Cyclone II Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Cyclone II
The Cyclone II guitar is a high-speed twister of cool features and Fender style: the sleek lines and competition stripe echo the Mustang guitar, the pickups and switching are pure Jaguar guitar, and the tremolo system is the reliable classic Strat guitar! Featuring a Poplar body, bolt-on Maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard, dot inlays, and medium-jumbo frets.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.7
 8.9
 9.1
 8.6
reviews (3) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Cyclone II Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: Made in Japan, 2005. C-shape maple neck with a 22-fret rosewood fretboard. Alder body in the shape of a '69 Mustang, complete with Mustang competition racing stripe. Strat-style synchronized tremolo bridge. Pickups are passive, 3 American-made Vintage Jaguar type. Master volume/tone controls, plus each pickup has an on/off slider. Non-locking vintage-style Fender tuners. Included a deluxe padded gig bag. // 10

Sound: I play mostly '50s rock 'n' roll, 60's surf, and classic/true punk. I also play some classic rock and alt. rock. Mostly the first 3, though. This guitar suits my styles perfectly. When used in conjuction with some good pedals, you can get nearly any sound out if this. I play it through a 15w Fender tube amp and use several pedals, including Boss overdrive & compression pedals, and a Electro-Harmonix chorus pedal. It has bright tone and does not make much feedback noise. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up from the factory fairly good. The action was a bit high, but it's not really a problem. The pickups were at perfect height, the bridge was properly routed, etc. The were no real flaws. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played 3 or 4 gigs with the Cyclone. It holds up just fine. The hardware is nice and tough, the strap buttons do their job just fine. I would use it w/o a backup, but I still bring my Epi ES-295 eith me, anyway. The finish is nice and thick. // 10

Overall Impression: I like it, and would reccomend it to others in a heartbeat. // 10

Cyclone II Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Sound: I play all forms of rock, and this is a fantastic sounding guitars. At first, I was a little hesitant because there weren't any humbuckers, but as soon as I plugged in, I got that nice crunchy rock sound that I wanted from the bridge pickup. With the neck and bridge pickups, you get a fantastic surf-like sound, and with all three pickups, you get an acoustic-like sound. I use a Crate amp, and it sounds good. The versatility of this guitar is incredible, with 3 on/off switches controlling the pickups, there is no limit to it's sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's finish was flawless, and if you are unsure of the daphne blue color, don't worry, it'll grow on you and others. The competition stripe sends a cool "individual" look. It also is extremely resistant to chipping/dents, as I have have more than a few big bumps without even any scratch. The action required adjusting, but what new guitar doesn't? Fender really did a good job with my guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is extremely reliable. Without a doubt I would use it without a backup. The guitar is very light and has a very smooth, body-contouring shape. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar. I have been playing for 3 years and own six guitars, and this takes the cake. I knew that when I first got this guitar, it would be the standard to which I judge other guitars. I am just so pleased with it. If it were lost/stolen, I would purchase a new one in a heartbeat. My friends were a little unsure about the look of this, but when they saw it in person, they all told me how they love it. I am serious: buy this guitar before it is too late. // 10

Cyclone II Reviewed by: IThinkNot, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This guitar is like the mutt of the Fenders, features from a bunch. It has a short scale neck a la jazzmaster or Jaguar, switching system similar to Jaguar (you can individually switch each pickup on and off), 3 american Jaguar pickups, and a Stratocaster whammy bar. All together, it works out well, I think. The downside is that some components, at least on mine, are a little poor quality. I definately want to upgrade to locking tuners as the current ones detune a little every time I whammy. // 8

Sound: I bought the guitar mainly for the Jaguar pickups myself. Great for getting some straight up Indie rock. I also bought it with the intention of trying out some shoegaze, which it does well. The clean sound is definately Jaguar. People say you can listen to "Under The Bridge" by RCHP to get a good idea. I like the way each individual note sounds out. Listen to "Ode to Street Hassle" by Spacemen 3. Distorted, it performs about as well as my old tele. I'm know it is different, but I can't describe what exactly it is. I play through a Vox AD50VT and a USA Big Muff Pi. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't say as to the factory quality of the guitar, since I got it secondhand off of ebay. And it was slightly poor when I first received it. It seemed like it was in a really damp basement for a long time. Many of the parts were dirty and slightly rusty. But I spiffed it up, adjusted all I could, and polished the fretboard and frets with lemon oil. Now it plays quite well. One gripe is that strings aren't perfectly spaced in my view. It isn't something I can't work around easily, but I noticed it at least. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I replaced the strap buttons with locking ones so I don't have to worry about dropping it. It seems about as solid as any other mexican Fender. Which would be decently solid, by my accounts. I would and have gigged without a backup. And I have had no problems doing so. // 8

Overall Impression: I am actually pretty happy I got the guitar. It was much cheaper than a CIJ or American Jaguar, which was my alternative. I had just gotten bored with my tele, sad as it may be. Teles are great, but they don't have a distinct enough voice for me personally. I think the Cyclone II has that interesting sound that not as many artists use. The pickup switching is probobly my favorite feature about it. I don't know many other 3 pickup guitars where you can play just the neck and bridge together. Makes it very easy to fine tune the sound. I don't think this guitar is entirely easy to find, but it's the kind of thing that warrants a good search, I think. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ '64 Bandmaster Head 9 Guitar Amplifiers 07/22/2014