Modern Player Telecaster Plus Review

8.7
reviews (3) pictures (2) 53 comments vote for this gear:
Modern Player Telecaster Plus Reviewed by: KingSwedefire, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Dawsons Music

Features: Made in China, 2011. - 22 medium jumbo frets on a maple neck. - Pine body - HSS pickup configuration consisting of a Modern Player humbucker, a Strat middle pup and a Tele neck pickup. - Coil tap - Available in honeyburst (mine) or charcoal (which is actually black). Flawless finish // 9

Sound: I play things like RHCP, White Stripes, Nirvana, Foo Fighters and Soundgarden, among others. The bridge humbucker is paticularly good for that Nirvana kind of top end crunch. However it can go into even some forms of metal! Trust me, this axe is a versatile beast. The coil tap is a bit disappointing however, as it produces an incredibly weak sound, although it is good for some funk. The Strat and Tele pickups work as you'd expect, noise and all, yet despite the Tele pup, this does feel like just a fat Strat in a Telecaster suit, though I like this. It's very nice though that the middle and neck pickups together are noise cancelling. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was fine when this guitar came, and the pickups were adjusted fine. However, what did cheese me off somewhat was that mine had a loose output jack, though this was an easy fix, nothing to worry about too much. The action was well set up on mine, maybe a bit buzzy, but different peoples modern players probably have a varying success rate. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I don't play live, and haven't had the guitar long enough to see it's up for the test, but when I know I will state in the comments. Despite what people say, the pine wood feels very solid and the strap locks are tight, and the finish seems good enough to last. // 8

Overall Impression: I play alot of different music types, and this versatile guitar is perfect for all of them. Sure, I've only been playing for two years, but this is a beautiful guitar that is so affordable that everyone should own one. Having considered this and the Mexican made Standard Telecaster, this is as well built and more versatile for a better price. China isn't as bad quality as people think, it would seem. If it were stolen, I'd buy another, its that good. Go buy one now! // 9

Modern Player Telecaster Plus Reviewed by: jakevp, on october 18, 2013

Features: A 2013 Chinese made Modern Player Plus comes with 22 frets, a solid top of pine, a glossy clear coat over a charcoal or honey burst stain, strung through the body, 5 way selector, with the usual configuration (Like a strat), volume and tone as well as a coil tap for the humbucker in the bridge position, and vintage style tuners. At this price it came as is, no case. I had a leftover Fender hardshell that was initially meant for a strat, but this fit perfectly in it. One of their heavy duty road cases. // 8

Sound: It sounds like a tele! I heard someone describe the pickups as "Jazzy." Coming from a seasoned jazz guitar background, that could not be any less accurate. The humbucker is great to have, but more bass response does NOT equal jazz. I had this through a Built By Speck PBR Drive (A Timmy transparent OD clone) and a Flashback X4 to my Vox AC15 CC with an Avatar Helatone speaker. It isn't as chimey as some of the more expensive teles can be, through my setup at least. But it got a great single coil tone right off the bat. Gives you that "dual amp" tone, where the overdrive takes the subtle backseat to the clean tone. Super tasty. When the neck and middle pickup are joined, it is noise cancelling. The neck and middle can be a little noisy, but not enough to bother me. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Stays in tune great so far, frets play even, the tuners have not slipped yet. The back of the neck is a little "gummy," and I may go ahead and sand it down like a lot of players do. There are a few factory pictures that make the charcoal finish look more walnut-y, I assure you it is a true charcoal. It looks black in most light, and you can still see some of the grain. I much prefer the saddles this came with as opposed to the vintage tele style. They stay in tune much better and do not have the same tendency to slip. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this nearly long enough to now for sure how long anything will truly last. But as a touring musician I would take this on the road out of the box. And it was cheap enough I could just buy another if things went horribly wrong. It's one of the more inspiring tele's I've played, after shopping around for a couple years. The clear coat is hefty, so if you really wanted to relic it, you'd have your work cut out. It is so darned cheap though, and doesn't carry the Squire stigma. I put 11's on it immediately, which changed the way it felt for the better. But it should probably be set up for that tension. // 7

Overall Impression: I have been playing alternative rock, folk, pop, and jazz for 13 years. I own a Steve Andersen Metro Special archtop, a 2001 PRS Custom 22, and got rid of my Jazzmaster Classic Player for this. I have toured extensively in the US, Canada and Europe and would take this with me any day. I may eventually swap out the pickups for something slightly higher quality, and strip the finish and stain it a bit lighter. This plays as well as any tele I've picked up (Tele Deluxe that I played on the road for a couple tours, Hot rod teles which I loved, and thinlines I've played in studio). // 9

Modern Player Telecaster Plus Reviewed by: patrick.pesch, on january 15, 2014

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: Purchased Dec '13... Took a chance and bought it unseen based on reviews and friend's recommendations only. Pine body, burst finish. Typical Fender Tele stock, maple neck, Modern Player (MP) telecaster, stratocaster, and humbucker pickups. Volume, tone controls, sliding switch pickup selector, double/single pickup switch for the Humbucker. The burst finish is beautiful, and the maple fretboard is silky to move against. The frets are good, but it seems like a couple might have been final sanded a bit more... But nothing major. // 8

Sound: First impressions... VERY versatile. You can immediately get a lot of different tones out of this guitar. The tele pickup is chimey, but I am told not quite as much as a standard tele. Playing through a Fender Princeton Chorus clean is very crisp, with a kind of unique "attack" to the stings. Didn't notice any noise beyond single coil stuff, but less than expected really. Very impressed with the range of tone. While teles are knows for their brightness, it's really cool to hear the humbucker tones coming out of this. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Made in China guitar... This will be a deal stopper for many unfortunately. If mine is any example, this is a very good guitar coming out of a manufacturing facility with very good quality controls. I don't think after 3 hrs of playing I need to have it set up... It's comfortable and the intonation is wonderful. Literally no complaints at this point (after 3 hrs) other than a couple of little "catches" on the frets I will sand down with some steel wool (use a neck guard!!!) sometime soon. But I am very happily surprised by the fit & finish of this guitar right out of the box. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Just got it - It feels at least as solid as my early 90's mexican strat... Finish looks very durable and evenly applied. The only complaint is the tuners are cheap - They seem to be staying in tune, but I just have a feeling based on experience that they will start slippling. But I like locking tuners so eventually I *will* put some on... I would expect this guitar to hold up like my Mexican strat... Which is from '91... without having to worry much about it. The pickups look pretty standard and are solidly mounted, etc... This is a solid guitar! // 8

Overall Impression: Don't let "China" scare you - this guitar has a great, solid feel and plays like a dream for me. The tone is *way* better than I expected. I play a lot of blues, blues rock, and some "grungier stuff" like Neil Young / Crazy Horse. This guitar seems to be able to stand in for a lot of genres - I will try to update this in 6 months to let everyone knows how this Tele holds up. I intend to play it a lot. :-) If you are looking for a guitar with a versatile range of tones and excellent playability you can do a lot worse than putting $400 down for one of these babies. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Hot Rod DeVille 410 8.6 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014