Pawn Shop Mustang Special Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Pawn Shop Mustang Special
My overall impressions of this guitar are very very good. It can do every style of song I want and it feels fantastic to play. It's really easy to play as well because of the size of the thing.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 9.2
 9.4
reviews (2) pictures (3) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Pawn Shop Mustang Special Reviewed by: BigSmokeDawg, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Real Time Music

Features: The Fender Pawn Shop series of guitars are designed to be something someone would've knocked up in their she'd using parts from various guitars. My Mustang was made sometime in 2011 in Japan. It's got 22 Medium Jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard, 24" scale length, Alder body, 60's "C" Shape bolt-on Maple neck, two Enforcer humbuckers (I'll come back to these later) and a synthetic bone nut. Aside from the short scale length, the main feature of this guitar though is the really awesome coil splitting function. Basically, above both pickups are two small three-way switches. In the rear position, the pickup uses the rear coil. In the forward position, the front coil is user. In the middle, the whole humbucker is used. Both pickups can be mixed with the 3 way toggle switch to allow for 18 different combinations. My particular Mustang is in the spectacular Candy Apple Red finish (The other available finish being Blue). Unlike the original Mustang, this model features a hardtail, string-thru bridge as opposed to the tremolo system. The guitar is also shipped in a Fender Deluxe Gig Bag. // 9

Sound: The coil splitting means that the Mustang can handle pretty much everything I throw at it especially Rock/overdriven stuff like Guns N Roses, Nirvana and Foo Fighters. The bright single coil mode really makes cleans shine, and it adds a lot of bite to the already crunchy overdriven tone. It can even, to my surprise, do metal. I doubt it'd handle the really heavily down tuned stuff, but it can easily chug out some Metallica and Megadeth riffs if you get the amp set up properly. It sounds absolutely amazing through my Peavey Vypyr 30 once I got the settings perfected. My only issue is that, at times, the guitar can sound a little too bright. However, I think this is down to my setup and playing as opposed to the guitar itself. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The 24" scale length put me off at first as the guitar was fitted with 9 gauge strings on in the shop. It was terrible and it felt like I was hitting rubber bands. But with the 11s on, it was like playing a totally different guitar. The action is exactly how I like it, and were no issues with the guitar out of the factory that I know of. My only issue was of course the short scale length in combination with the light strings, so to me, the guitar would've been unplayable out of the box. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm pretty much certain this guitar would live up to playing live. It's a Fender and it's built like a tank. If I ever get up to playing a gig, I'd probably take this guitar on its own. I'm not really sure how touch the finish is as I've not had it long enough to give it some real wear. It's survived a few knocks on my desk and things in the time I've had it though, but I don't think it'd take being smashed into a stage. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impressions of this guitar are very very good however. I've only been playing a year and a half, so I still have a lot to learn about playing, and what makes a good guitar. Although at this point in time, I really do love the Mustang. It can do every style of song I want and it feels fantastic to play. It's really easy to play as well because of the size of the thing. I compared this guitar to a Classic Vibe Squier Strat and a MIM Telecaster. They both sounded great, but the pickup verity of the Mustang just made it Shine to me. If it was lost/stolen I'd certainly get it again if I had the money to do so. It's a great, slightly quirky guitar, and I absolutely love it. Apologies if I've not covered absolutely everything. I've never written a review before for guitar, but I felt like putting one up for this guitar as no one else has written one. // 9

Pawn Shop Mustang Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: GAK

Features: My Mustang was made in Japan in 2011, its got 22 medium jumbo frets with the Strat style bridge and string through body. I got mine in the Lake Placid Blue and it really looks great on stage with the chrome covered enforcer humbuckers. It has a 3 way selector switch and 2 humbucker splitting switches. It came with a pretty nice Fender gig bag but I have given it the hard case it deserves. // 9

Sound: I really cannot fault this guitar tonal wise. I bought it because I also play a Fender Jag and I was looking for a bit more beef for some songs so I added this to my arsenal and it fits the bill perfectly. I have been playing for 6 years and this is the best guitar I have ever owned/played. I recently played a Kurt Cobain Jaguar with a view to buy it but honestly therer was no point because this Mustang is superior. I play ska, reggae, rock, mellow, funk through my pedal board and a Bugera 333-212 valve and it sounds absolutely top notch. Its not noisy, its not too quite, no squealing or anything its just a joy to play. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It came very well set up, all I did was change the strings to a heavier gauge and made some minor changes to the intonation just for peace of mind but I can honestly say this guitar (as is the case with most Japan made Fenders) is built fantastically. The neck is absolutely superb and plays like butter. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have played live with my Mustang and it was no problem. I would feel fine using it without a backup but as everyone should no you can't rely %100 on any piece of equipment because you never know. The finish seems lovely and I think its going to age really well. The ONLY problem I can imagine is the 3 way selector feels a bit flimsy to me but I have had it for 6 months and it has yet to go wrong. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for me and I can see no reason why every guitarist shouldn't have one of these. It has the great offset body looks, humbuckers with great sounding single coils at the flick of a switch. Also its really light (but not in a cheap way) and it really is a joy to play. Because of the shot scale neck you can get all kinds of nice sounds with bends etc. If mind was stolen or lost I would %100 replace it with another, I have played lots of guitars and I can think of none which I felt better to play. Go out and get yourself one, you won't regret it. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Frontman 212R 100W 8.2 Guitar Amplifiers 04/22/2014