Koa Stratocaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Koa Stratocaster
The Special Edition Koa Stratocaster guitar marks the first time that Fender used exotic and highly sought-after koa wood in an instrument outside Custom Shop models. The guitar features a koa veneer atop a basswood body, with a Light Burst Rosewood finish, modern C-shaped birds-eye maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, Seymour Duncan alnico Pro II pickups, a two-point synchronized tremolo, and pearl pickguard and dot inlays.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 9.5
 9.4
 8.6
reviews (2) 30 comments vote for this gear:
Koa Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Music Room

Features: As said in the previous review, this guitar was made in 2006, and was fenders first non-custom shop guitar to have koa wood. The wood is actually a veneer over american basswood. It was made in korea, yet uses many parts of higher quality american Standard guitars.It has a bidseye maple neck, and a rosewood fretboard, with 22 medium jimbo frets. It has a 5 position pickup selector, and normal volume and tone controls. It also it fitted with Seymour Duncan APS-1N, APS-1RWRP, APS-1B (neck, middle, bridge)(APS= Alnico pro staggered. It has a two point syncronized tremelo, and chrome hardware. I believe the tuners are sealed/cast non locking Tuning machines. // 10

Sound: I Play Acoustic guitar, and wanted a good electic guitar to develop into more blues, jazz, funk and light rock, and this guitar is amazing. I do not use any pedles, and I use a Roland cube amp, yet I'm hoping to get a Fender blues junior, or something along those lines. Because this guiat is fitted with the high quality Seymour Duncan pups, this guitar is incredibly expressive and has an incredible tone. This guitar is a truly incredible sounding instrumet. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is beautiful. It looks amazing, and the guitar plays pretty well. The frets are smooth, yet I have played smoother, but saying that, this guitar is a very well put together guitar, and I've had no problems with the action. Being a fender, it is well constructed, and I have not found any main flaws in design yet... // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had no problems so far with this guitar, yet I have not had it that long, or gigged with it yet, but it feels very sturdy in your hand, a very durable guitar- having said that, I wouldn't want any damages to teh amazing finish, but it seems pretty good.The stap buttons are oversized, and are very secure, and I feel no need to use strap locks. Being a fender, you get a lifetime warranty on it anyway, and I hear the customer help is very good. // 10

Overall Impression: As said before, i play very melodic stuff, which this guiat is truly amazing for john mayer to snow patrol to bob marley. I've been playing for over 4 years, and I'm 14 years old (sorry if this review isnt great) and if this guitar was stolen, I would TRY to get another, yet this would be difficult as it has been discontinued, and I was really lucky to find it in a shop. I looked at other strats, Godins, levinsons blades, ibanezs, and many others, but being an appearance lover, as I passed by the window of the shop and saw this. I had to play it, and then I realised it had Seymour Duncan pups in it, which I was surprised about because I had not seen a koa wood, Seymour Duncan pickuped guitar before. It sounded amazing, and bought it that day, we haggled down from 450 and the guiat was in the sale for I belive 500 although I cannot remeber. All in all a fantastic guitar, and I wish Fender didn't discontinue it :) // 10

Koa Stratocaster Reviewed by: Dylan Greive, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Feedback Rotterdam

Features: The guitar was made for the first time in 2006. This guitar was made in Korea. It has got 22 medium jumbo frets. It has a solid top. The body is made of American basswood. The neck is made of maple. The guitar has a polyurethane finish. It's a Strat. It has a 2-point synchronized tremolo. It has got active electronics. There is a volume knob, a tone knob for the neck pickup and a tone knob for both the middle and bridge pickup. It has 3 single coil high quality Seymour Duncan pickups on it. The tuners are non-locking, Grover. I bought it. They were so friendly to give me a gig bag with it. // 9

Sound: I often play Metallica. Also some heavy metal. Stuff like that. On all genres it sounds great. I'm using a Fender FM65R amp. I also have got a Zoom multi effect pedal with it. It all sounds great. All effects sound beatiful. If you have a kind of noise reduction option on your pedal I should use that because it's not total noise-free. It has a nice tremolo which look a little bit like a Floyd Rose without the locking system. Like I said before it can play any genre. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar teacher had to set-up it a little bit cause the action was not to great. The pickups were very well adjusted. I had no other problems with it. Everything was really good except the points I wrote about above. The tremolo was good. The fretboard was nice polished. Nice smooth frets on it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It will withstand live playing because it's made of really good hardwood. I do the most crazy tricks with it. It is made of very strong metals. You really can depend on this guitar. It sounds great at high volume. I never had any holes in the finish or something like that // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, heavy metal. It is a good match but if there was a Seymour Duncan humbucker on it it would be greater than it is now. I would really buy this guitar again because it's such great quality. I did compare it to many guitars at the store I bought it from. I tested 'em all but this one sounded the best. It would be better with a humbucker on the bridge. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014