Standard Stratocaster Satin Review

7.8
reviews (3) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Standard Stratocaster Satin Reviewed by: claguemanx, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: flyingpig

Features: The guitar features a 5 was selector to get my diffrent sounds out of the guitar. 1 master volume and 2 tones controls. The guitar was made in mexico december 2005. there is 22 frets (for me that is perfect since I see not need for any more). The neck is medium thickness made for rosewood with medium size frets. The body is maple with a satin finish and is perfect standing up (nice and lightish) but equlay equaly brilliant to sit down with. The pickups are Fender. The tuners are Fender non-locking. // 10

Sound: The sound is amazing compared to some of the other standard Fenders I have played. I play a wide range of music (metal, rock, punk, western ect). Although the shape does not suit 3/4 of the music I play the sound is amazing when on an Marshall 50 watt DFX with an CryBaby and an Boss Super Overdrive. The guitar buzzes a fair bit when on one pick up selection but when 2 are on it is silent but I solved the problem with copper foil put on the back of the scratch plate. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up fairly well when it came from the factory although I had to replace the trem springs with tighter springs because they could not cope with the use. The pickups were agusted quite well I just had to set them up to how I like them. There was only 1 flaw with the guitar and that some of the screws were not in straight but othere wise it was perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well I haven't gigged in at least an year but I would say it would kill live. The hardware seems to stand up well since it is brill in recording (since I'm trying to start my solo career). The strap buttons are quite solid but I prefer to use strap locks because most of my other guitars use them. I would depend on this guitar in an gig but I might have an back up depending on what style, how many gigs in a row I will be playing and for how long. The finish is amazing since I play very fast (mainly when playing heavy metal) and there is no sign of fretware or finish starting to come off. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is brilliant to play. It shows its true colours in blues and rock. Although I like playing metal with this guitar it to me does not have an raw enought sound by its self. The normal set up I tend to use it and Dunlop CryBaby wah wah, an Boss Super Overdrive unit and an multieffects Korg G3 on an Marshall 50DFX which had flager, chourus and delay. I have been playing for 6 years and I have only turned 15 this year. If it was stolen I would think about buying it again or save a bit and buy maybe a Fender Jaguar. What I love about the guitar is the classic neck with its smooth action and the brilliant sound of the pickups. What I hate about this guitar although my second favorite guitar to play is that I some times hit the selctor so I tend to have it set to the back pickup so it is not moved out of place and I prefer the tone of the pickup rather than the front. I corrently have 4 electrics and I would compare ti quite well to my Artisan copy of a 335 and the Squier Strat I have but I wouldnt say it was better than my twin necked SG made the british firm blues rock. The only thing I wish it had was locking nuts and better trem springs (the ones that came in ti from the factory) but other wise it is perfect. // 10

Standard Stratocaster Satin Reviewed by: xifr, on november 09, 2012

Features: All the same great features incorporated into the Standard Strat, but now featuring four velvety satin finishes with black pickguards that resonate class! Offered with rosewood or maple fingerboards. - Body: alder - Neck: maple, modern "C" shape (satin polyurethane finish) - Machine heads: Fender/Ping standard cast/sealed tuning machines - Fingerboard: rosewood - 21 Vintage style frets - Pickups: 3 standard single-coil Strat pickups (ceramic magnets) - Controls: master volume, tone 1. (neck pickup), tone 2. (middle pickup) - Bridge: Vintage style synchronized tremolo - Hardware: chrome - Unique Features: satin finish, Vintage styling. // 8

Sound: The only thing it can't do is a heavy metal tone. That is not to say you can't get a metal tone out of it, it's just different. It does most other styles great. Samick 15SR (not the greatest thing ever, but can still get some good tones with this Strat). Does it buzz? Due to the nature of single, I'd have to say yes. However in the 2 and 4 positions of the selector Switch they act as humbuckers. The single coils give a typical Strat, bright sound. When set in selector positions 2 and 4 it gives a more rounded, mellow sound. The variety is surprisingly good. I find that you can get a nice creamy santanaish tone with the selector Switch set to position 2 (neck and middle), with neck tone at 10, middle tone at 6 and volume at 7. Then to make a more metally tone I put the selector Switch into position 4 (middle and bridge) and boost the volume to 10. I would've liked it if it came with humbuckers that had a coil split, but this works out. Selector positions 2 and 4 do not have the tone of a full humbucker, they don't sound bad, just different. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came with the action set up almost perfectally. The height of the pickups needed to be adjusted a bit. Maybe I just got a good one, but it was flawless in the crafting. The only complaint I have is that the slot in the backplate where the strings go in was made for a floating bridge, so if you block up your trem then you need to take the backplate off in order to change strings. // 8

Overall Impression: What can it do? Everything really, and for the most part this is a very versatile guitar. I've been playing for 3 years or so. The other gear I have is a Samick 15SR amp, and a crybaby. Would I buy it again if it were lost or stolen? It really depends how much I could scam the insurance for. I love the general feel about it. The neck is very nice and smooth (and pretty fast), and the body shape is very comfortable to me. I would like it if the action could go a bit lower, but it doesn't matter that much. I looked at heaps of other guitars in the same pricerange, except just passed them by because I saw this as being better in all ways. The only other guitar that at the time was a competition was one of the Ibanez RGs (forgot which), but I liked the feel of the Strat better. Humbuckers with coil split, HardTail bridge (I ended up blocking my trem, which nearly does the same thing), possibly a compound radius (but that would bump up the price quite a bit). I reckon this is a great guitar, but that's just my opinion, and you should check out every guitar in your price range before making a decision. Check out guitars that are more expensive just to see what qualities they posess. People with bigger hands could possibly find the neck to small, so check that out aswell. // 8

Standard Stratocaster Satin Reviewed by: Mattstrat, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Muscian'sFriend.com

Features: This guitar is great. I got it less than a year ago. It was made in 2006 so its the 60th anniversary edition. I got the rosewood fretboard. The black pickguard is so much cooler than the Standard white, and the finish is spectacular. You never have to worry about finger prints! Other than that it's basically your trusty ol' Stratocaster with single coil pickups. Volume nob and two Tone nobs. The tuners are non-locking made by Fender. Seriously its a great guitar. Its a bargain too. I have heard rumors that say these finishes and colors will be discontinued. I hope not. // 8

Sound: The Strat fits most of my music style. It's great with alternative, rock, blues, even metal. It can have a little noise when it's a on a ingle coil, but its not big deal. I'm using a Fender frontman amp with an R-20 effects pedal. With that pedal and that amp the guitar can make muddy sounds, bright sounds, crucnhy sounds, sandy sounds, everything! // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came from the factory perfectly. Pickups were fine, bridge was fine, the top was bookmatched, and the action was more than decent. The portective covering on the pickguard left a couple marks that you will have to rub out with a cloth, but that was easy to do. Other than that, nothing was loose, nothing was poorly cut...It all checked out. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can withstand years of Live playing. I'm only fourteen and I expect it to last until my kid learns guitar. The strap buttons are solid as can be. I can depend on this guitar and would never bring a backup to a gig. The finish is great and will not chip off easily. I'm sure. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock and alternative and that's perfect for this guitar. It also handles blues very well. I've been playing for about two years and this is my first electric guitar, and I'm glad it was. My dad got a Fender Jaguar when he was my age and he still plays it. I know my Strat will be like my dads Jaguar when I have a son. If it were stolen I'd buy it again fast. Then find the guy Who took it and make HIM pay. I compared it to the Gibson les paul, and I think its better. The LP is too chunky and heavey. The Strat is light and comortable while still containing quality, durability, and playability // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014