J5 Triple Tele Deluxe Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: J5 Triple Tele Deluxe
Pairing three high-output Enforcer pickups with enough chrome to blind the back row, the Fender J5 Triple Tele Deluxe takes the ever popular '70s-era Tele Deluxe platform to new heights.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
reviews (4) pictures (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
J5 Triple Tele Deluxe Reviewed by: koneesh, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 900

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: I purchased this guitar in 2007 brand new from Long and McQuade. It was manufactured in 2007 in Mexico. Maple Neck-22 frets Rosewood Fretboard with Dot inlays Locking custom shop tuners Strat style 6 point tremolo 3 Enforcer pickups White binding on both the front and back Master tone, Master volume 3-way toggle on upper bout Black 70s headstock Mirror pickguard I would rate this at 10 except the whammy bar goes in crooked. I took it to my tech and he said Fender has been doing a sloppy job like that for a few years. // 9

Sound: I play hard rock, metal, and pop. This guitar handles all of it. It sounds great when played clean or through very high gain. I wouldn't recommend this guitar to beginners because the pickguard makes it noisy with high gain. If you're skilled at muting unused strings it'll be great for you. The tone knob has a huge range on it. It goes from bright to completely dull when turned down. The "slash trick" doesn't work on this guitar. But then you don't need to turn the tone al the way down for a nice round sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set low. I actually didn't play it much before I sent it to my tech. It came stock with 9 or 10 gauge strings, I play 11s. The intonation is great. The string tension is low so you can bend with comfort even with 11s equipped. The tuners are amazing. I rarely need to tune this guitar. It looses some points because of the sloppy whammy bar. One of the Fender logo disks fell off one of the back of the tuners. Not a big deal but it sucks that I lost it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played this guitar live onstage for 3 years. I've only broken a string twice on it. I would use it without a backup, however... Always bring a backup, you never know what will happen at a show. I immediately installed schaller strap locks so I don't know hot solid the original ones are. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 12 years doing jazz, rock, metal, blues and latin. This guitar can handle all styles. I love the pickups in it. John 5 did a wonderful job designing this guitar. If it were stolen I would be heartbroken. I would definitely buy another one. // 9

J5 Triple Tele Deluxe Reviewed by: Payne86, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musicians Friend Clearance Center

Features: A black double-bound alder body, three hot high-output Enforcer humbucking pickups I, a Vintage Tremolo bridge, and a flash chrome pickguard. Three-way selector Switch, 21 frets, master volume and master tone knobs, locking tuners. Has a maple neck with rosewood fretboard. Made in 2007-2008 // 10

Sound: This guitar can suit any music style under the sun. It distorts at really low volumes, but you can still get a pretty clear clean sound in the rhythm position, and that recognizable Telecaster twang in the treble position. This guitar screams with overdrive and distortion. I currently play it through my Epiphone Blues Custom 30 amp with a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion (set only to the distortion side), Dunlop Crybaby, and an MXR Phase 90. This guitar has excellent tonal range, and is not noisy at all, but can get good feedback if standing close to the amp (I am a feedback junky). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set up pretty well from the factory. The high E string was off the fretboard a little too much for my liking, but I got a set-up from my local shop and now it plays like a dream. The locking tuners are great for keeping the guitar in tune even with heavy tremolo use. Neck was straight out of the box. Only one flaw in the guitar was a loose screw, which got me 10% off the price (retails at $899.99) // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is made for Live playing. I would never play without a back-up incase of string breaks, but I wold never worry about hardware problems with this guitar. It's built like a tank (and quite heavy for a Telecaster). It feels about the weight of a les paul. The finish seems very strong and built to last. This guitar seems like it will withstand a lot of abuse. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for several years, and this is one of the best guitars I have come by. If it were lost/stolen, I would save up and buy it again no question. This guitar has the awesome tone of a tele, can get deep bluesy tones like a les paul, and can play creaming metal like an Ibanez rg. It is truly the most versatile guitar I have ever played. // 10

J5 Triple Tele Deluxe Reviewed by: sk8r4evr95, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This guitar was a 2007 J5 Triple Tele Deluxe made in Mexico with a rosewood fredboard and maple C shape neck. There are 3 Chrome Covered Enforcer "Wide Range" humbucking pickups which make the guitar really heavy and they're swithched using a three way Switch and it has a black polyester finish with the tele body style. It came with a Standard american Vintage synchronized tremolo bridge and has one volume and one tone knob. There are Fender/Schaller Vintage F style locking tuning machines at the neck and a matching black oversized Stratocaster headstock. The brass pickuard is chromed as well along with all the hardware. It came with a Fender deluxe gigbag // 10

Sound: I play all kinds of music but mostly classic rock and metal but this guitar can handle pretty much anything. I usally use my blues junior to practice on and a Fender bassman head through a Marshall cabinet to get louder. I run the signal thorough a Boss overdrive and distortion pedal. The guitar sounds great plugged straight in though. You can get everything from that signature twangy sound that teles are known for at the neck position to a deep low end sound well suited for metal and the bridge with a little mixture of both at the middle. My dad plays jazz and he even likes to play it. You could play pretty much any kind of music you want to with this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up almost perfectly when I got it. The action was low and the intonation was perfect. The pickups were perfectly adjusted and everthing was great.. Playable right out of the box. The finish was beautiful especially with the chrome pickguard. The only problem I had was with the electronics. The pots on the knobs were a little faulty but that wasn't really hard to fix but other than that it was perfect. I also put a screen protector over the part of the pickguard. The neck is very comfortable in my hand and is thick enough for easy playibility but not so much that more technical riffs can be played easily // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was made for gigging. The chrome pickgurad blinds everybody in the back while everybody up front gets thier ears blasted out. The hardware is very high quality besides the bad pots. I doubt I will have to replace the tuners anytime soon and the finish seems durable and will probably last a long time and the strap buttons are stable. I would definetly use it without a backup if absolutly nessacary due to the fact that putting strings on it takes so little time due to the locking tuners. The only downside to gigging with it is that the triple humbucker stack makes the guitar quite heavy, much heavyer than your average Les Paul which can wear out your shoulders when held for a long period of time. But other than that, it's great. // 9

Overall Impression: Since I play mostly hard rock and metal, this guitar suit's me well but if I want to tone down for something a little more mellow, than this guitar can handle it well also. I have been playing for about a year now and this is my second guitar which is a huge step up from the Squier Bullet that I have been playing. I also own a Baby Taylor and a Takamine. If it were ever lost or stolen I probably wouldn't get another one due to the fact that I got a really good deal on this one (the average price online is about 1200) and I don't have a lot of money to throw around but that's the only reason. I love how versitile the guitar is and the chrome pickguard is friggin sweet. I don't like how heavy it is but that's the sacrifice for the wide variety of sounds and the awesome looks of three humbuckers. I didn't compare it to anything else at all. I was browsing around eBay and saw this guitar and I knew that I had to have it. The only thing I wish it had was a five way Switch instead of a three way so that even more sound choices were availible but other than that, it's perfect. // 10

J5 Triple Tele Deluxe Reviewed by: LeoKisomma, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This guitar was made in 2007 and designed very closely in co-operation with John 5 himself. Overall layout: - 22 frets - Rosewood fingerboard - Laminated Black Top - Chrome inlays - Chrome Mirrored Scratch-plate - Non-Locking six point tremolo system - Locking Tuners - Master Tone, Master Volume dials that work for all three pickups - 3 Fender enforcer humbucker pickups, all passive - 70's style large Fender headstock - Telecaster body shape (you don't say?) - Relatively wide neck compared to most Fenders, and definitely much wider than most Ibanez guitar necks. I bought mine used, so I don't know what accessories come with it when it's new, but mine came with everything needed to made adjustments to the truss rod and such. I would say that for a Fender Telecaster, there is a lot more on it than you usually get, but I would say that what will probably be of most importance to Telecaster enthusiasts is it's neck pickup sound, as it's usually a soap bar style pickup installed (single coil designed for the Telecaster), and changing that could well raise a few eyebrows amongst guitar geeks. Overall, not much that you could go wanting for, and of course chrome is a non-ferrous metal (no iron) so it doesn't rust as time goes on, which I think is a clever little touch. One slight issue, the whammy bar, by design, only stays still when it's pointing away from the guitar neck, making it a pain to get some good vibrato technique sometimes. // 9

Sound: So about that rhythm pickup, has it spoiled the sound of the Telecaster by changing what has worked for so long? In a word, No. If anything, the signature sound of the guitar had been enhanced by putting a humbucker pickup in there. Single coil pickups are less powerful than humbucker pickups, that's a simple fact no matter what brand you use, and the extra power means that the wonderful throaty tones that made the Telecaster the tool of trade for so many rings out as clearly as a bell, with no breakup or hum that comes with single coil pickups. Also, it sounds much thicker on this pickup than other telecasters, without any noticeable reduction in tone. The middle pickup seems to be ideal for country style licks as it picks up enough high frequencies to get the attack you need, but it is still throaty enough for all the chords you'll be hitting. The bridge pickup is phenomenally thick sounding, and really lends itself well to plays heavier styles of music, like metal and heavy rock, and lets be honest, John 5 is a metal guitarist most of the time, so it's to be expected. I would actually say that this thing has a thicker lead guitar sound than a Gibson Les Paul, and I know through owning one and playing one live fore a while, as well as playing this guitar live. My amps are varied, but My amp of choice for the moment is a Bogner Alchemist stack, along with a Blackstar HT 40, and it sounds fantastic through both. Whether it's clean or distorted, this guitar's tone sings through the amplifier beautifully. No breakup of sound to my ears, and in terms of styles this could achieve, I would truly say anything. The variety of tones between the pickups really does leave virtually every door open to you. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well set up, although the action is strange, as the pickups are very close to the strings, so you need to be careful not to hit the pickup that's currently being used. If I were to say this guitar had any flaws, there's only really two, but they are noticeable. One is that this thing is immensely heavy, think a Les Paul with a brick strapped to the back of it and you'd be getting close, so naturally strap locks are a must for this guitar. Two is that the fret-board's width is wider than most guitars I've played, which is probably one of the main contributing factors to it's amazingly thick sound. However, it does make this guitar harder to play. Sure you can still do all the tricks you used to able to do with a previous telecaster, but until you get used to playing it, your speed may be hindered by the size of the neck. Other than that, I don't think that there are any other flaws, and I think that especially if you need to sound 'BIG', this guitar is miles ahead of other telecasters. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Hardware seems sturdy, and I've had no mechanical faults so far. I would say that the non-locking tremolo system means that if you are too crazy, even with normal string bending, the guitar can put itself out of tune. However, that's a fact of life for all guitars with this system, and not specifically this guitar. Certainly there's no chance of anything falling off this thing soon, and as I said earlier, the decorations are made of materials that won't rust, so they will certainly last. Just so you know what chrome is, it's an ingredient metal used in stainless steel to stop it from rusting, and it's what pans used to be made out of so they didn't rust either. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is that it's been made for it's sound at the expense of it's usability, but it's probably just because my hands aren't as large as some people's. I have been playing for quite while now, and I've played many different guitars through many different amps, and this guitar has got me some of the best tones I can remember. However, I would not use this guitar for practice because of the way it feels. On the whole I would have no second thoughts about buying another if I lost this, or it was stolen. However, if you are looking for a guitar that fits perfectly into your hands, I'd seriously play this guitar first before putting your money down on the table. Sound, fantastic, playability, average. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ '64 Bandmaster Head 9 Guitar Amplifiers 07/22/2014