Duo Sonic Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Duo Sonic
21 frets. Laminated top. One volume, one tone pot. Two single coil pickups. Maple neck and body with rosewood fretboard.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 7.8
 9.2
 6.4
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Duo Sonic Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: A Vintage 1965 Duo Sonic, made right here in the United States. 21 frets with a laminated top. One volume and one tone pot with a small two way selector between the volume and tone pots. Also featured with "Jaguar-like" three way switchers (two of them). Two single coil pickups, the bridge pickup featuring a nifty black cover. Most likely stock Mustang pickups, both of them passive. Maple neck and body with a big 70s style headstock and a rosewood fretboard. A really really cool dark blue sparkle finish. The body is exactly like a Fender Mustang, including the pickguard. Non-locking tuners from Kluson, which tend to be sporadic, the only downfall. A rather fat neck with really small frets. It came with a beautiful Vintage 65 case. // 10

Sound: This guitar is amazing for virtually any style of music, which is exactly how I play. I've played some sweet, warm blues/jazz, some really bright funk, some muted metal and hard rock and some twangy southern rock along with some punk (not Blink though, Ramones and Misfits). It sounded great with all of them and this is just playing it through my Fender Champion (30 watts) with a little of the built in reverb. It can either be incredibly loud and buzzy or muted and dull. As I said, it can acess a number of sounds just by messing with the selectors a few times. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the volume and tone pots are a little loose. But nothing else. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: From what I can tell this guitar was put together very well and retains those qualities almost 40 years later. The action's high and the pickups are set up incredibly well. The bridge, top and everything else is great. Only a few dents, nicks, and scratches. It looks like it wore very well even after 40 years of use. The finish is thick, no rusting although the tuners are a little oxidized. The volume and tone pots are a little loose and the tuners tend to be a little loose every once in awhile when I bend too hard but no other real flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar probably has and will continue to face the rigor of gigs. The hardware and the finish are going to be around forever, and the strap buttons work very well. I'm sure I'll be able to depend on it, but I'd never play without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I gotta say, out of all the guitars I've ever played (including my Strat, a Les Paul, SG and more) it's the nicest, smoothest, most lovely guitar I've ever played. It was amazing deal for $349 and I would go absolutely crazy if it was ever stolen. I would try to replace it but I don't think I could. It's a very one of a kind guitar and it's near perfect. // 10

Duo Sonic Reviewed by: KurdtStaley, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: used of CL

Features: I purchased the MiM version that was produced in the early nineties. This guitar is pretty basic. It's got a master tone and volume. It has two hot single coil pick ups. It has a three was selector which is Gibson style rather than your typical Fender switch. The guitar has a 3/4 scale Maple neck with 21 frets. It also has a Mustang style body, but it's not as thick as a normal Fender guitar body. It's not too versatile of a guitar, but I bought it mainly for the neck so that doesn't really matter. // 6

Sound: Personally I just love Fender guitars. I love the Fender sound. All but one of my guitars have single coils, none of them are noisy, but I don't play at too high of volumes. This guitar has hot pickups that deliver a nice bluesy tone from the bridge. Because of the short scale it sounds much thicker than similar guitars. Even though it has a smaller than normal body it has a very full tone, especially from the neck pick up. It has the most thick/full sound I've ever heard from single coils. Again, this guitar is not versatile, but what it does, it does well. The bridge is good for leads, the neck is great for rhythm. I mainly play rhythm and sing so it suits my needs well. I would give the sound a higher rating if it didn't lack versatility, because as I said it has a great tone. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well I got this guitar used and it was 15 years old so I can't comment on the factory set up. The finish was still intact with no nicks or scratches. It's plain black which I'm not too into but it's not worn or anything. I can say mine has a nice low action, the lowest of any MiM Fender I've played, and has no fret buzz. The pickups are placed fine. My G string is getting the most minor buzz from the bridge or saddle not sure which but hopefully I'll fix that next time I restring, it doesn't really occur unless I'm playing chords and playing hard so it's not really a big issue. The neck is great, it's the main reason I bought the guitar and there was really no fret ware at all. Very smooth neck. I have real skinny fingers so the short scale suits me well. Since I bought this I've been scouring the internet trying to find other 3/4 scale necks so I can put them on other guitars. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is 15 years old, completely stock, and everything functions properly. The finish is still pristine. I'd have to say it's a very durable guitar. Everything on it is solid. I'd feel confident playing it without a back up but never would since I have quite a few other guitars. // 10

Overall Impression: I like this guitar a lot, mainly for practice though. I play some songs on it, but the main thing I do with it is practice unplugged. I like how it's light and has a small neck. I've found this has improved the accuracy of my fretting hand quite a lot. When I pick up a full size guitar the frets feel so easy to hit, they're all so big in comparison. If this were lost/stolen I probably wouldn't replace it since I'd have to get the Squire model for like $300 which is a rip off in comparison to the deal I got on this. I love the neck though. If you have small hands or skinny fingers the neck is just a dream. I'm not going to comment on things like "anything you wish it had" because you gotta take the good with the bad and I wouldn't want this guitar any other way. It's silly to even think of it being something else. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 08/01/2014