SRV Stratocaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: SRV Stratocaster
Stevie Ray Vaughan collaborated with Fender to produce a signature Stratocaster guitar shortly before his untimely death in 1990.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 9.6
 9.9
 9.3
reviews (3) pictures (2) 11 comments vote for this gear:
SRV Stratocaster Reviewed by: thejester, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

Features: 2004 American Strat, an early '60s "oval" neck shape, pao ferro fingerboard with jumbo frets, three Fender Texas Special single-coil pickups and 5-way selector, gold-plated hardware and an inverted left-hand Vintage tremolo unit. Also came with a beautiful tweed case. Fender really put together a Strat as close to Stevie's as one could find. Many people would think that the left handed tremolo is wierd but I believe it is way easier to access and use during playing compared to a right handed tremolo. // 10

Sound: I traditionally play blues/rock, blues, or just rock in general and this guitar can do it all. I play through a Marshall 100HDFX head and the 412 half cab. The 5-way selector lets you hit many different tones and styles with the flick of a Switch. I really like the single-coil pickups because I do not have to deal with a crapload of distortion. The Texas Special pickups are wonderful and produce a great tone. This guitar absolutely screams, so bright and so clear. If you want a good blues sound or to sound somewhat like SRV pick this guitar up. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action may seem a little high for some but when I picked up this guitar it felt like it was custom made for me. I have heard some complaints from people with small hands that the neck is too big. I have decently large sized hands and I find no problem with the neck. The finish on this guitar (3-tone Sunburst) is absolutely beautiful. When combined with the gold hardware that Fender put on it this guitar goes from beautiful to stunning. The pickguard with the letters "SRV" enscribed is also a very nice touch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I honestly believe that I would be able to play baseball with the neck of this thing. A very solid guitar and everything on it, IMO, will be able to withstand gigging in any form or fashion. This is my new number one and I would feel totally comfortable doing anything with this guitar. Fender makes quality products and once again I believe this thing would withstand a "Texas Flood." // 10

Overall Impression: As I stated I'm caught up in the blues and rock and this guitar definately suits my style. I also own an Epiphone Standard Les Paul, Ibanez AEF30 acoustic electric, Epiphone EDS-1275 double neck (very fun). Aside from that if this guitar was stolen (because I wouldn't lose it) I would immediately buy another one. Also if you guys can't shell out $1330 all at once go to American Music Supply and you can do 5 easy payments (thats what I'm on). They make it very easy there and you dont need to apply for a stupid card. I hope this review has intrigued you or possibly made you want to get an SRV custom yourself. // 10

SRV Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Standard Strat features: - Solid body Strat - Volume and tone controls - Vintage bridge - Vintage tuners - Tobacco sunburst SRV features: - Three single coil Texas Specials - Left-Hand tremelo - Engraved pickguard - Pao Ferro fret board - Gold-Plated hardware. // 10

Sound: The SRV has a fantastic bright tone, due in part to the overwound Texas Special pickups. It's pure Stratocaster, which makes it fit for just about any form of music. Don't expect instant SRV tone that takes skill from the player. The pickups (typical of single-coil Strats) are kind of weak for metal and are extremely bright for those grunge players out there. So if you fit in either of those categories, you'll probably be adding an extra set to the package later on. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My SRV is among one of the most well-built axes I have ever picked up. This is not a cheap merchadising endeavor you're buying a top-quality guitar. The action is actually much faster than most Standard Strats I've played. This guitar actually excells in everything from speed riffs to slow blues, and has served me at church on top of that. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is where I had to give the guitar a lower rating. The finish has proved in my experience to be very sensitive to scratching. I was sickened the first time I scratched the beautiful tobacco sunburst finish, and I've learned to be extremely careful when placing it in the case. The bridge and tuners are time-proven Fender Vintage, in other words, this axe is made for playing, not just for display. I wouldn't get too wild and crazy on-stage with it, but as far as the hardware is concerned, the SRV is just about stage ready from the box. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly instrumental blues-style music, and thise guitar has served me well for going on 3 years now. As I stated above, aside from a sensitive finish and slightly weak pickups, this is my pride and joy (a little SRV plug there). I play through a Marshall Valvestate 100w and a Fender DSP 150w Stage, and the SRV puts out a wide variety of tones. Throw in a Tube Screamer, some Super Bullets (mine came with 150's), and a Crybaby, you've got a top-of-the-line blues machine. I hope to have at least one SRV in my collection from now on. If you're frequently on stage, however, I would definately recommend going to the Jimmy Vaughan Tex-Mex Strat or maybe a Clapton for that hardcore blues tone. // 10

SRV Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: regent sound studio

Features: Year: 2008 Made: USA Neck: thick oval shape with 21 jumbo frets(the frets are pretty big) Fretboard: pau ferro similar to rosewood The bridge saddles are Vintage along with a beautiful left handed Vintage tremolo system and I have to say having it this way is much easier, just feels like your hand naturally reaches there. The pups in this guitar are absolutely brilliant HOT sounding Texas Special pickups from the custom shop that absolutely scorch. You have one volume two tone controls along with a 5 way pickup selector. The case is a massive bonus an made in USA original Fender case P.S. The neck is a 12 degree radius which is flatter than Vintage which is 7.25 and American Standard at 9.5. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my style perfectly which is Texas blues, blues-rock and a little rock, the pickups perfectly give you that hard hitting twang to hard hitting SRV tone. I think where this guitar really shines is on medium Fender style overdrive settings not so much shred distortion although I have achieved a very good shred tone with this guitar on pickup position 4 (neck and middle). The neck is deep and thick which for me is the perfect feel for those huge bends! This guitar scorches the pickups have a tight bass, big midrange and high treble. Gives you the SRV sound, hit them hard! I would rate at: Treble: 7 Middle: 9 Bass: 6 Output: for single coils higher (there overwound for a HOT sound!) // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was amazing. The action was at the high end of normal/low end of high. Pickups perfectly adjusted and set. Absolutely no flaws. How ever for me this set up was not for me as I like a high action and heavy strings so I had the guitar set up with a 7/64ths action all the way through with 11-50 handmade pure nickel strings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does indeed feel extremely hardy and I believe could withstand gigging. The hardware is very well built and could probably withstand a nuclear blast. Strap stays on no matter what and I would definitely gig this without a backup, it feels extremely well made and sounds it too. The finish is impeccable. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is my pride 'n' joy! If anything happened to it I would go insane and would deffo buy it again. My favorite feature is the neck/feel and sound the feel is beautiful it suits my death grip perfectly. It was a choice between this and a Gibson LP Standard and for me this wiped the floor with the Les, the tone had that ooomph I was looking for, when I picked up this guitar I knew it was the one I got that feeling! Overall for me the perfect guitar! // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Hot Rod DeVille 410 8.6 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014