Highway 1 Telecaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Highway 1 Telecaster
Alder Body. Maple, Modern ?C? Shape Neck. Rosewood or Maple Fingerboard. 22 Medium Jumbo Frets. 2 Standard Vintage Style Single-Coil Tele Pickups. Master Volume, Master Tone Controls. Chrome Hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.8
 Features: 9.2
 9.1
 9.7
 8.4
reviews (14) pictures (3) 24 comments vote for this gear:

Purchased from: Peeler Music

Features: American, newly made, 22 frets, solid top with stunning sunburst finish. Normal Tele-style bridge, 3 way selector, volume and tone selector. While this guitar may not have the most features of other models, it still very adequately gets the job done. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of classic/indie rock, and it perfectly suites the job. Tons of sound can be made from this, especially when matched with a good amp. But even on small practice amps, the guitar sounds excellent. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was superbly made. Absolutely no scratches, chips in the body, loose controls, bad tuners, etc. The action was also perfect for my taste right from the start: I never had to adjust it. Pickups were also great and they sounded better than the regular standard Tele's. The finish is also spectacular (I have the sunburst finish). // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is solid. It is definetly well made and will last a very long time. I doubt the finish will wear off at all; it is awesome. I would definetly play a gig without a backup. I have yet to break a string on it (and I use super light gauge strings), even during hard and loud playing. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar definetly matches my style of music (70's classic rock, Indie). I have been a Gibson/Epiphone guy for a long time, but I recently became interested in Fender. I can honestly tell you, they definetly hit the mark with the Highway 1 Telecaster. If it were stolen/lost, I would definetly buy it again if I was able to financially afford it. I love everything about this guitar. // 10

Highway 1 Telecaster Reviewed by: Tok, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: George's Music

Sound: Well, I play classic rock and blues and wow does this guitar just work for them. It sounds like it was made just for my taste! I'm using a crappy Peavey Bass amp and a Korg Multi-effects processor and the sound if phenomenal. Only very slightly noisy with a natural tube distorition up to a fat Zeppelin style sound. If you overdo the gain the pups can be noisy but not enough for me to say this baby can't do metal if I needed it to. Bridge is as bright as it should be but a much richer full bodied sound which twangs brilliantly. The neck is thick and deep and smokin' bluesy. Very tasty. Might change it though as my blues tone taste is changing but I would be more than happy to keep it if I couldn't change it for some reason. The bridge pickup with overdrive is beatifully clear and rich and full sounding. The twang is just as apparent but it doesn't become harsh or brittle. Think Rebel Rebel by Bowie or Keep on Rocking in the Free World by Neil Young. I tend to keep the neck to clean settings as that is where it sounds best and have no need to distort it with such a rocking bridge pup. It does crunch nicely too though! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Fantastically well set up and was immediately playable. Fender did a good job on this one! The pickup height was spot-on and all the electronics are tip-top. Frets were beautiful and practically orgasmic to play on. Pickup selector is ninja-silent. Also, the tuners stay in tune for years and survive whole trips in a gigbag and come out in tune at the other end! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Haven't played it Live yet but there is No Doubt in my mind it will perform magnificently. The hardware is solid and I put some straplocks on just in case. I would have no problems gigging without a backup even if I could afford one. The finish chips and dents fairly easily but that just adds to its charm, I think. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing two years and own minimal gear. Me and my axe are a match made in heaven, for sure. If it were stolen I would probably buy two for tha sake of it, they're that good. Nothing I hate about it at all. Just perfect. I've read reviews of bad ones so try before you buy, always. However, with a Highway 1 you'll have a loyal, dependable axe that will always be by your side. // 10

Highway 1 Telecaster Reviewed by: indie2006, on november 09, 2012

Sound: I play everything for Indie to punk rock right through to the odd popish style song. I have played it on a Marshall MG100 and Peavey 40w Rage amps and found that it gives clean crisp tones when they are wanted yet is equally good at putting out distortion. have played my friends std american tele and think that this thing is in a different class with brighter tone than the std's. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Immaculate finish. Just right action. No tinkering required. Finish is unbelievable to look at and opposed to the flat colour the honey blonde transparent gives that little extra detail required. Can just see the grain throughout and is a beautiful touch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Definately capable of Live playing and I would recomend it to anyone looking a good versatile gig guitar. Would use it without backup and not worry about anything breaking. Seems solid and will probably survive anything thrown at it. Will definately withstand a rough set. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything and everything and have found that this will sound good at alomost anything, not sure of metal/rock but, it's not something I play so no concerns. I also have a Marshall MG100DFX, Peavey Rage 40w, Boss DS-2, a V-Amp2 and a De-Armond Jazz Sig Les Paul with bisbgy style bridge and humbucker pickups. If it were lost or stolen I'd probly cry as the transparent finish was hard to come across. And probly even harder to replace. Compared it to std american teles. My friends mexican tele and a few Ibanez's and found this was by far the most capable. // 10

Highway 1 Telecaster Reviewed by: dk13, on november 09, 2012

Features: Mine is the upgraded 06 version, it has the three-tone sunburst finish with 22 jumbo frets and a maple neck. It has a string through body and a three-piece saddle (as a tele should have, basic but better) and locking tuners. Apart from the fact it has a beautiful nitrocellulose laquer finish, there's not much else to say feature-wise. It's tele, you get what you see. // 6

Sound: People say the staris Fender's all purpose guitar, but my God, this thing is as versatile as I'll ever need. It's satisfyingly bright and twangy on a clean channel and on overdrive it'l deliver any tone you need, or damn close to it (forget about metal or squealies, this guitar despises them). The secret of the good tones across the whole spectrum lies partly in the finish, because it is very thin and lets the vibrant voice of the wood be heard. It excells in country and Indie, but if set up properly, it'll out do a Strat no problem (definitely the highway 1 Strat anyway). I mostly play through a Marshall AVT50X but it also performs just as well through my Fender (allbeit a cheap and lousy amp). This sounds and performs like a proper tele, honestly try any sound, it'll manage it (except metal). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar must have been tuned once more by Santa when he dropped it off because it was perfect as soon as I got it: action-fine, tuning-perfect, stock pickups-right height and sound, and on top of that the finish was impeccable. The very first time I have not needed or wanted to change anything on a guitar after getting it, even the strings are satisfactory. I can see no reason to give it less than a 10 in this aspect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a tele, there is nothing on the guitar to go wrong, so it doesn't. I have even dropped on it's stap button before and there was no visible blemish. I do use this at gigs without backup, no problem. The finish has proved to be of good quality, it hasn't shown signs of fading even after many hours of topless playing but I wish it would fade, because then it would look even cooler. This isn't just my instrument, it's my loyal steed and will never wear out. // 10

Overall Impression: My personal genre is rock, and trust me, this does it well. When buying it, I also tried the highway 1 Strat and the Standard American tele, This thing wins on looks, tone, playability and also in capturing the true and old qualities of Fender guitars. I already have a mexican Strat and a PRS SE Custom, this it better. If this were stolen I would definitely buy another one, it's too good a guitar for so little money. It stands up there with the best of them. // 10

Highway 1 Telecaster Reviewed by: vortical, on november 09, 2012

Features: I have thrown this thing against the walls on stage like SRV and It the finish doesn't chip or anything. It all looks like it would last. I don't bring my backups to shows anymore. // 10

Sound: I play both blues and 80's metal (Poison, Guns N' Roses, Quiet Riot). I'm running it through a Mesa/Boogie 2X12 Lonestar. The pickups are a little noisy but the output of them is so high that when your playing it covers the buzz. THe neck has a really deep thick blues sound and the bridge has great high end that isn't too twangy like tele's usually are. The bridge puts out an incredible distorted or clean sound. No dislikes so far. // 10

Overall Impression: Superb. Don't think I need any other guitar. I can use this for everything. // 10

Highway 1 Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Mexican assembled, sunburst body with a 22 fret maple neck. I bought the guitar after playing a similar rosewood neck Squier Tele I had set up for slide playing with raised action and heavy top end strings. I always wanted to own a maple neck, classic look Tele and the neck and action was what attracted my attention to this particular guitar. I recommend choosing from a range of similarly set up guitars when buying. I tried several that just didn't "feel" right. All the hardwear is standard and has held up through travel, prolonged sweat inducing playing in a remote mining camp and learner's lunacy. No extras, none needed which meant I got the deal I was looking for. It was ready to play after Killian from Concept did the predelivery set up for me. Seems to be really good value. // 8

Sound: I like all kinds of guitar driven music and jam with midi backing tracks because I live isolated and don't know any other obsessed musicians. It's a "feel" thing but I just love playing this guitar. I use a Fender 65 watt amp, a DigiTech RP50 and a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah. Mostly rhythm and blues but I've recently started messing around with Shadows and Ventures "surf" music. I am able to get all the sounds I want from my set up. I particularly like the heavy sustain, lightly overdriven squeal I can get using the bridge pickup. The overall brightness works for me. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action, fit and finish were good quality and a credit to concept's customer service. No problems have been encountered. I've broken a few B and G strings so have lightly sanded out the bridge saddle and use a heavier gauge string set which has reduced the breakages of late. I should add that without a wammie, I bend the strings a lot for vibrato so it may be a combination of my technique and the "sharp" saddle that's been doing the strings in. Pleasing ATD and quality - which is why I bought it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Isn't all playing live? I don't do gigs but am very happy with the instrument's reliability. Everything about the guitar makes me recommend it as a robust unit. After a year of playing for at least 2 hours a day, it still looks good and shines. I think Teles have classic lines and when you think the design is over 50 years old, has to be in the epitome of perfect balance between function and form - as all classical shapes are. By the way, it's not heavy, it's my guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Take your time, find the instrument that feels right for you and you'll end up as happy as me. There is something mystical about the right guitar - it will speak to you. I have friends who tinker with playing and say my Tele is hard to play however I find it easy and it has brought my playing on a long way. My guitar teacher and legendary Perth muso Lindsay Wells, plays an ancient $150 Vesta that he wants to be buried with for similar reasons. I have been playing for a long time but really only become serious in the last 5 years. I am now playing the way I always wanted to and this instrument has a lot to do with that. I have found the guitar I want and can only recommend that if you take the time to find the one that suits you, this make of Tele is the way to go. // 10

Highway 1 Telecaster Reviewed by: OSU_emo, on november 09, 2012

Sound: This thing sings! The bridge pickup screams and the neck pickup hollers. I play mostly hard rock, but really I'm all over the board. This guitar will sound like anything you want! I run it through a Fender Frontman 25R, and it gets a little bit of a hum with the more I put between the guitar and the amp. That can be fixed by buying quality cables. I love the brighter punk sound, and this thing does it all. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything came perfect from the factory. Every piece of hardware on this axe is high quality and meant to last. I've heard of people worrying about the paint being easily scratched, but I haven't noticed anything of the like yet. It may scratch in the future, but it isn't as cheap as that of my other guitars. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for a few years and admit that I'm not the best in the world. But I can tell the difference between an awesome guitar and a cheap Ibanez special. I was looking for a solid professional guitar with a fixed bridge, and this baby delivered. Strats are always a solid choice, but Teles are perfect for a lot, and really good for everything else. // 10

Highway 1 Telecaster Reviewed by: DK-Guitarist, on november 09, 2012

Features: This baby was made in 2005. It has 22 frets, jumbo. My neck is maple, and my baby's color is honey blonde. The pickups are passive, and are both single coils. There's a volume knob and a tone knob. There was a gig bag included in my case - a Fender Deluxe gig bag. I love the paint. You just have to be careful. But the cool thing is. That is a thin paint so the tree vibrates, so in my opinion it has a better sound than the american standards. You can see the real wood through the paint job. I like that. // 10

Sound: This baby suits my whole music style. Hard rock, soft rock, poprock. I use this baby through a Marshall 15w amp, the amp is okay for training, but unfortunately its the only one I've got. This baby doesn't really make noises. The sound is very rich. Might be because its single coils. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well set up from the beginning. I asked the store if I could be there when they set it up. So I saw it right out of the box. I like what I saw. It was wrapped totally. Very responsible. The pickup height was very suitable for me, and the string height was also very fine. The shop did what I said. No flaws here. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is definately more than okay for touring, live playing. Whatever. The hardware is built to last. It's a Tele for christ sake! I replaced the strap buttons with Schaller strap locks. I don't like not using strap locks. Afraid of dropping my baby. I depend 100% on this baby. I would definately use this on a gig without backup. // 10

Overall Impression: If my baby was stolen I would go buy a new one for insurance money. Yeah I got it insured. I love this guitar. That's all I can say. When I took this baby up at the store, I knew there was love in the air. I love this baby. // 10

Highway 1 Telecaster Reviewed by: mark-do, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: Mine is a 2005 American made Highway 1 Telecaster. 21 frets, maple body and neck. The body is painted a honey blonde but you can still see the natural wood through it. It has a volume knob, tone knob, and a 3-way Switch. Mine came with a custom fit hard case which I love. // 10

Sound: The sound is amazing! It suits any style of music and has a very rich tone and sounds great on my amp and any other amp I have tried it on (I use a Line 6 Spider II 112 75 watt amp). The pickups are silent even with high distortion on. As I said before, this guitar can be played with any kind of music, country-metal-blues-rock. Anything. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar everything was perfect, no cips or dents. The only thing I had to do was tighten the knobs but that took no time at all. I also put new strings on because the factory ones sucked. Everything on the guitar though was flawless. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can easily withstand live play. I play in a band at school and it's great. I've had no problems with the strap buttons at all. I would definatly gig without a backup with this guitar. No questions asked. The finish on the guitar is great. I've had it for almost a year now and its still perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for almost 3 years now. When I bought this guitar I was debating buy a Strat but I liked the Tele more and I think I made the right choice. I own a Stratacoustic and a Squire but this blows them away by a mile. I also own a Line 6 Spider II amp and a Fender Frontman 15 amp. I would never lose this guitar but if it was stolen some how I would definatly buy a new one as soon as I got the money! // 10

Highway 1 Telecaster Reviewed by: boehlefeld, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: thomann music store

Features: My Telecaster was produced in America in 2006. It has 22 frets and a maple neck. The colour is 3-tone-sunburst combined with a white pickguard. It have not changed anything at all yet, so there is a 3-way-selector, the classical Tele style bridge and the two classic singlecoil pickups. It came with strings, a gigbag and some stylish Fender stickers. // 10

Sound: This guitar was what I was looking for. The neck pickup deals with a straight clean sound. But I the bridge pickup sounds amazing. It's a hard, direct sound that no other guitar is able to produce. For the most music I play is Indie and blues rock I can use bot of them. Before I bought that guitar, I had been trying many guitars, I had borrowed from friends. I had my own guitar (some Yamaha beginner thing) but I wasn't satified. Since I bought this Telecaster now Ihaven't played any other (electric) guitar. I use a a Fender Priceton 65W amp and that is the perfect combination. I don't play a lot of distorted sounds, so I survive without any effects except of a cry baby wah. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It arrived here without any flaws at all. I bought it in a closed Fender box (in the store I had tested a white one -- sunburst was only somewhere in the stock). And even it had been shipped from the US to Europe somehow I just had to tune it. I still use the strings that were originally on it and. I'm a bit unsatisfied with tunig the e.g. and h string. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Telecaster guitars are probably the most easiest guitars to construct. Take a board and some metal, finished! So what could break when not throwing it off a bridge. I even never needed a new string (And I use 009-042). Strap buttons? I has never fallen down yet and I didn't modify anything (Ok, I added a strap for 10 quid). I used it without backup on several gigs and I could always trust it. The finish doesn't look that solid but shows no scratches or anything yet (I wear the belt buckle on the side). But I wouldn't mind if it might look worn off. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly Indie stuff and blues (rock). That is the perfect match. I've been playing for nearly 5 years now. It's my second guitar and definitely one I'll use my whole life. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definitely buy another one. My favourite feature is the bridge pickup. I love the simplicity and hate, I compared it to the Mexico Standard Tele and the American Standard Tele and found out the difference in sound is not worth the 350 Euros an American Standard would cost more while the 300 the Mexico cost less are worth the money. Besides, the American Standard Tele was to heavy. Sometimes I wish I had another one for open tunings. // 9

Highway 1 Telecaster Reviewed by: Tyson2011, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: BestBuy

Features: Not sure what year this is, made in America. 22 jumbo frets, 9.5" fretboard radius, not nearly as chunky of a neck as been said, just fills the hand, feels very comfortable. Maple neck and fretboard, Alder body. Midnight wine nitro finish (beautiful). Was a small scratch in the finish when I bought it, bairly visible I had to search for a good 10 minutes to find it, but I got 10% off my purchase for it. 3 saddle bridge, 3 pickup selector... greasebucket circutry. Good tuners, really only have to fine tune every other day, if that depending on how hard I play it. // 9

Sound: Suits my musical stylings perfectly, which is why I bought it. It rips blues apart, does punk extremely well, and if you roll off teh tone knob to almost nothing, you can get a fairly good metal tone out of it (not as good as my JEM, but that is a given). On the neck pickup, chords are just to die for. They are so smooth and clean, but still have that lingering tele twang in the background. This guitar literally gave me chills the first time I plugged it in, its that good. The pickups suprisingly aren't noisy at all, granted I am playing through a Peavey Vypyr 60, which has a built in noise gate. But yeah, the tone on this thing is to die for, which is the reason anyone gets a tele in the first place, its just got that aura to its sound that no other guitar can match. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it from bestbuy the guy set everything up for free, and did an immaculate job. Action is really low, but doesn't buzz at all. Intonation is perfect, pickups needed to be raised just a hair for my personal tastes. Only flaw in the guitar was a small scratch on the back that isnt even noticable as previously stated, but I got a good chunk of money off the price for it. Fretwork was perfect. The finish on this guitar is beautiful. Very matte, and the grain shows through very nicely. I look over to the other side of my bedroom and smile looking at how classy this thing looks. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would have no problem using this life, in fact, I do frequently. The hardware seems fine, definitely not of the highest quality, but definitely reliable. I replaced the strap buttons for Ernie Ball locks, but that's only because I don't trust anything but locks on anything. I would definitely use this guitar without a backup, but I do not as we use multiple tunings throughout our shows. The finish is beautiful, and mine has shown know signs of chipping or falling off as others have said, but I am also very careful with my instruments. The finish is definitely thin, but that is the point on this guitar, it is MEANT to relic, so that cannot really be seen as a bad point on this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues, punk, hard rock, and metal..and this thing does all of them wonderfully, but as previously stated, I prefer my Ibanez JEM for metal (obviously). I've been playing for about 4 years, and also own my JEM, an Epiphone Les Paul Special II (ugh), a Fender CD-60 (great guitar for the money), and a no name classical guitar that was handed down to me. I play through a Peavey Vypyr 60 and occasionally my friends Carvin Legacy 100w with matching cab. If this was stolen or lost, I would most definitely get a new one, I prefer it to the American Standard as it is just a little bit hotter, but not so much it can't handle calmer music, it definitely still has that tele spank to it. I love everything about this guitar, when I picked it up I knew it was the one, everything just felt right. My favorite feature is definitely the neck pickup for chords, its the bee's knees. I kind of wish this guitar had the 5 way selector with parallel/series styling, but I am more than content with the guitar as is. Definitely try one out, you will not be dissapointed. // 10

Price paid: A$ 1499

Purchased from: Rockshop NEW ZEALAND

Features: it was made in USA, not sure what year it was made but i think pretty recent. it has 22 jumbo frets on a beautiful maple neck, 25.5" scale. Body is solid Alder and is finished in fenders Satin Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish, basically just a satin black or satin sunburst (mine is black). Tele shape of course, what else is there? bridge is a Standard tele style with the strings thru the body. passive "Hot Tele" alnico 3 single coil pickups, controls are single 3 way selector switch, one volume and one tone. tuners are Standard Fender cast/sealed heads. This came with an instruction booklet and some alan keys for adjustments and my local shop was having a deal to get a cheap hardcase along with the guitar so i got the free gig bag that comes with the guitar Standard and a Warwick rockcase to fit for a mere 89 dollars. // 9

Sound: i mainly play rock of variations, stuff like paramore and daughtry thru to some heavier stuff like kse and children of bodom, i havnt really tried it with the heavier stuff yet but i feel it will probably be okay with it, ive played a few paramore songs with it and it can re create the farro bros. sound perfectly it sounds amazing, i am currently running it through a Line 6 spider 3 120 2x10 combo which is perfect for this guitar because on hi gain setting the built in noise gate stops the hum from single coils. the cleans on this guitar in both the neck and bridge are amazing but i think when you give it some gain it really shines. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: factory set up was flawless, nothing was wrong with anything, they say sometimes it may need adjusting because of how it was sent or whatever but not this one it was perfect. pickups were perfect height also. guitar had no flaws to body or finish or neck or hardware nothing it was amazing from the work go. // 10

Reliability & Durability: this guitar will withstand live playing, i only got it today but i know it will. hardware seems like it will last a good long time, strap buttons are Vintage style and they are very sturdy i dont think it will drop ever. i would always have a backup at a gig incase of string breaks but i would definitely think nothing else besides that would go wrong. good finish, the satin looks and feels really nice. // 9

Overall Impression: i am used to play les pauls and always thought that i would stick to les pauls forever after the one ive got but when i picked this up there was something different about it, it felt really nice to have this in my hands. this guitar will play anything if you want to make it. if it was stolen i would definitely get another although i wud have to wait to get the money somehow. i did compare this before buying to a Gibson Les Paul and a highway one Strat and this won hands down, it felt the best, looked the best and was just too good of a deal to pass up. // 10

Highway 1 Telecaster Reviewed by: Kazzy40, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Howarths music

Features: I bought my Tele 2 years ago, its a 2008 model made in America. Maple neck with jumbo frets. Alder body with a sunburst nitro finish. Mine has the Texas Special pickups and Greasebucket circuit. Tuners are Fenders own. Mine was sold with a padded Fender gigbag, Good bag but a hardcase would have been nice for such a good quality guitar. Bit of Fender cost cutting. Loses a point for that. // 9

Sound: The sounds are pure Telecaster, a good Tele can cover just about any music style its down to the player. I play mine through a Vox VT15. The older its getting the better its sounding. The sounds on clean settings have the classic twang and crank up the dirty settings and it turns into a monster. These highway ones are just as good as the standards don't let anyone tell you different only the finish puts some off. Soundwise not much in it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set up perfectly by the shop (thanks Dave) and fit and finish was and still is flawless.Heard a few tales of dodgy examples but mine is a goodun. As with any guitar check it out its in your own interest. I think buying from a shop you know and trust makes sense when spending quite a lot. E-bayers beware. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Live playing no problem, I can see these models becoming classics in years to come as I believe Fender has now discontinued this model. There are sixty year old Teles still being used out there if you get one of these its a friend for life. It will just gain character. How much dependability do you need. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of sixties stuff Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, its just about perfect. It was and still is my best guitar and would never part with it. If you want a good playing great sounding guitar at a reasonable price these are Fenders American bluecollar instruments if they were good enough for the late great Danny Gatton who are we to argue. Nuff said. // 10

Purchased from: Manns Music Colchester

Features: It's a Telecaster, no frills, what you get is what you see. Mine is Satin Sunburst with white pickguard and maple neck/fretboard. // 10

Sound: This is a tone machine and no mistake, lovely and warm when required and spikey as only a Tele can be, with everything in between. All with only two knobs and two pick-ups. I play a variety of music, mainly edgier stuff like Radiohead, but blues and 60's - 70's rock too, nothing too heavy, I am not a shredder. I am playing through a Laney LC30 all valve combo, with no effects except the Drive channel and reverb and this Tele is not too noisy even on the Drive channel with the gain right up. You are going to get some noise, as any single coil would, but nothing OTT. I have had a 1989 Standard Tele before, but sold it (DOH!) and regretted it ever since, this version of the Telecaster, in my opinion beats the '98 Standard for tone, no question. I upgraded the pick-ups in my old '98 to some Bareknuckles (Nice, very nice...) but do not feel I will need to in this instance as the tones available are OK with me. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Set-up wise, no issues, the shop put on some new strings (D'Adargio 10's), before sending it out. Action a tad high, but 2 seconds with the allen key and a tuner and that was that sorted to my preference. Balance between the pick-ups seems spot on to my ears, no issues there. The finish, which I have seen take a bit of a battering on some reviews is faultless. The only "fault" was a ding (hardly noticeable)on the body, not through the lacquer, which occurred in the shop. I got 10% off for it and you really can't see it. All the frets are OK, no sharp spots as some reviewers have found, maybe I am just lucky? // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a TELECASTER, it won't break-EVER! Schaller locking strap buttons going on as soon as I get to a shop and definitely before gigging, made THAT mistake once before. I fit them to ALL my guitars, this is not to say that factory ones are no good, they just don't lock and all my straps have locking heads on. Of course I will depend on it, see above, I always take a back-up, but that is because I like to be prepared! (Strings break you know!) // 10

Overall Impression: Overall a good, if not better replacement for a '98 Standard, ticks all the boxes with me, I wanted a USA Telecaster and got one at a fair price. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Pawn Shop Mustang Special 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/01/2014