Deluxe Players Strat Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Deluxe Players Strat
The Deluxe Players Stratocaster is a revised version of the former Super Strat. Upgraded with American-made Vintage Noiseless pickups, this guitar not only sounds great but with a 12" neck radius and medium jumbo frets it's a workhorse of a guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.9
 Features: 9.4
 9.3
 8.6
reviews (14) pictures (8) 38 comments vote for this gear:
Deluxe Players Strat Reviewed by: StratsDONTsuck, on november 09, 2012

Features: The Deluxe Player Strat is an updated version of Fender's Super Strat. I believe this guitar was manufactured in Mexico in the year 2004 (if not, that's when this model started being produced). This guitar is a common Stratocaster, plain and simple, but it has just been upgraded with some top-of the line Fender enhancements. First, the usual: 21-frets, 5-way selector, two tone knobs, one volume, Vintage tuners, synchronized tremolo, strings! I am almost positive the body is made of ash, though I have never found a website that fully elaborates on this. The neck is available in two choices: maple and rosewood. Personally I chose the Maple because I felt it looked best with my finish (3-tone sunburst) and it would produce a beautiful sound. The neck is a 12" radius C-shaped neck and is very comfortable and easy to play. All 21 frets are very easily accessible and are good sized. This guitar has medium-jumbo sized frets. This guitar being a Stratocaster I'm just going to tell you now, it has a Strat body style. This guitar is available in 4 different finishes: transparent sapphire blue, transparent red, honey blonde, and 3-tone sunburst. The transparent finishes are beautiful if I do say so myself but the sunburst blew me away. I had seen pictures of it, but when my guitar actually arrived I was amazed. Out of all of them, honey blonde seemed least spectacular though it is still nice. It was just too much of a natural color for me. Be warned though, this guitar does not come with your Standard Strat pickguard, it comes with a 3-ply brown Tortoise Shell pickguard. It still looks good, but you will have to base the finish off of how you think it looks with the brown. Now, the best part of this guitar, the pickups. This guitar comes from Fender's Mexico factory equipped with 3-single coil Vintage noiseless pickups. These are among the greatest pickups ever designed, but I'll go into that later. This guitar also comes with a Fender gig bag. Not that special, but it works. This guitar includes a push-button Switch in between the tone knobs. In addition to the 5-way this button is used to adjust your sound. This button activates the bridge pickup when it can't normally be selected due to the 5-way being in a certain position. This allows you to use all three pickups at once. It's like a cheaper S-1. This guitar comes with Fender Super Bullet Strings. Use .09 gauge to take full advantage of the very low action. To take a normal Mexican Strat and upgrade it with this stuff you would be paying way more than you would for this bargain. // 10

Sound: Wow, that's all I can say. The noiseless pickups deliver a wonderful single coil sound. Truly amazing. Imagine taking single coils off of a guitar and eliminating that annoying hum. Imagine taking those twangy, glass-cutting humbuckers and adding some bottom end and reducing some of the treble so the sound is well balanced and buttery. That is exactly what these pickups do. This clean sound is sooooo amazing I could listen to it all day. The standard tone knobs also allow you to tweak the neck and middle pickups for a bit more control over your sound. The bridge pickup clean sounds exactly like a normal humbucker clean. I guarantee, this thing kills when clean. When Distorted this guitar wails with the best of them. Very sensitive though. Good for tapping, handles songs like "Crazy Train" pretty well. With the wrong amount of gain/contour though even light contact with the strings will make annoying squeals. Other than that, I have no complaints with the distortion. These pickups are basically humbuckers, so they get no fuzz, but they still can mimic the Hendrix sound if you have the right equipment. I can also do some pretty good Maiden, Ozzy, Metallica, and Zepellin with the right settings. I play all types of music except hip-hop and rap because you really don't have much to work with in those categories. I bought the Strat instead of something with EMG's because I would need single coils instead of Humbuckers to play Jazz band. So at first I was skeptical about this guitar's sound because I wanted High output pickups for a metal band but humbuckers don't sound too great with Jazz. Unless it's Seymour Duncan's Jazz Humbucker. These thoughts were instantly gone once I heard this plugged in. I was amazed at what this thing could do for my playing! These single- coils sound great with any type of music I throw at it, though I haven't played any "Slayer" yet. I mainly play modern rock/blues/jazz/grunge/and classic rock and these pickups will perform all of them and this guitar will definitely come through in the sound department, clean or distorted. If you don't buy this guitar, and you do have poor stock single-coils replace them with one of these. It's the best move you will ever make. Until Fender releases Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups to everyone that doesn't have a $1200 Strat these are the best single coils you can buy aftermarket (I'm not including single coil slot humbuckers in that statement, because I don't have enough experience with them). Lace Sensors do have a great single coil clean sound, but distorted they are not this good. But then again, sound is a matter of opinion, so see for yourself go play around with some. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything in this guitar was perfect. The only complaint I have is some buzzing in the lower strings. But, once you play enough, the strings will break themselves in and the buzz goes away. The pickups were the perfect height. The strings came in tune. Everything was well lubes and easy to use. The finish is beautiful and so far seems very difficult to damage (haven't tried too much). This guitar is perfectly set up from the factory I have nothing but good things to say to Fender about this wonderful guitar. It isn't much of a problem but I will warn you anyway, the 15th fret and higher isnt quite as smoothed down, but it isn't a problem at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is great, It will last, period. High Fender quality. Reasonable price for a guitar this nice. Everything is solid. It is dependable, but come on! If you can have a backup, why wouldn't you carry one? There is always the possibility of bad things happening. I'm giving it a 5 just because I haven't had any problems with it. This is well made. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all muusic, this guitar fits me perfectly, end of story. If you are buying this guitar, ask how long it will take. I waited a month on backorder before mine shipped, but it was well worth it anyway. If it were stolen, I would hunt the thief down, shake his hand, and congratualte him for being able to hear how wonderful this guitar is. Then, I would steal my guitar back. Otherwise, I would definitely buy it again, I love it. I love the noiseless pickups. I am ot fond of the brown pickguard. I thought the Pickup push button toggle was a good idea, but it doesn't do that much for you. I compared this to a Jackson DXMG dinky, a couple of Ibanez's, a Standard Strat, an Epiphone G-400, and a couple semi-hollow bodies. Above all of them, I love this. At first I bought it for Jazz band, but now I feel I bought it for myself. // 10

Deluxe Players Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: My guitar is a 60th anniversary year deluxe players Strat as indicated by the Diamond sybol on the back of the headstock. The guitar is made in mexico, but do not under any circumstances let this effect your dececion on this guitar. It plays and feels like an American Strat in my opinion. The body of the guitar is made of Ash and the neck is a "c" shaped maple. The fingerboard on mine is rosewood. There are 21 medium jumbo frets. There are 3 "noiseless" pickups on the guitar along with a button just below your tone adjustment knobs to automatically activate the bridge pickup. it's pretty muc hstandard the rest of the way as to what you are used to with strats. 1 volume knob, 2 tone knobs, and your 5 way selector (which there are more combos with the button so actually 7.) My guitar came with a nicely padded gigbag which is fine if you aren't planning on doing heavy giging becasue the bag is very padded. I really don't have any complaints with the features in this guitar. // 10

Sound: First off, let me say that I have an Epiphone elitist les paul, and this guitar is the perfect compliment to it. You can get great clean tones from the guitar to some slightly crunchy tones from the bridge pickup just undre an amp with no extreme settings, just plainly set up. It sounds great with a moderate level of distortion, but I wouldn't reccomend any massive distortion or metal with this guitar. that's why I have my les paul. Blues sound great with the guitar as well. With the toggle Switch set to the neck or neck/middle postition and the button for the bridge pickup activated, you can get some unique sounds from it you couldn't without the button. it's a great guitar for hendrix, clapton, RHCP, and even some Muse stuff sounds nice with the right amo settings. I am playing this through a Fender Cyber Deluxe too, which is a decent amp, but a tube amp would amplify this great guitar even more. Not much problems at all with the sound, just a stray tone you can't seem to get here and there. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar and couldn't wait to get home and play it. It was set up nicely at the guitar center. I didn't have to adjust the action or anything when I got home. Everything was set. They even polished it and gave it the full Dunlop care package system, so it felt even better to play. The guitar is beautiful as well. The blue with the brown celluloid pcikguard is one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen. There were no dents, scratches, or any other flaws that I have seen in the month I have had this guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems very durable. I plan on getting in a band soon and playing with this guitar and my les paul. It seems very well build. The strap buttons stay in nicely and with a good strap and some locks, this thing should never have to worry you aboout falling off. If I were doing a gig with just blues/lighter rock, I would only need to take this guitar. It seems reliable enough to get me through whatever playing I need. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect fit for me. If lost, I would replace this in a heartbeat. It plays almost exactly like an american, if not better than some, for about 400 dollars less than one. I reccomend if looking in to a Strat, play this guitar before buying an american or anything more expensive. This is a work of art and craftsmanship which is an achievement from the Fender corporation. // 10

Deluxe Players Strat Reviewed by: diceksox1809, on november 09, 2012

Features: This specific guitar was made in 1998 and is in a rare honey blonde finish that isn't made any longer. They still produce a honey blonde finish, but it is much brighter. It was made in Mexico, and has 21 frets. I believe it has a 24.5" scale, and it has jumbo frets. It has a rosewood fretboard as well. It has the Standard Fender style tremelo, and it surprisingly stays in tune very well. The Strat has 3 Vintage Noiseless Pickups which I really like, they are very quiet and produce a good tone. While many don't like these, I do. One very interesting thing about the Deluxe is that it has a 7 way Switch to use. I especially like using the bridge and neck together. It produces a very warm tone. Therefore, it is SSS. The tuners are the stock Fender Vintage tuners. They are different from ones that I have ever used, but they stay in tune well. I believe if you buy this new you get a gig bag, but I bought it used and got a HSC. If you can find a used one from '98 in good condition, jump on it. The MIM plant got some great hardware and finishes from the MIA plants, so these are a step ahead of the current Deluxes. // 9

Sound: The Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster meets my musical needs wonderfully. It gets you the great bluesy tone, sparkling cleans, and a pretty decent distorted sound. I use it with a Vox VT50, and mostly with the overdrive type settings for classic rock, and it sounds great. The guitar is not noisy at all because of the Vintage Noiseless pickups, but if I could, I would make the guitar a SSH config, with a Humbucker in the Neck position. You can get a great variety of sounds with this using all 7 of the Switch modes. This guitar sounds great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this used, but as far as I know the action wasn't changed, but it has had some minor setups. The action on it is a little high, but I dont want to tweak with it. The pickups were adjusted perfectly when I bought it used. Like I said before, this is a unique finish nowadays. From what I know, Mexico didn't have the aerosol type laws in Mexico that they have today, so the finish is much different and darker, and very gorgeous. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has gone through 3 owners, and now me, and is still perfect looking, but the hardware has tarnished a little on the bridge. The strap buttons seem to be solid, they have held up a good 12 years. One thing though when I got this was there was some bad fret buzz on the 1-4 frets on just about every string, but I did a 1/4 turn of the truss rod, and that fixed it. I could never gig without a backup, but if I didn't have another guitar, I feel I would be fine. The finish has lasted 12 years and seems to be still going strong. But then again, this is not what is used today on the Deluxes. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of Classic Rock and some Blues, and the Strat works wonderfully with it. I have been playing a solid 4 years, so I am nor a beginner, nor an expert, but from what I think, this is a solidly Built guitar and wonderful overall. If it were stolen or lost and I got the money for it again I would buy another used one around the time of mine. I love the 7 way switching, the beautiful finish, and the tone, but I'm not much a fan of rosewood Fretboards on Fenders, but it sounds and looks great as is. The pickups are very decent, but there is definitely room for improvement. Right now I can compare it to my MIM Telecaster. They are two very different guitars, but while I can get many more sounds out of this, I like the playability and sound out of my Tele a little more than this. But that should not stop you from buying this because its all my preference! The only thing I wish this had was some newer hardware, and different pickups. // 8

Purchased from: Halmen musik

Features: The price I paid for this was much because its from sweden and all is very expensive here. It started being produced 2004 in mexico. It has 21 frets, medium jumbo frets. I think the body is Asj but I'm not sure. It has 6 screw golden Fender treomolo system. It comes with the standard 5-way selector, 1 volume knob and 2 tone knobs. It has some upgraded stuff like the pickups are american made noiseless pickups. // 10

Sound: It suits my music style very well, I play blues bluesrock rock classic rock. I'm running it through my Vox AD30VT wich is also a very nice amp. It is very quiet, even at my 30 Watters full sound (loud enough to blast my ears) it doesn't hum at all. The sound is very stratty, not to bright just the right medium. It's a very versatile guitar and I'm sure you could use it for just about anything. But if you are a shredder I think maybe a Jackson guitar or something like that would suit you better. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not sure how the guitar was set up in the factory, because I bought it at a local shop and it was specially set up for me. The pickups were adjusted verygood. The guitar had no flaws whatsoever, but the pickup selector was tiny bit loose, so all I had to do was to screw the screws a 180 degress and it was as good as new. // 10

Reliability & Durability: My guitar had very nice wood, the guys Who sold it to me said it was the best wood of Fender they had ever seen. The hardware seems to last and the strapbuttons are as solid as they get. I can definatley depend on this and would gig withouth a backup, and I have gigged with it withouth a backup. The finish is not thin and doesn't wear off easy. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock classic rock bluesrock and blues and ut suits me perfect. If it was stolen id find the guy kill HIM take back my guitar, but if it was lost I couldnt afford a new one, but if I could I would buy a new one yes. I love everything about it, and its so sexy with its 3 tone sunburst and rosewood dfretboard. I compared it to the Fender mexio classic '50s, '60s and '70s Strat and it blew them out of the window. I also compared it to the Jimmie Vaughan signature Strat which was also great, and the Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster, wich I didn't like very much. It has prettey much all I could want. All my 10's are belong to this! // 10

Deluxe Players Strat Reviewed by: El Toro, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar is a great guitar in my opinion. This guitar was made in Mexico, in 2006, I believe, as it has a little coin on the bag confirming it was made on Fender's 60th Anniversary. The neck of this guitar, come in two woods, rosewood and maple. I chose the maple, and it sounds beatufil. The neck has 21 frets, all are really accesicable, and they are medium Jumbo frets. It has a 12" radius. The body wood is Ash, which does make the guitar heavier then say an Ibanez, but who cares? It gives a really bright sound. The bridge is a Vintage Style Synchronized Tremolo, which sounds great. It uses Vintage Fender Noiseless pickups, all three of which are single coil. It comes with a volume knob and two tone knobs, along with a 5-way pickup switch, and an extra button which gives you two extra pick up choices. It also comes with a Fender gig bag. The hardware of this guitar is all gold plated which gives it a very deluxe feeling. // 9

Sound: I play more blues or soft rock, then I would metal, and I must say that this guitar is perfect for playing that style. Stratocastor, as we all know, are endorsed by Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix etc. and the guitar can replicate their sounds really well. I am using a really cheap amp, and it still sounds good. The guitar is the loudest one in the world, unless you put the amp up on full belt. It does, however have a warm, bright sound, thanks to the ash body. This guitar is fully confined to blues though, it can replicate the sunds of other genres such as hard rock, and at a pushmetal, but it is best suited to the sounds of those Who endorse it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was very well put together, and fells great. I found no flaws with it at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar feels very durable. I would be willing to play it live without a back up. I think it will last me for years to come. It could fall on the floor and still keep going on and on, of course I don't recommend dropping it to test this. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is beautiful in all possible ways, sound and aesthetics. It matches my style, soft rock, blues, and the likes, perfectly. I don't really see any flaws with it, it is by far my favourite guitar of all the ones I have played, bar maybe American Strats, but if yo can afford them you wouldn't be looking at this review would you. I would defitenly be willing to get this again if it was stolen, I don't think I would chose anything else. Thanls for reading the review, I hope it informed you somewhat. // 9

Deluxe Players Strat Reviewed by: drh1589, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Larry's Music Center

Features: First: I bought this guitar used. It's had its fair share of changes the last owner routed out the space for a humbucker (put a Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge), and added a coil tap. I've dated it to either 1999 or 1990. I'm going to ask the original owner if he knows if I can get ahold of him, but. 4-ply brown shell pickguard 12" neck radius Modern C-shaped maple neck 21 medium-jumbo frets Gold-plated hardware 3 Vintage Noiseless single-coil pickups Push-button Switch activates bridge pickup in positions 4 and 5 of blade Switch for 7 pickup configurations Vintage-style synchronized tremolo Vintage-style tuners // 10

Sound: I play literally everything I can, in terms of style and instruments. This was my first strat, and it's perfect. I've gone from playing funk to dialing in the perfect EVH "brown sound." I've played clean blues, and anything I can think of. I'm mostly playing through a Line 6 Spider, with my effects running into that. The only thing I haven't tried is metal, but I've got other guitars for that. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I had the guitar set up when I got it, and I removed two of the springs from the back. Everything was fine with this guitar when I got it. It is beat up, simply because it's used. There's finish coming off the neck and body, but that's how I like my guitars! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The only problem I've had with it so far is that it went out of tune until I made my own changes to the setup. I've played it live twice since I got it, and it's never been a problem. I've replaced the strap buttons with Fender (Schaller) straplocks, not because the originals were faulty, but because I just like to have them on. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is now my main guitar. I play everything from hard rock to funk, and it works for it all. Most everybody loves it, and I would definitely replace it. The guitar feels perfect to me, it's durable, it's versatile. The only thing I'll change about it is I *might* put a Super Vee in it when I get some more money, simply because it makes it easier for me to do everything I do. With my tuning procedure, the guitar goes out of tune when I bend, which I do a lot of (it goes back in tune with a divebomb). Having a supervee would just make it easier to play like I normally do. // 10

Deluxe Players Strat Reviewed by: Dr.Jazz, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: I bought this guitar Brand New, was made in 2007 and it's from Mexico. 21 fret 12" radius neck with medium jumbo frets, Solid Ash body and I went with the Rosewood fretbaord as it looks great with my chosen finish, which is the Sapphire blue, Your Standard Strt shape with small Strat headstock and Vintage Tuners, Syncro Trem, Vintage Noiseless picks, 5 way selecter Switch, a Series paralell button, and your Standard tone and volume. I got a free Deluxe gig bag with it. // 10

Sound: I play mostly Blue and Jazz but I do dable in other forms and it covers everything I need, I play it through a Fender Blues Deluxe valve amp which gives it a nice warm tone. The Vintage Noiseless Pickups are amazing as they cut out all the mains hum like a humbucker but give you that nice bright tone of a single coil. I would say it would be all right for nearly all styles of music, I would recomend it for serious metal heads but it would get you by. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Guitar was partly set up, the whammy bar action was all ready set up but the neck relief was next to nothing. Pickups were adjusted to Fender standards but I moved them to my own personel setting, Apart from that every else was good, finish was perfect and the gold plating on the hardware looks good quailty aswell. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would be happy to use this guitar in a Live situation with a backup and the hardware looks like it will last as long as the rest of it. I would think I should be using this guitar for a long time. I can see it lasting a long time without any need for replacement parts. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said I paly mostly blues and Jazz and it fits nicely. I have been playing for about 2-3 years and I started of with a Squier Strat which was ok but it's nothing compared to this. I was going to buy the Gibson ES-137 Classic before this but it was discontinued, so I had to seek other options and when I saw this I fell in love with it from the word go. If it were Lost or stolen I would definatly replace it with another one. I love the pickups the most as they are an amazing combo. // 10

Deluxe Players Strat Reviewed by: dudeman_andy, on november 09, 2012

Features: This beautiful guitar has 21 medium-jumbo frets. The body is Ash and the necks come in either maple of rosewood. I chose the maple neck and the tranparent honey blonde finish. The neck is 12" 25.5 scale which is a really smooth neck to play on, perfect for blues and complex chords. It's a basic Strat with with upgrades. Obviously it has the 5 way pickup Switch and 2 tone 1 volume control as all strats do. The pickups are top of the line Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups with a SSS configuration. The bridge is a Vintage Style Synchronized Tremolo which allows you to both bend the pitch down or up without the need of locking tuners, it isnt as extreme as a Floyd Rose but for what's it's designed for you wouldn't want one on this guitar. The tuners are very much like bass guitar tuners, they are Reliance Vintage Style Tuning Machines which need the string to be put into the top of the tuner, then bent round and wound on. This is fiddily at first but it really does hold the strings well, I've had this guitar for a while now and I rarely have to tune it and I haven't had a single string breakage (touch wood). It came with a free set of strings of my choice as the stock strings had been on for a year, so I naturally chose Elixirs. By far the best feature of this guitar is the push button located next to the tone controls. With the push of a button the bridge pickup is activated, so this allows the neck and bridge pickup to be switched on giving the sound much to that of a Telecaster or all 3 pickups to be switched on giving a very twangy/funky sound. This guitar comes with amazing features for the price. // 8

Sound: This guitar is incredibly versatile and can play pretty much everything I want and more. I play all sorts, stuff like Jeff Buckley, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Prince, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani and the occasional heavier songs from Rage Against The Machine, Guns n Roses, Velvet Revolver etc it suits all of this perfectly and I can always get the exact tone I want just by using the tone controls and pickups, with the magical button of course. I play through a Vox AD50-VT 212 and it sounds absolutely amazing through it. You can get a really rich warm tone on the neck pickup, a bright sound on the middle pickup and a really funky tone on the brudge pickup. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was really high when I first got it but it took only 10 minutes to sort that and the intonation out. The pickups were setup fine and there wasn't a single flaw anywhere on the guitar. The factory strings also needed changing but it had been on the wall of PMT for at least a year, so it's only expected. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is percect for gigs, I could easily be used without a back up. The hardware is all very well made and can withstand all kinds of punishment, I don't know about the strap buttons because I put strap lock seals on the top of my strap the moment I got it home. It is very reliable, I've never had any problems. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for every type of music, you can do anything with it. I've been playing for about 3 years and this was my step up from a Squier and what a step up! It's amazing and I would recomend it to anyone looking for a Strat who doesn't have 1000. If anyone stole this I'd find them, congratulate them for good taste and then steal it back. I love the fact you can get any sound out of it and all the amazing features it has for it's price is amazing. // 9

Deluxe Players Strat Reviewed by: Zakkcd, on november 09, 2012

Features: I believe mine was made in 2008 in Mexico. It has a regular rosewood fretboard with the Standard 21 frets. It's a solid body made of I think Ash. Check on that though. It has 3 Noiseless pickups, some of the best. Comes with your normal 5-way, 2 tone knobs, 1 volume knob, plus a small button between the tone knobs that turns on the bridge pickup so you can use all 3 pickups at once. The bridge is Vintage trem. Floyd Rose would be nice but can't have everything. // 9

Sound: Oh god. This is where the magic happens. This guitar was made to be versatile, and to be an everymans guitar. The bridge pickup is, well, hot, the neck pickup is chunkier, and the middle PU I don't really use. I use it with a Fender 65R amp and on clean it sounds kind of twangy really. Then on distortion... ohh. You get the picture. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory, the guitar is not set up that well. The action was too high for me, but most of that's personal preference. I now have it set with a very low action, and there is still no buzz. The PUs are set just the right height from the factory though, so good to go there. The finish was outstanding; I got the trans. blue, so I haven't really seen the others, but the hardware and everything else was flawless. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes, this guitar will withstand live shows. Yes, I would go to a normal gig without a backup. Would I take it on tour without another? No. I just don't trust any single piece of wood and metal on it's own for that, no matter how solid. The finish seems like it will last plenty long enough, and the "gold" hardware feels plenty tough. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar, being as it is that I like to play all sorts of music, is perfect for me. I have been playing seriously for just over 18 months, so look at other reviews, but I love it and would recommend it to... anyone. The PU button is kind of silly, but it's cool to have. Other than that, just about the perfect mid-priced guitar. // 10

Deluxe Players Strat Reviewed by: Juared, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Don's Music Land

Features: Mine's a 1999 model, 21 medium jumbo maple frets and neck. The neck's thin as a Strat should be but it seems too thin for me. I'm only 14 but my fingers are really long so a compound-radius neck would be good for me. It has an ash body and a maple neck. Mine's finish is a transparent red, it's really nice looking. It has the usual two cutaways and contours on the armrest and by your stomach. If I recall correctly it has 3 Vintage noiseless (I don't know if they were called that in 1999, they look different than today's Vintage noiselesses.) pickups, with 7-way switching. It has the traditional Stratocaster 5-way switching but in between the two tone knobs is a little white button that activates the bridge pickup when the neck pickup is in use. The tuners are non-locking, Vintage Fender tuners, the kind that you stick the end of the string in the top of and pinch it down. I prefer this kind over the newer tuners mainly because it's cleaner looking and doesn't require a special sort of twisting of the end of the string, but I may just be lazy. It has gold hardware, but the gold finish has worn down a considerable amount in 11 years, which is annoying because it's a little bit ugly now. The bag that came with it works, but over time the zipper will continually catch on the inner material and rip it, which happened with mine. I'm buying a new Fender molded case for it. It's also made in Mexico, which I don't mind because quite frankly, I can hardly tell the difference between Mexican and American. // 9

Sound: As a Strat, and like many other Strats, it provides probably more sounds than any other guitar can. I play anywhere from grunge to bluesy to straight-up rock and it handles it pretty well. I've run it through a Line 6 Spider IV (which I'm not particularly fond of), an old Fender Champ Amp, and an old MusicMan amp too. It handles all of those pretty well. If you face the amp while it's loud it can and possibly will make noise if you're standing too close, but for anyone gigging it probably won't be a problem. My only other complaint is that the switcher's a bit noisy. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I wasn't the original owner, it was originally my sister's but she never played it so she gave it to me, so I don't know how the action was. It's a heavy guitar. My friend's Epiphone Special II is lighter than it, but that might have something to do with the fact that his is a stripped-down Les Paul. Either way, everyone who's played it and has experience with guitars notices right away that it's heavy. The pickups were never adjusted, although they were a bit low for my tastes so I raised them. Everything was fit in place, nothing loose, the nut's not sharp, although the pickup selector is slightly noisy. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged with this once or twice and it's held up very well. I broke a string but that has nothing (to my knowledge) to do with the guitar, as the strings were two months old anyways. The strap buttons are strong, although to be safe I'll probably get actual strap locks. The finish on the hardware has faded over time but it's nothing that I care for too much. The finish is really good-looking, although it seems a little bit thin. I'm not an intense player so I won't be wearing it down to those ugly "heavy relic" guitars any time soon. I treat it fairly though, so I don't know how well it will actually hold up to heavy playing. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar matches pretty much any style of music I play. I don't play metal very often though; I doubt it will handle that the greatest. When I first became conscious of what a good guitar looks like, I instantly loved the finish. I got it for free (basically) so there's nothing I can really complain about. If it were stolen, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one. I love the finish and gold hardware most, and the 7-way switching is a very noteworthy feature. There's nothing I would change about it. // 9

Deluxe Players Strat Reviewed by: Duncas, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Gumtree

Features: Mine is a 2007 model I believe in Sunburst with a tortoishell pickguard, its a looker that's for sure. 21 medium jumbo frets with a 12" radius, which is unusual on a Fender Strat. Polyurethane laquer, the grain of the wood comes through nicely. Its got a Vintage Synchronised tremelo, S1 switching system, basically when the button is pressed the Bridge pickup is added into the circuitry with the neck and neck/mid settings. Neck and Bridge sounds abit Telecaster like too. These are not to be mistaken for active electronics. Pickups themselves are Vintage Noiseless, humcancelling Vintage voiced pickups, not actually that great. You don't get the Vintage ring or the roar of a humbucker. I bought mine with the usual deluxe soft case, case candy and a 10ft koil cable. // 8

Sound: Very quiet guitar, I haven't given it a full set up yet so the pickups are factory stock height. They are quite low. Put directly through Tuner-Wah-EHX big muff pi (bass)-Visual sounds Route 808-'69 master lead combo (Marshall) can go from SRV blues (my style) to actually quite a good metal/hard rock tone. It is very quiet due to the noiseless pickups. Due to the S1 system (I believe its S1?) it can create a multitude of sounds but position 2, 4 are very quiet compared to single pickup switches. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is great, quite low without buzzing. Pickups were very low which wasn't so good. The intonation is a problem but I fixed that now. The hardware is gold coloured and high quality although locking tuners would be a good investment. The Neck joint is solid and Bridge dosent wobble about, the solder is good under the hood and the components are good quality, also 500K and 250K mixture of pots. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm very sure this will withstand live playing, I always take my Telecaster along though (that can withstand nuclear war) the hardware would cope. I need to still get locking tuners and locking strap locks. I never gig without a backup guitar but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't need it. The finish is polyurethane ad very well applied so its staying while longer that's for sure. // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues and classic rock, it is a pretty good match to that. Sounds solid in the mix for rhythm although for leads a wah is needed as it dosent quite cut it. Iv been playing for nearly 4 years and I use a Les Paul and a Telecaster usually but now I more frequntely use the Strat and Tele live. I love the colour and the quack it gives under a little overdrive, also that at the touch of a button the sound changes. My favourite feature is the switching system and gold hardware. I wish it had either powerful single coils or weak humbuckers I don't like the Vintage noiseless pickups it has. If it was stolen I would buy a different guitar maybe a PRS SE or a Epiphone Dot. But I would also probably cry. // 9

Purchased from: Zzounds.com

Features: Blue 2011 mim 4-ply brown shell pickguard 12" neck radius Modern C-shaped maple neck 21 medium-jumbo frets Gold-plated hardware 3 Vintage Noiseless single-coil pickups Push-button switch activates bridge pickup in positions 4 and 5 of blade switch for 7 pickup configurations Vintage-style synchronized tremolo Vintage-style tuners // 10

Sound: Sound is flawless I have had my 2011 Deluxe Players Strat for about 6 months now. I am amazed at how well it plays, and sounds. Mine is the maple neck version blue with gold hardware. An incredible deal for the money and worth every peny. The best part of it is the payment plan Zzounds.com has that I used to get it. The old try it before you buy plan had me sold after the first 5 minutes. I want one in every color now. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Again flawless. The way it came is the way I am playing it. It came ready to go from the jump ! I have had my 2011 Deluxe Players Strat for about 6 months now. I am amazed at how well it plays, and sounds. Mine is the maple neck version blue with gold hardware. An incredible deal for the money and worth every peny. The best part of it is the payment plan Zzounds.com has that I used to get it. The old try it before you buy plan had me sold after the first 5 minutes. I want one in every color now. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This one os a keeper and I plan on playing it plenty and lasting for quite a while I have had my 2011 Deluxe Players Strat for about 6 months now. I am amazed at how well it plays, and sounds. Mine is the maple neck version blue with gold hardware. An incredible deal for the money and worth every peny. The best part of it is the payment plan Zzounds.com has that I used to get it. The old try it before you buy plan had me sold after the first 5 minutes. I want one in every color now. // 10

Overall Impression: I have had my 2011 Deluxe Players Strat for about 6 months now. I am amazed at how well it plays, and sounds. Mine is the maple neck version blue with gold hardware. An incredible deal for the money and worth every peny. The best part of it is the payment plan Zzounds.com has that I used to get it. The old try it before you buy plan had me sold after the first 5 minutes. I want one in every color now. // 10

Price paid: C$ 649

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: Pros: Fantastic value from Fender. Gold plated hardware, beautiful ash body, Vintage noiseless pickups (same pickups used in the Signature Eric Clapton Strat), 7 position pickup switching (including tele-style neck/bridge or all 3 pups on), plays like a dream with classic Strat tones and excellent sensitivity to player's touch. Mine has a one piece ash body with crimson translucent finish - amazing ash wood patterns! Beautiful neck with no individual frets buzzing and no neck warp at all. // 10

Sound: This guitar can easily cop clean tones of SRV and Hendrix. - very Vintage sounding sweet low output pickups. No buzzing on the pickups is a nice bonus. The 7 way pickup selection is amazing - all 3 pickups together sounds very acoustic, while the neck/bridge position is a crisp new sound great for funk chords and sweet arpeggios. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Great setup of frets, fretboard, and alignment. Mine had sharp fret ends which the store if fixing tomorrow. The whammy bar hole was also drilled a couple mm off. Both minor issues that are fixable by the shop I bought it at. The nut needs to be sanded to avoid string catching as well. All quickly fixable issues. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Most of the hardware is standard American hardware (the gold hardware incl bridge and tuners are Standard American), the pickups are also made in America. This means generally more reliable quality. No need to replace those parts unless you have a specific reason to do so. This is a quality Strat. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is recommended for supremo clean tones and is not recommended for modern distorted tones - the low output pickups excel at clean Vintage tones, not in high gain/high output distorted tones. The 12" radius fretboard is a feature of this guitar (same radius that Gibson guitars use) so it's great for those who want that. This guitar is really Fender's best kept secret for value and high quality. My first Strat and it's really endearing as I'm spending time adjusting (the pickup height, saddle height and truss rod) it to my touch - it's very adjustable to customise to your exact touch and sound. Thank you Fender! // 10

Deluxe Players Strat Reviewed by: DJ Dunzie, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 599

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: Made in Mexico as part of the Deluxe Stratocaster series, with some upgraded and even US parts so it functions as a higher-end Mexican Fender then the typical Standard. The pickups are Vintage noiseless variety, and the guitar features a 12" radius, 21 medium-jumbo frets and 25.5" C-shape satin neck on a very nicely finished Ash Strat body. Mine is a 3-colour sunburst with a rosewood fretboard. Electronics include the fairly typical 5-way switching, master volume and 2 tone knobs, with a push-button S1 switch for extra pickup selection options. Toss in a Vintage style tremolo arm, gold hardware, and a deluxe (upgraded from the Mexican Standard ones I've owned) gig bag. All in all, a really nice mix of parts and some unique features at the price point (pickups, 12" radius and S1 switch for instance). At $599, I really have to give this full credits here... But I'm still going to dock one anyway because it would've sold the deal completely with 22 frets for my tastes. // 9

Sound: I play a little of everything, perhaps mainly classic rock, country and blues, and am VERY familiar with Strat sounds, having owned quite a few over 25+ years of playing. This one was my first foree into noiseless pickups and I was skeptical. Even after playing the guitar for a few hours, I wasn't sure how to react. You notice they're different from US or Mexican standard pickups even on clean settings. Maybe the attack isn't quite as instant, but it still is capable of the classic Strat tones I'm used to. Throw a little dirt to the sound and you start to see where these pickups can give you some new options. I would describe the tone range as being capable of slightly deeper and warmer natural tones than my US or Mexican Standards, but not totally foreign. The guitar still sounds terrific clean, with a little compressor and/or chorus, but with less buzz and hum when the gain or distortion settings go up. I think most Strat players will enjoy that part of this guitar, and it makes a great option to my other Strats. I'm guessing humbucker-accustomed players would also find this an easier transition into a Strat. The S1 doesn't provide quite the change I maybe unfairly expected, but you can still feel the extra grunt to some lesser extent. At the end of the day, a very versatile guitar that handles a lot of everything remarkably well, and a nice compliment even if you own different Strats. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I'll start off by saying that I love the looks of the gold hardware and question why Fender doesn't utilize it in more lines. Particularly with the sunburst finish, it really sets the guitar apart from others that would otherwise be hard to distinguish. The fit and finish on this guitar in general is very good, honestly better than previous Mexican built Strats I've owned and played. Specifically, the woodgrain on this particular specimen is absolutely fantastic - I believe I got pretty lucky here (check my photos). The fret edges - while not up to the really fine level of my American Standard - are surprisingly good. Out of the box, this guitar was very playable, with the only minor complaint I have being that it was set up slightly higher than I'm used to. Easily fixable, and Long & McQuade offer free setup to taste as most reputable stores will. Really, not a lot to complain about. There are no issues with the hardware installs, excess urethane, or electrical gremlins. Everything plays very nicely right out of the box. The factory-installed Bullets didn't stretch excessively and tuning was as good as you'd expect. Controls are smooth and reliable. Mexican Strats are sometimes hit and miss in my experience for out-of-the-box setup, but this one gave me no concerns. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've heard some speak of the gold hardware oxidizing or fading somewhat over time, but I'll be my own judge of that over the years. I've owned enough Strats of various price points and builds to know that in general they're outstanding in terms of reliability and durability at each price point. This one has the nicest balance of fit, finish, and component quality I've seen from a Mexican machine. I'm an old dog, and I tend to keep good care of my guitars, making mistakes in handling into my own road wear over the years. They generally hold up to this kind of care very well, and I have no reason to expect this one will be no different. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm completely impressed with this guitar for $599. For a pittance more than a Standard Mexican, you're adding much nicer pickups, some nicer hardware, S1 switching, a different neck, and a unique look. The key feature for me though has to be the pickups, which make this guitar stand out from the rest of the Strats I own. I've switched out the tortoise shell guard for a standard white item - everyone's tastes will be different here, but to me it just "fits" better. Otherwise, I intend to keep this guitar as is as long as it'll hold up for me. The 12" radius neck is different if you're used to the usual 9.5" job, but not so different you can't reasonably switch back and forth. Personally, while my US Standard is a maple neck and 9.5", I like having some variations in gear like this. You do notice it being somewhat flatter, but you won't need to completely retrain your brain the way some might have you believe. If you're after bang for the buck in the Fender lineup, this one might be right up your alley. Nice work Fender. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jazzmaster - Lee Ranaldo Signature 8.6 Electric Guitars 12/19/2014