Modern Player Stratocaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Modern Player Stratocaster
It sounds just like a Stratocaster is supposed to sound on the neck and middle pick up positions, and has the fat Strat sound you expect from the bridge pickup. It offer good classic Strat tone, plus extends into the barky aggressive bridge humbucker tonal range.
 Reliability & Durability: 4.5
 6.6
 4.7
 8.5
reviews (2) pictures (4) 20 comments vote for this gear:
Modern Player Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Siglers

Features: 2011 Chinese Fat Strat, Modern Player series. 22 frets, Alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. Pretty much what you would expect feature wise, the humbucker splits when you pull the bottom tone knob up (push/pull pot). Synchronised tremolo, Vintage style tuners (pretty good). Only comes in 2 colors, white, or silver burst, both have black pick guards and covers. The bottom tone knob adjusts the bridge pickup and the top knob does the neck and middle unlike some Strats. Only features you wont find are the skunk stripe neck, synchronised tremolo decal under the Stratocaster decal, or the original custom conture body decal on the ball of the head stock. A couple alen wrenches and the trem arm are the only other items included. // 9

Sound: It sounds just like a Stratocaster is supposed to sound on the neck and middle pick up positions, and has the Fat Strat sound you expect from the bridge pickup, (which is a little different than you get from a typical Strat, even when split to a single coil). It is pretty quiet. You can nail classic Strat tones with it, plus it has the versatility of the single coil/humbucking bridge pickup. It sounds just as good as my $699 Mexican Classic Series '50s Reissue. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The fit and finish are awesome, nothing to complain about here, and evrything worked perfect. The intonation is about dead on, the action was very good, but there as a slight mid fretboard buzz. The neck had a touch of bow in it, (I'd almost say overly straight) I relaxed the truss rod a little less than a 1/4 turn and the buzz was gone. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems about as well made as any mid grade Strat I've ever seen. I believe it is a well tested design and soundly constructed, with proper treatment this guitar should last a lifetime+. I would never gig without a backup. The varnish is very thick and glossy on the guitar, I'm sure it will stand up to normal use indefinitely. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music, been playin about 25 years. I've owned MIM and MIJ Stratocasters, and an MIA Mustang, and I've had (and have) lots of other brands as well. This guitar is about as good as any Strat I've ever played, I've played good ones, crappy ones, and even one great one. My Modern Player is very good. It offer good classic Strat tone, plus extends into the barky aggressive bridge humbucker tonal range. The tone control on the bridge pickup letting you take a little high end off can be nice, I wish my MIM would do that. If it were lost or stolen I would for sure buy another, its the best value going on a Fender branded Stratocaster, and they are very nice. I also have a Modern Player Jaguar, and for that classic P90 + Mahagony tone they're the best deal goin. // 9

Modern Player Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: HSS Strat with the gray/black finish and a coil splitter for the humbucker. Bought at Guitar Center and left a negative review and they refused to post it (same thing at Musician's Friend, which I think are ONE company). Be aware of the reviews because I got a feeling that not many negative ones make it. Hopefully this one does :-) Made in China...enough said right? // 1

Sound: Now it's really good, but out of the box (and tuned) was terrible. it sounded like a bunch of birds under the hood of a car. I've seen Walmart guitars have better sound than this thing. All the money I saved had to be used to make this junker a little less junky! New strings a good setup has it sounding great, but the finish still sucks! // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: Horrible action, horrible finish!!! Fret board doesn't come even with the neck at the neck pickup. Finish looks like it was done by a 1st grader. Lots of buzzing at the 2nd and 3rd frets. Had to pay $60 to have someone go through it properly. At least I didn't pay that much for it huh! // 1

Reliability & Durability: Don't know quite yet... It looks cheap, but may hold up. Only time will tell. I especially love the cheapy Vintage tuners lol! Save your money and buy something better. You're paying for the "Fender" name on this junker. I've seen Squiers that sound and look alot better. // 1

Overall Impression: P.O.S. Buy anything but this guitar! Thankfully the bad finish is on the back of the guitar. If this thing was stolen it would be doing me a favor ughh! I don't love it, that's for sure. And Guitar Center won't take the guitar back...Merry Christmas to me. I won't be shopping @ Guitar Center in the future. Please SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! // 1

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014