Big Block Stratocaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Big Block Stratocaster
The Big Block Stratocaster brings elegance and power to any musical situation and offers fresh features to a rock'n'roll icon. Two single-coil pickups and an Enforcer bridge pickup are at the heart of this tone monster, and the Black-and-Chrome motif gives the guitar a classy look.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.2
 9.7
 8.7
reviews (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Big Block Stratocaster Reviewed by: AnAzNGuitarist, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: This guitar is a definitely a beauty. A black finish with all chrome hardware. Comes with Vintage and easy-to-use tuning knobs, rosewood fretboard with medium-sized frets, and rare for a Fender Strat: blocked inlays (hence the guitar's name). Low action straight from the box. One Fender Enforcer humbucker and two Alnico Enforcer single-coiled pickups. One volume control knob and one tone. Comes with Fender Super Bullet strings. The chromed pickguard really makes this guitar look beast. Came with a Fender Deluxe gig bag and whammy bar. // 10

Sound: I usually play punk/alternative/rock and this guitar suits it. Hell, this guitar suits everything. The 5-position Switch really gives you a variety of sound to play along with. I usually play it with the humbucker alone selected, as this gives a crunchy rock sound. In the last position with only the third pickup gives a very clean tone for bluesy type players as well. I run this guitar through a Fender Frontman 15G and with a crappy amp like that, this guitar still shines. I can't wait to see how it would sound with a new amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was not bad for the guitar. I still haven't changed a thing yet, but I'm not guitar geek. It comes with pretty low-action and Fender Super Bullet strings. Overall, everything seemed great straight from the box! Great finish and hardware. The only downside is the extra polishing you have to do before and after playing it! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't owned this guitar long enough yet to see if it could take a real beating, but I'm babying this guitar because of it's apperance. I can tell you though it definitely gives off an intimidating stage presence with it's sleek look. The strap buttons are very solid and I haven't dropped it ever. Like I said though, you'd just have to really polish the pickguard. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, with this guitar I doubt I'll have to buy anything new in awhile. It is a great guitar for a Mexican-made Strat. The sound and look completely rivals American-made strats. It's been discontinued as well for it's special block inlays. If it were lost/stolen, I'd probably cry in a hole. I doubt I'd be able to buy another one again 'cause these things are hard to find now after being discontinued. This beast is a keeper! // 10

Big Block Stratocaster Reviewed by: gifted_awakenin, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: This guitar is awesome! At the moment I am the lead guitarist in two bands, one playing Prog and the other alternative/metal. This is my main guitar, it suits them both very well. It is a Mexi Strat. The chrome hardware is awesome! The only part that annoys me is that I have to wipe down the body after playing it, after playing a two hour set you tend to get very hot and sweaty, it shows on the guitar. But that's the only thing and it is very minor. It looks great onstage too! // 10

Sound: Well I've always wanted a Strat with a humbucker. This is great because you can get the grunt from the humbucker then you can get the amazing Strat clean in the single-coils. When I brought it I ran it through my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and it sounded amazing, I even ran it through my cousins little Crate practice amp and it still sounded great. It sounds great in the studio, my main band just finished recording an EP and I used it for all my tracks. We jst got the finished mixes and my guitar soars through with great tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar I needed to tweak the action a little to get it more to my taste but I do enjoy a bit of the tech stuff so it wasn't a big deal for me. The pickups, bridge, tuners and everything were fine and still are. It is very comfortable to play, I could play a 3 hour gig and never feel uncomfortable playing it. The finish is awesome, as mentioned above I love the chrome hardware, it really sticks out on stage and adds that little bit extra to a Live performance (a good performer is always searching for little things to add to the presence). // 9

Reliability & Durability: I took this guitar on tour about a month ago and it held up amazingly, I took my Ibanez RG350EX as a backup just incase I broke a string or something of the sort but I didn't even need it. I replaced the strap buttons for Straploks when I got it just to ensure no dropping (we lads can go a bit nuts onstage). I will continue to use this guitar on tour and in the studio. // 10

Overall Impression: I love it! It looks great, sounds great, feels great and kicks ass. If you aren't into traditional strats then you might like this, it's a contemporary twist on a classic and you can't go wrong. The best thing about this guitar is the fact that you can play any genre with it and not feel like a dick. It is so diverse, you can't go wrong. Enjoy! // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 08/01/2014