Standard Fat Strat Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Standard Fat Strat
21 Vintage Style Frets, Alder Body, Maple Neck, Maple fingerboard, Chrome Hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.8
 Features: 8.9
 8.7
 9.1
 8.2
reviews (21) 33 comments vote for this gear:
Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: flyboy959, on november 09, 2012

Features: 2003 Fat Strat, 21 frets, artic white, white pickguard, ash body, rosewood fretboard, strat-style bridge, one humbucker, two single coils, gigbag and strap. // 10

Sound: I play mostly classic rock, and it works great! The humbucker cancels the humming noise out, which makes it good for use with distortion. The single coils work well for clear, non-distorted sounds. I use a Behringer 210 which works really well with it. I also use a death metal pedal. It has a huge variety of sounds. It's great with any music. Any music at all. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Perfect set-up. Action was low, no fret buzz though. I love the way its set up. Pickups were good. To get a clearer sound, though, adjust the middle and neck to be completely level. I prefer the regular settings though, they sound better in my opinion. No flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I will (and have a couple of times) use it without a backup. The hardware doesn't decolorize and is still shiny. The strap buttons are just as good as strap-locks. It's actually a pain in the ass to get them off (not that hard, sorta exagerating whatever). Very dependable. Unless you burn it (like Hendrix), smash agianst your amp(like Hendrix) or hump it (like Hendrix, don't know how it would hurt it but) it'll survive as much live playing as anything. // 10

Overall Impression: Great for all styles of music, from metal to bach or motzurt. I've been playing for 1 1/2 years, and own a mexican regular Strat and a bass. I like this the best, 'cause the white is just f--king beautiful! I love everything about. If someone stole it, I'd find someone else who had one a kill them and steal theirs. Or just buy another one. Whatever works. I do wish it had a different humbucker (i.e. Dimebucker is what I would like) and Lacesensor pickups, though it might be a bit pricey. // 10

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: JimmyPageSlash, on november 09, 2012

Sound: It fits all styles of music. I play mostly Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Hendrix and Guns N' Roses. As you know, most of those people played with single coils, and a few with humbuckers. The Fat Strat has both humbuckers and single coils, giving you mad versatility. I am running through a Roland Super Cube 60. I keep the bass at 7, treble at 10 and middle at 7, with distortion turned up halfway. Sounds amazing. This guitar can sound grunge, classic rock, metal, and even heavy/death metal! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up perfectly at the factory. It was even tuned perfectly! Action was great, intonation was great. Fender does a really good job of setting up their guitars. The pickups were in perfect place also. This guitar had no flaws. No scratches, no flaws or dents or anything. It was great! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This axe will withstand live playing anyday. The hardware also lasts. The strap buttons have never seemed to move. They are really stable. I would gig with this anyday without a backup. It is just that reliable. The polyutherane finish is awesome. It's so shiny, and it's not going to wear off. // 10

Overall Impression: Perfect! // 10

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: 2004 made in Mexico Fat Strat. 22 frets, rosewood fingerboard, midnight wine finish, floyd rose locking tremelo, volume, mid, tone, 5-way selector, all pickups, including humbucker, are Fender. // 8

Sound: I just received this guitar and I am extremely impressed with the fit and finish. After a fine-tune, the guitar plays very well through a Fender ultimate chorus. As stated in several other reviews, there is plenty of variety with this guitar, depending on what settings you choose. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Again, fit & finish, first rate. However, the set-up was a little sloppy for me. Call me picky, but the neck pickup was set flush to the body and the intonation settings were all sharp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar should withstand whatever you use it for, live, studio, etc. It is built strong enough that I would certainly consider it for a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this guitar because I was impressed with it in the store and cannot really "feel" any descernable differences between this one and an "amercian made" version. Although my wallet would certainly feel it! I have been playing 35 years and also own a 1965 Les Paul Special, a 1970 Les Paul Black Beauty, a 1977 Ibenez "Muscian" with active electronics, several accoustics and various other "stuff". // 8

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: last_testament, on november 09, 2012

Features: I have a transparent saphire blue Standard Strat, made in Mexico in the year 2001. 21 Vintage style frets, hardley nticeable while playing. 25. 5" scale. It's got an ash body, rosewood fretboard, and maple neck. I love the rose wood, great tones. It's the modern "C" Strat shape. 1 volume and two controls. 1 humbicker and two single coil pick-ups, humbucker adds a nice crunch. Stock pick-ups still sounding great. // 10

Sound: I play true punk rock (Ramones, Casualties, Social D, Clash, Dead Kennedys, etc.) and the humbucker compliments that nicely. I use a 75 watt Fender Frontman, great amo to by the way. It is a tad noisy (nothing I complain about, doesn't bother me), but particularly on the bridge, and bridge/neck pick-ups. Tons of variety, from fast speedy jazz runs, to blues, to punk rock, to what ever the options are endless. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up almost flawlessy in the factory, great out of the box. Pick ups were perfect. One of the tones controls is a little wobbly, and there is a little, (what I think is) glue residue at the end of the fretboard. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand a lot of abuse, I'd play with out a back up anytime. The hardware has lasted, and the strap buttons are solid. The finish is awesome, almost perfect (nothing is perfect, but hey), beautiful color. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said I play street punk, I have been fooling around for a long time, but have gotten serious within the last 7-8 months, I also own a Johnson acoustic. If it were stolen I would get another Strat. I love the variety of tones, the ease of tuning, and the duriblity the most, I don't like the minor flaws I mentioned before. My favortie feature is the tone capability. // 10

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: PlanetTelex, on november 09, 2012

Features: This is a Fender Standard Fat Strat made in Mexico. It has 21 Vintage style frets and a maple neck. It has an alder body, and I have it in a midnight wine satin polyurethane finish, which looks really sharp. It has 2 standard single coil pickups, and one humbucker in the bridge. It has one volume and two tone knobs, as well as a 5-way pickup selector. It comes with a Vintage style tremolo. It has Fender standard tuning pegs, which move around alot, but a screwdriver can fix that. // 8

Sound: I play rock and blues, and this fits taht style really well. I'm using this with a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT, as well as a standard crybaby and a Boss MT-2. The pickups do buzz a little when the single coils are selected, but only a little. Since this has single coils and a humbucker, you can get a myriad of sounds. I plan on replacing the humbucker, because Fender doesn't make the greatest ones. Once I put a Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge, I think this guitar will be perfect. I can get bright sounds as well as a warm mellow sound, thanks to the pickups and tone controls. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this at Guitar Center, and bought it straigh off of the wall, and it seems fine to me. There were no errors as far as the frets, strings, and string height. The only real flaw was the loose tuning pegs, but I fixed that with a screwdriver. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems very durable. I've had this for almost a year, and it shows no signs of wear or tear, and I practice pretty much every day. I would definitely use this without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and blues, and this suits my style perfectly. I've played for about two years now. I wish I had known that Fender humbuckers didn't give the greatest sound, because then I would have replaced them right there and then, but even now it doesn't make or break my performance. I love taht I can get so many sounds out of one guitar. I almost got an Epiphone G-400, but the Strat seemed more versatile. This is my first electric guitar, and I don't see the need to get another one. Most people complain that Mexican Fenders aren't as good as American ones, but my teacher has the American one, and I honestly don't hear a big difference. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a guitar that will play almost any type of music. // 8

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: bullseyestrat, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: I'm gonna say it was made in 2006 because it has the 60th anniversary badge on the back of the headstock in Mexico. It has 21 medium-jumbo frets on a light rosewood fretboard. The neck is a c shape maple which is thin and fast. it's also smooth and unfinished. The body is solid alder with a midnight wine finish. The main feature that sets it apart from other factory Fender strats is that it has a Floyd Rose tremolo system instead of the usual Vintage tremolo. The electronics are the same as a regular fat Strat which has the HSS configuration and a 5 way selector. The pickups are 2 ceramic single coils and a hot humbucker from Fender. The tuners are locking and made by Fender. It also included a Standard Fender gigbag and some allen wrenches to tune the floyd. // 9

Sound: This is a very versatile guitar. You can pretty much do any type of music with it seeing how it has a humbucker and a floyd rose. It all matters on how you set the amp really. The humbucker allows for classic rock, heavy metal, thrash metal(Sepultura anyone), and other types of rock. The single coils on a clean setting have the classic Fender tone with less noise which is good for jazz and blues. The humbucker along with the floyd rose can make a EVH type sound given the amp. In short it really has a bright but resonant sound with the humbucker, and a classic Fender tone with the single coils. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The only problem I had was the springs weren't very strong and I couldn't get it tuned. So I spent $6 on new and better springs, and it fixed the problem. Other than that it was set up very well. The body had a few scratches on it too, but they're not very noticeable and it gives it character. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had it since October 2006 and I haven't had any problems with it. It's a very sturdy guitar. I replaced the strap buttons with Dunlop straplocks to begin with so that was never a problem. I think it would withstand Live playing, but I'd always bring a backup. The only thing that'll definitely wear out overtime is the floyd, but any guitar with a floyd will wear out and need repairs overtime. // 9

Overall Impression: I wanted to buy a sturdy Floyd Rose guitar, and this was the best one at the time for me. I've been playing about 4 years and I own a lot of other gear (14+ guitars). Even though I have a lot of guitars, I keep coming back to this one because it sounds great, feels great, and is fun to play with the floyd. I'd be pissed if I lost it or got it stolen because I got this guitar on my 21st birthday. I'd buy another one though. I like everything about this guitar. I was thinking of getting a Jackson or ESP of some sort at the time, but seeing how I like strats, it was the guitar for me. Buy this guitar if you like floyd rose's and strats. // 9

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar Den

Features: Made in Mexico, 21 frets, vol., tone, 5way selector. I have a S/S/H pickup config, with Fender Lace sensitve gold single coils, and a seymoure duncan invader for the humbucker. It is black with a black pickguard, and the Fender standard bridhge, and the std. Fender tuners. // 8

Sound: This is the perfect guitar for the music I play, which is mainly Pop-punk (ex. Green Day, Blink 182, etc...) and Emo (The Get Up Kids, Dashboard Confessional, etc...). The invader gives it a great crunchy distortion, while the Lace sensitives give it a great no hum clean sound. I use it with a Marshall JCM900 100watt tube amp, and a Fender 120 watt Ultra Chorus. It has pretty good variety to the types of sounds it can make, but its the best for punk I say. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Fender is very good at setting up their guitars at their factories I think, the strings arent too high, and the intonation is perfect. The pickups were pretty good when I got it, but I still felt the need to replace them all, b/c I don't enjoy the hum of regular single coils, and the sound with that Fender humbucker is loud enough. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar definentaly withstands live playing, at least when I play it live. The hardware seems like its gonna last me awhile. The finish on Fender strats always lasts awhile for me. Right now I have Dunlop (I think) strap locks on there cause my strap used to fall off all the time. I can depend on it good enough, but I still bring my backup (a regular Fender Strat) and my Gibson Les Paul (my down tuned guitar). // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 2 years. I also own a Fender Stratocaster, and a Gibson Les paul. I have a Marshall JCM900 100 watt amp, and a Fender 120 watt Ultra Chorus. If my fat Strat was stolen or lost, I would prolly buy another one and do the same thing to it as I did to this one. I really dont hate anything aboot it, and I love everything aboot it. oh and uhhhh. I'M A MEXICAN! // 10

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Made in 2000 in Mexico, 22 frets, 5-way pick-up selector, S/S/H, black body with rosewood fretboard, string-thru body and jumbo fret board. // 8

Sound: It has bridge humbucker and 2 single coils so it's excellent for metal, punk, grunge etc. I use it with a Marshall dual-channel valve amp usually and I've tried it live...it RULES!!! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Mine is black like one pictured with Kurt Cobain at timesand looks just like it. Only with black pick-ups. The one pictured is the same only with a Floyd Rose trem. It rules even more than mine. Looks better too. The machineheads are older ones and are crap for restringing. But you get that done by some guy in a guitar shop and your fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's really good live and will last me ages. The hardwear is reliable too. The strap buttons are as tight as something really tight (...use your imaginion...). Really reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: It rules for any kind of rock if your rhythm or lead. I would choose this over anything apart from a Jaguar with a bridge humbucker and neck single coil though.... // 10

Purchased from: Guitar Center Raleigh NC

Features: - Made in Mexico - 21 frets - Volume, 2 tone knobs, 5 way pickup selector - Standard Fender S/S/H pickup - Maple neck , a maple headstock // 10

Sound: I play classic rock and hard rock. This is why I like the Fat Stratocaster. You can Switch from single coils for a clean sound to the humbucker for overdrive. I play with a Fender Frontman 25R amp. There is a lot of buzzing in the background when my fingers aren't touching the strings. I think this is the amp more then the guitar though. I love the range of sounds I get from this guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I havn't changed the set-up of my guitar at all, and the pickups are adjusted fine from the factory. This guitar hasn't gotten scratched at all and has great finish. The tuning pegs slip a little while I'm playing. This is a great guitar otherwise. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Everything on this guitar has lasted, and is still looking good. I have never had a problem with anything on the guitar, and I would deffinatley gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for all styles of music because of its pickups. I am glad that I spent the extra $50 to get the Fat Strat instead of a Standard Strat. The color selection online sucks for all strats, but if you go to Guitar center they can get it for you in almost any color, and they will service the guitar for you. I played many guitars at Guitar Center and read many reviews on others, and this is a reliable and respectable guitar. I love it. // 10

Purchased from: Guitar Center Arlington, Tx

Features: It's a 2004 Mexican guitar with 21 jumbo frets and a thin maple neck with rosewood fingerboard (maple just feels weird under my fingers). It has a 5-way selector, H/S/S pickup config. There are 2 tone knobs (one for rhythm and one for lead) and 1 volume knob. // 10

Sound: I play rock (screamo, grunge, etc.) and use a Crate amp. It suits that style perfect. It buzzes a little on overdrive, but I'm not sure if thats my amp or the pickups, it does have great tone though, and you can get pretty much any sound you want on the thing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was great straght from the box, pickups were fine, and there were no flaws what so ever. I got the white finish (I'm a sucker for the off white color) and it looks great, no paint swirls or anything, the only thing I really don't like is that there are 3 springs instead of 5 but thats a very easy adjustment. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is solid as a rock, I mean its a Fender Strat, would you expect anything less? The tuning knobs do tend to slip a little but those can be changed easy. When I first bought the thing I expected to have to purchase strap locks but after using it with a strap, I found that to make the strap fall off you would have to play with the neck pointing strait to the ceiling, those things are very solid. I depend on it everyday and it never fails me, I don't even keep a backup around when I play live. The finish is also solid I don't see it comming off any time soon. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is the best in the price range for my personal playing, it may be a Mexican, but is plays just as well as any amercan I've tried out. // 10

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: - Alder body - 21 Vintage style frets - Rosewood fingerboard - Pickups: 1 bridge humbucker, two single coil pickups - One volume knob, two tone knobs - 5 way pickup selector - Vintage style synchronized tremolo. // 8

Sound: I play mainly rock and blues, and this guitar seems to do the job. I play it through a Crate GLX15 amp. I can get a wide variety of sounds using the tone and volume controls on the guitar. If the tone is all the way up, then the sound will be very bright, but if it's all the way down, the sound is very mellow. There is not a a very good medium between the two, though. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The tuning knobs on this guitar are very loose. I had to adjust mine with a screwdriver, but they still seem to go out of tune sometimes. I would change the pickups, because I don't think the Fender ones sound that great. I haven't done any changes on it myself, but purely because this I smy girst electric guitar, and I want to play it a while before I can make a decision of what pickups I want. I suggest Dimarzio, though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar looks and feels like it can take a beating. It is built solidly, and I'm pretty sure it will last a long time. I have no problems with its durability. // 10

Overall Impression: Since this is my first electric, I'd say its pretty good. I was debating between this and an Epiphone G-400. I've been playing for one and a half years, and also tried out an Ibanez, though I can't remember the model. I chose this because I thought I could get a wider variety of sounds out of it. My major problems are the tuners and the pickups. I'd reccomend this as a first guitar, because its good value for the price, and it will last longer and give you a better sound than a Squier Strat, which is what I almost got. If I lost this, I would probably replace it and just make a few minor adjustments. // 8

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: Pandrew947, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Long And McQuade

Features: Fender makes good guitars, I like them. My guitar is a Stratocaster. It is light blue one with a white scratchplate. It has 21 frets. It is made in mexico. It has a volume knob and 2 tone knobs. It has 2 single coiled pickups and a humbucker. Great guitar. // 10

Sound: I play punk, rock, emo, stuff like Blink 182, Green Day, The Used etc. and this guitar suits it very well, the humbucker makes a great sound. You get the occasional soft buzzing in the background which can get someone annoyed but as long as youre playing you can't hear it, just turn the volume knob down when youre not playing. I use a Marshal MG series amp, it's a practice size. I use a DigiTech Hot Head Distortion pedal aswell and it sounds great with this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is pretty well built. It's solid. The pickups are adjusted well. Everything about this guitar is great apart from the jack and the strap buttons. The strap buttons turn and I don't think thats supposed to happen so I'm gonna tighten them up and jack thing where you plug in the chord is kinda lose, so I'm gonna tighten it with a screw driver, it worked with my old guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can withstand live playing. I don't hope around or anything when I play so nothing should break off while I play. The hardware seems like it will last a while just I'm afraid about the jack and the strap buttons. I would depend on this guitar because it sounds awesome but maybe I would use a backup at a show. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Blink, Green Day etc. and this guitar is perfect for it. I've been playing guitar for a while now, don't remember when I started and if this guitar was lost or stolen from me, I would cry first of all because I spent almost 600 on it but its a good price for this guitar. I like this guitar and I think Fender is one of the best guitar companies out there. // 10

Purchased from: Music Machine

Features: It's a 2004 midnight wine fat srat, so it has 21 frets, rosewood fretboard, a Vintage style trem, 2 singles and a humbucker in the bridge position, I think the humbucker is a Tex-Mex, not sure though. Only problems I have had are the saddles take getting used too, but once you do, it gets way easier. Only other problem I have had is the treble strings like to go a quarter of a step or so out of tune, if you are using the trem. // 10

Sound: I play alot of stuff, from Clapton to Dave Matthews to Norma Jean, it throws out the tone pretty well, you can get really nice throaty palm mutes in drop d, then go to nice single coil vintagey lead tones, in a few seconds. I'm running it through a Behringer GMX210 for now, a little noise, but I'm pretty sure its the cable. You can easily use a compressor and get rid of it though. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got a in store setup when I bought it, the action was great though, only problem was the intonation needed set, just like any guitar. The g string had a slight buzz, but it was set a little low of the radius. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played it llived twicw so far, no problems so far, strap buttons are way solid, they can take what most will throw out. Hardware seems really good. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar works great for about anything I play, I've been playing almost 3 years now, I own a Seagull S6\+CW, and a Behringer amp, plus effects and some other crappy gear. If it were stolen, I might go for the maple fretboard, or splurge on an American Strat, just for the switching. I wish they had it in HardTail. // 10

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Sound: I play ol' skool punk rock (Primarily Youth Brigade, and Clash style), blues, and celtic punk rock (Pogues, Dubliners) and this guitar handles those styles great. Espeacially Blues, the 5-way selector in the second position really brings out a Stevie Ray Vaughan-ish tone. I use a Vox Valvetronix 50 watt and my Strat sounds really, really fat and warm through not noisy at all (thanks to the noise reduction on my amp). The Strat and get way up there, I can make her sqeal and I can her make her mone, the variety is amazing. Endless tonal possibilities can be reached through this thing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was good I had to do a little tweaking to fit my style but it a personal prefrence. Pickups were adjusted superbly. No flaws at all on this baby, it's a Fender c'mon. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Durable? Hell yes this thing is durable. I can thtow it on the ground pick it up and keep playin. Ever watch some of SRV's stuff live? That'll show ya how durable this thing is. I can depend on it, damn the thing never leaves me I love it to death. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before for this gitar suits me perfectly. I it were stolen I would go out and buy another no doubt the same day. I love everything about especially the variety of tones I can get out of it. My favorite feature is the nice fat humbucker in the bridge position. Unbelievable guitar for the price you can't go wrong anyone who is gettin' the basics down or anyone on a tight budget check this Strat out. // 10

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: Hardin, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Sound: I generally play classic rock, blues, and even some hair metal. The guitar is probably the most versitile that I have played on. With the single coils I can get a beautiful signature Fender clean tone, along with a distorted "woman" sound (think "Sunshine Of Your Love" by Cream and "American Woman" by The Guess Who). It has a great distorted crunch with the hambucker pickup that I use for Led Zeppelin and Guns N' Roses solos. All in all, I am quite impressed! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Overall the guitar was fairly well made for a non-American Strat. Everything was fine except for a small gap between the fretboard and the body, but it doesn't matter to be honest. It's very cool looking, mine is blue and white. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it for half a year, and I haven't had any problems. Keep in mind though that I'm not very good at taking care of instruments, I have already dropped this guitar while standing about 3 times, and no dents! The standard strings do break frequently, but It's really easy to simply replace them. I like the. 009 gauge though. // 9

Overall Impression: Classic rock (Jimi Hendrix) + blues (Eric Clapton) + hair metal (Van Halen) = this guitar! Perfect for each of them. My friend has played some new music on it (The Killers, Audioslave, RHCP) and he liked it alot. If it were stolen, I'd beat out of the theif, or get another one. I played my friends Squier Standard Strat then played my Standard Fat Strat, and let me tell you, there's a huge difference in versitility, tone, quality, and speed. If your thinking about getting either a Squier or a Standard Fender guitar, trust me, the extra money will be worth it. Although I will get another guitar (either a Les Paul or a Telecaster) in a few years, I'm never going to sell this guitar. It will grow old with me. // 10

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Sound: In all honesty I love this guitar! I dont feel the pickups are the best yet you can change that. The Neck pickup is my most used pick up. I bought this guitar also so I have a humbucker at the bridge for every other type of music I play. This guitar has a bright sound and great tone. What I mean by tone is you got an entire variety of sounds pushed into one guitar. I find its versatility amazing. People do not credit Fender's Standard shop enough. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There have been no problems with the set up except I like a bit higher of an action. Everything was in great shape when I bought it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'll be honest although I love this guitar, this guitar can not stay in tune very well when you use the Tremelo bar. It is really a hassle to play a tremolo included solo and after that the rythm is lost due to the strings being out of tune. // 8

Overall Impression: There is bad in every guitar in the world whether you think it or not. It's a world of imperfection unfortuneatley yet I love for its flaws and for its upsides. I recommend this guitar for anyone who needs a mass amount of diffrent tones and great playability. This guitar was not compared to any other guitars I just liked it for its sound. I will not compare a Gibson Les Paul To a Fender Stratocaster because they are built diffrently they have diffrent tones and are known for there own aspects so I do not compare guitars of different qualities or brands I just found this one played it and liked sound. That is why there is no compareisions of instruments in this review. I just say it as it is. I like this guitar and I know people will back me up. // 10

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Mine was made in 05 and it's in the awesome electron blue finish. It has one master volume knob and two tone knobs one for the middle pickup and one for the neck. Too bad there isn't one for the bridge. It has two single coils for your bright tones and a humbucker which gives you a lot more crunch. It has a tremolo which is nice except for the problems below. The bridge is also good too I haven't had any problems with it. I also love the five way selector switch it can really give you a plethora of tones. // 9

Sound: I like to play everything. Right now I am focusing on a lot of guitar vitruoso stuff like Vai and Satriani. This suits the purpose perfectly. But just one thing. Change the pickups. You have no idea how much it improves the sound. It's mind boggling. I decided to go crazy one day and bought a Seymour Duncan JB for the bridge, a Hotrails for the Middle, and a Hot Rails for the neck. God strike me dead this guitar sounds amazing now. It really is made out of good wood. The pickups just aren't the greatest. Change them and you will be in heaven. Before I changed the pickups the tone was just ok. The single coil pickups had a surprisingly nice punch and they sounded good clean. I liked the single coils. The humbucker though had not enough output. In fact it didn't have a bunch more than the single coils. The pickup change fixed everything though. Now everything sounds fantastic clean and distorted. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Very well set up. I had no problems at all when I bought it. The action was nice and low and the pickups we adjusted fine. I put them a little higher though. No flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is extremly durable. It took quite a few falls and bumps but it's still in fantastic condition. My main problem is with the tremolo. The tremolo puts it out of tune fast. I would be afraid to use the tremolo live. It puts it out of tune in three or four power dives it's crazy. The input jack also keeps getting loose. It doesn't affect playability or anything it just is annoying that's all. // 6

Overall Impression: Very good guitar. It just wont stay in tune when I use the tremolo and it's input jack keeps getting loose. Other than that it's awesome. Very nice tone great neck and it's nice and light. Very comfortable to play and has a great tone especially after I changed the pickups. // 9

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: guitarkid2113, on november 09, 2012

Features: I got this guitar about a year ago. I traded in an acoustic/electric guitar (I forgot what make it was). This guitar was made in Mexico, but I still love this guitar. There are 21 frets on the rosewoord neck. It has an alder body, satin finish, and Fenders Midnight Wine red. It has Tune-O-Matic bridge, one volume control, 2 tones, and a five way selector. This has two standard pickups and one humbucker by the bridge. Overall, this is a great guitar at an affordable price. I really enjoy playing this guitar. // 10

Sound: This guitar pretty much fits ANY music style. Funk, rock, metal, you name it. You can play really distorted grunge with the humbuckers, and punk too. I mostly use this guitar for like Red Hot Chili Pepper stuff and other music like that (clean smooth sound). I have a Fender 25R amp and a Vox V847 wah wah pedal. The reverb along with the guitar sounds great. The wah wah pedal works well with solos. The guitar is not noisy at all! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty well. The only thing I distaste about the guitar, is not the guitar itself, but the action, and the way it was set up. Its a little too high, but I got used to it. The pickups are fine and everything else too, only the action. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I deffinately think that this guitar will last me a long while. I'd use it live play without a backup because if you don't do anything stupid, it'll withstand about anything! The strap buttons are very sturdy unlike some other guitars I've played. This one stays on. I really like it. I play pretty hard and the paint hasn't scratched yet, and I've had it for about a year, and it was used. // 9

Overall Impression: I play pretty much any style of music. I play funk, punk, metal, alternative, and classic rock (Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Beatles etc). This guitar fits every music style. I've been playing for about 3 years now and I have a Fender 25R amp and a Vox V847 wahwah pedal. If this guitar were stolen, I'd deffinately buy it again. Its affordable, and it has great quality and performance. I love everything about this guitar except for the action. Its just a little too high. But other than that, a great guitar. // 10

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Steve's Music (Toronto)

Sound: I play a fair range of styles, but mostly settle around the jazz/blues/country/rock area, leaning on a more aggressive sound. This Strat works for about everything I do, with good tonal contrasts from one end of the selector switch to the other. Its easy to retrofit these guitars, and so I did, putting 2 Fender Texas Specials in the front, and a Seymour Duncan JB in the back. This beefed up the sound in general, and although the new singles have a little more hum than the lower-output stock set, their growl and bite more than make up for it. Putting the JB in the back solved the no. 1 problem with this guitar: the Fender stock humbucker that came in it is quiet and it didn't give that fiery boost that you may want for intensive lead playing. With the retrofit, the single coils are still pretty sparkling when clean, and have a real grinding bite when set dirty, and the humbucker is searing or soothing, depending on the tone/volume settings. standard switching configuration will give you a good spread of distinctive tones some fuller than others. The guitar does have a lot of natural high-end. It costs a bit extra to upgrade the pickups, but it is definitely worth it, as the factory sound of the guitar is ok, but it really isn't anything special. The tonewoods are good though, and give great bright tone with better pickups. The sound is 7/10 before the new pickups, 10/10 after. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar after it had sat on the wall of a store for a year, and had been played, so I had to fix up the intonation when I got it. When I changed the pickups and the faceplate I reset the pole heights, but the action has been pretty much fine. The pegs and other hardware are generally fine, but I hate the white plastic pickguard and knobs, so I switched it and the knobs for black ones and made some black covers for the texas specials. much better now. The jack socket was a bit loose, but a pair of pliers fixed it in ten seconds, and it hasn't been a problem since. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a pretty tough guitar. I treat it relatively nicely, but it does get knocked over and bumped from time to time, and has survived well. The strap buttons are fine. This is a dependable instrument, and I gladly gig with it, sometimes with other guitars, and sometimes without. All the parts are wearing ok, and the body finish is great. I don't really like the satin neck finish, but most fenders have this now, so unless you're willing to pay for the luxury of a neck with a heavy gloss coat, I guess you just make do. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly blues/jazz/country/rock, in that order. I use this guitar, and a 15-year old Washburn HB 35 (a good guitar in its own right) for electric. My main amp is a Fender Blues Junior, sometimes using a Smokey Amp in between the guitar and the Junior to Drive the hell out of it, and/or a Dunlop Crybaby somewhere in the lineup. I've been playing for about five years, and do the occasional gig or recording set, but nothing too big. For what I do, the rig I'm using is decent, and this guitar fits perfectly. The Strat gives good overdriven tones without breaking up too much, and is still distinctive and clear through the single coils with the volume rolled a bit back. Here's what I don't like: the factory pickups are middle-of-the-road, at best. Standard 6-screw-mounted tremolos are garbage. They only allow for limited tremolo action, after which your tuning goes completely off. I took the trem bar off this guitar and threw it in a parts box. The white plastic bugs me, but this is easily replaced with after-market parts for minimal cost (about $25) and some people love it. Basically, I bought this instead of an Epiphone Les Paul, and I think its worked out very well. I don't have as as thick a tone, but the subleties of the different pickup types give this guitar an extremely wide range, all nice and bright thanks to the maple fretboard. If someone stole it, I'd shoot first and buy a new guitar later, but then I'd probably get the same one, and do the same work on it. Once these are hot-rodded a little, they're tough to beat for tonal diversity and sheer playability. // 8

Price paid: A$ 780

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music

Features: This is a Fender Standard Fat Strat made in mexico, in 2004/2005. It has 21 frets, black finish with a white pickguard. The body is made of alder and the neck is made of maple with a rosewood fretboard, a volume knob and two tone knobs and a 5 way selector. No extra accessories were included not even the whammy bar that should've came with it. // 6

Sound: I play rock and punk, I used this with a Marshall AVT150FX, there's lots of noise and feedback on any settings I used, I would have to fiddle with the amp to try and cover up the the feedback as much as possible but afterwards it sounded great. This guitar can't get too far, in terms of tone, as it doesn't have much sustain. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was high, I usually don't like it like this but I got used to it, the pickups are probably the worst part about this guitar, whenever the humbucker is not in distortion you can really see how bland it is. The only flaw I have found is that one of the pickup height screws came loose and I had a whole lot of trouble finding a screw that would work with it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: No it won't I've only gigged with it a few times and it already showed too much wear, the hardware just falls apart really, so you might want to give it a complete overhaul in that section aswell as the pickups. The finish is pretty solid, I've only got one small nick out the back of it and a couple of scratches but those are my fault for playing with it in front of my desk where it would be scratched. // 5

Overall Impression: I think this guitar could be suited to any genre of music. I've been playing for four years, If it were stolen I might buy another start however it would be customised close after purchase. I love it's weight, it is so light I could throw it over a barn. I hate the colour scheme the most, black and white seems so dull. I chose this because I wanted a versatile guitar, I did get a versatile one, howver the longevity of it's use was not long at all. // 7

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: ariaaria, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar comes with a Whammy bar, Volume on guitar, Tone on guitar, a strap, a pick and an amplifier. It's Laminated on top so it's scratch resistant. Comes with cable, amplifier, headphones, and of course, the guitar. It has a Maple (dark brown) fretboard with twenty-two frets! // 9

Sound: It suits my guitar music style which is usually metal and rock. If you like Indie-rock it works depending on the song but there's always one song which it won't sound good on. There are many settings to the amp where you can get a full and rich sound, or a more 'metallic' type of sound. In my years of experience with this guitar there are tons of options, but I like sticking to only a few things, so for me, there's only 3 tones: Acoustic, metal (on high Drive) and rock (on level 5 Drive). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was given to me wrapped in bubble paper so it literally looked untouched. It wasn't pretuned so I had to tune it myself. There weren't any flaws on it at all, just keep it in a safe place and it will stay that way. The strings are "soft" so it doesn't put much strain on your fingers as most guitars do. I also love the accessibility of the frets so no matter what size fingers you have, you will still play smoothly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: To be honest, you've really got to be an expert to play this guitar. If you push down too hard the strings it will break. You must replace the cable you got with the guitar after one year. This guitar, though, will last for a very long time (I've had mine for 4 years now) if you play for 3 hours a day. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one amazing guitar. It's my first guitar and it will be my last as well. If I'd ever lost this guitar, I'd buy the exact same guitar, except in black, because the one I have is cherry red. I love how the guitar matches the sound in most songs you hear. One thing I hate though, is that I want to put it on display for people to look at but I don't have anywhere to put it on my wall. In the whole store this one stood out the most, I'm just happy I chose this Fender Fat Stratocaster and not anything else because I LOVE this guitar. I'd rate it 9.7/10 because of the issue with the cable, the cable lasts only for a year and you have to buy a new one, but it's worth every penny because another cable costs only $5.00 or something. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jaguar HH Special 8.2 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014