Deluxe Roadhouse Stratocaster Review

reviews (3) pictures (3) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Deluxe Roadhouse Stratocaster Reviewed by: DarkValo666, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 598

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: This is the MIM Fender Roadhouse Strat, which - according to its serial number - was made in '07 or '08 in Mexico. It features an alder body with a maple neck and fretboard, on which you can find 21 medium jumbo frets. It also features a tortoise shell pickguard, which looks absolutely stunning along with the neck and the black finish. There are two tone knobs, one volume knob and a Fender Vintage Tremolo bridge. The pickups are Texas Special single coils, which are selected by operating a 5-way-switch. As you can see, there's nothing really new in the world of Fender - but never change a winning team, eh? The tuners are myde by Fender themselves, and they do their job great, as the guitar barely goes out of tune (unless you want to imitate good old Dimebag with the tremolo - but you should think twice about that anyway!). In addition to the guitar itself, Fender gives you a gig bag and some tools. The zippers are not of the best quality, as one broke the first time I touched it. The tools seem to be okay though. // 9

Sound: Actually, somewhat earlier in 2010 I wouldn't have considered getting a strat, as I usually play metal and modern rock, so I looked into Gibson and ESP/LTD. Nevertheless, I tried this one and fell in love with it at once. The playability is absolutely terrific and the pickups sounded great as well (I do love my Clapton and SRV from time to time). But as I said, I need some hotter pickups, so I installed a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail with a coil split in the bridge, and now it's the perfect guitar for me. I can play everything I want to, ranging from Clapton and SRV to stuff like Poisonblack and Godsmack, which is about the heaviest tone I go for as a player. Of course, I really tried the stock pickups before I changed the one. The Bridge pickup sounded a little to harsh for my likings, whereas the other two pickups sound great in any combination, very warm and thick. This is the special thing about the Texas Specials, they tend to have this thick, warm and kinda muddy sound, very great for blues and Indie rock. I'm using it with a Fender FM212R, which obviously isn't the greatest amp in the world. I do add some pedals for real distortion, but for bluesy stuff I just dial in the gain at 3 and it's great. I'm in need for a better amp to do this guitar justice though, and I know that. It's just the money, you know? I actually was surprised how quiet it is. I never owned a guitar with single coils before, but the ones I played were quite noisy. This one does produce a little buzzing and humming, but nothing to worry about. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very nicely. I had to adjust the pickups a little, but that's just personal preference, I can't blame anybody for that and I won't, at last it's what those little screws are for. The action is fine, so is the tremolo. I probably will have to adjust it a little, as I usually play with .010s (this comes with .009s). There's only one flaw to complain about: the volume knob. It was a little loose and I had to fix that. It would have bothered me more if this was a MIA Strat, though. Maybe I'm too generous? // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm convinced that this guitar would survive any concert I'm taking it to. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to actually gig with it, but I did a public live recording with it, which saw some stage action (I even accidentally stepped on it...), and there's not a single ding or flaw. I'd always take a backup, though. The hardware seems to last, altough I'll probably change the strap buttons to security locks once I start gigging again. I don't want my lady to fall on the floor (and some idiot to step on it!). // 8

Overall Impression: Playing for 5 years, this is my first quality guitar. I really love it for what I do and would recommend everybody who is searching for an all-in-one device suitable for every purpose to get one (and probably mod it like I did), as it will turn out to be the most versatile thing you'll be able to get. Of course, you have to take it's price into consideration. I'd never prefer this one over a PRS or similar guitars, but for under 600 you get a guitar which is more than worth the money. And be honest, it just looks awesome as well! // 8

Deluxe Roadhouse Stratocaster Reviewed by: SierraRC42, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar

Features: Made in Mexico 2010 with 21 medium-jumbo frets on a thick maple neck. The scratchplate is really cool and goes with the gloss white paint really nicely. The tremolo bridge is good, and the tuners are really good, so you don't need to tune more than once a day. The Texas Special mid and neck pickups are fantastic. No hum or feedback, but with that great Fender sound. The guitar came with a fairly crappy gig bag which I don't use. // 10

Sound: I like classic rock, grunge and alternative rock. I play alot of Led Zep, Red Hot Chili Peppers etc. The guitar is exceptional for clean, bright sounds just like you would expect in a Fender, but the bridge pickup, which is not a Texas Special like the others, is not outstanding when you play fuzzy, fast riffs like "Whole Lotta Love" where it sounds too light. There is very little noise from any of the pickups though. There are a huge range of sounds you can get from the guitar though. Chords sound superb as do solos, even on the bridge pickup with lots of fuzz. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was really well set up at the factory. Pick up and play. The action was perfect. Easy to play while not so low that there is constant fret buzz. The only adjustment I made was to flatten the bridge off so you don't change the pitch by resting your hand on it. One day, I think I will change the bridge pick up one day, but there is no rush. Te pickups were set really well, no noisy strings etc. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is great live, easy to play with a strap and good looking and eye catching. The strap buttons are very tight and reliable, and it's perfectly balanced. I wouldn't think twice about using it with no backup. The finish is good, the paint is thick and evenly applied. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, there are no complaints really. I play it through a Fender Blues Junior which is also fantastic, and I have a Boss ME-70 multi effects which has a Single-Coil to Humbucker mode which means anything played on a Les Paul can be covered nicely with this guitar. In my opinion, this sounds basically as good as an American Standard Strat which is alot more money, for nothing any better so this guitar is fantastic value for money. Highly recommended. // 10

Deluxe Roadhouse Stratocaster Reviewed by: ml123, on november 09, 2012

Features: The Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Stratocaster was made in Mexico. It comes fitted with Texas pickups and has 21 accessible frets. The fretboard radius of the guitar is 9.5" (24.1cm). The fretboard and neck of the guitar are both made out of maple with a finish of satin urethane. The body is made out of alder. The scale length of the instrument is 25.5" (64.8cm). The controls given include: 1 volume knob, 2 tone knobs and a 5 way pickup selector. It has a Standard 4 bolt neck plate, a modern "C" shape neck and black Dot position inlays. A free gig bag was sent with the guitar. // 8

Sound: The Roadhouse Stratocaster is especially good for blues and some types of rock. I use a Marshall MG30 FX amplifier or a Squier SP.10 when I am practicing with the guitar. I sometimes use the Marshall amp's built in delay, reverb, chorus, flanger and phaser when playing. Most of the time I use a Vox classic Wah Wah pedal to get the best tone out of the instrument. The Stratocaster sounds best when it is on the neck pickup and the bass and tone are turned to almost zero. The Fender has a very distinctive sound that separates it from most of the other strats around. I personally think that the Deluxe Roadhouse Stratocaster is a brilliant guitar and is definitely worth buying if you are interested in blues. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very well at the factory. The action of the guitar is low which is what I wanted so I can play reasonably fast riffs and licks whilst using the guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The hardware of the guitar seems like it will last fairly long. The finish of the Fender seems like it will last for quite a few years without wearing away a lot. I am able to depend on this guitar and I would use it in a gig without a backup and although one of the strap buttons on the guitar seems to be slightly faulty it should last for a good amount of time before needing strap locks. // 9

Overall Impression: If this guitar was broken or stolen I would definitely buy it again before getting another guitar. My favorite feature of the guitar is probably the color of it because the Orange sunburst goes well with the dark red. If I had to compare this guitar with my BC Rich Mockingbird Masterpiece my Fender would win by far. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Kurt Cobain Jaguar 8.6 Electric Guitars 06/20/2014