Classic Player Jaguar Special Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Classic Player Jaguar Special
The new Classic Player Jaguar Special guitar updates our famous Jaguar model with several thoroughly modern improvements.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 9.7
 9.2
 9.4
reviews (3) pictures (3) 24 comments vote for this gear:
Classic Player Jaguar Special Reviewed by: add_g, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: I purchased this guitar about a month ago from Sam Ash. It came with a gig bag and two allen wrenches. + Made in Mexico in 2008 + 22 medium jumbo frets. + Alder body, and a maple "c" shape neck. + 3 color sunburst finish + Jaguar offset body + Adjusto-matic bridge with Vintage style floating tremelo tailpiece and tremelo lock button. + One volume knob, and one tone knob for the lead circuit. One on-off Switch for each pickup, and a two position tone Switch. One Circuit selector Switch and one volume and one tone roller for rhythm circuit. + It comes with 2 Special Design Hot Jaguar Single-Coil Pickups. + None locking Fender tuners. + Gig bag, and two allen wreches, one for adjusting intonation, and one for the truss rod. // 10

Sound: I play lots of blues and jazz, as well as some rock. I hook it with a Peavey bass amp. In the lead circuit with the tone selector in the up position, I can get a nice bluesy twang. In the rythym circuit I have been able to get some nice Acoustic tones, as well as some good distortion without too much tone. The pickups make almost no noise and have a wide variety of sounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action, and the pickup height was set up perfectly at the factory. All the electronics worked, except for the rhythm circuit switch, which was acting more like a kill Switch until I brought it back to Sam Ash to get fixed. One of the white inlays on the bridge is also slightly misaligned, but other than that I have had no real problems with this guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems very durable, but I haven't had it long enough to drop on the floor yet. The finish seems like it will last for a few years to come, and the strap buttons are on pretty strong. All the hardware seems pretty solid, and I would definetly bring this guitar to gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of jazzy stuff, and some bluesy rock so I find this guitar to be a good match for my playing style. The only style of music I wouldn't really recommend it for would be metal, although it does get some good distorted sounds. I just love all the controls, and the way it sounds. My favorite thing about it is probably the bodies shape. It makes it very comfortable to play while sitting down. If somebody stole this I would definately buy another one. // 10

Classic Player Jaguar Special Reviewed by: Fear3445, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: A$ 1300

Purchased from: Mall Music

Features: The classic Jaguar with new and improved features, new pickups which give a more fatter tone and a bit more oomph, than the older models, new neck pocket cut provides better pitch, trem plate moved closer to Bridge to increase break angle and sustain. - Made in Japan in 2011 - 22 Medium Jumbo frets, Rosewood Neck, "C" Shape, - Candy Apple Red Polyester Finish - Alder Body - Jaguar Offset Contour Body - Adjusto-Matic Bridge with Vintage Style "Floating" Tremolo Tailpiece and Tremolo Lock Button - 2 Special Design HOT Jaguar Single-Coil pickups - 2 On/Off slide switches, one for each pickup, "Lead" Circuit: Volume, Tone. "Rhythm" Circuit: Volume, Tone - Comes with 010-.046 gauge strings, gig bag, and I got one alan key for adjusting bridge // 10

Sound: I play a wide variety of music everything from Jazz to Alternative/metal and everything in between, so far it suits a lot of my music, It's great for Indie & Surf when you need that treble sound, and it can give a great oomph sound when playing Punk, Alternative and Grunge (the main three genres I play). I run this through a Fender Front man and the clean sound is unbelievable, I love the crisp sound it can give, and it gives a amazing warm tone when you fill the room with Jazz. I personally think this guitar is awesome, the day I bought it I couldn't help but pull out Nirvana and rock on through the night. Overall this guitar is exactly what I need for about 80% of the music I play, the other 20% would need something really heavy. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set up ok, I did have to back to the store so they could help me out with setting it up further, the pickup's have been set up nicely, the only real flaw with the guitar was that one of the alan key screws on the high E string was really loose, and it would fall out while I was playing, or if I turned it upside down. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think that now that I have cleared up all the minor problems with the guitar, it will last a while with my playing (I tend to hit the strings pretty hard and swing around while playing) The strap buttons are pretty solid, I can definitely depend on this, I wouldn't bring a "backup" but I would bring a different guitar just to add different flavours to the music, the finish looks amazing as if it's going to last eternity, but I'm not to sure about the white pick guard, I'm a little afraid it's going to turn yellow, but with proper care I'm sure it won't. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an amazing match for me, I couldn't take my eyes of this thing when it was in the store (there was also a chair conveniently placed in front of it) I have been enjoying the Jaguar for roughly 4-5 weeks now, I also own an Ashton Strat HH copy (its horrible), but being a HH it has a humbucker so its a more grunty sound, If this was lost or stolen, I'd not only get extremely angry and I would definitely buy another if I had the money to throw around, I treat this thing like my baby, I love the general sound a look of the guitar, I don't hate anything about his guitar. // 10

Classic Player Jaguar Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: T.R. Music Birmingham

Features: I think I brought the guitar in 2010 and it's made in Mexico. Factory standard features are: - 22 medium jumbo frets. - Red, Alder body, and a maple "c" shape neck. - Standard Jag tailpiece with an adjusto-matic bridge and a screw in trem arm. - Standard controls and wiring for a Jaguar. - 2 Special Design HOT Jaguar Single-Coil Pickups. - None locking Fender tuners. - Gig bag, and two allen keys. // 9

Sound: I first brought this guitar for indie/pop and surfy stuff. Soon progressed onto shoegaze and now a blend of that, punk, grunge and noise. I feel it fits all these things well. I love the neck pickup but personally find the bridge pickup far too harsh and weedy. I use with a Marshall Shredmaster, EHX HOG, Boss RV-5 amongst a lot of other pedals into a '78 Fender Pro Reverb. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first purchased the guitar the bridge was put on wrong at the factory creating a lot intonation issues. The shop sent it back and it got corrected but took over a month to return back to me, although this is obviously a mistake and not a general problem with the guitar. I suppose it just demonstrates some of the quality control in the Mexican factory. Besides that problem there is nothing else to grumble about. Action is fine and it feels great to play. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Definitely withstands live playing! I've had some issues with things breaking but you can tell by the chips and dents that it's been fully put through it's places. After lending it to a friend the trem arm started unscrewing the actual inside of the bridge, it must of been screwed in too tight and come undone. This had to be replaced. I changed the strap buttons for strap locking ones and they seem to be working there way loose now, I have to keep tightening them up. // 8

Overall Impression: I have had to change somethings about this guitar to make it feel perfect for me. After the trem system broken I replaced with a staytrem (same system that's on the Johnny Marr sig) which I LOVE! I also changed the volume and tone knobs for Telecaster ones, I think they love better, and as I do a lot with volume rolls, they just feel loads better to me. If it was stolen or lost I'd definitely get another Jag. Since playing this guitar I cannot feel as comfortable with anything else, I never pick up any of my other guitars. It would obviously look a lot nicer with a coloured headstock like the old Japanese ones, so that's one feature I would like. As I've mentioned earlier I'm not fond of the bridge pickup so will be replacing it with a Quarter Pounder pick up. With all those mods finished I'll never want another guitar again, it'll make an amazing guitar completely perfect. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ '64 Bandmaster Head 9 Guitar Amplifiers 07/22/2014