Jag-Stang Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Jag-Stang
The Jag-Stang guitars have one humbucker, a vintage-style single coil and a Fender floating vibrato, three-position slide on/off switch. Available in Fiesta Red and Sonic Blue.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 8.5
reviews (21) pictures (2) 50 comments vote for this gear:
Jag-Stang Reviewed by: Pontius, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Music Go Round

Features: I bought a used 1996 Sonic Blue Jag-Stang. Apparently this was Fender's 50th anniversary, if that counts as anything. Basswood with a 22 fret rosewood neck, floating bridge with a "dynamic" vibrato, "special" Fender pickups (1 single at the neck and a humbucker at the bridge) with an on/off/phase slider, volume, and tone controls. I got it with a gig bag, but I don't think it's the one that originally came with the guitar. It's a bit beat up, and the funbar's missing, but neither really makes much of a difference in the long run. Dents give character anyway. // 9

Sound: Don't let most of the other people fool you, the play of this guitar is great. The neck pickup is pretty good, giving a nice full sound (kind of suprised me coming from a single), but the humbucker is merely pleh. The single actually generates more sound than the humbucker. I'm planning on replacing the stock humbucker with a Dimarzio Evolution DP158 or 159, so it's not really a big deal. The phase really only generates a lower tone unless you phase both pickups, which gets you twangier, lower sound. It suits my music style amazingly well (mixture of grunge, alternative, punk, blues, ect) and never really fails to dissapoint. I play it through an old 12" tube amp (the only brand name I could find is REX, but it's made of wood if that gives any clue to the age) with a Dunlop Original Crybaby wah as my only effect. Sounds great, but I'm knocking it down to an 8 because of the weak stock humbucker. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I have absolutely no idea how well the guitar was set up originally, but the action is ok on mine. I'd like to lower it, but all of my guitars before this one had Tune-O-Matic bridges, so I never learned how to lower the action on one of these. Eh, it's not too bad anyway. I expected to have a beat up guitar on my hands seeing as how it was made almost 10 years ago, so I was prepared for large dents 'n such. But a few dents and only one real scratch was all that was wrong. The pickup selectors are still holding up, everything was routed pretty well, the input wasn't loose at all, and everything seems fine. I especially like the way that the bridge saddles are rounded instead of cut... it saves a lot of strings in the long run. The e string will occasionaly slip out, but it's only happened to me once when I plucked the string close to the bridge. It'd probably happen on the Tune-O-Matics too though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand live playing. Don't let anybody tell you differently. Over a long period of time you may have to replace the selector switches, but that's just because plastic will eventually wear down. Same thing happens with a car's standard gearbox. Wears down over time. The strap buttons are nice and solid, though I know that a lot of people will never trust buttons. I can depend on it... never had the trouble with the vibrato throwing the guitar out of tune like a lot of people apparently have. And yes, I do use it. Nothing can go completely wrong with a guitar or two to back you up, so I'd take a backup to any larger gig just because. The finish is pretty good, though basswood is generally easy to dent. // 9

Overall Impression: As I've said, I play a varied amount of chunky music with rock or bluesy time influences and this guitar is a great match. I've been playing for one and a half to two years, depending on whenever I decided to play seriously, and this is probably the most expensive musical piece of equipment I've bought. It easily beats the Epi Les Pauls and Strats that I've played from other people in my opinion. Great guitar for it's price range. I just hate how Fender decided to put cheap, crappy electronics in to imitate the great ones Cobain had in the original, a Texas Special Single and a Dimarzio H3 but I love the shape and sound this thing creates. The 24" scale neck takes a little getting used to, but the 14-22 fret range is very playable. Early on I compared this to the Jackson DKMG (or DXMG, whichever is around $500), the Epiphone standard Les Paul, the Standard and Highway One Strats, the Fender Cyclone, and the Fender reissue '69 Mustang. If I hadn't found one of these I probably would have gone with the Mustang or the Cyclone. And no, I'm not a Kurt Cobain fanatic, I just like the guitars. I chose this because it has a single and a humbucker instead of the Strat's 3 singles and the paul's 2 humbuckers, the shape and color were both very cool and different, the 24" scale, and the switches as opposed to the selector stick thing. If it were lost I'd find it, and if it were stolen I'd create an elaborate and overly dramatic scheme to behead whoever decided to make off with it. // 10

Jag-Stang Reviewed by: aboutagirl, on november 09, 2012

Features: The guitar came with a strap, cable, and a gig bag. Not to shabby. // 8

Sound: The sound quality of guitar is pretty good. I say this because if your using the sing coil pickup the sound is great. Clear, beautiful tones, and a nice hammering distortion. However, I think Fender probally put the worst humbucker in history in this guitar. It's unfortunate but true. The guitar is very versatile though, and for a guy like me, who cannot pick one sound, it's great! Even though I use it primarily with a digital amp, complete with effects, it still sounds good. For the money, I could not recommand a better starting guitar for a peson who wnats to become serious about music. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When considering the action of this guitar, I would have to say that is perfect! The guitar came in great shape, absolutely wonderful. I didn't have to adjust a thing! Not only this, but the instrument plays like a dream, the design works really well, especially the thin neck, if you have small or very unflexible fingers. Not much to say here, but that this guitar is definetly a 10 in this category. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had this guiatr for about a year now, and I play I regularly (almost everyday depending on my mood) and I must say I have not had a problem. The finish is pretty tough, I've knocked this thing around quite a bit, and it still looks great. I think overall this is a solid guitar and you wouldn't have any problems with it. I would depend on it solely for a gig for sure. // 9

Overall Impression: I like to play all over the board musically, and this guitar plays pretty well for most sounds. I have had this guitar for about 1 year and I have been playing for 2, since the purchase I have bought a Jaguar (amasing) and a Washburn acoustic (also amasing). To me this guitar will always be kind of special, it was my 1st electric. Thus, if it were gone, I'd want another. My favorite feature about this guiatr is its style, it's ackwardly feminine, and I love that. I think that's the way its designer (Kurt Cobain) would of wanted it. Especially in the sonic blue color. My most hated thing about this guitar is the humbucker, I can't wait to replace it. I don't think there much else I could say about this guitar, except change the humbucker and it will amaze you. // 9

Jag-Stang Reviewed by: guitarguyryan94, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Features: - Made in 1996, I believe. First year produced - Fiesta Red Finish - Basswood Body - Bolt-on Maple Neck - 22 medium frets - 24" Scale Length - 7.25" radius - Two 3-way switches (in series, out of phase, and off, I believe) - One Volume, One Tone - Mustang bridge - Humbucker and Single Coil pickups - Gotoh Vintage tuners (aftermarket) This guitar was bought pre-owned in a decent condition. The pickups had been replaced with what seemed to had been extra pickups that the previous owner had lying around. The tuners had been replaced with Gotoh tuners which happened to be the best part of this guitar. The switches also happened to be right in the way of my picking area. Your wrist practically rests on the rough tops of the switches, making picking very uncomfortable. I find them more obstructive than constructive. Fender could've considered a different placement for these switches. Just the overall construction of this guitar seemed doomed to fail and I decided not to waste my time trying to upgrade this guitar. // 3

Sound: Awful. Plainly awful. It was like putting my amplifier into a mud pit and expecting to still find a good tone with this guitar. Whoever thought it'd be a good combination of basswood and a miniature scale was an imbecile. The best tone I got out of this was probably... wait, I never got one. Unless you like iron piping for strings and trying to bend steel girders with the tips of your fingers, this guitar is completely awful. The only way I could see getting a decent tone out of this guitar would be to use EMGs just because they won't take the sound characteristic of the woods. Even then, I believe that EMGs are worth more than this guitar as a whole. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish was the only part of this guitar that I enjoyed. The gloss was very thin and very smooth. It was easy to get to the frets that I desired. The neck shape was also comfortable, making for more relaxed play. But a 7.25" radius? How the heck did these guitarists from pre-9.5" radius era even play leads on that radius? If your bend is just the slightest bit more than a whole step bend then you lose all source of the note you had tried to play, making leads impossible. Rhythm playing was nice, but that's practically it. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Reliability suffers severely. With the style of tremolo Bridge that comes on this guitar, it makes tuning very unstable. The Bridge also makes stringing very confusing if you're not accustomed to those types of bridges. The guitar is also very bulky and the odd shape and placement of electronics makes live playing almost like a puzzle. As for durability, I have yet to test the durability of this guitar against the concrete of my porch. This thing is a burden enough as it is, I am trying to get rid of this thing in anyway possible. // 1

Overall Impression: Fender, fender, fender. What more could I say? This guitar is abominable. I think that the only reason any sensible person would buy this guitar would be to have a tribute to a legendary musician. Unless you're willing to put in lots of money to upgrade this guitar, you might not want to purchase this guitar. It seems almost though that every Fender guitar that I've played, there has not yet been one that I've been ecstatic about. Although I do highly recommend Fender basses, Fender guitars I could care less for. This guitar, however, is most likely the epitome of awful guitars. // 1

Purchased from: Music Maker, Dublin

Features: The Jag-Stang I bought is a reissue of the original. There is 22 frets on it its a solid top all the usual 1 tone and 1 volume control and phase switches to change to singecoils or humbuckers. But these switches tend to get in your way but dont cause too much trouble. // 10

Sound: It suits my music style well because I play in a Nirvana tribute band which suits me perfectly and you can get a really good cobain sound out of it. At the moment I am using 1 Marshall 1960 b cabinet and im using a mesa boogie preamp to Drive it. In terms of effects im using an e/harmonix small clone a Boss DS1 and a Boss DS2. This guitar gives a very rich sound and can numerous sounds thanks to the switches. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very good I was well impressed the pickups are adjusted ok but I didn't like them that much and put them in a different position. Everything was done and it was a bookmatched top, but the bridge is similar to a Mustang which have a tendency to go out of tune but I've had no problems with it yet and i'm happy to say the guitar had no flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Absolutely this guitar can definately withstand live playing. Yes I'm pretty sure that the hardware will last the finish is good enough to last I dont think it will wear off. The strap buttons are very solid and have gave me no problems at all. I can depend on this guitar for any show. Yes I would use it on a gig without backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play grunge and this guitar is an exellent match for my style. I have been playing about two years and I own a Fender Standard Strat and a Fender Telecaster. There is nothing I wished I should of asked because I had tested it out before I bought it. I would buy it again if it was stolen. I love the sound of it, I hate the switches and my favourite feature is the neck of the guitar. // 10

Jag-Stang Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 09, 2012

Features: 1996 Japan 22 frets RH,single coil and modified jb seymor humbucker, rosewood neck, Fiesta Red, White Pearl pickguard bridge.. dynamic vibrato do not have the trem bar, nor do I have the hardcase it came with new. // 8

Sound: I used to be in a Nirvana cover band, but have expanded to late ninety's rock as well, but now mostly jam to original tunes written by bandmates and self. The sound I get from this inspires me to go in directions I thought never were possible with one guitar..the Jagstang is very versitile in range on sensitivity on hitting hard or soft and it seems to adjust to any style or clarity. I am using a Fender princeton chorus amp. piggybacked to a Peavey 212 chorus as a cabinet and surprisingly it's sound is like no other! I occasionally swith on the chorus while in overdrive and it boost the distortion to an awesome ambience, that fills any space. A very cool sound! I have modified the humbucker but the rest is orig.stock. For my taste, adding the jb seymor makes all the difference in the world. Also add some Elxir strings, They last! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: N/A bought from music store and has most likely been set-up to some extent I made a few changes : I raised the humbucker on top side toward the low E sting. raised the action on E, A, B and low E The weight is perfect and the finish is very attractive, I love the neck and the shape of the fretboard. I have had to solder the wire/s under the volume and tone controls that had shaken loose. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes! This Guitar can stand live gigs, I have used this thing countless times and has never failed, only like any other guitar it will go out of tune slightly after about 12-15 songs ..but that is only from me playing so hard on some songs, very natural to go out at some point but very average along with my Stratocaster as well as others. very durable! I have had my strap come off a few times and the butt of the guitar had hit the ground very hard at times, but you could never tell looking at it, that it had been in some accidents. Other than a few dings on the finish(what guitar doesn't have dings?)the guitar is made very well. If you treat something special it will stay special! If you punk it on the ground or smash microphones with it, it will damage and break! Just like a hot rodder paying for expensive tires, then peeling out at every stop sign burning the rubber off. I never understood that! // 10

Overall Impression: I originaly bought this guitar for nostalgic reasons, and did not expect such a fine crafted piece of work. However it was instantly my main axe.I have been playing my Jagstang since early 1998 I own a few other Fender Guitars and amps and have been playing seriously for15 + years. The Jagstang is a Favorite of mine, it never collects dust! I am now in search of a sonic blue jagstang I would love to have the pair, So I can modify one just a bit different for a back-up. // 10

Purchased from: 3 FEATHERS GALLERY

Features: It has an American Strat single coil pickup, which has the trademark Jangle. It features its own hot humbucker which has plenty beef. I'm not sure of when it was made, but it was crafted in Japan. I'm still not sure of the Fender vibrato though. It's made all of maple I've been told. It has Vintage Schaller tuning locks and an unusual selector Switch. // 8

Sound: I'm sure you'll never be dissapointed with the sound, as it has that expensive Strat single-coil tone, plus the hot humbucker I mentioned earlier. I'm currently using it with a small tube amp and a Korg effects board. Its sounding great! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up nicely when I got it, but I've lowered the action considerably - and got away with it without any rattle. The sonic blue finish looks great and I love the pearl pickguard. Everything feels well finished and solid. My friends all envy me now! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The finish looks extremely durable, all the hardware looks strong so far. I've only gigged once with it, and it handled it superbly. I have fitted strap locks just to be sure, but the original buttons seemed alright. The pickguard seems completely scratchproof! I would definetely feel confident at future gigs with this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm currently into Vintage Rock, and I love Joe Perry's style. The humbucker suits Perry and Slash riffs to a tee. I like playing long, relaxed lead solos and the Jag-Stangs playability aids me in this. I would recommend it to any intermediate lead player. My other guitar (unsurprisingly) is an Epiphone 'Joe Perry' LP. I chose the Jag-Stang due to its unparalleled value for money. // 10

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This guitar is a reissue of the original Jag-Stang designed but Kurt Cobain. The best feature of this guitar is the action, in my opion, because it is set really low, just how I like it. It has one single coil and one humbucker. The single coil is a custom, if I'm not mistaken, and I know that the humbucker was specially designed with Cobain and Fender. It has a Fiesta red finish, and in other words, it is a reddish-orange colour. The pickguard is pearloid, which I find beautiful. The two three way switches that the guitar has are good, but I find that they are situated in a rather stupid place, because I have rubbed my wrist raw from them, as they are directly above the pickguard and where I strum. Altogether, it is a great guitar, I just wish the switches were in a different place. // 8

Sound: The Jagstang has beautiful sound, really rich and deep, but the low strings are louder than the high strings. I use a Peavey 25 watt with lots of effects, and it works beautifully. I have to use a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, because the amp doesn't have all that great distortion, and it also is great. I play a lot of classic rock and metal, and this is perfect. I also play grunge, and this is Kurt Cobain's guitar, so of course it's good for grunge. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It really does not have any real flaws in the setup. The action is beautiful, and the pickups and everything work excellent. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will outlive me, probably. The finish is tough, and won't wear. I'm too poor to have a backup, so I have to play without one. Everything is moderately good. // 8

Overall Impression: Okay I've wanted this guitar before I listened to nirvana or anything I fell in love with it the minute I saw it. I chose this because I love humbuckers and hate single coils, and it only has one single coil that you can turn off. I considered getting an Epiphone Les Paul Gold Top, and find that this fits my playing better. Not that I'm dissing les pauls or anything, but I like this guitar better. // 8

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: This is a 2004 re-issue from Fender. Made in USA. It's got 22 medium jumbo frets, 24" scale with rosewood fingerboard and maple neck and Vintage machine heads so they won't rust. Basewood body with chrome hardware, a Fender Floating with "Dynamic" vibrato tail piece, Vintage Strat single coil pickup and specially designed "Hot Humbucker." It's just quality! // 10

Sound: This sounds great for me because I have such a wide range of sound to play from easy listening to real heavy metal. I can get a class sound for Chili Peppers songs and then when I'm with my hevy metal band I can get a great crunch sound from the Seymour Duncan style humbucker. And then I have a Boss GT-6 which gives me an even bigger variety of sound. It's great! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came with a gig bag and everything was fine, the action is really really low and the neck is very thin so its great for shredding, the bridge was well put in place and is great for those Randy Rhoads songs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have this guitar for nearly a year and I've gigged in many venues with it, it's great, the hardware will last a lifetime. It's chrome, you put that stuff on cars couse its gonna last. I have strap locks on the guitar and because its a Kurt Cobain designed guitar your expected to go mad on stage and you can really depend on it. The finish is an aqua blue and the guitar looks like its brand new. Love it! // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for about 6 years, I've a wide range of guitar styles and sounds, its the right guitar for different types of sound from funky stuff to heavy shit, I used to play Duality by Slipknot on it at a few gigs, went down really well, specially with the pinched harmonics. // 10

Jag-Stang Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: 2004 re-issue. Made in Japan. 22 medium frets. Solid-top. Tune-O-Matic bridge, volume, tone, and two pickup switches. One single coil and one humbucker pickups. Came with a gig bag. Overall a great amount of features for the price, although the strap on the bag is a bugger to work. None of the controls get in the way, either. // 10

Sound: I play a large amount of music and the Jag-Stang has coped with everything. From blues to metal, it makes everything sound great. I used to play with a crappy 10W Jay Turser amp, and it still sounded awesome. Then I upgraded to a 80W Peavey Bandit 112, and it blows my mind. It perhaps deals with distortion a little better, but the sound is so varied I could recommend it to anyone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was in perfect condition when I bought it, there was literally nothing wrong or out of place. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can't count the number of times I've accidentally smashed the headstock into a wall, and you can't even see a scratch. Live playing is a cinch, and I would easily use it live with no backup. The part where you put the lead in can get a little loose after a few months, but it takes a couple of seconds to tighten it up and it doesn't affect your sound in any way. // 10

Overall Impression: Occasionally I pine over a Highway 1 Strat, or a Les Paul Studio, but then I wonder "Why? I've already got the best." Personally this is my dream guitar, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. My favourite feature is quite easily the variety of sounds you can get from it, from riffing along with Metallica to soloing over Chuck Berry, the Jag-Stang knows what to do. If you have a wide taste in music and need a guitar to play all of them with a high quality, the Jag-Stang is exactly your guitar. Being designed by Kurt Cobain and played by Billie Joe Armstrong never hurts, either. // 10

Jag-Stang Reviewed by: ilovepixies, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: GAK

Features: This is a 2003 Fender Jag-Stang. It has 22 frets and is 'crafted' in Japan. It has a very skinny neck perfect for my smaller hands. It is solid body and is quite a small guitar in general. It is made from a big slab of basswood which gives it a deep unplugged sound. It also come with Tune-O-Matic bridge that Fender calls a 'dynamic vibrato' there are two pickup switches to turn the pickups on and off. It also has a volume and tone control. It has non locking tuners and came with a gig bag. // 8

Sound: I play punk such as Black Flag, Circle Jerks and Minor Threat so this guitar gives it quite a good sludgy sound. I play this guitar through a Marshall AVT150 and a Boss CE-5. The bridge pick up is very beefy and full sounding and also not too noisy when not playing. In a way it is a versatile guitar and not miles away from a Strat feel and sound. Altough the neck pickup sounds very tinny and weak so I do not use it much. This guitar sounds good in the players own opinion this is very much a guitar that needs an aqquired taste. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up nicley with Fender 10 gauge strings. The pickups on the neck were wonky and I thought this was a flaw but I saw this on other guitars done in the same way so it is not a mistake. All in all the guitar had a good set up and I am happy with it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: One very good thing about this guitar is that it is extremly sturdy and can take a beating. I play in a punk band and I thrash this guitar but I still take it to gigs with no back up and it withstands anything thrown at it (including bottles). // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a guitar for people looking for a filthy sound if you are into Led Zepplin or Guns N' Roses or any other classic rock bands buy a Les Paul Copy. I bought this guitar to fufil my lust for pricey Jaguars and Jazzmasters so If this was stolen now I would claim insurance and put more cash towards it and buy a Jaguar. This is a good midrange guitar and is definatly gig and tour worthy and I would reccomend it to someone who wants something different. I have tried to be as honest as possible in this reveiw because all of the reveiws of this guitar all seem to be to one extreme either love or hate. So quite simply if you play dirty music this is for you. // 8

Purchased from: local dealer

Features: I bought my 2003 Japan reissue - Fender Jag-Stang yesterday and just made a brake playing it while I was asleep. It has a basswood body/rosewood fretboard, a Vintage Strat pickup in the neckposition and a special designed humbucker near the Fender faked tune-o-matic bridge wich is installed onto the dynamic Fender vibrato. The body is a dream a new but Vintage styled body wich is formed after the form A+B=C of Jaguar+Mustang. The edges are good an' round and the body is general well formed and with his original fiesta red nice looking. I couldn't imagine a better shaping (after the Strat of course) of the body. The tuners are non-locking ones- Vintage style -like to see in the new Fender catalog!they look nice because they're thin. you got two - phase switches - for the pickups ( one for each- seperatly) I didn'T have fitting case - damn' it // 8

Sound: The guitar fits me perfectly. It sounds a lil bit like a cheap Strat but otherwise simply like a Jag-Stang! I love the sound (I'm playing punk/grunge rock) and you got lots a choices because of the 3-way switches for each pickup. It just has a little noise like every other guitar has in this price range and your flexible with it with the Vintage single coil Strat pickup you're sounding warm and bluesy just like slowhand! The humbucker could be better but is fine with distortion what this guitar is made for! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I in the lucky to say I have a very good specialist guitar dealer in my city he takes the best even out of cheap Yamaha pac's! So that they sounding better than strats and stuff he tuned off the 'low e buzz' and figured out the best wich is a good thing. And I heard a lot of bad thins about this guitar but what can you expect of guitar wich is made for cobain what means to be crushed after every second concert? // 8

Reliability & Durability: Dunno yet. // 6

Overall Impression: A nice guitar - well crafted even in japan and a pleasure to play! // 10

Jag-Stang Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: 22 medium-jumbo frets (perfect for big hands like mine!), one humbucker, one single coil, non-locking tuners, 1 volume and 1 tone knob, one 3-way selecter Switch for each pickup, and a Fender floating vibrato. 2003 made in Japan. // 10

Sound: It suits my music very well, I'm playing rock a lot right now and the humbucker at the bridge is great! The single and the neck sounds great in combination with the humbucker, it gives the guitar a very punkish sound. I'm using a 15 watt Peavey amp with a DOD Grunge Pedal and they all sound great together. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My Jag-Stang was set up almost perfectly at the factory. The action is very low and it is easier to play than a tele-caster. The strap holders could be a little bigger or less slanted on the sides because my strap keeps coming off sometimes. But otherwise, it was set up really great! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The finish is great and probably won't wear off in the near future. But as I said before, the strap buttons could be a little flatter than slanted on the sides. I could probably not take a back up for it at a gig but it's better to be save than sorry. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a great guitar and I probably buy another Jag-Stang if mine was stolen or broken. I've been playing for almost 2 years now and only one other guitar (a Hohner acoustic, also a great guitar!). I love how it sounds. I chose this guitar because I had originally wanted a Fender Mustang just like my dad had but they have been discontinued and this was the closest thing to one so I chose this and I don't regret anything. // 10

Purchased from: Back Alley Music

Features: Made in Japan 2003, 22 frets (I think) and an extremely thin neck. One single coil and one humbucker, 3 settings on each. 1 volume control and one tone. Looks like a Strat been run over and stretched out that my personal impression. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits half my style of music. It is amazing for grunge style and rock rhythm, but useless for emo. The bottom frets fail to work, and the bottom string is impossible to bend without the sound cutting out. There is no variety in the sounds, all settings seem to sound very similar, exept, the single coil sounds very 'twangy', but very similar to the humbucker. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: I think I may have just got a badly set up model of this guitar, after reading other reviews, though it is nice to play, it sounds aweful. The volume control and jack socket make an aweful fuzz if touched. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I would not use the Jag-Stang in a gig with, or without backup, simply because is lacks the ability to use heavy distortion and the pickups have a tendancy to crackle. The finish is good, would last a long while. // 6

Overall Impression: I have been playing for three years, and play mostly emo style music, this guitar is useless for this. I origionally bought the guitar due to my ex-obsession with Kurt Cobain, and this guitar is perfect for Nirvana style playing. I currenly run it through either a Roland 30watt effects amp, or a powersound pa with a Zoom 1010 pedal. If this guitar were stolen, I would scream with joy, collect the insurance, then go on eBay, and bid on a Gibson SG if I could change anything about the guitar I would change everything to mach the specs of Angus Young's Signature SG. Overall, I was not impressed with this guitar. // 6

Jag-Stang Reviewed by: Banzai, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Soundcontrol @ Manchester

Features: It's a 2004 Japanese reissue, in sonic blue. It has 22 frets, a rosewood fretboard and a maple neck. It has a solid basswood body, with a body type which is a blend of the Mustang and Jaguar (as indicated by the name). The basswood makes it a lot lighter than other guitars, and the pickup controls (two on-off-phase switches, one for each pickup) are easy to use. It also has master volume and tone controls, for the sigle coil and humbucker pickups. The Stratocaster style headstock is laminated, and has the "designed by Kurt Cobain" mark on the back. The only bad feature is the floating tremolo, which makes the whole thing go out of tune if it is so much as breathed on. Also, the body has no contours, which is annoying, but scarcely a serious problem. // 7

Sound: I play a wide variety of musical styles, and it fits most of them very well. As you might expect, it's good for distorion, however the stock pickups are not particularly high quality, and so hamper its sound. The single coil does give a fairly good low-level distortion, but I would still recommend changing the pickups. It is primarily a guitar for rhythm playing, as it is very difficlt to bend the strings a lot, has a shorter scale neck and the basswood body gives it very little sustain. But chords played on it sound wonderful, and you can Switch from powerful and meaty, to gentle and resounding with relative ease. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar, it was almost perfectly set up; the only problem I encountered was that the action was too low, causing a sizable amount of string buzz. Other than that it was completely fine, though as mentioned earlier the floating tremolo bridge winds me up endlessly. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played it live several times, and it has suffered a few knocks which are only visable upon close inspection. It does have an annoying tendancy to suddenly drop out of tune, but as long as the bridge is left alone, I have found it not to be a problem. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this is a good all round guitar, though as I said, not for lead playing. I have had it for two years, and I am very happy with it, the wonderful tone I can get from it quickly cancels out any of the flaws. If it were stolen, I would be forced to hunt down the theif and subject him/her to a horrifically painful death, as Fender have stopped production. The only thing I wish was different, is a Tune-O-Matic bridge instead of the God awful floating trem. // 8

Jag-Stang Reviewed by: joe_lol, on november 09, 2012

Features: I have one of the new Fender jagstangs the sonic blue one. Made in japan, of course. It has a Basswood body with a 22 fret rosewood neck, floating bridge with a "dynamic" vibrato, "special" Fender pickups (1 single at the neck and a humbucker at the bridge) with an on/off/phase slider, volume, and tone controls. though sometimes when strumming the slider switches catch your hand, which is a pain in the ass. Though I might say the thin neck profile on these guitars are the best I've played on any Fender. // 8

Sound: Plays punk rock and screaming metal well. However, the single coil sucks mostly so I Switch it off and just use tht humbucker. The "special" humbucker is okay. nothing special but does it's job. I use this guitar through my Vox AD50VT, and it can do pretty much anything. I played everything from Green Day and Blink 182 on it to Metallica and Slayer. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got this guitar I was basically a noob. Now I play a ESP MH400NT. The action was pretty high so I had to lower it, but that's okay seen as these guitars aren't in production anymore. The "dynamic" vibrato is quit good you can atler the action fairly easily. I bought it new off ebay and it arrived from japan with no faults. It's comfortable to play standing up. But for me the main feature that is quite excellent on theis guitar is the neck. So thin and easy to play so you can have the guitar quite low and have no problems accessing frets. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Mine is fitted with strap locks so no danger of being dropped to stage but at home has been dropped a few thimes though finish has not been damaged. Had this guitar for 2 years and all hardware still works perfectly. Have never used as prime guitar at a gig always back up, my main guitar used to be a Fender tom delonge. I prefer playing the jagstang the Seymour Duncan invader in the tom delonge is awesome. In the past I ahve considered putting one in the jag stang. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for grunge (obiviously) and punk. But for me the main feature that is quite excellent on theis guitar is the neck. So thin and easy to play so you can have the guitar quite low and have no problems accessing frets. Overall I would give it a 8/10. Since this guitar cannot be bought any longer new, it will become a rare find. Though I recomend not paying more than 300 unless you are a hardcore nirvana fan. // 8

Purchased from: Roxy Music

Features: I'm not sure what year I bought, but I got this guitar brand-new. It has 22 frets, I'm pretty sure it's a slightly short scale. The neck is Rosewood and it is very thin, both ways. The body is basswood, which I like. Mine came with an Orange finish, which is just o.k. The body style looks like a Mustang and a Jaguar collided at high speed. Overall, it's pretty small, which I like. My model has a dynamic vibrato bridge, which I hate. It has all the annoyances of a Floyd-Rose, with none of the tuning stability. It has a goofy two switches which are double-throw. I think they have somethin to do with in- and out-of-phasing the pickups. The pickups are a single coil in the neck, and the bridge is a humbucker. Mine only came with the gig bag and the whammy bar. // 8

Sound: The single coil up front is actually very well-suited for blues music, it is very rich and melodic. The humbucker is awesome, you can literally play any style from B.B. King to Slipknot and Slayer. Seriously. I've played them all, and they all come out excellently. The neck pickup is the only one that is noisy, but duh, it's a single coil. I don't think there's any amp & pedal setup that I haven't used it with. I've used it on my Fender Vibroverb, Super Amp(at the same time), Princeton Reverb, and my Hot Rod DeVille 212. No amp can make this guitar sound bad. My main pedal is a Distortion Factory, but I've used my Vox Wah, Morely Fuzz-Wah, and my Peavey Effects Processor with it. All with excellent results. I was truly amazed at the humbucker's versatility; you play it through a Metal Zone pedal, and you've got a near-perfect Slipknot tone, with awesome pinch harmonics and everything. I had to take it one step further, though, so I installed an EMG-81 in the bridge and disabled the neck pup. Metal heaven! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This instrument was set up very well from the factory. Because I tune to Drop-C and sometimes Drop-B, I use heavy bottom-skinny top strings. My only complaint is that, because of the short scale, when you drop-tune, the strings buzz, so you have to set the action uncomfortably high to stop this. The pickups were adjusted perfectly, but I made the mistake of trying to increase the gain by setting the 'bucker really close to the strings. My mistake. That resulted in a sickly, over-trebeled tone. Set it back to factory, and it was perfect. My only gripe is the high action, which is really annoying when I'm trying to play fast metal riffs. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Oh god. This guitar could take a Live show, and then some. I have: thrown this guitar around a room, onto concrete, against my amps, pulled a Vaughan and stood on the horns and yanked up on the headstock, dropped it while playing behind my head; all to be met with with only minor tuning issues. This guitar is truly built like a brick s#ithouse. The hardware is top-notch. My only recommendation is that you use cords with the 90-degree angle on the end. If you *drop* the guitar on it's face with a straight plug, you will sever your cord, quickly ending your reign of terror. Also, I have never broken a string while playing. Something about the dynamic bridge, just keeps 'em together. I would never use a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: My style has ranged from Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan to Slipknot and Job for a Cowboy. The guitar simply suits every style. I've been playing for about 3 years now. If it were stolen, I would find and kill the motherfxcker that stole it. It is my only good metal guitar right now. I love the sound and look of it. I hate the action. My favorite feature is the EMG-81 that I dropped in it. I just wish it had a regular scale, fast, Ibanez-like neck. That would be the perfect guitar. // 9

Jag-Stang Reviewed by: Mad-Mike_J83, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar Shoppe

Features: Time for a change of pace in my gear reviews, instead of the cheesy axes so horribly chintzy you can't help but love them, let's get onto the mere goddesses of the guitar world...in this case, the much maligned (and misunderstood) Fender Jag-Stang, or in this case, my customized from the start main axe of 10+ years (as of 2010). - Made in Japan in 1996, Fender's 50th Anniversary per Gold Sticker, this seems to be a common year for the original Jag-Stang models. - 22 Vintage Frets, 24" Scale. The neck is similar to a 60's Fender "A" Neck width offered on the Mustang and Jaguar at the time, which was a very skinny profile. It's supposedly modeled on Kurt's 72' Competition Mustang (as seen in the Smells like Teen Spirit video). - Basswood Jag-Stang Body, Essentially a trimmed down Jaguar with a Mustang treble side horn, more extreme tail angle, and Mustang routing with a humbucker rout at the bridge. Painted with a thick 2mm coat of Sonic Blue, no contours. - Fender Dynamic (Mustang) Vibrato tailpiece with floating Mustang style bridge, both have been used to hell and back. - EMG Pickups, SA in the neck, 81 in the bridge, both older models, running off a single 9 volt in the control cavity. The electronics are also farther modified by turning the bridge pickup Switch into a pickup selector, and the neck pickup Switch into a "tone switch" with 2 filters wired to it to get some oddball sounds, I may be changing this eventually. Treble bleed on master volume which I can use to give the guitar a more single-coil like timbre (very Tele-like) when needed. 1 Vol, 1 Tone, pickup select, tone switch, that's all there is to it. - I've had this guitar through 3 sets of tuning machines thus far, the original Ping Kluson copies wore out (like they usually do), then were replaced with some Schallers because that's all that was available at the time and I could not do without my main axe. Now it has Tone-Pros Klusons with conversion bushings installed. And I got this with the apparently super rare hardshell case. I've never found this guitar lacking, it has pretty much what I need 97% of the time, the rest is covered by similar guitars with very different tonal personalities. // 9

Sound: There were three reasons I bought this guitar.... 1.) I like Jaguars and Mustangs 2.) I wanted a "sleeper" shred machine at the time 3.) I found out that the Fender Dynamic Vibrato is a damn good trem unit Now I know what you're thinking. "But dude, it's a cutesy pastel blue surf style guitar with a non-locking trem". Well We'll talk about that later, let's talk about reason #2, the "Sleeper" of this guitar. I compared this guitar to a stock Jag-Stang and it was like night and day. The stock one was fairly low output, and kind of lacked any sort of "soul" to the tone, there was a certain welcoming warmth with a touch of menace missing from the stock one that I liked about the EMG'd guitar, which will be the guitar I'll be talking about here. Back in the olden days, I ran this thing through a lot of faceless solid state crap amps that I made sound good via the magic of cheesy 80's digital effects boards found at pawn shops for a few bananas and usually given to me for a b-day present from bandmates. Back then, my sound was more of a Pantera type sound, very cold, very solid state, but I had a lot of trouble getting the volume up loud enough with all those solid state combos and pedals...that is, till I stopped being scared of blowing up speakers. And indeed I have. This guitar has killed Gorillas, Peaveys, and Epiphones from 3 hours of playing heavy metal. It's fused voice coils to speaker magnets. Oh sure, she may be custey and blue, but this guitar will KILL anything with a speaker wattage lower than 60 watts and a general wattage below 75 when run at stage volume. The only amps that have survived this beast for a long time at loud volumes are a Mesa Stiletto, and a Bugera 333XL, and the Mesa almost died by it's hands. The combination of the naturally scooped midranged 24" scale and the EMG pickups that throw out volts, not millivolts to the preamp makes this the most brutal guitar in my collection. Clean the guitar still sounds gritty in the bridge position, and on a good tube amp cranked, like a plexi or the clean channel on my 333XL, yields a really good Van-Halen like crunch sound. Very warm, thick, yet tight and punchy. The Neck is the yang here, being totally clean, and almost acoustic-like. Mixing both pickups gives a bizarre halfway-between a Tele with 2 pickups on, and a Strat on the middle+bridge setting, both of which are favorites of mine, volume control and pick attack REALLY make a difference in this setting. If I pick more towards the neck, it veers more into Strat territory. Perfect for me since those are all my favorite clean sounds in one guitar. The bridge pickup distorted sounds like your typical EMG 81 with an enhanced bass and treble response thanks to the short 24" scale paired with the high breakover angle bridge/tailpiece bringing those freqencies out more. The sound has the lows of a Les Paul and the highs of a Strat, with more power added to them, but a little less midrange, so having the mids up on the amp is important or the guitar won't cut enough on solos. With a flat EQ (all knobs at 5) on the 333XL gives the guitar a very "Les Paul + Marshall" type sound, but a tad bit smoother due to the rounded off midrange. Both pickups on distorted gives a very full sound that works more for classic rock in my book, while the neck pickup has more of a Stevie Ray Vaughn on a Jazzmaster kind of sound to it, it has the Jazzmaster's lows and highs (though not as bright), but Number One's general timbre, probably due to my amp setup, which is strange as the pickup is supposed to be strat-like, so I can only think this has to do with the positioning of the pickup and it's angle that gives it that similarity to a Jazzmaster. A VERY bluesy pickup, and keeps a nice tight, but thick grit when playing rhythm on it. I'll give this guitar a 9, it has all my favorite tones in the right places. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Here's where this guitar finally falls short on something. The Jag-Stang, as we all know, has it's inherent flaws, but they are not so hard to deal with. The first problem I came across was the low E string saddle lost it's intonation screw as it was too loose, and even then, when the screw was there, the string would rattle against it and buzz. Just as I planned to cut it shorter, it was lost, and I got a 1964 Fender Mustang bridge saddle screw put in it's place, rusty and all. It's still there after all these years, and the guitar can't buzz anymore. Also, the bridge kept lowering itself, I fixed that with a light bit of 3M Scotch tape on the threads to gum them up a bit, it's been perfect ever since. The second was the neck joint, I've noticed on most of the Jag-Stang's I've seen the neck looks a little off-center. I can only attribute this to the strange body shape being hard to get a definite center-line on, but I found it, and fixed the issue, my neck is 100% straight now, with the help of a cut up celluloid guitar pick cleverly placed in the right spot. Another small one is the control cavity is slightly wonky from the control plate inside, but it does not matter at all to me because nobody sees that anyway, and it has no effect on anything. Other than that, the guitar is pretty flawless, and one of the best parts is the most important, the fretwork and setup, even now, with worn to hell frets, this guitar can have the action cranked all the way down to the fretboard and STILL plays without any buzzing on any frets. With a 7.16" Radius, this is pretty amazing. So I'll give it a 7.5-8 for this category because the few issues were relatively minor and easy to fix for next to nothing, plus I enjoy working on guitars anyway so it's not much of a bother. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is the toughest guitar I've ever owned. In the 10 years I've had it, it's only ever failed me ONCE, and that was my own fault (shoddy Radio Shack input jack). It's only ever broken a total of about 5 strings (almost all of them being the D string). The hardware is the most impressive part, in particular, the vibrato unit. I'm not like most Mustang/Jag-Stang players, I use the whammy bar, a lot, and very hard, think Brad Gillis/Edward Van-Halen/Kerry King/Alex Laiho stuff. Even now, with well worn knife edges, saddles that have the chrome worn down to the bare brass, and a foreign thread Stratocaster bar to replace the original Mustang bar as the set-screw stripped after years of faithful service, it STILL stays in perfect tune despite all the flutters, dive-bombs, squealing, and other wild Dimebag-esque treatment I give it. I've only ever heard of one Floyd Rose that has lived through all that...and that's the one on Brad Gillis's red 1962' Fender Strat. I took off the original strap buttons, I never use them, I prefer Schaller Strap Locks, which eventually have to get reinstalled anyway since I'm always moving on stage, and they tend to come loose. The one thing not holding up well is the finish. It's been chipping and cracking off. The finish is almost all gone on the edge where my arm sits, there's some buckle rash forming on the back. Some people call it mojo/character, others keep telling me I should get the guitar repainted, but I'm one of the Mojo guys myself. I figure if it wears through to the wood, then it will be time for a refinish, probably in the same color. I'd say it's lost a TON of finish in the past 2-3 years of playing live. All but the finish is tough, I'll give it an 8. // 8

Overall Impression: These days, I'm all over the place genre-wise. In one band, so far we have funk, metal, punk, ska, psychedelic, and New Wave songs of our own all in one band (though they all have a consistent thread that ties them together stylistically). This guitar is still the #1 10 years later, despite the fact it shares a double gig bag with a Mustang, Jaguar, and a custom home-built Jazzmaster. I've been playing 16 years, and honestly, I think I've found the "holy grail" for me guitar-wise. Also, NOBODY steals this guitar. It stays on me all the time, I never let it out of my sight when it's out live. Some people think I'm crazy, but I know they don't understand, so I don't care. Remember Ray Charles in the Blues Brothers and the kid trying to steal the Strat, just think of him if he were a huge tall guy with a bad temper. I almost lost it once, almost had to get mean to get it back. Compared to the stock ones, this guitar has something magical about it that the other's don't have, and I can't describe it. A lot of guitarists find that one guitar. Billy Gibbons says Pearly Gates is his benchmark, this guitar is mine. Even then, they are all good. // 9

Jag-Stang Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar center (used)

Features: My Jag-Stang is a 2005 reissue. It was made in japan like most Jag-Stangs. It has 22 frets and the fretboard is rosewood. It is solid top and the finish is fiesta' red. It has a similar face of a guitar like a Tele. Its flat top I guess you could say. The bridge is called a "Dynamic vibrato". The controls you are given are two switches. One Switch for the humbucker and one Switch for the single coil. I'm am not sure about the tuners but I think they are just Fender. I got a case with my purcjse which knocked off about $200.00. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my musical style perfectly. I play grungey modern rock metal mostly (I play a lot of other styles too such as blues etc.) I play through a Behringer v-tone 30 watt amp. I use a crybaby wah and the presets on my amp. It is not very noisy like buzz sounds but it can be very loud. I can get a nice clean jazz sound all the way to a crunchy metal sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up the guitar pretty good but the action was a little high (which I fixed) The pickups are great. There was no flaws at all in the guitar itself. It did have a couple of dings and scratches but I knew it would considering it was used. The action is really good now that I fixed it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing. The hardware is great. I did put strap-locks on it though (but the original buttons were good). I would use this guitar without a backup Live No Doubt. The finish is very good and will last a long time. I can depend on this guitar always. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definitely a good match for my kind of music which I told you above. I have been playing for two years and my other gear is an Ovation Acoustic and a Epiphone SG Special. No there is not something I wished I would have asked before buying this product. If it were stolen I would by another one. I love everything about the guitar. I really like the pickups on this guitar also. I did not compare it to other products. I think this guitar has everything I need. // 10

Jag-Stang Reviewed by: mazerfaka, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I have the fiesta red, made in 1996 in Japan, has an anniversary sticker on the back of the headstock. I think the body is made of basswood, not sure about the neck but it has a rosewood fretboard on it. The neck is the pearl of this guitar, it's the best, the neck is absolutely perfect. The best neck I ever played, it's kinda small and it fits my hand perfect. The electronics are passive, one hubucker and one singlecoil, one volume and one tone, a pick up selector and a Switch to get it "out of phase". // 8

Sound: I play a lot of punk, hardcore and easycore, I had do tweak my distortion pedal to get the sound I wanted from this guitar, the humbucker in the Bridge dosn't sound that good in my opinion but the singlecoil did sound fantastic. I took everything out of the guitar and installed a Gibson Dirty Fingers humbucker and now it sounds awesome, I LOVE the dirty fingers in a basswood body, makes the guitar sound awesome as hell. Stock = 7/10 Dirty fingers = 10/10 // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It's pre-owned so the set up was good. The low E string buzzzz a bit and it wasn't intonated. I don't care for the "cigar tube" either, and it was kind of loose and made the guitar out of tune easily, but I made the springs tighter... Would love to se an Re-issue with the same pickups and quality as Kurt Cobain had. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems solid, played a bunch of shows with it, been really rowdy, it's been falling off, thrown into stuff and had much sweat on it, seems to stand anything. And I don't care about the finish or anything like that, I have a bunch of scrapes and dings on it. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a good match since I changed the electronics but as stock this guitar is not for me. I been playing for quite sometime now and I own a ES 333 (With dirty fingers) and a Hagstrm with EMG 81x humbucker. I love the attitude, and having something that most people haven't seen, everybody asks me "is it a jaguar? Is it a mustang?". I hate the Low E buzz and the sound of the stock humbucker. But the neck is pure awesomeness! // 9

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I had purchased a 1996 fiesta red Fender jagstang made in Japan. It has a single coil neck pick up and a humbucker. It also has a solid basswood body. Volume and tone control, two switches to control combinations of pickups, Fender dynamic vibrato, and a beautiful pearloid pickguard. A 22 fret neck made out of rosewood. // 7

Sound: I was acctually supprised with the sound quality, the neck pickup sounds fantastic but the humbucker not so much. The humbucker has sort of a muddy sound, but I play alot of grunge music so it suits me. And I am using a Line 6 digital amp. Again this guitar has sort of an acquired sound if you will. You have to have a certain style to enjoy it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The overall finish of this guitar is indeed beautiful. The neck was perfectly aligned no problems there Bridge was perfect. No flaws that I can see great finish love that fiesta red color. It also has that classic Fender headstock that the 50s and 60s strats have. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar since 2005 and bring it to many gigs and believe me it's had it's fair share of beatings and still looks great. This guitar is definitely gig worthy you won't have a problem with it screwing you over. So yeah a major plus on "gigworthyness". // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar totally fits my music style. I've been playing it for six years and its still in great condition. But the whole guitar is stock nothing has been changed whatsoever. Many people like to put seymore duncans in but I do not recommend doing that it will change the overall sound of the guitar. The thing I don't like about it is the vibrato it makes my guitar get out of tune easy. The things I love about it are, I love the shorter scale neck and that fiesta red color. I think Fender really outdid it self. // 10

Jag-Stang Reviewed by: GrantMcDocherty, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: 2006, Crafted in Japan Fender Jag-Stang in Fiesta red with a polyuretahne finish. Bass wood body, with a Strat in the neck and a humbucker slanted at the bridge. The controls are just basic Mustang controls, the most notable feature of the guitar is the extended butt. // 9

Sound: I play mostly Pink Floyd'ie Dire Straits'ie John Mayer'ie sounding music, with a love for simple clean sounding acoustic playing. I play through a Vox DA15 occasionally with a Zoom G2 pedal, On the right combinations of the pickups the guitar sounds very good, but on some it sounds noisy, and very muddy and unclear. The neck pickup sounds loud and clear as a bell, but unfortunately its the humbucker that's lacking and just sounds muddy and washed out. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got the guitar it needed the nut filed down to stop the G-string buzzing. I never got to experience the factory settings as it was set up in the shop. The guitar was in perfect condition aesthetically although in my experience it has proven easy to damage, but it does look very pretty. When I first got it I thought everything about the guitar was hideous, but after a few years its grown on me, and I now adore the shape, similarly I hated the fiesta red. I now have other guitars in that colour, it just grew on me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: A year or 2 after I got the guitar some wiring come undone in the tone controls, I took the parts apart to examine it to discover that the wire's are tiny, and very, very fragile looking. It has since been repaired, but if anymore wiring comes loosing I'm going to rewire it all with better wire. Because of this I do not think it is a very durable guitar combined with how easy it is to mark, this isnt helped by the elong-gated butt which is easy to forget about, lean it against a couch for a second and wham, another ding in the finish. The strap buttons are bomb proof and the actual hardware seems good, apart from the wiring. // 3

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for around 8 years, and this guitar plays a lot of the music I like well, I have 4 guitars, and prefer this over my Gibson SG Special. Something just feels right about it. Unfortunately I cannot say the same about the electronic, I'm constantly worried that its going to break again, and would like to swap out the humbucker for a less muddy rock sound, and possibly replace the neck with a Fender gold Lace sensor. // 7

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014