Classic Player '60s Stratocaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Classic Player '60s Stratocaster
Designed by Fender Custom Shop Master Builder Greg Fessler, the '60s Stratocaster electric guitar features an alder body and a maple C-shape neck with flatter 12"-radius rosewood fingerboard and medium-jumbo frets for easy bending. '69 Strat pickups provide the brilliant voicing made famous by the guitar heroes of the era. Two-point trem plus aged knobs and switch tip for a mellow retro look.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 9.5
 9.1
 9.4
 8.8
reviews (2) 22 comments vote for this gear:
Classic Player '60s Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Mine was made in November of 2006. It's got 21 frets, 12" radius maple neck, rosewood fretboard, Vintage tuners, 69 Strat pickups (handwound by abigail ybarra), SSS configuration, alder body with 3 color sunburst, 2 point tremolo, aged plastic with mint green pickguard, "custom shop designed" neckplate, and a polyester finish. It came with a gig bag, some papers, a cloth, and some tools. What makes this guitar different is it is designed by the Fender Custom Shop, but it is made in Mexico. Overall, it is loaded with features that you would normally see on 1500 dollar guitar, not one that's 550 (the regular price is 799.99, I got mine on sale). // 10

Sound: I play mostly rock and hard rock. your probably thinking that I bought the wrong guitar, but this thing sounds awesome with high gain. I can play anything from Hendrix and Vaughan to Zeppelin and Ozzy. This guitar actually sounds better overdriven than my Les Paul. It also sounds great on clean settings. The only thing I don't like about the sound is it's a bit noisy, especially when I get near the amp. But a noise suppressor can fix that. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up very well from the factory. The only thing wrong was the 5th and 6th strings buzzed a little, but a pro setup will fix that. Other than that, the setup was spot on. The guitar had no flaws, and the finish looks amazing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand Live playing (I have played it Live many times). It's never a good idea to gig without a backup, but if I was gonna choose a guitar to bring to a gig without a backup, it would be this one. I have never had any problems with it, and it seems like it could go through a nuclear war. All the hardware looks great, and seems very sturdy. The strap buttons are awesome, I don't have to worry about it coming loose and eating it on the floor. The finish is really thick, and seems like it should last (I kinda wish is would wear a little but whatever). Mine has lost it's Shine a little, but I play 4-6 hours a day and it's never been polished. I'm sure with a good coat of polish it would Shine like new. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play mainly rock, hard rock, and metal. This guitar can do it all. It screams at high gain, and sound awesome clean. This guitar matches my style perfectly. I have been playing for almost 2 years, and I own lots of other guitars including a les paul. By far this thing sounds better than any of my other guitars. The only thing I don't like about it is I wish it had a nitro finish, but that's not a big deal. My favorite feature (and the selling point for me) is the '69 Strat pickups. They match my style perfectly. If it were stolen I would hunt down the loser that stole it, beat his face in and get my guitar back. // 10

Classic Player '60s Stratocaster Reviewed by: GNRjungle87, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Fender

Features: This guitar is a solid body with a C-Shaped neck that is VERY comfortable to play. More comfortable than any other Strat I've played. It has an Alder body, not too heavy at all, lighter than my Les Paul. It has Fender Custom Shop '69 Pickups in it, and they sound fantastic. Pretty bright sounding, plenty of treble. Tuners seem pretty durable, it stays in tune pretty well, even without a full setup! It also comes with a Fender gig bag, and it has enough padding to take it out. Protects it nicely. Overall, great features on this guitar, especially for the price! // 9

Sound: This Strat suits my music style very well. I like to play SRV and John Mayer, and this guitar is perfect for that kind of music! Very bright, especially with my Egnater Rebel 20 Head. It is fairly noisy, but you can always fix that with a noise suppressor pedal. It's a very versatile guitar, great for pretty much any style of music, clean or distorted! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was actually okay. The action was perfect when I first got it, but I prefer 11's to the 9's that it had on it already, so I had to set up the bridge and everything for that. No big deal. I haven't touched the pickups at all, I may at some point, but for now, since it sounds good, why change it? No flaws at all, everything was perfect on this guitar out of the box! No scratches, nothing was loose, bridge was fine, pretty great factory setup I'd say! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand Live playing. The hardware seems pretty good, I'm not going to change it unless I really have to, which I don't think I will for years. The strap buttons are pretty solid, however I did Switch them out for Strap Loks (as I do with all of my guitars). The finish seems like it will last. Really nice finish. I got mine in sonic blue, and it is beautiful!! // 9

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, blues, and some metal. This guitar can handle all of them, including metal, pretty well. It handles blues the best in my opinion. I also own a Gibson Les Paul Classic With 3 Pickups, and an ESP M-103. If it were stolen/lost I would most definitely buy another one of these!!! I love how versatile and twangy it is, I don't like how harsh the bridge pickup can be sometimes though. I compared it to a bunch of other Strats, including an American, which sounded WAY too muddy compared to this Strat. This Strat is perfect for me, and I wouldn't change anything about it, and I am overall very glad I made this purchase! // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Hot Rod DeVille 410 8.6 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014