Mustang Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Mustang
22 frets. Rosewood neck. 2 single coil pickups. Slab body with a flying dynamic vibrato.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 7.5
reviews (18) pictures (2) 37 comments vote for this gear:
Mustang Reviewed by: Heavygain, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Schmitt Music

Features: 1969 Mustang reissue, made in Japan. 22 frets. Dynamic Vibrato bridge. Dual single coil pickups. Volume & tone knobs. Dual phase in/out switches. Vintage tuners, Fender best I can tell. Came with a gig bag and a tremelo bar. Laminated top. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of rhythmic, Morello like guitaring. I use very obscure techniques and I love this guitar for all the wierd noises I can conjure. I am a very big fan of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana but do not get this guitar if you are trying to sound like Kurt or want that sort of sound. Kurt Customized the hell out of his Mustang and made it more like a Les Paul than a Fender. If you insist on a Fender to sound like a Nirvana but you don't want to put a ton of money into switching the guitar up, buy a Jaguar HH, you will seem a lot less like a Kurt wannabe. I use a Fender Frontman 15G as my practice amp but my gig/main amp is a Marshall MG100DFX. She can make a very large variety of sounds and tones. The stock pickups are basically the distinct part of the Mustang, they are what really seperate the Mustang from the other Fenders and the other guitars that are out there in general. You do get quite a bit of noise when idle but you get that with any single coil. I use a lot of distortion and play with my feedback alot so I love this guitar, the hum and all. If you absolutly despise the idle noise, this won't be for you, I personally don't mind it at all, in fact I've found ways to use it to my advantage. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfect from factory. Great action, the pups were adjusted great, everything was routed right, nothing wrong with it. No loose tuning pegs, good cut nut, well fit saddle, good pup selector, good controls, etc. All were very done to perfection. The only thing I did not like was that there was a low E buzz from the start, didn't take much effort to fix that though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is my baby. I feel everything on it will last and it will always be my main guitar, not smashing this one. I already use it but I have had a bad expierence with no back-up with my old Strat so I always have a back-up, I don't think I will ever have to use it though. I highly doubt the finish will ever wear off. The strap buttons are slightly weak but not much to stress over. The Guitar will hold up brilliantly live. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of funk-ish rock (by this I mean I incorporate timing and muting alot in my music), a lot of grunge, a lot of shred, and a lot of punk, some blues. It does great for almost all of these, not so much blues because it doesn't contain the right tone for that, it's not humbucker enough for blues I guess. I've been playing for 4 years or so and I play lead guitar and vocals in a band, I own 3 1950 Strats, a Studio LP, a home made guitar of my own style, and a Jag-Stang. I adore the gut switches, my favorite part of this guitar. I also love the shape, it feels like a Strat but more comfortable on the bottom and better looking in my opinion. I wish that there was a faster and simpler way to Switch the gut switches consequtivly but I'm developing a tool to help me with this. I compared this guitar to the Vintage Jaguar, The Jag-Stang, and a BC rich. I chose this one because it felt the most comfortable, had the best sound, and looked the best to me. I couldn't help but bring it home. The only thing stopping it from the 10/10 is the gut switching. They are my favorite feature over the pickup selector but make stage work with them tougher. // 9

Mustang Reviewed by: iwannabeanarchy, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Mass St. Music

Features: It is a '02 RI MIJ Mustang. It has 22 frets and a rose wood neck, and 2 single coil pickups with 2 switches for phase in/out/off control. Its competion blue with a sweet ass racing stripe modeled after the old mussle cars of the 60's. It has a slab body with a flying dynamic vibrato. // 10

Sound: It great for any kind of music, except metal cuz of the single coils. I play mostly blues and 60's acid rock, but its a great guitar. Im playin threw a Peavey classic 50 half stack which sounds beautiful. It can make so many sounds that it boggles your mind just what to use with which song. I love the smooth clean and raunchy distorion tone you get outta this bitch it's awesome. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Perfect action, nothing at all wrong with it from the factory but I've owned it about half a year so theres a little bit of stand wear. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would use this on a gig definately as I already do, and I'm not worried about having a back up, strap buttons are a little weak but nothin to much to worry about. Finish is nice and will wear but not easily as do all finishes but nothin is prettier than a worn in Fender. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a little bit of everything, it's good for everything. I've been playing for about 3 or 4 years and it's as good a guitar as I'll ever need. I've played alot of mustangs and this is up there with the Vintage ones. The only guitar I'd recommend over it is a 60's or 70's Strat but who wouldnt. // 10

Mustang Reviewed by: KillYourIdols, on november 09, 2012

Features: The Fender Mustang that I bought was made in 1995 and crafted in Japan. The neck is made of maple and has a rosewood fingerboard. The maple has a nice Vintage tint. The scale of the guitar is 24". You might be thinking the guitar is smaller than other guitars. But it is really comfortable. The Mustang has a solid basswood body and has nice acoustics when it isnt plugged in. The controls given are volume, tone, and one 3-way Switch for each pickup. The 3-way Switch can Switch from in phase, off, and out phase. The turning off of pickups are really neat. The pickup configuration is single coil and single coil. I dont complain about the pickups but if you want the humbucker sound. Save some money and buy a single coil sized humbucker. The tuners are great there is no tuning issues. The Mustang also has a Vibrato tailpiece. I don't use the tremolo because of tuning problems. Like it would go out of tune really easily. So what you have to do is lock down your tremolo or just dont use it. After that you don't have to worry about anything else. // 9

Sound: The Fender Mustang is great for rock. I only play rock so I don't know if it's good for other music styles but I'm sure it is. You can add any effect and the sound from the guitar will amaze you. The settings that I use to play Nirvana and anything with distortion is: turn off the neck pup and put the bridge pickup on in or out phase, volume - 10, and tone - 10. Another setting that I use for Stairway To Heaven, acoustic songs, or songs without distortion is: put the neck pickup on in or out phase and turn the bridge off, volume - 10, tone - 10. The guitar can be rich and full or bright or noisy (ex. Kurt Cobain's music). It all depends on what settings you put it at. Just experiment. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My Fender Mustang was used and had been through two owners. I adjusted the action and pickup height to my liking and it meets my expectations in a perfect guitar. The guitar had a couple of indentations on the back of the guitar but nothing very noticable. But hey its 10 years old and been through 2 owners. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live so I dont know if it will withstand live playing. But from seeing and hearing other people's experiences, it will withstand a live performance. I haven't replaced any of the hardware and everything looks new. The hardware will last for a long time. I have been depending on my Fender Mustang since the day I bought it. It has never failed me. The finish on the guitar is not thin and it will not wear off easily. But that does not mean you should throw it around unless you want that Vintage vibe. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of my Fender Mustang is that it is one of the best guitars ever made. The only complaint that I have and others that I know is the tremolo. Fender should have spent more time on the tremolo. But it wont go out of tune if you don't use it. Awesome guitar and I highly recommend! // 9

Purchased from: A friend

Features: It is a '90s made in Japan Fender Mustang. It has 22 frets and a rose wood neck, and 2 single coil pickups with 2 switches for phase in/out/off control. It's competion red with a racing stripe (like the picture). It has a slab body with a flying dynamic vibrato. I took the tailpiece of the vibrato and flipped it around so the tremelo bar is not funtional. I did this to combat the touchy nature of the vibrato system (helps it stay in tune). // 8

Sound: I play Indie rock stuff and blues and jazz. This guitar suits my style very well and I really do love it. The only modification I am still thinking of doing is getting some Seymour Duncan Little '59s in place of the single coils. My blues and jazz just screams for humbuckers. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was set up amazing. The action is low and fast. The only issue I have is the strap buttons. I would suggest getting strap locks as soon as possible (just to be safe). // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last as long as I still want to play it. The finish isn't going anywhere. I would bring a backup but I would never need it. I am always on the safe side. // 10

Overall Impression: This thing plays great and is my first real introduction to the world of high quality instruments. I will never purchase another crappy instrument and I may pickup a Vintage Mustang because of the one I already own. I love this guitar and after a pickup swap it will be my dream quitar. If you can find a Japanese Mustang - pick it up, they are full of late '60s and '70s mojo. // 10

Purchased from: Crossroads Music

Features: It is a 1969 reissue and it's Japanese made. 22 frets with a rosewood fretboard. Also, it has a laminated top. The finish is a Vintage white without a racing stripe. Has volume and tone knobs. It comes with two single coil pickups. // 10

Sound: I play mostly rock and grunge, it works out perfectly. I use my Fender Blues Junior amp, and it really sounds great. The pickups will make some noise when not in play. I can make this thing go from crunchy and mean to clear and soft. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was amazingly setup, no adjustments have been made. The pickups are great, but I might get some different ones. No flaws were found, the neck was all setup, and it played very well at the store. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It will go through live playing, the hardware will last a lifetime. The strap buttons seem okay to me, some people recommend new ones, I don't. I would play a gig without a backup and bring my Mustang. The finish seems like it will last a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: My style of music is grunge (Nirvana) and rock n' roll, perfect match! I have been playing for about a year now. I love everything about it, it looks even better in person. // 10

Mustang Reviewed by: HmTownHero1007, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Hubbard Music

Features: It was made in 2003 in Japan. It features a 22 fret maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. The neck has a great looking Vintage tint to it and its got the Vintage style headstock like the ones of the late '60s. The finish is great looking. It had a deep dark blue finish with two baby blue stripes. It has a floating trem. It has 2 passive single coil pickups. It has a volume aand a tone control, and it feature switches to put the pickups out of phase to make a thinner sound. It came with a free deluxe gig bag whcih is pretty cool. The whole guitar has a Vintage vibe to it. // 10

Sound: It suits my music style completely (which is surf punk, ska, punk rock, Indie, and hardcore). I am using it now with a Marshall JCM 800 half stack and it sounds so great. It can be a little noisy when on high gain settings but other than that there sin't very much noise at all. The bridge pickup makes a very bright sound that sounds good with a heavy overdrive for a good lead sound. The neck it very bassy, almost too bassy for my tastes. When you flip the pickup phase Switch and turn the tone controll up, it sounds just like a crybaby wah all the way forward, and ver harsh. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up nearly perfect. The strings that came with it sounder crisp and new, and the action was very low but not too low. There were no flaws at all on the guitar. It arrived at the shop in immaculate condition. I have made any changes since I've bought it (other than changing the strings). // 10

Reliability & Durability: The only complaint I have about reliability is the floating trem. It tends to go out of tune easily. I would probly gig without a backup. The strap buttons were ok when I got it, but I replaced them out for straplocks. I dropped the guitar on a heard wood floor the first day I had it, and it left no marks at all. The finish is very durable. // 8

Overall Impression: My favorite guitar I own (even more than a 1960 Les Paul Custom [SG style]). I've been playing for 6 years and I own a Marshall plexi and JCM 800, and a lot of Vintage Gibson guitars, but this one is my favorite. If it were stolen I would track down who stole it and smack their mother. Then buy another one. I chose this over a '60s Strat reissue and I couldn't be happier. I couldn't be happier with this at all. I love everthing about it! Go out and buy one now! // 10

Mustang Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: This might have been before the Euro came in, so It could have been about 750 old Irish pounds. I can't really remember. Fender Japan 1969 Competition Mustang in Candy Apple Red with white Racing Stripe. Made in 2002/3. 22 fret short scale neck. Neck is made of maple with a rosewood fretboard. The body is either basswood or alder. // 10

Sound: When I first got this guitar, I was only learning to play and stuggled with the strange set up. I found it hard to contain the hum and crackle of the pickups when they're left idle on a distorted channel, and couldn't get anything other than muffled too-deep grumbling tones from it. This had a lot to do me not knowing what the hell I was at with my amp and pedals. I still use all the same gear, A Peavey Bandit 112 100w Guitar amp (the modern section on the clean channel is almost as good as a Fender bassman for about 1/5th the price, if you set it up right). Into this channel I run a Boss DS-2. After this I use various chorus, delay and flanger pedals and a tuner pedal. This set up gives me the most amazing vibrant distortion that sounds great live and in studio. Some people might find it a little harsh, but that's why I love it. The guitar can make some really nice clean tones but with little or no sustain. You'd need a lot of reverb or chorus to fatten up the sound, unless a crispy twang is exactly what you're after. Fiddling with the gut switches allows several different tones, many of them quite unique to the Mustang, to be created. I usually just use the neck pick up (in phase) on it's own. The guitar has lovely warmth but still a crispy edge to it in this position. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is flawless, sparkley metallic red with a dazzling white pearloid pickguard and gleaming chrome hardware. The tones weren't great out of the box, but it's that long ago that I honestly can't remember what I did to the set up. I'm sure I adjusted the pick-ups at some stage, but the action was always fine. The jack input has come very loose a couple of times but that's just a lack of proper maintenance on my part. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I use this guitar live all the time. But recently, I've been using it less often. This is because I have on a few occasions hit the gut switch and turned the guitar completely off in the middle of a song. It could be my habit of strumming up near the neck of the guitar that causes this, perhaps other players wouldn't have any trouble. I've been meaning to put some tape over the switch to stop it from moving, but don't want to ruin the aesthetics of the instrument. I still use it, but not on any harder/faster tracks to try and prevent this from happening again. Because of this, I keep a Mexican Strat ('70s reissue with large headstock, fantastic guitar) or an American Ash Telecaster (this one's given me nothing but trouble) onstage for at all times, and Switch between the two (always the Mustang and one other guitar) throught my set as appropriate. // 8

Overall Impression: I play up tempo alt rock with a grungy edge. The guitar is perfect for the tones I want, but that has a lot to do with my amp and pedal settings, as my Tele and Strat sound great too. The best thing about this guitar is the way it looks. Just on it's stand it's gorgeous, but under some good stage lights the guitar just shimmers. Plus, there aren't too many people using Mustangs these days so the whole "stand out" factor plays a large part too. My favourite features are the weird shape and the pickups. My Mustang just seems to fit me properly and while I can get similar tones from a Strat or Tele, the noise from the Mustang pick-ups cannot be replicated, and add a real edge to my sound. If this guitar was stolen. I'd find the guy Who took it and kill him. Failing that, I'd buy one the same. // 10

Mustang Reviewed by: Gabel, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Förstarkardoktorn

Features: It's a 1969 reissuie Competition Red Mustang was made 2004 in Japan. It has 22 frets and a rosewood fretboard and maple neck. The body is made out of alder I think. It has a Mustang bride. Passive Mustang single-coil pickups. It has a master volume and a master tone control. It has two three way sliders for pickups. Standard tuners. The shop got me a hardcase and changed the strings (I want 0.10 instead of 0.9). It has all you need! Fantastic features! // 10

Sound: It suits me perfectly. Its quite trebly, but not as twhangy as a Tele. I love the sound. I play Nirvana, White Stripes, Green Day, The Clash, The Ramones, AC/DC, Flogging Molly, Guns N' Roses and The Who. I alter etwen this and my fathers Epi Special II. The Epi has a humbucker sound this for single coil. Its a nice comination. I use it thru my Behringer amp, and it works ok (the amp has bit bad clean controls). The pickups does hum, but sounds really cool distorted. But this isnt something for metal, but for punk and lighter rock it's perfect. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well cant tell factiry setup, beacouse the guitar was just hanging in the store collecting dust (thats why it was so cheap). But I really like the action. The store got me 0.10 Fedner Bullet strings, wich are really good. The pickups ere well adjusted. There no falws on it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It would survive live, no problem. It's a solid guitar. As long as you dont smash it in the ground it wont break (but what guitar wouldn't). The hardware will last. Fantastic strap buttons. I can depend on it, as long as I can tune it. It goes out of tune fast (beacouse of the tremolo). The finish will last, without any problems. // 9

Overall Impression: It works gret with me. It looks fantastic. I got beacouse my Telecaster broke, so I got this. And it was a good deal. This one is almost in the same league as the USA made. There really unusal to. If it were stolen I would find the person if I could and reposses my favourite guitar! If not I would get either a new one or a Fender Jaguar. Nothing I wish it had. // 10

Mustang Reviewed by: kevinXfender, on november 09, 2012

Features: 1969 re-issue (2005) made in Japan. 22 frets. Short scale neck. Mahogany body with maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. Sonic blue finish. Dynamic Mustang vibrato tailpiece with hangning whammy bar. The brigde is Tune-O-Matic like a Gibson with some Fender modfications. Very quiet dual Mustang style single coil pickups. One tone and one volume knob with in/out sliding switches for each pickup. Chrome tuners. // 9

Sound: I play alot of punk and alternative with some occasional classic rock. I play it on a Fender FM212 with a Fender pedal. I'm a huge Fender guy. The clean tone is amazing. It has very strong bass notes with clear high notes. But when put on distortion, the bass overpowers everything else and is a really spacy distortion sound. This can be fixed by turning off the bass pickup located at the neck. When you do this, the sound is great, but dont go near any lamps or computers or sterios (ect) because the single coil pickups will get a hum from the signal the electronis are letting off. The guitar has a wide variety of sounds. It can get a grungy heavy sound or a light mellow calm sound. basically, If you adjust your amp and pickups, you can do anything. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little high when I bought it but I was able to fix that by lowering the bridge with. It came with really light flexible strings on it. Everything on it was great. It had a great feel, the neck was still straight, and it was nice and light. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have recorded with this guitar a few times and it sounds great when you record a live room. I hit it on a few objects around the house and it only has one nearly invisible ding on the headstock. I love this guitar with all my heart. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 4 years now and this is my favorite guitar by far. It's great for all types of music. Especially older music like the beatles because its neck is super small so you can move your positioning really fast. If it were stolen/lost? What kind of question is that? I'd hunt the bith that took it down, and then curb stomp him and get my guitar back. The guitar is overall an amazing guitar with an amazing feel. The only downside, is I wish it had humbuckers. The Mustang is deffinately two thumbs up. // 10

Purchased from: Friend

Features: Bright blue made in Mexico 24 frets. Honestly, the seller didn't know much about the materials used, but my guess is rosewood for the neck. Nice retro tortoise-shell pickguard with two individual pickup controls, in- and out- of-phase settings. Two knobs, one volume and one tone. Simple enough. I got a great hard-case included, but that was from the seller and not included with the original package. I love the look and feel and don't have a single complaint. // 9

Sound: It suits almost everything I play perfectly. I play everything from the blues to Metallica, and it sounds great all the time. I use a Fender Frontman 30R as my amp most of the time, but it sounds great no matter how crappy the amp I use is. Great bright sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Great setup, both now and from the factory. The pickups were perfect when I got them, and I heard from the seller that they were just as good when he bought it. Everything was absolutely perfectly setup. Not a single flaw anywhere on the guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Extremely reliable. I'd play without a backup anytime. The hardware seems like it'll last as long as I do. The finish is great, hasn't worn of fat all. Both reliable and durable all the way. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, this suits almost everything I do. I've been playing for 3 years and playing with this guitar for about 6 months. I used an absolute crap cheap Yamaha before I bought this. I have no doubt that this was the right choice for a new guitar. If I lost it (God forbid) I'd probably buy another, although I wouldn't have the money. I got a great deal on this one. I love everything about it, but I love the look the most, I usually don't care that much about appearence but this thing's a beauty. I was thinking of getting an SG Faded, and was totally torn, but I went with the Mustang on a whim and I don't regret it at all. // 10

Mustang Reviewed by: ToBeAGooner, on november 09, 2012

Features: This appears to be a 2005 CIJ 1969 reissue Fender Mustang. The body is a bass wood and I believe the neck to be maple. The scale of the neck is slightly shorter than average, but plays to my advantage due to my smallish hands. The bridge is a Fender Dynamic Vibrato which works fantastically, except for the fact that it tends to go out of tune rather easily. The stock pickups were swapped out for Duncan 1/4 Strat pickups, so I do not know how the original stock pickups sounded. The Stang also has the interesting phase selector switches which can really open up some fascinating tonal possibilities, not normally possible. // 9

Sound: I play all sorts of music, and this guitar can do it all. I run through a TS9, a dynacomp, a DD3, and a Ibanez flanger into a Vintage 72 SG amplifier, the sounds I can get with this set up are so authentic that I might as well be in the '60s. The pickups are noisy, but if you did not know that allready about single coils, you should be slapped stupid. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I dont know about factory set up, but this guitar was perfect the day I brought it home. The action and the intonation are excellent. The only flaw this guitar had was a small gouge on the backside, but its not really relevant. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last me until the day I die. The hardware is pretty good, the strap buttons are weakish, but I usually replace those anyway. The finish is really thick so I do not have worries about it. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great buy. I do not know about the stock pickups, but this guitar rages with the Quarter Pound Strat pickups. If it were lost, I would replace it, or save up enough for a nice CIJ Jazzmaster. I got a great deal, and if you get offered up a good deal, then take it and run, this guitar will not fail you. // 9

Mustang Reviewed by: backtothe70s, on november 09, 2012

Sound: I play mostly Blues, Rock stuff and this guitar is perfect for it. I use it with a Line6 Spider II 112 trough a TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/flanger+pitch modulator and a DigiTech Grunge pedal. I have tried it with valve amps and that is really sweet. The guitar itself can sometimes give a little buzz but not much to disturb (the amp is noisy though). I love the sound of it. really good for clean things, you can get some nice sometimes funny sounds from it. the only problem for me is when I just put on new strings. then the lo w E and A strings give a lot of buzz but that disapears after 1 day or 2 when the strings has got tensioned. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The only thing I have ever need to do since I got it after my father, is to lover the strings. Everything was good. It only has some spots where the paint has gone away from taking some hits I think. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has taken on lot of live playing when my father was in a band when he was young. everything on this guitar is still where it should be. I really depend on it the only thing that you shouldent do is to play outside I think, like most guitars the string get out of tone really quick. // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues and rock mostly and this guitar is perfect. I'we been playing for 3 years and thsi is the only electric guitar I own. I love this guitar and if you play blues, rock and clean things then this guitar is perfect. If you play metal or so then this is all wrong. To get a pinch out of it is hard. // 9

Mustang Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar is very interesting. It is a 2005 reissue of the '69 Mustang. It was crafted in Japan, and it seems to be built very well. It has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard. I'm not sure what woods are used on it, unfortunately. The finish is great. You can't chip it. Beware though: the Vintage white can sometimes come out as a custard yellow color (which is what I have, but it still looks nice). The body is great. It's lightweight, has a unique shape, and it is incredibly comfortable. The bridge is this weird floating vibrato thing. I wouldn't have chosen it, but it isn't a total loss. The Mustang has some very unique controls: two sitches above the strings. It also has your basic two knobs for volume and tone. I've heard those fall off, so keep your super glue handy. One of my two main complaints is that the pickups are weak. I'm planning on swapping those out with some Seymour Duncan Cool Rails. The tuners are your standard non-locking ones. They go out of tune fairly quickly. You need to tune it at least once a day. // 9

Sound: This guitar is pretty good at my music style. I play punk, rock, alternative, and occasionally jazz or blues. The neck is really small so I can move on it really quickly, which comes in handy for playing eighth notes and even faster. I run it through two amps: an old Squier 15-watt practice amp and a 30-watt Line 6 Spider II practice amp. I can get a good distortion sound out of the Mustang if I tweak it right. However, the single coils are a little limiting. The guitar has a very bright sound. Mine sounds a little too bright so I will fix that sooner or later. If you mess with your amp and those weird pickup switches you can get plenty of sounds. I got a funky RHCP sound and then did a 180 and got a nice distorted sound. It can also do an almost acoustic sound if you play it lightly. Depending on your effects, you can get whatever sound you want. However, I would recommend swapping out the pickups just because you can get a better sound. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up nicely. I just had some minor problems that I tweaked. The high e string would come pop out during heavy playing so I used my pcoket knife to cut a deeper groove for it to fit through. The pickups were put in fine. I probably have the bottom of the barrel of them, but they get the job done. The color wasn't what I had expected, but I still love it. Other than that, everything was fine on the guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will stand up to everything. That finish will not chip. I've only had it a few days and have already banged it several times. Nothing. It's still beautiful. The strap came loose, so I think I will get some strap locks. I think this guitar could hold up to live playing. The stock strings though, not so much. They're brittle and very twangy. Not what I want. If I was in a band and could gig, I would play this without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: This is great match for my style. I have an Epiphone SG as well and some acoustic guitars. The SG handles the heavy sound because of the humbuckers and the Mustang can handle the lighter stuff. I've only been playing for a year and a half, but I spend a lot of time playing and messing around with my instruments. If this guitar was lost or stolen I probably wouldnt buy another one. This isn't because of the guitar, it's more because I don't have much money. If anything I'd buy a MIM Tele or something like that. I compared this to many Fender guitars, such as the Cyclone, Jaguar, Strat, and Tele. The Cyclone was cool, but I didn't want the humbucker and single coil combo. The Jag was too expensive. Everyone plays a Strat. My last resort was a Tele, which I love, but I was drawn to the Mustang. What I like about this guitar is that it has a unique look and it's built pretty well. What I don't like is the scale is a little small and the pickups are weak, even for single coils. If I could make it better I'd put in some better pickups, some strap locks for safety, and some better strings. Overall though, this is a fun little machine. It gets what you want from it. // 9

Mustang Reviewed by: wildyoda2, on november 09, 2012

Features: Made in America in 1965. 22 low/medium frets on a 24+ inch scale B-sized neck. Rosewood fingerboard. Rocker bridge, fully adjustable for intonation and overall height (not individual height).I believe it's an alder body. This guitar was poorly refinished when I bought it so I refinished it again in a natural satin finish. I replaced the original switches and black pickguard with parts from AllParts. Now it looks like an old school desktop with a nice red tortoiseshell pickguard. When I got this guitar the tuners had already been replaced with OEM tuners. This has two original single-coil pick-ups and two three-way switches that allow for on/off/phase switching. Unique Mustang vibrato that has been reversed for no wrap-around string loading. // 10

Sound: The Mustang is a very unique instrument. Phase switching, the unusual vibrato, and the non-Strat single coils give this guitar a distinctive sound. To me, it sounds less brash than a Strat with more separation between high and low strings, making it very appropriate for funk/soul/jazz. There is also less sustain which will not be attractive to lead players/metal maniacs/maybe even rock guitarists. It still has the duck/cluck sound of the Strat though, which should appeal to country pickers. It's almost an acoustic response; darker, less screaming, yet not totally even, which allows for more character to present itself. The pick-ups are a bit noisy but that should be expected. If there is too much hum a ground wire can be sent to the bridge. High-gain settings eliminate any distinctiveness. The pick-ups aren't strong enough for crunch and the lack of sustain inhibits extended lead soloing. This guitar is exceptional for rhythm chording and TRUE soloing, where melody, Harmony, and accompaniment are combined by one player. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was not set-up by the factory but it plays beautifully with a low action on very low medium frets. Unfortunately these original frets have been leveled (maybe several times) so that there is not much left to them. It's great now, but a refret will have to be done some time in the near future. The pick-ups are non-adjustable. It has been refinished, at least twice. It was my first refinishing job so the finish is far from perfect but it looks totally appropriate for a guitar of this age. The wood shows some imperfections that would have been covered up by the original finish and it has some filled holes that can be distinguished but this just adds to the character. The original pick-up selectors were noisy and unreliable due to their age but the replacements are much better. There is some oxidation/rust on the bridge and tailpiece but that should be expected on a guitar of this age too. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Not being dead yet, I always play it live. The hardware should last except for the frets which seem to be original although leveled. Eventually they will need to be replaced. The strap buttons are solid enough. If you find yourself breaking off strap buttons you must have lousy technique or a very athletic stage presence. Consider a breakaway strap, you'll still break your guitar but not at the strap button! I can depend on this guitar to give me certain sounds and tone that no other guitar can give me. On the other hand it does not do everything well so I might want another guitar with me anyway. // 9

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music so I must be categorized as a "pop" musician. The pickups are limited but they are totally appropriate for jazz/funk/soul/pop/country, anything clean and low output. With little sustain and low output, it is a terrific rhythm guitar. The best thing about this guitar is the vibrato. The tailpiece bar rests under the palm and is easily manipulated without grabbing for a trem arm. The direct connection with the strings give it an immediate tactile response. "Shimmering" chords will become second nature. This adds to it's overall distinctiveness. The Mustang doesn't do everything well but it's unique character cannot be matched by any other guitar out there. You will either love it or hate it. I love it! // 10

Mustang Reviewed by: Dendar, on november 09, 2012

Features: The model Mustang I use is a '65 22 thin frets, rosewood fretboard, solid top, somewhat Strat bodystyle has pretty good fret reachability, one tone knob (I prefer two), volume, 3-way selector, two single coil pickups. Non-locking tuners, but the metalheads are really durable and hold a tune very well. // 8

Sound: Great tone, the only reason I don't like it just a tiny bit is because with only one control knob, there isn't as much control. I play light rock to heavy stuff while I'm messing around and it never fails to please. I use a Park amp, pretty much a cheap Marshal. I use delays, fuzz, phaze, muff with any of these it sounds great. The guitar can make anywhere from crazy drop D metal tunes to smooth delayed Pink Floyd style playing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action's great, not the best but really tight, it's got a real fast feel. The pickups on it give great sound, but it could be better. There were no flaws in it, Fender prides itself in quality. Altogether, it's got a great action, but it could be better. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's lasted over 30 years of playing, I'm sure a gig would be no problem. The hardware hasn't shown any sign of corosion or anything great stuff. I always use this guitar without a backup at gigs I play with my garage band. The finish only wore off on the back because of a major fall it took, it was a sad day. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic rock, it fits to a T. I've been playing for years, I've owned everything from Strats to Juniors. I've had no problems with this guitar overall, it's a great guitar and for 700 dollars it's a must-have. If this was stolen or lost (somehow) I would buy another guitar but only because 700 bucks is hard to find kickin' around. // 9

Mustang Reviewed by: thetobarmethod, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Local Pawn Shop

Features: First off my Mustang is a reissue model. Non-original. All the main things that actually matter are as followed: 22 frets-jumbo, a 24.5 scale, rosewood fingerboard on 1 piece maple, Daphne blue w/white pearlloid pickgaurd, body of poplar(weird right?),offset contour body, V and T knobs, has a switch for each PU, old retro style switches, fenders "dynamic vibrato" bridge(sucks ass) passive PUs, non-locking tuners, SS PU conviguration. // 7

Sound: I play mostly Alternative rock/metal and require a very thick, powerfull sound, with plenty of tone and sustain. A Baritone like richness, and play no highr than Drop C.I play through a basic RX120dhs Randall setup w/ a DigiTech rp500 for effects. Noisy if loud, bright as to be expected with a fender, and isnt versatile at all. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Only basic info: bought used, setup nice doesn't f--k up much, can't keep tuning, bridge is nice, only issue cosmetically are the switch locations, they scrape the crap out of my wrists, and it hurts like a bitch after awhile. Finish is FANTASTIC though! // 8

Reliability & Durability: Everything is pretty good and reliable but its pretty noisy. // 8

Overall Impression: Ill just say that it doesn't fit any type of heavy style unless u change the PUs in it and keep it in tune. Also up routing the vibrato would really help it. I wished that I would have bought the American Strat there instead. You might as well buy a Jazzmaster/Jaguar instead, you get more out of it, and they overall look better.Great for clean playing, or bluesy. Any kind of Jangle shit or light overdrive is great. Jazz needs both PUs active for anything warm, and even then, I would change to a Humbucker. Don't let my criticism bring down your expectatins if you wanna buy it, it's great, but I would suggest buying a different Fender if you have the money for a new or old Mustang. Get an old Strat or Tele. // 9

Purchased from: Sweetwater

Features: Im actually reviewing the Kurt Cobain Mustang in Sonic Blue. It was made in Japan in the same factory as Kurts actual Mustangs he got made for him. It has 22 Vintage frets with a rosewood fretboard and a maple neck. Its an Alder body, not poplar like the 65' re-issues. The finish is superb and the colour is awesome! It has your typical Fender Dynamic Vibrato featured on most Mustangs nowadays. Ive only used it a few times seeing as i have only had it a week and with the new strings it sends it straight out of tune. It also has a Fender designed tune-o-matic bridge for more stable tuning and it has the Vintage tuners to match. Electronic wise it has a Seymour Duncan JB humbucker in the bridge and a Mustang Single coil in the neck. it has recessed slider so when your strumming hard it is harder to hit them and shut the whole guitar down by accident.. // 10

Sound: I play alot of Grunge, Punk, Rock, Metal etc and this guitar is very versatile. I'm still tweaking my pedals and amps to get the perfect tone for it but the humbucker matched with a single coil gives you the best of both worlds! Its nice and heavy when playing on the humbucker and nice and twangy when using the neck pick up! As with most single coils, it gets really noisy if you run it with heavy distortion but it handles slight overdrive really well, suiting it for bluesy playing and even some classic rock! Im running it through a Randall RG75G3 with a DigiTech RP-55 and a Boss OS-2, but seeing as i have only had it for just under a week, i havent found my favorite tone for it yet // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When i got the guitar out of the box, it was perfectly set up (even though it had come half way across the world to Australia from the USA) I needed to raise the neck pick up a tad just to get the volume nearly the same as the humbucker, which i cant see as being possible considering a single coils output is a bit less than that of a humbucker, but ive got it relatively close to even. The action was nice and low and it plays very fast because of the short scale neck (24"). Nothing was loose when i received it and there was not an imperfection or scratch anywhere to be found! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't been in a band for ages but if i did start gigging in one, this guitar could defiantly stand up to the job! The hardware is all top notch, but as with all my guitars, i prefer strap locks over stock strap buttons, just to be on the safe side. It can definitely be used without a back up but i always take another guitar, seeing as i have a guitar more geared for metal loaded with EMG's. It seems like it has a nice thick finish and i plan on wearing through it as i dont plan on selling it any time soon! // 10

Overall Impression: For my styles of music, this is a perfect match. Im a huge fan of Grunge music, and in particular Nirvana, so it was a pretty obvious choice. Ive been playing for nearly 5 years and this is my first Fender and im quite happy with it, i plan on getting more Fender guitars further down the track. It there is one thing this guitar had, it would had to have had a case come with it. When i ordered it they had no cases instock to fit it so i just got them to triple box it with extra padding and it made it here fine. I just dont like the fact that Fender Australia stung me $240 for a case! if this thing was stolen, i'd find the guy who took it, and hit him on the head with the butt end like Kurt did at one show, except he wont be swinging back at me. If it broke down on me, id either get it repaired or replace it for sure! Ive never played any other Mustangs so i cant really compare it to the re-issues or the vintages ones, but id probably love all Mustangs because of this one! I wish it also had standard Fender tuners as the Vintage ones aren't as easy to fine tune with! This guitar is definitely worth the money and its a very versatile axe! // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Pawn Shop Mustang Special 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/01/2014