Classic '70s Stratocaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Classic '70s Stratocaster
The U-shaped neck, large headstock, and "bullet" truss rod are unmistakable features that define an era. Now made at Fender's manufacturing facility in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico, this beautiful replication has it all.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
reviews (12) pictures (8) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Classic '70s Stratocaster Reviewed by: nolanator, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: pawn shop

Features: My 70's reissue Stratocaster was made in Japan. The Japanese model was discontinued in 1986(mine is a 1985), but you can still find some used ones occasionally. I got mine as a Christmas gift though. I purchased mine in Olympic white with a rosewood Fret board. It has the 70's headstock which is my personal favourite headstock. It has the strip that goes up the back of the neck and the neck plate is triangular with the signature Fender F on it. The pickups are slightly yellowed to make it look more like a Vintage guitar. It has a bolt on neck and a 3 ply pick guard. The neck has dotted inlays and has 21 frets.You also get the Standard Fender gigbag that comes for free with every Fender guitar. // 10

Sound: I mainly play classic rock, punk rock, pop, blues, jazz and pretty much any kind of music. This guitar is a great guitar for any style. It has a bit of a Vintage twang to it which is really good. I find it sounds better than today's American standards. You can get a very smooth clean sound on it, or you can get a very distorted sound on it which I usually use. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Since mine was a used guitar, I didn't experience any factory problems on it, however, since it's a 28 year old guitar. The pickup selector always made a buzz/crackle noise whenever I switched it. Sometimes the bottom part of the pickup would be louder than the top which was strange but I got that fixed. The finish was a bit yellower than I thought, the finish isn't the same white as the pickguard which is what I was hoping it would be like. The body is very great and smoothed out and made to fit you body. All the edges are rounded so your not rubbing your arm in sharper edges like Tele's and Les Pauls. I did get a few chunks and scratches on it but nothing major. Some of my nuts were rusted but they still held everything together. The bridge was solid and wasn't to loose. And it has a tremolo bridge on it. I didn't get a whammy bar with it, but that was because it was from a pawnshop and they probably would of made me pay for a whammy bar.the tunignheads were kind of stiff though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't play that many gigs or anything since I'm only 14, but I'm sure I could make this through a show. But I would probably have to tune it maybe once or none. The hardware will defiantly last, and from seeing other Japanese 70's reissues, the one I have is in great condition. I hope to be using this guitar still if I pursue a music career later on in life. The finish will last for sure. Might have a few wear spots, like on the back. I would defiantly buy strap locks for it though. The strap pegs are very small. // 9

Overall Impression: Personally, I think this is the best guitar I've owned. I've had some Gibsons and American Fender's but this is my favourite one out of all of them I play through a Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack Package. And I play through a Line 6 Spider 2 and one of those mini Marshall stack that are like10 inches high. I think it sounds best In a Marshall. If I lost this guitar I would look for it. I just love this guitar. My favourite feature is the headstock, I just can't get enough of those 70's headstocks. I wish it had a more white finish and that the pickups were alpine white. This is gonna be my main guitar if I ever become a guitarist in some crazy band. Even when I'm too old to play guitar. It will be hanging over my mantle in my house. // 10

Classic '70s Stratocaster Reviewed by: colinthelips, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 700

Purchased from: Music Store

Features: This guitar was made in Mexico 2011. It has 21 Vintage style frets and a thin you shaped neck, which isn't much different from a modern C shape neck but feels so much nicer in your hand. It has a solid three piece Ash body with the standard gloss finish. The neck is made from Maple and you can get it with a Rosewood or Maple fingerboard, the thin strip that runs up the back of the neck is Rosewood. The bridge is the Vintage 70's style bridge with 'Fender' stamped onto them. It has 3 Vintage Strat pickups with a Volume and 2 Tone knobs and it also has Vintage tuners with the split pegs so when stringing the guitar you won't have any sharp edges sticking out. This guitar came with a Fender Deluxe padded gig bag and the Tremolo arm and the necessary allen keys to set up the guitar. // 10

Sound: I play mostly classic rock, Thin Lizzy and all that stuff and it sounds great! I use a Peavey Bandit 112 so it sounds great with this amp because of the valve sound it has, the P/U's don't cancel out any hum like some Strat's would, that's just the nature of the guitar and besides it's not that bad to cause any discomfort when playing. This guitars pickups have a unique sound on which ever of the five settings you have it on, the bridge p/u is good for your Vintage clean stuff like the shadows or johnny cash and the other positions give off their own different sound, there is a lovely sound on the middle p/u when activated alone, probably my favorite. The neck p/u engaged with the tone knob rolled back to zero gives off a really blues-y type sound and it sounds just great! This is the Mexican 70's Reissue and doesn't have as much tonal definition as an American Reissue but is more worth the money than the American model, the price difference is 1,000 for just a slightly better tone, don't let the bad rumors about Mexican made Fenders stop you from buying this. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar the action was great but it was causing some fret buzz because the strings were so low so I had to raise the bridge saddles myself which was annoying and to be honest the set up still isn't great, when you play a note on the 12th fret up and bend it up a full pitch it collides with the frets and makes the note stop resonating or start buzzing, but this can be fixed by further lowering the action which I don't want to do. The guitar came with 9 gauge strings so the looseness of these is most likely responsible for the buzzing cause I normally played 10s on my electric but can't go back to them after playing 9's. The p/u's are set up just fine on this and there is no inconsistency throughout the 5 different p/u positions. The flaws with this guitar are the set up was absolute crap due to the amount of fret buzz coming from it when plugged in also there was some white glue flaky like stuff under the bridge when I got it but everything else is 100%. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The hardware on this guitar is chrome and the machine heads can stick a little bit they don't feel smooth when tuning but they don't cause the guitar to go out of tune, the hardware is great quality overall. The strap buttons are great on this guitar they hold the strap well. You wouldn't need a backup guitar if you have this it's a great guitar and it's very solid and the finish is lovely and doesn't look like it's gonna break through any time soon unless you abuse the guitar excessively. // 10

Overall Impression: Great guitar altogether only disappointment was the set up but maybe that was just my one and probably won't be as bad on them all but it's fairly handy to do it yourself once ya know what your at. I have been playing 7 years now and know a good quality guitar and for 700 off music store it's the best electric ya could buy for that price especially if you love the Strat sound and the 70's styling of the Strat. One thing I would like to say about this guitar which your not warned about in the manual or anything is if you but it there will be a small sticker over the hole in the bridge where the tremolo arm goes, this is to stop a small LOOSE spring which is in there from falling out so be aware of this in case you loose it because it's very small altogether, but once you put in the tremolo arm and tighten it the spring seems to stay in place and won't fall out, just be sure you don't overtighten the tremolo arm or else you'll destroy the thing altogether. Great guitar I've wanted one like this for about 5 years now I have it and am not a bit disappointed I bought it, it sounds and plays and looks just great and this will be my electric for life hopefully. Thanks for reading.

// 10

Classic '70s Stratocaster Reviewed by: eXor, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: little shop behind the corner

Features: My guitar has 21 frets wich is standard for a Strat, people say that 21 isn't enough but shred and stuff didn't exist back in the '70s, it has an unbreakable alder body (dropped it a million times and it only has 1 tiny dent in the back), it has a perfect very loose brige great for all the whammy work and it stays in tune very well. It has 3 single coils, 1 volume control, 2 tone controls and a 5-way Switch. // 10

Sound: I play mostly blues, classic rock, some hard rock and shred. The pickups are very versatile and will give you that classic Strat sound (like SRV, Eric Clapton, RCHP, Jimi Hendrix), there's a little hum if you select 1 pickup at 1 time, but that's with every single coil guitar. In combination with my Roland Cube 30, you can play everything from, country to hard rock, from reggae to punk, from blues to classic rock. I wouldn't recommend any Strat for heavy metal though (but I put a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge though so now I can play everything). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was in almost perfect condition when I got it, nice low (but not too low) action, the action of my high e string was lower than the rest though, but I think the shop did that, also, If you hit the low E string to hard, it sometimes (rarely) slips out of the fretboard, also, my bridge also worked only with 0.009 and 0.008 because the springs in the bridge were too loose, and the bridge was rising if you put 0.010's on but again, the shop might have done that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As I said before, the guitar is as strong as a rock, the hardware will last a very long time, the strap buttons are very solid. And I would surely use it on a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said, the instrument can handle every music style there is. If I lost it, I surely would buy another one. I compared it with an ordinary Mexican Strat and this one just kills, (better looks, sexy head stock and pups, better playability, better trem). Just buy this guitar if you have the chance. // 10

Classic '70s Stratocaster Reviewed by: FBXZ2, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: MF

Features: 2000 Classic Series 70s Strat MIM with the rosewood fingerboard and natural ash finish. The painted ones went for $50 less. This is a very heavy guitar with all the Standard 1970s appointments. Tremolo is the same specs as USA Vintage but with a cheap cast metal block. Came with a gig bag. The MIM classic series was started in 1999, and I got one of these because I have a 78 hard tail and it was about the same price as the original. Only difference is the pickups, tremolo, and pickguard. I give it a 10 because it is a near exact replica. // 10

Sound: IMO the classic 70s Strat sounds and feels exctly like my 78 original. The pickups on the classic 70s has staggared poles and the original 78 has flat poles. The 70s has a more fat balanced sound, while the 78 has a more clear sound with less mids. I can work the classic 70s pickups more and get more crunch. And I can get more dynamics and clear cleans with the 78. Both have about the same sustain and volume. I think the difference in the sound comes from the staggared poles vs the straight alignment of the 78's poles. These tow guitars have the classic 60s-70s clear clean Fender sound. About 3 years ago I changed out the cast tremolo block with a Callaham steel block, and it made it sound more like the original HardTail 78. The Callaham block makes it more clear and bright, than the original cast lightweight block. Just over a month ago I changed out the pickups on the Classic 70s to a SCN, and the guitar took on a whole new sound. While retaining the classic sound of a strat, it became more puncy and fatter but without the grind and crunch of HOT pickups. I like the SCNs in the Classic 70s, as it now allows me to work the tones and sounds with more dimention with pick attack. Now the classic 70s Strat sounds and plays better than my 1978 original. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Set up was decent. But, it is one of the hardest guitars to set up IMO, because of the 7 and 1/4" radius fingerboard and the micro tilt. However once you get it done right it is one of the best playing and sounding strats. The Classic 70s was build just as good as my 1978, if not better. The neck fit on the Classic 70s is far better than the original 78. All the hardware is the same even the patten # on the 3 screw neck plate. Only difference is the tremolo vs the hardtail. The neck feel and finish are the same. All good craftsmanship IMO. One thing I did not like about the new Classic 70s was the white pickguard on the natural ash finish. My 78 has black on natrual ash, and it looks a whole lot better. // 10

Reliability & Durability: My Classic 70s has been played off and on over the past 11 years, and I have refretted about 3 years ago to fatter taller frets which lasts a lot longer than the original Vintage type frets. The finish is high quality poly and thick, everything about this and other strats are solid tuff guitars. Unlike mahogany neck guitars, the strat's maple and rosewood fingerboard necks make the Strat one of the strongest guilt guitars built today. // 10

Overall Impression: I like Blues, old rock, country, R&B, and some jazz. Been playing since the mid 70s. I have bought and sold many guitars and amps over the years. Too many to list. I have only 1 keepers that go back to the 70s and it is my 1978 strat. I would only purchase anohter one used, I can't see paying over $799 for a new one when the used ones go for about $500. The only reason I currently have a Classic 70s is to retire the original 1978 strat. Other than the tremolo, this classic 70s looks and feels just like the original 1978, and with the new SCN pickups it is my favorite guitar. Also, I like the tremolo vs the HardTail strat. // 10

Classic '70s Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: I got a great deal on this guitar. Even though it was made in Mexico, I could still get double what I paid for it on ebay. 21 frets, standard for Strat. Ash body, rosewood fretbord. 1 volume control, 2 tone, and a 5-way selector for pickups. 3 single coil. No included accessories, but hey, $200, I could but a gig bag for an extra $30, so I don't care. U shaped neck and Bullet truss rod. Has fat headstock, and 3 screws that hold on the neck. Non locking tuners. // 10

Sound: It fits rock, classic rock, punk, and has a great RHCP sound. I use it with a peavy amp. A little noisy, especially on the bridge pickup, has a full bright sound. Great variety of sounds can be made can go from very mellow with the neck pickup and tone controls set to 0, and very bright on the bridge pickup. Probably couldn't do metal that great, but I dont play metal, so I don't care. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was decent. Action is good, just a little bit of buzz on the G string. I had to fine tune the intonation, but that wasn't even much of a problem, it was pretty good to start with. Haven't adjusted the pickups, they seem fine. Finish has a few minor hard to see scratches, and fingerprints show easily on it, but nothing that can't be wiped away. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar should withstand live playing. The only think I would be worried about would be the input jack. That loosens up slowly once in a while and it gets annoying, but other than that it is very durable. I've bumped the headstock god knows how many times and all that shows is a small dent about the width of my fingernail on one of the edges of it. I would have to do a gig without a backup because it is my first and only guitar, but I don't care, it has held up really well for half a year. The finish seems thick and should last a long time. The hardware is solid. The whammy bar puts it out of tune, but I don't even use it. Otherwise, I never have to check the tuning for weeks, and I play this thing alot. Solid strap buttons, before now, I wasn't even aware that strap buttons could/would loosen. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly RHCP and Nirvana. This guitar is a great match. Turn up the gain really high, use the bridge pickup, and turn the trebble up on the amp EQ and it sounds just like Kurt. As for RHCP I like to use about the same QE settings, but no gain and the neck and middle pickups. This sounds really good. As I said, this is my first and only guitar. I started playing about half a year ago, when I bought this guitar. I own a peavy amp that sounds great with my guitar. If it were stolen, I would be crying for weeks on end, and definately buy the exact same guitar if I could find it again. Money would not be a problem, I wouldn't care about price. I love the whole thing. I have no favorite feature, it is all great. The only ting I don't think is top quality is how the whammy bar brings it out of tune, but I dont even play with the whammy bar, in fact it gets annoying and I just leave it out. I prefer it that way and would play like that on any guitar. Also, the loose input jack gets on my nerves, but normally it stays tight for a week or two, and is effortless to tighten, I dont even have to take the cover off. I didn't compare it to any other products, I just saw a Fender Strat for $200 new, and realized what a great deal it was. The people working at the store couldn't believe the price on it. They said if I didn't get they would buy it at the end of the day. When I got home I came to realize that it was the Classic '70s style and Fender's list price was about $850. The only thing I wish my guitar had was noisless Strat pickups. They would get rid of the extra static. the static doesn't get on my nerves too too much when it is clean, but is louder and a bit more annoying when the gain is up. I don't even notice this problem half the time, but once in a while it gets annoying. Great product, I would highly recomend it to anyone and I would be willing to buy it at $850 new after seeing how great it is and how well it is holding up. I have played it for about 2 hours a day for the last half year, and I haven't even had to get the strings changed. If you have the chance buy this guitar before someone else does it won't let you down. // 10

Classic '70s Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: It's a reissue and made in Mexico with 21 frets and a thin neck. My fingerboard is rosewood but also comes in maple. It's a laminated top, body is made from alder and the neck is maple. Lovely natural finish it has a Vintage tremolo with active. Basic Strat 5-way selector with 1 volume and 2 tone. Free gig-bag and allen key. // 10

Sound: I play rock and metal so I personally like the thin neck and singlecoil sound. I play it through a Vintage V30G 75-watt and a Drive CD100 19-watt with a Zoom 505#2 and it sounds very good. But just in case I'm buying a Marshall MG100HDFX. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The only problem I could see was that the tremolo was to loose and if I used normal gauge strings it would raise up pretty high, but I managed to fix it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't know about live playing because I never played live before. I don't need to go into the details about how good everything on this guitar is. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said I play rock and metal, so strangely it suits perfectly although the bad thing is there is only 21 frets? Hey but don't fear it kicks ass compared to my Les Paul Copy (SX). I've been playing guitar for a year and my gear is old Vintage VG30 and a Zoom 505#2 effects pedal. If it was stolen I would definately buy it again, that or a Gibson LP Standard. // 10

Classic '70s Stratocaster Reviewed by: maddrumer, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: marshall music

Features: I bought my guitar about one year ago, and have been nothing but pleased with this wonderful chunk Ash. the maple neck is a gloss polyurethane finish, and was literally flawless in my guitar (although a friend of mine played one on which the frets were so poorly filed he cut himself, so pay attention to the small stuff like that) it has 21 "Vintage style frets" (no idea what that means) The finish on the body was beautifully done (mine is in natural finish), altough on the back there were a few places that I could see the use of wood fillers, but hey, they were on the back anyway. I have been pleased with the tuners on the guitar and find that unless I really reef on the wammy bar it will stay in good to for up to a week (altough it should really be tuned before each session). The pickups are allright, but I replaced the pickups in mine with some high quality seymour duncans, a change that is well worth the money because the stock pickups are quite marginal. the gig bag that came with it is good for a gig bag, but it can't replace a good hard shell case. I also love the '70s look and the huge headstock. // 9

Sound: The sound is great for blues, rock, and funk. These are the main things I use it for, and it doese pretty good. I run it through a Peavey Transtube 212 EFX. I thought the tone was a little thin with the stock pickups, and it was somewhat prone to loud hum and a little feedback with too much gain. I gave it a seven with stock pickups, but keep in mind that I give it a ten with better pickups. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was piss-poor from the factory, but I spent some time on it and was pleased with ow responsive the guitar was to my finger movements and how easy my fingers could fly up and down the neck. The neck is possibly somewhat wider then most other, as it is styled as they were in the seventies, so those of you with smaller hands may have trouble reaching the low E-string. The fit is very good. The neck is shaped perfectly, and it is just heavey enough to tell you that you have a serious guitar, but not so heavey that it is uncomfortable. The top was so closely matched that on the one o bought you can't eaven see the seam on the two piece body, however, there was another one in the shop that was so poorly matched, it almost made me cry, so one again, pay attention to detail. The finish is simply impeccable. That is all that needs to be said. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The moment you pick this guitar up, you can tell it is durable. I don't know how much it weighs, but if you like ultra-light guitars, this isnt for you. I have had mine for a little over a year, and have found that it is as durable as a tank. I must at this point, however, chastise Fender for their stupidity in using three bolts instead of four to secure the neck on. I wish CBS hadnt bought the company. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been impreased with this piece of Fender history. I own a Gibson Les Paul, and a Godin Montreal, and am now finding that the ol' Strat is the most popular guitar ever for a reason. If it were lost or stolen, I would go out and buy two more so that I could have a backup, because a guitar this good is likely to be stolen again. // 9

Classic '70s Stratocaster Reviewed by: Henkie, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Kees Dee, Amersfoort, The Netherlands

Features: Mine is a Mexican made 2005 model with a maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, and an Ash body in a beautiful 3 tone sunburst. The rest is Standard, 3 single coil stock Vintage pickups, 5-way pickup switch, and the classic Fender 'syncronized' whammy bar. Couldn't ask more from a Fender Strat. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of different music styles, punk, pop, rock, blues. This baby handles it all very well. It's a guitar with character. Don't recommend it for playing metal. It can handle distortion, but not that much. For that you need humbuckers, but I don't care cause I don't play metal. I use it with a Vox AD50VT, and that makes it very versatile. On clean it's just brilliant, great for blues. Only on heavy distortion it makes some unwanted noise, but that's because of the single coil pickups. By the way, it's not really a problem cause there is a noise reducer on my amp. I'm not planning on changing the pickups, they are allright for me and provide that typical Strat sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar it was flawless and well adjusted. The stock strings sucked so I changed those with D'Addario 009's. Also, I don't use the whammybar so just like the clapton and Johnson strats, I had my bridge locked with a few extra springs. So now it's a really stable instrument which stays in tune very well. No buzz, nice low stringsetting, plays great! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Ofcourse I am carefull not to damage this guitar, and if you treat it properly, it will last you a very long time. I do expect that I will have to replace the inputjack in the future, but for now it's still steady. Strapbuttons are solid but none the less I always use straplocks cause you never know. I don't have a backup guitar cause I'm still saving for another one. I don't expect this guitar will fail on me, but it's always handy to have a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Have been playing for 2 years now and this Fender was my first electric guitar. I have had it for about half a year now and I still love it. It a great match with the music I play and it's a very durable instrument. I compared this guitar with a lot of different Strat guitars, also american made fenders. I could'nt pay for an American Fender Strat but this one gets very close in terms of sound and feeling. It has a personality of it's own, no Fender is the same, and I just love this model with it's big Fender '70s logo on the oversized headstock. So maybe it was a bit expensive for a first electric guitar, but you really get something great! If it was stolen, I would surely buy it again! If I had more money, maybe I would insure this guitar. // 9

Classic '70s Stratocaster Reviewed by: Saebekassebil, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: MusicKey, Gladsaxe, Denmark

Features: My Strat, is the first guitar I've ever bought. It was made in Mexico, with a beautiful finish! The body is made of natural rosewood, and the fretboard of maple, which gives a very nice look. The techs is pretty Standard: 3 single coil Vintage pickups, 5 modes for the pickup Switch. It's the best guitar I've ever owned. // 9

Sound: Well, I play a lot of funk, and the Strat is just perfect for that! It got that little bit of a crunchy sound I love! I bought a Vox Valvetronix AD30 along with it, and even though it's small, it makes just the sound I need for practising home. I also play a big deal of rock, which is also seems perfect for doing! and if you better like the sound of a Tele, well then just play a little with the pickup-Switch and the treble and bass knobs and you're there! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, my finish isn't the most rock 'n roll look you can get, but I still love it, and it got a lot of stickers on it. I bought it from a local shop Who got a very good customer service, so I was down there some times playing around on different guitars, but this was the one. So I ordered it, and it came all the way from the Netherlands! But it didn't contain a single flaw, and it was an out-of-the-box experience I've never tried before! // 9

Reliability & Durability: You gotta treat your guitar well, but even if you don't this guitar will make it! I once dropped it down from like head-height (not on purpose of course) but it didn't get a single scratch, well of course I had to retune, but I think that's pretty normal. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is just: "Wow!". It's the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen, and the best sounding. But I think it's a love or hate situation you got! Maybe you love the crunchy sound of a Strat, maybe not. I suggest you go down to you local shop and try some guitars of, but sure let the Strat be the first! I actually compared to a lot of others the week is was going to buy my guitar, Gibsons and many other models. But after trying all these, I had no choice, I just had to get a '70 Strat! I've been playing for around 2 years now, and it still suits all my needs. and if it was stolen, robbed or in any other way taken from me, sure I would invest in a new! // 9

Purchased from: Professional Music Technology Norwich

Features: Made in Mexico 2008. It has 22 Frets, they are thin Frets on a maple fretboard. It's a laminated Top with the Body Being made of an Ash Wood. The Neck is Ash and Maple, with Black Dot inlays. It is U-Shaped with a Bullet truss rod. The headstock is large with a 70's Logo. The Finish is Natural coloured, one of the few which I feel really compliment a maple fretboards. (Only Alpine White being the other in my opinion). The Body Style, quite obviously is a Stratocaster. The Bridge is a normal Whammy Bar. It came with three Vintage style Pick-ups. (Just stock pick-ups.) The controls are a single Volume Knob, and then two Tone Knobs. The Selecter is Five way. Stereotypical Strat To be honest. The Tuners are Vintage Style "F" Tuners, very reliable. I can give the Whammy bar some battering during solo's and Dives and the tuning keeps itself pretty much stable, with only the 'G' string going only slightly flat, but not enough to be noticed during that particular song. It came with a Gig bag, typical Fender Logo Painted over the front. Aswell as a lifetime warrenty. // 8

Sound: I brought the Guitar through Impulse. I was initially very anti-Stratocasters as I didn't like the lightweight body and treble tones. But recently I began to listen to alot of Biffy Clyro, U2. Around this time I was looking for a new guitar. So went to PMT and was looking for a single Coil sound. Prodominantly telecasters. When this beauty Caught my Eye. It was about 50 over my price range, but nothing I couldn't not afford. So after about 15 Mins playing it, I walked out the shop with my first ever Fender Stratocaster. It is lovely to play in Standard, so For bands like the RHCP's the treble pick-up with triad chords and slight overdrive gives that much recognised sound. But I do like to Drop it into D, and play slightly heavier music like Biffy Clyro. All Five pick-up selections give a really nice sound. Both Clean and distorted. I Use 2 Amps, A Roland- 80X and a Kustom 12-Watt Tube Amplifier. They are both connected to my Behringer Pb- 1000. Within Which is a Boss Ns-2, A Behringer Ultra Distortion, Flanger and Delay Pedal. A Marshall BlueBreaker- II and my newest Pedal a Chord Heavy Metal. I use my Strat with the Delay Pedal and Heavy Metal Pedal for Many of Horror By Biffy Clyro, and the sound it makes is orgasmic. The two Pedals really compliment the Strat, while at the same time the combination of Solid-|Body and Tube amp creates a revolutionary sound, within which I had encountered in my short Music Career. The Pick-ups are noisy, but since they're vintage. It's expected. I was even worried about them in the shop. They are not as noisy as the 60's Model, but still have a slight buzz. (which is why I would recommend purchasing some sort of noise-gate, as I did when I got this guitar, The NS-2 is impecable. But enough of that, this is a guitar review). The Bridge Pick-up was slightly too Bright for me, so I compensate this with the Bass controls on the Amp. These had to be slightly boosted as I am a single guitarist anyway. But other than that I can't fault the pick-up sounds at all. All pick-ups give a really clear sound. The Clarity is amazing, I can have loads of distortion, overdrive, delay on this guitar. And the Notes can still be, as each single note played rings out of the amps. The tone ability of this guitar is almost infinite. I have had it about 9 months and I am still finding new sounds. (as I am only just becoming expierienced enough to use the tone Controls) // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The Action is Balanced, but Fairly High for a strat. I use 10 Gauge Strings so that increased the action anyway. But people have commented it's fairly high tension. But i like it, add's sustain that is lost due to the NS-2. But I shall get a Cs-3 soon, so i may lower the action soo. The pick-ups were adjusted to perfection with the volume levels between switches perfect. Not too much difference, but enough to show a change if I am going to Rhythm-Solo-rhythm. The only Flaw was the nut. It was too thin for the string so as I performed a bend, or vibrato movement, it would catch. This caused really bad tuning problems. But I used a file, and Pencil Lead to both widen and lubricate this nut. Thus problem....GONE :D // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have played 6 or 7 live gigs with this guitar now. No problems what so ever. The hardware will last, aswell as the strap buttons. I have used it at gigs with replacements. ( i have replacements for Acoustics and Pedals) but this Strat will last. I usually replace Strings 2 days before gigs, unless I have several in succession then I change them at the start. I have spares, but as long as your gentle the F Tuners takes good care of them and depending on the strings you could play 7 or 8 shows without changing the strings. The finish seems pretty good, but will probably begin to wear after about 2 years. But as a 70's re-issue I think this is slightly deliberate to allow proper wear and tear of the finish. But the natural finish will compliment the wear fairly well. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 4 years now. This is one of about Three Stratocasters I have actually liked. Which is why it was an impulse buy. But it suites my style, and the sounds allow me to diversify into genre's I before wouldn't have. If it was lost, I wouldn't hesitate to buy again BUT as I have said Stratocasters aren't my favourites. So it may be hard to find another as induvidual as this one. So I would definatly look at this model again, but whether it would be as good I don't know. (As all guitarists know, Every guitar is different.) So overall, I love this guitar. Recommend a Strat player to try it out, if you are looking to buy one. // 9

Classic '70s Stratocaster Reviewed by: rankka, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Used

Features: I play a Japanese Fender Stratocaster 70's reissue. I bought it used about half a year ago, and it was made in 97 I think. The previous owner boosted the sound by adding a Seymour Duncan Hot Rod in the bridge, and an American Fender Vintage something between the other two. The guitar has 21 frets, and is really big around the neck. The frets are about medium sized. Don't know much about the material (don't know much about wood what'soever) so I can't tell you anything about that, except that it's really smooth to glide over. It has as almost any other Stratocaster 2 knobs for tone and one knob for volume. Also included is a five-way switch. When you buy this new the Fender Standard gigbag or whatever it's called is included. // 9

Sound: If you like the Fender sound, but still want to be able to play guns n roses and the like, this guitar sounds awesome. With the Hot Rod (which is somehow a single-coil humbucker) you get the Les Paul tones and with the single-coils you get the clean and sweet sound of blues and whatever else you like. This all is exactly what I play, so to me it's god. I run it through a Vox AC15 CC1. The amp provides the guitar with the juicy sound it really needs, and gives lots of feedback for the single-coils too. The single-coils are rather quiet, but they give a great sound. The Hot Rod is actually really loud, so you shouldn't Switch too much between them when you're gigging. Anyway, the sound is great, and I highly recommend the HOT rod even if you don't have a Strat to play it through. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is 14 years old, so of course it has a few dings. However, it is Japanese, and it is a Fender, so it definitely keeps going. I haven't had any problems at all with it, the dings are solely on the body. The hardware will hold till the day I die, I don't doubt that. What's rather odd however is that the tone knobs are adjusted for the pick-ups, so by example the top tone knob doesn't affect the sound of the middle pick-up. Don't know if it's supposed to be like that or if there's been someone mixturing with the wires. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is god. Don't need to say any more on this. But Ultimate-guitar has a barrier, so I need to write a bit more. I would definitely never need a backup to this, it seems not to yield to damage. There is however one place where the finish has worn off. This however is not an error on the guitar but a moron's mistake from a previous owner who must have struck a hammer or something onto the back of the neck. No biggie however and most of the time you don't even notice it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play guns n roses, bon jovi, and almost anything from the 70's-80's. It's a really perfect match, being able to vary between single-coil and HB. I've been playing for 2, 5 years so I'm no expert but I reckon it fits about anyone who has a taste for guitars. Before this I owned a Behringer beginner's set. After having bought this I haven't used that crap any more. If this guitar got stolen I'd find the guy who did it, beat him up and get it back. Otherwise I'd set out to find another Stratocaster and get a Hot Rod for it. Absolutely love it. Only thing I wished it had would be a big humbucker for a noisier sound. I'd probably buy a P90. But that's in the future and for now I don't really miss a thing. I tried quiet a few guitar before buying this. The Gibson SG was like meh, I like the Strat above the tele, and I like it cheap, so I bought a Japanese. The American-made really is no better than this anyway; most of the day the Japs work the crap out of the Yanks. // 9

Classic '70s Stratocaster Reviewed by: paonekel, on november 09, 2012

Features: Srap and Hard Case I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender // 6

Sound: It sounds Wonderful I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Wish it had a different finish I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender // 5

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender // 7

Overall Impression: Good Buy I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender I love Fender // 7

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ American Telecaster Plus Deluxe Version II 8.2 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014