Jaguar Baritone Special HH Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Jaguar Baritone Special HH
This Jaguar is a 27-inch scale guitar. It has a solid-top alder body with a beautiful maple neck/rosewood fingerboard. The back of the neck actually has a wonderful gloss finish, as well.
 9.6
 9.8
 9.3
review (1) pictures (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Jaguar Baritone Special HH Reviewed by: baritowned, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Sam-Ash

Features: Ok, I figured since there's not a review for this bad boy on here that I would go ahead and write one. I believe it was either made in '08 or '09, purchased new in march of '10. For those of you not familiar with Baritone guitars, they are generally a longer scale length than a Standard guitar. I believe Baritone scale starts at 26.5 inches, and they are generally tuned B-b. This Jaguar, however is a 27-inch scale guitar. It has a solid-top alder body with a beautiful maple neck/rosewood fingerboard. The back of the neck actually has a wonderful gloss finish, as well. It has what Fender calls an "Adjusto-matic" Bridge, basically the same as the bridge on a Les Paul or SG. The pickups are passive MIJ Dragster Humbuckers, and it has Vintage tuners. As for accessories, it came with a deluxe gig bag, manual, and for some reason a whammy bar. The guitar doesn't have a trem, but for some reason it came with a whammy. I'm giving it a 9 because the Vintage tuners don't accept Baritone strings very well. // 9

Sound: I play any kind of modern rock/metal that sounds good at the moment, this can range from Linkin Park to Meshuggah. I mainly bought this guitar because Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, and Staind play baritones, and my Strat sounds sloppy going that low. I use it on an Orange CR20LDX, and a Peavey Vypyr 75. It sounds better on the Orange, however. Combined with the Orange and a decent distortion pedal (I use an XT-2 or an ML-2), I can get BB or Chevelle's sound almost perfectly, but to play Staind, it would need slightly hotter pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar from Sam-Ash, I noticed two things. One, it was tuned in standard, and Two, it had .09-.46 strings on it. After swapping the strings with .13-.62's, I did some research. For whatever reason, Fender shipped it with the .09's on it. I will say one thing about the string gauges on this though, I have tried .14-.68 as well, it definitely likes the .13's better. Other than that, the guitar was perfect. It didn't need set up, and had no fret buzz when bought. I kind of wonder how many people left the .09's on it though... // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have extreme confidence that it would withstand a show, it is actually one of (if not) my most reliable guitar(s). Everything about it is solid, it's the best MIJ that I have ever played, and has far more superior quality than the other MIJ's that I have seen. I have a story about an MB-5 bass, but I'll save that for it's review when I write it. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I stated earlier, I bought this guitar for a specific purpose, and it has definitely lived up to my expectations. I have been playing for about four or five years, and this is definitely one of my favorite guitars. If it was stolen, I would hunt the person down and put them in a coma. If it were lost... Well, I doubt I would lose it. When I was searching for a suitable baritone, I was looking at this and a PRS Mike Mushok SE. I never got to compare them, but after buying a Mushok, they are about equal, except the Mushok has slightly hotter pickups. Overall, this guitar is a piece of art. If you're looking to get a decent Baritone for around $500-$600 used, get this and skip over the Epiphone Les Paul Baritone. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ American Telecaster Plus Deluxe Version II 8.2 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014