Classic Player Jazzmaster Review

9.5
reviews (4) pictures (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Classic Player Jazzmaster Reviewed by: SpanishYanez, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Sweetwater

Features: I'm not too sure when it was made, but I do know that this little beauty was made in Mexico. It's got the usual Jazzmaster looks but with a few twists. One would be that they gave the fretboard a flatter radius, a different style bridge (like a Gibson TOM bridge), the tremolo plate is moved closer to the bridge (which was kind of a bummer since I wanted to have a pickup installed like the way Sonic Youth did to their Jazzies), and hotter pickups. Then you have the 3-way Switch, rhythm and lead Switch each with their own volume and tone. The guitar came with the Jazzie whammy bar and a gig bag. The only thing I have against it is the Rosewood fingerboard, I'm more of a maple board but I'll just swap it for a Warmoth neck eventually. // 8

Sound: Since I started to hear Indie and early alternative rock, I knew that I needed a Jazzmaster but the pricing on the Am Vintage's models were just downright insane. The guitar sounds a bit hotter than what the original Jazzmaster sounds like, which is pretty cool. It sounded a bit more mellow than my 50s Strat but a bit more brighter than my Les Paul Custom...in other words just right for me. The neck feels pretty good, but since I have small hands I have to suffer the curse of the long scale neck (but I can manage). I use this guitar with a Fender Blues Junior amp, a couple of fuzz pedals along with some modulation and two delay pedals, the basic shoegazer setup. I manage to get that Indie sound, but since the Blues Jr. doesn't distort much I'm planning to get either hotter pickups or a distortion pedal. It more quiet than my Strat, but it has this wierd feedback sound that I love when I Drive it close to the amp. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was okay, but the boys at Sweetwater made this guitar feel just right for me. They took care of the basics of intonation and setting it up. The guitar had a noisy Switch on it but went away after a couple killswitch like flickering. The whammy bar seems pretty tough to abuse. It does get that string pinging but I'll take care of it soon. Other than that it's pretty much in new condition and still holding up against my Gorilla punch strumming (thank you Fender for the TOM style bridge with grooved saddles). // 8

Reliability & Durability: I use this guitar for my church and for home jams, the guitar seems real stable. The strap buttons are still holding on, so I'm happy with it. The finish is the Polyurethane finish, so odds are it won't wear off anytime soon like the Nitro finish. In other words this guitar is more solid that what I thought it was going to be. // 10

Overall Impression: With my Indie phase already here, this guitar was the somewhat perfect match. I've been playing for about 5 years and own a Strat and a Les Paul Custom (Epi). I love this guitar but at the same time wish that the tremolo plate wasn't moved closer to the bridge because I wanted to add a single coil pickup behind the bridge. I love the shimmery sound I get when I do the noisemaking haha. If it were stolen I would be sad but at the same time know that when I do save up for an American Jazzmaster, know what to somewhat expect. Fender knew what the modern Jazzmasters wanted, with the bridge and hotter pickups. I recommend this guitar to UGers wanting a Jazzmaster without breaking the bank. // 10

Classic Player Jazzmaster Reviewed by: All Good Gonz, on november 09, 2012

Features: The Classic Player series Fender Jazzmasters are a brand new line of high end Mexican made Jazzmasters with some modifications and updates to the design. Mine was made in April of 2008 and it features a 3 tone tobacco sunburst alder body featuring that sweet offset waist contour that makes this such a beautiful guitar, 25 inch maple neck with 9.5" rosewood fretboard and 21 medium jumbo frets, non locking Fender Vintage style tuning machines, chrome hardware, the pickups are the signature wide single coil Jazzmaster pickups but these are a bit hotter than the classic design, a three way selector Switch with volume and tone controls and seperate lead circuit Switch with it's own volume and tone controls, adjust-o-matic bridge with syncronized floating tremolo tailpiece, and finally a tortoise shell pickguard which I swapped for an anodized gold pickguard to give it a Vintage look. It came with a Fender gig-bag // 9

Sound: I play jazz, blues, alternative/indie rock, reggae, funk, psychedelic. I use a Line 6 Spider II amp for practice and small gigs and run my setup through a PA system for other gigs. I use a DigiTech RP350 with which I mostly try to get a smooth but grimy blues sound or a warm jazz sound. This guitar is very versitile in it's range of sounds, you can get a little bit of everything except humbucker style thick tones. There are so many tonal options ranging from soft warm jazzy rhythm tones that don't quite match the hollowbody richness but offer a unique sound, to Telecaster-esque sharp trebly lead tones, and lets not forget those wavy surf tones, and the tremolo works well with all of them. The only thing I can not achieve with this guitar is a really sharp grimy blues sound. Being that it is a Fender guitar it will be able to play the blues well but it would need Tex-Mex pickups to hit the sharp SRV style blues tone // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup on this guitar was great from the get go, I have not had to adjust the action once on this guitar in the 6 months that I have been recording and gigging with it. The pickups were set real nice and allowed the best tone. The setup offers a lot of string dexterity so you can really bend these guys pretty hard, that makes this a great lead guitar. On the Classic Player series the tremolo setup is moved about a half inch closer to the bridge which makes strings popping off of the saddles much more difficult, a significant improvement as the other Jazzmaster models had a much bigger problem with this. I believe they had a much wider demographic in mind with this design thinking about the needs of the later generations that used this guitar to make spacy Indie rock rhythms and distortion laden hard strumming grunge licks. The guitar is not a light one but I've certainly handled heavier. The finish was great and the only flaw was a small ding on the side which was Guitar Center's fault, not Fender's. // 10

Reliability & Durability: With Fender you really get what you pay for. This guitar is very solid and reliable, I play at least one gig a week or every two weeks and I have been using this guitar for the past 6 months. I have never had any need for a back up guitar as long as I have this one. It really holds up super well during a gig, the strap buttons are solid. I have not had to do anything with it besides change the strings. This is in the higher end of Fender guitar and you can tell that it is a solid instrument made with quality parts. The finish is great, it's a thick polyester coating that was meant to last a long time and age gracefully. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great instrument and really fit's my musicianship well. I am constantly in search of perfect tones which means that I can not get everything that I want from this guitar alone, however this is an incredibly important part of my sound aside from a hollowbody guitar for certain style of classic jazz, and a Stratocaster with Tex-mex pickups for heavy sharp blues tones. I went in to Guitar Center and played this thing everyday for almost 2 months and did all my research online, I knew exactly what I was getting. I would be thoroughly disappointed if I lost this guitar and I would resolve to replace it with another just like it, this guitar has so much personality to offer the world of music. It plays super smooth and well like any other high end Fender guitar but this one has such a wide range of tones that I just can't get enough of. I believe that this is the first in what will become a large collection of Jazzmasters // 9

Classic Player Jazzmaster Reviewed by: noisewall11, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: parkway music

Features: My Classic Player Jazzmaster was made in 2010, in mexico. It has 21 medium-jumbo frets, 25.5 inch scale with rosewood fingerboard. Has an alder body, while the neck is maple.. Transparent sunburst finish (one of the most beautiful I've ever seen to be honest)and a redish-brown tort pickguard. Of course the body style is the normal offset waste, like on every jazzmaster. Fender Adjusto-Matic Bridge, Special Design Hot Jazzmaster Neck and bridge Pickups. There are quite a few switches and knobs on this thing, it has the normal vol and tone knob. Three way pickup selector on the right side of the body(up-neck pup., middle-both pups, down-bridge pup.) then there is the rhythm/lead circut on the left side.(right-rhythm, left-lead).has Fender Vintage style tuners, non-locking. Came with a gig-bag, some Fender based goodies on paper and the legendary jazzmaster tremolo bar. Btw, the guitar also has a tremolo lock system(little silver knob right above the trem. Hole.)which is there in case you break a string, you push it up and the guitar will stay in tune. // 9

Sound: Suits my music style perfectly. I play a broad range of rock/metal sub-genres.noise rock, post rock/metal/punk/hardcore, expiramental, alternative, progressive, psychadelic, grunge, indie, sludge, drone/ambient, industrial and even surf rock for the day or so that I've had this sexpot. I'm playing with a 20 watt Roland cube amp, EHX big muff, Boss CEB-3(yes, that's a bass chorus, but it sounds equally as good on guitar) DigiTech Turbo Flange and DigiTech hardwire delay(DL-8). It's a pretty quiet instrument from what I can tell, even though these pickups are supposedly way hotter than the original jazzmaster pickups. This guitar is very chimey and "pianic", even more so once you play it on your own set up (I didn't like it nearly as much on the amp at the store, then I got home and plugged it in and WHOAAAA..) I thought "no wonder sonic youth and all of the post- rock guitarists use these things". I can't lie, this IS one of the best sounding guitars I have ever heard. I keep it mostly in the rhythm circut usually with both pickups on because it is the most piano like. The neck pup is more or so like this as well, while the brige is really punchy and thicker sounding. The lead circut (which has only one sound)is thick like the bridge pickup as well. Overall this guitar has a great variety of sounds, the only think it lacks is humbucker tone (naturally, cause both pickups are single coil) // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Parkway music sets all of their instruments up, so this thing was pretty much in perfect condition and was good to go. I tried this same model at a different store and the bridge was all buzzy and it didn't sound as good. I didn't have to adjust anything to my liking, it feels just right as they had it. No flaws really, besides some odd scratches on the pickguard. But fortunatly for me they aren't really noticable, and seems to give it a bit of character. I plan on eventually replacing it with an anodized gold pickguard anyway.. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only really had this guitar a day, but it seems like a pretty solid. No hardware flaws or anything(yet). I think it will be a dependable guitar. These are just my predictions though; who knows what the future holds from us? I still need lots of time to test this thing's durability. // 9

Overall Impression: I know I gave this thing a very maxed rating, and I know alot of people hate that here, but I honestly think it is that good of a guitar.. So sorry if you have a problem with that, cause I don't care. It, in my opinion is well worthy of those ratings and it could easily be priced way higher for it's quality. Alot of my influences use these guitars (lee ranaldo, thurston moore of sonic youth, jesse lacey of brand new, kim thayil of soundgarden, the guys in bush..I could keep going)and I can see why. Only things I wish it had were a killswitch and a pickup under the bridge! (predictable, right??) // 10

Classic Player Jazzmaster Reviewed by: TomMon, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Peter Cook's, London

Features: Mexican Fender Jazzmaster. 21 Fret, 25.5 scale length. Standard alder Jazzmaster body, maple neck with rosewood board. I got the black finish with tort guard. Has the standard Jazzmaster switching system, which is really much simpler than it gets credit for (I turn the Rhythm circuit off and use the switch as a kill switch most of the time). Non classic appointments include the TOM bridge in place of the notoriously dodgy Jazzmaster one, tailpiece closer to the bridge for string stability and new pickups. Technically unique, these pickups are P90 magnets wound wide and flat like standard Jazzmaster pickups. The result is a classic Jazzmaster pickup with added bite. // 10

Sound: I play rock music, mostly punk with both metal and pop elements and this guitar stacks up well. I run it through an Orange Tiny Terror set to a classic ACDC crunch sound, and add more distortion with a Boss DS1 if necessary. The pickups are very versatile, running the neck through an EHX Small Clone Chorus you get a lovely shimmer, the between pickup settings give you a perfect rhythm sound clean or dirty. The bridge is where I spend most of my time, it has all the single coil bite you could ask for. The real ace in this guitars hand is the tone control though. On many guitars, the tone control is effectively void (coughSGcough), but the Jazzmaster is one of the most treble ridden guitars out there. This means you can get brash, cutting bite when you need it, but by rolling back the tone you can get distorted sounds similar to those of a humbucker. Seriously, if you spend some time with this guitar and actually use that second control knob, you'll be impressed. On the minus side, this guitar won't sound like a powerful humbucker. It can do a good metal impression but ISN'T the real thing. Loses a point for this, but then if you're after a Jazzmaster, you probably don't want this sound anyway. Also, noise. You can do things to reduce it, or harness it like Sonic Youth (good fun actually), but it's there and lots of people don't like it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar had a perfect setup which is easy to maintain courtesy of the TOM bridge. The fit was flawless. No chips, loose parts, bad paint, nothing. Action was perfect for me, but I know most people like it lower. We'll lose a point since I reckon the majority of you would have needed to adjust, but only a point since its so damn easy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Right, I'll preface this section by pointing out that I BATTER my guitars live. I swing them around, fall on my back and slide tackle the bassist. This is my main gigging guitar, and I'm playing on average about once a week. The hardware is solid. Doesn't lose tune even with whammy abuse, doesn't lose intonation (I check regularly, only minor adjustments every couple of months necessary). I had a problem with a sharp tailpiece part which was breaking my high e, but this sort of wearing in problem is not uncommon on new guitars, and a year or so after having it seen to I haven't lost a string. The bad - I have Schaller strap locks installed, and I think the changed angle of pressure on the strap pins results in them wearing loose. As in, after a gig, I will need to tighten the pins. I plan on glueing them in at some point, but I shouldn't need to. -1 point. I would and have gigged without a backup. My bandmates Epi Les Paul has died on stage, and he has ended up using our backup guitar. The CP Jazzmaster is a pro instrument, and holds up like one. Finish is solid. I've got chips and buckle rash, but the thing still cleans up beautifully. If you want to develop natural patina, you can, but this guitar shouldn't be hard to keep mint. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing over 8 years now, and I own seven electrics covering most archetypes. The Jazzmaster is second in versatility only to my coil splitting humbucker Tele, but has way more character than any settings on that guitar. I love pretty much everything about this guitar. I'm becoming a bit of a single coil enthusiast, but if I wasn't playing this guitar I would have probably ended up with a HSS Strat. I was expecting to get one of the HH coil splitting jaguars (I have small hands), but I don't need the short scale, and the longer one on the Jazzmaster just feels right. If it were stolen, I would grieve before getting another of the same, because this guitar is my excalibur. I pride myself on playing everything, from Les Pauls to Strats via Danelectros, but this is the guitar I would play if I had to choose one for the rest of my life. I fell in love with it almost two years ago, and it's still the guitar I get excited to play the most, and this renders any flaws redundant to me. A big, fat, frankly unjustifiable ten. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ American Telecaster Plus Deluxe Version II 8.2 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014