Blacktop Telecaster Review

reviews (3) pictures (6) 65 comments vote for this gear:
Blacktop Telecaster Reviewed by: Koldan, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 545

Purchased from: Music Store

Features: My guitar was made in 2010 on Mexico. It has 22 medium jumbo frets, rosewood neck, alder body and two humbuckers. I got mine in silver finish with black pickguard which I like. It has reversed control assembly unlike the others telecasters with one volume and one tone control and also a 3-way switching, it came with black skirted amp knobs on volume and tone which I changed for the traditional Telecaster knobs. // 10

Sound: I was looking for a Fender Telecaster long time ago, I tried many american and mexican telecasters but I never feel that it was the right one and when I tried out the blacktop I immediatly fell in love. It suits perfectly with my music style I usally play alternative rock like Muse, Radiohead, etc. But it can handles anything from metal to blues. I play it through a Laney LV 300 Head and it sounds amazing! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well made, the set-up was good and everything was in tune. I really got suprised by seeing a Mexican Telecaster working in my opinion even better than many american telecasters out there. There is no kind of mistakes everything is in order, very good quality considering the price. It can easily beat some pro-level guitar putting this guitar in that category. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is a very solid guitar, I've played many gigs it has fell some times but it looks just like if it was new. The finish and hardware are good enough to handle a rock life. Particularly mine has suffered many damage and I still don't have any scratches or finish problems. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very competent guitar that can serve any kind of player. It sounds magnificently for anything you want to play. It's an amazing HH Telecaster and considering its price I think this guitar it's like the Holy Grail of the guitars. I don't care if it is Mexican, American, Japanese, Chinese, I really love this guitar and I would buy another one if something happens to my telecaster. // 10

Blacktop Telecaster Reviewed by: junocaster90, on november 09, 2012

Features: MIM Fender Blacktop Telecaster. I picked it up during the guitar center Fender anniversary sale. I picked the Black body with black pick guard. It has 2 over wound Alnico 5 humbuckers, HardTail bridge (which is string thru), rosewood fretboard on a solid maple neck. The body is Alder. The controls are reversed on this model. There is one volume and one tone knob as well as a three way selector switch. The knobs are supposed to be "Amp styled" which I liked. The neck has a gloss urethane finish as well as being a bolt on neck. I love it. // 9

Sound: I play modern metal. (TDWP, Beneath The Sky, I The Breather, etc.) And I'm powering it thru a Marshall HDFX 100. It's freaking beautiful. Very warm and still has that slight Tele twang that gives the high end a very nice crunch. I was thinking of maybe replacing the pickups but after playing it I don't want to lose the tone I have now with it. The neck pickup is VERY warm. Very nice for blues and softer things off the clean channel. I can honestly say this is my favorite guitar for sound wise. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box it was set up pretty good! But I play in C. So I had some adjusting to do. It came with the allen wrenches to fix the truss rod and bridge action. I put em to use and found an action that worked for me. Very little fret buzz when set up to specs. The action is almost effortless to the touch. I adjusted the pickups slightly but I didn't go overboard or anything just because they were nicely placed as is. Very well made for the price of a Telecaster. It is MIM but it's VERY quality for what it is and it's worth. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've messed around with it in jam sessions and I cringe everytime I bump it on a chair or amp or something just because I'm sort of a B**** when it comes to being protective over my guitar. But it doesn't do anything to it. No scrapes yet and no dents. I'm looking to break it in and can't wait till it gains the natural aged look. I always like the look of older Tele's. Unfortunately I'm thinking I have a long wait for that look only because the damn thing is so durable and the paint job is SUPER immaculate. It'll last quite a long time. I'd use it in a gig as my primary and get a second one as a back up. Def a stage worthy guitar for any genre really. // 9

Overall Impression: I honestly can't say many bad things about this guitar. I used to be so Anti-Fender but after a second glance I'm glad I dove into this instrument and picked it up. It's made me a more focused and dedicated player due to the excitement I get from wanting to play it. You have to play one to understand any of this. An internet review only goes so far. I love this guitar and I'll prob buy another one. But in a different color. It comes in Black, Grey, and White. I want the White one next. // 10

Blacktop Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: $75.00 off regular cheap service boogie. Guitar Center owns all guitar transactions on par with Internet pricing. Saving all their money to invade America! (owned by China). All salesmen at Guitar Center should fight each other over a dog dirt (and believe me they would!). // 1

Sound: Hot Rod humbuckers and reverse control switch better than all Telecasters. I love the range it provides with the 3-way switch. From grungy to beautiful I love this bad a-s guitar! This guitar sounds great at all levels (some call the sound too muddy) but that's because their amps aren't set right. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Perfect. Thrash it it, trash it, It's a Fender! It gets my Fender 100% OK! I loved the Black Out model, so I just threw on some chrome knobs and retained the great humbuckers! I can't imagine it being even better. It looks good, sounds good, and feels good. The extra cutaway like a Strat makes it more comfortable and lighter that a regular Tele. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Solid. Enough said. Good enough to knock out a Tiajuana donkey! And I've tried. All Fenders are guaranteed to knock out a Tiajuana donkey and your old lady. But your Mom? I doubt it! Because I've tried, and she ain't givin it up for anything less than $4.95. And I get a lot more mileage from my Tele. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar rocks socks, and all that can't play suck! Sweet sound, better than a weak single coil queenie. Made in Mexico (like Santana) Oops my Bad! I should have spent an extra $1000.00 for absolutely Nothing! I live in San Diego, and rather pay 1/2 as much for a Mexican to make my guitar 70 miles away, than 250 miles away. I like guitars that sound good, play well, and look bada-s. I get it all with this one. And if someone finds a fault with this guitar, its just personal, not business! // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Hot Rod DeVille 410 8.6 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014