Cyclone Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Cyclone
22 frets. Laminated top. Volume and tone knobs. S/H pickup configuration. 24-3/4" scale and offset waist body. String through bridge. Non locking tuners. Deluxe Fender gig bag included.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 9.5
 8.5
 9.8
 7.2
reviews (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Cyclone Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Made in 2000. 22 frets. Laminated top. Has Volume and tone knobs. S/H pickup configuration. Tex-Mex Strat single-coil slanted in the neck position and a new Fender special design "Atomic-Humbucker" in the bridge.Jazzmaster headstock, 24-3/4" scale and offset waist body give you an alternative look. String through bridge. Non locking tuners. Deluxe Fender gig bag included. // 10

Sound: I play mostly grunge like Alice in Chains and Nirvana and also a bit of black sabbath and it seems to tie in with that pretty well. Im running it through a BOSS DS-1 and a 100w Marshall G100CD half-stack (not bad for discontinued :P). Ive gigged it a few times and it sounds awsome. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it second hand, and had to adjust the action a little as it was a bit high. The guitar was set up perfectly, no problems. Pickups were set great. The sunburst is the most beautiful sunburst I have ever seen. My neck is also a beautiful milky rosewood with creme inlays. The backplate is properly aligned to put the strings through, although some people said it wasn't on right. Also mine doesnt go out of tune while using the tremelo and I like it a lot. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm not sure about live playing but I think this guitar seems pretty dependable. i would definetly use it in a gig without a back up (well I don't really have a back up anymore). Umm I don't know ive had it for like not even a month. I can definitely say that this is going to be my main guitar from now on. I'm gonna put some strap locks on it within the next few days just to keep it secure. Otherwise I don't plan on changing anything. Maybe in like one year if I feel like it needs some modifying I'll customize it but for now I'm fine with it. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is great!!! I loved it from the first time I plugged it in!! Great tone and great neck amazing sound!!! Love it!! A++++++++++ I haven't been playing nearly as long as some of the other reviewers, but I know a great guitar when I play one! I've been playing a Squier Stratocaster (what can I say, it's not like I'm rich) for a while, and finally opted for a better guitar. This is a great guitar for punk and alternative music, and feels more comfortable than my Strat ever will. If it were stolen, I'd try really hard to get it back, but if I didn't, I would just save up again and buy another one brand new, because I love it that much. // 10

Cyclone Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Sounds International, Bath

Features: I recently bought this guitar, a Fender Cyclone HH in pewter. I'm not sure exactly when it was made; the dating article on the Fender website suggests 2002-2003. It's got a Strat-style tremolo bridge, a 24.75 scale length as opposed to the usual 25.5 for Fenders. This means you can put heavier strings on and it'll still play really nicely. It's got a rosewood fretboard with dot inlays on a maple C-shaped neck, and Vintage style tuning machines. There are 22 medium jumbo frets, with good access to the upper register. A Mustang-style body made of alder makes this a fairly heavy guitar (substantially heavier than a Strat, though not as heavy as a Les Paul, thankfully). This has 2 humbucking pickups, described later, and a 3-way selector Switch. A single volume and tone control are fitted, each controlling both pickus. A decently padded Fender gig-bag comes with this, too. This guitar combines the playability of a Fender with humbucker sound and a reliable trem arm, a rare combination. The only thing it lacks is a seperate volume/tone knob for each pickup. // 9

Sound: I was impressed with the pickups in this guitar, since my previous experience of Fender's Humbuckers (in fat strats) has been of a somewhat weedy sound. The Cyclone HH has got a Fender Atomic Humbucker in the bridge, which is one nice pickup. It keeps that classic Fender twangy sound with the added punch of a humbucker. It's got a Fender Santa-Anna humbucker in the neck, which is another very nice humbucker, and gives you a lovely sound on clean or crunch, ideal for blues playing. I'm considering replacing the bridge pickup with something Seymour Duncan (maybe a Pearly Gates), not because there's anything wrong with the stock pickup, but because I have a Stratocaster already, and wanted this guitar for a heavier hard-rock sound so that I have a good variety of sounds between the two, the Atomic could stand to be heavier for that, don't get me wrong, it's a great sound in itself. Both pickups seem to be quiet enough, except when you take them near a monitor, but all pickups seem to do that. Coupled with my Roland Cube 60, this guitar can make a wide variety of sounds, from clean and punchy to murky and distorted. Very nice sound! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar, it had been sat in shop for ages, and the strings were so rusty you couldn't tell how good the setup was. That's why I got it for 350, not the r.r.p. of 550, because I imagine the shop wanted rid by then! I've set it up myself to my liking, with 10 thou' strings instead of .9s, and it plays very nicely indeed. The pickups seem perfectly adjusted, giving an even volume and tone on all strings. The neck is a nice "C" shape. Although Fender spec lists this as a "Modern 'C' shape", it feels more like a '70s/'80s Strat style neck. It's no bad thing, and it still feels great. Everything seems to fit correctly, all the cavities and routings are the correct size and shape. There is a slight and barely noticeable scratch on the laquer which has bene there since I bought it, but considering it already had 200 off r.r.p, I don't think it matters much. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems pretty solidly built, like other Fenders in my experience. I've replaced the strap buttons with Schaller straplocks simply because I don't trust the strap not to fall off. The finish looks nice and thick and good to last. The hardware looks like it should last well, though the bridge is bound to wear out eventually. Give it a couple decades of hard playing. This guitar feels very nice, although perhaps not as nice as my Strat, just because that has my favourite neck ever. I've set the Cyclone up myself, the tremolo not being quite how I liked it from the shop. I would (and probably will) play this guitar Live, though I would take my Strat too. I'd gig it without a backup if I had to though, seems solid enough, as solid as you could expect a guitar to be. // 10

Overall Impression: This matches my styles of music (modern punk, classic and heavy rock, and blues) well. I've been playing about 2 years now and I have my old Squier Strat and my Mexican Fender Strat. The alan keys I got with this Cyclone for the truss-rod and bridge adjustment do not fit. Thankfully I have spares from my Strat, you probably won't have the same problem though. The thing I love most about this guitar is it's simple elegance. It's got a wonderful, smart-looking shape, it's simple, robust, and sounds great. I don't think I really hate anything about this guitar, but if I had to pick something megative it would be that the tuners don't hold tune as well as the modern-style ones as fitted to my Strat. If this were lost or stolen, I wouldn't be able to replace it because I don't think Fender make the HH model anymore. I think I'd save up and buy an American Fat Strat, or buy another mex Strat and give it a total overhaul with new pickups (humbuckers), etc. I compared this to Epiphone G-400s, since I wanted something with humbuckers. The Cyclone trunced the G-400s (even having played a few). It felt much nicer, had a better balance (SGs are very neck-heavy) and also had the whammy bar, which is a plus. It may have cost me only slightly more, but r.r.p.s at a much higher price, it's a vastly superior guitar to the G-400. However, for the 550 it's meant to sell for, I'd probably reccomend either saving 150 by buying a Mexican Strat, try a few out because some are lovely and some are "just another guitar", or save up the extra cash and buy a US Fender. If you see a Cyclone HH for around 400, it's a bargain. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Frontman 212R 100W 8.2 Guitar Amplifiers 04/22/2014