Blacktop Jaguar HH Review

8.8
 8.6
reviews (6) pictures (3) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Blacktop Jaguar HH Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Mexican made Fender Blacktop Jaguar. I got mine in the black which I think looks nice, only problem is how easily it catches prints. I was quite impressed when I brought it home, it had a nice warm tone immediately when I plugged it in, especially considering my not-so-great amp. The hum bucking pickups give it great versatility. It can go from super clean to surprisingly heavy for a Jag. It only has one volume and tone control which, makes it incredibly easy to dial in on your tone. To a bit of my disappointment though, I didn't receive any accessories. Not sure if that's just a GC thing or not. // 8

Sound: This guitar is great for someone who is into a lot of different music. It handles anything from bright, crunchy, percussive, smooth, heavy etc. The amp I use it with, a Behringer GMX110 which, this guitar has made my amp sound better than ever. The pickups are quiet, no feedback, switches easily. It has the most variety of any guitar I've played thus far. It has a full tone and fortunately never sounds thin, like I've heard of others sounding. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up was good, no buzzing, everything was in tune. No dings, scratches, and it played very well. The action was a little low but that's no biggie and can be easily adjusted. Everything is in order, nothing loose, seemingly good quality, and all to a bit of my surprise considering the price. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It feels like a solid guitar, but only owning it for a week I can't really say if it'll well it would be on stage. Although, I have seen several artists using the Blacktop series. I do think I could depend on it for a gig but, I wouldn't gig any guitar without a backup. The strap buttons seemed solid, but I put straplocks on within a few hours. The finish also looks great, doesn't chip easy either. I've knock it off a few things and no chips! // 8

Overall Impression: I play anything from indie-rock, metal, blues, pop-punk, and anything inbetween and it's a great match. I've been playing for 4-5 years and this is now my favorite piece of gear. I love the neck, nice and slim but not paper thin and, I also love the simplicity of the electronics. Very simple to use but delivers great tone. I would definitely buy this again if it were stolen or broke, it was a great deal for the price. // 9

Blacktop Jaguar HH Reviewed by: brhill135, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: A$ 700

Purchased from: Artie's Music

Features: Fenders new Mexican built Blacktop Stratocaster is fantastic value for your buck and as is the 24 inch scale brother the Blacktop Jaguar. Dual over-wound Alnico humbucking pickups make it Drive like mad and the 24 inch scale makes it supper slinky, while keeping everything simple as a child's toy with single volume and tone control and three way pick up selector switch. Other features include an alder body, maple neck with 9.5"-radius rosewood fretboard, 22 medium jumbo frets, gloss polyester finish and heaps of chrome! // 8

Sound: This Jag has a very full and dark sound. I play mostly metal and alternative rock (Parkway Drive, Trivium, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, STP, etc) so I got this guitar mainly to play the alternative rock side or my repertoire and it does this nicely. It does lack a little big of hi end treble but that's not really a problem for me. I play it into a Vox Valvetronix AD120VT and a Marshall MG100HDFX and sounds nice through both. Sounds really grungy with my Boss DS1 pedal. Handles distortion really well and has heaps of sustain. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box it was perfect bar one thing, crappy strings and that made the action low and buzzy. I am nie running a set of Ernie Ball Slinky Top Heavy Bottoms and that brought the action up a little bit and required very little adjustment there after. Intonation was excellent and required very little adjusting. After that was sorted it played very nicely. But for a straight out of the box rating I am rating this poorly due to it being practically unplayable with the action that low. Other than that, it was unmarked and no pitting or scratches on the hard wear. No little dags of wood or paint or anything like that. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I would be happy to thrash the crap out of this guitar all night long on a same tuneing set. No worries. I strangle this thing and it stays in tune really well and I have gigged it a few times with no back up guitars. I can't wait until it gets some wear on the body paint and looks like a real gig worn guitar, but the finish and hard wear seem really well made so I can't see that happening any time soon. // 10

Overall Impression: I am extremely happy with this Jag. It's a great first Fender as I've played Gibsons all my playing time and it's great for a change. Exactly what I wanted, a no crap, plug in and play guitar with no bells and whistles, no Floyd Rose this, and locking tuners that, just raw Fender guitar with wicked sustain and b-tchin' low tone. Would be nice to have 5 way pick up wiring like the Strat does but other than that I am supper happy with it. // 9

Blacktop Jaguar HH Reviewed by: Evilushka, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: A$ 400

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I had heard some pretty good things about the Blacktop series of guitars, and I must say the Jaguar is great. Not a "proper" Jag in terms of features, even look (apart from the general body shape...) and especially in that it features double humbuckers, but as my first Fender, I am quite happy. 3-way tone selector, Tune-O-Matic bridge, medium-jumbo frets and HH make me feel as if this is a Fender to attract players that normally utilise other brands, play indie/rock/high-gain styles or want to own a Fender but can't afford to buy the more expensive models. Knowing this guitar is an "economy" model, I paid a decent price for it although it was basically brand new condition with the plastic still covering the pickguard, etc. Fender obviously aren't going to release a "genuine" Jag for the price of this one, so for what it is, I think it's great. In fact, I like it better than some other Fenders, it suits my girly hands better than a Strat etc and dual humbuckers are nice, it is almost a hybrid, yet simple and stripped down. It's not a Vintage Jaguar, but once you get past that, it's a good guitar. // 9

Sound: It sounds great with both my amps - my Vox Valvetronix 100w and my Epiphone Valve Standard. It sounds great with distortion/ overdrive in particular, and has great sustain. The fx in built with the amp sound great, and I find myself particularly using the Bridge pickup with chorus or neck pickup with distortion/overdrive. A very rock sound and guitar, but also could feasibly suit metal, I use it mostly for rock/indie styled music and love it's sustain. I use Boss ME50, XT2, JD Crybaby (Zakk Wylde) and DOD Death Metal pedals with this guitar and overall am very happy. The only criticism is that for recording on ProTools, my other guitar has a nicer tone. I would only use it for recording high-gain sounds/distortion for this although it does sound great through quite a lot of the Line 6 Tone Box sounds. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Nice action, simple features - only 3-way pick up selector (neck/ neck-bridge/ bridge) and tone and volume knobs but well set up. The Mexican guitars IMHO are surprisingly well made. Can't really fault anything here. The pickups were adjusted fine as far as I could tell (alnico dual humbuckers) and there were no flaws I could see. The guy whom I purchased the guitar from hadn't done any changes to the setup, so everything was still at it's factory appearance, even the strings. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seems like a pretty durable and solid guitar, although compared to my other guitar (Maton MS 500) seems rather light. Would use it live, in fact that is one intention I have, although would use another guitar with it to get a variety of sounds. But if you liked the tone on this and were happy with just using one guitar for a set, then you wouldn't need a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: Good match for punk/indie/metal but especially rock. I would buy this guitar again, although I would like a "proper" Jag too... For softer songs/ styles, it does the job but doesn't have the richness and subtlety of my Mastersound, but it's not really designed for that anyway - it's not a Vintage guitar in any way really - more a quintessential modern one. I love the neck the most as well as the action - great sustain, great for bends and fast playing. // 9

Blacktop Jaguar HH Reviewed by: HoenHeimofLight, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Mine is a 2011 Fender Blacktop Jaguar - New out of box. - 22 Frets - 24 inch scale (wonderful for smaller hands - honest) - Rosewood Fretboard on Maple neck - Medium Jumbo Frets - Solid Alder Body w/ minimal routing (unlike an oldschool Jag or any strat) - in my opinion the sustain is enhanced here. - Two Vintage Alnico 5 humbuckers - 1 volume, 1 tone & a 3 way selector. - Regular old Fender tuners (pretty ok/good) For the price I paid I was happy with what I got so 9 here. // 9

Sound: Out of the box I'm giving the sound a 6 or 7. Now - here's the thing, I bought this guitar with the intention of installing new pickups and putting on heavier strings. I put in SD Alnico II Pro's and now the sound is greatly improved. I also put on .10 - .53 Ernie Ball strings. These are the two biggest improvement you can do immediately for the sound and they are dirt cheap if you go used on the pickups. Seriously though - the axe comes with .9s from Fender Factory - don't go with these, they suck. This axe needs at least 10s or better to get a quality tone. Factoring in the upgrades I'm completely satisfied with the tone now. I'd give it a 10 but since I'm reviewing the out of box factory condition guitar I'll be generous and give it a 7. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was ok - a bit high from the factory but super easy to adjust down thanks to the tuneomatic bridge. Pickups were adjusted well and everything was routed fabulously - I was impressed with that at least. It makes the blacktop unique from other jags and fenders alike. The neck was well finished and straight - honestly these MIM necks are great - almost on par with the US or Japan. The fretwork and finishing may be slightly less quality but I can't tell the difference and I'm pretty anus about that stuff. The only thing I need to mention here is that my tone pot had an issue. It was a warranty problem and the tone pot itself was unresponsive from 10 down to around 1 or 2. When I went below 1 it would all of a sudden click down to a very dialed down tone. I may be a wierdo but I like it alot actually. Very many people are having to get this fixed though. My guitar is unique due to the tone pot though and I like it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Don't play live and most likely never will but it could easily withstand a Cobain-esque smashing around. Fender always makes reliable quality guitars in my opinion. I've never had one of theirs go back and I've owned 3 or 4. The finish I great too I must add. I'm not a huge fan of silver but it grows on you everyday. Silver Sparkle! // 10

Overall Impression: Out of the box - no mods I'd give it a 7 or 8. With mods it gets a 9.5 now. So happy with it. For me the short scale is so nice and worthwhile. If you have small hands and need a good guitar get this jag, you'll be so happy fo sho. Again I'm rating out of the box so the review officially gets an 8 - being generous again. // 8

Blacktop Jaguar HH Reviewed by: emanuel97, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 579

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: So its a Mexican guitar made 2012. 24' Neck that is made of rosewood and maple.It has white/cream inlays and jumbo frets. Due to the fact that it has a shorter scale neck than a normal Jaguar/Strat/Tele, its very easy to play and bend strings. The body is black and very shiny. I didn't expect it to be very solid and heavy but it really was and the sustain is fantastic after a simple adjustment to the bridge/trussrod. The body is alder which is very solid and stable. The bridge is a HardTail (like a Les Paul) and I was surprised by the sustain. Two alnico 5 humbuckers that gives a really fat and soft or crunchy distortion tone. The clean tone wasn't very special, wasn't bad but it still sounds amazing. One tone and one Volume, the volume knob kills the sound at 3 already which was a disappointment but nothing that will effect your sound too much. Also I was disappointed cause I didn't get any accessories but I don't really care. If you need a cable or gig bag go buy it its not that expensive. The tuners are Fender tuners and after the first 10 chords it was already out of tune so I lifted up the strings and released them o couple of times then it was good. Stays perfectly in tune now. // 10

Sound: I've played guitar for about a year, this is my first guitar. Before I played my fathers Fender Stratocaster Special from 78 which was really easy to play, so is this one. I play Indie, blues, funk, alternative metal (Muse, MCR) and some other stuff. The humbuckers are perfect for metal and also perfect for that soft clean funk tone. I've played it on a Vox VT15 and an old Yamaha 10watt my father bought for extreme overdriving. The Vox hums when I have heavy distortion which is annoying but if I leave the room the hum disappears. Metal distortion on my Yamaha works perfectly so its probably something with my amp. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box the guitar looked fantastic, it was out of tune (of course). The bridge was a bit low and the EBG strings was wrong setup. Took me about 15 minutes to set it up perfectly, anyone can do it. The bridgep ickup was to low but also 1 minute of adjustment and it was perfect. there's one thing that really bad thing, there was only one string tree on the headstock so the D and G string lost some sustain. I'm planning on buying one and put it in cause it will help and its easy to put in. Still very disappointed about it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played it live but the guitar survived being shipped from Germany to Sweden and The lacquer is very strong. It will definitely survive a live performance. I hit my strings hard when I play with my band to get more attack on the chords and it doesnt't even leave tune. The strap buttons are big to. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music but in my band we play Indie, rock (Arctic Monkeys, Muse, RHCP, MCR and other). I've played guitar for a year I've played bass for about 2 years but one year ago I started playing guitar instead of bass. I own (my dad own the Fender but I play it) one Fender Strat Special from 78 (sunburst), one Squire Jazzbass (sunburst), one J&D Brother Bass (Blue, cheap bass) and a East Tone Stratocaster (red). If someone stole it I would definitely buy a new one, maybe try the tele but no doubt I would buy a blacktop. I wish it had Coil tap and I think I will buy new pickups to get singlecoil on it. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 08/01/2014