Joe Strummer Telecaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Joe Strummer Telecaster
Designed in cooperation with the Strummer estate, the guitar has a highly distressed road-worn treatment that emulates the worn-to-the-wood layers of gray auto primer and flat black spray paint he made famous. It also features a Revolution Rock engraved neckplate and a limited edition art customization kit that includes Strummer-inspired stencils, stickers and graphics by designer Shepard Fairey.
 8.4
 8.6
 8.1
review (1) 56 comments vote for this gear:
Joe Strummer Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: What can I say, it's a Joe Strummer Signiture Telecaster made in 2007. From what I can tell it's a replica of a Standard '60s tele, alder body, 21-fret rosewood fretboard, C shaped neck, Vintage Tele pickups, Vintage Fender tuning heads and road worn finish on hardware and body, all the borin stuff! It also comes with a travel case and a really cool customisation kit. Mint! // 9

Sound: This guitar is perfect for the music that I play, punk. The frets are chunky so they are perfect for playing chords but it's a bit difficult for playing lead style (but I'm shit at that anyway). I play it through a Fender FM212DSP amp with no effects. This guitar pretty much sounds like a Standard Tele so, with distortion, it has that perfect bright twang to cut through the bass, but it also gives a deep crunch with the neck pickup. It also plays well on a clean setting but I don't play it clean often. Not much in the way of versatility. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Now the fun bit, The setup was perfect from when I took it out of its box. The strings provided were crap so I put some ernie ball super slinkys on and it sung. The pickups are perfectly positioned. The finish on the body and neck is amazing. If you've seen the pictures of it on the net, it looks the same but is so much more beautiful in person. The wear on the neck is fantastic! And is worn were your fingers are actually placed when playing the chords. Even the hardware on it is aged and rusted, I put a brown leather Vintage style strap on it and aged that as well and it looks the part. If you've ever seen pics of Joes actual guitar you'll know that this is just the basic guitar without any stickers or stencils, that's where the customisation kit comes in. It has replicas of the stickers actually on joes guitar and I think that in skilled hand this guitar can be made to look even better, especially if the pickguard is resprayed black (instead of the mint green one put on the guitar itself). But I think it looks good without the kit as well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'd use this guitar Live without a backup any day. I'm inbetween bands at the minute and I haven't actually used it Live before but I will deffo use it as my main axe onstage. It's very solidly built and is actually lighter than the Standard tele so I deffo think it'll withstand anything that comes it's way. It's already very aged so any scrapes or dints can only add to it looks. And just imagine walking onstage with that guitar round your neck! // 8

Overall Impression: This thing is perfect for what I play and looks the part too. I've been playing guitar/bass for bout 4 years and I also own a Fender Mike Dirnt P-Bass, a Fender Standard Telecaster (my baby and backup), an old Court acoustic and the before mentioned amp. If it was lost/stolen I wouldn't even think about getting another, it would be an automatic reaction! But to summarise the guitar is a fantastic looking, playing rhythm machine. And it provides access to the relic Fender instruments at a steal of only 700! I short buy it (or don't 'cause I want mine to be the only one). // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 08/01/2014