Deluxe Stratocaster SSS Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Deluxe Stratocaster SSS
review (1) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Deluxe Stratocaster SSS Reviewed by: Dirty_Civilian, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar was made in 2007 in the U.S.A. It has a 22 fret solid Maple Neck and fretboard, V-Neck shape and Jumbo Fretsm, it also has locking strap buttons. The body is made from 3 different Alder slabs, and is coated in a two burst finish. It has a 2 point bridge with individually adjustable string saddles. It has 3 passive SCN pickups, so even at high volume it won't hum annoyingly. It has one Volume and two Tones, and a 5-way blade Switch. It also features the relatively new S-1 Switch, which allows you to connect the pickups in series, giving it a more humbucker sound. It has Fender Locking Tuners and it came with a hard case, and lots of different allen keys. // 8

Sound: This guitar is one of the most versatile guitars I've played. You are able to get a thicker humbucker sound out of the Single Coil pick ups by engaging the S-1 Switch located on the volume knob, all very discreet. I've been using it with my Orange Tiny Terror Combo amp, and I can get tons and tons of tones out of it. Even though you can get a humbucker like sound out of this, I wouldn't recommend playing metal on this, because it will still have that bouncy, bright sound a the Fender Stratocaster is renowned for. This guitars real was almost meant for rhythm and quick little licks on a clean setting. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where this guitar falls short. I've never been able to get rid of the fret buzz with this guitar. It wasn't noticeable when I first bought it. After a couple days thought I noticed tons of buzz. I figured it was just it adjusting to the climate, so I took it to my tech and he couldn't figure it out either. It wasn't coming through on the amp, so I kept it anyways because I loved the feel of it. The pick ups are great on this thing, and I would recommend them to anyone looking for new Fender pick ups, that being said the soldering job inside came loose on the neck pick up, so I didn't have any sound from it for a time. The bridge itself had nothing wrong with it, I would push the bar down as far as I could and it would always go back in pitch - odd for non locking trem. One of the tone knobs sticks at the 10 position, which won't do for rolling off the tone in a Live situation. I've also been having trouble with the strings vibrating behind the nut, because the nut wore down after I detuned it for a set of songs. I will be replacing it shortly. // 3

Reliability & Durability: The guitar itself was a solid piece of equipment, and I know it will stand up to any punishment I give out. The hardware seems solid enough as well. The strap buttons are great, since they are able to lock around the strap. I would definitely take a back up if I were to go gigging, knowing this thing has given me tons of trouble in the past. The finish is definitely reliable; I haven't dented or scratched it yet, and it looks gorgeous. // 6

Overall Impression: I play a lot of classic rock, and this guitar suit's it fine. I've only been playing for about 3 years, but I know what I like and I don't. Over the time though I've accumulated some Orange amps, a Line 6 Spider III, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Crybaby Wah and some other effect pedals I don't usually use. If this were lost I'd probably look for something else that isn't a Fender, just because of the bad experience I've had with this one. I love the look and tone of this guitar, and how it stays in tune when I use the vibrato heavily, but other than that the guitar has pretty much gotten on my last nerves. One cool feature though is the S-1 Switch, which gives you tons of versatility. I compared this with other strats when I bought this, and at the time, I thought it would turn out to be a good guitar, and it probably will be one day after I mod and swap out all the bit's and pieces that seem to be malfunctioning on it. // 6

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Mustang V (V.2) 9.4 Guitar Amplifiers 12/22/2014