Deluxe Nashville Tele Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Deluxe Nashville Tele
Down home and versatile, the Deluxe Nashville Tele is outfitted with a Tex-Mex Strat pickup sandwiched between two Tex-Mex Tele pickups. This Music City namesake also features five-way "Strat-o-ToneTM" switching for a unique combination of tones.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 8.5
 8.3
 8.6
reviews (4) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Deluxe Nashville Tele Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: I think it was made in 2003-2004 in Mexico. 21 frets. Mine has a rosewood fretboard but I beieve you can purchase a maple. The finish is sweet. I've had so many compliments on the color. Full-access Telecaster cuttaway to reach all 21 frets. Tortoise shell pickguard. The bridge is okay but it doesn't have a whammy. One volume and one tone knob. And my favorite: the 5-way selector Switch (usually seen only on the Stratocaster). And I now not only do I have the tone of the Tele. I have the versatility of a Strat! The pickups are great, kind of noisey but still sweet. In the neck position, there's a chrome Tex-Mex Tele pickup, in the middle, a Tex-Mex Strat pickup and in the bridge, again, a Tex-Mex Tele pickup. The tuners work fine, they could be better. // 9

Sound: It sounds great. I play all kinds of music except heavy metal and I can see what the previous reviews were talking about when they said it doesn't sound good for metal. I'm using a Fender Blues Deluxe and it sounds great. Tones of variety. It gets kind of noisey on the bridge pickup but just tweak the tone knob down and it's fine. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The only thing is that it's really easy to put finger prints on the finish. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Don't let the "made in Mexico" scare you. Even though I've only had it for 2 months, I know many of people who have had the same exact guitar for years. still is their first choice off of the guitar stand. The strap are perfectly fitted. I got the guitar used and the hardware is kind of oxidized. I'd defintitely gig without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: If I weren't so impatient I would have saved up another hundred bucks and got the "Deluxe Nashville Power Tele" but the regular Deluxe Nashville is just fine. The only difference between the two is that the power Tele has a peizo pickup for acoustic sounds. If it were stolen I'd save up the hundred bucks and get the Power Tele. Other than that the guitar is nearly perfect. // 10

Deluxe Nashville Tele Reviewed by: barney18, on november 09, 2012

Features: I have a 2003 Mexican made Deluxe Nashville Tele that my band mates envy. It's a quite basic Tele; 21 medium frets, alder body, with maple neck and rosewood fretboard. The finish is a gorgeous metallic glossy candy apple red which is a little more on the wine red side than candy apple (and I like it darker). The pickguard is a kinda cheesy tortoise shell that looks kinda cheap, but I ordered a white pearloid pickguard that I'm waiting for. It's a normal Tele bridge with 6 Strat-like saddles instead of the old-style 3 saddles. The controls are the basic tone and volume knobs, with the addition of a 5-way Strat-like Switch for the 3 pickups. // 9

Sound: This is where I feel that this guitar is being sold short. All of these other reviews are being written by people who are playing the guitar through low-end amps. The Telecaster is the most basic guitar made (excluding the Esquire) and will sound just as good as your entire setup. If you have a good amp, it will sound beautiful. If you have a cheesy amp, its gonna sound cheesy. I play it through a Fender Hot Rod Deville 410 and a Traynor Custom Valve YCV80. Neither are really top of the line amps, but they are still great tube amps. I play mainly Indie rock, post-rock, post-punk, and classic rock styles with my setup (Boss DS-1, GE-7, EH Deluxe Memory Man). In the bridge setting, you get the classic piercing Tele sound that you either love or hate. The neck is a very warm and articulate sounding pickup. My surprise favorite is the middle Strat pickup. I love its warmth and brightness and I love using it on clean solos. The combination of the wood and this pickup results in buttery smooth chords and riffs. I rarely use the bridge/middle combo because I like the sound from each one individually better. The neck/middle combo is great for rhythm chords and lines. This is such an amazingly versatile guitar. I love the original pickups, but I ordered some Fender Vintage Noiseless Tele pickups that should be here this week. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar from a guy who barely played it and left the factory action as-is, and while easy to play, it could have been better. The pickups were perfectly adjusted, however, and I haven't messed with them since I bought it last year. Every single part of this guitar was put together perfectly. There were no gaps or uneven spots where the pickguard was installed, or on the control plate, or even in the joint where the neck meets the body. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have played some mighty emotional practices with this guitar and it has seen some action. The hardware is very durable and hasn't oxidized at all. I would totally use this alone at a gig with no backup (even though I always have a couple) and don't see any way that it could mess up on me. I don't see reliability or durability ever becoming a problem with this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: You can use this guitar in any type of music except for metal. I see many punk bands (yuck) using these and it's trebly chords actually sound good along with them. If I lost it, you bet your arse I'd buy another one. Its like having a Strat and a Tele in one guitar, and I can't imagine buying both guitars to replace this one. I love how great mine looks and feels and plays and sounds and I keep getting compliments on how good it looks and sounds. This guitar is way too good for its price. The only way it would be a 10 is if it was a real Vintage Tele. // 9

Deluxe Nashville Tele Reviewed by: AFIfreak94, on november 09, 2012

Features: Made in Mexico. 21 frets. Rosewood fingerboard. Tortoise shell pickguard. Sunburst finish. Laminated top. 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob. 5-way switching. Pickup Configuration: S/S/S. Pickups: Standard Telecaster single coil(neck), stndard Stratocaster single coil (center), Standard Telecaster single coil (bridge). Alder body. Traditional Telecaster body style. Fender Tuners. Medium Jumbo frets. Fender Gig bag included with purchase. // 8

Sound: I play mainly hard rock, Indie, punk, and sometimes funk, I would say that this guitar suits my style pretty well. I use a 15-watt crate and no effects, still sounds great. Not very noisy, slightly noisy on the Strat pickup. Very rich sound. Likes: great tone, well suited for many styles. Dislikes:Would be a little bit more varied if there was a humbucker. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is a little high, could be better. Pickups didn't need any adjusting. Properly routed bridge. The only flaw was that the saddle for my E-string was poorly fit. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar would be great for live gigs. Hardware seems very durable and should last a while. Finish seems ok, could be thicker. The strap buttons are great and get a tight grip. I would use this guitar at any gig, very dependable. I would probably use this on a gig without a backup, it wouldn't hurt to have a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar for any style of music, unless you want to play heavy metal, then I wouldn't suggest it. I have been playing for about a year and this is my second guitar. I don't own any effects, but this guitar is fine without any, like I said before I have a Crate 15 watt amp. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy another Telecaster, not exactly this type though. My favorite feature is the Strat pickup, it gives it versatility. I hate the bridge, but nothing to big. I love everything else. // 8

Deluxe Nashville Tele Reviewed by: ivegot_acat, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Cherry Hill Guitar Center

Features: This guitar is built in Mexico, and I'm assuming it was made in 2004 or 2003. It has 21 frets, and the fret board is made out of light maple, which is beautiful and easy on the hands. The body is made out of the traditional alder wood, while the neck is made out of maple, as well as the headstock. The neck/headstock/fretboard is all basically one piece. The finish is solid, my finish is cherry red and it has a tortoise color pickguard, and it looks really nice. The bridge and body styles are of course the tele style, with the strings coming through the back of the guitar. The controls given are one volume knob, one tone knob, and one 5 way selector Switch. This Telecaster is unique in its pickups, as it has 3 pickups, the one at the neck position is a cylinder shaped chrome pickup, while the one at the bridge position is also a tex mex but is like a Strat with black all around it. The middle one is basically supposed to be a Strat pickup, I haven't played a Fender Strat so I don't know how much it sounds like a Strat or not, but it looks exactly like one. The tuners aren't horrible but they could be better, they go out of tune either sharp or flat after just a week of evening playing. There were no included accessories, in fact my tele was even missing a tone knob, which is the biggest turn of as far as looks for the guitar. // 8

Sound: My music style can be anything I can learn. I usually play rock and classical, and the guitar plays classical wonderfully, but could play rock a little better. This guitar is definitely not for playing heavy stuff without having some effects plugged into it. I use a Harmony practice amp with it, and it's a piece of s--t but it doesn't sound too horrible. I play it with a Crate GX15 at lessons however, and it can get some pretty sweet sounds to it. It has a semi-sweet tone to it, but I'd really rather have a more expensive tele, because the tone is much more sweet, and bright on the more expensive versions. The biggest turn off for my guitar is the string rattle against the fretboard, but this is only my guitar, it's most likely not the same for all Nashville Tele's Overall the sound is not horrible but if I spent even just 200 dollar more I could have gotten much better probably. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's setup was pretty good. The pickups silver colored circular cylindars protruding from the pickups are at different levels but I don't know if that means anything. The guitar's input hole is completely loose though, but it has not affected my playing as of yet. The finish gets fingerprints on it incredibly easy, and I wish the cover thing on the back said Fender on it but it does not. Overall I'm not thoroughly impressed with this guitar, but for the price it is is not half bad. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure this guitar would withstand live playing, the hardware on this guitar (other than the input hole) will most likely last for decades. The strap buttons are solid, and I wouldn't worry about the strap falling off of them. I can mildly depend on this guitar, but I would not use it without a backup. I'm not entirely sure the electronics will be entirely faithful. The finish is good enough to last, and other than finger prints I've had no problems with it. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock or classical on this guitar, and if you have set on clean classical is a wonderful match with this guitar, however with rock it could use more grit to it, more natural in your face tone. I've been playing for about 2 years now, and I own a Martin, Harmony Strat, Harmony Dreadnought, Johnson Uke, and Casio Keyboard. It of course can't compare to my Martin, and for 300 more it is not monumentously better than my Harmony Strat, but it is still my best electric guitar (but not by much). I wish I had been more stern asking the salesman to find a tone knob, and that I had asked about the input hole. If stolen I would either get a better tele, a Epiphone les paul or a more expensive Fender Strat. I absolutely love the maple fretboard, it feels wonderful on the hands and plays exquisetly. I hate how almost everything about the guitar could be better, therefore making me wish for more everytime I play the damn thing. The maple fretboard is definetly my fav. feature. I did compare it to other products, but I had a budget that could not be overlooked. The Epiphone les pauls I played were a lot better than this one, and so were the dots, and the Ibanez Artcore for the price wasn't that much worse. I chose this one because I liked the overall look of it. I wish it had some humbuckers on it. Overall this guitar isn't anywhere near wonderful, but for the price it is an awesome value. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014