Squier Strat Review

7.7
 5.7
reviews (4) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Squier Strat Reviewed by: A0545806, on november 12, 2012

Features: 1982 Fender Squier Stratocaster (made in China): - Rosewood fretboard w/ 22 frets; - Laminated top; - Maple body and neck; - Black satin finishing; - Strat body style; - String-thru body bridge; - Active electronics; - One volume control, two tone controls, 5-way selector; - Three pickups; - Included Fender gig bag, strap, cable, whammy bar, Squier tuner, and SP-10 amp. // 9

Sound: It suits my grunge/punk music style because it's a great guitar to just pick up and start slamming power chords and barre chords on. It's 5-way selector allows me to choose the grungish, treble-y sound I like. I use it with the amp it came with, the SP-10. It is definitely noisy on overdrive, even if the volume knob is on one. However, you can turn it to five or six on your clean/vintage setting before it gets a little too loud. It does produce a very rich sound. It will really make any sounds you really play on it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Honestly, I have no idea about how the set-up was at the factory, but I'll bet it was pretty good and neat because I haven't had a single problem with this guitar. It's in great shape. The pickups were adjusted just fine, obviously; like I said, they really pack a punch on that amp! Properly routed top, yes, properly routed bridge. The guitar contained no flaws and, really, still doesn't (and it's been through a lot). // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure this guitar would withstand live playing, it seems just like any other quality Fender guitar! The hardware not only seems like it would last, it has lasted. The strap buttons are solid; they come a little loose sometimes, but only every once in a while, and all you have to do then is take a screwdriver and give 'em a good twist, and they'll be fine for a long time. I can definitely depend on it and use it at a gig without backup. The finish is good enough to last... trust me. With the kind of music I play, if it wasn't good enough, I would have already stripped the guitar of all finishing! // 9

Overall Impression: I play grunge/punk music, and this is a good match for such music. I have been playing for three years and have received many complements and admiration while playing this guitar. I also own a Fender Squier Classic Acoustic, a HoneyTone Vintage amp, and a NADY CenterStage mic. I have no questions I would have asked. If it were stolen/lost, I would definitely buy one again and have no problem with it (granted, a Fender Jaguar would also be desirable, but if I could only get a Squier, that's cool with me!). I love this guitar because not only does it make a great beginner's guitar (it was my first) but it is just as good as any other Fender mod... Or Gibson or Jackson or Ibanez, if you want to go broader. I only dislike some of the things that came with it that weren't of the best quality: the tuner, the strap, and the cable. You might want to buy a few back-ups of these. However, the guitar and amp themselves are brilliant. My favorite feature is my 5-way selector, which I am constantly fooling around with because of all the genres I play! I kind of wish it had come with a capo, but hey, you can't win 'em all, right?

// 9

Squier Strat Reviewed by: zzxx196, on november 09, 2012

Features: This came with a gig bag, an amplifier, a whammy bar and one cable. The guitar has 21 frets and 3 pickups. I believe it came with 4 picks and an extre spring to make the whammy bar harder to push down. // 8

Sound: it sounds best clean // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: it is all manufactured perfectly // 10

Reliability & Durability: this will stand live playing, it will last, the strap buttons are perfectly screwed on (not loose) // 10

Overall Impression: this is good for rock, i have been playing this for a year about, if it where stolen, i would get the same one :) i love everything about it and hate nothing. // 10

Squier Strat Reviewed by: Kingdommetal, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 80

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: First off, since I bought this guitar used, I don't know what year it was made in. It has 21 frets and it is black/white. It also has three single coils and a whammy bar. I bought the bag, strap, cable, etc all separate. It's an average guitar. Basically you're going to get what you pay for. // 2

Sound: I usually play metal music. I had to buy an amp separate from this guitar and if you play around with it, you can get a decent distorted sound. If you are playing metal, then this guitar is not a good choice because it does not have humbucker pickups which give you a warmer sound. Since this guitar has single coils, it sounds very weak when you are playing metal. It also has a lot of noise which can be cancelled out by using the toggle Switch pickup selector. Also, as another reviewer as said, you have to tune it at least 3 or 4 times before the guitar will stay in tune. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The previous owner obviously didn't care at all about taking care of it. The tuning pegs and the output jack are both loose. There are also very noticeable scratches on the finish. The action is not too high and not too low, but it still causes the frets to buzz. I've had this guitar set-up in the past, but the buzzing unfortunately has come back. The owner obviously didn't care about not throwing the guitar around. This guitar has taken a lot of obvious abuse from careless owners in the past, but it has survived and it still plays what you want. // 1

Reliability & Durability: Since this guitar is used, it would not be reliable for playing live. The strap buttons are very loose and they need to be re-screwed if you are planning on standing up a lot. If I ever did play live, I would use a better quality guitar and have a backup as well. // 2

Overall Impression: In conclusion to this review, if you've been playing for over one year or more, then it time to say good-bye to the cheap quality and upgrade to something actually worth your money. I'm going to be getting a really good quality metal guitar very soon. I tried selling this guitar to the local music store, but they couldn't take it. And I'm not surprised. I guess it will have to go back to the pawn shop or I will hang it up on my wall as a memento. // 10

Squier Strat Reviewed by: A0545806, on november 12, 2012

Overall Impression: I play grunge/punk music, and this is a good match for such music. I have been playing for three years and have received many complements and admiration while playing this guitar. I also own a Fender Squier Classic Acoustic, a HoneyTone Vintage amp, and a NADY CenterStage mic. I have no questions I would have asked. If it were stolen/lost, I would definitely buy one again and have no problem with it (granted, a Fender Jaguar would also be desirable, but if I could only get a Squier, that's cool with me! ). I love this guitar because not only does it make a great beginner's guitar (it was my first) but it is just as good as any other Fender mod... Or Gibson or Jackson or Ibanez, if you want to go broader. I only dislike some of the things that came with it that weren't of the best quality: the tuner, the strap, and the cable. You might want to buy a few back-ups of these. However, the guitar and amp themselves are brilliant. My favorite feature is my 5-way selector, which I am constantly fooling around with because of all the genres I play! I kind of wish it had come with a capo, but hey, you can't win 'em all, right?

// 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 08/01/2014