Mexican Telecaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Mexican Telecaster
Standard Tele features, stock single coils, 21 medium jumbo frets. This has the more modern bridge with six saddles not the old school 3 saddles. This handles all styles easily. Overall this is a solid, versatile guitar that would suit most guitarists. I'm quite a competent player and this just feels right and easy to play.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 8.9
reviews (3) pictures (5) 25 comments vote for this gear:
Mexican Telecaster Reviewed by: jacksonmarshall, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Logans Pianos

Features: My Telecaster was made in 2011 in the Fender factory of Mexico, it is a 60th anniversary with the stamped neck plate. It has an alder body and maple fretboard. It is a solid piece of wood and has the best flame I've ever seen on a Tele: considering its Mexican. It has a string through body bridge and the standard Tele pickups. The tuners are standard Fenders. // 10

Sound: This Tele can do anything except heavy metal/ screamo. It could if you ran it through a pedal and adjusted pickup height. I play AC/DC, Black Sabbath, GN'R and it handles all of these nicely. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was beautiful out of the box. No fret buzz anywhere and the neck was dead flat. I raised the pick-ups abit but that's personal preference. There were no faults whatever with the guitar. I have owned it for a month and can find no faults and I probably wont. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand gigging. Only thing is invest in some Dunlop rotatable strap locks. I would depend on this guitar without a backup. It stays in tune perfectly and I hardly tune it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best guitar ever and it will never leave my collection. Everything is perfect and I would never sell it, I would rather sell a vital organ. If it was stolen it would be my lifes work to track it down and beat the bas%#%d that stole it. // 10

Mexican Telecaster Reviewed by: The Crig, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar

Features: I bought this brand new and it's the 2011 new model. Standard Tele features, stock single coils, 21 medium jumbo frets. This has the more modern bridge with six saddles not the old school 3 saddles. One piece maple neck with bog standard tuners but they do the job and aren't flimsy. The only thing that bothers me is the quality of the volume and tone knob, they seem really cheap so I'll probably change them. // 9

Sound: This handles all styles easily. I mostly play metal and it's superb, even in drop D. It's also good for country, jazz, blues etc. I run this direct into a Marshall MG100HDFX and it sounds awesome. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This was perfect straight out the bag, everything in place and nothing was loose. The action is nice and low so shredding is a breeze. I got the lake placid blue one and it's looks fantastic, stock pictures of this colour do it no justice, you really need to see one to appreciate it. The strings are 9-42 which are good but too light for me, but that's a personal thing, they're still very good strings though. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is solid guitar and the paint seems solid so it should withstand a fair bit of abuse, the neck is also solid and so far, it's holding up very well and it gets played at least 10 hours a week so it should cope with being used live. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a solid, versatile guitar that would suit most guitarists. I'm quite a competent player and this just feels right and easy to play. I'd definitely buy another one and I probably will by the end of the year. My only problem, like I said earlier, is the tone and volume knob, but as this is the cheaper Mexican Fender, I guess they had to cut cost somewhere. // 9

Mexican Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 275

Purchased from: Long and McQuaids, Waterloo

Features: I bought this used from Long and McQuaids. I saw it hanging up and fell in love with it because of it's clean, retro design and colour. It's a lefty, 2008 I think, baby blue in colour with white pick-guard. Has a simple design - solid body with single cutaway, two single coil pick-ups, two controls - tone and volume and a three-way switch. One-piece maple neck and headstock, no glued-on fretboard, a single string-tree for high E and B strings. Tuners are of excellent quality but quite high ratio. I love the clean, simple design and retro-style knobs and switch. // 9

Sound: I find the sound a bit twangy and it often sounds a bit out-of-tune, especially using the bridge pick-up. The neat thing about electrics though, is that so little of the sound is dependent on the guitar so you can tweak just about any guitar through effects pedals, different speaker cabinets, mixer settings, etc. To sound just about any way you want it to. I find it has a very bright sound, especially the highs, which I like. I also like the warm, buzzy sound of the single-coil pick-ups. To better tailor my sound, I've rewired the controls so that the tone control is used to adjust the mix of each pick-up. That's in the middle setting. The other two settings are just the neck pick-up, and both mixed evenly, with the tone control now useless. I figure any decent amp will have a mixer, so what do I need another one on the guitar for? Still, I'd like to have it so that the two "fixed" settings convert the tone knob back into a tone knob, but I don't think there's any good way to do this without adding an extra switch. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first picked up this guitar, the action was extremely low but since then I've fiddled with it and it's not as good as it was. The six-piece saddle is both a blessing and a curse. It means you can get the intonation perfect but only if you have the patience. There's also no question you could set this guitar up with very low action, but again, assuming you have the patience. If I had the money I would take it to the shop and have it professionally set up. One problem that has dogged me from the start is that the saddles are slightly too wide so that the high E string comes right to the edge of fretboard. One of these days I should disassemble the saddle and file each of them down. Another problem is the neck pick-up which was loose and rattling. I've since tightened the screws but now the strings rattle against it instead - one more problem to fix. Lets be honest, despite their fearsome reputation, Fender guitars are not exactly the highest quality out there. Although the fittings seem extremely solid, the design of the body and neck/headstock is so simple it would be almost impossible to screw it up. And while the single-piece neck/headstock may look cool, there is no question that it is a cost-saving measure to make the guitar easier to manufacture and assemble. Final issue: the plug is quite loose, which is exacerbated by it's location - if you play sitting down, it's quite easy to bend the jack, which explains the location of the plug on the Stratocaster. A jack with the wire coming out at right-angles has alleviated this considerably. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Because of it's solid, simple design, this guitar should be very durable. On the other hand, it's quite heavy (~12 lbs) so falls of any distance are potentially disastrous. It did fall off a large amp once and now it has a small crack near the neck. Also, the finish on the headstock is flaking off. Once it pulls off completely you hardly notice it, but in the meantime it looks like a skin disease. Then there's this issue with the plug, which I've covered already. // 8

Overall Impression: I like this guitar a lot, but hardly ever play it because I'm living at my parents' place at the moment. There's no room for the amp in my room and my parents hate the sound of an electric guitar. Also, even with the volume turned almost all the way down on my wimpy 10 Watt portable amplifier, it's still quite loud. I don't mind, but my parents do. I play mostly basic rock on it. I've bought a couple of distortion pedals to go with the amp which has only clean settings. One thing I don't like much about this guitar is the extremely narrow neck. I guess this makes it good for certain styles of rock, but I've yet to master these. I find I much prefer a wide, meaty neck or even a classical neck. // 8

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jazzmaster - Lee Ranaldo Signature 8.6 Electric Guitars 12/19/2014