Custom Telecaster FMT HH Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Custom Telecaster FMT HH
The Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH guitar features a voluptuously carved and bound figured maple top, a bound and set mahogany neck with a rosewood fingerboard, and a super slim contoured mahogany body.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.7
 Features: 8.7
 8.5
 8.3
 8.6
reviews (7) pictures (5) 22 comments vote for this gear:

Purchased from: Dixie Music

Features: This guitar is simply amazing. To start off with, it was made in Korea. But I do not see where this is such a big deal. I played other teles from the states here, and did not see nor hear any difference. I have a midnight blue finish, something of a rarity I suppose because I haven't seen another one anywhere. As it states in the title, it has an gorgeous flamed maple top (FMT). It has a set mahogany neck with a rosewood fretboard. It has two humbuckers. Some come with Duncans, but mine came with Fenders. Both seem to work just fine. It has two knobs, one tone and one volume. THe tone knob has a coil tap, which means it makes a humbucker a single coil pickup, something only customs have. This guitar sounds incredible and looks almost better than it sounds. // 10

Sound: I play everything from U2 and Pearl Jam to Killswitch Engage and Pantera. Due to its twin humbuckers and coil tap, this axe suits all my music needs. I am currently using it with a Fender Frontman 15G amp, a POS, and this guitar even makes that amp sound good! With the bridge pup, you can get that heavy, metal crunch (with a good amp/pedal). Then with the neck pup you can pull out some tele 'twang for that Johnny Cash tune. This beast can do it all. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't messed with this guitar since I've bought it. The action and pickup heights are dead-on, with no buzzing at all. All of the inlays, abalone inlays, that is, look fantastic. One of my favorite things about the looks of this guitar is the hardware, headstock, and neck. The neck is finished all the way down, and is the fastest neck I've ever felt. The headstock matches the body of the guitar. And the bridge and tuners are both pitch-black, which really adds to the appeal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I am not in a gigging band right now, but I know that this thing could take life on the road. The set neck is very stable, as is all the hardware. I would No Doubt go without a backup with this thing. Though I want strap locks just for safety sake, the buttons are entirely solid. Besides, this thing weighs about 14-18 pounds, so you don't even really need strap locks. But it never hurt to be safe. // 10

Overall Impression: As I've said, this guitar is No Doubt the best I've ever played. It suits all of my guitar needs. I have been playing for a little over three years now, and this is a great step up from my trusty Squier. IF it were lost or stolen, I'd buy it again that day. That includes Strats, other Teles, Les Pauls, and SGs. Nothing can be its versatility and its beautiful looks. If you can, I highly recommend buying this guitar. // 10

Price paid: C$ 750

Purchased from: Mountain Music - Hamilton, Ontario

Features: 2010 Indonesian Fender (made by Cort for Fender), 22 25.5" scaled jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard with oversized abalone Dot inlays on a mahogany neck set onto a mahogany body with a carved flame maple top with a 3 way Switch... Other than the scale length doesn't that sound exactly like a les paul so far? But here is where Fender takes the cake... String thru body for an intense hit of sustain, saddle style Fender bridge which increases that sustain even more because all the vibrations go straight through the metal and into the wood, comes stock with a graphite nut so you stay in tune, one tone which is a coil splitting 500k push/pull and one volume with a treble bleed mod (which were amazing stock but I went up to a 1Meg volume with 930 microfarad treble bleed mod for searing high leads) Seymour Duncan Pickups (59RP in the neck and Pearly Gates Plus in the bridge). // 10

Sound: This Guitar Will Play Any Type Of Music... It has a Gibson-y type tone with way more clarity and sustain when in humbucker mode and when in single coil mode it has the classic Tele Twang... The only problem I have with this guitar is the fact that it does not have the option of going single coil on one and humbucker on the other so you can't get the sound of: 1. An old tele that had a humbucker in the neck and a single coil bridge or 2. A Fat Strat sound (this is a possibility I will not get until they start mass producing 1Meg push/pulls). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was imaculately set-up when I bought it other than the fact that it had a set of 9-46s on it once I switched it to a set 11-52s it was perfect, the pickups were in the proper place and have great string to string volume balance, the book matching was immaculate too, all n all this is the best guitar I have bought in a long time and the price tag was wwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy lower than what I expected. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Oversized strap buttons make sure that your strap will never slip off, I would have bet my life on the fact that this guitar will go through a night without the need to bring a backup when it was stock... Now that I have tuned it that extra little bit I would be wasting band practice time if I wanted to set-up another guitar and I would be more likely to get boo-ed off stage due to lack of practice than for having a faulty guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hard rock, blues, heavy metal, melodic metal, jazz, and twangy rock and I can play all these styles on this one guitar and my pedal board, it is uber versitile and a major sustainiac, if it was lost I would buy go crazy for a while and eventually get a new one, if it was stolen I would go on a rampage to get it back, I wish the music store had another one for me to buy... I guess I will have to buy a J5 Squier and a couple D-Activators next. // 10

Custom Telecaster FMT HH Reviewed by: rockn_regan, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar is a Telecaster Custom not a Custom Classic Tele I. The Fender Telecaster Custom has comes with two Semour Duncan humbucking pickups and a push pull cap. This guitar comes in a mohogany body and neck with a flame maple top (FMT). The neck is set into the body so it's a 1 piece. It comes in crimson red transparent, blue transparent, black cherry and amber. I choose athe the crimson red it really brings out the vibe in the fmt. It also comes with a 3-way selector. The push pull cap splits athe humbuckers into single coils for that sweet thin rhythmic tone. // 10

Sound: I think this guitar is extemely versatile it is an amazing lead guitar. The Seymour Duncan humbucker in the bridge position is from a '59 Les Paul and the neck is a '59 reverse polarity pickup its great for athat thick meaty tone. I have played this guitar threw a number of different amps and have found that it sounds really good threw all of them. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I thought that this guitar was set up very well it comes with a rosewood fingerboard and jumbo frets when I got it the guitar had been threw a factory set up so the fret were al oiled up and so forth. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The strap locks are quiet solid the finish is excellent (polyurethane). The hardware is pretty reliable all though I haven't had too long, I think it is pretty dependable extemely light weight and and a great feel. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is an excellent guitar for any type of player, it's very versitle and can be used in alot of different types of music. But if your looking for that tele tone this is not the guitar for you. This guitar sounds identilce to a Les Paul. // 10

Custom Telecaster FMT HH Reviewed by: PRSkicks, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: The fret count on this baby is 22 jumbo, with mother o pearl moon inlays. The FMT in the name stands for flamed maple top, (took me forever to figure that one out) which is maple on top of a mahogany body and neck. The set neck gives a nice solid feeling that should be essential to any and all guitars. Its a string through body even though there is not a floating bridge, and there is no back panel in conjuction with the strings. The guitar has a three-way pickup selector with one volume knob and one tone knob. The tele came with two Seymour Duncan humbuckers and nonlocking tuners. I think my guitar playing will soon involve a guitar with a floyd rose system, because this Telecaster just doesnt really cut it as far as heavy metal goes. All in all, the Telecaster FMT is awesome and very versatile. // 8

Sound: This Tele does anything you want it to do. The weight (heavy for a Fender) and the maple top allow for wonderfully smooth tone. I love tapping on this guitar, the jumbo frets make the notes nice and clear and loud. This Telecaster is loud regardless if it is plugged in or not; the set neck allows for a lot of resonance. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I thought the action on this guitar was perfect. The jumbo frets make it more likely to play easier with ten gauge strings; so it worked out wonderfully with a slightly high but convienient action. I think the only thing that bugs me about this guitar is that I think the bridge humbucker is adjusted a little too high for my liking, but it was a screw here and a screw there and all was well and right again. Other than the one pickup, I found that the 3-way selector worked wonderfully and was nice and unnoticeably silent. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar live. I didn't need think I would need to use a backup and lo and behold; I didn't have to. The versatility of the guitar allows for hours and hours of jamming. Also, the guitar goes down to drop tunings excellently. For example, I played on my friend's Les Paul (not a super top-of-the-line one, mind you but a Gibson nonetheless) while it was in drop C, and the strings seemed loose and slack compared to the performance of this Telecaster. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Indie, metal, hardcore, classic rock and sometimes jazz, these humbuckers are absolutely perfect for just about any style of music. I play throught a Fender Deluxe Hot Rod w/a Boss Metal Zone and a DigiTech RP80. If this guitar was stolen I think I would just buy the blue version of itself. I mostly compare this to other Telecasters, mostly because the twang is nonexistent but the tone completely leaves others in its wake. // 10

Custom Telecaster FMT HH Reviewed by: stevezapp, on november 09, 2012

Features: 22 jumbo frets on a rosewood board, Flamed Maple Top finish in black cherry burst. It has black chrome hardware (which faded to a lovely aged colour after a few months), floyd rose fixed bridge, two Seymour Duncan humbuckers, three control knobs (two tone, one push pull selector to Switch between single coil and humbucker outputs and one volume). It has a glued set neck. It is also the thinest/lightest electric I have come across. // 9

Sound: This guitar has a fantastic sound due to its humbuckers and push/pull coil tap. This means you can change from a Telecaster sound to a Les paul sound at an instant. The resonation and sustain are also fantastic. There really isn't a sound you can't make with this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I received the guitar with a standard set up, which peformed brilliantly (pick up height, string height etc). There is only one complaint I have about this guitar (and the reason I sold it) is that it drops out of tune very easily. I gig with a band and couldn't use it on stage because of this problem. I had it looked at, but apparently it's a problem inherent with all teles. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I gig with a band and couldn't use it on stage because of the tuning problem. I had it looked at, but apparently it's a problem inherent with all teles. Everything else though (hardware etc) is awesome, fully reliable. I am very careful with my guitars, so I hadn't dropped it, but the finish looks quite durable. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all sorts, but mainly classic rock/modern rock. I've been playing for about 3/4 years. I sold this guitar for a 1989 LTD edition import USA Fender Strat which I play through a Fender FM 100w transistor amp with a 4X12" cab. If you play at home or with mate, get this guitar! For the price it is an absolute steal. I would not however reccomend this to a live player. I am not joking when I say how this drops out of tune, he slightest hammering and she goes. // 9

Custom Telecaster FMT HH Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: To start with I want to mention that the ratings I have given this guitar is in its current standard. I have gotten the humbuckers adjustet and put on some new tuners. I have also gotten in perfectly adjusted and intonated. This guitar was made in indonesia last year(got it straight from the factory:D). It features as the name implies, a flame maple body. It has 22 jumbo frets and a rosewood fingerboard. I have played a lot of different guitars, and necks such as that you find on a les paul is much too fat for my liking. The neck on this one is really thin and that makes it very playable. Its still not so thin that it feels like its gonna break or something though xD. The neck is somewhat unique for a Fender guitar I suppose, and I have to say; It is AWESOME. This guitar came with a couple of Seymour Duncan pickups and they sound great. Pulling the tone knob upwards will split the coils giving you a single coil sound. A single coil sound that actually gives me a better "Fender feel" than my mexican Strat does. Because of the wonderfull neck, the cut body and the split knob it gets a 10 on the features. The tuners are not too god but easy to replace. I currently have Sperzel locking tuners on it and it stays in tune better than the guitars I have with standard american Fender or Gibson tuners on it. // 10

Sound: I have allready mentioned a few things about the sound in the humbuckers. The first few months I had this guitar I wanted to change the pickups because I wasn`t very happy with the sound. But at the time I was playing it through a crappy amp. I currently play it through a Orange ad30 and it sounds amazing! When you use the humbuckers you get an incredible warm sound with lots of great sustain. Because of the wood and the humbckers it actually sounds a bit like a less paul. Only better in my oppinion. Not quite as fat as a les paul. When you play with single couils you get a really bright and light tone that fits perfectly if you are looking for that typical Fender sound. Compared to my american Standard Telecaster this guitar both plays and sounds better. It could be that I have been lucky with it or unlucky with my american standars. But this guitar is clearly my favourite. I used to have several guitars on gigs. Now I mainly use this one because it sounds so great. It fits my music style perfectly. I play lots of music like Coldplay and similar groups, but this guitar also delivers when I play more funky kind of music as well as more heavy rock, like Muse. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well set up from factory with 09. Strings. The pickups were set up quite good =). About the finish on this guitar. It is seriously one of the most beautifull guitars I have ever seen. And I meen it! I have gotten plenty of compliments on it and actually a few people have bought similar guitars after looking, listening to and playing my guitar. You can't tell how beautifull it is just by looking at pictures. When you get those stagelights on it, it shines up like a Diamond. The neck is just incredible! The high frets allow for lots of tonal posibilities like vibrato etc. A GREAT lead guitar. Watch yourself though; push down on the frets to hard and the tone will easily be out of tune. If you are used to playing with standard frets it is easy to make open chords sound a bit off on this guitar because you need to push down gently. that's another thing about this guitar. You really don't need much preasure at all to have a perfectly clean tone. The slim neck allow very fast playing. I am going to give this a 10 too, but when it came from the factory it only deserved an 8. You need to change to a larger string size. 10.`s are prefered. Do that, and have someone who knows guitars to adjust it properly. The tuners were not too god either. Exchange them with som top quiality tuners and its perfect. If your guitar stills fall out of tune, have the nut changed aswell to work better with the string size. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is made in Indonesia, but the quality of my guitar is incredible. It has a low price compared to its true value. Fender have spared some money on parts like the tuners, but it is easy to have them exchanged. The humbuckers and electronics seem top notch. Gonna give it a 9, because it is very reliable, but maybe not as much as a guitar that costs 3 times as much. Annyways, great guitar, seems incredibly solid even though it is very light(that's actually something I am very greatfull for). I have used it several times withouth backup. Only risk is if you break any strings. But with the locking tuners you can change a string in a minute or less. // 9

Overall Impression: You might think that I have been too kind with the ratings I have given this guitar. But seriously, the reason why I wanted to write this review was because I am so incredibly satisfied with it, and wanted to share it with other people who consider this guitar. Put a little extra money into it and you will have a beautifull and unique guitar that is extremely versatile and easy playable. It is also very affordable but don't let that fool you. This is a lot better than most mexican fenders I have tried, and honestly, I like it better than any american Fender I have played, although that might just be because I prefer the slim neck and jumbo frets. I have had this guitar for a year now, and I never run tired of it. I have an american tele, a mexican Strat and a Epiphone 335 sheraton. I have also played a lot on my fathers les paul, but I prefer this guitar over all the others. The quality might not be the same as on a expensive Gibson guitar, but it fits me perfetly and that's why its my main guitar. I reccomend this guitar for annyone who likes a slim neck and the looks of it. You should ofcourse try it first though! Not everybody likes the neck. Hope you found the review usefull! I'm giving it a 10/10 because it is such a great instrument, expecially for such a affordable guitar. // 10

Custom Telecaster FMT HH Reviewed by: gahaze, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: I have a 2003 Brown Transparent made in Korea. There has been alot of conflicting information about this guitar i.e.: Place of manufacture, Type of Pickups, etc. I e-mailed Fender and received the following information that I hope will help straighten out any questions you might have. Production moved from Korea to Indonesia in 2008 - Model Name: Custom Telecaster FMT HH - Model Number: 026-2000-(Color #) - Series: Special Edition Series - Colors: (520) Amber, (538) Crimson Red Transparent, (561) Black Cherry Burst, (Urethane Finish) - Body: Mahogany, with Carved Flame Maple Top - Neck: Mahogany, Set Neck, Modern "C" Shape, (Gloss Urethane Finish) - Fingerboard: Rosewood, 15.75 Radius (400 mm) - No. of Frets: 22 Jumbo Frets - Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm) - Width @ Nut: 1.625" (41.3 mm) - Hardware: Black Chrome - Machine Heads: Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines - Bridge: 6-Saddle Strings-Through-Body Hard-Tail Bridge - Pickguard: None - Pickups: 1 Seymour Duncan SHPGP-1B Pearly Gates Plus Humbucking Pickup (Bridge), 1 Seymour Duncan SH-1N RP '59 Reverse Polarity Humbucking Pickup (Neck) - Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups Position 3. Neck Pickup - Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone with Push/Pull Coil Select Feature - Strings: Fender Super 250L, Nickel Plated Steel, - Gauges: (.009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042), P/N 073-0250-003 - Unique Features: Cream Colored Top Body Binding, Oversized Abalone Dot Position Inlays, Matching Painted Headstock, Graphite Nut - Source: Indonesia - Accessories: None - U.S. MSRP: $839.99 - INTRODUCED: 1/2003 Production moved from Korea to Indonesia in 2008 - DISCONTINUED COLORS: (562) Blue Transparent, Black Chrome Hardware, 7/2004, (539) Ebony Transparent, Black Hdwr, 7/2003, (550) Brown Transparent, Black Hdwr, 7/2003, - COMMENTS: Price drops $50.00 in 2009. As a running change in the summer of 2004 the pickups were changed from 1 Fender Atomic IITM Humbucker (Bridge), 1 Fender Black CanyonTM Humbucker (Neck) to: 1 Seymour Duncan SH-1N RP '59 Reverse Polarity Humbucker (Bridge), 1 Seymour Duncan SHPGP-1B Pearly Gates Plus Humbucker (Neck), In 2004, 538, Crimson Red Transparent changed to Black Chrome Hardware from Black. - WRENCH SIZES: 4 mm Hex Truss Rod Adjustment Wrench, Saddle Height Adjustment Wrench, (1.5 mm Hex), P/N 0050919000. // 4

Sound: I switched out my Fender Pick-ups on my Korean made Tele for Seymour Duncans SH-4JB and SH-2N. One of my Fender pickups was going bad and the SD's suit my playing sound better. Playing through a Behringer V-Tone GMX110. I love the sounds I can get with this guitar playing it through a modeling amp. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: Even though I bought this guitar used I was told it had never been set-up by a professional so I can't truly comment on how well it was set-up coming out of the factory. The guitar I bought was almost flawless and has killer looks. I've since had the neck adjusted because of a slight bow. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I've played in some of the worlds worst garage bands and this guitar has stood up remarkably well to all sorts of crappy conditions. Since I'm not in a "real" band I don't need to worry about having a backup but if I was I wouldn't worry about not having one. Everything is still perfect in the fit and finish. // 1

Overall Impression: Blues, Old School 70's Rock, A Bit Of Jazz. Works great for all these styles. Been playing off and on for 25+ years. I love how light this guitar is and how fast it plays. I was at first a bit leary when I saw the made in Korea sticker and how light the guitar was. After plugging it in and playing for five minutes all my fears disappeared. This is one sweet playing guitar. I don't know if it's just a fluke that I got one that is so nice but I hope everyone else has had the same positive experience with theirs that I've had. // 2

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ American Telecaster Plus Deluxe Version II 8.2 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014