Squier Affinity Strat Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Squier Affinity Strat
My model is in Bullet Black, 22 frets, rosewood neck with hardwood body, with tremolo, 1 volume + 2 tone controls and a 5-way selector switch.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
reviews (13) pictures (8) 46 comments vote for this gear:
Squier Affinity Strat Reviewed by: AJH0014, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: A$ 319

Purchased from: Guitar Factory Penrith

Features: 2011, chinese strat. 21 Vintage frets, thin neck c profile. solid alder body... thin like the SG. Maple neck with thin maple fretboard. Metalic Red gloss finish with satin neck, gold Squier logo with black "By FENDER". Bridge small block with solid chrome saddles, through body strings, trelomo. 3x passive single coil pickups, with single ply white pickguard ("57" 8 screw configuration). Non locking generic machine heads, chrome. Accessories, cardboard box, trelomo arm, allen keys 1 for truss rod and one for height of action. Basically a Standard stratocaster.. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds surprisingly good, I was ver surprised with the pickups, especially comparing them to the pickups in my Australian made guitar, made by a local luther. These P/Us are great and very reasonable for the price paid. They are quiet with some hum, but not much. No scream like other 2dollar pickups. The guitar has a rich bluesy sound and has a country twang in Bridge position. The tone nobs actually work! No issues, they don't scratch. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came directly from the Fender factory in CN to the guitar shop. I was going to buy a floor model to modify, but it had a few scratches and chips around the neck pocket. so the guys ordered one in for me and gave me an $80 discount for my trouble, the also set up the action, intonation, and height of the pickups. The finish is perfect. There are no floors, and even birds eyes in the neck. There is no fret buzz from the frets and the neck is silky smooth. So to conclude everything is perfect. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar like all decent guitars, if looked after and serviced regularly will last live playing. Most of the hardware will need changing because on the cheaper guitars the money you save is on the hardware, for example cheap pickups, tuners, bridge, strings, string trees, and buttons, can be the difference of about $200-400 dollars depending on brand and country of origin. After this guitar is modded I feel this guitar will be dependable. The finish is amazing, and comparing it to a Mexican Stratocaster I actually found it to be equal if not better. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly blues, to Hard blues, some hendrix and a little bit of every thing. This guitar is great for me because it is thin, and is not as fragile as my Gibson SG, yet still has the thin body which I love about it. I have been playing for about 5 years, I have a Gibson SG, a Cole Clark Culprit (TELE), Custom Luther made guitar, a Marshall 50watt valve state Fender frontman, Fender supersonic stack, and a few pedals. I brought this guitar as something to modify, and to play in places where it is not a good idea to bring/use a very expensive nitro lacquered guitar that is very, very easy to scratch, dent or damage the instrument. If it was lost, or stolen of-course I would buy another one they are so freaking cheap and great value for money. I was going to buy a Mexican Fender but I did not like the feel of it, I love the feel of this guitar. The only things I hate are the small things, like having to replace all the hardware with better more cosmetically attractive hardware instead of the cheap and nasty stuff that comes stock. I would compare this guitar to a mexican Standard stratocaster. The only thing I wish it had was a heavy block rather than the narrow one it has now because it wont be easy getting a massive solid block to fit in the thin body. // 7

Price paid: C$ 180

Purchased from: Steve's Music Store

Features: I'm not sure what year it was made in, but I know it was made in China. (These days, most things are, but it's fine!) I am a beginner, so this is my opinion. The features, I copied from the site: - Body: Alder - Neck: Maple, C-Shape, (Polyurethane Finish) - Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5" Radius (241 mm) - No. Of Frets: 21 Medium Jumbo - Pickups: 2 Single-Coil Pickups (Neck/Mid), 1 Humbucking Pickup (Bridge) - Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Middle Pickup) - Machine Heads: Standard Die-Cast Tuners - Hardware: Chrome - Pickguard: 1-Ply White (06), - Unique Features: Large Headstock 60s Style Headstock, - Strings: Fender Super 250L, (.009 to.042) Nickel Plated Steel, P/N 073-0250-003 It came with nothing but 10 picks (courtesy of the store), some adjustment tools, and the whammy bar which I can't seem to put on. // 8

Sound: I have no CURRENT style, but with the stuff I've tested out, it sounds nice. I picked up a Roland Cube 20XL as my amp, and together, they sound great! With the 5 different pickup combinations, and all the stuff on the amp, I'm happy. The acoustic simulator sounds great, the OD, and metal modes sound amazing. The EQ really changes it, and I've been able so far to get the following sounds: Classic, country, rock, metal, heavy metal etc. I hear NO fret buzz whatsoever. The sound on the JC clean channel is nice too. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is quite small, which is nice for a beginner. Pickups: 2 Single-Coil Pickups (Neck/Mid), 1 Humbucking Pickup (Bridge). I see no flaws. I showed my first and new guitar off to quite a few people and the comment overall is that it seems good wood was used, and the neck is amazing, as the truss rod is fine. Only problem I have (my possible OCD) is that the pick-guard has a few scratches and it's less than a week old, but I use it often, so it may be my fault. The guitar was all set up on purchase. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have no judgement about the live playing, but I'd use at as it feels nice to me. As I said, I'm still a beginner, so for now, I can't judge TOO much. The buttons are holding fine with my beautiful leather Beatles strap, but I have read reviews that they aren't great, so it worries me. I think the finish wears off, but I'm planning to clean it soon. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said, I want to play rock and heavy rock, and possibly some jazz and blues, and it seems like the guitar can do the job. I have been practicing for about 2-3 months, but mostly on an acoustic. I'd go to my best friend's house and end up practicing with her dad on his guitar. I have no current problems. If it were stolen and I had cash, I'd probably go for it, as it wasn't so expensive. I compared it to a Les Paul Standard 100 (Epiphone), an Ibanez GIA (I think) and a local brand called Godin. This was, I think the lightest, the action is the best, and it was the cheapest. It also had the most pickups. I was debating ultimately between this, and the Epiphone. I also have a padded bag, with many compartments, my Beatles strap, headphones not to piss everybody off, my Roland Cube 20XL and some picks! I am quite happy. // 9

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I'm not sure about the year but the one I have was made in China. 21 jumbo frets-(great action). All maple. Another good thing about this guitar is that it is loud compared to some electrics while unplugged. I have paid a couple hundred or more for lesser guitars. // 8

Sound: The guitar I have was made in China and I don't care what anyone says the particular guitar that I have is worthy of the Fender name. I have been playing for years but am on a tight budget and took a chance on this guitar and am glad I did. It sounds good and has no noise with a good cable, and even though I'll probobly Switch pickups eventually I'm in no rush, the sound is fine. It stays in tune well also. The only problem one may have is if they play metal or use a lot of distortion. I haven't looked to see if you can fit a humbucker in this guitar but if you can you would probobly need to if you use a lot of distortion, needless to say, but the action is good with power cords. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is great, easy and smooth. I had a Korean Strat before this that played well but was wore out. I actually tryed a couple of Squires in a store and one had good action and the other didn't at all but as far as my particular guitar, it's all I could hope for in terms of action. It has Jumbo frets that play smooth and there is no problems with the neck at all, and I'm well pleased with the action. It didn't have a wammy bar but without a Floyd Rose locking system any wammy is going to knock the strings out anyway. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't think anything against using this guitar live, it's not a ventage Less Pal but it didn't cost a $grand$ either and there is simply nothing wrong with this guitar. I would be pleased with it if I had payed over a couple hundred for it, and I've been playing for years but always on a tight budget. // 8

Overall Impression: I am well pleased with this guitar and am not a beguinner. You can spend much more on a lesser guitar. I'm sure I'll get a better one eventually but their is simply nothing wrong with this one. I had been worried over some of the reviews (while waiting on it to arrive)that I had read and all Squires may not be this quality and it is always best to try one before you buy it, but over all this particular guitar is worthy of the Fender name. Their is nothing about it that can't be fixed or upgraded. I would probobobly get better pickups and I have READ that some of the nobs and ect aren't relaiable in the long term but all that can be replaced if there is ever any problem. A+! One thing I didn't do was to compare Squire reviews with where they are made, at least this one, being made in China is quality. // 10

Squier Affinity Strat Reviewed by: mity88, on november 09, 2012

Features: I got my '03 Squier from a second hand store in South Africa, I paid R500 for it, which is nothing! It's a real nice sunburst with white pickups and pickguard. // 9

Sound: Being my first electric guitar, this one took some punishment and it always put out the sounds I was expecting from an electric, maybe its not too heavy, but its quite versatile with the 5 way pickup switch. I use a Zoom 505ii with it and it pretty much can give me any sound I need. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Being second hand I got the action adjusted and lifted the pickups because they were really low. I also had to open the back to tighten up the volume and tone knobs. It had a few nicks in the body, but it seems she can take some knocking around because the finish is really good! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well, it has withstood thousands of hours of playing in my room, so I believe it would be great for live playing, the hardware will last as long as you don't swim with it! I would depend on this guitar at a live gig, its very durable and reliable. The finish? Well, even if it did start thin or start wearing off I wouldn't really care much, it'll just add character! // 10

Overall Impression: Being an entry level guitar, I'm very impressed with it, no, I wouldn't buy another Squier Strat if this one got stolen, but I sure would buy another Fender strat! Simply put, I love this guitar! // 10

Squier Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Ravenix, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Windows Newcastle

Features: My model is in Bullet Black (least I think that's the name of the finish), 22 frets, rosewood neck with hardwood body, with tremolo, 1 volume + 2 tone controls and a 5-way selector switch. Came with a 15G 'Frontman' amp that includes a gain Drive which is easily cativated by pressing a button. // 10

Sound: I play metal, mostly, and while this Strat isn't very metal-looking, it actually has quite a nice sound and you can get some pretty meaty riffs out of it with the gain Drive on the amp. Yes, you do get a lot of noise at the best of times (ESP. with gain on), which can be expected from the single coils, and it does annoy me a bit, but I can still play Metallica on it without it sounding muddy or tinny. W/o gain, the guitar has a nice bright sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, it IS Taiwanese, and made in a factory, and my Dad had to tighten the cable jack when I got it... It is an Affinity model however, so its actually pretty good quality compared to other 'beginner' models. Good action, not too light, not too heavy. In fact it could do with being a bit heavier tbh cause most other guitars are a bit hard on my fingers after being so accustomed to this one! The tremolo is a stickling point though. All it really does is whack the guitar out of tune. I hardtailed mine again, it got so irritating (its hardtailed in the factory), and I don't use it often. The G string has a tendency to go out of tune as well, even without the tremolo. Look past that, and you actually have quite a nice guitar, ESP. for the price. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guy that said that his Strat 'broke in half', well, you must have hit it pretty hard. I've had mine about 3-4 years, its been(accidentally) dropped, twatted, thunked and whacked off all manner of walls, doors etc, and all it has is a few tiny dents/chips in the paint. Mind, I've never dropped it in a way that could cause serious damage. Maybe he should just take better care of his guitar?...But yeah, the hardware's all been solid so far, almost good as new tbh, and the finish is fine, you can just see faint little scratches off the pick etc when you turn it to the light... It's a hardy bugger! Surprisingly good for gigs, apart from the noise from the single coils. // 8

Overall Impression: A lot of people don't like this guitar. A certain ex friend/boyfriend of mine said it sucked and that his 'real' high-end Strat from Florida was so much better. Yeah, that high-end guitar probably is better, in fact I hope it would be tbh, but this guitar is actually very, very good value. It does what I need it to, in that it makes a good noise, is playable and looks quite nice too. It's good for learning on, which is what I initially got it for, and it's ok for gigs too. No, its not a super-special awesome custom or a high end metal death machine, but its actually easy to customise (you just have to be wary of the fact that 'import' Squiers- i.e. Chinese, Taiwanese- have slightly diff. dimensions to American ones, so be careful when ordering new parts!). I also like the fact that the serial number's on the headstock so I can write it down in case it gets stolen. And I would actually be quite sad if this guitar was stolen, because it's a good guitar. Not posh, not top-of-the-range, but good for what it is. And come on, a decent little-bit-higher-than-entry-level guitar like this with an amp too... you can't grumble, really. // 9

Squier Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: It has a laminated top, the neck is a beautiful, dark, burnt red maple. It has a bright red satin finish. Srat body, obviously. 5 way selector. 2 tone adjusters. // 7

Sound: I play whatever the hell I think sounds good. Lately alot of 90's grunge some newer and older metal, reggae, and always punk. The sound is extremely decent for the money. The guitar has an extremely bright poppy loud sound when on the clean channel. The distortion is very good, BUT it depends on your style. For me it was perfect considering I play the kind of music that does not require an articulated sound board.If you play a type of music that needs a very distinct sound than this guitar would be about 3 notches above mediocre. This guitar is basically my baby and I would never sell it. Bottom line: its a AMAZING guitar for the money, BUT you will want a nicer, more, advanced guitar, if you will, as you progress musically.Its a beginner guitar, but not only for beginners. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS GUITAR I GUARANTEE IT. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I took this guitar right out of the box and started shredding. It was in perfect condition for playing. The pickups will sound absolutely great on the clean channel of your amp, distortion also. I am thinking about changing out the pickups, only because I've been using this guitar for about 3 years now. The guitar contained no flaws, for the first 2 years. Afterwards, due to season changes, the neck started to warp ever so slightly. All you need to get this fixed is show it to your local geeeetar center or music store, they'll fix it right up. As far as action goes from the new state... Ummm preety bad not going to lie. BUT it is adjustable, thank God. I have a red finish and it looks absolutely beautiful in my opinion. This is a great guitar to have if your looking to make something yours, if you know what I mean(stickers, drawings, etc.) I'm sure you'll love it enough to call it your baby. (; // 9

Reliability & Durability: This sucker is indestructible, I can't count the amount of times I have bumped it on dressers, walls, (insert blunt, hard object here). It WILL hold up. I have played with it live 4 times with my band...no problems whatsoever. I would totally trust this guitar at any gig, I know I'm no gig guru, but considering I've had band practice 3+ times a week for 7 months and it holds up, I wouldn't be worried. The strap buttons have yet to fail me. The finish hasn't scratched, after soo much wear. I really do love this guitar despite its simplicity to most players. // 10

Overall Impression: I play whatever. Literally. I play metal, punk, reggae, acoustic, rock, alternative, indie, ska, grunge etc. etc. etc. and this guitar is almost perfect with every genre, the only one I would worry about would be Acoustic playing, but you didn't buy an electric for that now did you? I have been playing for about 3 years now, of course I desire another guitar but this sucker suits me fine at the moment. (actually I'm about to purchase either a Schecter or Ibanez rg120) If this guitar was stolen, I would cry, and I'm totally serious hahaha. I would immediately buy another one. The one and only con about this guitar would be the action/intonation/height of your strings from the neck... LOL. They are getting much too far from the neck. Everything else is totally awesome. Maybe its just me, but I love this guitar, as I love all my guitars, but this one the most. One thing I wish it had was the word "Fender" instead of "Squire" in Fender font on the head. Hahaha. I don't know I just feel like a poser when walking into music stores with it. (; this guitar has a beginners reputation, but I believe its a suitable guitar for at least an above mediocre guitar player. Damn, finally finished with this review. Ha. Took forever. // 10

Squier Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: It was a 2008 model wich I bought in 2009. It was brand new and it was made in China. The top is very solid, when it comes out of the box, the decorating plate is covered with a plastic bag wich I removed easily without unscrewing the plate. The neck wood was Mahogany wich i dont like the color ( the best is maple!) The body style was stratocaster. The only thing that was an original thing that you could find on a real Stratocaster (standard etc...) was the volume/tone buttons. The pickups were no-named so i dont know whats the quality. There were some accessories included like a tuner (fender),gig bag (fender),a little 15 watts amplifier (bullet 150), a high quality cable (fender) and the guy from the shop gave us a hook. // 8

Sound: My style is metal because i play a lot of Iron Maiden I was using a Marshall stack. Quality sound when played on a good amplifier I found it hard to make some harmonics // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was in very good shape The pickups were a little slack All the things were setted up. Just needed to verify the sonority // 8

Reliability & Durability: You can play it live if you want i did some shows with it. All is solid. The only thing you have to worry about is to not break the strings XD // 10

Overall Impression: I will play some iron maiden XD I have played guitar for 6 years i got a plenty of other guitars because i bought this one for my son. Thats it very good guitar! // 9

Squier Affinity Strat Reviewed by: FenderJunkie59, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Local music store

Features: I own a Cort model Affinity series Squier Stratocaster. It was crafted in Indonesia as 2003 model. This guitar has: contoured body, maple neck with 21 medium-jumbo frets, string-thru body Standard tremolo unit, laminated top with a solid black finish, white pick-guard, custom .9 -.52 gauge Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings, 5-way selector switch, 2 tone knobs, 1 volume knob and 3 single coil pickups. // 8

Sound: I play a variety of styles from metalcore to finger-style Acoustic work. The broad range of tone that you can get from this guitar is amazing, saying that the pickups are only single coil. It can handle heavy riffs as played in metalcore or hardcore. For Acoustic peices, the guitar's clean channel is bright and warm toned. I have to use a pedal to get very distorted riffs down, however it can get noisy with the gain set about 9, using bridge pickup. The twang of the clean channel is very exceptional for Acoustic songs with natural reverb and very rich sound given from the bridge pickup. Shredding has relatively well quality without extra fret noise when action is set low. The downside is the number of frets. Bending is clean and very easy, you can bend from 1/2 step to 1.5 step with ease. Stays in tune for the most part. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I have altered the action to 3mm because it was set too high for me and I have changed the strings. The pickups were set 2mm from pole piece to bottom of string and haven't been changed. I have set G and B strings 1 mm higher to avoid fretting out and bridge was properly set. The only flaws were a few nicks and scratches to the body and back neck plate. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would most definitely use this guitar in a gig and it is very durable. I've dropped it aleast 4 times and no signs of damage have yet to appear. The hardware is good quality as far as sound and maintenance for stock parts. The strap buttons have yet to fail me seeing as this being the only guitar I use, I would definitely recommend it from novice to seasoned players. My friend offered to trade his Schecter Omen for it... Until he realized what he was doing lol. // 9

Overall Impression: I would have to say that this guitar matches all of my music styles very well. I would like to have humbucking coils for the bridge pickup but that's only because it doesn't deliver the FULL punch for rhythm in the metalcore genre. I have been playing for a year as of December 24, 2010. If it were stolen I would definitely buy it again because of the low price of this great guitar. My favorite feature is switching between the bridge and lead pickups to play very high distorted, clean Slash style solos. I hate that it doesn't have any more frets. I used to hate Fender until I found this guitar. Now I absolutely love it. Other than that it's a very well crafted guitar. // 9

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Indonsian made,Rosewood neck,Alder body,Black finish. Face it these are all the same.pick a color 3 single coil p/u Standard tremelo.Remember this a cheap guitar,so all the parts are cheap,but I think the tuners and bridge are fine. The truss rod worked fine and the frets were set fairly well,alittle roygh at the neck edge but hey. // 7

Sound: The p/u are not fenders best,but not thier worst. Can get the classic Strat sounds especially when played clean. Tough to coax anything fat out of it.I have heard people say they don't stay in tune.This one stays in tune fine even when using tremlo. Proper set up is a wonderful thing!Kind of noisy,but Nature of the Beast with cheap single coil p/u s // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I had to adjust the truss rod due to decent front bend,then set string ht and intonation.However once that was done (a very easy job). Install new strings treat fret board with pure lemon oil (was really dry and dirty).The guitar came alive.I am not saying it can hold its own against a USA fender,but surely as good as any Mexican or Japanese product.The 5 rating is as recived,7 after proper set up. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last me a good long time.I am a Les Paul player who needed a Strat for several songs but didn't want to spend alot.At under 80.00 on ebay I am very pleased.I may just replace all the electrics as not only the p/u are not that great but the "tone controls do almost nothing and they and the selector Switch are pretty cheap.(80.00 remember?) // 7

Overall Impression: I am giving an overall rating of 7 based on value.Comparing it to axes of much greater cost and quality would certainly lower the rating,but I would say I am quite pleased I took a chance on this. If it were stolen I wouldn't cry,I would just go on ebay and get another and get my tools out again.If you think about buying new @ retail (180.00) be sure the store sets it up for you.They are not worth buying and then paying another 50.00 for set up later. // 7

Purchased from: argos.co.uk

Features: Model Name Strat (Maple) (Special Edition) Model Number 031-0603-(503) Series Affinity Series Colors (503) 2-Color Sunburst, (Polyurethane Finish) Body Alder Neck Maple Fingerboard Maple, 9.5 Radius (241 mm) No. of Frets 21 Medium Jumbo Pickups 3 Single-Coil Pickups Controls Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Middle Pickup) Pickup Switching 5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup Position 3. Middle Pickup Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup Position 5. Neck Pickup Bridge Synchronous Tremolo Machine Heads Standard Die-Cast Tuners Hardware Chrome Pickguard 1-Ply White Scale Length 25.5 (648 mm) Width at Nut 1.61 (40.9 mm) Unique Features Large Headstock 60s Style Headstock, White Plastic Parts, Black Silkscreen Logo, Dot Position Inlays Strings Fender Super 250L, (.009 to .042) Nickel Plated Steel p/n 073-0250-003 // 10

Sound: It suits my music style which is rock and country. I use a Fender Frontman 15G 30watt amp. It has a bright sound and can make a massive variety of sounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up very well in the factory. The pickups were great and this guitar has no flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is the most reliable guitar that I have. Its also very durable and I could depend on it any time any where. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and country music and it is a very good match. I have been playing it for over 4 years and it still sounds just as great as when I first had it. // 10

Squier Affinity Strat Reviewed by: lynchy4664, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Local music store

Features: - 21 frets - Solid-Top - Rosewood - Satin - Strat - Volume, two Tone, 5-way selector - strap cable, tools Amp 15g front man (100 euro) The Bridge is a fairly Standard Bridge im guessing its a Tele-style bridge. Besides the necessities that are presumed in any starter pack it also had a auto tuner. // 7

Sound: Has a really great variety it can go from soft blues to hard rock iv noticed without use of effects its difficult to reach the higher pitch/tone of a typical metal sound. Right now I am only using a Standard cheap amp I got for 100 euro its a 15G Fender Frontman amp nothing spectacular but it gets the job done. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was setup in the show I bought it but there was still a buzz from the low e-string. Its hard to say about the pickups I'm not sure if they were factory or shop adjusted. There were no flaws at all for the first few weeks its a good starter guitar but not a durable guitar. The finish was nice mine is the same as the review image. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have a lot of problems with its Reliability & Durability, after the first few months my frets which were not stainless steel began to wear leaving me with a close to fork on a plate sound whenever I chose to bend a few notes. Not only that but it also created more friction making it harder to bend. After deboxing the guitar and seting up the amp I went to tune the guitar using the included auto tuner when putting in the battery the wire ripped I was able to get a new one at no cost but be wary they are very flimsy. My strap tore fairly quick too despite the lack of malice I showed it. And more recently my high e-string snapped, this was the weirdest thing since I was just doing warm up scales when I touched the 11th fret it snapped exactly where I touched I couldn't understand it but I guess it was the final bit of tension that it needed. // 5

Overall Impression: A realy good guitar to start off with just don't expect it to last for years without any repairs. As I said its a starter guitar so no I would not rebuy it if it were lost/stolen I would upgrade most likely to an Ibanez RG or a Gibson SG. I want to give this guitar an overall impression of 8 but because of the problems I have had with its hardware I'm going to give it a 7 however it is a guitar I would recommend for anybody thinking of starting off in guitar. // 7

Squier Affinity Strat Reviewed by: oldeskoolmann, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: private sale

Features: I have a 1999 Squire Strat, hand crafted in Indonesia. It has twenty-one frets, and three single coil pick-ups. The body is alder, BTW, the classic fenders are also made of alder. This is a string thru body, the color is a deep rich baltic blue. I bought an old school Fender tweed hard case. // 10

Sound: I play rock and blues. I have a champ 15, serial number 0000052. This amp rocks. I have no problems with the noise. Also, the five way works great, as well as the tones and volume. As most of people frown on this guitar, I must of lucked-out, as this guitar has a healthy SNARL. I don't plan to change anything on this axe. I did put a set of strap locks. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Again, being this guitar was owned by a gal who NEVER played it.there are about three scratches on the pick-guard. I cannot find anything wrong with this axe. I have put new Martin strings on it. The three single coil pick-ups are righteous. I've played my Squier jamming with others, and she keeps up with my buddies MIA. I've had a couple guys play this guitar, and they're blown away. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I no longer play in a band however, I'd have NO PROBLEM playing a live gig with this guitar, with NO BACK-UP. The baltic blue finish pops on this guitar. I'm not a fan of the worn down look, I polish this with the polish trick. Gives a healthy shine. I've put a set of strap locks on her, aside from strings, I can't see replacing anything else. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm very lucky in buying this particular guitar. I'm an experienced player, with no back up at the present time. I play the Clapton blues, and the Pink Floyd rock. This guitar is just awesome. If someone stole this guitar, I'd find the thief, and get it back. Also, I'd leave a lasting IMPRESSION for the thief. One more thing, to you folks who guzzy-up your Squiers with Fender stamped necks, and new three ply pick guards, I have no problem with owning this guitar, and I'll never take the Squier name off it. This guitar has much better sound than most MIM STRATS. // 10

Squier Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: 21 frets, Maple neck and mine is a dark sunburst which looks excellent. Comes with a gig bag, strap, picks, tuner, headphones, all cables needed and a whammmy bar. It also came with a Fender Frontman 15G amp which is cool. Overall pretty good value for money. has a volume knob and 2 tone knobs. 5 way pickup selector. // 8

Sound: well, well it's interesting. my style is heavy and death metal and it plays it nicely. if you put it into the bridge pickup only it sounds bad but every other pickup sounds very good. playing higher notes makes it scream but i play metal without solo's or high notes so it is very good. plays other types brilliantly. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssssss ppppppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrffffffffffffffffffffeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeecccccccccccccccttttttttttttttt when i got it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: very very reliable have had about 11 different concert nights and has coped brilliantly. Has not cut out and it sounded brilliant. I have only had it for a year but it could last another 10 or 15. The plastic film has come off but it is not a worry for me and the amp is indestructible. I have dropped it while carrying and it is still perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: very good. sound is pretty good. played for 1 year and i love it. i play it a total of about 2 hours a week. i would definately buy it again if i lose it or break it but that won't happen. I chose it over everything because it was cheap, sounded great and it came with a lot of things. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Kurt Cobain Jaguar 8.6 Electric Guitars 06/20/2014