Telecaster Deluxe Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Telecaster Deluxe
Alder Body Maple Neck, Rosewood Fingerboard, 21 Medium Jumbo Frets, Chrome Hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 9.7
 8.7
 9.4
reviews (3) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Telecaster Deluxe Reviewed by: zappp, on november 09, 2012

Features: Mine is a 1977 Telecaster Deluxe USA. My Deluxe had been refinished at some point, most likely the original color was mocha. Now it is a medium dark natural wood. Most people look at this guitar and immediately think Stratocaster, that is until they see the Tele body. It's a good weight -- I used to have a 90s Telecaster Plus Deluxe (Lace sensors), but the thing was so freaking heavy, I just couldn't stand playing it for over an hour... I really love the look of Tele's always loved the Strat headstock. // 10

Sound: My musical style ranges. I play alot of textures and atmospherics -- along the lines of post punk meets electronica (likes: radiohead, flaming lips, the notwist, the pixies, the doves, elliott smith, joy division, the cure, shudder to think). This guitar really captures how I always wanted my guitar to sound like -- bright (in the neck pick up), powerful and crunchy at times, and clean almost ambient at times. DEFINITELY NOT a metal head guitar. My rig: Telecaster Deluxe --> Boss TU2 --> cry baby wah --> Proco Rat --> Electro Harmonix Worm --> Boss RV3 --> Line 6 DL4 --> Fender Deluxe Amp. I went through a period of play through a massive stomp box rig, but after getting this guitar, I decided to phase out most of my pedals in favor of a more natural guitar sound. My present setup is definitely my most favorite. Tele Deluxe's are such expressive sounding guitars and they just soar over the rest of the instruments in the bands I have been playing with, without turning the volume all the way up. Really crystal and glassy when played clean through the neck pickup and crisp in the other settings. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is nearly 30 years old, so the quality is there. There are so much complaints about the post CBS quality in fenders, and to be honest, the 70s Fenders have some really great quality despite being factory produced. My only complaint with my particular guitar was that it was refinished. The paint was stripped at one point. But aesthetically I still think it looks great. The tuners, bridge and pickup covers have survived wonderfully. But probably my favorite thing is the neck -- it is the most comfortable and fastest neck I have ever played, and I really can just sit there for hours playing it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had absolutely no problems with this guitar since I bought it... I would indeed gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for about 12 years and this guitar is my favorite out of the bunch. I started off playing hollowbodies and continued to do so for a long time until I finally picked up a tele and have been in love ever since. If this guitar were stolen I would immediately go on the search for another. At the same time, I got such an amazing deal on this guitar -- $650 shipped across the country. I have seen these guitars go for $1500 at shops and through ebay. Despite the guitar having been refinished, knock a few hundred dollars off, and (if I had the money) I would still pay $1300 for it. // 10

Telecaster Deluxe Reviewed by: guitarted, on november 09, 2012

Features: Mine is actually a 2006 Diamond Anniversary reissue '72 Deluxe, made in Mexico. Body is a solid block of alder with a walnut polyester finish, one piece "C" shape maple neck with a gloss polyurethane finish and a maple fingerboard with a 12" radius and 21 medium-jumbo frets. Tuning machines are Fender/Schaller Vintage "F" style slotted. Pickups are Fender wide-range humbuckers with chrome covers. Bridge is a Vintage Strat string thru HardTail. Comes with a Fender deluxe gig bag. // 10

Sound: I play a little of all styles, and this beauty can stand up to anything I throw it's way. It can be deep and crunchy for your metal tastes, or bright and twangy for your country needs. I play this guitar through a Boss TU-2 into a Crybaby wah into a Fender M-80 SS 1X12. I have found it to be a little noisy, but nothing that's really noticable, you have to be in a very quiet room to hear it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got my guitar about 2 months ago, the action was perfect, and remains perfect. I had to raise the pickups just a hair, but that was mostly out of personal preferences. The only problem I have had is two of the screws for the neck pickup will not stay tight, but it does not affect the pickup stability at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a tank, and will stand up to anything you throw at it. The hardware definitely feels like it will last, and the strap buttons are as solid as concrete, but I plan to replace them with strap-locks like I do with all my guitars. I haven't had any problems with it yet, and I would definitely gig with out a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great guitar that can do anything you want it to and if it was stolen I would by another two. The humbuckers are great very full sounding, and can go deep and warm to bright and twangy with the flip of a switch and the turn of a knob. The only feature I wish it had was coil-taps for even greater versatility. // 9

Telecaster Deluxe Reviewed by: JMC92, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Music Makers

Features: The 1972 Telecaster Deluxe! Re-issued from 2004 to the present day. Mine was built in 2007 in Mexico. It has maple (C shaped) neck, which is similar to the '70s chunky Strat neck and has 21 jumbo frets. The body is made of alder, so it gives a nice tone too (acoustically). The maple neck does get a bit filthy at times but then you just clean it right up then, don't you? Part of the fun! My Telecaster has a black finish. It makes it look more aggressive I think, but it can also be bought in Walnut or the 3 Tone Sunburst. The only downside is that being finished in black, you can see my finger prints in it, but I suppose it's only common with any guitar. The pickups are 2 Fender Wide Range humbuckers, which are fantastic! They give out some great sounds. This also means that there is a 3 way Gibson Les Paul style toggle Switch and 2 tone and 2 volume dials, making this also unique to the Telecaster family. It also features a String-Thru bridge, Fender "F" machine heads, Bullet truss rod and a Fender '70s Stratocaster style headstock. The accessories that I got with mine were a Fender Deluxe Gig Bag (which is padded out rather nicely), the manual, tools and a "Fender: Since 1946" bumper sticker. Oh and the warranty! // 9

Sound: In my opinion, the sound is the best part. No Doubt about it. Before I bought this, I tested out a 60's Telecaster but it didn't give out tone I really wanted. I wanted something that had humbuckers. Not to say that the 60's was bad, far from it, but from what I have heard from an original '72/'73 Deluxe, it didn't seem to match up. As mentioned above, the humbucks' give out a really warm tone, especially when playing clean. It works really well with a bit of reverb whilst going through the bridge pickup. Perfect for blues. It also sounds immense when you crank up the distortion. I go through a Laney LX35D and with the 'Crunch' turned up, it will turn this guitar into a metal machine! On mine I normally go through the neck pickup, which gives it a more prodominant sound. The reason why I bought this guitar is because of the Indie/Alternative artist that play it. For example Alex Kapranos (Franz Ferdinand), Gary Lightbody (Snow Patrol) and Thom Yorke (Radiohead) all play Tele Deluxes, but with the right amp and/or effects, you could easily recreate much more. I think it works especially well for Muse tracks, because I can't afford a Manson Custom (yet). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got my Tele, nothing seemed to be wrong with it. The pickups where in the right place, the neck was perfect and nothing seemed to be really out of place. The only thing I can really think of is that was a bit of a pain was the second string (G) Machine Head is a bit stiff, the toggle Switch was also a bit stiff and the horrible film that covers the scratchplate. After a few months I've got used to the Machine Head, the toggle Switch is fine and after a bit of a struggle, the film came right off, even if it did mean lining up the dials again. The pickups feel like they will last forever. They are solidly in. So no real problems there! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar feels like it could last forever, and then some. I am being a bit over the top here, but it does feel like it will last. I can play it for hours without having to change guitar, so it can be reliable without a backup. The only reason I had to go for a backup on this guitar is because of a string snapping. On stage, it's light enough to play behind your head, if your into that. It's great fun to play too, even in practices! I have no idea how long the finish will last because I haven't had the guts to thrash around a 600 ($700 aprox) guitar. It looks as though it will. The strap buttons seem fairly tight, so it looks as though it won't fall too soon. If you're still unsure, best get straplocks but, I'm fine with the originals, thank you! // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of my favourite guitars! It's maple neck is extremely playable and it is really responsive too! The humbuckers make it stand out from other Tele's, one of the best points! It suits my style perfectly. I play mostly Indie rock and Alternative rock, but this can also be suited to Pop, blues, possibly country, Punk and in some cases, (I think) Hard rock and Progressive. If this were to be stolen, then I would go out and get another one. It's just so appealing. My friends all think that this is a great tone machine. The only thing that I can almost Live without is a tremolo arm. For bends I just put Super Slinkies onto it. But apart from that, it is wonderful! I can't find anything wrong with it! My favourite feature on this has to be the name on the big Strat headstock. Oh and the different shaped pickguard. And the Humbuckers. And so on, I've been playing this for a few months and I'm still slightly speechless at owning such a guitar! A deffinate Legend (in my eyes). // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Classic '50s Stratocaster 8.8 Electric Guitars 07/28/2014