Jazzmaster - Lee Ranaldo Signature Review

9.3
 8.8
 9.8
review (1) pictures (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Jazzmaster - Lee Ranaldo Signature Reviewed by: Just2Rusty, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

Features: This guitar was manufactured in 2010, in the USA. It features 21 Vintage style frets with pearl inlays spanning across a 25.5" rosewood fretboard. Unique features of this guitar include Satin Lacquer Finish, Satin Black Painted Headstock, Single Master Volume with Black Speed Knob, Mustang Style Bridge, Re-Voiced Wide Range Humbucking pickups and a Black Anodized Aluminum Pickguard. The guitar does not feature tone knobs. Which, with this guitar I feel there wouldn't be a use for one anyway. The guitar came with Vintage Jazzmaster case, which included a Strap, Cable, Sonic Youth 'Zine, (Little magazine) Special Jaguar/Jazzmaster String Set, Stickers and about 1000 little manuals and information note things. // 8

Sound: First off, this guitar can generate any sound you desire. The sky is quite literally the limit. Personally I play Experimental or Alternative styles, favoring the music of Sonic Youth (obviously), Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, My Bloody Valentine and bands like that. But I also play Classic Rock, Blues and some Jazz. And this guitar can handle them all quite well. As opposed to the Seymour Duncan pickups of the Thurston Moore model, the Lee Ranaldo has two Fender Wide Range humbucking pickups that are re-voiced to original Vintage specs, so that this Jazzmaster will sound like Jazzmasters did in their 1960s heyday. I run it through my Fender Frontman 212R amplifier, which compliments the guitars warm, clean sounding pickups. But can also scream with feedback and distortion when I want it to. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is decent, although I think eventually I might get it professionally set up. Everything else is spot on. Bridge is well routed and all that. So far I haven't noticed any flaws, and I don't expect there will be any. All the frets are filed down perfectly, the finish on the wood was done really well and looks great. Tuners are tight and keep my strings in-tune, even after excessive whammy abuse, nut's great. To be honest I was really astonished with how perfect this guitar is. Everything's really well done. And don't just take my word for it either, if you're within capabilities of playing one of these guitars, do so and dare question me. You'll see that you agree with 99% perfection. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar's definitely solid. I expect it to last a very, very long time. Strap buttons are solid and I could depend on this guitar to last me through any gig, in any circumstance. Don't think I'm being bias either, take it from me. This is a guitar you can really trust. I'm sure if for WHATEVER reason it was to sustain a dropping or something of the sorts it would be hardly damaged at all. // 8

Overall Impression: In my years of playing I've never handled a guitar as beautiful as this one. The sound is really something, and along with the features for me it's simply perfect. I love the feel of the guitar, it's nice and light and the bigger scale body works great for me. If this guitar was ever stolen I'd probably kill myself as there's no replacing it. It's definitely one of a kind. Prior to purchasing I compared this guitar to the Thurston Moore Signature Jazzmaster, and though similar, this guitar appealed to me more, I felt the sound just suited what I wanted with it's re-voiced pickups and the Mustang bridge was a must for me. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014