Telecaster Blackout Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Telecaster Blackout
It has a set high access 24 fret neck, with American made Seymour Duncan pickups and a carved top. This instrument is sleek looking, easy to play and has killer tone.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.3
 Features: 8.8
 8.6
 7.3
reviews (4) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Telecaster Blackout Reviewed by: Secondhandloser, on november 09, 2012

Features: Made in Korea. Dual SD pickups: Pearly Gates in the bridge, and SH1RP in the neck. 22 frets. Basswood body with a maple neck. No inlays. Master volume and tone, with a pickup selector. // 8

Sound: Nice guitar, very warm sound, not bassy enough for my tastes though. The pickups are excellent for classic rock crunch, but they don't provide enough low end for metal riffs. The pearly gates pickup also has excellent cleans, and the SH1 is reverse polarity, so you can get an out-of-phase tone by switching them both on. Pretty versatile over all, but don't expect Les Paul heaviness or Standard Tele twang, but you can nail just about everything in between. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, mine came poorly setup, because it had been left sitting in a warehouse for over a year (hence the low price), but it was a quick fix and the finsh and such were flawless. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This thing can take a beating, but I won't give it one, I like it too much. Strap buttons are/were great. I installed straplocks, always the first thing I do when I get a guitar. I never gig without a backup, I usually bring two. But I am as comfortable with this guitar as any other. Finish is top-notch. // 9

Overall Impression: I play every style of music from jazz to metal. It doesn't hit either extreme well, but that's not what I bought it for. It's a great classic rock/blues/punk guitar. The only things I would change: I would like higher gain, bassier pickups, and I would like seperate volume controls. I might wire in volume controls, and swap out the neck pickup. It is a great guitar though. // 9

Telecaster Blackout Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Fender defines this as a non-sense production, well I still don't know what that means but I hope that it's not a bad thing. We're talking about a korean made Fender Blackout Telecaster, two duncans and extreme all-black finish. Simplicity at it's maximum level. The duncans are Pearly Gates for the bridge and a reversed polarity '59 for the neck, the best on the market (in my opinion) for warm and clean sounds. No Telecaster ice cleans, forget that. The bridge is very solid (fixed) and the tuners works really well, no problems with that. This is probably the lightest Fender on the market, you can play it for hours without getting you shoulders tired, very good thing. Uh, I was forgetting this, it has a push/pull tone control, that splits the humbuckers in single coils, great thing for bright sounds. Strange neck for a Fender, flat D profile, very confortable but it's not my favourite shape, it's just unusual and you may have some problems to get used to this particular profile. // 8

Sound: I'm definitely a rock addicted, in every form. This guitar is not made for metal or extreme styles like that, but you can suit pratically everything between blues to hard rock, this is pure versatility. In clean sounds this is unbeatable, the pickups are the best on the market for that, really warm and rich on the neck position, lots of power on the bridge, with the possibility to split the coils for single coil sounds, which is not the ideal on heavy distortions 'cause of the awful noises but it's another sound possibility anyway. Using a Big Muff it's pure orgasm!! With full coils you have the best you can imagine for stoner rock or hard rock distortions, with an enjoyable warm touch on the neck position. Really great! I use a Peavey Classic 30 with a Big Muff, a Metal Muff and an Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer. This guitar behaves really well even with metal muff, but it's lots of times warmer and fatter than a metal thought guitar, so it's only another sound possibility for rock, muted riffs just don't sound right. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was really poor. Dusty and rusted strings, high action and carved neck. Just shit, but you can't expect more from a korean made setup. It seemed like a wonder when I took the baby out from the luthier lab, just an hour of work changed the world! The fingerboard is perfect, you just can't put the string out of it even hard bending. I use a fairly low action, and there isn't any buzz even on higher frets, great thing. The finish is really heavy, I think that it's a couple of millimeters of polyuretane. Well, you don't notice anything about it playing. The wiring is just ugly, lot of useless cable that raises the probability of getting electric problems in the future. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It's simply a rock, no question about it. I used it for three gigs around the town and it's perfect like the first day. The paint job is so heavy that you don't have to worry about the sweating or stuff like that, just clean the fingerboard with a napkin after playing and don't bother about anything else. The strapbuttons are great, this baby comes out of the factory with straplocks! Unbelievable, these strapbuttons are really safe and you can throw the guitar all over the place (well don't take this as an advice:P) and the strap will still fit perfectly. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a really good instrument for rock and hard rock. It's even versatile on cleans with the splitter, but this gives its best with full coils and some gain. If you play rock and you haven't lots of money to spend, just look for one of this. I also own an Epiphone Elitlist Les Paul Custom which I use for heavier stuff, but this tele is unbeatable as confort and playability. The only comparable product is the Fender Deluxe Tele HH, which is really similar but costs a lot, this is a particular, and overrated, instrument that deserve to be played, period. Just take one and play it, you will suddenly know what I'm talking about. // 8

Telecaster Blackout Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 850

Features: My Fender Blackout Telecaster has been a fantastic guitar. I received this guitar as a gift in the summer of 2008, purchased from a local music store. It's a Mexican made Telecaster featuring 21 jumbo frets, 5 way switching between 3 Vintage style tele pickups, and a master volume and master tone knobs. An alder body with a 1 piece maple "C" neck and a thru body bridge complete this beautiful guitar. The gorgeous black top and matching black Dot inlays compliment the maple neck. Going from a squire fat Strat to this tele couldn't have been better. The three pickups give you a wide range of tones, while the guitar itself looks very sleek and defined. // 10

Sound: I play a variety of different styles and genres, mostly just jamming to songs with my own made up material anywhere from rock, punk, hardcore, country to Christian worship songs. This guitar is excellent for all those sounds. I play through a Traynor special custom 50watt all tube amp. I get a little amount of buzz when using the bridge pickup, but it's nothing to noticeable. I only use one pedal, an electroharmonix memory boy (delay). This analog delay compliments the warm tube amp quite nicely, especially on the clean channel. When used on the dirty channel it becomes quite messy. The tele performs great, and sounds fantastic (to my ears anyways). You get a very deep, full sound on the neck and middle pickup, while the bridge pickup delivers a lot more treble and punch, almost like a hum-bucker. This versatility is fantastic, and makes this an excellent, well-rounded guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly from the factory. The action was awesome, and I only just recently readjusted it, (over a year after purchase). No flaws that I have noticed, to me this guitar is perfect. Over the last year the screws in the pick guard have begun to rust a little, but that just adds character, and does not impede with the sound quality. The tuners have remained tight, and there is no play in the volume and tone knobs or pickup selector. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This tele is solid, and feels fantastic in your hands. Is it show quality? Sure. I think it would perform fine, I have played for hours, really hammering on the strings and such, and it has continued to perform well. The finish is excellent, there are no dings or cracks what -so-ever, and that is not just because I have babied it, it truly is a solid guitar. Strap buttons are solid, but I would defiently install strap locks, as my worn out strap occasionally falls off. I don't think I would need a back up, but in reality you never know. // 8

Overall Impression: As mentioned before, I play a lot of different styles, and really enjoy making up my own material or jamming and improv over other songs. I've been playing for 7 years, and this is the second guitar I have owned, the other being my first squire fat strat. I have not had experience with a lot of other guitars, in owning them anyways, but I have played quite a few. This tele has been fantastic, and would not trade it for anything. I love the neck, and the colour scheme. It matches my Traynor amp perfectly. I compared this to a Gibson Les Paul Standard before buying, and also a vaugn all white strat, and this is the one that won me over. If it was stolen would I replace it? In a heartbeat. // 9

Telecaster Blackout Reviewed by: A Rolling Stone, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: This guitar is Mexican made and has 21 medium-jumbo frets. Since it's a Telecaster it is a bit on the heavy side, but after having it for around a month or so you will get use to it no problem. As I'm sure you can tell by the name, it is indeed solid black with all-chrome hardware. It came with a Fender deluxe gig bag which is very useful if you want to transport it, say, to and from a friends house or to a music shop. It has an easy to use string-thru body bridge and, unlike most teles, it has 3 pick-ups instead of two. The third is added in the middle position. The body is made of alder and is glazed over with a shining polyester finish. All together, this is one sexy guitar! // 9

Sound: Well, this is the section where this axe really shines! Seriously, this thing is like a tone-machine. I play most Blues and Classic Rock and this guitar gets the job done and then some. For the most part, the clean, bluesy tones are where this guitar excels but if you flip on a Boss 1 distortion pedal the single coils still really sing. Because of the single coils and the maple neck the sound is very bright compared to my rosewood neck Strat, but that's all the better in my opinion. Syd Barrett, Jimmy Page, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, they all used Teles and if you want the kind of tone to match theirs then this is your guitar for sure. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Of course, the dark and shining black finish w/ chrome hardware is one of the highlights of this guitar. The looks of this thing are out of this world. Straight from the factory, there wasn't a single scratch or dent on this thing. The action is also very comfortable, with bends, hammer-ons and pull-offs easy as pie. The only problem is that when I first got it the low E string kept coming of the top of the neck when I would play it, but after the guitar got set up at a local shop that really hasn't been as a big a problem either. This guita came near perfect from the factory, and that was a big relief! // 8

Reliability & Durability: Now, I haven't gigged with this guitar yet but I definetely can plan on it. Obviously, I've bumped the body against tables or hit the neck on a drum set and things of that nature... everyone does. But if you look at the guitar, you can't even tell. The finish, knobs, tuners, chrome and all of that stuff look as good as new after a month of getting this thing broken in. The only thing is a little spot in the wood on the second fret that wasn't there when I first got it. I think it happened somehow at the shop, but it isn't really noticeable and it doesn't affect playability. // 9

Overall Impression: For the styles that I play (Blues, Classic Rock, Modern Rock) this guitar is a perfect match and I really couldn't ask for more. In the year and a half I've been playing the only other electric I had was a Squier OBEY Strat and the difference is absolutely phenomenal! It's like going from a scooter to a Ferrari, no joke. I would reccomend this guitar to absolutely anyone I know that plays. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 08/01/2014