Standard Stratocaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 01/16/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Standard Stratocaster
Fast-action maple neck, comfort-contoured alder body, three single-coil pickups and standard synchronized tremolo -- it's where the tradition began and still carries on today. Available with your choice of a maple or rosewood fingerboard.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 8.9
reviews (61) pictures (12) 212 comments vote for this gear:
Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: My Strat was Mexican-made in 2004. It has a 21-fret maple neck (lightning fast) and an alder body. The finish is black (shows fingerprints easy, but looks stunning against the white pickguard). It comes with the classic synchronized trem (perfect for that intro on "Foxy Lady"). Volume control and two tone controls. 5-way Switch with three single-coils. The recessed jack, of course, is a nice touch. // 10

Sound: I mostly play rock and blues; the Strat's home field, so to speak. The bridge pickup gives you that classic twang ("House Of The Rising Sun", "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Crossroads"); the neck pickup gives you the deep crunch ("Smoke on the Water"), and the middle and combinations give you everything in between ("Sunshine Of Your Love"). I use a Marshall 15-watt with reverb, delay, chorus, and flange. I've also got a Vox wah-wah, which with the Strat and Marshall give an irresistible Hendrix feeling. Really, the amazing thing about a Stratocaster is the stunning versatility. You can get any sound you want, with beautiful tone. Noise can be a slight issue when you don't use pickup combinations, but how else could Jimi play "The Star Spangled Banner"? The problem is offset by the beatiful swell you get when using reverb and going from low to high volume. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Adjustion seemed fine all along the watchtower, although the plastic was pretty annoying to get off (besides that little voice that's telling you it wasn't supposed to come off). A little got stuck under one of my tone controls, but that's not actually a problem. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is an extremely solid piece of work; it's withstood the usual bumps and falls without showing a scratch. The finish looks lasting, too. The strap buttons are fine. // 10

Overall Impression: For my blues and rock, this was a match made in heaven. If it were stolen, I would hunt down the man who took it and go to town on his arse with a crowbar, then get a new one. I might consider getting it in sunburst, but black is equally nice. The tone and versatility are flawless; the vibrato bridge is effective. In a way, I didn't choose it; it chose me. If you honestly believe in that kind of thing, you might be a guitarist. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Gibson_Rocker13, on november 09, 2012

Features: This Stratocaster was made in 2006 and on the back of the headstock it has a little emblem stating that it's a 60th Anniversary guitar but I think all the guitars that Fender is making in 2006 have these. This guitar was made in mexico but I don't see that as a problem becausae this baby is so sweet. 21 frets, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard and alder body. The guitar is artic white with trasparent finish and it's extreamly durable. I got the guitar with a Vintage style synchronized tremolo which I prefer for the stlye of music I play. The pickups on this axe are great, I use tons of distortion when I'm playing leads and there is absolutly no feedback unless I go right up to the amp and stick the guitar infront of it (for the hendrix foxy lady flavour) but you would get that from any guitar with that much distortion. The pickups configuration is S/S/S and are 3 standard single-coil Strat pickups (ceramic magnets). The tuners are fender/ping standard cast/sealed tuning machines which I think are just the basic tuners for strats. It came with a Fender gig bag and its good considering the guitar is so durable and there was some alan keys to use if you wanted to do adjusting on your own. // 9

Sound: I play mostly classic rock, hard rock and a bit of metal and this guitar suits me perfectly. The amp I used when I bought it was a Fender Twin Reverb but when I use it through a Fender Frontman 15G or a Yamaha B212 and even through a shitty pracice amp(the Fender frontamn) and through a hundred watt(the Yamaha) this guitar delivers.The effects I used were the jimi hendrix wah, Boss M-D2 distortion and a stereo chorus and it was amazing. This guitar has a whole wide range of sounds-the neck pickup is pretty beefy for a single coil that isnt a P-90 and its good, the bridge pickup is really bright and has tons of twang and the middle pickup's sound is inbetween the neck and bridge pickups sound. When two pickups are active at the same time though it sounds like it looses some of its tone so I dont really use the neck/middle or middle/bridge pickup settings. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar seems to be setup pretty good at the factory and it only needed a little adjusting with the tunings.The pickups were adjusted just fine. The only things that is a bit of a nusance is that when you change the guage of strings to a heavier one the bridge lifts and the stings are higher off the neck. There was only one thing I needed to adjust on the guitar and that was that one of the screws on the pickup selector was loose so I had to tighten it but htat was it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played this guitar live, but when I play I move around a lot so it's like I'm playing live and it seems to be able to withstand it. The hardware seems just as durable as everything else on this guitar. The strap buttons seem like they will last forever. This is one depedable axe and I would play a gig without a backup for sure. The finish on this guitar looks like it will last cause it was pilled on. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is that it's a great guitar for its price and it matches my style of playing pretty well. I've been playing for about 3 years and I love this guitar. I also own a # other guitars: a Gibson SG, a Gibson Les Paul Junior and a Jackson JS30 Dinky but I only use the SG and the Strat out of the three. There isnt anything I would change on this guitar unless it broke casue it really is an amazing instrument for the price. If this guitar was stolen I'd hunt down whoever stole it and beat them with a lead pipe untill they gave it back and if it were lost id definitly buy a new one but maybe in tobaaco busrt (but it costs an extra $50 for that finish) but I love this thing in white. // 9

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 09, 2012

Features: Year made: 1991 Made in: USA Number of Frets: 21 Controls: 5-position blade, 1 volume, 2 tone Pickup Config.: S/S/S Model of pickup: Strat Pickups (Ceramic Magnets) Body : Alder Neck : Maple Finish: (Polyurethane Finish) Body Style: Stratocaster Bridge Style: Vintage Style Synchronized Tremolo Neck/Scale: Medi`um Jumbo Frets // 8

Sound: Style: Anything but super-heavey metal, and some heavy rock. Amp/Effects: Fender Cyber Twin, DOD VGS50 multi effects pedal Noise: None Sound: Shrap and punchy // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set-up: Great! Pickups adj.: Minor manual adjustment needed Flaws: Absolutly none // 10

Reliability & Durability: Live Play: Yes, and then some Hardware: Will last a lifetime Finish: It's just as good as the day I got it. Strap buttons: May need occational tightning Dependability: With out a doubt Gig w/o backup: For sure // 10

Overall Impression: Played: 5 years Questions: None Replace: I'd probably buy it again // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: jc_queb, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Steve's Music

Features: This is a 2003-2004 Standard Strat made in Mexico. I'm not sure if it's made in 2003 or 2004 but my serial number starts with MZ3 so I know it's in that period. 21 Vintage style frets. Maple neck and maple fretboard. Body is alder. Chrome hardware. Sunburst. Vintage synchronized tremolo bridge. Passive electronics (I think). One volume, two tone for neck and middle pickups. Five way Switch. Three standard single coil Strat pickups (ceramic magnets). Fender/Ping Standard cast/sealed tuning machines. Came with a whammy bar. // 8

Sound: I like to play everything: classic rock, modern rock, alternative, punk, maybe a bit of metal, blues. It suits all these styles very well except for the metal. However, my band does not do metal so I don't care. It suits the bluesy tone exceptionally well (obviously since SRV, Jimmie Vaughan, EC, Buddy Guy, John Mayer etc. play(ed) Strats). I've discovered the almost endless possibilities of sound you can obtain by playing around with the tone controls (which is something I never did with my old Strat copy). Right now, I'm playing it through a Boss DS-1 into a Fender Frontman 15R. It sounds really good as it is but soon I will be getting a better, bigger amp. In the store I played it through straight into a Hot Rod Deville and it gave such a beautiful tone. It is quite noisy when you're not splitting the signal between two pickups, but I expected that from single coils. The noise is quite noticeable with distoriton on. It does not bother me because when I am playing, you can't hear the noise (only when I'm not playing). The bridge pickup is the noisiest of three. The noise goes awat when you use two pickups. The guitar can make a lot of sounds it's got a nice bright rich sound but I can also get a warm and rich bluesy tone on the neck pickup or with the bridge and middle pickup (with tone set to 0). It's got nice high ends to cut through the rhythm guitar, which is good because I play mostly lead in my band. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well setup at the factory. The bridge was well routed and at a good height. The action is really nice but I've noticed a bit of buzzing on the D string when it is played unplugged. This is not a factor when the guitar is played through an amp, so it's not a big deal. The sunburst finish makes this one of the most beautiful guitars out there (IMO). // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing and I am looking forward to playing it live. I've had it for three weeks and no problems yet. Fender has pretty good customer support in my experience (they did not charge me to replace a faulty input jack on my 15R). I put strap locks on as soon as I got this because I don't trust factory strap buttons. The finish seems nice and it's beautiful too! // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great match for my styles (see Sound). I have been playing for a bit more than a year and I own a Strat copy (which I bought for 50$ off a friend best deal ever). This guitar kicks the -- out of my old one. Obviously, the whammy bar system is not great. I have not yet decided if I will use it when playing live but I don't think it will cause the guitar to go out of tune if I do use it live. I am not a whammy bar abuser like Eddie Van Halen, I would use it more like guys such as SRV or Eric Johnson. They did not have Floyd Rose bridges so I don't think using the whammy bar (reasonably) will make the guitar go out of tune. I don't really like the shape of the whammy bar, I'd prefer a shorter one with a different curve. I did my research before buying this and I have not been shocked by any of its features, they are good I think that I will probably replace the tuners with locking ones (don't know which brand yet) just as an upgrade. This guitar does not go out of tune very easily, although it has been going sharp a bit with the whammy bar (when I abuse it). This will not be a problem, as I said before, for live playing. Some day, I will upgrade the pickups just to make this an even better instrument. Sometimes I wish I had gotten a Fat Strat to eliminate the noise with the bridge pickup, but I love the single coil sound more. If it were stolen, I am not sure that I would buy it again. Maybe I would go for an American Strat depends on when it were stolen lol. I love this guitar's sound, look and feel. I dislike the noise in the bridge pickup position, but I don't "hate" it. I wish this guitar had more than 21 frets, but it's not a problem. I compared this to Epi Les Pauls and SG. I found that the Les Paul was lacking the tonal versatility that this one has the Strat has nicer high ends. The SG simply does not suit my style, but is a good guitar. I also compared this to a Mexican Tele. Once again, the Tele was not as versatile as this one (IMO). Also, my opinion of Teles was lowered when I played one with an extremely weak and plain tone (I don't know if it was the amp or the guitar). I also compared this to a PRS Santana SE. Once again, great guitar. However, I liked the Strat better. To my ears, it sounds better. It also looks nicer and was less expensive. I wish this guitar had come with 0.10 strings instead of 0.9's. When I restring, I'll probably put 10's and have to adjust the spring claw and intonation. No big problem. I chose this guitar for its sound, versatility, look and also for Fender's reputation of making quality products. I was not disappointed. I love this guitar! // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: kcfshorty, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar was made in Mexico. Is it a problem that it was built in Mexico? Hell no, that isn't even very relevant. The guitar has 21 frets mine is a maple neck as well as a maple fingerboard, the guitar also has a basic Strat alder body. Mine is a Brown Sunburst finish which I think looks great! The guitar comes equipped with a main volume control and two tone controls as well as a 5-way selector which gives you a wide range of sounds for just about any type of music you want to play. // 10

Sound: I play all sorts of types of music but I really love to play stuff along the lines of oasis. The guitar has a great sound and I love it. The 5-way selector really gives you the oppurtunity to play around with just about any sound you want. I use a little Marshall MG10CD and even though its not the greatest amp in the world I can make some serious noise with this guitar. The tone controls, along with the 5-way selector, allows you to go from a bright sharp tone to a rich full sound. In the sound department I have no complaints. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar itself is built sturdy, just like any other Fender guitar. The only complaint I have is that my guitar seems to go out of tune alot! I do use a wammy bar on occasion so that could contribute to it but even when I have the thing out I have to tune the guitar every couple of days and sometimes more. Other then that I have no issues. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built solid. It can withstand just about any abuse you can give it. I've dropped it on multiple occasions and I have slammed it into just about every solid object in my house and the thing still sounds as good (and looks as good) as the day I bought it. You could definantly play this thing at a gig without problems, it's a well built guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Once again I play just about anything I feel like. I do play a lot of Oasis, and even some punk stuff and this guitar delivers. I've been playing around 3 years and I've had this guitar for almost 1 and I love the thing. The guitar is well built and it gives a great sound, I have no real complaints. If it were stolen I would definantly buy a new one! I love the look and the sound is there anything else to love? It's not the greatest guitar out there, I must admit, but it is fairly cheap and its worth every penny and more. I would reccomend this guitar to anyone who is looking for one. It's a Strat for christ sake, you just can't go wrong with this guitar. It's a quality, versatile, overall great guitar! // 10

Purchased from: Melodie

Features: This '02 Fender Standard Strat is about the nicest guitar I've ever played. It's made in Mexico. It has the pretty rare sage metallic green finish, which I have never seen before. It has the usual Fender whammy and just 2 tone knobs and 1 volume. Stock pickups, which are great in my opinion, minimal noise, and a wide range of sounds. Got it with Fender stock non-locking tuners. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits about any style, it's a Strat! I play everything from blues to metal, it handles everything, but for the heavier metal shit I use my Les Paul. I was going to the store intending to buy an Epiphone Dot 335, which I really liked, I tried the Strat, along with the Epi en a bunch of other guitars, and this just fits to me best. My band plays a lot of punk and grunge, I sing and am solo guitar player, and everybody loves the sound of my Strat through the Marshall 8080 I use at rehearsal's. I use it through a Boss MT2, and a Danelectro Overdrive plugged into a old Avora 40w, and a Marshall 8080. It sounds very bright and rich like a Strat always does, I can have very full bassy RHCP-like sounds from the bridge pickup and very sparkling bright tones from the bridge pickup. Fender Stratocasters are known as the most versatile instruments around, and I think that is absolutely true, I handles every song and sounds better than our rhythm guitar players Hamers and Kramer in every way. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was just great. No flaws in the paint and the action was wonderful. The pickups were adjusted just fine, did not change anything about that. Only thing which was less cool: The factory strings, Fender Bullets were crap. I snapped one after owning it for about an hour, now I use D'Addarios on it and it is just fine now. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar definately withstands live playing. Everything is very solid and I depend on it for 100%. I always carry my Les Paul, cause with heavier shit it just sounds better cuz of the humbuckers. The hardware will last for decades, it'll never let me down. I seem to play pretty rough, and after owning it for about 6 months the only scratches are on the backplate 'cause of my belt, the finish is very scratchproof. I always use straplocks, but I could play this guitar without, and it wouldn't fall, 'cause the strapbuttons are just fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of styles, but mostly punk and grunge, with a very raw RHCP-like thin tone, and some distortion with lots of mid, for the solos. I play for about three years now and I own 2 acoustics, a Les Paul Copy and this Fender Strat, I could play any kind of music having the right guitar. If it were stolen I'd probably get my ass to the store and buy a Fender '50s style Strat, or another Standard Strat. What I love about this guitar is the bright Strat tone it produces, and its tonal versatility, and of course the looks and the color. My favourite feature is the ultimately comfortable neck, which Fender is known for. I compared it to an Epi Dot-335, OLP John Petrucci, Gibson Les Paul, and about 20 other guitars, and the reason I bought this one is because of the tonal verstatility, rare color, name, feel, comfort, just everything that makes a Fender Strat a Fender Strat. For overall impression I give it a nine, it is not perfect, but I don't think there is a perfect guitar. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: It's a normal Stratocaster that comes with all the things a newbie needs to Start. It has 21 frets, don't know what specific types of frets it is since I've only been playing since I got it. Has a practice amp that has distortion and a volume and bass and treble controls. It has 1 volume and 2 tone controls. I play metal and rock type stuff, I'd much rather have a V but this is what I got, I'm poor. // 8

Sound: It doesn't suit my style at all but it can sound good if you set the amp and volume just right. If you have the distortion on the amp off and have it set to clean, it sounds okay, but distortion sucks ass. It makes a lot of noise and buzz in anything past the 4 on the guitar volume or 3 on amp volume. The bass control on the amp makes the bass strings sound louder and mostly the same (slight buzz when set to 10 though), but the treble control makes the thin strings sound terrible. The strings sound, instead of clean and rich and smooth like they should sound, give of more buzz and noise that anything else except chords. That's another thing, when you play a chord with 4 or more strings sounding at once it gives bad buzz and noise. This guitar sucks when it comes to sound. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't really know much about this, but as far as I know, the guitar is perfect, seems to go out of tune quickly though. Strings are a lot looser than they should be. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well, it is surprisingly very dependent. It's gotten so many bumps but still sounds abut the same, just as bad as always. But the straps sucked. First they kept coming off, then they broke. I bought a new set from Fender and they stay on since they are much thicker. // 7

Overall Impression: As I said before, I like playing metal/rock oriented stuff. Matches in no way at all. I've been playing since I got it on christmas. I wished I asked what would be a good beginning guitar for somebody who likes playing metal, I'm sure they wouldn't tell me this guitar would be good. Oh well if it got stolen or something then I would get a better guitar. I love the fact that I can learn to play guitar with it, but that's about it. I don't really like Strats anyway. Wish it was better sounding on distortion. // 6

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: snakeyes9510, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Gary Bennet Music

Sound: This guitar sounds very good. It has a very nice clean sound, and when hooked up to an amp with a pedal (I use a Ibanez Weeping Demon for wah and Danelectro Fab Metal Distorion) this guitar can really pack a punch, even for metal/punk. This guitar is a very good Mexican made instrument, if it haven't said so on the neck, I would have presumed it was an American made. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up perfectly out of the shop. The action was fairly low and very easy to play on the neck. Pickups were excellent and everything was fastened tightly and solid. No complaints what so ever here. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It hasn't died on my bands guitarist ever, no problems with anything. None of the hardware has or will ever fall off by the looks of it now. Definately usable without a backup. Our guitarist has even fallen off stage with this guitar and just stood back up and began to play while in the crowd. It did suffer a small dent on the bottom of the body but other than that, it's perfect! // 10

Overall Impression: This isn't my guitar, but I have played it and the guitarist in my band uses it every gig. We play classic rock, rock, and punk and this guitar is a perfect match. This guitar definately surpasses any of the others I have played including Squier, Ibanez, Epiphone, and Yamaha. The best thing about this guitar is that it's so easy to play! Everything is set up perfect on it and it sounds wonderful. Maybe a humbucker would have been a nice change for the heavier songs instead on 3 single coils and 2 which are in close to the same position. But the bridge pickup gets a good solid rock tone and sound from it. Great guitar overall. // 9

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: punkgtrst096, on november 09, 2012

Features: Not sure what year it was made in (got it on ebay) but it looks brand new. It has 21 frets, 5-way pickup selector, one volume knob and two tone knobs - one for the middle pickup, one for the neck. 3 pickups, one bridge, one middle, one neck. Also has an alder body, and is very light. Tremelo bridge. // 10

Sound: It suits my music style very well. I play punk stuff, hardcore, and mabye some alternative in there somewhere. The clean sound is very nice, on any pickup, and the distortion is great too, but I still prefer the humbucker distortion, and this guitar lacks that. It's not really noisy, but there is a slight buzz when using only one pickup (neck alone, middle alone, or bridge alone). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar looks nice, no flaws really. The neck is great (maple), and it's easy to move up and down on it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could definately withstand playing live. It's Fender quality, why wouldn't it? This guitar is definately built to last. The strap buttons are nice, they wouldn't crap out on you. I'd take it on a gig, but I'd still bring my other guitar, just because it's got a different pickup configuration (Les Paul - 2 humbuckers). // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great match for anyone who plays punk, or pop-punk. For the metal, I'd go with something with a humbucker, mabye a Fat Strat. I've been playing for a year now, I own an Epiphone Les Paul Special II (great guitar)and a Fender Frontman II 25R. If my Strat was stolen, I'd probably buy a new one, particulary black with rosewood fretboard. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Strat_Monkey, on november 09, 2012

Features: Year: The guitar's one of the old Korean made Squiers, and I can't find anyway of dating Korean Squiers/Fenders. Frets: 21. Body Style: Traditional Strat. Bridge: STandard string thru body Strat bridge, with a place for a tremolo bar, but no bar. Controls: Master Volume, Neck Pickup Tone, Middle Pickup tone, 5-way Switching. Pickup configuration: SSS (Three songle coils). The guitar's body and neck are both fairly durable (I know this for certain, as I threw it across my room on one occasion). However, the finish has cracked around the ears (which I here is pretty common for Fenders), and the top strap pin has pulled out redpeatedly, so I had to use superglue in order to re-affix it to the body. // 6

Sound: I can do most things that I want to do with this guitar, as I mainly play heavy metal with the gain channel on. However, the clean tone is pretty awful, so on the occasions when I want to play clean I usually unplug the guitar and play like that rather than listen to the clean tone. I use a Fender amp, so you'd think it would work well with this guitar, but it doesn't. The guitar does have a fairly good variety of sounds, but that doesn't save it from the useless clean tones. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The saddles were ridiculously tight when I bought the guitar, though it was second-hand, so that may not have been the fault of the factory. Also, as I mentioned earlier, there was no tremolo, though that again may have been the fault of the previous owner. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Fortunately my band's not progressed to live shows yet, so I've not been forced to use this guitar live. Hopefully I'll have a new guitar by the time we start gigging, as I do not trust this one at all. The wires under the lead jack have been fixed professionally twice now, but still come lose at the first sign of movement when playing. The strap buttons are unreliable and have a tendency to suddenly spring out, and since the tuners don't lock the guitar goes out of tune very, very easily, epsecially when using the tremolo bar. // 4

Overall Impression: If this guitar was stolen or lost (how the hell do you lose a guitar anyway) I'd buy another Strat, but make it a Fender this time, the extra cash is worth it to avoid the hassle, and the burnt fingers that come from having to resolder various wires almost every week. // 6

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Stratmaster69, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Mothers Music

Features: It is a Mexican Standard Stratocaster made in (I'm guessing but not really sure) 2000. It's got 21 frets an alder body and maple neck, 3 single coil pickups, 5 way selector 1 volume, 2 tone controls, and a tremello bar. And it came with a gig bag. It is finished in a classic white laquer. // 8

Sound: I play mostly punk and alternative rock and it suits me perfect, although I have a really really shitty amp so it doenst sound great right now but the amp I run it through at the guitar store where I bought it sounded fucking awesome especially with chorus and distortion effects. Although I like the sound of a humbucker more I couldnt afford one so I whent for this but I was not at all dissapointed. Also this guitar is very versatile in tones even with my crappy amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The neck is just perfect for my hands and it is easy to move up and down on really fast and problem free. The finish is a classic white and almost looks like kind of a creamy color just like Jimi Hendrix's Strat he played in Woodstock 69 it is one beautiful guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very very durable trust me it's survived almost being run over when my stupid sister decided to take it in the back of her friends truck and pretend to play then dropped it onto the road and another car barely missing it and when I picked it up there was nothing at all wrong with it at all only a little mark made on the back of the cover over the tremello springs which I washed off with some soap. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a kickass guitar, but if you can afford it I really suggest getting an American Strat and not a Mexican but its still worth every penny. If it were lost or stolen I would deffinitly buy it again if I couldn't afford an american. // 8

Purchased from: Ben Jacks Music, Bentonville AR

Features: I bought the guitar in July, 2004, so I haven't had much time with it, only a few months. 21 frets, it could use some more though. I have the white top as pictured, and Its holding up fine. The body is grooved to fit the ribs and not dig into them while playing standing up, unlike the Telecaster. It has the 3 main pickup selector Switch and in between each is a mixed sounding selection. I'm not sure about the tuners, I don't know how to tell if they are locking or not. I got a gig bag and cable with the guitar. I also got some Fender picks. Warning: do not but light picks. They sound funny and break very easily. // 8

Sound: The guitar suits my style very well. I play blues, jazz, classic rock, chords, anyhtning you can think of. It even does ok with reggae. I have an Ibanez amp (I have no idea why) and I can't afford any affects. The only thing I think would be great for it is a Wah pedal, but every guitar needs a wah. It is a little bit noisy, but that may be my amp. The distortion is great. For blues I would suggest turning the bass up all the way and seeting it on the last position on the selector Switch. This guitar can do just about anything. If you carefully place the selector Switch between 2 settings and do bends and stuff liek that, it wails! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It is easy take apart, easy maintenance, and it doesnt have any plaws. Except I kinda cracked the pickguard. But that was my bad! Oh, and the plastic they put over the pickguard to protect it before it is sold is a bitch to get off. There is still some under my volume control. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing, with the exception of good strings and if you have the tendancy to slam your guitar into things on stage (like I sometimes yearn to do). The hardware seems like it will last and the strap buttons are solid. I would depend on it. I would not use it on a gig without a backup, but thats because I break strings when I play sometimes and in case I do get the urge to smash the guitar to bits in a fit of extasy. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar and I would suggest buying any Fender products. They have been around a long time and are very trustworthy. The only thing I wish it had was more frets. I would also like to challenge Fender to make a guitar with a built in Wah. I would also like to offer to be a test pilot for it. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: i<3guitar, on november 09, 2012

Features: I have a brand new guitar made in Mexico. This is the 2nd bes kind you can get, American being the best. The only dfferences between the two is the type of wood and how well it was put together. With the purchase they gave me a free cord and sticker. But hey I'll take what I can get. I have standard pickup positions. I do prefer double pick-ups though for a more deep hard-rock Led Zepplin & Metallica kind of sound. // 8

Sound: This guiatr can give u any sound according to what you like. This specific guitar has more of a Red Hot Chilie Peppers sound, but that can all be ajusted by switching pick-ups. I can't afford an amp. I'm waiting till christmas, so I don't really know how well it will sound. The guiatr has a very wide range of sounds like I said it can all be ajusted. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was set up nicly and nothing is loose, rusted, ect. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is definately able to withstand live playing. But even if I did have a live gig pff I wish I would always bring a backup. The finish hasn't worn off yet, altough I've only had it for a few months. // 8

Overall Impression: I play every style of music. I like to mix it up, playing the same thing over n overgets boring to me. I'm into everything. I listen to alot of punk rock and "classic rock". I also listen to rap and I love to hear some local bands like emaline and blood spilled roses. You can check these bands out at www.purevolume.com they would greatly appreciate it. // 8

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: This amazing guitar was made in Mexico. I know everyone wants American-made instruments, but Mexican made is still good. It has 21 frets, and is made of rosewood. It's neck is maple, and it has a satin finish. Of course it has the Strat body style. It has a volume knob and two tone knobs. It has pretty good features. // 8

Sound: I play a hard rock, alternative, some punk, that kind of thing, and this Strat fits my style well. I use it with a Marshall MG30DFX and a DigiTech Hot Head Distortion pedal. It's not very noisy, only when both tone knobs are turned up to 10. It has a nice clean sound. It fits all sorts of technique, slides, bending, hammer ons, pull offs, and all the rest. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has a nice layout, and is very well set up. The pickups were adjusted nicely, everything is in its proper place, and the only flaw I found is the input is very loose. Another flaw was that the knobs were in the wrong place. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does withstand live shows, and it seems like it will last me for a while. The strap buttons are pretty solid. It is a dependable guitar, but I still would have a backup on a gig. It has a nice finish, and everything is pretty nice. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar for any style of music, it's very flexible, any type of rock/blues it can handle. I play mostly rock, and it fits that style well. I've been playing for 3 years, this was my first electric guitar. If it was lost, I would probably buy another one. I love it's flexibility and its design, and I hate the loose input. It's a great guitar, and I recommend it to anyone, beginner or advanced. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: flea214, on november 09, 2012

Features: My guitar was made in 2002 (it says on the serial number) and it was made in Mexico (2nd best gutiar making company in my opinion). I am not really sure what kind of wood it's made 'cause I am kinda new in the guitar world. It's got a 5 way pickup selector which is kinda nice except that when I strum my hand accidentally hits the fretboard. But it's not their fault if I strum that way. The best part about this guitar is its feel, the feel is the kind of feel only Fender guitars can make. It feurures one of the fastest fretboards ever! Anyway I got it for $300 second hand with a brand new hardcase and missing tremolo stick or whatever you call that thing you put in the whammy bar. Really good dealy for a Fender. // 10

Sound: It has the Red Hot Chili Peppers sound which sounds great 'cause RHCP is one of my all time favorite bands (I even got a pepper strap). But I haven't got an amp yet but it sounds really good connected to other stuff like the radio or a karaoke machine. It's kinda good except the sound the 1st string makes is kinda weak. But the rest sounds ok so it deserves a 4. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The prevoius owner of this guitar kept it like gold! I mean when I got this guitar there was only one scratch on it and it was made in 2002. And the scratch is barely visible it took me weeks to find it. The only problem was the thigny for the whammy bar was missing. But yet again it's not the fatories fault if the prevoius owner lost it. And the other problem I could spot was that the plastic was hard to get off. I was the second owner and I can still spot bits of plastic on stuck on the screws and tone knobs. This guitar came in great but ti was also missing three screws for the pickguard. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar rocks. I mean I never threw this guitar around or dropped it but the design is its made to last. One of the reasons why I bought a hardcase was I wanted to keep my guitar looking brand new even though it isn't. You should have seen my brothers face when I told him it was second hand. This guitar will withstand live playing anytime and since I this is my first and only electric guitar I have no choice but to go to a gig without a backup. The strap buttons are solid. It seems a little loose when I got it but little adjustment from the screwdriver was all it needed. But since its 3 years old it gets a 5. // 10

Overall Impression: Best gutiar I could get with a price budget of $300 since I couldn't afford a brand new one I opted for a second hand. This guitar rocks I would buy it again if it was stolen. But I would desire the guitar everyone wants the Gibson Les Paul (my friend bought one for $200 off a drug addict). But I couldn't afford but nonetheless a Mexican Fender gutiar rocks for the price range! // 10

Purchased from: Restoration Hardware

Sound: I play everything from old Zeppelin and AC/DC to Atreyu and Mewithoutyou. The 5-way pickup selector Switch is versatile and can give anything from a punchy high sound to a metallic sound perfect for power chords. Stock, it was a bit difficult to find the right sound, but after I modified with Fender noiseless pickups, the sound came through like crazy. I would however suggest using a different amp with this guitar. The dinky little Fender SP10 just doesn't cut it for anything except practice. And it has a shite overdrive channel. I now use a Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce and a Marshall Guv'nor pedal and that has been working well for me. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Wow, here is where the problem is. The finish has begun to fracture on the back of the neck where the fingerboard connects with the neck. Not cool, since my brother's Squier (2 years older than mine) doesn't have the same problems. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I very rarely play live, but I do wish I had a backup sometimes. Or at least another guitar. The strap that came with the guitar was a little weak, so I swapped it for a leather Levy's strap. No problem with the buttons. // 6

Overall Impression: The thing here is that Fender basically took a Strat, put a different-shaped headstock on it, and knocked $250 off of the price. From what I understand, there were also a number of these guitars produced in black with a humbucker at the bridge position, mine is a red one with 3 single-coils. This is a guitar for the absolute beginner. It's great value for the money, seeing as how it lists for about $50 less than a Squier (and I got it for less than that) and at the end of the day, it's still a Fender. If you've been playing for a while, you could do better than this. // 6

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: hendrix1194, on november 09, 2012

Features: It was made in 2003 which was when I bought it, made in Mexico. 21 frets, rosewood fretboard, neck is maple, body is alder, it's obviously a Strat styled body, the bridge is srandard tremolo, it had a 3-way selector which I switched out for a 5 way. 2 tone and 1 volume controls, I replaced the tuners, with sperzel locking, I also changed the standard pickups in it to a set of Fender Vintage noiseless. I also got a hardcase with it. // 9

Sound: I play blues on it. I use it with a Fender Blues Junior and a Randall RG100SC, it has a great clean and a bright distortion, before I swaped the pickups which was about a year after I bought it, I loved the sound in it. But now it is even better. The tonal variety is great for single coils, it can play basically, anything except your hard rock or metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up great excewpt for the action, which I changed anyway. Pickups were perfect. The only floor was that the volume knob fell off after a week, I took it and he replaced it for free. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I played a show at school with it, and it did withstand live playing, the hardware has lasted, I put dunlop straplocks on. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this thing. It is my favourite guitar, and I play it everyday. I like everything about it. Espacially the brown sunburst finsih which looks great. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Bluejay451, on november 09, 2012

Features: Well, it's your basic Strat. It's fairly new, I bought it in 2005. Made in Mexico. A lot of people really want the American Fenders, which is understandable, but the Mexican ones are excellent quality, and almost 600 dollars cheaper. I originally wanted a blue one, but I saw the sunburst and couldn't help myself. Just gorgeous. I believe the body is alder and neck maple. I went for the maple fretboard. It's got the standard Fender tuners, Strat-style floating bridge, 21 frets. 3 single-coil pickups, 5-way selector, 1 volume and two tone knobs. Can't really argue much with the features, though tone for the bridge pickup would have been nice, and I personally would rather have a HardTail bridge. // 9

Sound: This guitar is great. The stock pickups sound pretty damn good, though I wouldn't mind an upgrade. You get those nice, bright, punchy single-coil tones. The bridge pickup delivers a sharp twang, the middle a glassy, smooth tone, and the neck a fuller, bassier tone. Combing the middle pickup with either delivers a sort of "quacky," more mellow tone. I love the middle/neck, don't care much for the middle/bridge. You lose the bite of the bridge pickup, but it doesn't thicken up enough to make up for it. No noisier than any other single-coil pickups which is to say, it'll hum a bit, but I never really notice it unless I stop and think to listen for it. I play blues and blues-rock, and this thing is a damn good match. I run it through a Boss Blues Driver and sometimes a Dunlop Original Crybaby into a clean Fender FM-65R (which is a damn good amp, especially for the money) and the sound is bright, punchy, and crystal clear. I mainly use the neck pickup, sometimes the middle/neck, and it delivers the bassy, full sound I look for, although honestly, sometimes I prefer a thicker tone than single-coils can really give you. Cleans are gorgeous, with a nice overdrive it really kicks. Great-sounding guitar, with lots of variety due to the 5-way selector. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up was pretty decent. I've since adjusted the pickups and everything to my specifications, although I haven't touched the action, that was excellent off the shelf, low but not too low. The finish is beautiful, glossy, not one chip or flaw I could see when I bought it. Not much to say here, honestly. I definitely think the finish will last. It does show fingerprints easily, though. Gets a 9 though ain't that tough to wipe it down! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't really play live, but I don't think this guitar would fail me. It's a very solid piece of wood. The finish is thick, doesn't chip easily, and hasn't rubbed off anywhere in the 8 months or so I've owned it. The strap buttons are solid, though strap-locks could never hurt. I've never had the strap come off while playing though. The tuners are pretty excellent, I think these really stand out. Holds tune for days, and on the stock tuners! I honestly can't afford a backup guitar right now, but I'd be confident in this thing. My only concern would be the freak accidents that can happen to any guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues, and this is an excellent match, some would say the best! Although there are days when I wish it had humbuckers instead of single-coils, there are others where I really appreciate the single-coil sound. I've been playing for two years, now, and have not regretted this purchase once. This was my first electric guitar, and although it won't be my last, I'll always hold on to this one. I love the bright clear tone, and its a very comfortable guitar. I hate the fact that it doesn't have that '70s-style oversized headstock. // 9

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Godzilla1969, on november 09, 2012

Features: This Strat was made in 2004, in Mexico, and It has 21 frets, like most Fender guitars. My Mex Strat has an alder body with a bolt on maple neck, and it is finished in arctic white. Strat style tremolo bridge, 2 tone knobs, 1 volume, 5-way pickup selector, non-locking tuners. // 10

Sound: I have a Gibson Les Paul, so I wasn't in an immeadiate need of a new guitar, but to fit my style (Radiohead, RHCP, Beatles) I thought that it wouldn't hurt to have a guitar with a whammy bar and some single coils on hand. I am using my new Strat with a Fender Bassman Reissue (used) with a Radial Engineering Tonebone Classic Tube Overdrive pedal, a Boss NS-2, a Crybaby 535Q, and an MXR Pase 90. While using it, I get some typical single coil buzz (especially on the brige pickup), but seein as I am going to put a Seymour Duncan HotRails pickup into the bridge, it should take care of a certain amount of that. Unsurprisingly, compared to my Les Paul, the distortion sounds a little weak, but I actually prefer the clean tone of strats to Pauls. Aside from most metal and hard rock, this guitar is very versitile, and you can tweak the sound by installing different pickups, using pedals, or using a different amp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I did have to lower the bridge by putting two more springs into the back, and the strings were a little rusty upon bringing it home, but those wwere the only quality issues that I had. The finish is beautiful, the pickups were adjusted fine, the frets are filed to where they aren't cutting up my fingers, and the tuning pegs are on nice and tight. // 8

Reliability & Durability: When I first started playing, I had a Squier, which held up pretty well considering how long and hard I played it, so I am expecting a very durable and reliable guitar from Fender. The hardware is of good quality and seems durable, and I haven't had any problems with the strap buttons. Due to the fact that for distortion oriented songs I would have to opt for my Les Paul, I would prefer to use my Strat with a backup on hand, but I could definately get by if it was all I had. Any guitar's finish will fade away someday, but the finish looks pretty thick to me, so I don't think I'll have any worries. // 9

Overall Impression: For my alternative/funk rock/classic Rock style, a Strat matches what I play quite well considering that Johnny Greenwood, John Frusciante, and George Harrison all used a Strat at least one point. I have been playing for about four years. I am pretty sure I would buy a new one if my Strat was stolen from me, but I just wish it had a Floyd Rose (which you can get them with, but for an extra $100). Overall this is a great guitar for a beginner and an experienced player alike. // 9

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: GibsonKokonuts, on november 09, 2012

Features: This is a nice beginner guitar that was made in Mexico. It has 21 frets and the neck and scale fits all sizes. Mine is black with a white pickguard. Of course the cutaway lets you reach all the frets. The string-thru body gets annoying when you're trying to string it. It has one volume and 2 tones with a 5-way selector. It has three pickups that give a kind of feedbackish sound. Just like Hendrix! All the tuners are on the top of the head just like basically all fenders. I got no case with it so it has taken a little beating. // 7

Sound: The Fender Strat is a classic beauty. But it doesn't always get those sounds you want. I like to play some clean metal, rock, and a little bit of acoustics. You need a nice amp to get those sounds. I got an old Roland 25 watt and it ain't working so good. The feedback is awesome when you want it. But when you want to get rid of it, it can be a little tricky. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Hello Mexico! I don't think it was assembled above average. I was disappionted with that. The pickups are OK. Everything was in spot. But there was just not that quality that you want from a guitar. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Sure, play it on a gig. What do I care? But! If you wanna get better sound from a Strat upgrade to a nicer one. The cap to the 5-way selector keeps falling off! I put a strap lock system on it because if you turn the right way it falls off. I don't really think of it as a dependable guitar. But I think it will last. // 6

Overall Impression: Now don't get me wrong. This is a nice guitar. Just if your looking for a top notch this isn't the one. If your a beginner and kinda new to guitar. You'll love it! It's easy to play and it has dot inlays so it is easier to tell where the 12th fret is. I love the 5-way selector but it is just a little to noisy. But it doesn't stop me from rockin' to a good riff. I thing this would rock with some better pickups. Other than that, it is a nice guitar! // 8

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: blue_strat, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Westside Music Centre

Sound: Classic smooth Strat sound. Neck on low tone gives the great bluesy tone, turn up the gain and you get Sunshine of Your Love, while high tone gives a funk tone. Middle pickup is great for chords. Bridge is very bright and snappy (no tone control) and is great for Voodoo Child-esque solos. I usually have it on mid + bridge with mid on 7 or 8 tone. I use it through a Boss OS-2, a Crybaby and a Zoom G2. 1u into a Fender 15 watt. Sounds amazing. Can cry, sing and scream. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Great setup, though it takes about a week to break in a Strat. Black finish is perfect, doesn't show up fingerprints as badly as you'd think. Note to others: mine came with a sticker on the backplate. See if the plastic covering is still on before attempting to remove the sticker! It could save you a lot of trouble. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a proper Fender, not a knock-up job, so it can withstand most of the inevitable wear and tear, but as with any guitar, you need to take care of it for it to outlive you, look how many strats Hendrix got through! The hardware is good quality and the strap buttons very solid. I had to install straplocks on my Squier because the buttons were too short and the strap easily fell off after a while, but the Fender is safer. I probably wouldn't take my only other electric to a gig as a backup as it is f--ked up. Finish is durable enough. // 10

Overall Impression: Strats are famous for matching almost any style you throw at them, and mine is no exception. Blues, jazz, rock and metal are the best (very fast neck) and it excels at each. I've only been playing for about 2 years, but I know a good guitar when I play one, and this is a great guitar, it suits my playing style perfectly, and if a guy nicked it I would be on him in seconds with various interesting surgical instruments. However, although there is a whammy unit on strats, don't divebomb on them! All it does is pull them out of tune. If you want to to an EVH, get a Floyd-rose equipped guitar or a Yamaha, they're pretty good at staying in tune. A little whammy vibrato is good on Strat's, but Hendrix spent a lot of his time tuning. If you divebomb too much, the bridge will break away from the body and smack you in the face. You have been warned. // 9

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: My Strat was made in 1989 in Korea. It's got a 5-way selector, 2 tone knobs, and one volume knob. I've had for pretty much before I even existed. It's got 21 frets and the neck isn't too thick or thin, it's just right. When we first got it, or when my dad got it, it came with a small practice amp, a gig bag, a 16 ft cable, and some picks. If it came with a whammy, we probably lost it somewhere along the line. Even the strings it came with were pretty great, I mean we only changed them once in 18 years, and that was about five months ago. // 10

Sound: I like playing the blues and some classical rock, but this guitar will play almost anything. It's incredibly versatile. I still use the same amp is came with, which is a Fender Squier 15. I also use a DigiTech RP400A effects pedal. And it can scream. The only problem is sometimes you can't control the feed back, but I'm pretty sure that's because my amp cause it's falling apart, but still sounds pretty amazing. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action wasn't too high or low, but I'd rather it have been a bit lower. The pickups were just fine, I've never layed a finger on them. Except for the screw in the bottom of the guitar that keeps coming out (which we just replace with a bigger one that would hold), I haven't had any technical or set-up problems. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand WWIII. I'm not kidding. I've dropped this guitar everywhere. I run into it everyday at night. I've even fell asleep on it a couple of times. The finish still hasn't worn off, despite all the coke that gets spilled on it. I'd probably take it to a gig with out a back up. The only thing is that I'm pretty sure the neck is going to completely fall off within the next five years, because I do not have a stand, so I just leave it lying next to my bed (which sucks cause if you wake up in the middle of the night, you think theres an arm coming up from under your bed), there are cracks coming down from the neck to the body. They aren't deep, it's probably just the finish cracking. // 9

Overall Impression: If I could add anything to this guitar, it'd be that missing whammy bar. If could exchange this guitar for any other one, even a newer model or a Les Paul, I'd keep it. I'm definately attatched to it. My favorite part is the neck, it's lightning fast. Definately a keeper. // 9

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: awsomeguitarguy, on november 09, 2012

Features: My guitar is made in Taiwan and it has 21 frets with I think jumbo frets. The finish is black with a white pickguard, and obviously it has a Strat style. There are 2 tone control and 1 volume and a switch that changes the distortion a bit. They are Standard and not so good pickups. The tuners are non-locking. The guitar was paid at $70 if you subtract all the other stuff paid for (it included a case, cable, 2 picks, tuner, amp, book, stand, strap). // 7

Sound: It does not really suit my music style. I play metal and Metallica, AC/DC, Led, sabbath, etc. and this guitar is not good at all with distortion so I can't really use it for stuff other than like, current alternative (Green Day, Fall Out Boy, hawk nelson, kinda Switchfoot, etc). I'm just using it with the amp that it came with now, but I used my neighbors distortion universal control that has almost every distortion control out there, and it sounded like crap. It is mondo noisy with any bit of reverb or gain, the most annoying buzz you will ever hear in your life. It can kinda do pinch harmonics, bends are fine unless you do huge one, and the string breaks, everything is kinda good in that area. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was not set up in the factory very well. The pickups are adjusted a bit bad cause the sound is on the down side. Top is fine, bridge is fine. The hugest problem aabout this thing is that, I've had this guitar for 6 months and the hole where the screw goes in for theknob where you hook your strap is now a round circle and whenever I stand up and use the strap the whole strap button comes off! Then when I try to put the screw back in, I wont stay in! // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar wouldn't withstand Live playing unless it was for 5 minutes. The hardware doesnt't and isnt lasting! Like I said before, the strap buttons come off and never go back on because the screw-hole was made in a bad way and now the wooden screw-like hole is now "sanded" and is round and smooth instead of spiral-ey. I wouldn't really use in a gig and especially without a backup. The finish does not wear off here. // 6

Overall Impression: Mot a good match for the style of music I play. I have been playing for almost 10 months now and I just own the other gear that the thing came with. I didn't buy this, my cheapo parents bought it from BJ's for Christmas for $117! But I wished they had asked, "is this going to actually make our son feel like we love him? is this a crappy guitar? is this actually a real guitar?" etc. If it was stolen or lost I would buy something else, I would buy an Ibanez RG370DXGP or a B.C. Rich Beast it, or a Gibson SG. The only thing I love is that the thing, other than the strap butons, is almost indestructable. I hate it that the strap buttons break, cause now I can't get it with a strap until I get my Ibanez, and I have to do some Live playing this summer, but I can't use it now. I compared this to almost every other good-ish guitar on the planet, and once again, I didn't choose this, my cheap parents got it. I wish it had better strap buttons, pickups, and a better looking body shape, this is definately not the guitar for me. // 6

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Karlboy, on november 09, 2012

Features: Well, I own a '02 Strat (Providing I read the serial right) and it's a Mexi-built. It's 21 frets, two-piece neck, but the fret board is the neck itself, maple. It's solid body too. The bridge is pretty Standard, not great for any work on the whammy bar. But, if need be, cram a block of wood in the back, intonate it, and it stays in tune pretty well. It's got S/S/S pickups with a 5-way selector Switch. The 60-cycle hum gets a tad annoying, but with a noise-gate on it, the thing stays silent. // 8

Sound: I play a wide variety of music. Metal, prog, blues, jazz, etc. My Strat does an amazing job for all of these. Many people find that it's not a great metal guitar. Pfft. As long as you've got good distortion, and you know how to use the pickups to their full potential, it works great. As for anyone who disagrees with me, look at Impellitteri and Malmsteem, two of the fastest shredders on the planet. For blues, select the middle pickup, round off the tone, the guitar gives you such a warm tone, put the tone to 10, you get a nice jazzy, chirpy sound. Play around with the pickups a bit, find your favourite tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As for how it came, the shape was fine. However, the bridge popped up after a while (I'm not completely sure whether it was my fault or the manufacturer's). It got me a bit of a Floyd-Rose thing going on. The tuning kinda sucked, but surprisingly, the guitar made some nice squeals. Action. Not greeeat, but not bad. I can still play really fast and stuff. However, the neck is ridiculously fast (at least on mine). If you plan on playing fast, get a maple neck, with just some laquer or varnish on it. I give it a 7 in this category. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I give this thing a 10 in this category, no question about it. This thing has fallen off chairs, slammed into numerous desks, tables, walls, etc. To prove its durability, I dropped it purposesly in front of a friend. I've used this Strat for probably 4 years now. I'm wreckless with it, but it's fine for the guitar. It sounds just as great as when I first played it. This guitar should come with at least a 10 year warranty, because if it's in good (tonal) shape and I own it, it'll probably last you a good while. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, like I said. I play metal, blues, jazz, prog, etc. My Strat can Switch between them quickly and smoothly. I've been playing guitar since I was 8. I've played many guitars, but the Strat has to be one of the most versitile for the price range (and overall). I play it through a Marshall AVT50 and a Vox Pathfinder 15R, with a GNX3000 (DigiTech) through the FX loop. It sounds amazing. If it got stolen, I'd probably never get over it. I'd just burst out into tears. I'd probably not buy another one though, just because it wouldn't be the same. It's a sentimental thing, I'd have to say it's one of my favourite and cherished (though not taken great care of) possesions. However, the only things I'd like on it would be a better bridge, a humbucker on the back, (but I'm too lazy to get it) actually, that's a problem about Mexi-builts, you've gotta drill a new hole if you want a new pickup (depending on what kind of pickup it is). The last thing I'd like on it would be more frets. It needs more frets. But, it's not something that truly affects the sound, durability and playability of this amazing guitar. // 9

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: jeffo46, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Features: Mine is a 2006 MIM Standard with a beautiful Sunburst finish and a rosewood fretboard. The body is made of Alder and I believe that since 2006, the bodies and necks for the MIM standards are made in the USA, while the guitars as a whole are assembled in Mexico. Mine has the Vintage style bridge with a 5 way pup Switch and 3 single coil pups.I've since changed the pickguard to that of a White pearloid and installed Graph-Tech Bridge Saddles and Fender Locking Tuners. Mine also came with a heavy duty Fender gig bag which I've also gotten rid of and have since switched over to a hard shell case. // 10

Sound: I've read reviews here people are bitching that you can't play metal with one of these. Tall Dave Murray or Yngvie Malmsteen or Ritchie Blackmore for that matter. This is the most versatile guitar ever made and if you cannot use it properly, them you need to spend more time learning how to play. This guitar is adept for any kind of music no matter what style. Thsi is the Standard by which all others are judged as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't be seen playing anything else. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Mine was a display model so I had to make a few adjustments, plus as I stated above, I also did a few modifications to it also. The Standard bridge saddles that come with this are not the best and tend to get wobbly, hence the need for Graph-Tech saddles which helped to improve tuning stability and increase the tone. The pups were adjusted just fine without any need to modify them at all, while the only other thing I really needed to do was a slight intonation check and truss rod adjustment. Other than that and the mods that I mentioned, I'm sure that this would've been just fine coming right out of the box. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have owned this for close to 2 years now and have used this at many shows as the only guitar and have not needed a backup guitar at all. Matter of fact, in the near future, I do intend on getting another one preferably in the Artic White finish.This si a well made quality instrument that will withstand the test of time providing that you take care of it, which shouldn't be a problem for me seeing as I baby all of my equipment. I'm not rich, so I do believe intaking very special care of what you have. My hat is off to Fender for upgrading a great guitar and keeping it at a very affordable price for thoswe of us on a low budget. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing now for over 36 years and my music is a mix of classic rock and 80's hair metal. If this were stolen or damaged, you bet your ass I would go out and get another one. This is my all time favorite guitar and as I stated, I do intend to get another one to add to my arsenal of six string Fender weaponry. I couldn't see myself playing anything else. the Fender Strat is the ultimate rock n'roll machine! // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: sg4ever, on november 09, 2012

Features: It's your typical Strat with all the basic features. I'm not sure about the year it was made as it was a gift. Mine has a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and 21 frets. The body is made from alder and it has the Vintage tremelo and the usual single coils. The tone controls include one master volume knob, a tone knob for the neck pickup, and a tone knob for the middle pickup. It has a black finish. As far as features go, it's satisfactory and not perfect because although it gives a versatile range of tones with what it has and has a nice layout for everything, I would like it if Fender would put a bridge tone knob on their Strats. // 9

Sound: As far as styles go it covers a lot of ground. I myself am into many styles including funk, jazz, swing, blues, rock, hard rock, alternative, and a little bit of metal. Now it doesn't handle very heavy distortion as well as some metal players would like and rightly so. It's not really designed for that. With being said, it has beautifully articulate and chimey tones that suit nearly everything from jazz to some hard rock. I'm currently running it through a Vox AD30VT which is not the best amp. It sounds good on the various setting I use though. The bridge pickup has a bright and biting chime to it. It sounds good for brit/pop jangle and twangy parts, but is also the best sounding pickup for distortion. The bridge/middle setting is good for cancelling hum and gives a mellower tone that's nice for distorted open chords and solos or lighter overdrive. The middle setting is nice for sparkly clean tones, but I don't really use it. The neck pickups sounds nice for blues because of it's full and rich sound. It has that SRV vibe going on when I Switch on my overdrive pedal. Overall the tones are pretty suited to anything from Clapton, Hendrix stuff to the alternative stuff of today, but it also pulls off nice tones for funk, jazz, and stuff like Brian Setzer. It's noisy with with lots of distortion, but I have a guitar with humbuckers for that. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was a little iffy when my friend still had it, but was well set-up when it was given to me. I can't really comment on the factory set-up as I didn't really experience it. The action is nice and low without being too low and there are no flaws on the guitar. The intonation is also very good. Everything is in good shape well set-up now so I'll give it a good rating. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems reliable enough. I've only played out with it once, but it handles well and feels tough whenever I play it. The strap buttons and hardware all look solid enough and looks like it will last. The tone controls do seem a little wimpy, but I take excellent care of my instruments. I would definitely use it when I gig depending on what music we play. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said, my taste in music is extremely broad. It duly would require two guitars to handle everything I enjoy. As far as the softer side of my tastes it handles them flawlessly. I use it primarily for jazz, funk, blues, and Brian Setzer stuff, but it also handles a lot of rock I like. It's no bother because it handles what my other guitar can't handle and my other guitar handles what this Strat can't handle. If were stolen I would cry, because I can't afford to buy another Strat and have it set-up as well as this one is set-up. I really don't hate anything about and like it the way it is. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: obeythepenguin, on november 09, 2012

Features: Standard Strat (year unknown, purchased 2008), made in Mexico, black finish w/maple neck. Standard S-S-S pickups and electronics. My only complaint here is the white pickguard -- I'd rather something darker, but fortunately that's replacable. // 8

Sound: Suits my style (mainly classic rock) perfectly -- obviously the classic "Strat sound" of Clapton, but it also does justice to some mainly-Gibson stuff like Boston. With the neck pickups and the right pedal settings -- currently Boss AC-3 -> Boss OS-2 -> amp -- it even works passably for what little I know on "Crazy Train". Never had any hum problems, but I use a solid-state amp, and usually play on fairly low volumes. Very bright sound, especially with the strings I use (Fender, but forget the specific brand). The pickups sometimes sound a little weak on hammer-ons and pull-offs, so it's a little tricky sometimes on things like "Layla". // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Maybe I'm slightly biased because this is the guitar I really learned to play on (I had a cheap knock-off before, but never got far with that one), but this has the nicest neck I've ever played. Action's just right, and the fingerboard is slightly convex, which gives it a great feel. I've played much more expensive guitars -- including a G&L -- that couldn't even come close to this. Bridge pickup was adjusted perfectly. Can't comment on the others; for a while I never used them (and had them screwed down), but I've since re-adjusted to approximately original height and they seem fine. I ended up peeling the laminate off the pickguard, but it didn't really tear until I took off a glued-on design I printed from my computer. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far it's been nearly indestructible. The strap sometimes pops off, but I have a cheap strap. I haven't played any electric gigs yet, but I would easily depend on this guitar (which is good, since it's my only electric). // 10

Overall Impression: The only thing I truly regret is not buying a better amp. I would prefer if it had a different color pickguard (probably dark blue or some metallic gray), but considering my biggest complaint in almost a year of near-continuous playing is purely cosmetic, I'd say it's worth it. I might buy a different guitar to complement this one -- possibly an electric/acoustic, or even something with nasty humbuckers for the heavier stuff I play -- but certainly never to replace it. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: aaronmcm99, on november 09, 2012

Features: This Fender was made in 2011, in USA, with the standard number of frets on a normal Fender Stratocaster, heavier than a normal fender, came with a wah-wah pedal, tuner, amplifier, and a notebook for songs. // 10

Sound: I like rock or any guitar oriented music, and this suits me perfectly, I use a standard amp, which is compatible with headphones, overdrive bass and loudness volumes equipped on it, with a lot of variety to play on it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is in perfect condition with no need for repairs of any sort. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Everything works great, except at times the tuning can go a little off after leaving it away for a good period of time which at times can be a little agitating but overall a good package. // 9

Overall Impression: A great match, I've been playing a good while, and this guitar is made for me, and I would never part with it, if it were stolen, I'd chase after the guy who stole it, because I really like it, and it coulnt be replaced, so go out and buy it! Its a great guitar, you wont regret it! // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: xsv, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This is a 2004 Stratocaster made in Mexico. It has 21 frets on a maple neck. The body is alder with 2 cutaways. 5-way selector, 1 humbucker, 2 single coil pickups, 1 volume knob, and one tone knob. // 9

Sound: I play mostly punk rock, classic, pop, and some post hardcore and seems to suit my style but I had to buy a Boss DS-1 Distortion to get the sound I wanted. I use a Fender Bassman 25R amp, and when I set the amp controls to the setting I like it sounds great. It's bright sounding but it puts back a lot of feedback on some amps. Finger bending on this guitar is simple and you can play chords really easy. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set perfet. It was low without any fret buzzing. The pickups were installed fine, no bridge or neck damage. The only flaw I didnt like was that the bridge was lifting a little bit and now its lifted a lot sort of and the strap buttons were loose but other than that it's great. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can withstand live playing, the hardware seems to last, I'm just worried about the brdige 'cause it's lifting. The strap buttons were tight at first, but now theyre loose and I wouldnt dare to do any flipping with it. I can depend on it and I think it would last a long time, but I wish the strap buttons and bridge were fixed. // 8

Overall Impression: For the kind of style I play, I'd much prefer a Gibson SG, but the Strat works fine and its alright. I've been playing for 2 years, and I own a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, Fender Bassman 25R, some really old Crate amp that was given to me, and a Yamaha RG. I love everything about it, but I really wish the strap buttons and bridge was fixed better. I love the 5-way selector cause you can really tell the difference in the sound. Well when I first bought it, I loved Strat style bodies, but now I love the SG body and now I compare this to the SG, and I wouldve much bought the SG. // 7

Purchased from: Guitar Centre

Features: This is a Fender Stratocaster made in 2009 in Mexico, 21 frets, maple neck with ebony fingerboard in a brown sunburst finish. The neck is very thin and allows for blistering solos, in contrast to the Telecaster, which is more of a rhythm guitar. The Standard volume and two tone controls are included, and this is possibly the best guitar for value. One thing which annoyed was that it didn't come with tension springs and a hard case. // 9

Sound: I play everything except metal, for which there is no better guitar than a stratocaster. It has a three single coil configuration which doesn't do too well for heavy distortion, but sounds great nonetheless, especially for cleans. I use a Crate gt 65/212 and this axe performs very well. The neck pickup is very rich, perfect for the blues. The middle pick up is great for cleans, and the bridge pickup provides a great treble sound. The only problem with it's sound is if you only use one pickup, then there's gonna be feedback. Nonetheless, this is very versatile, anything from Van Halen, Led Zeppelin to foo fighters will sound great on this guitar, just keep it away from metal. P.S. every guitar is different, some squiers can sound better than american strats. My sunburst Strat has a great tone, and sounds better than my friend's american deluxe ash strat. Also, thicker strings sound alot better than thin strings. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came set up extremely well from the factory. The pickups were a tiny bit too high, but that's just my opinion. No cuts or scrapes, the finish is beautiful, the action is nice and low on a thin neck. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This has withstood live playing on more than one occasion, the hardware hasn't faded a single bit, i use 11 gauge strings so i dont have to worry about string breakages, no dints, no flaws, half a year ownership and finish is still as beautiful as ever. The finish is quite thick, but not thick enough to dull out the tone // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is beautiful, sounds great and is extremely good value for money. I have an Epiphone les paul, as well as an Ibanez rg370dx, and i love this one the most. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: kfong03, on november 09, 2012

Features: This is my first electric guitar, and I've had it for more than 2 years, and it still looks like it's new, the finish is still great, it was made in Mexico, with 21 frets, a volume control and two tone controls. 5-way switch with three single-coils. Back then it was the perfect starting guitar for me, even though I was a noob. Even though it was sightly expensive at the time, if you can afford it, it's definitely a great guitar to have. // 9

Sound: I mostly play rock and classic, and though strats' don't give you a really acoustic sound, it's built for rock-the sound range is wide, whether you want crunchy sounds or the good old twangs, it's all there, sounds can range from sharp sounds to rich, fuller ones. Bascially in conclusion, Strats have more or less has all the sounds you would want in an electric guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish was smooth and flawless, the wood loks beautiful, and there are no cracks anywhere. Bridges, tuning pegs, neck construction, everything is very good. The strings are quite good, they're redurable and though they do eventually get out of tune, they don't go off tune often, so I'll give this full marks. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've performed with this guitar for a few times, and it can withstand the playing, strap buttons are solid, the hardware is durable, like I said earlier, it's still looks like as if I bought it yesterday. But in a really big gig, iwould prefer to have another spare guitar with me for a backup just in case. // 10

Overall Impression: Definitley a good buy for me, even though I like playing rock and classic, I try blues and other genres every now and then and this guitar certainly satisfies with its unique and wide sound range, I would compare this guitar with a Gibson Les Pauls, Telecaster and an Ibanez signature series, and if it were stolen I would certainly go buy another one, Strats are just so special you can't anything like it, except with another Strat of course! // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Phantom Thief, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Bentley Music

Features: This is a Mexican made, 2006 Standard Strat which I got about half a year ago. 21 jumbo frets with an Alder body and Maple neck and fretboard. The finish is a cherry-red finish, and the bridge is a synchronized tremolo. 3 knobs, volume, bridge tone and neck tone. 5-way pickup selector. Also came with a gig bag. It would be better if it came with a solid case. // 9

Sound: I play and listen to everything with the exception of country. The best thing about this guitar is simply it's adaptability. I can play pretty much anything on this guitar, from rock to blues. It sounds great with or without distortion, and the 5-way pickup selector gives a great range of tones. From the gritty bridge pickup to the bassy neck pickup, you name it, the Strat's got it. The only downside is the very annoying hum when selecting a single pickup on high distortion, though that could be caused by my amp. My practice amp is a cheap Bullet 150 from Fender as well, not the best amp in the world. I've noticed the hum is much less when I use it with a better amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not sure how the guitar was set up at the factory because the dude at the music shop redid everything for me when I got it. So no comments in that department. I have no complaints what'soever about the hardware though, the tuners, bridge, neck, pickups, everything is solidly built. The finish is also excellent, no flaws anywhere. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is excellent at live gigs, very reliable. It'll take any measure of bashing and jumping, though I haven't personally tried it, I'd bet my money on it. There is only one downside, which is the strap which, strangely, seems to give way when I'm sitting rather than when I'm standing. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the strap button or with the strap itself. The finish too is near perfect, I've accidentally bumped it into all kinds of surfaces, there's only one scratch on the back which is minute and would have been unnoticeable if I hadn't looked for it. At a live gig, I always have a backup, but I would trust it without one. The one fault I seem to get a lot is that the strings rust very quickly, but that's probably due to the humid climate I live in rather than the guitar itself. Haven't had the problem since I switched to Elixirs though. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is as versatile as I am, and to me it's my perfect match. I've been playing only slightly more than a year, but despite my relative lack of experience, this is still an excellent guitar to me. I have tried out many of my mates' guitars, including Ibanez, Jacksons, and Gibsons, but none of them impress me as much as my own Strat. I might be a little biased, but to me this is simply one of the best guitars in the world. The sheer versatility of it is amazing. You can get the single-note clarity that one expects from a Strat, or you can get a gritty and growling tone from it if you know how to tweak it right. If I were to lose it, I would definitely get another one, No Doubt about it. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: BartK, on november 09, 2012

Features: An ergonomic design with forearm and tummy bevels and better overall balance that made the guitar more comfortable to play. A "drop-in" pickguard and pickup assembly that made the Stratocaster substantially easier to mass produce, repair, and customize. A bolt-on neck that was less expensive to manufacture (the necks of one-piece guitars sometimes warped during production and the whole instrument would need to be discarded) and easier to service. The ability to produce new sounds not possible with other instruments, which in part inspired new musical genres like Surf and Hendrixian-style psychedelia. // 9

Sound: Its has a kool classic/rock sound, it kicks ass. It makes three types of sounds and it sounds pretty freakn' kool wiht a distortion pedal It gives you a old school rock sound tell you the truth first time I picked it up I felt like jimmi Hendrix, Great for playing Nirvana, Hendrix Metallica, Stones it's a great guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Get your guitar from Fender factory its quality material, it'll last a life time and there are zero flaws it just plain old kicks ass you'll love it. It wills last you your life, though you got to be a hard ass to play it you need to cherish and care for it and you got to play it all the time or else it gets messt up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Fender Strats are the most reliable axes on the market get it if your a serious player I depend on my Strat, and it's never let me down and it shouldn't let you down unless you treat it like a piece of crap. You'll love it and just don't let it sit around don't let anyone play around with it like a piece of crap, only those who are worthy. Are you worthy? // 9

Overall Impression: Its a quality guitar Lennon, Mayer, Bon Jovi, Clapton use the Strat and it's the best, make sure you get a distortion pedal, if your into metal and hardcore. It will satisfy all your needs. The price isn't a pain in the ass so it's a pretty good price for a pretty damn good axe I recomend you get it cause it will rock as hard as you want and it will satisfy all your needs. // 9

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Matt_Skratch, on november 09, 2012

Sound: I'm currently using my Strat with a 60W Guitar Research amp. It really sounds great on all setting and should primarily be used with little gain to moderate or high-mid gain. It sounds great for the musical styles I've tried on it, ex: punk, ska, clean, rock-pop, anything that isn't really hardcore. I do play a lot more hardcore punk stuff that this guitar is not built for. However, for warm/clean/rock/ and softcore punk, this is a beautiful sounding guitar with great highs and mid's and decent lows. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was ready to be played right out of the box even with the factory strings which last longer than I had expected. The pickups do not have any other replacemnts other than new Fender factory Strat Pickups which is what it comes with, so the pickups are top of the line for this guitar since its the only availible pickup. Everything on the guitar was crafted pertfectly and the bridge was set in with great Precision. I've had it for only a year and a half but but the only problem I've had with it so far is the input came a little loose so now it makes a almost unnoticable ticking sound which can be fixed. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played a few gigs and recorded with this guitar countless time and I can alway rely on it to work properly. It's built for great durability. After time that input does get loose, atleast on Strat I've seen that's been owned for over a year. Now, I haven't really dropped it yet but the occasional fumbling and small advancement to the ground has shown me that it isn't going to break it I drop it a few inches from the ground, plus it hasn't chipped or anything. Overall this guitar has a substantial durability. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of hardcore punk, Oi! music, and mosh music and Iit has came through for me in some areas but I'm still missing a lot of that overdriven sound that this guitar can't produce to meet high expectations. If it were lost and I earned enough money for another one I would mildly look around a bit just to make sure I can't find anything more suiting for the same price and if not I would re-buy it. Overall, and music style from clean to mild distortion is great for this guitar. // 8

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Chadzilla, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Bizzarre Guitar

Features: This guitar was made in Mexico and is the Roland Ready edition with the G2-K synthesizer pickup, as well as three single coils. It has a rosewood fingerboard with a maple neck and a beautiful finish. It is Strat style (obviously) and has 5-way selector with controls for the synth pickup as well as the single coils. Came with a gig bag, but I opted an extra $100 for a hard case. I had an Epiphone SG G100 before this, so this was quite an upgrade. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of cleans (reggae, RHCP types, alternative, chill and jam). It fits it perfectly and is an extremely versitile guitar. I play it acousticly as well as plugged in and never get tired of the sound. I am amazed every time I play it. I am using it with a Fender Cyber Twin amp, which is also extremely versitile. It doesn't seem too noisy except for the typical single coil noise and has a very bright sound. With the synth pick up hooked up to a synthesizer you can achieve the sound of any instrument by playing the notes on the guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well the guitar has a bit of fret buzz on the low E string, but I haven't gotten that set up yet (got the guitar for christmas so have had it for about a month). But other than that, the action was perfect and nice and low for ease of play. The pickup height was great and it sounds great. There are no flaws at all. The plastic was a pain to get off though. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I believe that this guitar can stand Live playing. I jam a lot with friends, and play the guitar every single day on my own for hours. I upgraded the strap buttons to strap locks just for further security. Fenders are known for durability, and the finish is very strong. I feel that I can totally depend on it, but I might bring my other guitar as a back up just if a string were to break. You don't want to be up there changing strings while your band is waiting. The finish is amazing and I don't think it would come off very easily unless it was intentional. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is a perfect match for my style of music (reggae, rhcp like, chill and jam). I have been playing for about 3 to 4 years and I love this guitar. I might want to have an American Strat in the future just for the sake of having the American name, but this guitar plays just as nice as an American made Strat. If it were stolen or lost I would be very upset and I would definetley buy another one or an American one. I love the ease of play and the great clean sounds that come out of it. I also think the white finish is beautiful. You can't beat a Fender Strat. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Chickenfrmheck, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: My Stratocaster was made in 2006 in Mexico. The frets are quite large, or maybe regular, but for me the transition from Ibanez to Fender was easy, but definitely not subtle. The Ibanez frets are much smaller and require some adjusting if you plan to do such a switch. I believe the guitar has a maple neck and body, and a rosewood fretboard. The neck is medium thin and has 21 fairly large frets. The finish is solid and does not scratch easily. Mine is black with a black pickguard, and my guitar came with a case and Tex-Mex pickups because it was a special edition FSR. The tremolo is a Standard one and holds tune fairly well unless you like do several huge dive-bombs. There is a 5-way switch, two tone, and one volume control. It has 3 single coil tex-mex pickups which sound really awesome and provide lots of versatility. The electronics are passive and the tuners are non-locking fenders. // 10

Sound: This guitar can give me a sound from acoustic to metal. It is very versatile. I run it through a DigiTech RP80 and Washburn Lyon Distortion pedal. This guitar is also very good for jazz and blues, which is great because I am in the school jazz band. The guitar is not very noisy and has a bright or warm sound depending on pickup selection. This guitar can sound like something with a grinding humbucker for rhythm, or like a les paul on lead with the neck position. I often use the bridge pickup alone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came relatively in tune and with good feel. The only problem was the factory strings were too thick for my liking. I replaced them but had to fiddle with the backplate springs. The guitar works smoothly, but sometimes my bridge pickup will cut out and not play at all. Sometimes, it will not work for weeks, but then come back for just as long, or maybe a few days. It is very annoying but I get a good sound when it works. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems quite durable and should withstand Live playing. The strap buttons are solid and the hardware looks strong. I have played with the school jazz band and not needed a backup of any sort. Other than a possible bridge pickup conk-out, this guitar is very reliable and should last a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: I absolutely love this guitar. I play all the time. It is very comfortable, but a slightly thinner neck with more frets would be nice. Locking tuners would be good, also. If this guitar were stolen, I'd beat the crap out of the theif cause it's a special edition, so I couldn't buy another. He'd definitely get found and die, cause I'm totally addicted to the guitar. I have been playing for 1 year now and own a starter Ibanez gio guitar and a Peavey Milestone bass. I also have an Ibanez gtp10 amp, and a big, 120 watt Behringer BX1200 bass amp, which I run everything through. I use a DigiTech RP80 and a Washburn lyon distorion pedal from target, which sounds surprisingly good. I love my guitar and bass rig, and may write more reviews later. // 9

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Hello_Goodbye10, on november 09, 2012

Features: My guitar is a Black Fender Strat and I've had it for about a year now and I bought it 3 years after my Yamaha acoustic guitar and I'll tell you a bit about it. It has 22 frets, made in Mexico, body and neck woods are maple, has the controls volume, tone, and tap, and it included the accessories case, and cable. // 6

Sound: My guitar very well suits my music style because I love rock and pop and a little hip-hop. I have a Line 6 amp with 15 watts. It is noisy if you turn the volume up loud, but I like to keep it kinda low because it sounds more sweet sounding when it's lower. It gets really irratating when the amp switches get turned up out of nowhere and I have to keep fixing it. Lately, when I am playing my guitar I hear an echo and I have to go over and fix the buttons, but that's the only flaw. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I think the guitar was set up very very well in the factory. I play it a ton, and I am always knocking it around by mistake ('cause I'm clumsy) and it never seems to get damaged it looks as good as new! The guitar is perfect, I love it! For me, it contained no flaws. Except, when I bought it, they forgot to trim the wires! // 6

Reliability & Durability: I think that this guitar will withstand Live playing very well. From my prospective, yes, I think the hardwire will last a long time. The strap buttons are very solid, and I would very easily only take this guitar to a gig. It is my favorite guitar, and I certainly DO depend on it! // 8

Overall Impression: I usually play rock n' roll and pop music, and I think it is a very good match for a lot of rock songs. I have been playing for 3 years and I own a Yamaha acoustic, and this Fender Strat. I also own amps, cables, straps, and cases. If it was stolen or lost, I would buy the same guitar because I love it, and I got it for a reasonable price. I love the fact that it's black! I think it's so cool and matches the Rock N'Roll and Pop that I play. I also love the clear sound that comes out of it, and it's easy tuning. The only thing that I hate about it is that the B string is constantly getting out of tune and when the cable comes out by mistake it makes a really noisy screeching sound. I love this guitar, and if your searching for an electric guitar, I would really reccomend it! // 9

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: The_Lead_Kewl, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Strings and Things Bridgewater, Nova Scotia

Features: The Fender Stratocaster, is one amazing guitar, it is used all around the world, Ian D'sa uses it from Billy Talent, It's either Kieth Richards, from the Stones or Ron, and other poeple I'm sure. You can adjust the volume and the tone in 2 differnt ways. There is also a tone bar on it, that lets you chose what pickup, the sond goes through and into the amp. The frets are pretty small, even the neck, or at least mine. Perfect for an 12 year-old such as my self. It can hold a strap, and such, I have a pick case on mine, but that's for for the better good. // 9

Sound: I would rate this a 1 000 000 if I could, this guitar, with pretty much ANY amp, can fit any style of playing (and I meen any). If you want country, put the tone bar on the far setting, for the twangy sound, or for metal a little closer to you on the tone bar. If you have an amp with gain on it, you can make some really heavy distortoin, this guitar is all sounds, ear-shaking loud, or folk soft. This guitar can make any sound you wnt, and can easily change sounds in a matter of 30-120 secounts. That is why it's chosen by rockstars all around the world! It is worth 399.99 CND. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is genius. You'll find the pickup dots will get a little rusty, but no effect on the sound. The pickups are adjusted so easy, it's like sliding ice on ice. The neck was well doted with indications of frets. There is only one, two dots in one, the twelfth fret. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can withstand a truck being dropped on it (not really). I have been in sevarl car crashed with it, and maybe a very very small chip in it. The strap buttons are, in my opinoin, trilled in there, then crazy glued in. You could strum it until you die, and no paint would come off. I would depend on this for my life, it's incredibly strong, nice looking, easy fingering, and it lasts, I've had it for 4 years, and it still lokks the same, sans the numeros SMALL blemishes, and finger prints. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play, rock, heavy metal, punk, alternative and post-hardcore, this fits everyone and any other style, yes even folk. I have been playing for, I think 4-3 years, but I just started taking lessons about 6 months ago, I only own the Stratocaster, and if that broke, I'll be spending a lot of time on chores, to pay the 399.99, to me it's the best darn guitar in the world, along with the Floyd Rose. I own a farly good amp from Crate. I love everything about this guitat, and if I had to chose, my favorite feature is the small neck, cause it's easy to jump around really fast. So if you have 410.00 CND in your pocket and want another guitar, buy this one buy iy buy it! // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Guitarkid0678, on november 09, 2012

Sound: My style is punk-rock/hardrock. For heavy music this guitar is by no means a bad guitar. It's just not as "heavy" sounding of a guitar as some other guitars out there. It is perfect for clean intro's or melodic solo's. Power chords are also great with this guitar due to the smooth neck. If you love to play punk-rock this a great all around guitar to start with. However if you are more hardrock/hardcore, you might wish to find a more "heavy" sounding guitar. Then again a pick-up change will also help (I recomend Emg's). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar has superb action. The strings bend with extreme, effortless, ease. The only problem is sometimes the nut will loosen and, in my case, break off. The pick-ups are decent but I must say they are by no means noiseless. They give off a "hum" noise if the pickup Switch is on the bridge pick-up. The only solution I found to this "hum" was a noise surpressor.The bridge of this guitar is really great. My guitar very rarely goes out of tune and I put it threw hard use. The bridge sometimes needs adjustments here and there, especialy if you are signficantly changing string gauges. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is perfect for Live playing. It is very light and will not go out of tune easily. The harware will honostly in my oppinion last forever. The only thing that won't is the nut. The strap bottuns are extremly solid making it great for guitar spins and jumping around. But I highly, strongly recomend stap-locks. // 10

Overall Impression: This is great for anystle of music (except death metal). It can get by in any stlye but is great for melodic, artistic playing. It is great for punk rock and blues. I've been playing guitar for 5 years now. I have a Gibson SG Standard (black with Emg's). I must say the Fender plays a lot easier but isn't as "heavy" sounding. The Strat is great for playing fast, so if your a shredder you will love it. For the price you can't go wrong, I mean by no means at all is it a bad guitar. In my oppinion for the money you can't beat it. It is an amazing guitar and with a few tweaks here and there it's a dream machine. // 9

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Mr E, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Soundcontrol

Features: 2007, Mexican made Fender Stratocaster. 21 medium/jumbo frets on a maple fretboard. Arctic white finish, and alder body to the best of my beliefs. Non locking tuners, and price included Fender gig bag. 3 Standard single coil pickups, with 5 way selector. Tone controls for neck and middle pickups, and tone control for bridge would be nice! // 7

Sound: I bought this after owning a Squier Strat, but didn't have the money to go for the American equivalent! I went for it, as this guitar just really suits my style. I play a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Biffy Clyro, Foo Fighters, and everything in between, and this guitar is very versatile. When I first got the guitar I heard stories about how bad the stock pickups were, so when I got it home, and tried it out on my amp (which is a Fender 10W practice amp). I was surprised at how little feedback there was. On the distortion channel, there is some minimal feedback but not as bad as I would've expected from single coils. The tone varies quite a bit from bright to full, between the bridge and middle pickups, but nothing that a good amp setup can't fix. The bridge can sound quite "tinny" with lots of distortion, but I never use that much anyway. I've yet to use it with any pedals! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was ordered direct from Fender via the shop I got it from, and the action was setup perfectly, for the gauge strings it has. The action was nice and low for good playability, but not too low so you got loads of vibration. I've read in various places that maple fretboards, can be "sticky", and have slower action, but I prefer playing it to rosewood, as I find it just as fast, if not faster. The tuners seem to hold their tune well (although I'm constantly changing what tuning it's in, so I'm not sure). Only problem so far is the jack plug came loose within a week (don't they all) but a good tighten up tends to do the trick! Other than that, a solidly built guitar (for a Mexican). // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've yet to use the guitar onstage, but it's withsood some reasonably intense jam sessions. I would be confident of using it without a back up, but I'd probaly have a spanner on stand by, incase the jack plug came loose! The strap buttons seem solid enough, but after my Les Paul came crashing down to Earth, I always use strap locks anyway! There are no flaws with the finish.And notyhing else has fallen off yet! // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly on the clean channel, and normally quite mellow stuff. Comparing this to my Epiphone Les Paul, it measures up in its sound abilities, (although they're beter at different styles) but perhaps it's build quality is not quite as good. I didn't get a chance to try it out in the shop, but if anybody else was thinking about rosewood or maple, I would say try both out for yourself, as only you know what feels right for you. If it were stolen, I would cry because I'm skint and couldn't afford another one, but if I could, I'd definitely get it again! Overall I would recommend this guitar for the beginner or intermediate (or "on a budget, but would like something decent") player. // 9

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: The Standard Stratocaster I purchased online is a 2001, blue agave, completely stock Strat. It's actually the same exact guitar pictured on this review page. Made in Mexico, this Strat features an alder body, rosewood fretboard, with a Blue Agave finish. Pretty average stuff for the most part, but for the money, this guitar is an excellent value! What I particularly enjoy about the mexican made strats, is that they are an excellent platform for upgrades, etc. For the extra 700-800 bucks, you can get an American made Strat, with different woods and better hardware, but if you invest 50 bucks here and there with different upgrades, you can have a very comparable and awesome sounding guitar for half the price. // 9

Sound: What makes the Strat so important is its versatility to accommodate a wide range of music styles and tastes. Not to knock on Gibson, but you can make a Strat sound like anything, with a Les Paul, your options are a little more limited. The older stock pickups on the Standard strats were hotter than the new models, but they still suffice. I generally run my guitars through a Marshall JTM600 60W Head Unit, into a Marshall 1960A 4X12 cabinet with 30 watt Celestion speakers. The Strat has a nice twang to it, and really has a throaty sound with the neck pickup. Definitely a bright sounding guitar, with the proper pickup, this can be a really nasty sounding guitar. I bought this as a reliable backup onstage. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I bought this guitar used, there are some cosmetic dings, but nothing a touch up couldn't fix. As for the action and fit, I never use a guitar straight off of the shelf, as that's foolish and you may miss out on a great guitar because it hasn't been set-up in years and sounds like garbage when you first play it. For a 7 year old guitar, it's in great shape, nothing a good setup and upgraded parts wont make better. I usually get the tuners upgraded, along with the bridge saddles for improved string performance. and I highly recommend putting an aftermarket pickup, like a Seymour Duncan, in the bridge position for a fat and punchy tone. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I couldnt stress more that this is a workhorse guitar. I've been gigging without a backup for a long time, and that Strat has held up amazingly, as I really beat the shit out of it Live. The hardware is what it is, you get what you pay for, but spending the extra dough for awesome parts makes these guitars really really last. I plan on upgrading the tuners and getting the electronics shielded and upgraded as soon as I get it. Any guitar, Fender, Gibson, Jackson, whatever, will last as long as you take good care of it. Almost comparable to cars in a sense. If things sound funny in your car, you get it tuned up, checked out. Same with a guitar. It's people that don't take care of their guitars and cars that make the manufacturer look bad. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock/pop punk, and a Strat loaded with a hot pickup in the bridge position is perfect for that kind of music. I have been playing for 6 years, playing shows for the last 3. I now own two Standard strats, a '70s Madeira acoustic, an Epiphone Strat copy, and a Les Paul Studio. If this guitar were stolen, I would absolutely get another one. I love the responsiveness of my guitars, their feel, and the sounds I get out of them. I think the electronics and some of the hardware can be a little wishy-washy but easily upgraded. You can listen to some of my bands music online at (most of the sound is my older Strat, with a Seymour Duncan JB Jr. pickup in the bridge, coming through the Marshall JTM600). // 9

Purchased from: The Guitar Emporium - Belfast

Features: My Model is a Japanese Fender, white body and scratchplate, chrome hardware and a rosewood fretboard. It's basically a Fender Strat, what more can I say. Classic three single coil setup, 1 volume, 2 tone, 5 way selector, Fender machineheads. Japanese Fenders definitley kick mexican Fenders ass, but maybe aren't as good as the Americans. // 10

Sound: I must stress this! 3 single coils may not be everybody's ideal set up. I'm a complete Metalhead so obviously not for me. But Fender guitars are excellent for modifiying. I got the guitar second-hand an it came with a Seymour Duncan hotrail in the bridge and a DiMarzio in the neck and it sounds better than any of my so-called metal guitars. So the wood is obviously great, jus put in your own pickups, you could save money too. I have another unmodified one however and if you want the best blues an country tones available this is the guitar for you straight away! You get some amazing clean and dirty, gritty sounds! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was great when I got it, played like a dream, an with almost no tweaking at all still smooth. Beautiful Neck! The guitar was second hand so ther was some slight paint damage but since then none at all, the finish is solid. I've never had any problems with it, it's getting a little older so the whit finish is starting to fade and go a creamy colour but hey, Vintage look and all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Fender guitars will take a lot of abuse! This guitar never lets me down. Solid build, finish is excellent, neck joint and trust rod amazing! I keep my tremolo locked down solid and I never ever have problems with this guitar. You won't need a back up guitar, it holds it's tuning really well! // 10

Overall Impression: Out of a collection of 8 or 9 guitars ranging for B.C. Rich's, Dean's an Cort's, this guitar is the finest. The most solid guitar I have ever bought. Japanese Fenders are great guitars and are a real bargain. Don't be put off cus it's not american, it's still an amazing guitar. The three single coils may put of those of us into heavier music, but like I said get your own pickup configuration added an not only do you get a perfect sounding guitar but an amazingly comfortable and easy to play guitar. If you like blues though then this will give you some really amazing dirty and clean sounds. Overall I love this guitar! Great to customize and a solid built guitar that won't let you down. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: whipwreck, on november 09, 2012

Features: The year it was made is not entirely known to me, but I believe it is in the early '80s. It was made in Japan. It has 21 thin frets and the neck is made from maple and the body Ash. It has a well finished red paint job, and a Floyd Rose bridge. It has 3 single coil pickups, although I am not sure of the make. It has a classic 5-way selector and non locking tuners. // 10

Sound: My music style revolves around 60s and 70s rock and funk, and then more current Indie, funk and rock bands. My favourite bands being Babyshambles and Rage Against The Machine. The guitar itself is very versatile and even though it has singe coil pick ups, it can be played in all styles and I find it fits my style well with correct tweaking on the EQ. I use a Vox AD 30, DigiTech Whammy pedal and Boss compression sustainer CS-3. I find that because of the single coil pickups there is some hum however this is barelly noticable when playing. It has a very bright sound and when I write my own music I try and make my own sound very jangly and then fill it on solos by changing the pickups on the selector. There is a lot variety in the sounds I can make, further pushed by the whammy pedal, and I find that the only sound that cannot be truly reached is metal, but this is also attributed to the tube nature of the amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Because I recieved this guitar from a family member Who passed away, it was already set up correctly and was all correctly routed. Because it is a Fender there were no flaws with the guitar itself, however there were some scratches on the top, but that was most likely due to the previous owner. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definately use this Live without back up and can always rely on it. I think the guitar could last at least another twenty years, but the pickups may need to be changed if any problems occur. I think that it has proven to have a good finish as it has had almost thirty years of playing and is still near perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: Iv said what type of music I like before and I find that this guitar is definately a good match. I have been playing for about five years now and have a Gibson SG and a Vox les paul. I find that I play the Strat the most because I can easily get a nice refreshing sound and tone from it. Not to say the other guitars don't but they offer a heavier sound which I use more for Rage Against The Machine and Led zeppelin. If it were stolen I would have to save quite a lot to get one from the same time period and would be livid because of sentimental value. But I would definately buy one be it a more recent build. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: stratman_13, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar Works

Features: I own a 2004 Standard (Mexico made) Stratocaster. It has a 21 fret maple neck (really fast for a Strat neck), solid top, and patrol car black finish. It's got a synched trem, Standard Fender equipment. I mean, it's a Strat. 3 single coil pickups, 5-way selector, master volume, tone knobs for the neck and middle pickups. Nonlocking tuners, came with a gig bag. Overall, it's not like you're getting anything special. It's the Standard Strat we've all come to know and love (or hate. Depending on which side of the debate you're on). It lasts forever, and the parts on it will never let you down. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of classic rock, some older metal, blues, and blues-rock. The Strat handles them all like a champ. I'm using it through a Palomino V3212 (the 2X12 version, American made). Sometimes I'll run a Boss Metalzone in front of the Strat (just for fun despite the battery vamperisim, it's always fun to fuzz up your gain), but that's pretty rare. And, to the question of is it noisy come on guys. It's a Strat. It always will have that hum that we know (well, unless you switch your pups with noiseless ones). On mine, though, the two "humbucker" settings (bridge/middle and Neck/Middle) seem to get rid of it. And again, it's a strat. It'll handle pretty much any type of genre you throw at it (even "teh br00talz" if you switch to stacked humbuckers or even dremmel your pickguard to accept a humbucker). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My Strat came excellently set up. No buzzing, no nothing. The pickups were spot on, and everything was military-clean. The trem cavity had some paint flakes and a small amount of wood dust, but it was so miniscule it's almost not worth mentioning. The only real problem I had was getting my Strat set up for heavier strings. I had gotten it set up for 11's, but I reset it back to the stock gauge of 9. Overall, it was excellent. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a Strat. If you really want a testament to it's durability, watch Stevie Ray Vaughan play "Third Stone from the Sun" off of the Live at El Mocambo dvd. It's rock solid. I would take this guitar across the world with me, and put money on it coming out smiling. The strap pins are solid, the finish is extremely durable. I kind of wish it was a little thinner, as I like the "arm wear" look. The only problem I had with it was a loose pickup selector (but it took a fall on a hardwood floor to do even that; my sister knocked it over). I would take this anywhere without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I love my Strat. I've played (not owned, mind you) Gibsons, Jacksons, PRS', Epiphones, Ibanezes, Deans, and Gretschs. I have been playing about 8 years, and I own a Fernandes acoustic, Palomino V3212, and as I mentioned earlier, a Metalzone. I honestly have to say, I would take my Strat over most any guitar in the modern lineups. It matches what I play perfectly. If it were ever stolen, I would have to break down and cry. Then I would immediately Rush out and buy another one. The only thing better than a Standard Strat is the American equivalent. My favortie feature would have to be it's versatility and it's durability. This thing could make it through a war. The only problem I have with it? String trees (I prefer staggered tuners). // 9

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Matt-92, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Kays music

Features: My Strat is a secondhand 2004 mexican made Standard. It has 21 frets, and a freakin' awesome maple neck and fretboard. it's a typical Strat, string-synchronized tremolo Standard body shape etc. it has 2 tone and one volume control S/S/S Standard Fender pickups and a 5-way switch. Mine came with kluson deluxe tuners so it never goes out of tune. It didn't come with any accesories apart from gig bag to move it in. // 10

Sound: Strats generally do pretty well at any style (apart from super heavey stuff) so it suits thr classic rock and blues that I play really well. It only gets noisy when you play really distorted, I mean gain up to 10 kinda distortion, but if you wanted something that can handle high gain get a guitar with humbuckers. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was perfect when I bought it, apart from some scratches in the finish, but as it's secondhand you'd expect that. The top of the whammy bar by the plasticy bit is a bit rusty, where the git Who owned it before me put his sweaty paws, and on the first fret there is a notch cut into the fretwire behind the G string, and some scratches on the fretwire of the B string, but I have no idea what could have done this, it's probably from the guitars previous owner. The finish is quite rare I think, as Fender don't make them in gold anymore, probably because no-one bought them. the colour takes a bit of getting used to, but it's really individual I think, when you look at all the sunburst and black ones out there. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This will probably last forever as the scratches on it ar just in the finish where someones belt etc has whacked it. The hardware will definately last, although I might get a new whammy bar because of the rust, but it's not vital. The strap buttons are solid- big enough to hold the strap and they're screwed well into the body. The only problems with it are because of bad care towards the metalwork, but the guys at the guitar shop did a great job fixing it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my perfect guitar, and I know I'll be playing strats forever because of it. I payed more than I should have done for it, but it came with locking tuners, and the guy at the shop said it had the best neck he had ever seen on a Strat. I tried this against an american Strat, and mine just felt better made. There was also a Hank Marvin signature Strat, which looked kinda cool in fiesta red (basically Orange), but I didn't try that because it said Hank Marvin on it, and I wanted something a bit cooler (no offence to Hank Marvin/ Hank Marvin fans). The thing I love about it is probably the neck, which is better than your average american Strat's nevermind Standard. The finish is also great to, because no-one else has one the same (that I've seen). The thing I hate is that someone else had it before me, but that also good as it means I'm not afraid to breathe on it as it has some wear and tear. If it were lost or stolen I have no idea what I'd do. I'd probably by an american Strat, because other standards don't come close and it gives american built ones a run for their money. I only wanted a Strat Jimi and Clapton played them (and Pete Townshend) but I never realised how good they were. I have an Epiphone SG as well and this wipes the floor with it. For the moment at least, I'm on the Fender side of the Gibson V Fender argument. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: boudieboom, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: The Strat is orginally crafted in Mexico in 2006, with 22 jumbo frets and a Rosewood fingerboard. It has a solid Ash body, and it is doesn't weight that much. The finish is just transparant. The body is in Strat style, quite obvious because it is a Stratocaster. The bridge is normal, a Tune-O-Matic. The guitar is equiped wich 2 tone and 1 volume thingy and a 5-way selector. The guitar came with a gig bag and a tremolo. // 10

Sound: This guitar perfectly suits my musical style because I listen a lot to Red Hot Chili Peppers, and John Frusciante (Who is their guitarist) plays with Strat (and sometimes teles). It just sounds phenomenal with my Marshall Valvestate 8080, nice clean noise and if I Switch to overdrive it sounds a whole lot like on the albums. It can be noisy if I want to, but I don't play on full "strenght". The guitar can make guitar noises, I don't really know how to explain this. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: There was nothing wrong with the guitar when I got it, it was in perfect shape and I couldn't see any damage or faults from the factory. The pickups were adjusted perfectly in my opinion, I wouldn't change anything about it. The guitar was assembled perfectly and the top was properly bookmatched, the bridge properly routed in my opinion. No flaws and all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes, this guitar will surely whitstand Live playing, altough I'm not in a band (yet) I'm sure I will play Live with it someday. The hardware seems of a good quality, I don't think it is broken very fast, I think it will last for quite some time. The strap buttons are fine, no problems with that. I think I can depend on it, I will use in on a gig without having to think about it, it will make a good combi with my Marshall Valvestate 8080. Don't think the finish will go off that fast, read some pretty good reviews here. // 9

Overall Impression: Jus't like I said before, this guitar will perfectly suit my musical style, so it's defenitly a good match. I've been playing now for like 1.5 year or so. Nah, don't wanted to ask anything, only maybe if I could get more of them for the same price. If it was stolen I don't know, this is like the first guitar in the Fender line. So if it was stolen maybe I'll just go for a better guitar like a American Standard if I have the cash for it. If I don't I will seriously take this one again. I compared it to my other guitars, an Epiphone S310 and a Fender Squier Affinity. The sound from the Strat is so much better, I love it. Nope, it's got all I want. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Intheflesh93, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: imuso.com

Features: Features: It was made in mexico, is a gloss black, maple neck and maple fingerboard. The body is alder. All the normal features of a Strat. It 21 frets. Volume two tone (neck and middle) and a 5-way selector. a gig bag was included. Passive electronics. // 8

Sound: Sound: It sounds good with nearly all styles and Variety of tones. unfortunatly my amp is rubbish as is my effects pedal so I need to get new ones. My amp is rubbish so it sounds awful in the high notes. But if I had a better one (As I've already tried out) it would be a lot better. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came to me absolutely perfect, not a scratch or anything wrong, everything was where it was supposed to be. The only thing was that after a couple of weeks of having the guitar the bottom screw on the pickup selector came lose and that was the only thing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Reliability & Durability: I've only played Live once with it and it was one song but it was great. I would take it without a backup but it would depend on the quality of the strings. The finish seems as it will last, but i have to keep an eye on the fretboard. The black colour makes Fingerprints, smoges and scratches more apparant. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall Impression: I play mostly rock/blues. I have been playing for two years and had this guitar for six months, since then I feel it has made me a lot better on the guitar. This guitar is a great guitar as you can do just about anything on it. I wish it had some Seymour Duncan's Hot Stack Stk-s2 for the neck position. // 9

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: jeffo46, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Features: Mine is a 2006 Mexican made model with a beautiful sunburst finish and a rosewood fretboard. It has 21 frets and is made of Alder with a vintage style bridge, along with a 5-way pickup switch and a volume and 2 tone controls. It has 3 Standard single coil pickups and a 60th anniversary metal emblem on the back of the headstock. It came with the standard Fender Ping tuners and a heavy duty gig bag. // 10

Sound: This guitar is the Standard by which all others are judged as far as I'm concerned. A lot of people tend to comlplain about the pups on these guitars, but Fender did some serious upgrades to these MIM models which actually improved the tone. Now you get a thicker trem block, jumbo frets, and shielded compartments. Of course if you put the 5 way in any setting other than 2 or 4, you're going to get pup hum. That's the norm with single coils. I always leave the 5 way in the 2nd position so that's not a problem for me. I love the tone on this guitar, whether it's clean or distorted, you can tell it's a Strat. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Here's where I give this a lesser grade and that's only because this one was a floor model, so who knows who was f--king with it before I bought it. I noticed that the bridge saddles on these models are not very sturdy, so I changed them to Graph-Techs which helped tuning stability immensely, plus they actually improved upon the tone. I also changed the pickguard to a white pearloid strictly for cosmetic reasons and I installed a set of locking tuners. I also checked the intonation which was off a little bit, along with lowering the action and doing a truss rod adjustment. Now, I have it set to my liking and it plays just fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I bought this guitar in March of 2007 and have since used this on many of gigs since then without having to use a backup at all. To say that this guitar is reliable and durable is a understatement. I've been playing for over 35 years and this is one of the, if not the, best guitar that I have ever had the privilege and the pleasure of having in my collection. This guitar is a great deal for anybody who cannot afford to shell out $1,000.00 for an American made model. My hat is off to Fender for improving the MIM Standard and at the same time, thinking about the little guy. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and '80s hair metal and this guitar can do it all. It is very versatile and can cover any type of music contrary to what the naysayers bitch about this model. If this ever got lost or stolen, I would immediately replace ot without hesitation. As a matter of fact, I would love to get another one down the line with a Artic White finish. I would not compare this to any other model of guitar only because, I am a Fender player at heart and couldn't see myself playing anything else. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: rscp1050, on november 09, 2012

Features: An overall very nice guitar. It has 21 frets. It has a 5-way pickup selecter and 3 single-coil pickups. It comes with a gig bag and tools. The tuners are standared Fender I believe. It tends to go out of tune, so I basically have to tune it every time I use it, otherwise it sounds terrible. // 8

Sound: The sound is amazing. I am using it with a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt amplifier. It sounds the best on the insane setting, which I use for rock like Metallica, etc. It also sounds good on clean, which is good for smooth songs like Sweet Home Alabama. Occasionally the pickups add a little unwanted hum though so that gets annoying. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very well at the factory. The action is really good. The pickups are at just the right hight. The only complaint I have about it is the finish on the pickguard is starting to peel off. I don't know if it was a defect or just my playing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar definitely can withstand Live playing. The hardware is very good. I feel that the strap buttons on my guitar could be a little bit more solid, but that's my preferences. The finish is really good but the finish on the pickguard is starting to peel, as I just said. I would definitely use it at a gig withough a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall a very finely crafted guitar. I usually play rock and metal, and this guitar suits it perfectly. If it were stolen/lost, I would definitely get the same guitar. The only thing that I don't like is that I wish that it had a humbucker at the bridge instead of a single-coil. I think that it's quality is a little lower then a Les Paul or Gibson, but overall a very nice guitar. // 9

Purchased from: Bridge of Harmony

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: necrosis1193, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: My uncle

Features: 2002 SSS MIM Fender Standard Stratocaster. The pots, switches, wiring and such were redone by my Uncle using boutique components(though I think the pickups are still stock), and it has the usual MIM Strat assortment of things; alder body, Polyurethane finish(in a beautiful, and sadly discontinued, Agave Blue), non-locking Fender tuners, 6-point synchronized trem, 21 frets(maple on this one), and a discontinued painted neck, which I prefer. My only complaint is when I set the bridge up to be flat on the body, I had to remove the backplate to restring, but eh, it doesn't change much. // 9

Sound: I generally play blues and older rock, but I try to play all sorts of genres. I have my HH PRS copy for heavier stuff, but for everything else my Strat has failed to let me down. Each pickup setting sounds how you would think it would(neck; spanking a la SRV. neck-mid; neck, but mellower and without hum. Mid; 70's-ish, think Blackmore, but a bit lower-output. Mid-bridge; The quack everyone Who likes a Strat loves. Bridge; How and twangy), and positions 2 and 4 don't give any hum due to the reverse-wound middle pickup. Just a note though, when I played this thing on a cement floor, even when it was just one coil, I got no hum. It may have been a number of other things, but hey, it's possible. The usual assortment of Strat tones can be expected from this thing. It has a sort-of-full sound, but with less bass and more treble. It can get bright on the bridge, and deep on the neck. It depends on how you play it. It's wonderful for what I need though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As I bough it used, I can't rate much on this for how a new one will come, but mine feels wonderful. The neck is fast and smooth with nothing sticking out, the action is nice and low, the frets are easy to get over and bend on, it looks beautiful, and feels wonderful. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've slapped and thrown her around quite a bit, and she still looks great. I'd always take a backup to a gig, just because anything can happen, but I get a feeling except for a metal song or two this thing could play the entire set. The finish seems like it could stop a Bullet, but that's a bit of a downer for me, as I like relic'd and beaten guitars. The strap buttons seem solid, as does the hardware, but I'd probably replace the prior with straplocks just to be safe. And I've played a show with a friends band with it, it can withstand Live playing just fine. // 8

Overall Impression: Being mainly a blues/rock guy, a Strat is basically perfect for my style of playing. I've been playing for five years and have a few other guitars to attest to that, but this is by far my favourite. Plays like a dream, and really the only thing I dislike about it is that I can't play heavier stuff on it. Otherwise I'm happy. If it were stolen I'd track down the bastard and hit HIM over the head until he couldn't remember his name. Or until I felt satisfied. Either way I'd beat HIM bloody. But you get the idea. If your looking for something good for a decent price and don't play a lot of metal, this is definitely what I'd recommend. // 9

Purchased from: Rattle 'N' Drum Music, Derby

Features: This is the Brand New 2009 model, made in Mexico. It has 21 jumbo frets, on a Standard scale maple neck. Has a solid alder boy, in a gloss black finish. Normal Strat type body, with the stock Fender bridge. All the electronics are the normal Fender Stratocaster style and set up, all in white. Mine came with a Fender gigbag, a tremlo arm, large and small allen keys and all the paper work and a few Fender stickers. Also I managed to blag a handful of jazz 3 plectrums, but that's only because I asked. // 8

Sound: The guitar as it is suits my playing style very well, a bluesy lead style with lots of small runs and moving about the neck. I currently run it through a Boss ME50, because I am waiting on a new amp at the moment. Tend to use the big muff effect, with a light overdrive and some chorus, and on my cleans I use no effects and just use the guitars natural sound. The guitar makes no noise what'soever, unless you reali crank up the gain, but even then it is minimal. By switching pickups and some tweaking of effects, you can achieve most sounds, although I wouldn't advise using it for very heavy stuff. I plan to replace the pickups with the 1969 Vintage Fender set, but that's down to my personal preference. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set up was spot on for my playing style and personal preferences. Pick ups are set well, get a full response from all the strings. All the routing seems fine, no gaps between the neck and body, everything is beautifully in line and straight. I would say change the nut, the cut on the B string is not ideal and I do have the odd issue with it from time to time. The tremlo arm wobbles and is quite loose, and the bridge isnt ideal, so I will be replacing it with a Callaham bridge and virtual pop-in tremlo arm. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It will definately stand up to gigging and recording, or just bedroom use. Hardware is fine, apart from the issues I have already highlighted. Strap buttons are definately solid, wont budge an inch (I had problems with a Fender bass, so I've tried these out extensively). it's very dependable, but I would not use it without some form of backup guitar, not that I expect the guitar to fail, but you can never be too safe! The finish on my particular guitar is totally flawless, and has the feel that it will definately handle all those nights of sweaty forearms and grubby fingers. I would still be carefull with your belt buckle though. // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues, rock, progressive rock style music. This guitar, being a Stratocaster is symbolic with that genre of music, and this modern version more than holds it's own. I've been playing guitar and bass on and off for about 12 years, solidly now for 5. I wish I had asked them to Switch the pickguard over, I have a solid white one, but they didn't have any black ones in the store. If someone stole it, or I broke it, I would definately by a new one without hesitation. One small feature I really like it the redesigned headstock logo, they have redesigned it to look much more like the old 70s style logo, in a classy looking black and gold. I played a few other strats, some Squier ones (which were horrible) and some american models. The 2009 mexican model is pretty much the same in my opinion, only cheaper. As I said earlier, I wish it had better pickups, but I will be replacing them soon. // 9

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: yellowsnow4free, on november 09, 2012

Features: Bought this from a private seller on Craigslist. For $350, I got the guitar, a Crate GX-15R, a guitar stand, a Zoom GFX-707, 2 sets of cables, a soft case, a strap, an electric tuner, and some picks. As far as details go, I'll tell you everything I know: 1998/1999 Arctic White Strat with a maple fretboard, SSS configuration, all stock. // 10

Sound: I mostly play rock, and maybe a little metal. Either way, it suits me great. Has that great classic tone, and also handles distortion very well. I'm using this guitar with my 2 amps (Crate GX-15R & Crate GX-30M) and my 1 effects petal (Zoom GFX-707). Not noisy, in fact I get minimal hum from my amp when I'm playing. This guitar has the ability to generate all kinds of sounds; I love it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Once again, I am only a beginner, and I did buy this guitar used. Everything was in really good condition, especially for a 10 year old guitar. With a good cleaning/polishing, this thing could look (and play) like new. No factory flaws with the guitar. A+ for Fender MIM Quality // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far, this guitar has lasted 10 years, and seems at least as good as a new 2009 Strat. This guitar is tough, and I wouldn't hesitate to gig with it without a backup. Strap stays on tight to the stock buttons, but I am still looking at some rubber strap locks for it. // 9

Overall Impression: This is my first guitar, and I don't see why I would ever need to buy anything else. The sound is versatile, and can suit many different playing styles. If it were stolen, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. My only complaint - the fretboard doesn't have that gloss finish that the MIA's have, which makes it get dirty easier. So just take care of it. My last little comment: this is a great guitar, IMO, at least as good of sound quality as an American Standard. Also, Strats are so easy to upgrade, so it's really future-proof (meaning it won't be obsolete). // 9

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Megadethmike, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: South Pawn

Features: It was made in 1998 in america it has 20 frets, maple neck,solid top,it is made from maple with a black finish, it has a Strat body style,bridge style is Floyd Rose whammy system,it has three knobs one master volume and two tone knobs, and includes a 5 way pickup selector the pick ups are standard Fender Strat pickups with non locking tuners, it came with a gig bag and a sidekick amp. // 7

Sound: It doesn't really suit my musical style it isn't really for heavy metal, i use Washburn distortion and Boss tremolo to get that raw tone i need its kind of noisy it gives off a static sound, i don't know how many sounds it can make because ive never tried to see how many it could make // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: Every thing on it was made properly exept the selector it falls back to the bridge when i have set on the neck position.it isn't rusty or any loose tuning pegs yet its got qaulity wood, but the pickups are kind of loose it was properly bookmatched top what ever that might mean. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It is more for recording in the studio than live playing, the hard ware will last proably another three years i wouldn't use it at a gig without a backup the finish is to thin and wears off a little to quick its chipping now. It is semi reliable and durability is exellent ive dropped it a hundred times with no body dfamage or hardware damage // 3

Overall Impression: I play metal speed metal and thrash metal it wasn't really a good match, i ve been playing for 2 years i own a Fender Strat standard, a Silvertone Danelectro 1448, and a Fender sidekick amp, no there is nothing i should have asked before buy this product, if it were stolen i wouldn't go get a new one, i love the whammy system i hate the low gain capabiltiy, i compared it with ESP, i chose this one because i wuz broke and couldn't afford ESP i wish it had EMG pickups it might change how i felt about this guitar // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Ziggy of Mars, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Elderly Instruments

Features: 2009 Fender Standard Stratocaster LH made in Mexico. Maple neck and fretboard with 21 medium jumbo frets. Body made of alder, transparent finish. Obviously a Strat, double cutaway style. Standard tremolo bridge with 3 knobs (1 master, 2 tone) Came with a gig bag, tremolo bar and 2 wrenches. I personally like it better than the SG just because I like maple fretboards, compared to rosewood. // 10

Sound: Perfect for the music I play, which is punk, classic rock, blues, garage and Indie bands, ska, and a little new wave. I use just a Line 6 Spider III 15W amp, just for practice when I'm hanging with friends, with mostly echo and reverb effects. It is plenty loud and doesn't take much power to blow the whole house up. With the proper settings on the tone dials, the guitar sounds phenomenal, although I'd rather have a tube amp like Fender VibroChamp XD or Epiphones Valve. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: To my knowledge everything was fine just the way it came from the factory, no flaws or else I would've already sent it back. The action is flawless and is a perfect work of engineer and looks quite nice with the classic Strat body. No complaints. It was brand new, so I haven't found any flaws. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It would absolutely hold up at a gig, all hardware it fine, and strap buttons are good. I would definitely use this without a back up. I don't see why I couldn't depend on it, it sounds great, and even if I accidently hit it on the wall or drop it, it still sounds good, with no scratches and cleans up real easy. // 8

Overall Impression: I like playing classic rock, older punk, ska, reggae, post punk, some Indie and garage rock thrown in their too. I'm self taught and have religiously played about 1-2 hours a night for 7 months. I have a beginner Fender acoustic, which plays great. If it was stolen, I would have no problem buying this same model again. I don't really hate it at all, I love playing on 4th and 5th position on the 5 position switch, and just the way it feels when I play it, my amp really gives what I play that raw punky sound that I like but can still switch it back to sound however I like it. Great deal on a great guitar. // 10

Purchased from: Music and Arts

Features: This Strat was made in 2010 in Mexico. It has a 21 fret 25.5" scale with the Vintage medium jumbo frets. It has an alder body with a maple neck, finished in tinted satin urethane, and a rosewood fingerboard. The finish on the body is a polyester 3-tone sunburst. Obviously a Strat style body with a string-thru body and Vintage style synchronized tremolo. It has 3 single coil passive ceramic pickups found on many stock guitars with a 5-way selector switch, 1 volume control for all pickups, 1 tone control for the neck pickup, and 1 tone control for the middle pickup. The tuners are normal non-locking stock Fender tuners. My guitar came with the gig bag, instruction manual, and the 2 wrenches to adjust the truss rod and bridge saddles. // 10

Sound: I play all kinds of music: blues, rock, hard rock, metal, reggae, jazz, classic rock, Acoustic clean stuff, and rock & roll, and this guitar supplies averything except metal and hard rock simply because the pickups don't have enough bass. I use a Peavy Vypyr which gives me all the tones and sounds I want to get for all the styles I like. It isnt noisy for me unless I turn my amp's distortion all the way. I play in my basement so I guess theres not much interferences. These pickups are very bright but not to bright and the neck pickup is VERY FULL and TONEFUL. I love it for Jimi Hendrix. The middle pickup gives a clean sound good for jazz or other stuff. The bridge pickup gives a very twangy honky tonk sound that would be good for country and blues. Overall, this guitar is everything but metal. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I wouldn't know of the action from the factory but I know when I played this guitar in the store the neck had too much relief but that was an EASY fix. The pickups were basically set to Standard but I like my pickup height a certain way so I changed it. I checked under the pickguard to find everything wired nice and neat. When I was playing my hands got caught up in the fret wire a tiny bit but nothing like cutting. There were no other flaws I found, and believe me I checked. I didn't pay $400 for a bad guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar with DEFINITELY withstand anything. It is literally hard as rock. The hardware with also last a while. Strap buttons are safe as long as you have a decent strap. I could bring only this guitar to a gig and I would be fine, wouldn't have to worry about anything. But I always carry an extra pair of strings just in case I get in to it. The finish is nice and will last decades and the best part I don't see fingerprints on it like my black guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great match for the style of music I play except not being able to play metal. BUT you could always swap out a pickup for a good humbucker. I am an intermediate guitar player but I don't own much gear except for my Peavey Vypyr, Schecter, some First Act guitar(don't laugh), some pedals and other little practice amps I use to use. I love everything from this guitar except my guitar got out of tune. My favorite feature would have to be the neck pickup. I can't compare it to anything else because my other guitars have humbuckers but other than that it is very playable. If someone stole it I would buy another one without thinking. If anything I wish it had lower action because I'm used to my Schecter. // 8

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: jimmyjimbo72, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Reidys, Blackburn

Features: My Stratocaster is Mexican-made and was built in 2010. It has a medium maple neck with 21 medium-jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard. The body is made of alder and has a sunburst finish. The Bridge is a vintage-style synchronised tremolo; personally I don't use tremolo but nevertheless it feels nice to use. Controls consist of a volume knob, 2 tone knobs and a 5-way selector Switch to choose between 3 Fender-standard single coil pickups. The tuners are Fender Standard sealed tuning machines; very effective. I was given a Fender gig bag and the shop threw in a strap and some Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings. // 10

Sound: I play all sorts of music, but my favourites are reggae, ska, punk, rock and blues; this guitar handles them all with no problem at all. The Bridge pickup really shines when distorted, and even clean it sounds great. That said, the sound I adore the most is from the neck pickup. I'm using it through a Behringer X V-AMP, a cheap multi FX unit, and yet it sounds incredible. With the aforementioned pickup I can get nice mellow tones which really ring through the pedal. The middle pickup also gives a sound which I love for playing grunge; the possibilities are endless. The guitar itself is not noisy at all, but the pedal sometimes is. In general, the tone is just incredible. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The out-of-the-box set-up was actually very good; the action was low and felt so wonderful to play. The intonation was a bit off, but I fixed that easily thanks to the well-constructed bridge. The pickups gave an even output overall so I felt no need to adjust them. The only other issue was that the tuning pegs were quite loose, but again this was easily resolved. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I doubt that this guitar wouldn't be able to withstand live playing; the hardware seems very durable. Concerning the strap buttons, I actually have some strap locks which are still attached to its Squier sibling; since the buttons on the Fender are big enough, I haven't been bothered to swap them! I'll do so if I'm going to play live just for added security. I'm sure the finish will last; if it did on my Squier that I've had for 4.5 years then I'm sure it will last on my Fender. // 10

Overall Impression: Best purchase I've ever made! As I've already said I play all sorts of styles (in terms of artists, think Sublime, Slightly Stoopid, John Mayer etc.) and this is the best match for all of them. I have been playing for 5 years and own a Squier Strat, which is nowhere near as good as this, 2 acoustics (a Yamaha and Epiphone), a Behringer X V-AMP and various stompboxes. I did also own an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. If it was stolen I would bawl like a baby/knock out the guy who took it and buy a new one. I love the playability and tone, and hate nothing about it! I hope you don't think I'm being nave but I can't find anything to hate! I also tried the slightly cheaper Mexican Standard Strats (e.g. the ones in Arctic White, Lake Placid Blue etc.) which played nicely, but for some reason were heavier; I was expecting to pay a bit more just for the colour, and yet mine is lighter and plays better! I also played some lovely telecasters, but at the end of the day the tone was not for me. When I die, I want to be buried with it! // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: KurtxCobain, on november 09, 2012

Features: I just like the strato caster its like my favorite beside the double neck Gibson like Jimi page uses // 10

Sound: Sounds da bomb for metal/grunge/rock n roll // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: ??? // 1

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is like one of the best ever Fender is a great company // 10

Overall Impression: Grunge/Metal/Rock // 10

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: LoLex, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Local music store

Features: I bought this Strat in a second-hand condition, and my Strat was made in Mexico, alder body, 21 frets, 3 single coil PUps, and bolt-on neck. Mine has the black finish and rosewood neck. It comes with gigbag, cable, handle, and allen wrench. // 9

Sound: I play many kind of music, such as rock, metal, and sometimes blues. I think this blackie is (almost) perfect for all of these, except metal. The stock PUps can give me the varieties of sound from the bright, bell tones into the deep bassy sound, however as I got the rosewood neck mine has more bass sound. You can swap from the RHCP, Led Zeppelin and even into Slash fuzzy tones (with some effects, obviously). However, the PUps doesn't sound too noisy when I give a load of distortion, especially for metal. I play through this Strat to my pedalboard (Boss DS2 & SD1, Dunlop Crybaby Original, EHX Nano Clone) into my standart practice 15 watt amp (minding for a new one, duh) and it suits well. In my personal opinion, this guitar is versatile enough, even though I'm minding for the PU's upgrade. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Mine was a second-hand one, so it doesn't come as perfect as I wished. However, the action is low enough, the PU's range to the strings is balanced, and no fret buzz at all. But my only disappointment is the tremolo bridge. Every time I dive bomb it, the strings are out of tune. I dunno does this issue is happening to the others, or it's just me because of the used condition (which is sad but true, LOL). I'm rating this only seven because of the tremolo, the rest is awesome. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar almost stand like a stone. I dropped it about one, two, nah forget it, I forgot how much I dropped it. But this baby doesn't even got a crack in the body. The hardware, however, seemed to be easy to be stained (my bridge saddle does). The strap buttons are solid enough, even though I'm minding to buy a straplock. I might use this as my main guitar, along with my Squier Strat. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said above, I play mainly rock, metal, and blues. This is an awesome guitar to cover em' all. I've been playing for 1, 5 years, and this is my 3rd guitar. I have a Squier Strat and a Epiphone Les Paul (sadly, the neck is broken, duh!). If this sweetie is stolen, I'd hunt the thief and get this Strat back (nevermind 'bout the thief, at least I got this one). My only disappointment is the tuning stability, and the hardware resistance. Overall, I'm satisfied with this guitar for a price! // 8

Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: dogsbrekky, on january 16, 2013

Features: 2012 MIM Standard Stratocaster, Arctic White, Gloss Maple Fretboard. 21 Frets medium-jumbo. Satin back to neck. The tuners are okay but not as good as the MIAs. The tremolo system is also not as good as the MIA but the body, neck and overall finish are sublime. Seriously, I went over this thing with a fine tooth comb and it is perfect. The glossy fret-board is just outright sexy. I even like the standard Pups on this thing, ceramic but perfectly set up for mind... Features from the website of MF: - Select alder body - Modern, C-shaped gloss maple neck - Maple fret-board - 21 medium jumbo frets - Vintage-style tremolo - Die-cast tuning keys - 3 Standard single-coil pickups with ceramic magnets - Chrome hardware // 9

Sound: Excellent tone from all 5 switch positions, just a little high output at the 12th fret, E string on the neck Pup position 1. I PLAY Aussie rock and some blues stuff as well as just jamming around buzzing with the tremolo. Only minor problem which will be fixed when I address the trem set up is that I tuned it to Open E and that put a spanner in the works with the trem rising too high from the body. And the stock std Fender strings which I will replace with D'Addario 9-42s next week. With the current trem in action, this bad boy goes out of tune quickly at this time Guitar generates wonderful Strat sounds and running it through the little Mustang II digital amp I can simulate all sorts of 50s, 60s - 90s sounds and I get an awesome psychedelic tone in position 1 at the bridge Pup with the Mustang II on the last setting with mod and using a DS-1 Boss pedal. Brilliant stuff This MIM Strat also seems to have a richer bass tone than the MIA and even SRV models I tried out at my local Sam Ash store. Maybe a fluke of the particular guitar but I love the sound. I would like to buy from a real retailer but the extra prices and TAX in NY make it impossible for them to compete with Musicians Friend. So much for retail in NY city. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is great, not perfect yet as I have a minor set up I need to do but I think from the factory it was fine until I effed around with the tremolo... The frets are perfect... Really nice (maybe Gibson could learn something from the Mexican Fender techs on that point). The wood is immaculate. I have only one minor high output flaw as stated before at the neck Pup on 6 E string. Weird cause it is really HOT at that point (maybe POT winding). The Pups are much better than on my old '86 Squier (with American Std parts) and I understand the new 2012 MIMs are better than previous models. I don't get some negative reviews I have seen on the web where everyone wants to pay another $150 for other Pups (just buy the Tex Mex set up I say then). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Already dropped it. No problem as I am rough with things but this bad boy is solid. Strap buttons hold my crappy nylon strap in place really well. I just play at home but transport the thing between NY city and my home in Southampton. No problems so far. The hardware is tough, even the tone knobs which are hard plastic not the aged stuff used on the MIA Strats look and operate perfectly even though I got some of that god-awful plastic stuck under one of them in unpacking and set up. The stain back to the neck is great. Feels perfect. I would use this anywhere anytime with pride. // 10

Overall Impression: Love it for my stuff and with all of the Tab stuff on the web these days it is a vreeze learning again as I stopped playing 20 odd years back even though I have an old 1986 Squier (S Vin) Strat Jap made and a MIA late 90s. I think for $500 odd now this is a bargain and compared to say the Studio Gibsons at $900+ and other ESG's etc this is a steal. Easy to play, fast, great tone. Outstanding quality and once I pull my finger out and set her right it will be GREAT. I tried many Fenders from $900 to $2500 (MIA, SRV, Clapton etc) and tried out Gibsons from $850 (Studio) to the $2500 AND UP Les Paul Stds but apart from the 70s Tribute Gibson ($1150) and SRV Strat $1900, this was as good as anything and a minimum of 1/2 the price. I would add the finish on the expensive Gibsons was of old Rolls Royce quality but their cheaper line had a lot of finish problems. Fret buzz, neck pores etc. At the time I bought this I was low on funds and almost certainly would have paid the extra $550 for the MIA Standard Strat (it is an ego thing and a support USA employment thing) but I am now glad after trying many more MIA's at mate's gigs and stores that I restarted playing with this. I also own a new 300 CE Fender T-Bucket Electric-acoustic (Chinese made) which looks great and plays well for practice. I would rate 92/100 on quality and 95/100 for overall value. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jazzmaster - Lee Ranaldo Signature 8.6 Electric Guitars 12/19/2014