Lonestar Stratocaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Lonestar Stratocaster
The Fender Deluxe Lone Star Stratocaster guitar is a scorchin' reissue of one of their most successful models from a few years ago; a classy humbucking guitar with superb feel, great looks and tone as big as Texas itself.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 9.2
 9.3
reviews (6) pictures (3) 18 comments vote for this gear:
Lonestar Stratocaster Reviewed by: Bluesbraker, on november 09, 2012

Features: This Lonestar USA Strat was made in 1997 in USA. It features a rosewood neck with 21 Jumbo frets which are an absolute dream to play with, this Strat features a tinted neck. The action is amazing and I don't have too tune it for weeks, even with heavy use of the whammy bar. It features a brown burst alder body which looks amazing and a maple neck. The double cut away body really helps me nail those High solos/notes. What makes this guitar special and an absolute bargain is that it feature the same single coil texas specials found on stevie Ray Vaughans signature Strat as well as Seymore Duncan Pearly gates plus humbucking pickup which comes incredibally close to a 59' Les Paul sound. Switching the selector switch is a breeze. I also got a free Fender hardcase with it and the interior is first class. // 10

Sound: I play Blues-Rock and plenty of other genres. This guitar suites it all. I play the Strat through a Roland Cube 60 and in my opinion, sounds great aswell. Position 1 (Bridge pickup) gives a really full rich sound, and when the gain is turned up to about 6, you get that classic purple haze sound. (Position 2) has a lovely mellow sound, it makes the stings sound like their heavy on the fretboard, perfect for SRV. (Postion 3) WOW! The absolute oinical of the classic Strat sound, this perfect for blues, jazz, punk you name it. I'll skip position 4 as I hav'nt really explored it and when I played in that position, it was the worst of the 5. (Position 5) This humbucker is absolutely amazing! You get a really nice led Zep, Cream sound out of this pickup, perfect for lead work, not as murcky as a usually Gibson Humbucker which some people may love, but I really like the murkyness of the Gibson guitars anyway which is why I'm bying a SG Special. This pickup is pure class though, Mr Duncan really out did himself this time around, my only problem with it is that it spounds quite rubbery when the tone is turned all the way down. It can really handle high gain. Overall this guitar IS the most versatile guitar ever made! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When it arrived, I had been told it had not been set up for a while, but I only found that out 2 months later, it felt like it had been setup when it wasn't (Now that's a sign of class). The hardware hasn't oxidized at all in the 11 years it has been around. The pickups are ajusted just fine, nothing is loose and I think the finish will out last me (I'm 13! ). // 10

Reliability & Durability: Everything will last, although I would always bring a backup just incase a string snapped ect. The hardware is solid, you would have to use a hammer to knock it out of tune. My cube 60 fell on the neck! (Don't ask) but the neck hasn't been affected at all. We should have used these as weapons in world war 2. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar matches me in every singel way possible, If it were stolen I would murder every living thing I saw then nip into town to buy another one. So bluesy and Rocky, it sounds perfect for everthing i've ever played. All I need now is a wedding ring, and all I can say, buy one of these and happy shopping. // 10

Lonestar Stratocaster Reviewed by: JayLacelle, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 700

Purchased from: Steves Music

Features: I went to my local guitar store looking to buy a Standard MIM Fat Strat, but when I saw this guitar right next to it I couldn't resist. When I played it I was even more impressed. This guitar has 21 frets, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, alder body, Fender tuners, tremolo bridge, 1 volume control and 2 tone controls (1 for humbucker and 1 for the single coils), H-S-S pickup configuration with 5 way selector Switch. The single coils are Fender Texas specials, and the humbucker is a Seymour Duncan "pearly gates" bridge pickup. This guitar was made in mexico. The guitar included a couple of alan keys, a Fender manual and bumper sticker, and a Fender padded gig bag. // 10

Sound: I play everything with this guitar, from BB King type blues to Green Day power chord riffs. I play through either my 30 watt Vox tube amp or my Laney 212 solid-state. When you Switch pickups on this guitar it sounds like your changing the guitar itself. The neck and middle position single coils give the classic Fender sound. They have a balanced tone and absolutely sing with the right amount of reverb. They are great for blues, jazz, rythm chord riffs or a low frequency type lead sound. When you Switch to the bridge SD humbucker everything changes. This "pearly gates" pickup has been made famous by John Mayer and give a beautiful rock tone. It has a strong but subtle mid-range which sounds great for lead solos. Crank up the gain and get a nice metal tone, mabye not the same thing as an Ibanez type sound, but much more then you would expect from a Fender. If you currently own any type of Fender fat srat, I would highly recommend installing one of these for a nice hot lead boost. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup on this guitar was quite good, but I needed to raise the action slightly to get a bit more sustain on the higher frets. The guitar has a pretty slim neck so it's easy to get your hands around it. I adjusted the pickup height to experiment with different sounds but it wasn't necessary. The guitar stays in tune perfectly as the nut is perfect and the tuners are well contructed. One big bonus of this guitar is it comes with upgraded "super Bullet" Fender strings which play like heaven. The only reason I gave it a 9 is because the low E string was much closer to the frets then the other string for some reason. The guitar comes with an alan key so it takes 30 seconds to fix. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built as solid as most Standard Fender strats, whose reputation speaks for itself. If Eric Clapton toured with these guitars for decades I have No Doubt in their reliability. Pretty hard to scratch or dent, and the neck is connected flawlessly to the body. // 10

Overall Impression: With this guitar pared with my Epiphone Dot, I feel like I can create any tone ever imaginable. The only thing my lonestar fat Strat can't do is give that deep sweet humbucking blues tone because the neck pickup is a single coil. Unless that is the sound you are looking for, then this guitar would be perfect. This guitar has a fast neck for shredding but still feels comfortable playing some chords. The guitar is meant for rock, but the possibilities are endless. // 10

Lonestar Stratocaster Reviewed by: spaz520, on november 09, 2012

Features: A gig bag and basic tools were included within the purchase of this guitar, and I must say that the gig bag is amazing quality. Nothing new for Fender. The guitar is a 2008 Fender Lonestar Stratocaster, and it plays beautifully. It has a straight up, moder Strat bridge, Fender made, non-locking tuners, and passive electronics. A 5 way selector switch, two tone and one volume knob are also included, it is an HSS model (humbucker pickup pickup). // 10

Sound: I play alot of classic rock and metal including bands such as Iron Maiden, Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC, Metallica, Black Sabbath etc. And I write my own stuff too (mostly metal). This guitar is amazing for everything I play, and then some. The Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates bucker in the bridge screams while the Texas Special pickups in the neck and middle give off an amazing clean tone, and are great for blues. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the guitar was a little too high for my taste, but it took little effort to lower it quickly. The pickups, and humbucker were all adjusted perfectly and had absolutely no flaws. The rosewood neck helps the sustain of this baby even more than you'd expect. I love the bridge because it allows a whammy bar, but is not a floyd rose, so there is no extra hassle in tuning the instrument. I wish the guitar came with a wider variety of colors, and different pickguards, but the sound is worth settling for looks. The guitar only comes in white, black, and sunburst, all with a tortoise shell pickguard. I got a white one and picked up a black pickguard seperately and it looks sick if I do say so myself. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would give absolutely no problems in a gig situation and I would trust this as my only guitar during a gig without hesitation. The strap buttons are a little thin, so I would suggest getting strap locks but that's not a huge deal. The finish is great and the only reason mine has any scratches is because I'm a little rough with my guitar, and it can clearly take a beating. // 9

Overall Impression: Once again, this guitar is outstanding for my style of music and I love it to death. If it were ever stolen I would buy the same guitar again no questions asked. I've been playing for about two-and a half years, and I've played quite a few guitars, and few come within the same quality that are even close to the great price range of 700 bucks. I only wish it had more color and pickguard options. // 9

Lonestar Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: dolphin music

Features: This is my new Fender Mexican lonestar re-issue. Its made from alder, has 21 medium frets with the Standard mexican hardware. The thing that made me buy this guitar over a Standard or classic players mexican Strat was the pickups. This guitar comes with 2 Texas Special pickups (the same that are in the Stevie Ray Vaughn custom Strat) and a seymore duncan pearly gates humbucker pickup, which is awesome. It came with a few trus rod and bridge wrenches and a delux Fender gig bag. Other than the pick ups, its pretty much a standar mexican Strat. // 8

Sound: I'll be honest, I've onlu played mexican strats before so I thought I knew what I would be expecting but this guitar sounds absolutley amazing for the price I paid. The two texas special pick ups are espcially good. I play lots of different styles of music such as rock, jazz, metal, Indie and country, which is why I got a Strat in the first place but for all the different styles of music I play, I can get a pretty good authentic sound from this guitar. The only problem is the seymore duncan sounds rubbish on clean, but with a high gain destortion, it sounds beastly. You can pretty much get any sort of sound you want from this guitar. Great sound for price. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Hmmm, mexican guitars are never really well put together, and this one was no exception. The jack plate is off centre, the tone nobs and volume nobs are not very good really and when I got distortion on, I get a pretty bad humming sound when I combine the first 2 pick ups. 1 other thing is that I had to put higher tension springs in the trem system as the bridge was bent up a bit. Other than that everything was fine. Eventhough I had a few minor problems with this when I bought it, I'm still really happy with it. The action is perfect and it plays like a dream. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The tuners are very good on this guitar. I never really tune it. If I'm rehearsing, it may need a bit of tweaking but other than that it's fine. I upgraded the strap pins to locking strap system, just because I don't want my strap to fall off and drop it. I recomend locking strap systems to anyone with a guitar. I would always gig this guitar just because it sounds amazing, plays really well, it's well balanced and it's nice and light. // 9

Overall Impression: overall, I'm really glad I bought this guitar, it's perfect for what I play, it works really well with my amp and effects rig and it's just really good value for money as it's one of the only mexican Fender Strat with all american custom pick ups and a seymore duncan. If someone stole it, I'd probly be very annoyed but I would buy another if I had to. it's much better than any other mexican Strat on the market and might even be better than the american Standard. // 9

Lonestar Stratocaster Reviewed by: dan1bad, on november 09, 2012

Features: Well it's a Mexican Deluxe Lonestar Strat. It has 21 medium sized frets, a nice maple neck with a rosewood fretboard that offers a very smooth feel to the guitar. My guitar has a white finish with a brown swirl type of pickgaurd. It has one volume and two tone knobs with a 5 way pick-up selector. It's an HSS Strat as well. The bridge humbucker is a Seymour Duncan pearly gates plus and the middle and neck pick-ups are both texas special pick-ups, which can also be found on Stevie Ray Vaughn's guitar. Mine came with a gig bag and some tools for it as well as an extra whammy bar and spring for the tremolo system in back. // 8

Sound: I love the sound of this guitar. I can play just about anything with it. It fits my style perfectly. I play a lot of blues, alternative rock and a lot of instrumental stuff( Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani.. all that good stuff). The pick-ups can be a bit noisy at times but it's nothing a noise gate can't handle. The humbucker gives a good crunch and sounds great with fuzz distortion. It has good sound when clean, but can be better. The pick-ups offer variety.. with the pick-ups I play anything from Son House (blues music) to Eric Johnson. The pick-ups can also give a really Jimi Hendrix like sound especially with overdrive. When on the clean channel the Texas Specials offer beautiful sparkling tones as well as a subtle type of warm twang that sounds very nice. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty good. The action was great and the pick-ups didn't need any adjusting. The only flaw I found in the guitar was the tremolo system. The guitar does tend to get out of tune rather easily when using it quite a bit, but other than that every thing was great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar Live and it's great. The hardware definitely seems like it will last for a good while. The straps are petty solid I haven't had any incidents with them. I would gig without a back-up mainly because I don't have one but I have complete confidence in the guitar.. it really is great. The finish seems like it will last I've been careful with it but so far there is no fade or chips or anything. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before I play a lot of blues and instrumental guitar stuff and it fits perfectly. There probably are better guitars for blues but not any that can play blues so greatly and so many other genres without sounding off. I've been playing for about 6 or 7 years and I own a few other acoustic guitars, and some pedals(Boss bd-2, original Cry Baby wah, Danelectro Fab Metal, and a DigiTech RP-50). I don't wish I had anything specific before I bought this guitar except maybe a decent distortion pedal rather than my DigiTech. If this guitar was stolen I would most definitely get another one. I love everything about the guitar, I would say my favorite feature would have to be the neck pick-up because that alone offers so much versatility it's crazy. I compared this to an Epiphone Les Paul and a Fender American Telecaster. I chose this guitar simply because the versatility and great sound.The only thing I wish the guitar had was maybe a maple neck and a better tremolo system but other than that I loved it. // 10

Lonestar Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar was made in Mexico. It has a total of 21 jumbo frets on a rosewood neck. The body is laminated and the guitar body itself is made of mahogany I believe. It has a lot of nice features! I like the rosewood neck but it does make the strings look a bit darker and it does build up some dirt and grime. The good thing is that it is easy to clean and superior in my belief to necks. It has a volume and 2 tone nobs and can be used with a whammy bar (which you will find me using, often). CANNOT do dive bombs:(2 Texas special & 1 double humbucker pickup, and the tuners do NOT lock in place. In fact you may have to tune it more than once, play around with the strings and retune it to get it in perfect tune. WELL worth it. // 8

Sound: I really do love this guitar because I can play practically anything on it. You will catch me playing anything from post hardcore bands like A7X to things like Jerry C's "Canon Rock". It has an awesome sound (though I give a lot of credit to my Peavey 30 watt amp). As long as you got some tone turned and tweaked and the sound up, it doesn't matter what kind of music you are playing. It will sound great. And what I love the most is that it is SO quiet. I can turn on as much distortion and turn up the volume loud and all you will hear till you touch those strings is the sound of the amp. I use the Peavey Vyper 30 watt modeling amp, which goes GREAT with this guitar. I would definitely recommend stomp pedals. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I gotta say you couldn't do a better job on this if your life depended on it. Not only are all the pieces locked (TIGHTLY) into place, but the ONLY problem I encounter is the washer coming out of place after some time playing plugged in. Easy fix: unscrew the input jack and hold onto it while you tighten it with pliers. Then just don't jerk around the cord too much (pun not intended). But really though this guitar was build amazingly, well worth the money. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had this guitar for about a year now, and I can easily say the only thing that hasn't held up is the damage I've done to it. Maybe there are a few scratches... But that is my fault, not the guitar's. All of the hardware (neck, tuning pegs, pickups, bridge, etc.) are in just as good condition as they were the day I got them. If I were to A) Clean them and B) polish them, I would be able to look at this guitar the same day I got it without noticing that it's a year old. It really stays looking nice, especially in the Orange sunburst color. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from death metal to orchestra music. I have been playing for a couple years now and I am self taught, and I honestly couldn't ask for a better guitar. I have tried other guitars and they don't fit or play like this. This is a truly unique guitar that you should definitely buy if you have the time and money to experience something new. If I were to lose this guitar, I would definitely consider other ones. This is because I like trying out new things and hearing new sounds. What I would also do is invest in another one of these guitars because they bring out everything I like in a guitar and there's no replacement for them. The only thing I wish I had on this guitar was a floyd rose bridge, solely because I like divebombs. Outstanding product, couldn't ask for a more solid guitar! // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Hot Rod DeVille 410 8.6 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014