Fat Strat Texas Special Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Fat Strat Texas Special
The American Fat Strat Texas Special comes equipped with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Plus humbucker in the bridge position and two custom staggered Texas Special single-coils in the neck and middle.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Features: 9.5
 8.9
 8.9
 8.8
reviews (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Fat Strat Texas Special Reviewed by: Ian_Milton, on november 09, 2012

Features: This beauty was made in the U.S and is an absolute blues machine. It is part of the 'Hot Rodded Series' which can be found via this link.It's got 22 medium frets and a one-piece maple bolt-on neck. It comes with an option of either a maple or rosewood fingerboard, mine has rosewood and it suits me well. The body is made from 'Non veneered alder or ash' because I bought mine second hand i'm not sure which mine is unfortunetly. The bridge is a '2-point synchronized tremolo with stainless saddles', and stays in tune very well, no complaints here at all. It has the standard 2 tone pots and 1 volume pot that appears on most Fender strats. The pickguard on mine is white shell, and looks awesome. The tuners are 'Deluxe staggered cast/sealed' and aren't locking but they get the job done nicely, and they look great to as well. Its got one Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Plus Humbucker at the bridge and 2 custom staggered Texas Specials in the middle and neck positions. It came with a Hard shell case, cable, strap, straplocks, polishing cloth; truss rod adjustment wrench and a saddle height adjustment wrench. Also it came with Fender Super Bullet strings, which unfortunetly I never got to play but i've heard good things. I use the Ernie Ball 'Skinny Top, Heavy bottom' (10 13 17 30 42 52) strings and they really suit my playing. // 9

Sound: As I said, this guitar is a blues guitar machine with a lot of soul, I highly recommend this for blues guitarists. But it also handles rock and metal very well as well, thanks to the seymour duncan Bridge humbucker, which is very fat. The pickups make this guitar so very versatile that there really isn't much it can't do, although I wouldn't recommend this for shredding. It can sound jazzy, funky, rocky, bluesy, whilst being able to handle serious distortion if you want as well. The clean tone is absolutely amazing, and playing it through my Fender Deluxe 90 amp - its really clear - can't fault the clean tone here. I also use a Boss 0S-2 Distortion/Overdrive pedal and a Boss PH-3 Phaser, both work excellent with the guitar. The single coil pickups are slightly noisy in certain places, but that's almost always the case with single coils, it doesn't bother me. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I purchased the guitar, it was set up perfectly, with nice low action. I'm not sure if this was factory set up though, or it was set up by the previous owner. The pickups were also perfectly adjusted when I purchased it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the guitar when I purchased it, however I will give it an 8, because I am not sure whether the previous owner fixed it up before selling it to me. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood live playing very well, and I feel it will for a very long time as well. The hardware is very well fitted and constructed and gives me a very positive feeling that it will last for years and years to come. The strap buttons are completely solid, and I will completely depend on this guitar - however I am the sort of person not to take chances, so I will always have a backup guitar with me, just in case. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a very wide range of music, jazz, classic rock, blues, reggae, psychadelia, funk, occasionally metal, grunge, alternative rock, Indie, even a little country from time to time, but this guitar handles all the mentioned genres excellently, its versatility is its best feature. I've been playing just over 2 years, I own a Yamaha Pacifica, and I have owned a PRS Santana SE, however this guitar completely out plays both of them. If this guitar was stolen, I would definetly purchase it again, for me no other guitar suits me better. I don't hate anything about this guitar, if there was anything I would change it would be the colour, but even that I like, its candy apple red, I probably would've purchased it in white if I was to buy it new. When buying it I compared it to many, many guitars, including the Epiphone les pauls, the budget PRS series, some Ibanez's under 500, and other fenders, including a Nashville Telecaster, and a Japanese Jazzmaster, the versatility of this guitar is what made me buy it, absolutely no regrets. I highly recommend this guitar! // 9

Fat Strat Texas Special Reviewed by: Dan299, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: This is the Mexico made Fat Strat, with 21 frets, and a solid top. The neck is a lovely maple, and the guitar is finished with a green sparkle finish. The classic Strat body with the extra classic fat Strat humbucker as well as the classic single coils. The guitar came with one volume control and two tone knobs, also with a three-way selector. It came with a Tele/Strat gigbag. Came with a classic Strat tremolo bar. // 10

Sound: The thing about this guitar, is that it is extremely versatile. It plays everything. I mainly play punk - Green Day - and a bit of funk and surf. It does both reasonably well. The only problem for me is that because it is so versatile it sounds average on everything, it doesn't have a specific character, just the Fat Strat, which millions of people copy every day. It doesn't play anything amazingly well. I run it through a Fender Blues Jnr amp with a Boss ME-50. Personally I think this is a great guitar for beginners who want to find their style, I've found my style, and I'm thinking about a more specialized guitar (American Vintage '62 Jazzmaster). I will always keep this guitar, though. My first ever guitar, and as the years go by, it just gets better! And worth more money! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: THIS GUITAR WAS ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS. Everything was finished perfectly, no scratches. This guitar has never failed to please me with how it works, the finish, bridge, pickups etc. BRILLIANT. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is ridiculously reliable. To gigs I've never taken a backup (I know it's a bit risky) but this guitar has never let me down. The strap buttons are reasonably good, but being a Mexican Strat it is prone to falling off, but the solution to that is to buy special lock-on strap buttons so the strap won't fall off. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this is a reasonably good match for my style, but needs more varied sounds. I do not recommend this if you are an experienced guitarist with specific taste. This used to be my dad's when he first started playing but now he has the deluxe American Fat Strat and a lovely Rickenbacker. I started playing when I was about 7, so about 4 years I've been playing for. If this guitar was lost I would be really unhappy (your first guitar is a bond for life), but I wouldn't buy it again because it wouldn't be as special as my first one. I will keep this guitar as long as I live. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014