasional minor abuse that tends to happen with my guitars. I expect this one to only be better. There's no fluke though that people expect and get a lot of life from US Fenders. This one is built so well and the formula has been perfected over many years of the company building Strats. The quality of finish and assembly on this guitar is the best I've owned. // 10

Overall Impression: As much as I hate reviews that rave and give unrealistic claims of greatness to equipment, this is one piece I'm not afraid to come off a little giddy over. I've played on-and-off for over a quarter century (holy smokes I'm gettin' old I guess), owned a whole lot of guitars, and am not a brand-snob. This guitar is a perfect fit for me. I love the body, the hardware and electronics, the build and finish quality, and the resulting sounds. I will say that because I own other guitars and even other Strats, I'm a little spoiled. I have a Deluxe Player with Vintage noiseless pickups that offers me a different sound when I need it. However, if I'm stranded on an island and could only ask for one guitar, this would have to be it. I can't say this about many guitars I've owned, but I expect to have this one with me forever. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014