Classic Player '50s Stratocaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Classic Player '50s Stratocaster
The '50s Stratocaster guitar features an alder body, a maple neck with a 9.5" radius, 21 medium jumbo frets and Gotoh vintage-style locking tuning machines, '57/'62 vintage-style single-coil pickups (reverse wound/reverse polarity middle pickup), custom two-point vintage-style tremolo, a five-way switch and custom pickup switching.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
reviews (2) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Classic Player '50s Stratocaster Reviewed by: Lil Macker, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: £ 499.99

Purchased from: McCormacks

Features: This guitar was made in 2007, I believe. 21 medium jumbo frets on a maple fretboard, which is polished untill it reflects stuff. It's got a alder body, 2 tone sunburst aswell, which I myself find better than the 3 tone sunburst. Normal 'syncronised tremelo' which does not go out of tune easily, even after you do some crazy stuff like Ritchie Blackmore on it. 1 volume knob and 2 tone knobs, do the same thing as any other Strat really. 3 single coils pickups, 'USA Vintage' ones, and they sound better than the 'Classic Series' pickups. Locking Fender/Gotoh tuners; they are quite annoying to change strings, but you get used it, and hey, at least your guitar doesn't go out of tune. It came with a Fender Deluxe Gig Bag and I got a few picks aswell, but that was the shop! It also has aged pickup covers and knob controls, but I'm changing them to white ones, to make it look Brand New. // 9

Sound: I play mostly blues-rock, like Rory Gallagher and some stuff like Thin Lizzy and Deep Purple too. It does really give a nice kick, very Stratish, as you'd expect. Dare I say it, I run this through a Marshall Guv'nor II, then a Zoom 4040, which I use to get a slight overdrive, then a... Marshall MG50DFX. Not the best setup in the world, but I spent quite a bit of money, and it sounds pretty decent now anyways. It's not noisy, which I was a tad shocked at, expecting it to have that single coil noisyness. It gives a nice, bright sound on the bridge pickup, and a hollow sound on the neck pickup. I don't use the middle pickup that often, but it sounded nice aswell. Quite versitile, but it can't do very heavy stuff without a lot of gain. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is set up perfectly, everything seemed ok. The action is nice and low, with no fret buzz, and the pickups were adjusted to give the optimum output. The bridge was routed properly, and there was no flaws really. Apart from a little tiny crack underneath the bridge, but that's it really. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It will withstand Live playing easily, I think. I've only had it for a few days now, but still, everything seems as if it is built to last a lifetime. It comes with a years warranty aswell, so that if it breaks, they fix it/give you a new one for free! Huzzah! I would use it at a gig without a backup, but sadly, I'd have too, because if I broke a string, it would take ages to put another one on. The finish will last, and it looks good too! // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues-rock, as stated above, and it is a good match. I've been playing for almost 3 years now, most likley at a intermedite level or something, and yeah. I own a Vintage V100, and I thought that was a brilliant guitar until I played this. If it was stolen, I would probably just get my Dad to buy me a new one (at knife point, of course). I did compare it to the Classic Player '60s Strat, but I prefer the maple fretboards, and the 2 tone sunburst. Still a good guitar though. You should defenatly try this guitar, if you're looking for a nice guitar with a lowish budget. Overall, a brilliant guitar! // 9

Classic Player '50s Stratocaster Reviewed by: familybucket, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: dv247.com

Features: Great guitar! This is a mexican made guitar but I don't think anyone would notice. 21 frets, shiny maple neck, original contour body, synchronized tremelo, volume, 2 tones and a 5-way selector, USA Vintage pickups and it comes with a nice gig bag. The Pickups, pickup selector and the tone and volumes controls have a gorgeous Vintage creamy colour to them! // 10

Sound: I play rocky sort of stuff- Jimi Hendrix, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Muse. Suits my style and is extremely versatile- don't be put off by the fact that it is '50s' because I think this is just relating to it's looks (which are stunning). When the bridge pickup is selected you will get a clear, toneful (if that is a word) and Strat trademark sound. With the neck pickup is a wonderful mellow, deep and creamy sound- great for warm sorts of styles. The only slight problem is that this guitar is not so good for heavy metal. Punk- yes, rock- yes, blues- yes, funk- yes, grunge- yes! but not heavy metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Definitely a well built guitar. Frets beautifully aligned, everything put together perfectly and a very solid feel. Don't be fooled if the pickups look funny- they have been designed by Fender custom shop so they will be great. Set up really well, pickups adjusted superb, properly bookmatched, properly routed bridge. No flaws! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would never bother with a backup at a gig. I think this guitar will last me years, maybe my whole life! (I hope it does! ). The fretboard gleams amazingly and after 3 months of playing, it still looks band new. It would Definitely withstand Live playing, the hardware should last ages, the strap buttons are solid. The finish is good enough to last forever, and it will take a lot of playing for it to even start wearing off! // 10

Overall Impression: Perfect guitar! extremely versatile, so long as you are not into extremely heavy metal and you like the Stratocaster looks, this is the guitar for you! I would definitely buy it again if it was lost or stolen. I Love everything about and there is nothing I hate about it! Bets feature? everything! It has anyone I would ever want in a guitar- it is like my companion. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ American Telecaster Plus Deluxe Version II 8.2 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014