American Telecaster Plus Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: American Telecaster Plus
It's a dual-pickup, solid-body electric guitar manufactured by Fender in the US from the late '80s to the mid '90s. It is a variant of the original Fender Telecaster model, but using Lace Sensor pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Features: 9.3
 9.3
 9.4
 9.1
reviews (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
American Telecaster Plus Reviewed by: Preid, on november 09, 2012

Features: Made in 1990, USA, 22 Med/Jumbo frets. Red burst with glitter in the outer burst, complimented nicely by the grain underneeth. Pickup arrangement is a single Lace in the neck and two single laces together like a hummer in the bridge. there's a Switch that sits between the tone and volume that lets you select phase/hummer/single configs. it's a normal tele bar the bridge setup. 3 way, tone has a strange catch at halfway. Everything else is how a USA tele would be. These guitars are no longer made. // 9

Sound: I play funk rock to metal. This guitar is amazing! The Lace sensor in the neck has a amazing bell like quality, Fender has since replaced Lace with noiseless pickups which I think is a mistake. The brige doesnt't sound nice clean unless it's out of phase. Very deep sounding, at a flick of a Switch you can go from deep lows to cuttin highs for solo'in which I love! I'm running through 6 Boss, DigiTech stomps into a Laney AOR50 tuber > Avt Stack. The tone is pretty sweet! Radiohead's guitarist plays them. It can range to classic twang, both neck and bridge. To heavy hummeresk (almost SG) and when it's out of phase it sounds a bit like a Strat! 7 possible sounds to select from. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well for 17 years old it's fantastic. It came with a horrible hotrail in the neck which I removed and replaced with a original as possible Lace sensor. It's got dings, scratches, belt rash but it's solid as a rock and has many years left to go. Frets are all fine, only problem I have just now is the volume pot spins like a freewheel. No resistance, easy to fix though! // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is now my main axe, it's solid as a rock and I'd happily play without a backup. 17 years and it's still going, Fender for ya. Strap buttons are solid, I was going to fit lockers but for fear of damaging the threads I left them be. Finish looks amazing, even after all these years! // 9

Overall Impression: For my style it's perfect, I'm heavy on the effects and distortion and this guitar handles it all well. Tele purists wont take to it much as the bridge doesnt't sound perfect. My second guitar is a heavily modified Mex Tele. Hotrail, Lace, boost, coil tap, killswitch. They compliment each other nicely. I run through a Vintage Laney head into a Avt stack. Effects are all singles. If it were stolen I'd probably have a breakdown. I love it's strange finish, people come up and ask about it after shows. It's a rare-ish and unusal guitar. // 9

American Telecaster Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Combined Auctions

Features: This is the last of the Telecaster Plus models, 1995, and it's a US Tele. It's got 22 frets, rosewood fretboard with thin frets on it. Solid topped with a (what I'm told is very rare) Blueburst finish. String-through body style bridge with 2 Lace sensor pickups (blue single at the front, two linked red on the back forming a humbucker). Came with a hardcase and a few little stickers etc. Got a tone and volume knobs, 3-way selector switch and another switch for turning the humbucker into a single coild at the back. // 10

Sound: I've been playng for nearly 11 years, and I also own a Clapton Signature Strat (US) and a '67 Reissue Les Paul Custom Gibson. Keeping that in mind, I believe that this Fender is the best electric guitar I own. Mainly playing rock/metal/funk styles, this seems to be able to adhere to whatever style I play. I'm probably not doing it justice running it through two Marshall 8080 Valvestate amps (running in parallel so I get one with high, one low), however the Marshall distortion really is used to the full potential with this guitar. The fact that this guitar can go from a chunky Rhythm riff, to a screaming solo with the flick of a Switch leaves me stunned every time I play. It does pick up ambient noises, due to the Lace pickups I think, however that said the Gibson does as well. On the middle position f the Switch it has a bluesy no word of a lie almost a Gibson like sound to it. On the rear pickup it sounds meaty, and even on the clean channel sounds sparkling (which as we all know Marshall clean isn't really anything to be admired). The front pickup sounds wonderful especiually on clean. However where this guitar really shines is on the flat out overdriven sound. With the gain cranked to 20, and the countour up about 3 o'clock, this guitar will sing it's head off in a solo or in a rhythm riff, you know it's this guitar when you hear it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't comment on the action from the factory as I bought it second hand, however I can say that I drop tune it into D, so that I get nice bending action going on. The action as it stands today is extreemly good, and exactly how I like it. The pickups are adjusted perfectly, and the guitar it 100% in mint condition, no flaws with the exception of the jack being a little loose, but nothing major as it doesn't affect the wires or the sound (I've checked this out). All the controls are still in 100% working order. everything about this guitar is still as if it had just left the factory yesterday. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I do gig around this this guitar, and it will withstand live playing and in the studio (as I have done both). The hardware is still sompletely new looking (especially when I polish it) the strap buttons are solid as they come, and I would definately use in all the time except for the fact that I need two different tunings so I can't (bugger). There has been no wear in the finish (unlike the Gibson which has a big wear mark at the top of the guitar). // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, with the style of music that I play, this guitar bonds and mates with it no problems at all. It is the perfect match for any style of music that you would wish to play. As I mentioned, I own a Clapton Strat, and the Les Paul Custom (which is a Gibson, not an Epiphone), and I have been playing for nearly 11 years. This guitar is the best I own, and I assume it always will be. I'm also currently building a guitar, and even that may not beat 'Old Bluey'. If this guitar were stolen, I'd make every effort to find it again. I wouldn't give it up. The sound, the build quality of the guitar is just the best I've seen, and heard, and perhaps the only thing I wish that it had over what it has was a Piezio Bridge (so I can play acoustic as well! ). Overall, it's the best guitar on the face of the earth, and I make no apologies for my rating of this guitar with a pure 100% 10/10. and really for $1100 (AUD), it was a steal. So a job well done Fender, and if you can find one of these, plug it in and have a go. I Dare You. Only if you have the money to buy it though, because no word of a lie you will play it and buy it. It is that good. // 10

American Telecaster Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: 1992 American, 22 Frets, Swamp Ash with a Transparent Honey Blonde Finish, Maple Neck with Rosewood fingerboard "C" shaped, HardTail bridge, Volume, TBX Tone Treble-Mid-Bass, 3-Way Selector, 3-Way Mini Toggle, Single Coil Blue Lace Sensor Pickup in the neck, Dually Red Lace sensor Humbucker in the Bridge, original Telecaster Plus case, and some brand of tuners. I'm unaware of what brand they are; however, they're stock and work perfectly. My guitar rarely loses tune. I give a 9 here because the neck isn't totally perfect for me. I have long fingers so I find the neck a bit small sometimes. // 9

Sound: This suits everything I feel like playing. I play blues, funk, jazz, rock, and so forth. Currenly, I'm running this through a Vox AC30 reissue, Retrosonic TS 808, Boss Rv-3, Demeter Tremulator, MXR Phase 90, and Boss TU-2. This thing go from twang to bang. The sound spectrum of this guitar is large. You have access to 7 pickup selections as well as total control from your TBX nob. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is setup perfectly for me. Action is extremely low with plenty of truss room. This is the straightest neck I"ve ever played on. Pickups are setup as close to the strings as possible for maximum optimization. This guitar contained some finish swirls, but this is a 92 so it is to be expected. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last forever with proper care. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of different styles of music, and have done so on several different guitars. This guitar is a showboater and likes to steal the spotlight. If this were lost, I'd cry. If someone stole it, I'd have no problem justifying murder. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ American Telecaster Plus Deluxe Version II 8.2 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014