Classic '60s Telecaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Classic '60s Telecaster
The '60s Telecaster features an alder body, a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard, and a three-ply mint green pickguard.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
reviews (3) 25 comments vote for this gear:
Classic '60s Telecaster Reviewed by: williamsanders, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 499

Purchased from: Musikhaus Hermann

Features: 2008 MIM Telecaster, alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, 21 vintage frets, 7.25" radius, PolyUrethane finish, 2 single-coils with Alnico-magnets, in aged covers, vintage styling, Ping/Kluson tuners, 3ply mintgreen pickguard, 3-way switch, 1 vol, 1 tone. Comes with a Fender gigbag, 2 wrenches, a manual, some hangtags and a bumper-sticker. Available in olympic white, candy apple red and black (I own a white one). Just what a Telecaster needs to have. A hard-case and maybe Nitro-laquer would be nice! // 9

Sound: I play soul & r&b on this guitar (just like our hero Steve Cropper did). Just the guitar, thru a Fender HotRod Deluxe, no effects added. The guitar doesn't sound that squealy and penetrating high like a maple-necked '50s Tele, but more soft and mellow. The neck pickup gives you a warm sound, ideal for jazz when you roll down the tone-pot. Both pickups engaged delivers you a warm, but defined sound, ideal for rhythm playing and soft solos. The bridge pickup gives you just the twang you need, but without hurting your ears. The sound-varieties are diverse, from mellow on the neck, to twangy on the bridge, but never "too" much from on or another. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up ideal, straight out the box. It was still quiet in tune, the action was acceptable (1.5mm @ 12 fret). As far as I could see, the damn Mexicans sure know how to built a guitar that's made to last forever. Finish is flat as a mirror, the hardware is blinking like a star. The only "bad" thing is that the bridgeplate isn't totally covering the route for the bridgepickup, you still have a little gap (0.5 mm) between the bridge-edge and the route-edge. Nothing to worry about. Everything else was superb! No screws are coming loose, no buzzing, no rattles. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar (like all Classic's & Classic Player's) is built like a tank. I've replaced the strap-buttons with strap-locks, but apart from that, no upgrades are necessary to withstand the hell of a gig. You can use it without a backup, but a second guitar is always handy, when you break strings in the middle of a song. The finish is hard as hell. With all the good will on earth, you can't dent the finish. // 10

Overall Impression: I play r&b, soul, classic rock, on this thing, and hell-yeah, it sure sounds good. I use this guitar next to my CIJ Jazzmaster, as 2 "main battle axes", and I'm very satisfied! If it were stolen, I would hunt down the thief, and insert a P-bass neck in some opening of his. I would definitely buy another one if I'd lose it, or it bacame stolen. I absolutely love this guitar, it's one of the best tele's you can get for this price! Go ahead, and try one today! // 10

Classic '60s Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: Really great guitar! I've owned a Gibson Les Paul and Stratocaster and this inexpensive, Chinese-made Classic Vibe guitar is one fine axe for the money. I played an American and Mexican made Tele at Guitar Center, and I couldn't tell the difference between them. After looking on this forum, I decided to gamble on the Classic Vibe unseen and I do not regret it one bit! If anything the action on this Chinese guitar is even better than the US made guitar, right out of the box! With the special effects on a Line 6 Spider amp, you can make this thing sound just like a Les Paul -- it doesn't quite twang like some Teles, it rings like a Gibson. Do Americans really work in factories anymore? I've been told that mostly they do not, so that made the choice a lot easier. If you're a weekend warrior like me and you want a good guitar that's not going to cost you an arm and a leg, this is your best choice -- the American made Telecaster was twice as expensive. There may be a slight difference, but I really don't want to pay $350 more for it. // 10

Sound: I play rockabilly, blues and southern boogie - anything from the Grateful Dead, to the Allmans, to Skynyrd to the Stones. This is really the perfect guitar for what I play. The sound is very bright. I am using a Line 6 Spider amp, just 15 watts for now, and its way too loud for a living room when its turned all the way up. If you want it to make metal sounds like Cream or Hendrix, you can do that with the amp. Teles are known for their versatility. I suggest you spend your money on a really good amp, // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect. I like it low, with the lightest strings possible and this guitar was great right out of the box. There's no buzz down near the 20th frets etc. It was pretty much in tune too, though I had to spend half a second tweaking it a bit. A Les Paul has great action but its a very heavy guitar and the neck is too thick. This guitar was perfect in my hands. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Hard to tell what the durability will be like after just a few hours playing it. It's seems as if it is built as solidly as the US made Telecaster, which is said to be a road warrior. Time will tell. Except for the Squier and Classic Vibe badges, you really can't tell that this is not an American made Tele that costs twice as much. // 9

Overall Impression: I am 52 and I have been playing off and on since I was 13 years old. I was in working band in college but its mostly been for my own pleasure ever since. If you play the Stones and stuff like that, this would be a good choice as Keith Richard plays a Telecaster. So does Bruce Springsteen... // 10

Classic '60s Telecaster Reviewed by: andrewpippin, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: backstage pass

Features: great features. basic guitar Vintage model.has two knobs and a switch. master volume knob and tone knob. and tone and range switch. does not hold whammy bar.has light vanilla neck and head. 6 string. made in 2009. it was made in china. but they put alot of work into the guitar.very light.black pickgaurd.one set of strap knobs. // 7

Sound: sounds very good for its price.little twangy but you can change the tone on the knobs. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: no controls are loose. they took alot of time in the design of the telecaster.smooth bridge. bright finish. fits for a the jazz design.22-24 frets . you can get custom necks.all the tuning pegs are on and look great.you can see the wood grain on the front of the guitar and the back. very beautiful. // 10

Reliability & Durability: it will last you a long time. it will live and work just fine on stage . take it from my experience.the strap buttons will hold the strap just fine. it will stay on the whole time.the paint is a little thin. it will look a little road worn after a while.i can depend on it and use it at any time. // 10

Overall Impression: i play metal. you can adjust it to wear even the telecaster,a jazz guitar, can sound metal. its an ok match for my type of music i guess.at most 6 years so far ive been playing guitar. i own alot of Fender products.i would buy this again if it was in the same price range. this would be a great starter guitar. // 8

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 08/01/2014