Classic Player Jaguar Special HH Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Classic Player Jaguar Special HH
Made in 2010 in Mexico, but sounds better than most of Mexican guitars. 22 Medium Jumbo frets. Maple C-shaped neck. No surprise here, it's a Fender, with a great Alder body.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 9.7
 9.4
 9.3
 9.5
reviews (3) pictures (3) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Classic Player Jaguar Special HH Reviewed by: grungelive72, on november 09, 2012

Features: This is my beloved Fender Jaguar. Being a huge Nirvana fan, I loved Kurt's modded Jag and had to pick this one up. This is a 2011 model and I've had it since June. - 22 medium frets, 24" scale, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard (very small actually) - Solid Alder body - Nitro finish (very nice, hard to scratch) - Non-traditional Jaguar bridge (similar to tune-o-matic) - Floating tremolo, meant for vibratos not dive-bombs - Passive Enforcer humbuckers (fairly HOT as far as Fender standards go) - Fender Vintage style tuners (Keep tune extremely well) It's a Jaguar so look up what the controls do. There are endless features and tonal possibilities, more than I've seen on any other guitar before. // 10

Sound: My rig: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (amp) Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff Distortion Pedal DIY Kits Piledriver Boost Pedal The Jaguar's clean sounds are phenomenal, especially directly into the HRD. They go from spanky when the coils are tapped, to much darker when in hum bucker mode. The neck pickup gives some great cleans in any position, and both pickups together make for some interesting sounds. The low pass filter doesn't make much of a difference to my ears, but it is there. When distorted, the Jag can dish out grungy neck humbucker tones and great chunky tones from the bridge pickup. With my Metal Muff I can actually get some great metal sounds out of this. However, the coils are noisy when tapped and distorted. Overall, the distorted tone is very trebly due to the alder body, and the pickups tend to be really trebly as well. When I use the HRD's normal amp distortion with the boost pedal, it cranks out some great classic rock vibe in an almost AC/DC or Led Zeppelin way. The Jaguar sounds are very unique, which I love, and there is no end to the great tones that can be synthesized with this guitar. DOWNSIDE - When using moderate to high distortion, the Jaguar makes a very odd, resonant sound the comes out after playing a very staccato note. This is because of the large distance between the stop tail piece of the trem and the bridge. The sound is subtle but still annoyed the hell out of me. I fixed it by tying a piece of shoestring around the strings right before the bridge. This eliminated all the excess noise and actually looks moderately cool. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came set up well, but I did find a flaw in the design. I like to use Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom type strings which go 52-10 in gauge. The low E string touches one of the screws the anchors the tremolo plate to the body, and produces a buzzing noise. This does not affect the amplified playing, but is annoying. Other than this, the guitar is near perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged with this several times since getting it, and it has never let me down once. I used it without a backup and felt very comfortable. All parts show little wear except the pick guard, but that's what its for. My only peeve is that the switches do seem a little flimsy and like they will wear out sooner rather than later. The finish is great, almost impossible to scratch. // 8

Overall Impression: I play blues, jazz, djent, metal, classic rock, and pretty much everything. My band is a mainly alternative group, and this guitar sounds phenomenal. I play rhythm mostly but I do all the solos as well. The Jaguar shines like a star for both of them and the white finish looks great. I got more than I paid for and I really have no major complaints. The Fender Jaguar is extremely versatile and I'd recommend it for almost any style of music. I'd cry if this were stolen. I may change the pickups in the future, but that is just my preference. Overall, I love this guitar and it is among my most played guitars. One of the best MIM guitars ever. // 9

Classic Player Jaguar Special HH Reviewed by: ibetheadmiral, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 800

Purchased from: Euroguitar

Features: Made in 2010 in Mexico, but sounds better than most of mexican guitars. 22 Medium Jumbo frets. Maple C-shaped neck. No surprise here, it's a Fender, with a great Alder body. But it doesn't really sounds like older Jags because it has two splittable Enforcer pickups (humbuckers). The bridge is different from other Jags, this one being a Fender Adjusto-Matic with a tremolo bar. This guitar has tons (actually 8) of control knobs, which is gold for picky players. There are of course a volume knob and a tone one. In addition there is a master kill (which can mute both pickups at once), 2 knobs to enable/disable each pickup, 2 knobs to split them in single coil pickups and a final one to cut some low end. It comes with a deluxe gig bag. // 9

Sound: I play several music styles and this guitar is great for all of them: post-hardcore, old school punk hardcore, post-rock and progressive rock. I also play some heavy hardcore stuff with this guitar and it works great! Overall this guitar isn't noisy. The neck pickup in simple mode has a great clean jazz/blues sound in clean and overdrive settings. On humbucker mode it sounds a little muddy but it has great low end on distorsion when doing palm mutes. Really heavy! The bridge pickup sounds quite the same but a little softer: it makes it better for rhythm guitar, of course. It still has a Fender feeling, but it's way heavier than most of other Fender guitars. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't notice any flaws. Maybe the pickguard is not perfectly cut around the bridge, but to be honest, that's all. I've seen lots of mexican guitars that had imperfect finishes but definitely not this one. There are two finishes available, a white one and a 3-tone sunburst one, both with a dark red, Brown shell pickguard. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This Jag is a little bit heavy, compared to other Fender's; but it's not as heavy as a Les Paul or a big BC Rich, of course. The hardware seems to be high quality, so I think it will last. The polyester finish seems pretty solid so I'm not afraid about it! // 9

Overall Impression: Considering the music genres I play, this guitar is pure gold. Sometimes I play death metal and even if it's definitely not the best guitar for it, it's still a good match. I used to play on a BC Rich platinium series so it's quite a new world for me! But I would buy it again, and again, and again, as this is the best guitar I've ever played in this price range. I love really everything about this guitar, and there's nothing I hate. But thinking of my favourite feature... I can't choose between the 8-knobs electronics and the neck! On a side note, it has an awesome high fret access. Finally, I must clarify something: its bridge and tremolo are better than other Fender's, but it's doesn't go as far as a Floyd Rose of course. // 10

Classic Player Jaguar Special HH Reviewed by: Ynfiniteblyss, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Muscic123

Features: Got it brand new from Music 123. Made in Mexico, olympic white. Loads of really cool features. One of the most notable of them would be the enforcer humbuckers, which can be adjusted to single coils. What makes this unique is that you can get the "in between" sounds since you adjust via those wheels. Turning to extreme ends maximizes the humbucker or single coil sound, but the midways allow you to blend them to your liking. Another cool feature is the switch that lets you cut the lows. Using this feature allows you get the twang you need, and shift back to the beef instantly. Using these features would give you almost endless combinations of sound. Its very useful when playing through an unfamiliar amp, it makes it easy to get the tone you really want while leaving the amp settings on flat. The pickup switching system comes in the form of on-off switches for both bridge and neck. Other than those, you get the standard volume and tone knobs, and a nice trem bar that stays in tune with casual whammy use. I'd give this a perfect 10! // 10

Sound: The sound is where this guitar shines most! I have a modified Strat, 2 Les Pauls from Gibson and Epiphone, an Ibanez S series, and a Vintage Lyle ES335 copy. But personally, I have found identity with the sound of my Jag. As mentioned before, the combination of sounds you can do is pretty wide. You get the ballsy warm tones, and adjust to what kind of ballsy warm tone you want, and also the bright twangy tones, and again adjust to the bright twangy tone to your liking. This is a guitar that you can actually "command" the sound you want out of it. The high output enforcer humbuckers is perhaps the best sounding pickups I have ever heard! Perfect for both clean and distorted playing! Doing guitar solos lets it cut through the other sounds coming from the band! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little high when I got it, but then again action is subject to preference. A trip to the luthier did the trick. All in all, it was perfect, from finish, to alignment, etc. Outstanding craftsmanship from our Mexican friends in the Fender factory! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I use this as my main guitar live! And I don't bring backup! I also use this for practice, and not once it has failed me. Everything is intact, nothing looks like it's gonna give, this is how every guitar should be! This is a very very well built instrument that would probably last until my great grand children decides to play guitar! // 10

Overall Impression: I play all sorts of stuff, but mostly rock, and all the other sub-genres of rock. I have been playing for more than 14 years. I run this through a series of effects, and most of the time the amp I encounter for gigs would either be a Marshall, or a Fender. But whatever amp I run it through, it sounds amazing! There is nothing I don't like about this guitar, in fact, if ever this guitar gets lost, stolen, or whatever happens that gets it out of my hands, I'd buy another one of the exact same model!!! Maybe other more expensive guitars are really really good, but I'd say this one can stand up to par with them at half the price!!! All in all, this is an awesome guitar!!! // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jaguar HH Special 8.2 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014