Mexican Stratocaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Mexican Stratocaster
The pickup selector is noisy and weak and the tuning pegs are very loose. The action was ok and the pickups dont seem too bad.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 Features: 8.3
 8.2
 8.7
 7.7
reviews (57) pictures (8) 141 comments vote for this gear:
Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: sm1th, on november 09, 2012

Sound: I play the classic rock genre, and I mix in alternative/newer stuff that suits my fancy. The guitar goes right along with it, I can belt out some Zepplin and then Switch it to my favorite pickup setting, the mid/neck position and play some funky music. I use a Roland Cube 30, and I usually use just reverb, sometimes chorus. It sounds fine, other than it needs a sheilding job. I get very bright sounds with it, and being as versatile as it is, I can rock it in metal, which I don't do often, but it goes with me from one tune to another. Lots of variety in this thing. I really like all the sounds I get from it, even with the stock pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This was goddawful out of the "box," it was previously rented, and basically messed up. The nut has a chip in it, and was loose, and the strings and inotnation were all wrong. The pickups were far too high. The nut is cut too low. Theres also a chip in the finish, but thats why I got a deal on it. I just love the feel of the neck though. Absolutely incredible. Thats why I bought it, that and the sounds. // 6

Overall Impression: It fits all genres I play, perfect match to me. I couldn't be happier, after playing almost 1 and a half years, it's what I need, and what I'm going to use for a long, long time. I wish I had checked out the who nut escapade, and got that fixed, but I'll spend the extra dough, throw in a graphite nut and it'll be right as rain. I would definately buy this again, or maybe get a cheap American Strat instead, if I have the extra money. I love the neck, the biggest pull factor in the whole equation. That was good enough for me, and the sound is good, so thats just cream. I hate that nut! I compared it with my old one, an Ibanez AX120, this whoops it up and down the court. Thats all. I hope you liked my review, and I hope it helped you. // 10

Purchased from: Unisound

Sound: I mostly play rock/blues/punk. At the moment I use it with a Fender Princeton 112+ amplifier and it sounds pretty good however I want to get a good valve amp and really hear it sing. The guitar is quite noisy when a single pickup is selected rather than two at a time, but this is largely to do with the amp and the fact that they're not humbuckers. It has great tone ranging from very nice bassy sounds to great top end treble screams. The harmonics on this guitar are amazingly easy to create and it sounds absoloutely superb, it more than makes up for any amount of noise it creates. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very nicely when I recieved it however after some weather changes the truss rod did move out slightly and my guitar teacher had to correct that but otherwise its almost 100% reliable. I have personally changed the pickup height to suit my playing style but the standard height was very good. The guitar has no flaws, the only things that have ever gone wrong are the truss rod moving out (due to weather changes) and the thread on the tremelo arm is possibly out by several microns in places which causes the tremelo to suffer very slightly but as long as you dont remove it every day it is fine. All the controls do exactly what they're supposed to do. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar has been played live about 5 times and nothing has gone wrong. The hardware is fine the only thing I am worried about is the tremelo arm but I dont remove it so it is fine, I don't know anyone else that has had this problem so I'm assuming its pretty close to a one off. I had the strap buttons replaced with schaller strap-locks because the Fender strap I purchased seperately was utter crap, they do occasionally come loose if I shake the guitar around excessively but never loose enough to warrant worry and its very easily fixed with nothing more than a phillips head screwdriver. The tremelo (disregarding tread issues) is fantastic the guitar has never gone out of tune just because I've used to tremelo (like many other tremelo fitted guitars I have played do so) even though the nut doesn't lock! The tuners hold fine the controls are great this guitar has been accidentally dropped several times but playing wise remains fine. The finish has got a few chips where afformentioned drops have very slightly damaged it but they are hardly noticeable and the body hasnt actually lost any paint due to rubbing or anything else. I've had this guitar for a year and I'm confident enough to say this guitar will last. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Rock/Blues/Punk and occasionally some various finger picking styles and this guitar suits all of them perfectly. my guitar teacher has played jazz and country on it and it sounds great, such a versatile guitar I have never come across, I have been playing for two years, my first guitar was a Squier Stratocaster and it sounded awful and played terribly, I now have a Jackson JSX-600 which needs some work to the frets and tremelo if I am to continue playing it, I have a Gibson/Epiphone Flying Vee and my Fender, the Fender is easily the most versatile of the guitars (those are just my electrics) and if it were stolen I'd find the guitar who stole it and smash his face in with my MD-2 and insert the pointed end of my Jackson where it hurts. I love the way this guitar plays SO much and it just gives great natural and pinched harmonics, the string tension is good and it plays well in Eb too, this guitar is the nicest guitar I have ever played and until I have one designed for myself this will probably remain my favourite, ontop of all of that the Maple neck is SO smooth its a joy to play 10/10 all the way. // 10

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: local guitar shop

Features: Current year MIM Standard Strat in Arctic White w. Rosewood fretboard, parchment pickguard, padded Fender gigbag+strap. Check a website for details... I like a headstock face with gloss and the rest of the neck in soft satin poly; it's a good feature. Decent tuners and chrome. // 9

Sound: Pretty good pickups for a MIM Strat. The bridge is trebly, but add a Fralin baseplate to it and do the short jumper wire on the switch to have the middle and bridge controlled by middle pickup tone knob. Replace the tone block with a steel one from GFS for about $25. Easy fixes. Set the pickup heights better with a luthier or setup guy's help. Rated "9" because it's a $450 guitar new! You don't get great pups in a modest MIM guitar, but they are good enough for most guys. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well finished in poly; pickups always need adjustment; neck pocket is not perfectly tight, but not shabby and the neck is on straight. Very clean guitar in every way; well cut nut (slots need to be deepened by a setup guy) for a stock guitar, but definitely playable. Frets are medium jumbo and good steel, so will stay shiny with buffing at string changes (get SFARZO strings... Best I ever found and cheap). For a guitar that is under $450 with the rebate, it's a lot of guitar and I have owned an EJ, Tokai Silver Stars, and other American Deluxe Strats in the past. A good MIM Strat is a value! // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a Strat... Little to break or fall off. The finish is too thick, but it's poly and shot by a machine most likely. But it's what most guitars are finished with nowadays in the modest price range. This is a budget priced guitar, but is not "cheaply" made in any way. It's not an American Deluxe, but I have seen plenty of American Strats that do not offer what the MIM ones have. // 9

Overall Impression: Every player needs a Tele, Strat, then all the others... Especially a good P90 guitar and maybe a PRS style. I have Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat and like its tone, but the glossy neck and no tint does not feel good like a satin neck. It's a preference, but I may keep the MIM and sell the other on eBay. The Arctic White finish with parchment guard looks killer... Classic look with a dark rosewood board and p/b/p pickguard. This one I would replace if stolen since it is modestly priced and a good guitar. // 9

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: Pennyroyal Tea, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Key Music, Brussels

Features: Well, I bought this in July 2005 while on holiday in Belgium, so I'd presume it's a 2005 model (unless it'd been kept there for ages). And more importantly, its a lefty, the only decent lefty I found in all brussels. Made in Mexico of course. Rosewood fingerboard with 21 Vintage style frets. Maple neck with a C-shape and an alder body with a beautiful finish, that's supposedly brown sunburst but looks much more like a three tone compared to other brown sunbursts I've looked at. White pickguard. It's got a Vintage Style Synchronized Tremolo, one volume and two tone controls, and a 5-way pickup selector. Strings are still the factory super bullets (.009 to .042) which I plan to change to 0.010 guage as soon as my playing picks up a little more. Pickup configuration is S-S-S. 3 Standard single-coil Strat pickups with ceramic magnets and the hardware's all chrome. All I got was a pretty beefed up gig bag with it and a bunch of picks. // 8

Sound: Since I can barely be considered a beginner (yes I'm that crappy) for now I'm trying out a large variety of styles. I'm planning to hit something of a mixture between blues, grunge and psychedelic later on, so the Strat will be pretty good for later too with a few modifications. So far I'm using a Laney HCM30, a monster of an amp for its size. I can practically get anything with it except for that echoing Gilmour sound or really heavy distortion. Noise is pretty bright, especially when using the bridge pickup which'll practically give you something of a shrill sound. So for now I'm using the woman tone mostly, neck pickup, with tone settings maxed out. Like any other guitar, when using proper equipment the sound can kickass, so the fact that the guitar quality may not be as good as its biger American Strat brother, its still pretty good, and damned cheaper! So I'll give it an 8. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well I'm not a guitar expert, not yet at least, but I've had it checked over by more experienced people and they never said that anything was wrong with it. Essentially, the instrument works, everything fits well, and nothing has fallen apart yet. The only thing I gotta grumble about is the lower fretboard. The person who set this thing up obviously didn't have an eye for detail or was probably too hurried to bother. But the finish there is pretty weak. Other than that a few minor rough edges here and there. Other than that I'm pretty much satisfied with it. Giving it a 7, although a 7.5 would be more suitable. // 7

Reliability & Durability: So far I've already given it a few bumps, dropped it, carried it around, and taken it through about 4 countries in 3 months. It's still in one piece, still plays, and doesn't have a scratch. It's solid, damned solid I should say. More than solid enough to withstand live playing for small crowds I'm planning for eventually. Wouldn't play it with backup for the following reasons: I'm broke, it's very hard to find lefties in my country, it'll definitely remain in one piece. Strap buttons so far have held. But I'm not gonna risk anything and I'll get meself a strap lock soon enough. It's too early to make any real conclusions about the finish. I live in a very humid country (it's an island, you'd expect that). Humidity is a huge problem, the weather plays havoc with the string tuning and all so I doubt that over the years the axe will remain as good as new, although I have no doubt that overall it should remain the sight it is now. // 8

Overall Impression: Well, I love the instrument to bits. Its the very model I wanted. So far everyone's been giving me compliments on how pretty it looks, except for a couple of people who don't like sunburst coloured guitars. I took pretty long considering what guitar to get, so by the time I bought this I was pretty sure of what I was going to buy. Considering I saved lm60 (thats about J140) buying it from belgium instead of Malta thats already something. The only thing I hate is that I'm not yet a good enough guitar player to get the most out of it. If I lost it, I'd actually think twice before buying the same thing again. Not because I don't like the guitar, but its good to try other axes. // 8

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: IThinkNot, on november 09, 2012

Features: A 2005 MIM Tele. Believe it's a poplar body with a maple neck, mine's got a dark red finish and maple fretboard. Volume and tone knobs, with a 3-way Switch. Got me some straplocks as well I put on from an older guitar. I give it a 7 because tele's are very basic, though they do basic well. // 7

Sound: I like to play lots of music, though it usually falls into the Indie category. The guitar does that broad category well, it's not what you want for heavy gain, metal things. That's mainly because of the hum that comes with the single coils. Does cleans very well. You can get a nice twang out of the bridge pup, and you get a deeper punchy sound from the neck pup. I tend to use the bridge pup more myself. Decent overall, though I am considering sheilding the inside to eliminate some of the annoying hum. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was set up very well when I got it, much lower than my Strat copy. Makes it much easier to play around with. Finish is fine, no complaints. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Have played live a few times, it hasn't crapped out on me or anything. Only complaint is that the input knob sometimes comes a little loose. Easily fixed, but a little annoying. Would gig without backup. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar is what I expected it to be, a good intermediate guitar. I've been playing about 1 year and a half now, and this guitar is much much better than my first guitar. I play it through a Vox AD50VT along with a Zoom multieffects pedal and a Big Muff Pi for a little fuzz. Obviously you'd be getting a better guitar in the American Tele, but that's an extra 400-500 dollars, and it's just marginally better in quality IMO. Overall a very nice guitar for the money. // 8

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: antipop333, on november 09, 2012

Sound: For those Who believe the proverb, "beauty is only skin-deep", go in a dark closet, with a paper bag on your head, and cut yourself. This beast is sexy on the outside and even more hardcore on the inside. As I enjoy any style of rock music, I play any stlye of rock music. No matter what I attempt, if I can play it, this guitar can play it. I have it plugged into a Peavey Transtube Rage 158 through a DigiTech RP50 effects pedal (only to enhance the sound, not cover it up). The actual sound of the guitar on a clean tone is bright, on a single pickup, with the tone knob on a 10, to a rich sound with multiple pickups on. This guitar can really bring out a vast range of tones from blues to metal. This is acheived though the 5 different possible pickup configurations, and the 2 tone knobs (making a total of about 500 different tones, if you think about it, although not anything major. The pickuos never fail, and the guitar outputs everything I put in. Too bad it doesn't have an autopilot mode, because its sedative tone tells me to play for hours, and I listen and obey. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: After picking up at the store where I custom ordered it, I arrived at home and opened the box. My baby couldn't have been more protected (unless put in a metal Crate) as the box was filled with supports, packing peanuts, cellophane wrap, and strong double-walled corugated cardboard, and all of this was put inside of another box (which had an ispection stamp on it). The guitar was perfect out of the factory. The pickups were in well and their was no static sound, and the body/neck were properly aligned. On the whole guitar, there were (and still are no flaws what so ever. The only thing is, there is a minute (1/16 inch) piece of wood mising under the neck (when I took it off once), and there is the guitar's finish over it so it must have came that way. The finsh is very lasting, hasn't faded at all, or worn. The body itself is very strong, because I smacked it on a chair by accident once on the side, and the only proof of that is a small 1/8 inch diamter x 1mm deep dent, which I think is still the paint, not the wood of the guitar. The only things I have ever done to it are: periodically replace strings, and add a spring to the internal backing of the bridge to help generate a slightly deeper tone. Amen. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Every true guitarist's dream, playing in front of a crowd that for the duration of your performance are your minions and will do whatever you say. However, playing live is a major difference than playing at home or in the recording studio. Many people buy a guitar for its looks, not its sound, reliability, and duribility, which are the keys for a live jam. If you believe that live playing is smashing your guitar and then kicking the corpse around the stage, then don't bother continuing to read this review. But if you are like me and focus on delivering to the crowd the music they came to see, then I don't see why not to throw a few jumps, spins, or seizers into your execution. This guitar can defidently handle that. And the pickups will never fail, so you don't need to worry about the guitar's guts having a coma while you're on stage, or ever. The hardware is very firm, and well-built, so when you need to detune, or dive-bomb the bridge, or even put your cable into the guitars 'sweet spot'; P, with thelights off, or flickering or something, you can accidently bump into something and it should remain in place (really depends on what you just crashed into). And some guitars, the guitar is a work of God, but the strap buttons are crap and fall off randomly and your axe falls on your foot, or worse, the floor. I would nerver expect that out of a Strat, the buttons are so strong that I would bet that you could hang the guitar on the ceiling, or the like, and hang onto a strap that is supported by the strap buttons just as if one of the world's strongest men (refer to that tv show plz), were hoisting you up. Overall, I would always use it at a gig witout a backup, even if I did have another guitar of its quality or better (which I most likely could not find). And if I was a hippie and did outdoor gigs, even for non-stop weekends, for years in the sun, the finish would last for life. The blue agave finish on my beast has experienced the scorching sun many-a-time, and Still Remains as gorgeus as when I first removed it from its coffin (Who would think of puting this guitar in a box for 3 weeks). // 10

Overall Impression: Above all, the requirement for me to keep a guitar forever and play it daily for hours, is for me to love it. The Fender Stratocaster delivers everything I could possibly want from it. It never is below top notch, and I am already thinking about buying another Strat, in Sage Green, and I've only been playing for 4 1/2 years. I love my choice (which was my fist guitar, along with my two acoustics). Peace out, posers. // 10

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: Nirvana-Man, on november 09, 2012

Features: My Strat was made in 2005, in Mexico. It has 21 frets, with Standard dot inlays. The neck is beatiful rosewood, and the body is sunburst. The pickups are great, 2 singles, and 1 humbucker with a 4 way selector. It's got 2 tone knobs and a volume knob. The tuners are non-locking, so I don't go to crazy with my tremolo arm, which was included. If you use the whammy bar, you better have a lot of time to re-tune and lots of extra strings! // 9

Sound: At first I thought the Stratocaster could only play blues, like everyone else does, but I was proven wrong. I play grunge, and this thing works awesome! On the clean setting on my Roland Cube 60, if neck pickups are used if getting a deeper, warmer sound. The humbucker will get more or less the same sound, only higher. While using distortion, the humbucker is the way to go; it has virtually no noise! The neck pickups unfortunately get a lot of noise, so I suggest humbucker. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar worked like a dream, right out if the box! Everything was setup correctly, and no buzzing on the strings at all! The one bad thing though, after having the guitar for 3 months, I'm starting to get rust on the screws holding the pickguard on. Also, you should make sure no dust gets into the pickups; I'm starting to notice some. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is awesome, I never need a substitute, everything is not cheaply assembled; this thing is built to last. I had a scare when my strap came of the button, but luckily I grabbed the neck at the last second. I do highly recommend buying either a high-quality strap, or some sort of strap-lock system or something. // 8

Overall Impression: I really enjoy this guitar, it is 10 times more versatile than I though it was going to be, and it is definately built to last. I was comparing this guitar to a Highway 1 Strat, but this thing blew it away in every category. If this guitar was stolen, I would go buy another right away! // 9

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: essary1, on november 09, 2012

Features: It is a pretty recent model, I only bought it about a year ago. My guitar comes with two tone knobs, alternating the pitch in either the bass or the middle, then a volume knob is of course attached. It also came with a whammy bar and insert. The pegs are all on the same side and are very easy for tuning. Unfortunately when replacing strings, the back needs to come off sometimes making it very annoying. There is also an alternating Switch, allowing for easy transition between a bass sound and a more treble sound. // 7

Sound: The sound is the very common Fender sound, with the bell tone quality. It doesn't naturally have any real grind or hard sound attached to it, but it is fantastic for any classical rock or blues riffs. When distortion is added to the mix, the beauty of the guitar is openly exemplified, performing a pitch perfect sound of blues that every young guitarist looks for. All together a very expandable yet reliable sound. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It has all stuck together very well. It is completed with a rosewood finish for the wood, it is a two piece by the way. The body is painted a darkish red and is shaped perfectly for any leisure guitarist. I haven't really had any problems with the cut or the shape, and no real damage has occurred to the frame since I have purchased it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The durability is fantastic. There is not one scratch on the entire guitar and all together it is just a marvelous build. However there is one problem I am currently experiencing. This problem occurs where the string have to run through at the bottom of the guitar. Although they haven't been too much of an irritation, they do conflict with some styles of music I have attempted to play (classical especially), however besides that one minor flaw it has a very attractive life expectancy (I expect it to last all my life). // 7

Overall Impression: A very nice beginner guitar. Never on any guitar, besides the Gibson, have I heard a better blue bell tone. Although the single coil pickups are a little too dry for some styles of harder rock, it overall is just a really well developed guitar. Although it does have some minor flaws, I recommend it to anybody looking for a first or second guitar, when they are strapped for cash. // 7

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: 2002. 21 frets, maple fretboard, not my favorite wood, I prefer rosewood or ebony, but I got it free, Standard pickup config. I've owned several Strats in my 46 years of playing. This one has all the Standard stuff. Nice color, I believe it is called Midnight Wine or Burgundy Mist. // 9

Sound: I play jazz, gospel and fusion, mainly instrumental music. I had heard some bad things about the MIM strats, I was really suprised at the tone, and I am a tone nut. Nice response from the PU's, wide range of tones, I've always said the Strat is the most versatile guitar ever made, For jazz I use the heck PU and roll the tone off, good jazz sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The friend that gave the guitar to me didn't have anything special done, and it is probably the best playing Strat I've ever owned.I just slapped a new set of strings, tweaked the truss rod slightly and wow. Intonation was perfect, I aged the body, hardware and plastic parts, so it looks cool. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Haven't had the guitar six months, but knowing Fenders construction methods, I should be able to play this for years. I'm hoping the finish will wear so it will become even more relic looking. I think the road worn and closet classic Strats really look and sound great. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm 55 years old, and have been playing since I was 9 years old. My second electric guitar was a Strat, 1972. Over the years I've owned 6 Fender Strats and built 3. The nicest one was a home build about 10 years ago, which I sold for 350 bucks. I have a friend that owns 7 Strats, he agrees with me, the MIM's are a fine guitar. I lucked out when I got this for free. // 8

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: thedevilsguitar, on november 09, 2012

Features: This 1997 Fender Strat was made on the outskirts of Mexico. On it, there are 21-dotted frets. The neck of this guitar is Maple thin-wide. The finish is a very nice teal. Currently the pickups are passive, which is a good thing in my opinion. The three controls given to me are the Volume, Tone, and Tone 2. The tuners are non-locking Fender. I am giving this area a 6. // 6

Sound: I think that this guitar suits my preferred genre of music on 7 on a 1-10 scale. I like to play Punk, Grunge, Indie, and Alternitive. I usually use distortion and gain all the way up. I guess that it can be kind of noisy, although it has its type of sound that can't really compare to a Gibson or Jackson. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was actually set-up pretty well at the factory. Surprisingly, the finish of this baby is really nice. The guitar has 3- pickups, 1 single and 2 double, and they were fit on perfectly. The only flaw that this guitar has is the wood on it is actually prone to denting real easy, which is a down side. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I am almost positive that this Fender could definitely could withstand some live jamming. The strap buttons come loose when you move the guitar around, so I think that is a big flaw, because you have to consistently tighten them up. I could for sure depend on this guitar, it hasn't failed me once (yet). The finish on this sucker is well-painted, I haven't got a single finish-paint damage on mine, and I have dropped it on accident several times. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a lot of Punk, Grunge, and Pop. This guitar has deep, toneful sounds, which is nice when playing these types of genres. I have been playing guitar for almost 2 years now, and love every minute playing it. I own an Ibanez SDGR Bass, which I also like very much. I don't think I could ask for another guitar like this one. If it were stolen, I wouldn't, to be honest, buy another Mexico Strat, but save up my money and get an American instead. I love how my fingers feel on the fretboard and how nice it sounds when I strum! // 8

Purchased from: Mad Music

Features: This Strat was made in Mexico. It has 21 frets and is black in colour. There is hardly any special features on this Strat leaving the conclusion that the features are not very good. // 4

Sound: I am playing rock/metal and the sound does not match what I am looking for. I am using a Peavey 15 watt amp and a few effects (chorus, wah, delay and distortion). The sound is always very clean and high pitched. Not alot of variety on the sound or at least definetly not what I am looking for. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was ok and the pickups dont seem too bad. The pickup selector is noisy and weak and the tuning pegs are very loose. My guitar is always out of tune! // 6

Reliability & Durability: The guitar itself is quite strong and could last along time. Although I am definitely changing my guitar when I get the money. It could last a long time without wear if you like the sound and want to keep it. // 6

Overall Impression: Anybody who is playing rock such as Metallica, Nirvana, Guns n' roses, AC DC, Led Zeppelin etc would not be advised to this guitar. I would not buy another Strat and the only reason I bought it was because Hendrix played one but he played an American Strat and that was the 60's. There is definitely better guitars out there. Think before you buy, man. // 6

Purchased from: Peachtree Music

Features: I bought a 2004 Sunburst Mexistrat. It has 21 frets 5 way selector with a mable neck and 3 single coil pick ups. It has all standard features. // 6

Sound: I didn't like the standard strings so I put some DR "blues" on, they really enhanced the sound. I play thru a Crate Blue Vodoo 120H tube head with a 2-12 cabinet and a crybaby wah.I have to play with the toggle Switch to get all the ear piercing high end out. It has a great blues sound and when I Switch to distortion it has the same sound as Hendrix or any other band of that era. I play a wide variety of music and it maches all of them. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar action needs to be a little lower and the pick-ups are a little low for my taste. I would have it set up to your own taste as soon as you bought it. That way it will play like you want it to and not the way Fender says it should. It also need more springs on the tremelo to hold it in place. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I can't see this guitar giving you too much trouble playing it every night if you are on the road. I would always keep a spare no matter what guitar I was playing. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Southern Rock, Kiss, Metallica, Hendrix, Eagles, Bob Seager and just a wide variety of other music and it hangs right with all of it. I have 5 other guitars a 69 Gibson ES 340TD, a 02 Peavey accoustic, a 87 Jackson RR Flying V, a 04 Jackson Dinky, a 81 Kramer but the first guitar I pick up is my Fender. I love the feel and sound I get out of it with my tube amp. I wish it was set up better from the factory like my Jackson Dinky was. I compared it to the American Strat before I bought it and there was not a big differance except the price as far as the playability was concerned. // 10

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Well basically this is a Fender Mexico Strat. Mine was made on the 25th August 2002 (the manufacturing date is printed on the back of the pickguard). It's got 21 normal frets and a maple fingerboard. Unlike the "normal" Mexico Strats mine has an ash body with flamed maple top (beautiful guitar). It came with a patented Fender floating bridge and stock tuners. The pickups were a bit bad ok they were very bad. But I never even took it home with the stock pickups. I had them replaced with dimarzio fast track 2 before I took it home. Not anything special with regards to features but a beautiful body none the less. // 6

Sound: I'll put this straight dont expect a good distortion sound out of any Fender standard pickup. However the stock pickups are a charm when used with a clean chanel. Right now I'm using Dimarzio rail pickups (no hum). I run the Fender directly into my Laney Tube Fusion Effects 300. However when effect are needed I also put in my DigiTech RP200A into the rig. Sometimes I use the pedal only and connect it directly into a mixer or something of the sort. Obviosly I have a setting that replicates my amp's sound to perfection. TIP: When using an effects pedal always make sure you have a noise suppressor activated. It not only eliminates hum but it also eliminated any other shitty noises produces by unwanted vibration of stings. If used with a decent effects pedal, I'd say that the stock sound of this guitar is fairly decent and good enough to please even the most pikky of audiences. Believe me I actually record songs with stock mexico strats and if run through a noise gate and a decent effects unit the sound is as good as any PRS. Hence a good verdict with regards to sound. A flashy 4. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factroy set up doesn't count. I mean come on. It was made in Mexico. I don't think any Mexican employee can even play the guitar let alone set it up. However the action was perfect from the shop (I'm certain they set them up). With regards to the finish it was a beauty totally flawles. Even after almost a year f ownership it still is as good as new and believe me, I shred hard on this guitar. Very hard. With regards to the pickups selector Switch those are only noisy if these conditoins are satisfied: 1) You have a crappy set of pickups 2) You aren't holding the strings and therefore cause sring vibrations 3) You're using high gain distortion 4) You dont have a noise suppressor. Therefore, I'll give it a five. Only crappy guitarists need super quality guitars to overcome simple problems. // 10

Reliability & Durability: All guitars will withstand live playing. It's bashing the instrument up against the wall that this guitar will not withstand. The hardware does seem like it will fail quickly however it does oxidise quickly (that's my fault for living in malta). The original strap butons were a bit crappy so I replaced them with the dunlop strap locks (the best). I gigged many times with this guitar it never failed to please me and the crowd. Also if a locking tremalo system is installed the guitar will never go out of tune its quite decent as it is however. But locking tuners and a roller nut are a must for heavy trem users. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for over eight years now going into my ninth. I think that makes me a fairly over the average guitarist who know's what he's talking about. I don't own a lot of gear for the simple reason that I dont use it. Basically I own 2 electric guitars: an ESP LTD M-50 fitted with awesome Emg Hz4 pickups and this Fender which is now fitted with dimarzio rail pickups, a locking tremalo system, TBX and an active misboost ciruit. I also own a Laney TFX 300 amp (a beauty) and a DigiTech RP200A effects pedal (rarely used). However now I'm thinking about getting the boss V-Wah which is an amazing pedal. If this guitar was lost or stolen, I wouldn't bother hunting the son of a bitch down myself. I'd probably call in scotland yard and the military to look for him and decapitate his face. No seriously I would be very sad indeed because I would have lost a treasure. But I wouldn't buy the same guitar next time. Just because guitars like mine are rare in malta and I dont like waiting however I'd buy a guitar with the same specs and probably different color. I compared this guitars to heaps of others including the american strats, Standard Strat basically all the exisiting strats in the world. I chose this one for its beautiful finish. I knew that no matter what Strat I got I would have had the pickups changed therefore I went for beauty. I know it sounds stupid but it really disappionted me that my guitar didn't come with a nice neckplate with the Fender logo and all. I mean even crappy squires have them why not a Fender? O well I guess this ends my review. And for all those people that say that Fender Mexico Strat are badly made guitars. I'd advise them to stuff their snobbery up their ass and try one out. As long as the wood is of good quiality you've always got a good quility guitar body with not so good electronics and those can be replaced easily. // 10

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: My Strat is a 2004, Mexican made (save $$). The neck is maple, modern C, full size, 22 frets in rosewood, the body is alder, in black w/white pick guard and polyester coated, the tuners are Fender/Ping standard cast/sealed, the bridge is standard floating with whammy, there are three pickups two single coils and one humbucker at the bridge position, it has one master volume and two tone controls. // 8

Sound: I play mostly classic rock, but have a lot of country beginings as well as a lot of acoustical time and this guitar handles all these perfectly, I currently play through a Marshall MG100DFX with no devices and this baby rocks. There is some slight buzz with hands off the strings, but only with amp in channel 2 and the overdrine on in the humbucker position. This guitar does it all from clean flat top to full on metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I was disappointed with the factory setup, the top string buzzed, the intonation was a mess and the floating bridge was sloppy. The standard pickups were ok but this wasn't my first rodeo so I replaced them with 2 Seymour Duncan SSl5's and a Seymour Distortion humbucker, I also had the bridge redone w/ more springs had it planted nearly flat to stop the tuning from wandering, I replaced the Fender strings with D'Addario 9's, (I like to bend), with only the string height left I had the tech bring them all the way down to buzz and then up one notch, now the action is amazing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I bought a basic Fender, bolted on the right stuff and now this is one fine guitar, without spending thousands, this guitar could, if I played live, with no problems. I might upgrade the tuners and bridge and lock them down and both positions, besides that, I'll probably will this off when I die. Everything about a Fender is quality and you can feel it when you hold one. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, country and a little classical, and this gutiar can pull it all off, I was considering a Les Paul but unlike this setup with the humbucker on the bridge I can sound like a Paul but the Les cound'nt sound like my Strat. If someone stole this guitar I would find them, beat them with it, then just keep on playing music with it. // 10

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: I bought this Strat (Mexican) in Feb '05 it was new so I guess it's a 2005 model. It has 21 medium frets rosewood fingerboard alder body and finished in artic white. The bridge is a standard srat bridge is guess, strings are thru body, 5-way selector Switch and 3 standard single coil pickups. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits my style perfectly, I play classic rock blues and a little country, I am using a Vox Valvetronix amp and have to say that it sounds superb through it! The guitar has a bright sound and all the typical Fender sounds you'd expect. But it's also very versatile using slight distortion from the amp and it's possible to get warmer tones. In fact the sounds are endless! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up quite well from the factory the action was a slightly higher than my own personal taste so I adjusted the bridge so it lies flat to the body and now the action is perfect for me, But hey, it's all about personal taste, the pickups are good but if I were to play at very high volumes in large arena's then I would change them. But they're ok really. All the other hardware is fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Iv'e only played live once since buying this guitar and it stood up superbly no feedback or unnecseary noise, And I think with proper care this guitar would last me a long time, I would certainly use it at a gig without backup, Very reliable, the finish seems very durable. // 8

Overall Impression: It suits my style of music at the moment which I blues, rock, and a little country music which I've been playing for about 26 years, I've had Gibson Les Pauls and a 335 Dot which were supberb guitars. But I fancied something a little different and if you do go for a Strat (even a mexican one). I played an American Strat at the time of buying this one and would say that I couldn't find much difference not 300 worth anyway, I love the sound (sounds)! And love the effects you can get even behind the nut! // 10

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: I got this new, so I guess it's a 2004 model Mex. Strat. I got this in Jan. 2005 on clearance at Guitar Center. It has 21 rounded frets and it has an ash body, so it is kinda heavy. Passive pickups, standard factory tuners, string thru body design. Model number MZ3236825. Strats kick it! // 10

Sound: This guitar has the most excellent, warm sound I have ever been able to get from a Fender Strat. The pickups are kind of noisy if you aren't holding them, but that is only if you use high, high gain distortion (I am talkin' freakin' death metal distortion). I use this guitar with an Ibanez 50-watt practice amp and a Boss SD-1 Overdrive pedal. It sounds great. I play mainly anywhere from Neil Young to Van Halen, so it a has decent whammy system. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came ready to play except for that annoying plastic over the pickguard. My guitar has no flaws that I have discovered in a half a year and countless times playing it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would survive a freakin tank shell! It is solid ash! I did change the strap buttons, but that was because I play with it standing up all the time, and I needed something more reliable than the factory set (Same with all other guitars for me). // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 4 years, and this is one of the best guitars (next to a Gibson Les Paul overprice) and I can see myself playing this 20 years down the line. I play folk-rock, classic rock and New Wave Of British heavy metal. // 10

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: kmc123, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: North Jersey Guitar

Features: I don't know what year it was made, but this guitar has some good qualities. 21 frets, thin neck for good playin, and a solid top. It's got a nice sunburst finish to it with fender-style tremelo. The Strat contains 3 single-coil pickups for that good old Fender Vintage sound in which I especially like in a guitar. It included a case too when I bought it so at least that was good. // 10

Sound: I'm more of an all around person when it comes to playin music but I mostly play blues and jazz. The Fender Strat's sound provides great tone for whatever type of music style you play, and the 5 way pickup switching for the single coils help you get that type of modern or Vintage sound you want. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this used but the guy who had it first only played it 2 or 3 times so basically it was brand new. No flaws when I first bought and played it and it didn't have any problems to begin with. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I use this guitar when I play with my band and to practice with. It's really durable for a Fender and the hardware would last a long time. The salesperson said that it should last almost forever which is good, but in a gig I wouldn't depend on it fully. I would bring a backup incase it has some trouble. The finish on it is good enough, but it might wear off in somewhat a while when I play a lot with it, but its fair and should make due. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playin guitar for 3 years and I could be any happier with this Fender Strat. The most important things that I like about this guitar was the price, the thin neck for easy playin across the fretboard, and the nice sound it gives when I play it with my Genz-Benz amp. If I ever had it stolen or lost it, I would definetly buy another one of these babies. I'm satisfied with the way it is and it beat out all of the other guitars that I compared it with. // 10

Purchased from: Musikverkstan

Features: This is a "Classic '60s" model Mexican Strat. Black w/white pickguard, lacquered neck, rosewood fretboard, "Original Contour Body" on the headstock. Stock single-coil pickups, 5-way selector, Fender 250s strings. I took home a Mexican Standard Strat as well, to compare with. (The "Classic '60s" model was around (the equivalent of) 750 USD, whereas the Standard Strat cost 600 bucks - Sweden is notoriously pricey). The Standard Strat has a flatter fretboard, and the neck's got a rougher finish - not quite the smooth feel of the Classic '60s Strat. // 10

Sound: I bought this Strat mainly for bluesy rock leads (think Waters/Gilmour), and it just sounds distinctly like a Strat. I wouldn't buy this guitar for playing death metal - remember, no humbuckers here - but presumably you buy a Strat because you like the classic Strat sound(s), and this guitar sounds awesome. The Standard Strat was a bit louder, but didn't have that distinct Strat sound that I was looking for. I haven't heard any Strats produce a Fender sound this distinct outside of American Strats that cost thousands of dollars. I say, if you're gonna buy a Mexican Strat, spend a few bob more and get this model. It's well worth it. (This one was on sale, so I dunno how much it usually costs, but I presume the Swedish "on-sale" price is more than the regular US price). The Mexican Standard is a guitar - the Mexican Classic '60s Strat is a Strat. The tone is quite versatile, too - the 5-way Switch and the volume and tone knobs can coax quite a few sounds out of this one. Oh, and the clean sounds (no distortion) are amazing. I play this through an old trusty Fender Princeton Chorus combo (a two-speaker combo amp). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action, fit & finish: all very nice. A slight, slight dent/scratch on one fret, but you get five of those within a year of gigging. This guitar looks and feels great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Reliability & durability - well, I expect it to last, given that it wasn't exactly cheap. I put my old Jap Strat through hell for years, and it was sturdy and could take (and took) quite a few beatings, so I expect the same of this one. I trust Fender to make reliable stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar just sounds and looks great. I'm head over heels in love with it already. It's a Strat with a capital S. Again, keep in mind that this is a rock/blues guitar and it's not really suited for playing metal rhythm guitar. But I wouldn't put a humbucker in this baby - this is a tone you just don't f--k with. // 10

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: VLVTRVOLVR13, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: SamAsh

Features: Its features include a maple neck with maple fretboard with 21 frets. It has an alder body and Sage Green Metallic finish which looks really cool. It has a Standard Stratocaster bridge and basic 5 way split tone controls. The pickups are three single coils. Had I know the difference between a single and a humbucker I would have gone with the fat Strat. // 9

Sound: I bought this a starter guitar mostly becuase of its versatility. I knew I was going to be playing rock like Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, The Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, Offspring, Jimmy Eat World, Velvet Revolver. There all very different groups, and with my Mexican made Strat I can make all those sounds. It has a nice bright sound and the humming is surprisingly low on my guitar. The switching ability makes it quite versatile. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: There was nothing wrong with this guitar. I know some people are suspicious about MIM Strats becuase of their quality. All I can say is play the guitar you are gonna buy. I played a few differenct strats before I settled on this becuase I could see that it was made with no dings and from a noobs perspectective everything looked right. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well for 8 months it has held up and I cant complain except the strap pegs. The Strat will sometimes pop out but you can buy locks. There are one or two dings in the guitar. The finish is fine. The only thing I would advise is not using it for gigging, unless you have changed the pickups. Through a small practice amp there isnt a noticeability in the sound quality when playing on live gear. I'm putting in swineshead pickups just to improve quality. // 8

Overall Impression: I play overall modern rock which this guitar is great for. It's a little above average for your starter guitar, but it is one you will keep and most likely customize or overhaul. I wouldn't buy another unless it were american. I didn't compare becuase as soon as I played I knew it was right for me. What I love about it is the neck, which feels awesome in my hands and is very comfortable. Deffinately a great starter guitar! // 9

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: living2shred, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Simms Music

Features: The Strat I chose is Fat, this means it has a 2 standard 1 humbucking pickup setup. It has 5 Switch settings for those pickups including: neck, neck & center, center, center & humbucker, & humbucker. Volume and 2 tone controls are given. The body is alder. The neck is made of Maple and the fretboard rosewood. There are 21 frets which is kind of dissapointing but still adequate. // 9

Sound: I play classic rock, jazz, and blues style music and use a Peavey Classic 30 amp with it. This guitar fits my styles perfectly. The humbucker gives the rock sounds I need and the standard pickup selections handle all the clean playing. I can still get the open clean tones that you would need for jazz playing though it is not as good for jazz as a semi-hollow its versatility makes up for it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory the action was better than any other guitar I had played in the store. I prefer a thin neck and very little action and this guitar was the best in the store for me. The pickups didn't need anyother adjusting and their were no flaws but I did get a custom set up after I bought and made the guitar even sweeter. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have played and am playing with several bands and it is great for performances. I had one problem with it when the connector for the chord came loose but I tightened it up myself easily. The finish hasn't had a scratch since I bought it. // 9

Overall Impression: You can make money with this guitar it will do just about everything. It is great for every level of playing. I couldn't by this guitar again because mine just happens to be the rare lake placid blue color and is not replacable. I love the versatility of the guitar because of the 5 pickup settings. But what sold it was how it felt compared to the Les Pauls and the SG and the Ibanez. I liked the way it felt in my hands the most. Its not the priciest guitar but it has everything you would ever need. // 10

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: pigglesworth, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Zenith Music

Features: Maple fretboard, 3 single coil pickups, classic tremelo, the usual. It came with nothing but a brief instruction manual and warranty card. There aren't too many features a guitar can have and this has most of them. // 8

Sound: Sounds great for some things, not so good for others. You would be stupid to buy a single-coiled Strat with plans of playing hard rock or metal. Sounds great for the classic Strat sound, sounds nice clean or with distortion. However the pickups are as basic as they come; although they sound good, the slightest amount of electrical interference creates a lot of noise with a single pickup selected and still some when out of phase. Nice trebly bridge position, deeper sounding middle and neckk for playing rhythm or clean. For that Hendrix sound, a lot of classic rock and anything undistorted, this is the guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Fairly average setup, low E string can rattle a little sometimes, the tuning pegs needed tightening (not a big deal)and the pickups are adjusted OK, however I find that none of the pickups seem to pick up the high e string as much as the other strings, compared to other guitars there seems to be a difference, though this is probably a unique thing to my guitar and is in need of adjustment. The wine red finish is nice, it has a great neck for playabillity. The only problem I've had is a terrible earthing problem that my music shop seems aprehensive to fix. They have tried to tell me it's a problem with my town's power, my amp, leads but it's not. When I am not touching anything metal on myguitar it buzzes like mad. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable, almost unbreakable. Strap buttons are solid, the strap will slip off before they come the slightest bit loose. Appart from the factory strings having a tendancy to break very easily, I can't see how you could damage this guitar by accident and the hardware will last. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar, especially for the price. I've been playing a bit under a year but I know a good sounding and playing guitar when I use one and this is great. The earthing problem is a one off I know and that's why I am going to get it fixed under warranty. If it suits your style of music get it. All strats generally look great, and the maple neck looks good and sounds greatalso. If it were stolen I would be a Mexican Fat Strat simply for more versatillity. I'm going to put a nice Seymour Duncan humbucker in the bridge position to give me some hard rock/metal playabillity and then it will be the perfect guitar for me! // 9

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: RelientKaddict, on november 09, 2012

Features: Oh my. Year, about seven or eight years ago. Made in Mexico, of course. 21 Frets, 25" scale, thin, almost classic fretwire, maple meck and fingerboard. I'm pretty sure the body is Ash. The neck is maple. A nice, solid finish. Sparkly though. Strat-style body (hello, it is a Strat). A plain, string through body Fender tremolo bridge, passive electronics, 1 volume, 2 tone, 5-way selector, which allows hum canceling in positions 2 and 4. 3 single coil pickups, model etc. unknown. Non-locking Fender/Schaller tuning machines. Gig bag and strap included. // 7

Sound: I play anything from folky James Taylor style stuff, to The Beatles, to AC/DC, to Guns N' Roses, to Relient K. It works well for all of them. I use a Crate GX-10 Amplifier, a Zoom 505 II Guitar multi-effect pedal, and a Boss OS-2 overdrive/distortion Pedal. It's only noisy on the bridge pickup setting, due to common single-coil hum. It has a sound range that can go from bright, rocky, super full, to darker rock stuff, to bright, rich, bluesy sounds. It can make anything from acoustic sounding fingerstyle to heavy punk rock to heavy metal. It's very versatile. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little stiff, but I've come to prefer that now. The pickups weren't adjusted right for my style of playing and music from the beginning. The routing etc. was all really good. The bridge is rusty, and the tuning machines loosen up every couple of string changes, but, it still rocks. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'd never play without a backup. Yeah, it'll last. The strap buttons are rock solid. It's a Stratocaster. You can depend on it alright. The finish hasn't worn much at all. It's a good finish. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a great match to my style of music. I've played a little over 1 1/2 years. A Crate GX-10 amp, Zoom 505 II Guitar pedal, Boss OS-2 overdrive/distortion Pedal, Bently guitars, Lotus bass guitar. No, I couldn't have thought of anything before I got the guitar. I'd buy it again. It'd break my bank, but, yeah, I'd buy it again. I love the sound, the tone, the action. I hate the fact that I don't have Humbuckers when I need them. I wish it had humbuckers with coil-taps. // 8

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: jimm, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar is seriously lacking in the hardware department. The tremolo bar (Vintage-style tremolo) will not stay put (it rolls out of my reach as soon as I let go of it), the pickguard has started to bulge in the center, and the Fender tuners (non-locking) do a bad job of holding it in tune. The neck has 21 medium frets, and after upgrading to a warmoth guitar with compund radus fretboard, this neck seems very substandard for lead playing. It has a solid midnight blue satin finish, which is actually purple. My dads $150 Oscar Schmidt OE-30 has better hardware than this. // 4

Sound: This pickups do not sound good at all if you try to play any form of rock on it, and with speed-metal palm muting, it all kind of becomes indistinct and fuzzy. I used it with into a Dunlop Crybaby, Boss CH-1 Chorus, Danelectro Flanger, and a DigiTech RP80, into a Roland Cube 15 amp (very good buy, btw), so I dont thinnk in was my equipments fault. The sound is not in any way full or rich, kind of thin. It doesnt really make all that much noise, but it does make a bit on high-gain settings. The bridge pickup is overly trebley and thin, while the other two single coils are way too bassy even with tone at 10, everything gets lost in just a little distortion. I would not really recommend this guitar to anyone but beginners, unless you plan on swapping the pickups as soon as you get it. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar had fairly high action at the factory. The routing seems to be fine. There are just some odd, seemingly purposeless circular indents under the pickguard. The nut seems to be cut a little low on my guitar, causing some minor buzz. Other than that, it seems ok. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems pretty relaible. Scratches and dents do not really show up in the satin finish, and I have hit it quite hard against metal mic stands, snare stands, the computer table I'm at, etc. I do not really trust the bridge to keep it in tune with whammy antics. I would and have gigged it without a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I play hard rock and metal (slayer, earlier Metallica, Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold, that kind of stuff), and the pickups really are not suited to high gain settings. I wish I had just not went "Fender, must be a good guitar" when I was buying it. If it was stolen, I would go buy an ESP LTD. they have many awesome guitars for around $200. I really only compared it with squiers, and it sounded good against those. I wish it had a stop bridge, as the tremolo just completely whacks it out of tune. // 5

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: Fender_Metal, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Mudic Go Round

Features: This is a Fender Stratocaster made in Mexico which I bought used about a year ago. It has 22 frets on a rosewood board. The board sits on a maple neck with a matching headstock. The neck is slightly curved on mine and the truss rod is a great hassle to deal with. Buying one of these new may solve that problem, because I didn't do anything to it, however I bought in used. The Strat body has a regular finish on it. There are three stock single coil pickups with a 5 way selector switch. It has two tone knobs (which only alter one pickup each) and a volume. Standard wiring, nothing special. Standard Fender tuners which can come out of tune frequently, but you get what you pay for I guess. // 7

Sound: While made in mexico, it is still a Strat. It sounds great out of any amp. I personally use a line six spider II 30 watt amp which I play through my other guitarist's PA system. When I use effects, I use a DigiTech RP-400 pedal. There is a delay from guitar to pedal to amp, but that's not the guitar's fault. I have Ernie Ball Slinky strings and they are very versatile. The only problem I face is the extreme noise heard when using any one pickup at a time. I have to play with two to even be able to think while not playing. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: As I have already said, the guitar's neck is slightly curved. When played aggressively, the strings make that vibration type sound on the base of the neck which is very annoying and greatly reduces the ability to sustain a note. The frets are not that solid either. Simply pushing the sring to the fretboard too hard can 'cause the entire chord to sound out of tune. The freboard is very comfortable and decently fast though. Everything else seems to be fine. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The only place I would dare take this guitar is the studio. It is a spectacular studio guitar, however during heavy play (like any movement or pulling the guitar for visual effect) will cause the guitar to bend the note. I would bring this as a backup. I would avoid using this as a main guitar if I could hep it. You could survive playing this, but I much prefer a Gibson or ESP or even an American Strat. // 5

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal and them, along with punk. I never play country and never will. This is a good guitar for capturing a heavy sound but bee ready to turn the trebble up on your equipment. The noise on the single coil treble pickup is almost unbearable and I was forced to reset all of my amp settings once I permanently switched to the 2nd Switch position. It's been a nice guitar, and it was a giant leap up from my Silvertone guitar which I previously owned. I would feel like an idiot if I continued to play this while there were gibsons out there. // 8

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: flyingv_m3, on november 09, 2012

Features: Not exactly sure what year, I'm guessing early to mid '90s. Mexican made Fender Stratocaster. Standard 21 jumbo frets. rosewood fretboard, I'm pretty sure. I'm guessing alder wood for the body and maple for the neck. Black with a whie pickguard. Fender tremelo. The 2 tones and 1 vol. 5-way selector. 3 single coils. Fender non locking tuners. Regular Stratocaster body. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of different styles, blues, classic rock, rock, hard rock, a little metal, thats about it. It plays blues and some classic rock very well, but the pick ups are just really weak and hum a little at high volume. suits my style ok. I use mostly a Marshall MG100DFX with a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal and a Dunlop Original Crybaby wah wah pedal. It sounds really good, like a Hendrix sound if you put the wah wah after distortion. It's noisy at high volume like I said. It has a twangy type of sound but really nice when its clean. Sort of a deep, bright, hollowish sound. I get some pretty good sounds out of it but it doesn't sound as good as American made Strats. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little high at first with guage 9's, but I slapped on some guage 10 strings and it was better. overall it was pretty good, the tremelo was kinda tilted up, so you couldn't really do big dives or anything, but it was good. Pickups were fine, just not very high output or anything, mediocre. No apparent flaws, everything was good. The metal on the exposed pickups kind of like come off a little after a while, but nothing serious. The input jack was a little loose, but I tightened it. everything else was in good condition. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yea, it could most likely withstand live playing. Not that I would actually use it to play live since it sounds crappy, but yea it could last. The hardware is all fine, except the pick ups are way too weak. I would change those and that's about it. The strap buttons work fine, they feel solid unless your flinging the guitar around. I would not gig this without a backup but it is definetley dependable. The finish seems pretty good, I like it. It has shown no signs of wear and I have had it for about 2 and a half years. // 9

Overall Impression: Again, I play mostly classic rock, hard rock, some metal and blues. This guitar is not really for heavy stuff at all but blues and classic rock it matches up well. I have been playing for about a little less than 2 years. I also have a Fender Frontman Reverb amp (30watt). And I have a black 1992 Gibson LP Standard with a Duncan JB humbucker in the bridge. And 2 Peavey Wolfgang copies in EVH red, black, and white colors. And an Ibanez GAX70. If my Strat was stolen I would definitely try and get it back. I would probly buy an american one instead though. or one with H/S/S pickup configuration. I hate the pickups with a passion but everything else is cool with me. I got this guitar as a gift so I didn't compare it to anything else, but I wish it had a better tremelo, humbucker, and or one of those polished maple necks b/c they're so smooth. // 8

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: SugarRush66, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Soundcontrol - Edinburgh

Features: I don't know about most of the features nut here are some. 21 fret maple neck, very easy to play. Classic Strat body, reasonably light. 5-way selector switch, two tone controls and one volume control. The tuner is a bit dodgy but only because it's factory standard, it's good enough for most people but pros would probably buy a better make. Three standard single-coil pickups. // 9

Sound: Using it with either a 15W Crate practise amp or a Fender 30W amp for band practise, a Boss DS-1 Distortion, a Boss CS-3 Compressor, a Boss ME-50 multi-effects, D'addario strings and Dunlop 1mm Tortex picks. Good for almost any musical style, bar really heavy metal - one of the most versitile makes of guitar around. Significantly noisy when you have only one pickup selected and you have distortion, very quick to give feedback. But that's an issue with most single-coils, if it bothers you get a humbucker! Just turn down the guitar's volume and the noisy goes away. Found it was too sharp on my practise amp but sound really warm and rounded on a better quality, bigger amp. I almost exclusively use the bridge pickup which sounds very clear and warm on a good amp. The other pickups all sound good and when mixing two together (selector Switch 2 or 4) the sounds are great // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Most of it was well set-up but the bridge became a problem, after a while. It started to move away from the body of the guitar even though I barely tuned it or used the whammy bar. But I took it back and, using the one free service you get within the one-year warrenty, I got it sorted. Plays like a dream now. Power, and bar-chords are so easy now, takes almost no effort. Bends are quite good but that's not the type of music I play. I keep it very simple. Pickup selector is smooth and I can't hear any noise when switching between pickups, even though I barely do that. It was probably just the individual guitar that was the problem and not the make. Also, mine was an ex-display model so it hadn't been properly set-up for a while. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The hardware all seems good and solid. For me, an amateur guitarist, or for anyone bar the pros and the very fussy, the hardware should last them as long as the guitar does. Only thing I would change would be the tuners but that's a minor thing. Strap never falls off, ever. I have no choice regarding a backup, as this is my only guitar. But if I had more I would use them to give different sounds, not as backup because this seems totally solid. The finish on mine is still perfect after a year, apart from a tiny scratch where I hit it against the side of my car and then my amp. // 10

Overall Impression: Wonderful. I would recommend checking that the bridge is staying in position but, apart from that, it is great for nearly everyone. It is s touch trebly but that can easily be solved by turning the tone down. A great buy for any price less than 350. // 9

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: SummertimeBlues, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar Junction

Sound: This really is an amazingly versatile guitar, I play quite a few styles and it handles them all really well. Using my AVT-50 combo I can get nice clean, crisp sounds but if I need to I can also crank it up for great heavier rock, although it can sound a little thin due to the single coils. For blues sounds I use a Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal, which is satisfactory but again could benefit from higher output pickups just to get more of a 'crunch'. Anything that needs to beefy, I use a Zoom G2.1u with the 'extreme distortion' setting. I was actually really surprised at this as I expected there to be loads of hum but luckily there wasn't as much as you might expect. Bridge pickup is too bright for my liking but you can minimise this with by the turning the bass up a bit. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't comment on the factory set-up because this is second hand (as all great guitars should be). However, the action was set up in store and is nice and low. Playability at the first few frets is really good due to a nice low nut, which really makes it easier to play the lower chords. P/ups were also adjusted in store, but I've raised them a bit to get a bit more volume of them. Like I said before, I've replaced the bridge with a Wilkinson Vintage tremelo, but the original was good enough, and was well routed and everyting. The only 'flaw' as such was that the frets were a little low and are too quiet when you play above the 12th fret. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've not gigged it live yet but it's withstood a few falls from its' stand without a mark on it. It is an extremely solid guitar without being heavy or too bulky too throw around. The original bridge did start to oxidise a bit but nothing too bad, it wouldn't have affected the playability or tuning or anything. Strat buttons are medium sized and hold the strap on pretty well, but I've got strap locks just in case anyway. I would definitely use it at a gig without a backup if I had to seeing as it's so versatile but that's the best idea in the world as you'll look a right idiot if anything does go wrong and you're left with no guitar! // 9

Overall Impression: I play some blues, punk, a bit of heavy rock and the occasional metal song. It matches most of them well, but I wouldn't really play metal on it all the time because of the single coils being too weak for it to work 'properly'. I've been playing about 2 and a half years, also have an Aria Strat copy as a backup and have also had a Les Paul and an SG in the past. This trumps the Aria in every aspect but just can't beat the humbuckers in the other 2 for heavy rock. If it were stolen I'd get another Fender but maybe get the Highway One Strat just to make the jump to American made guitars. I particularly like the clean sounds cos they're so crisp without having too much treble. I almost bought an Epiphone Les Paul Standard instead of this, but cos my musical style changes from day to day I felt this was better value for money as it can do a wider range of sounds. // 8

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: barbasol, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: local shop

Sound: I play a wide variety of music and the Strat, even for a mexican, deals with everything well. I can go from playing blues scales on the neck pickup through the clean channel to some heavily distorted punk or metal on the bridge pickup without problem. I play through a Marshall valvestate with 2 12" celestions in it. There is some noise when you take your hands off the strings or tremolo, mostly on the distorted tube channels. As with all fenders, there is that tone and brightness that you can only get from a Fender. this guitar plays everything. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was decently set-up out of the factory, but recieved some work from a luthier before it came to be what it is now. The pickups were adjusted so that they were all flat, but I took care of that one. Everything else was fine and to this day I've yet to find a defect. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It has and will withstand Live shows. Most of the hardware is great except for 2 screws on the pickgaurd that began to rust slightly. The strap buttons are great and I have yet to find a need to purchase strap locks. It is very a very dependable guitar. The finish is great with only a few small nicks on the fron that are hardly noticeable. It hasn't worn at all after playing for at least an hour a day every day for two years. // 8

Overall Impression: I usually play classic rock, punk, and blues and it works perfect. I've been playing for about three years now. I have the Marshall, as mentioned before, along with a Fender mini deluxe amp, which is quite fun. the only other thing I use regularly is a Standard die cast cry baby. I never felt a need to ask anything else. I would probably buy something else, only due to the fact the I prefer a Gibson or american Strat. I love almost everything about it, except for the rosewood fretboard, I wish I would have gotten the solid maple neck instead, even though the rosewood looks better. I would have to say that I like the five way Switch and the fact that there are different sounds from each pickup. I was choosing between this and a Gibson SG Special, and chose this only because it had a better value for the money. as of now, I'm looking for a Gibson es 345 for the best price I can get. // 9

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: jhardcore, on november 09, 2012

Features: I got a Fender Mexican Fat Strat H/S/S. The neck has medium 21 frets, and feels very nice to play. The Guitar itself is made out of alder. It has a usual Strat style bridge where the strings go through the body. The tremolo system is very nice. Obviously not the greatest compared to other guitars out there, but it sure does the job. The tuners are very nice as well. They are not at all loose, and keep the guitar in tune very well. I rarely have to tune this guitar. It has 2 tone knobs, a volume knob and a 5-way pickup selector switch as you would expect.The guitar came with a free gig bag, as well as a whammy bar, user's manual, a sticker and some other bits and pieces. Overall I am very pleased with it's features. // 9

Sound: I usually play punk and rock music, and occasionally other things such as country. I play it from a Fender 25W Frontman amp. Playing with distortion is probably this guitar's biggest weakness. It does not have the greatest pickups for loud, attacking distortion. Even though I would considered it good, it is definitely not mind blowing. The humbucker is probably better than a single coil I suppose. On the other hand, without distortion it does sound mind blowing. Just a strum of some simple open chords such as D, C, G, Em and others is all it takes for an absolutely beautiful sound. This sounds best on the neck pickup. I love it how versatile this guitar is. Be it punk, rock, blues or country, the Strat can play it! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up extremely well in the factory. I cannot find any flaws in the action, pickups, or anything else. The selector switch is good, and so are the tuning pegs. There is not a whole lot I can say here. It was pretty much spot on. I could not ask for any more! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar certainly seems as though it will last Live playing. As I look over it, one thing that I notice is how solid it is. The pickguard screwed down solidly, the strap buttons are nice and firm, the pickup selector Switch is not loose. Everything on it seems like it is made to last and perform to a very high Standard. A lot of people say that Mexican Strats are poorly built compared to USA ones. This could not be further from the truth. I definitely believe I could depend on this guitar. If I had a gig I would take backup just in case, but I would be 99.9% sure I would not need it. // 10

Overall Impression: As mentioned earlier, I usually play punk and rock music, and this suits those styles very well. It could probably improve with some new pickups, but I am certainly not worried. The guitar I had before this was a Squier. This absolutely blitzes it in any way possible. It sounds, looks, feels and generally performs better. Should this guitar be stolen, I would hunt down the person Who stole it and give them a beating they would never forger. If I could not recover it, I would beat up the thief, steal their wallet, and use their money to by this guitar again. I truly love everything about this guitar. The way it feels to play as absolutely amazing. So if you are wondering, "Should I get a Fender Mexican Strat as apposed to an American one", the answer is "Yes, you most certainly should". I intend buying a USA Strat when I get the money, but for now, this absolutely beautiful guitar is the only one I need! // 9

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: BagelBruin, on november 09, 2012

Features: I've had this guitar for about four months. The serial number claims that it is a 2001 model. It's also left-handed, and it came with a hard case. It has a beautiful "Midnight Blue" (I think that's what they call it) glossy finish. The neck is maple and has a nice rosewood fretboard and 21 medium-jumbo frets. At first look, this guitar is what Canadians call, "a beauty!" It came Standard with Fender Schaller non-locking tuners and a Vintage style bridge. It has three single-coil pickups and a 5-way selector, along with 1 volume and 2 tone controls, giving it a huge variety of sound. // 8

Sound: I play any kind of rock: soft rock, hard rock, rock rock, rock n' roll, but none of that grunge, metal, or emo stuff. I must say, the 5-way Switch offers a nice selection of sound for what I play, as well as other genres such as blues or jazz. The neck pickup alone gives you a nice, warm, and clean sound, as does the neck-middle pickup combination, too. Heading further down, a more bright sound is produced. The bridge-middle combination is very fun to play on. It produces a "Surf Music" sound as I like to call it. The bridge pickup alone has a bright, open, almost crunchy sound to it. Seventy-five percent of the time I am using the bridge pickup w/ overdrive on. I use a Squier Champ 15 amplifier with the mid and high on 5 or 6, the bass on 1 or 2, and the reverb on 4. The gain is anywhere from zero, which gives it slight fuzz, all the way to 7 for some good ole' rock. I have to say, the guitar has only a little background noise when on the bridge pickup, but none at all on all the others. Very nice sound (if you already didn't get that). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As far as quality goes, this is a good guitar. In fact, that's really all that differs between this guitar and the USA Stratocaster. However, this is still a solid guitar. When I received this, it was obviously taken well care of by it's previous owner. All electric hardware was intact and working. I have not had to replace, repair, etc. anything on this except the strings, but, heck, they're strings. The neck is still nice and straight. The tension-adjustable tuners offer the firmness for the player's needs. I have never had any tuning problems; I usually tune my guitar frequently, not because the tuners are bad, only because I feel light tuning it every day. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is as solid as a rock, maybe even more solid. The finish has no blemishes. I usually polish my guitar about once a week. My guitar strap has never fallen off when I don's want is to. As far as gigs go, this is a very dependable guitar. It has always made up to my expectations. I like to play real hard on guitar, and all I can say it that it's held up so far! I really do think that this is a very reliable guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I highly recommend this guitar to any beginner, or perhaps anyone Who wants a Strat by not an empty bank account. It is very adaptable to any style of play. I love this guitar! If it were to be replaced, I would get another one of these or a MIJ (made in Japan) Strat. Even with Standard hardware, this has just about everything I need: variety, quality, sound, stability and looks. I do however recommend upgrading to some newer saddles to improve tuning stability even more. This is truly a great deal and an even better guitar! Not only that, but it has a great resale. Hey, at the price I got mine, I may even make money. Three cheers for the Mexican Stratocaster! // 8

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: neoamir, on november 09, 2012

Features: made in 1992 21 frets on a maple neck and rosewood top 25.5 scale fender stock pickups basswood body (yeah they had basswood at 92 for strats) 2 tone controls 1 volume 5 way pickup selector great for beginners. i love the Strat style body so i'm off with that but that's different between each person XD // 8

Sound: the problem in mexican strats you can go on a good sounding one or a bad sounding one same price which means - you liked that mex strat buy it! if you didn't like it don't buy it. mine was noisy as singlecoils but later on I changed the bridge pickup to a non traditionally bridge pickup the DiMarzio tone zone it's amazing i've gotta say the neck and middle pickups amaze me everytime i just love em. the guitar is a more blusey jazzy sound by it's own can get mark knofler sounds with singlecoils can do hard rock/metal with a high output humbucker but it won't be ideal. not always that dream sound in your head but can get pretty close. 8 // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: well I've got mine with a free setup from the store cuz it was used... but i know fender's reliability rocks. only that one time the strap holders fell and i needed to get this done but again this guitar is used. 8 because it's reasonable but i don't know the original factory's setup >< // 8

Reliability & Durability: it get's out of tune fast. really fast definetly not a guitar for live performance though a pedal tuner solves the problem >< I'll give it 8 because i can't know how it was unused so i do technical stuff i learnt about it >< but just for notice i did perform with it it balances perfectly and since i have an awesome pedal tuner i'm covered // 8

Overall Impression: this guitar is the starter's regular guitar you may fall on a great factory line or on a bad one use your ear to judge and I gotta say even though it's cheap and not amazing toned i love my Strat - i actually can get my dream tone with her. can't believe? search my youtube account (mirrorstrar) I only wish it had a killswitch and better tuning stability that turns my guitar to perfect. gonna invest in that soon hehe // 8

Purchased from: ebay

Features: My Strat is a 2006 model and is in midnight wine finish with rosewood fretboard. You can go to any online music store website or Fender website to get all the features. Mine is a lefty and I bought it used off Ebay. Even though it is used, it looks brand new. // 8

Sound: When I got the guitar, I plugged it in to my Peavey Vypyr 30w and ran it throught the paces. This guitar has a great tone through all the models the Vypyr offers. I also used all five switch positions and was not disaapointed. It has a great clean tone and distortion as well. I love the sounds this guitar is capable of. I wish it it had a humbucker in the bridge though. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it used but the set up was perfect and the intonation is dead nuts. The pickups are where I like them and I have no complaints. The finish is flawless, but the pickguard was dirty, probably from the previous owner letting it sit around unused. I love this guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had it a little while now and everything on it seems durable. Its ofur years old and plays perfectly. Fender makes a high quality, decently priced guitar. FOr being four years old the finish is awesome. No fading or discoloration. All the hardware feels and looks good and I believe will last awhile. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing a couple of years. I also own an Agile AL2000 and a Schecter Omen 6 and I love my strat. I love the Agile as well. But it's like having a favorite shirt or pair of jeans. I should have bought a Strat when I first started playing. The Strat is very hard to put down and it is an absolute dream to play. I hope to be playing it for many years to come! // 9

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: SlowerHand, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar was made in Mexico, in 2006. It has 21 frets, I don't know if they have a name but they are pretty thin, set in a Rosewood fretboard. The body has a sunburst finish. I don't think the guitar came with accessories, as all the accessories I got with it are non-Fender brands. // 10

Sound: I play every style of music that can be played on an electric guitar. I play funk, jazz, rock, metal, death metal, and everything inbetween. I am in a metal band. I play this guitar with a Marshall AVT-20. It can have a thick, dark and heavy sound, but of course the bright and sharp sound that many people love this guitar for. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was perfectly set-up from the start. There was one flow in the body before the finish was put on. I know this only because I was told after the shop had inspected it. No one has ever noticed it though. The shop had a quick look at it and finetuned whatever was not perfect, so I do not know how exactly it came from the factory. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I am not exactly easy on my guitar, but it survives the daily torture I make it go through. I don't see why it would not last the test of time (and my aggressive bashing on the guitar). This guitar could (theoretically) handle four guitarists using this guitar simultaneously. // 10

Overall Impression: I play really every kind of music that can be played on an electric guitar(from funk to jazz, from rock to deathmetal), and this guitar has so many voice it can handle anything. I have been playing on this guitar with a Marshall AVT-20 for about half a year and it does everything I could ever want it to do. The only thing that might be it's one imperfection is the slight noise you get when you use the pickup-switch. This is the only guitar I would ever need for anything. I bought it after comparing it to 'that other guitar', the Les Paul. A great guitar, but it simply does not fulfil my versatile needs. // 9

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: jeffo46, on november 09, 2012

Features: Mine is a 2006 MIM sunburst, 60th anniversary Strat. It has 22 frets, alder body, sunburst finish, jumbo frets, and a thicker trem block for more sustain. It has the Standard 5-way switch and 3 single coils, and it did come with a gig bag, which I've since discarded for a hardshell case. // 10

Sound: I play this through a 1997 Peavey Studio Pro 112, straight, with no effects at all. The only thing I use are the distortion and reverb from my amp. That's all I need. I always keep my settings on 10. This guitar can be used for any kind of music, whether you play blues, country, or metal, this is the originator, not the duplicator. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Here's where I had a few slight problems. The intonation wasn't set that well, and the strings were really high off the fretboard, along with a little fret buzz. The pups were adjsuted just fine. The only things I did to this axe, was, change the pickguard to a White Pearloid one, and change the bridge saddles for some graph techs. I also did a spot on intonation and height and truss rod adjustment. Now the action is nice and low with no buzz, and it stays in perfect tune. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I bought this guitar in March 2007, and have since used this at many iggs with no problems what'soever. I can definately depend on it. This is my number one, and it ain't going anywhere. I can definately rely on it. It is very durable. The strap buttons hold very well, and the finish is very nice to look at. All in all, a very reliable and durable instrument. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a Fender, so you know it's gotta be good. I've been plaqying for 35 years, and I do intend to get another one of these down the line. I would definately replace it if anything ever happened to it. This is the best guitar that I have ever had. I would put this up against a American made one any day of the week. // 10

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: SoccerRM1, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: George's music

Features: This Mexican Strat has 21 medium jumbo frets, a rosewood fretboard and has an alder body. The body type is a Stratocaster and has a Standard Strat bridge. The pickups on this baby are 3 passive single coil pickups. It has a 5-way pickup selector, volume knob, and 2 tone knobs. 6 non-locking tuners and came with a gig bag. // 7

Sound: This Standard Strat MIM sounds very good for my music style, which is blues and rock. I use it with a Boss ME-50 multieffect which it sounds very good with. There is a good amount of hum on these pickups in the first third and fifth selector positions. This guitar can produce very clean, sometimes twangy tones and also very bluesy SRV'ish tones in the neck pickup. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is very nice. Low to the frets, but no buzzing that I have encountered. The pickups are geared well for this instrument and sound great right out of the box. I have found no flaws as of yet on this guitar and sounds as good as the day I got it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable, but with any wammying, it can go out of tune rather quickly. The hardware is very durable on this instrument and will last. The strap buttons are very sturdy and there are no second thoughts when it's not on my lap. I would play with this in a gig without a backup for sure. The finish is great. I have not had any significant chips/scrapes of the paint and I intend to keep it that way. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar matches my bluesy tone very well. I have been playing for about 2 years and also own a Boss ME-50 and Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 40w Tube amp (1X12). If this were stolen, I would probably buy an american or american deluxe Strat for the better pickups and overall quality. I love this guitar for its bluesy feel, but sometimes get annoyed at how twangy the bridge pickup sounds. // 9

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: I own a Mexian Strat. I bought it a Guitar center in August of '99. it's has a 21 fret maple neck. When I bought it it had non passive single coils and basically everything stock from the factory. Since then I have changed the pickups to an active EMG Humbucker at the bridge and noiseless Fender single coils at the mid and neck. I have switched the bridge saddles and to graphite and installed locking tuner. The electronics are set up to switch from the active humbucker the passive single coils in a flick of a Switch. It was a separate volume for the the single coils and the humbucker and also separate tones. // 9

Sound: When I bought it it wasn't very fulfilling. After the modifications it has turned into a crazy hybrid type just like my style. I love all styles of music from metal, grunge, classic rock, alternative, blues, jazz, classical to traditional mexican music and spanish language rock. This guitar has guided me to very interesting sounds from a not so bad lead metal tone to fatter jazz tones. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up and hardware and electronics were not satisfying enough so I spent about 300 dollars upgrading. Too much noise when I first got it. and I don't mind noise but it was that unwanted noise, not the noise that I know I made. The pickups were very weak too. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Man this puppy is a monster. I have dropped it so many times, taken in from freezing cold to warm and humid. Have unknowingly streched out the neck in my early days of ownership and man everything has happened to this thing and it's still standing strong. Quite a few bumps on the neck and a few chips for character. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about ten years. I didn't know what I was buying when I first got it but it had turned out to be my baby. I haven't been able to afford any other electric guitars and would love to own a les paul but who wouldn't. meanwhile this thing is one of my favorite things I own. It has character, wierdness and a dash of quality. If they stole this I would very sad and upset. // 10

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: Delboyuk_01, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: PMT, Southend

Features: As I purchased this guitar new, I haven't checked the year but I assume it's 2010 or 2009. Specs Below. Model Name 70s Stratocaster Series Classic Series Colour Natural, (Polyester Finish) Body Ash Neck Maple, U Shape, (Gloss Polyurethane Finish) Fingerboard Rosewood (p/n 013-7000) or Maple (p/n 013-7002), 7.25in Radius (184mm) No. of Frets 21 Vintage Style Frets Pickups 3 Vintage Style Single-Coil Strat Pickups with Alnico Magnets Controls Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Middle Pickup) Pickup Switching 5-Position Blade Bridge Vintage Style Synchronized Tremolo Machine Heads Fender/Schaller Vintage F Style Tuning Machines Hardware Chrome Pickguard 3-Ply White Scale Length 25.5in (648 mm) Width at Nut 1.650in (42 mm) Unique Features U Shape Maple Neck, Large Headstock, 70s Style Decal, Bullet Truss Rod Adjustment Nut, 3-Bolt Neck Plate with Micro-Tilt Neck Adjustment, Synthetic Bone Nut Came with a gig bag and I got a stand and strap for cost price with the guitar. // 10

Sound: I play classic rock mainly, I'm a Gibson person through an through, but I joined a band recently and the songs were all written and recorded with strats by the previous guitarist. A couple of the songs we play don't quite sound right with my SG's so I've bought this, plus I've always wanted a half decent strat. I used it the other night at rehersals and played it through my Marshall jcm800. I don't use loads of effects mainly Chorus, Wah and a Compressor/Sustainer. Wasn't as loud as my SG Classic on the night, when I plugged the Strat in after using my SG, I had to turn the volume up slightly. The guitar has a varied tone range using the 5 settings for the Pickups, I was pleasently supprised. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very well. I played various other Strats and this was the one I liked the feel of the best. I even tried some US strats and the necks felt horrible compared to this one. The only thing I noticed while playing the guitar in the shop was that the slightest use of the whammy bar and the gutar would go out of tune but I suppose that expected of a new guitar with new strings and also the fact that strats don't have locking nuts. When I got the guitar home I put some graphite in the grooves of the nut to stop the strings sticking when tuning up, this helped stabalize the tuning when using the wammy. On the night of rehersals with my band I really abused the wammy and it stayed in tune really well. I really can't find any other floors apart from that. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Everything on this guitar seems really solid and it looks like it could really withstand a lot of abuse, not that I would do that to a guitar. As for using it at a gig without a backup, I don't really like gigging without a backup. But I don't know if I could trust it to stay in tune throughout a whole set. My SG's can last a whole night without me having to tune the guitar at all. I don't think I could get away with that with this guitar. The finish on this guitar is excellent. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar suits my style really well but I still prefer my SG's, I've been playing for 26 years and never really liked Strats until I played a friends US 62 re-issue, I've always liked the unique sound they produce though. If it were lost or stolen I think I would eventualy replace it. I love the finish on the guitar and the feel when playing, I liked the feel of this better than the US Strat the sales person suggested, I hate the fret access (that's why my other guitars are SG's LOL), I also had to get used to not hitting the selector Switch and changing the pickups whilst playing, was a bit annoying at first but I've got usd to it now. // 8

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: jeffo46, on november 09, 2012

Features: This is a 2nd review for this great guitar.Mine is a 2006 Sunburst Standard with a rosewood fretboard, 22 frets, Alder body, 5 way Switch and all the new upgrades that Fender had put on these models 2 years ago.Mine came with a heavy duty deluxe gig bag, which I've since sold so I could get a hardshell case for. // 10

Sound: This is the Standard by which all other electric guitars are judged by as far as I'm concerned.I know use this through a 1997 USA made, Crate GX-65 combo which seems to compliment this guitar quite well.If you have the 5 way Switch in settings besides 2 & 4, then you will get some pup hum, which is quite the norm for single coils.Other than that, the tone on this guitar is simply the best for it's price range.The Stratocaster is like a woman, set it up right and it'll treat you good, abuse it, and you'll have hell to pay! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This where I have to give a lower grade only because mine was on display for over a few months and because of that, people would come in and try it out, therefore messing with the settings.When I bought this, I immediately did a intonation check, lowered the action, adjusted the truss rod, put on a white pearloid pickguard, and changed the bridge saddles to graphite ones which keep it in tune a lot better and also add more tone to it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have owned this guitar for a year and a half now, and have used it at well over 50 shows and it is a true workhorse.This is a well amde, solidly built instrument which will last you a lifetime providing that you take care of it.I do not need a backup when I'm out on stage with this, although I am considering getting another one, preferably with the Artic White finish and a Maple fretboard.This is the best guitar around for it's price and with all the upgrades that Fender added, jumbo frets, shielded compartment, thicker trem block, it's easy to see why this is a top seller. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for over 35 years and my rig consists of this guitar, Crate GX-65 combo, and a Danelectro Fab Chorus and Flange pedal.That's all I need to do some damage with.If this was stolen or damamged I would definately get another one to replace it.I couldn't see myself playing anything else but a Fender Strat.They're the innovators and not the immitators of rock n' roll! // 10

Purchased from: GAK

Features: Made in Mexico in 2009, I got it literally as soon as it came into stock out of the factory. It has got 21 jumbo frets, a rosewood fingerboard, a maple neck, and it is Standard Fender neck scale (25.5"). The body is alder, I bought this with the midnight wine finish which is really awesome! The body is... Well a strat. The bridge is a Vintage style tremolo made by fender. The pickups are 3 Fender Standard Strat single coils. It has one volume and two tone controls. The tuners are fender/ping non locking tuners. It came with 2 allen keys a gig bag and an instruction manual. // 9

Sound: Hmmm I still wonder today why I bought this guitar, I play mostly metal and rock and some classic metal and occasionally some blues (Iron Maiden, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, Satriani and all alike). This guitar is really, REALLY not made for metal, however it is the most beautiful sounding thing on clean channels and light distortion, however when I am on modern/ hi gain channels it caannot give me the meaty beefy sound I want however I do not blame this on anyone but myself because this guitar is not made for metal but anything else it really is amazing for. The sound is very bright and smooth. The main thing I like about this guitar is that it has amazing tonal variety between the very crisp trebly bridge pickup to the nice warm neck pickup. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar it was well set up, no buzz at all. However the action was a bit high for my taste so I lowered a bit which spouted a new problem which was that now the bridge scrapes away at my hand when I am palm muting! The pickups were all even but a bit low so I raised them and now I get a bit of a better sound. The finish is amazing, it would not scratch if well I scratched it with something sharp. There were no flaws when I bought this guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would survive being dropped of a cliff except it would really go out of tune... Thats probably its weakest point it doesn't last longer than two three songs before the tuning is out. The strap buttons are very solid I have not put strap locks on and still I can throw this thing over my head without my strap coming off! I would and have used this live, no problem although I did bring backup with different tuning. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar does not suit my style of music very much and I most likely would not buy it again if it was lost however that is only because of my style of music. I have been playing for three years I own a les paul with a tele style neck which I assembled myself it's cool, I have a Peavey vypr 15. I love the feel of it (not including the bridge) and how its so comfortable, I wish it had a meatier tone but what the hey its not an Ibanez or a Jackson! // 6

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: Bilbo Tbaggins, on november 09, 2012

Features: This is a great starting guitar if you can afford it to start, luckily I got mine through connections, the 600 is a guess to what you should spend. I won't go wasting time describing specific features, because if you know all about features and what brands are good and what you prefer, then I recommend you save a little and wait to pick out a more improved one. Anyway, mine is in a very cool red, with the Strat shape, very easy to hold sitting and it isn't very heavy standing. I have 21 frets, which is a bit of a dissapointment, because it limits me from certain solos and such, but really it doesn't make a huge difference. The neck is nice and thin, making it easy to move around the guitar. Some spots are a little tough to reach, but for the most part you can do a lot with this guitar. The pickups deliver a wide range of sounds, though a humbucker would be nice. If you can get this guitar for around 300 or so, don't! Copies are made, so try your best to make sure you get either a Mexican or American Strat, don't fall for a cheap Chinese or Korean made version. // 9

Sound: It sort of fits my style, which is a heavier rock. When I feel like it, it has a nice clean or bluesy sound, which is good, but it can't really deliver any metal or real hard rock. It has a good RHCP sound, and you can pump out of Zep or Jimi just fine on it, but If you are looking for something that can really deliver for a similar price, look into the F 400FM from ESP. I use it with the Spyder Valve 112, and they fit well, the amp delivers a lot of different sounds and the versatility of the pickups compliment it well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar and it was extremely sturdy. It doesn't handle big changes in humidity too well, but neither do most guitars. The action is nice and low, just the way it should be. I get a little buzz against the frets hitting open notes too hard, but that's not a big problem. I never had any issue with the way the pickups were adjusted. The bridge had to be taken to the shop to be readjusted to '8s or '10s, but 9's work well for practice, and '8s just don't have enough tone. Not really that many flaws, but one big thing is that from about frets 12 to 19 on most strings I can't bend up or down too far (no shit I can't bend down on high E, and I can't hit it too hard either or it slips of the fretboard). It might be a manufacturing issue, but I some sound in a medium sized bend, and I cannot make big bends. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This has to be one of the best guitars for reliability and durability. I trust it very very much. I've never played it Live, but I'm sure it would do fine. Everything seems sturdy and well put together. The strap buttons are fine, though I mainly play sitting. I can depend on it and it has a nice finish that should last a good long time. I don't have much to say here besides that this is the category that this guitar excels at most. // 10

Overall Impression: Once again, it sort of matches my style, but is still a great guitar for building up skills. If you can make sure you are getting the real thing and save up the money, go for it. I really don't have any questions with it, besides maybe why the bridge can be constructed to only fit '9s and why they can't fit a single humbucker in. My favorite feature would just have to be it's general playability, but I really don't like how I lose sound on my higher frets. This was the first real electric guitar I got, and voerally, it is a good buy for some young guitarist to build skills upon. // 9

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: Eddiemetal1506, on november 09, 2012

Features: Fender Stratocaster HSS (Mexico). Made in 2006. 21 Frets. Rosewood Fretboard. Ash Body. Black Body with a White Scratchplate/Pickguard. Fender Standard Bridge. Volume, 2 Tone dials. 5 way switch. With the guitar I recieved a Whammy Bar and Gig Bag. // 9

Sound: This guitar is possibly the most versatile guitar I have ever played. For instance, I am a great love of Heavy Metal, yet some people percieve the Fender as more of a blues/jazz/rock and roll guitar however even though it does play these genres of music exceptional it also (through the right amp) is one of the fullest, metal sounds I have heard. I play it through my Line 6 Spider III 75watt and it is fantastic. Without a doubt this guitar can sound like anything you want it to sound like! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Guitar itself is fantastic and is exactly how I ordered it without any mistakes. The pickups are fantastic however there were two flaws with the guitar and they were that there is slight bits of residue on the fretboard and the pick ups did not look "new" whether this was due to transportation or not I do not know. These flaws however do not effect hot the guitar feels and how well it plays. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar in the department is flawless and I would most definately take it gigging without a back up, as I already have. I have had no problems with it in the how durable it is. I have accidentally dropped it a few times, and it has not been knocked out of tune or dented at all, I've been quite amazed how strong it is. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Metal, so you would expect the first choice of guitar manufacturer would be B.C Rich, Jackson, Dean etc however the Strat is extremely versatile and can do just as good job as any of these metal guitar manufacturers. I have had it for almost a year now and I hasn't had a glitch, I have been playing properly for nearlly 2 years now so I would be seen as a guitar novice. If it was to be stolen I would most definitely invest in another Fender Strat HSS or possibly an Ibanez. What I love most about this guitar is the general "feel" of it, I mean I have played Les Paul's and they just don't feel as nice to play on. I do however wish it has another double pickup on the neck due to how much kick it gives on the bridge pickup. What do I hate about this Guitar? Nothing! it's amazing! // 10

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: tallicadude1205, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Perfect Pitch

Features: It's made in Mexico just like what it says in it's head stock. it has 21 Vintage style frets. My mexican Strat was made I think on 2006 - present because of the new Fender Logo it has. it has a Maple neck, Modern C Shape, (Satin Polyurethane Finish), Maple finger board, 9.5 Radius (241 mm), but it's also available in rosewood. and a Alder body. it has 3 Standard Single-Coil Strat Pickups (Ceramic Magnets), 3 controls Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Middle Pickup), 5 way seletor Switch, Vintage Style Synchronized Tremolo, Fender/Ping Standard Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines. The hardware is Chrome, pickguard is 3-ply white, scale length is 25.5 (648 mm) and width at nut is 1.650 (42 mm). it's unique feature is Vintage Styling, when I got it the stock strings was a Fender Super Bullets 3250L, Nickel Plated Steel, (.009 to.042). it has a free gig bag. I was expecting a hardcase. // 8

Sound: Well the stock pickup doesn't suit my style but I always liked how the 5 way selector Switch functions. I can get that mellow tone but 1 click away I can get that bright tone. I plan to replace the bridge pickups for some hot rails from Seymour Duncan. I also play blues but not that much. I play metal rocks and blues. I think your all thinking that I should get a lespaul but I feel more comfortable with a Strat. I use my Strat to a Marshall MG15CD and a Korg AX3000G. if you put it on the 5th 3rd and 1st position. it has a annoying hum but the 4th and 2nd position is hum canceling. I like the bell sound that it produces when it's on the neck. I don't use the bridge pickup because of the super bright and thin sound it produces. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: well when I got the guitar. it's set up was ok but not the best. so when I bought the guitar, I left it on the store and said to the technician there to fix everything to my liking. I gave HIM the specs that I want well he nailed it. I really like how the guitar is setup, it's like my own personal brand of guitar. my only problem is the pickup. it doesn't really go well with the genre of music I play but if your into blues and some country. the Vintage sounding pickups are good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I just have this guitar for 1 month now. I hope it'll last long:D like all those relics I see. the hardware seems to be good. I already bumped my guitar a bunch of times but not that hard. the finish is still like Brandnew. the strap buttons are a bit good but I prefer locking tuners because I always throw the guitar around my body. like all the punk bands are doing. // 10

Overall Impression: I believe that the only thing that hinders me to play 100% to this guitar is just the pickups. if I had the money which I'll get in a few months it could be the best guitar for me at the meantime. well I wish I'd get an American std but the price is to high, I can't afford it..if this was stolen, I would get a Fender american Standard and put hot rails on the bridge and 1 dmarzio area 58 on the neck position and leave the middle pickup as it is. I compared it with a Epiphone lespaul not sure what kind of LP it is but I like the sound of the LP than the Strat but what really took my attention was the versatility of Fender stratocasters. I just needed to change the pickups so I can get it to be my own:)well for the last thing I wish it had is, I wish it had a free hardcase:p but it had a gigbag instead, well too bad. // 8

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Yr 2008 I had the guitar for five mins and realized it needed better noise elimanation. I opened it up and shielded it, that helped but it was still way to noisy for me. I then bought a set of Lace pickups. One red, silver and Blue. I put those in and not only did the noise go away but the sound improved considerable. // 8

Sound: Off the floor its not all that, but with a few changes, it's now my fav guitar. I use it with a JCM900, a Fender Frontman and a Epiphone Jr. It sounds great through all of them. I tend to add a distortion box on the epi if I want to play at real low volumes. But once you crank it up, it drives it real nice. With my wiring changes I can get a Tele sound, a Humbucker sound and of course the single coil sound. I also get a out of phase sound with the addition of a push pull Switch I added to it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Great finish, it looks great in Black. I liked the setup that it came with, I had to change the pickups to eliminate noise amd magnet pull, so now the sustain is forever and the sound is sweet. I also had to shield it to help eliminate noise. I record with it and I hate noise. Mission accomplished. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You cant beat it, I got this so I could store my old Elite away. I have not missed the Elite at all in fact this is so much lighter that I can play for hours now. I play it live all the time and have never had any trouble with it. I use it without a back up into my JCM900. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, acdc, beatles, stones, and this guitar can do them all. I rewired it to allow a thicker sound and added a phase Switch to give me that Pink floyd intro to confort num sound. I never like the humbucker sound, so I never looked at any other guitar. Single coil baby, it was good enough for Jimi, stevie, Eric and Jeff Beck, so I guess it's good enough for me... Would I buy it again Hell yes!!! // 9

Purchased from: Local shop

Features: Nothing special just Standard 5-way switch, Fender tuners ect. (all stock). Simplicity is best to me I guess. // 7

Sound: The band I'm with we play hard rock,blues,punk and alternative and this thing does it all pretty damn nicely. I use it with a crappy Line 6 spider 3 75w amp and it actually gets the clean tone I need but I use either a Boss ds-1 or big muff for some badassness. From what I know I think the mid 90s mim strats have hotter pickups but I'm not to sure but damn the pickups sound gorgeous no matter what style you play you can do anything with it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was setup perfect for me from the moment I played everything was adjusted perfectly. There was no need for me to fuck this thing up // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's already 15 years old and still in pretty good condition just a few tiny dings. I do a bit of live playing and I've never had a problem. Everything seems like it would last for pretty damn good amount of time. // 10

Overall Impression: As I mentioned before we play a variety of styles and this thing does it all. I've been playing for 5 years and have had an Epiphone Les Paul Standard some dinky Strat copy and this Strat blows em all away. This thing can stand up to my friends 77' Gibson les paul. This is a purchase I could never regret cause there's just nothing bad about it. If it were lost or stolen I'd hunt down the bastard that stole it and beat the shit outta him with his gear then get my guitar back and beat the shit outta that bastard with my guitar and handcuff him to a pole a a screamo concert to suffer for the rest of his life. // 10

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: I found this 2004 MIM Strat hanging in a pawn shop window and just had to have it and it was only 200 bucks. Its artic white with white pick guard and rosewood fingerboard. 5 way slector and stock pups. Satin finish on the neck. Its a beauty, and comming from a guy Who only plays Vintage guitars that is a high compliment. I heard alot of negative things about MIM guitars but I have to say this guitar rises high above any thing negative I have heard. // 9

Sound: I play all types of music, but was trained in the jazz style but I can play just about everything on this guitar, great range in sound with the 5 way switch. I heard people diss the pick ups but these are really great and I wouldn't even think about spending extra money to change them out. I play through a mid 70's Kustom 3 lead SC, what a great combo and great range of sound. Like I said I have LOTS of Vintage guitars and playing from one to the other I have to say this guitars holds its own and is really sweet. I have been playing guitar for over 30 years and have lots of great guitars pass though my hands and I have to say this guitar surprised the hell out of me, its a gem! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Like I said I bought this at a pawn shop so it I have no idea how it was set when purchased, I only have a few adjustments for my personal taste and feel but other than that this guitar plays great. All the features are solid and sound the only thing I could even say, and its minor, is that the 5 way Switch makes a bit of noise when switching but its minor. Holds tune well even after heavy bending and hard playing, great stock features. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would play this live and believe it would stand up to hard playing. I'm hard on my guitars, I'm not a light player by any means and I have taken a few guitars to hell and back and I think this guitar would make the trip just fine. I have to admit, I was expecting a cheap feel and look from the MIM strats but this guitar is beyond anything I expected... it's SWEET! // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of loud fast noise to smooth funky jazz inspired stuff, this guitar can handle it all. I have played around 30 years and have seen lots of great guitars, is this the best thing out there, no, but it's a really nice guitar and far better than what I expected. Does it compare to an american Strat, yes and no, it's pretty damn close and a fraction of the cost, some day these will be in damand cause I think they will stand the test of time. it's the next step in a Tradition and a fine step it has been. I only collect Vintage guitars and the idea of buying something new wasn't in my mind but when I saw this beauty hanging in the window I had to go in and try her, within seconds I knew I had to have this guitar, and for 200 bucks it was well worth it. I will keep this guitar and if lost or stolen... Well I have many guitars, but I would def get another MIM Strat, in fact I have started to look for more. I have Fender mustangs that I purchased years ago for under 100 bucks and they are all now worth over 1000 bucks. I think these MIM starts will do the same thing some day. Def worth the investment! Shop around on ebay, pawn shops and craigslist, these pop up all the time and are really reasonable, but the prices are slowly starting to rise, but these guitars are fun, great necks, great sound a joy to play! // 9

Price paid: C$ 699

Features: Purchased in 2004, the Mexican Strat was my first electric, and to this day remains as my primary stage, recording, and recreation electric. When I first got it, the stock strings were terrible - they were very slack and provided a very tinny sound. However, after changing the strings and making minor adjustments to the bridge for optimum whammy-usage, I fell in love with this guitar. Although I had no real troubles with the stock pickups, I swapped for a SD JB Jr. single-coil sized humbucker in the bridge position. It made an already awesome sound even better. I left the other two stock pickups alone, because they provide an amazing range of low and mid tones that the bright humbucker can't always achieve. The maple neck and fingerboard are incredibly comfortable, and although it has only 21 frets as compared in 22 in most Epiphone or Gibson models, I find this guitar much more fun to play than any other I have ever come across. // 10

Sound: I use a variety of effects with this guitar, including a Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion pedal, a DigiTech RP80 Modelling pedal, and a Dunlop 95Q Wah Wah, with a Marshall amp. The stock bridge pickup was a little noisy, but not distractingly so - it was only noticeable at all when using a lot of distortion. I play in a Punk/Thrash band, and have played in Country/Folk trio. This guitar does it all, and it does it well. I have never had any problem attaining the sound I have wanted for any style. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, I did have to adjust the bridge, but not out of necessity - it was something I wanted to do, and encourage all guitarists to do, as customation helps the guitar's sound match you more than any other. The finish was flawless until I dropped it on a tile floor due to a faulty strap...but even with a couple of blemishes, it's still a beauty. The stock strings were awful, however. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a solid guitar, which is why I use it as my primary stage instrument. All of the hardware and the strap buttons are in perfect shape even after 5 years of heavy use, and 3 years of that playing shows. I have never had it fail me in any way. // 10

Overall Impression: I am a guitarist Who enjoys playing everything, from rock to punk to blues to pop to country to folk - and this does it all. It's an amazing buy, and I highly recommend it. If you're serious about playing, don't get a Squier - the low price seems great for a visually similar guitar, but I have yet to find any guitar that felt or sounded as awesome to me as my Mexican Strat...and believe me, I've played quite a few. // 10

Purchased from: empire music

Features: Mexican Standard Strat- Bought it used in dec. 09, but it is an 07 model. Has a rosewood neck with 21 frets, and is midnight wine colored. Volume, 2 tones and a 4 way selector. It has 1 Humbucker and 2 Single Coils. No accessories included besides a whammy bar. Don't mind at this price. // 8

Sound: this is an hss standard meaning it has 1 humbucker and two single coils hence HSS. I use it with a Crate which can play either clean or distorted. The pickups allow it to have everything from a pretty heavy rock sound to a supreme clean tone. Both have very full sounds, and fairly bright. Also have a wah pedal which it sounds great on. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup doesn't matter, it only took a couple of minutes and empire music set it up for me before i even bought it. Pickups may need a bit of adjustment, though. The guitar is built for being modified to fit the user, so basically factory settings don't matter // 9

Reliability & Durability: it's a Fender...this will outlast me. Although it is used, everything seems like its as good as the new ones I played. The finish looks great no matter what color you choose. Originally, I would have gotten white if it was my choice, but the midnight wine has grown on me, seems to have a lot more character. // 10

Overall Impression: classic guitar and Icon used among a vast array of styles and talents. Find a good used one if you think its too expensive. I compared it with a Telecaster which played too bright of a sound. I'm attracted to the Strat everytime i walk into the room and find myself playing more variety and more often in general. Probably will never need another guitar again // 10

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: TheWho2, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This is a 1991 Strat made in Mexico! The neck is maple same with the fret board! Has 1 vol and 2 tone. A tremolo bridge. SSS pup config. Standard Fender tuners which are great! Passive everything! Solid color(red). I got this off ebay so nothing came with it just a cardboard box. // 10

Sound: I play classic rock, blues/blues-rock, jazz, Indie rock and British rock and this guitar can play it all! I use a Fender Champion 110 25watt amp and a Fender Stage 160 160 watt amp and sounds great on both! The pickups are noisy but that's what you get with single coil pickups. I switched out the stock pups for fender's Vintage noiseless. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well my guitar came used. The guy who had it be for me used it as a slide guitar so I can't really answer how the action, fit and finish. And since its from '91 it had a few scratches dents and chips but nothing major. Again this is a used guitar from 1991. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is built like a tank, it is as old as me(made in 1991) it has a few nicks and scratches but thats about it. The hardware was prefect just the pots were dirty and had to be clean which wasn't hard at all. Strap buttons hold the strap pretty well, but I got strap locks just in case (I got them a few months after I got the guitar, it didn't fall once between when I got the guitar and when I put the locks on). // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for everything I play. I barely use my SG anymore. I've been plays for about 4 years now. I also own a Epiphone SG but the Strat gets more done. If this guitar was stolen, I would find who stole it and have a "conversation" with them. I love everything about it! I wish it had a 7 way Switch but its a easy mod, that I already did! // 10

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: Tiarnan1986, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: hendersons music

Features: My lovely Strat was made in mexico in 2006 I think, its got 21 frets on a maple neck. The body is also made of maple, its a candy apple red finish but the finish isnt the most durable as I've knocked it lightly against my guitar stand and it marked it a little, its got a five way selector, 2 tone 1 volume (strat standard). The stock pickups are great very bluesy and smooth from the neck, from the bridge you get a very bright strong sound. Now I've removed the stock ones and put in some seymore duncans and there even better, when I bought it I got loads of free stuff, Fender hard case, Fender strap, Fender koil cord cable(white), fender electronic tuner and a whammy bar. // 9

Sound: I play blues, rock, hard rock, metal and grunge this guitar suits most of these, its great for srv and hendrix and coming from my jcm800 it sounds magical, also if you roll back the tone and use the bridge pickup you can get a kind of Slash solo sound its great. The Fender Stratocaster is definetly the most versitile guitar I've played. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came in tune and the action was perfect, the strap locks were fine, pickups were great. Everything was fine. Another thing was how comfortable the guitar is to hold when sitting down it fits perfectly round your body(unless your fat) lol very good guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: No question about it I would gig this without a backup. The hardware is realy strong. Stays in tune perfectly all the time, I mean I play four hours a day and still stays in tune. The only problem I've ever had with this guitar is the finish, its lovely to look at but is very thin. But apart from that this is exellent. // 9

Overall Impression: Ok this is the cheapest guitar I own but its my favorite. If someone stole it I would own them with a spade then buy another one. This is a pleasure to play and is an exelent piece of equipment to own. I've got three Gibson les puals and a Gibson SG there great but this is better. People think owning a mexican Strat is like owning an epi lp but whats wrong with that there great guitars. // 10

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

Features: Made the year I bought it, so 2009, in Mexico, 22 jumbo frets on a maple neck, solid top, I love the feel of the thing, and the body. Typical bridge for a tremolo on the strat, no problems there, even the tremolo arm doesn't make it lose tune, an excellent feature. 5 way selector, two tones and a master volume, very easy to use. I got it was a Fender case, which does the job and protects it at school too! // 10

Sound: It suits my music style of when I bought it down to a tee. I play indie/punk and it suits it perfectly. It is a very twangy cleaner sound than most other guitars which is typical fender. Very bright and it can make all sounds, the only thing I would say is that it is not a heavy metal prog rock kind of sound, however it does suit effects as I run it through Boss od-3 and a electro harmonix big muff, both with overdrive and distortion, it sounds fine, and not too pedally, but with a natural distorted sound, so works well with pedals! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up very well, the strings were at the right height, and not too close to the fretboard, and all well layed out, with lovely Fender strings on it giving it a rich sound.the pickups were perfectly fine, no adjusting needed! The one flaw I will state, is that the d string repeatedly snapped, now whether that was the tremolo or frets fault, I do not know, but after a few times, I found the solution of using Ernie Ball super slinkys instead of Fender strings, because they are more durable than the fender, on a tremolo especially. The controls were fine, but the only thing was getting the plastic cover off, it kept sticking! didn't want to come off! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used the guitar live, and it is lasting well! I good strong strap is being used and hasn't come off once since I have used the guitar, which is over a year now, the first ever gig I used it for was without a back up and it stood up and outplayed the epiphone's and Yamaha super fighter it was against, and sounded better! On one gig, the low e string went horribly out of tune randomly during a song, which hasn't happened since or after that one time! So I can't honestly say what happened, probably an old song, but the strings are viable to break if using a tremolo so if you don't have a back up be wary of the tremolo! // 9

Overall Impression: I play Indie kind of punk and rock n roll, it plays fine, after all most of the greats have played strats at one point or another! I've been playing for about 4 years, and it was the first 'high end' or good quality long lasting electric guitar I have owned, I play through various amps, and it plays fine through everything! I love the ease of playing it, and it makes you sound good! If I lost it, I would DEFINITELY buy another one, I think my next guitar will be a Gretsch, purely for the fact I need a little more punch as I am soon playing a Beatles day, but I will still play the Strat on some numbers! I compared it to others, nothing compares to the great price and great quality you get out of it, with many years in it, I hope to be playing it in many years to come! :) // 10

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: fastandmighty, on november 09, 2012

Features: Nice Strat style body made in mexico it has the classic Strat controls with stock pickups maple neck with rosewood fingerboard 21 frets bolt on neck 25.5 scale stock tuners adjustable truss rod black satin Vintage Tremolo fat neck. I had got a Fender frontman 15 watt with this. // 8

Sound: This is a very great sounding guitar for what I got it for. I play alot of blues-rock with this like ej and srv and sometimes hendrix stuff. I plug it into a Line 6 spider jam and a Fender practice amp. It really suits my style good. As always adjusting the pickup height will change the sound and right now I have the neck one real low and the Bridge a little high. It is really hard to bend the strings even a whole step. It is great for all genres of music. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how it was setup at the factory but when I got it it was fine I had lost the Switch cap but that affects nothing. It doesn't go out of tune much, I keep it in Eb It has solid strap buttons. The cable insertor is loose but that was my own fault. Because it is black it gets alot of dust and under the strings is really dusty and I dust it every night. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It will definately stand live playing. The strap wont go anywhere. It is hard wood and it takes a while to dent I've had this guitar for 4 or 5 years and it has only 2 really small chips on the headstock. It weighs about 7.5 pounds. This guitar will definately last live playing if I played it live. // 10

Overall Impression: I wish this guitar had a maple neck and a tap coil but other than that this guitar is perfect. I also own an Ibanez 470 Douglas octanis Rogue bass Alvarez and SX acoustics. I got this when I was about 9 and it was this or a mexican Fender that was all white with a 50 watt amp, the reason I chose this was because I didn't know about action back then and the white one was way to high. I wish I boughht that one just because it was a better deal. // 10

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: cola4369, on november 09, 2012

Features: My model was made in 2007. It has a black body and a maple neck, in addition to 3 single coil pickups.. It also has 21 medium jumbo frets, a 5 way pickup selector Switch and two tone selectors (one for the neck pickup and one for middle pickup) The only downside is the tuners - they seem quite tense when you are turning them. Apart from this the features // 8

Sound: I use a Vox ac15 amp alongside a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive and a Vox Wah pedal. The tone you can get from this guitar is fantastic. It definitely has that famous "fender tone" that is sought after. Despite this - the pickups can be quite noisy, but they still sound great. This guitar could be used for most styles of music: Rock, Blues, Country, Jazz, the list goes on! But maybe not Metal.... Overall a great sounding guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very low - which I like and the pickups and all other parts were set up very well. As I mentioned earlier the tuning pegs feel a bit tense and tight - but this was the only problem. The neck probably the best aspect of this guitar (apart from the sound of course). Its nice and thin and really comfortable to play! Overall a 9. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged my Strat many times and everytime it still responds in the same way - its incredibly reliable. Apart from minor tuning problems (which can be expected in any live performance) the guitar sounds great on stage. There is some wear on the neck and body, but that is only from playing. Overall, a 10. // 10

Overall Impression: This was a great guitar for the styles of music I play (Rock, Blues, Country) and it works really well with my tube amp. If it was stolen I would certainly buy another Strat - maybe the 60's classic player one though due to retro vibe! I love the sound of the neck pickup and generally the strats amazing, sparkling clean tone. (much better than a Gibsons humbucker in my opinion) Overall a great guitar. // 9

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: Mohican, on november 09, 2012

Features: I got this guitar from a clueless friend a few years back for a little WI14 Washburn I had. It was made in Mexico around 2001 to the normal Stratocaster specs; 25.5 scale, 21 fret maple neck/fret board. It has a non-locking tremolo and 3 single coil pickups all fixated onto an alder body that has been colored in a one-off color (a dark metallic red, almost maroon). To control the aforementioned pickups are 3 knobs; a volume and two tone. The first tone controls the neck and Bridge pup while the second controls the bridge. All of the hardware was quite solid and held up well against my friend's little brother, the one who first owned it. // 8

Sound: As you can well assume, this guitar is perfect for playing blues! But this is no one trick pony. It is a Strat, after all. My style ranges across the board from blues to country to cleans to even a little metal. I plug the axe into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III (40 watts) running through a Fulltone OCD. The guitar was a little bit noisy and was prone to random radio signals at times. The signals weren't loud (they could easily be drowned out while playing), but when the song ended or got quiet, it was a bit of a nuisance. I later resolved this issue by installing Lace Sensors, but the stock pickups gave that characteristic Fender sound. "Round" would be the word I'd use. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As I've stated earlier, I got this guitar third hand from a friend who got it from his little brother, so I am unaware of the factory set up. Despite that fact, the guitar was in pitch, there was no fret buzz, and no nicks (other than those caused from the little brother). I later had the guitar properly set up and it played like butter, though it wasn't much of a difference to what it was before. I did notice that the G string sometimes pulled out of tune when I did extreme bends, but I again resolved this with locking tuners. Using the tremolo doesn't throw the entire guitar out of tune, either, if set up properly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand most whatever you can throw at it. My friend's little brother was a twister of disaster and the axe stood up against it with outstanding results. As far as real world trials, I played this thing live almost every Wednesday night for 2-3 years. It has never failed me. The hardware seems solid enough for another 40 years, though the stock tuners were prone to slipping when it came to extreme bends. The strap buttons were a bit small for my strap and was prone to slipping off every now and again, but it wasn't a great deal of stress. Getting to paint; the stuff will last. I grew up in a low income house and didn't have a job of my own until a year or so after I had the Strat (So no polish). Aside from a few scratched from belt burn and a really stupid mistake with a washcloth, the finish is flawless. Would I play without a backup? Common sense dictates to always come prepared, but if I had no choice, I would be confident in playing show after show with this thing, though I have swapped the strap buttons for locks. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said before, I play anything from blues to metal and this axe will cover it pretty well, though it isn't really the best for metal. If you're interested in playing blues or even some alternate rock, I would highly recommend the guitar. I currently own one other electric: a Fender Jaguar. As far as experience goes, I've been playing for a bit over 5 years and have played quite a few guitars from Gibsons to Schecters to American Fenders, and I have to say, for the price, this is quite the guitar. Reliable, sounds amazing, and is a classic. Do I have regrets trading for this guitar or would I have traded for something else? I would have to say no. As far as a replacement if it were lost or stolen, I would probably look for another Strat. I love this guitar as I love my arm or hand. The sounds I can get through it are so diverse, it fits any mood I'm in. The only complaints that I have about this guitar are that the tuners weren't the best and the strap buttons were a tad small. Other than that, it fits the bill to what I need perfectly. As far as any additions, I have already made the fix to what I needed. Lace Sensors (to kill the hum/radio signals), locking tuners (more solid tuning), and strap locks (so I don't end up trying to catch my guitar). // 9

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: Ziggy of Mars, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Elderly Instruments

Features: This is a change on an old review of mine, as I have played this guitar for more than a year. This is a 2009 Left handed Mexican Stratocaster with 21 jumbo frets. It has a one-piece maple neck and fretboard. Classic Black paint with white pickguard and chrome hardware. The body is alder. It is the most ideal Strat one can buy (3 single coils, volume and 2 tone knobs, 5 way selector, Vintage Tremolo bridge). Installed are still the stock Fender single coils. Came with a gig bag and a tremolo bar. // 10

Sound: I couldn't ask for a more perfect sounding guitar. The versatility of a Stratocaster is astounding. Being in multiple bands and playing mostly ska and punk, one does not need to purchase multiple guitars. Running it through my Fender Pro Jr. 15W tube amp, you can take it from crystal clear cleans ideal for ska (any of the 5 pick-up positions), all the way to piercing thick tone ready for a punk show. I always aim for a bright sound, distorted or clean. Now being in a Ska/Punk band, I do not use any effects pedals whatsoever and am absolutely content with the sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar came in looking and performing flawlessly. The pickups seemed to be fine to my liking as I have not changed them or adjusted them. As far as I see it, this guitar was professionally done and engineered to perfection. The only flaws as of now are from my own carelessness and stupidity. The strap buttons often come loose, but I believe that is of my own doing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been gigging for over a year now and still going strong. I can't really say though, as I take care of its cosmetics and aesthetics. All the hardware is still in nearly mint condition, although my pickups have attained a small bit of rust. The strap buttons come loose fairly often, so that makes me quite anal about tightening them all the time. I can absolutely depend on it. My Strat and any Strat for that matter is my go-to axe. I won't use it without a back-up, as I often break strings. Nothing the guitar can help there. The finish has minor scratches, barely visible to my eyes. Only uppity people care about finding microscopic impurities. // 9

Overall Impression: I play ska and punk and cannot ask for another single guitar that can do both. It is the most ideal in my opinion. I have been playing for 2 years now, (1.5 on the strat). I only own anothe Fender acoustic, good for songwriting. It is the absolute first guitar I would but if it were broken misplaced or stolen. I love its versatility and various sounds for different genres. I do not have a favorite feature, as I see all guitars as tools and don't need any special features to "enhance" the sound or playability. I compared it to both Gibson and Epiphone SGs and LPs. LPs were out of my range and I did not like its cleans relative to the strat. The SG was uncomfortable and I did not take a liking to it. I wish it only had 2 pickups, 3 is a bit much. Maybe a single coil and a humbucker and leave it at that. // 10

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: 1992 MIM Strat. 21 Frets. Solid Top. Body is Alder, Maple Fretboard. Traditional Strat style. Fender stock bridge. Cherry Red. Held up very well, has been dropped and knocked over and only shows small scratches. Fender Stock pickups. Shoddy fretwork, frets well overextend neck, some may cut fingers if not not sanded down. // 8

Sound: Play mostly classic rock, alternative, adult alternative. Use with a Fender Mustang II and also used on a Marshall MA50C. Shows nicely on the Mustang, has excellent hold. On the Marshall the imperfections in the electronics were easy to pick up, but this may have just been aging as the guitar is now 20 years old. Neck setting is very sharp and clean, in between neck and middle is noisy, lots of static. Middle is very clean and round. Between bridge and middle has a very roots rock feel, a lot of natural distortion. Bridge pickup has very thick bass, but leaves much to be desired on the treble strings. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When purchased action was extremely high, and there was considerable fret buzz. Had guitar set up professionally to bring the action down and fret buzz lessened, but still is noticeable. Tuning pegs were slightly loose, but may be a product of age. Tone knobs were not fit properly, this was also corrected. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Guitar has held up very well for being 20 years old. Could easily be played live, if the right amp is used. A low end amp will produce a lot of unnecessary buzz due to the bad action. Would use with a double reverb, seems to hide many of the imperfections, if that's your play style. Dependable for a low end Fender however. // 9

Overall Impression: Guitar is a good fit for me, bought it several years ago as a new player and has held up nicely. At the time of purchase was told it was a 2003, however it was not, and the price was considerably higher at the time, than what a 1992 was being sold for. I can't say I love this guitar, but it's suitable for those who are waiting to get an American Strat or to upgrade to something else. After playing several American Strats, the difference in quality was very noticeable, especially in the fretwork. Overall, a solid guitar for the $250-$350 range and a great first electric for beginners. // 8

Mexican Stratocaster Reviewed by: JSalernoMusic, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: L.A Music

Features: The guitar was manufactured in Mexico, and at first I was having second thoughts, as I thought that the American was a lot better than the Mexican, but in the end it is just the hardware, the sound is very minimal. Mine was a sunburst maple fretboard model, and it looks amazing. The maple wood feels great, it looks like a great guitar, and definitely stands out when performing. The whammy bar came with the purchase, as well as a lifetime warranty. It has 3 Pickups but it can create 5 different sounds, I love how it has such a wide variety of things to choose from. // 10

Sound: I am a modern rock player, I enjoy rock, punk and occasionally blues. The Strat does all of that for you, it can create so many amazing sounds that will satisfy your needs. Its an all round amazing guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything seems perfect, even though the American is more organized, I found nothing wrong with the Mexican, everything was straight and in tact, and I did not notice any problems, it is a flawless guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can always count on my guitar when performing to live audience members, distortion sounds amazing, beautiful clean, very easy to switch pickups. I can always depend on my guitar, and I know it will never let me down. It is a perfect guitar, amazing for the price, you will be satisfied for sure. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is outstanding, it has never been a problem and I have never regretted getting it, I strongly recommend picking one of these guitars up (sunburst looks really nice), trust me you will love every second playing it! // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Competition Delay 8.2 Guitar Effects 07/21/2014