Modern Player Jaguar Review

reviews (2) pictures (3) 16 comments vote for this gear:
Modern Player Jaguar Reviewed by: Mr Christopher, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: A$ 600

Purchased from: Cranboune Music

Features: 2012. Made in China. A pair of single-coil Modern Player MP-90 pickups on a sans-pickguard mahogany body. A C-shaped maple neck, rosewood fretboard with 9.5" radius and 21 medium jumbo frets, three-way toggle pickup switching, Jazz Bass-style control knobs, vintage-style Adjusto-Matic bridge with anchored tailpiece, vintage-style tuners and nickel/chrome hardware. It's basic. But that's cool. // 8

Sound: Grunge, Indie rock, grunge, BritPop, grunge, alternative... And grunge. Yeah you may notice a theme here. The P90s are a little noisy and a the bridge pickup a little abrasive - but I love it. The sustain is great. The P90s and the mahogany body are just made for each other. There's a real resonance to the sustain. The middle pickup setting sounds nice and mellow on clean channels and the neck is full and punchy. But the bridge is where you want to live. I was thinking about upgrading the pups but I've decided against it. It's really pretty perfect for my tastes. A noise gate cancels the P90 hum. Versatility isn't it's strong point. My Les Paul will give more hard rock mids and crunch for stuff like GnR or Aerosmith. The Strat will be cleaner for your Hendrix workouts and fuzz pedals. But really - anything in between and you can pickup this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: No faults. Really. Look I'm sure there WILL be some out there with faults. But mines pretty flawless. Yes seriously. It's getting 10. Deal with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Had it for 6 months. Nothing's gone wrong. The guitar hasn't faded, bent out of shape or spontaneously combusted. Still looks nice n shiny. In fact my metal desk fan fell on it not long ago (don't ask...) and there wasn't a scratch. // 10

Overall Impression: "But it's not a reeeeeeal Jaguar" is the usual cry that this guitar seems to evoke from over-sensitive gear snobs across the internet that are just dying to be offended. No it isnt but if you look closely you'll realise that - beyond the name - it isn't trying to be a "real" Jaguar. Others will roll their virtual eyes in condescension and make some pseudo-sophisticated comment on how "commercial" Fender are for making these models. Personally I laugh - because I guess Fender daring to give us a range of new and different guitars is somehow a bad thing as well as tremendously UN-cool. ("1963 Strat re-issues 4-eva?") If by chance you're not quivering in terror at the thought of trying something a little different then I suggest you pick this guitar up and give her a go. Yes. It sucks that a $600 guitar (cheaper in the US) sounds and plays almost as good as my $2500 guitar - but lets not hate all over it cause the Chinese actually did a good job on this. I own an American Strat ($1500), a Gibson Les Paul ($2500) and this. This is my favourite guitar. Not the best guitar I own, but my favourite. There's a difference. One day you will understand son. It begs for overdrive and doesn't want to be subtle. But plug this into the Drive channel, dial up some gain, give yourself some volume and hit your favourite chord and if you aren't smiling to yourself at the sound pumping through your neighbors back teeth then you have no business standing near a guitar. // 10

Modern Player Jaguar Reviewed by: JDizzle787, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Wood Bros.

Features: This is a Fender Modern Player Jaguar, outfitted with 2 P90 pickups, a stop tail TOM bridge, angled input jack and a volume and tone knob. Other features include a bone nut, and a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. The body is made of Mahogany. // 9

Sound: Set-up wise, this guitar is great. Off the floor it had great intonation and feel, and tuning stability. Sonically, I was very pleased with this guitar. The clean tone is very balanced (not too bright, not too dark/bass-y), offering an unexpected twang not unlike a telecaster. When it comes to overdrive tones, expect a satisfying and well rounded crunch that can handle pretty much any style (If you can work an amp's EQ, it's possible to get nearly everything you want, although it probably does blues and rock/punk best). I was very, very impressed with how well you can clean up with the volume knob, and even the tone control is useable. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As for stock action, finish and playability, I'm blown away. The action is good, and definitely adjustable if not to taste. Most guitars I've played (and even own) seem very fussy with getting a good balance between action and intonation, and this one is the exception. Don't let the "Made in China" fool you at all; the craftsmanship on this is surprisingly great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not played live extensively with this, but it's worked well so far. All the hardware seems solid, and it holds tune better than most. In a couple months, I'll have more to say on it's reliability, but for now I haven't found any issues that would be foreboding. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is the best guitar I've owned. Now, I'd recommend testing and playing it for yourself before you buy, but if this guitar is an indication of the rest, then I'd definitely say it's worth the time. I've had my share of browsing guitars, and this one just flat out kicks a lot of ass! Nearly everything on this guitar is as good as it can get. Check one out if you see one! // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 08/01/2014