Jim Root Telecaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Jim Root Telecaster
The Jim Root electric guitar is a truly modern Fender Tele built for big sounds! As lead guitarist for Slipknot and Stone Sour Jim Root is one of today's leading heavy guitarists. This Telecaster guitar from the Artist Series was a labor of love for both Jim and Fender combining several unique features to give it an identity all its own.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.8
 Features: 9.4
 9.3
 9.4
 9.1
reviews (5) pictures (2) 158 comments vote for this gear:
Jim Root Telecaster Reviewed by: dandy4, on november 09, 2012

Features: Made in '08, this guitar has locking tuners, maple neck and fretboard, EMG 81b/60n, string through bridge, 3 way toggle, one master volume knob. Mine is satin black with a white pickguard, so pretty. All of these are MIM, but the quality is great, even though mine is a "blem" code(I never found the blemish). Also, a little bit of the heal where the neck bolts on is carved, very nice if you're a shredder(I'm a chugger). It comes with a sweet ass case. really cool, great quality. However, I wish it had more knobs for a little more control, but oh well, just play I wide open all the time. // 9

Sound: Sounds great! I play mostly metal(I know, cliche) and this thing gets it done. The EMG 81(when compared to my ESP viper) is pretty similar, but the Tele has more warmth and is less harsh than the ESP. The EMG 60 is so nice. It is a lot warmer then the 85, but probably not as good for lead stuff. I think because of the larger body. I am used to a rosewood fretboard, but I'm warming up to this one. This is a good all-round guitar and even better for high gain stuff. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory Setup = Shit. I took it out of the box, started to tune it and broke a string. After that, it seemed that every string rattled. Lucky, I know a good luthier and he had it setup with XL 12-52( wound d, pussies) and a great action. I haven't looked back since, plays great, sounds great, I would totally bone this guitar if it was a chick. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Very solid. Seems like it would last as long as you took care of it, and not even that good of care. You could really depend on this guitar if you play Live a lot. I don't, but it just seems like the construction is better than my ESP. I had to replace the strap buttons the day I got my ESP, they were so lose. I don't feel like I have anything to worry about with this guitar. Just tune it and go. // 7

Overall Impression: EMGs = Metal. I love the differences between this guitar and my ESP. Both are good guitars, but the Tele just seems to have more. It is heavier, so you get a better sound, but it wont give you back problems, like a LP. It looks so cool. If were stolen, I would want to get another one, but I would have to finish paying this one off first. When compared to other guitars with EMGs OE, it is great. I would defiantly recommend trying to get the "blem" one, cause if you can't, I would recommend getting a high end ESP LTD EC1000. it's the same thing, little cheaper, but way more color variety. On the hole, a wonderful axe. Anything that I wish it had? Lasers. // 9

Jim Root Telecaster Reviewed by: jblittlefield, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash Music

Features: Mahogany body, maple C shape neck, ebony fingerboard, 22 Dunlop 6100 jumbo frets, EMG 60 (neck) and 81 (bridge) pickups, Fender Deluxe locking tuners, black 6-saddle HardTail bridge with string-thru body. Black hardware, master volume knob and 3-way pickup switch, flat body finish (white with black pickguard), 25.5" scale, black tweed case with red plush interior. // 10

Sound: I run this through a Crate VTX212B 100W amplifier (as well as a Vox AD100VT 2X12). Effects include (in order): ISP Decimator, MXR SuperComp, Metal Muff with Top Boost, DigiTech Grunge, MXR Carbon Copy, Boss CH-1, and BBE Sonic Stomp. I run a Boss GE-7 and another ISP Decimator through the effects loop of the Crate (which is the amp I use for most high gain sounds). Guitar sounds awesome through both amps. The clean sound is amazing and the distortion is just what you'd expect from the EMGs. At low gain settings I only use the first decimator to eliminate finger noise and any microphonic sound (works like a charm w/o sucking any tone). The second decimator keeps my distorted sounds pristine. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Near perfect set-up, the guitar had a Standard set of 0.09s which I replaced with a set of EB regular slinkys (0.10-46). Tweaking was minimal. Intonation was dead on as was pickup adjustment. Had to tighten the input jack and tension on tuners as well as the pickup selector, but nothing major. No tension rod adjustment was required. Finish was flawless. Frets were well-dressed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Spent 6 months of Live gigs w/o a hitch. Hardware seems durable. No tuning/intonation issues. Strap buttons are fine. I never gig w/o a backup regardless of the guitar I'm using, but in a pinch I would. Finish has held up so far, but I'm anal about wiping it down after use and cleaning it regularly. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing over 20 years. I play blues, classic rock, '80s metal, grunge/alternative, and a bit of numetal. This guitar can handle it all. I also own an Ibanez AFS75 Artcore hollowbody (awesome guitar), a highly modified Squire Affinity Stratocaster, and an Ovation 1861-LX. Amps include the aforementioned Crate and Vox amps as well as a Roland Micro Cube, Hartke AC-75, and a Kustom Quad 100W 2X12. This is my main guitar and the best I've ever owned. I actually bought it on a whim after reading a Jim Root interview! If it were lost or stolen I'd definitely replace it without blinking an eye. In fact, I'll probably pick up a second one to keep in drop D. // 10

Jim Root Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: G.A.K.

Features: I wanted a simple but reliable guitar and that's what I got. Although Mexican made, it's built with true American quality, the neck is extremely comfortable, although the frets initially a little sharp, very reminiscent of a Charvel. EMG pickups are not as I expected, as they still retain a lot of the guitar's natural tone without being over the top. The Bridge is very tough and with the heavier gauge strings I use, not one has slipped from the tailpiece or the locking tuners. A very stable and comfortable guitar. // 9

Sound: I mainly play classic hard rock and blues, but I also play some thrash and even some hardcore stuff, through a variety of amps, particularly an Engl Blackmore. The amp and guitar are a perfect combination, a real "plug in and play" setup. The pickups make the guitar sound even more compressed through the already very compressed amp, but this helps as I like to have lots of controlled feedback and sustain. The pickups aren't as dynamic as a PAF for example, but still clean up very well if you roll back the volume. But the guitar also sounds great through my little Fender practice amps and even my Bassman 4x10. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I gigged it the night I got it, and nothing broke or went out of tune. Everything was set up very well from the factory, in the two months or so of having it I haven't touched anything except raise the action slightly and adjust the truss rod for my heavier strings. The finish scratches easily and is starting to fade ever so slightly in certain areas, but that's why I bought a guitar with this specific finish! A guitar needs its character. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar sounds and holds up great in a live situation, in recording and in rehearsing. It doesn't squeal or anything like that. The hardware is very solid and has taken a fair beating already from my heavy hands. The guitar also came with strap locks so no worries about dropping it! // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar suits my style(s) of playing very well, very comfortable, powerful and LOUD. I'm saving for another as a backup, but I suppose I don't really need one anyway, it's not going to break on me any time soon. The one time I've broken a string so far, I just popped another one in, gave it a couple of stretches, tightened up the nut and the song continued. You won't regret buying this if you're a rock 'n' roll guitar player, even my beloved Les Paul is getting neglected at the moment! // 9

Jim Root Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: The Jim Root Telecaster was made in 2007, it was made in mexico which surprised me. It has a 22 jumbo frets which on this guitar are very comfortable, it has a thin and wide neck. Maple neck with ebony fingerboard. There are 2 finishes, flat white with black pickguard or a flat black finished with white pickguard but I have the flat white finish because it simply in my opinion just looks nicer. Obviously its a tele body. It has a Standard bridge. Active 81 and 60 EMG pickups. It has a single volume knob and a 3 way selector. It has locking tuners I'm not sure which make but they are awesome. A hardcase Fender case with it without ordering one. // 9

Sound: It suits my music style very well because I am a metal head and a huge slipknot and stone sour fan. Which is mainly why I got it because its jim roots signature tele from slipknot/stone sour. But... I say but because it can suit any music style I promise you. Switch in accoustic mode on your amp and it sounds exactly the same. But if I had to say then I would recomend it highly to hard rock/metal players. I use a Marshall AVT valvestate 2000 which is a 150 watt amp and I use a Boss metal core pedal. All them combined you have the perfect sound. It has a rich warm deep sound, but I have the treble and bass quite high and it sounds perfect for my liking but if your playing slipknot then its awesome for those fat bass sounds they have on the CD's. You practicly make it to any sound you want and will still sound amazing. As far as squeels go there's not much you can do there. But pinch harmonics quite easily accomplished with this guitar and they sound the tits on this model. But there is so much variety in terms on sounds. I could fiddle with this for hours and get any number of sounds with it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was in Standard tuning but it was in tune and sounded perfect. I changed the string because I play on 11 - 12 guage strings so I changed them after 2 weeks of playing in standard. The pickups were set up fine and still are to this very day. And I've had this guitar for just about a year and I've played on it everyday. Every thing was in the right place and I have had to replace or change anything. As far as I know this guitar doesnt't contain any flaws. Never ever had any problems with it. I've dropped it like 3 times and I was amazed to find out nothing was wrong with it. NOT EVEN A SCRATCH! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would withstand live playing very easily you could jump around all you want and the stap would even come off. The hardware will last as I know because I dropped it on laminate wood flooring 3 times and so such sign as a scratch. I would use it in a gig without backup because simply its fantastic. The finish will last without a doubt. I would personally give anybody money that has a jim root tele and is scratched without purposly doing it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from a little bit of Indie to heavy metal/metalcore. This suits me perfectly its a great match for any type of music! It looks like a Standard tele apart from it has EMG's and a Standard bridge but I play lead and so much solo's on it. Its just simply amazing for lead playing as it was built for a lead player. But if you play rythm its also perfect for that aswell. I've been playing for round about 2 year I own a Standard squire Strat which is rubbish but it got the job done back in the day. I also own a Marshall avt 150 watt amp and a Boss metal core pedal. there's nothing I would have asked before buying because there's nothing bad about it or anything to be asked. If it was stolen I would seriously cry for about 3 days straight without sleeping. I would miss my GCSE exams due to depression, then hunt down the person who stole it. Torture them untill they thought death was better than being tortured then kill them. that's how seriously good this guitar is. I chose this guitar mainly cos I'm a massive slipknot fan and also stone sour. And jim root is one of my biggest idols apart from joey jordison. But when I found out you can pretty much play anything on this guitar I had to get it. And it was cheaper than I thought it would be so I didn't hesitate in doing it. The only thing I wish it had was 24 frets but that's it. I'm not kidding around when I say this is quite truely could be the best guitar that was ever made and your missing out if you don't even simply try one out in a shop cos its so comfortable. // 10

Jim Root Telecaster Reviewed by: Easey669, on november 09, 2012

Features: 22 frets Mahogany Body Satin Finish Tele-style Bridge Agtive EMG Pickups way selector Switch And 1 volume control Schaller locking Tuners Free Tweed Case Very Good specs for the price very happy. // 10

Sound: I play pretty much everything, I really bought this guitar assuming it was for heavy metal, but after running it though an amp I discovered how verstile the pickups can be. Think Razorlight - Slipknot. It sounds beautiful, has great sustain and a lovely tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Intonation was ever so slightly off, the action is great will probably lower it for preference, but great anyway, everthing is great love the colour, can't find any flaws overall on the guitar. Would be 9.8 but no decimals so will give a 9. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seems very durable, I would gig with no backup with this but I would not recommend it, even the greatest guitar ever made should not be gigged without a back up but I can see anything going wrong. The finish I think will last if you take care of it, just don't leve it in blistering heat or the rain and you shopuld get along just fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I've had this guitar 3 hours and I have fallen in love wth it it will easily replace my Fender Strat and my Columbus les paul, wich are both very good guitars. I just wish it came with straplocks already fitted it has everthing else and I would rather they added 20 onto the guitar than fit them myself and risk something going wrong but even the les pauls wich are triple the cost have them so I can't complain, this is a great guitar it looks great and plays like a beast. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014