Tornado GT HH Review

9.2
 8.5
reviews (6) 20 comments vote for this gear:
Tornado GT HH Reviewed by: Guitaroooo_Man, on november 09, 2012

Features: Inspired by the look of some classic American muscle cars, green with matching headstock and black racing stripes, mahogany body, maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard, Adjust-O-Matic bridge, anchored tailpiece, 2 American Seymour Duncan humbucking pickups. // 10

Sound: It is a truelly amazing sound. It has made my Ibanez GRG completely redundant. I was skeptical whether it would be better than my Ibanez when I bought it, but it far surpasses it. It can cover a very large range of sounds from Soft rock and really mellow clean sounds to Metallica and Nirvana. It can be full passionate music are dark and grungy, its your choice. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I've had the guitar a little over a week now, I've waited a week before posting this review because I know it can end up being good at first but then really awful. But, I have to say, it seems very well made, there doesnt seem to be any problems at all. It feels solid. // 10

Overall Impression: I tend to vary my tastes as of late. I play acoustic song with an acoustic simulator. I play soft rock music, Middle ground rock, Nirvana, Foo fighters, Punky type stuff, Green Day and also very heavy stuff like Metallica, Limp Bizkit, Nirvana. And I have to say, I am very impressed with this guitar. It is very good value for money. I wish it had come with a gig-bag or hard-case, but no, just the guitar in a box. If I broke this guitar or it was stolen, I would definately concider another or atleast another Fender. They are amazing guitars and are really really worth the money. They play like a dream and you can just feel the power in you. It has already inspired me to write some meterial. Definately a truely excellent guitar. // 10

Tornado GT HH Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Sound: This guitar suits any music style from grunde to heavy metal and soft rock which I all play. I use a Marshall amp with it and I use many effects like wah-wah, flanger, relay, chorus. Has a very nice and clean sound. I like everything about this guitar except that you don't get a gig bag or nothing with it but thats ok 'cause it's a great guiar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar had no flaws and it was in ship-shape condition when I hot it. The Koreans did a good job. It actually looks American made that's how good it is. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kidns of music from soft rock to heavy metal. And for me this guitar is perfect nothing I would change. I choose this guitar because it was only $630 and plays just as good as guitars in the thousands and just as reliable. Can't beat the price. // 10

Tornado GT HH Reviewed by: cabbaman98, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: GAK

Sound: This guitar has an amazing sound for many styles. Rock, metal etc. I play many types of music, mostly rock, and Indie, and its been perfectly fine playing them. I use a Marshall amp, no effects usually and it is amaizng, a brillaint tone to it! You can really play anything with it. When it's on clean it isn't amazing but what can you expect with humbuckers. It's not pathetic though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was put together perfectly. It really has that 'solid' feel to it. The tuning pegs are very firm and will keep the tuning in eprfection if you don't knock it on anything. There's not much else to say its all good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is described on the website liek this "Bring some muscle to the gig! So what do you think. This guitar, liek I said, give syou that real 'solid' feeling. This won't even chip if hit David Beckham over the head with it. The strap buttons are very good, they are big so you're strap won't come off, and I can't even seem to wiggle them. I would almost definetly use this at a gig without backup (I would still bring one though) its tough. The only thing which annys me about the guitar is the metallic finish to it. Its very shiny and really shows up your finger prints in the right light(its beautiful so you don't want fingerprints). And I ahve scratched a bit on th bottom and I don't know how. I haven't had it that long, and it couldnt have been very hard. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for me. It suits lots of music, which is what I play. It looks amazing and I like guitars like that. I ahve been playing 7-8 years and this is definetly a llife long keeper (at that price. It isn't overpriced, just expensive. I would definetly buy this again, and I could understand why someone would want to nick it. I love this so much because it has a great sound and tone. You really sound professional in every note you play. It looks so smexy and feels so good. I chose this oen beacsue it ha top rated reveiws, it looked so cool, and was in my price range. It was well worth it. // 10

Tornado GT HH Reviewed by: Anchoret, on november 09, 2012

Features: [2005 production] This is the most recent of the Fender Toronado models, and (debatably) technically the best, given the quality of the US Seymour Duncan '59 (RP) & Pearly Gates Plus humbucking pickups. These Duncans are not the same as the aftermarket versions available retail, but OEM versions made specifically for Fender with slight variations, including wider pole spacing on the Pearly Gates Plus compared to the retail Pearly Gates, and a reverse polarity coil on the '59 neck pickup. Unfortunately, someone at FMIC has for the past few years been laboring under the delusion that guitar buyers are clamoring for Korean instruments with hideous racing stripes, this despite the continuing failure of these otherwise good models in the marketplace. This Toronado is certainly the ugliest example so far, but as a consequence, those of us with strong stomachs can pick up long bargains when the large remaining stocks are blown out at around thirty cents on the dollar. The hardware and control electrics are adequate and typical of Cor-Tek's usual contract product for FMIC and other makers. This guitar loses points for the awful aesthetics of the concept. // 7

Sound: This is a nice sounding instrument, but is a good deal brighter than I had hoped from the rather conservative pickups selected. This is largely a matter of taste and is No Doubt largely a result of the dense mahogany (or "Asian Mahogany," which is not true mahogany) body and maple neck. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I received two of these guitars. The first one was absolutely atrocious. It was also severely damaged in shipping. Its defects included a smeared racing stripe under the clearcoat, poor alignment, a cracked neck pocket, a bad nut and worst of all, extremely poor fret seating with large gaps as much as .008" between the fret shoulder and the fingerboard. This is becoming an extremely common defect due to recent developments in fretboard production in all price ranges and brands. Players are not aware of this problem and are not raising the uproar they should be over this slovenly quality control. Check your guitars for this fatal defect that cannot be repaired without a total refret. This was the first time I have seen this on a Cor-Tek instrument, however, and was quite a shock, as they normally have excellent fretwork that is usually superior to Fender's US andf Mexican production. I sent back the lemon and received a much better example, which was also well set up, though really fine setup cannot be expected of instruments that have endured as much shipping as the typical guitar has by the time it reaches the buyer. I personally do major bench setups of all my incoming instruments, but this one required little except for repairing a stripped saddle adjusting screw, another defect that's becoming way too common on current instruments. Of course, the output jacks were loose on both of these, but they seem to always be on all new guitars at any price for some mysterious reason. One problem with both guitars was a really messy pooling of the polyurethane finish in the recesses of the control covers, which prevented the covers from seating properly. They will protrude until the gobs of finish in the route are scraped out, which is quite a job. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Neck mounting is excellent and rugged, and the guitar seems exceptionally durable. The ouput jack and plate seem a little weak and I would replace them with heavier-duty units for hard gigging, but they are perfectly serviceable if not damaged. Wiring was done very cleanly (sonetimes a problem with Cor-Teks), and the Cor-Tek pots have good action as well as being noise-free. Neck buttons are stout, so much so that they are too big to be used with most of my plastic strap ends, but I'm sure they will hold up. // 9

Overall Impression: Given the extreme quality spread between the two instruments I received, it is hard to come to a conclusion about what quality one might expect. My experience with Cor-Tek product has always been that they produced guitars with excellent build quality and adequate parts and materials. The "8" is for the better of the two, with the expectation that it's typical. People vastly overrate the products they review here; "8" is very good, and that's about how I'd place this guitar. It could do with better minor parts and a less offensive color scheme, but that's what FMIC ordered. You can't blame Cor-Tek for Fender's weird ideas. // 8

Tornado GT HH Reviewed by: greendayroker, on november 09, 2012

Features: The Tornado is a very sleek and good looking guitar. Its curved shape makes it very easy to play. It was made in the 2000's. It has a 22 fret, thin, maple neck. it's very easy to play things like Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Green Day, and Metallica. The Tornado comes with Seymour Duncans, a good brand of pickups. It has a 3-way selector and 2 volume and pitch controls. The bridge is a String-through body so it makes it look pretty cool. It doesnt't include any accessories. // 7

Sound: Like I said earliyer it is made to play things like Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Green Day, and Metallica. So punk and hevey metal. I am just using a Fender Frontman 25R amp. But it makes some great sound. Cheerful yet very capable of being in a sadenning tone. It can really be played for any song. It can be ajusted to make many different sounds. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The only 2 things that are wrong with the Tornado is the 1st string keeps on getting stuck under the 22nd fret. And the imput for the cord is loose. But of course those things can be fixed by tightening the imput and raiseing the bridge so the string will rise up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think that the Tornado will stand against anything unless if it gets dropped and I will have to replace a control or 2 but it will last a long time. I think Live playing shouldn't be a problem. It seems very durable so you can do a lot of rocking out while you play. // 10

Overall Impression: I usually play Rock & Roll and Punk music and this guitar is just perfecto for that! I have been playing for about 2 years and I own an Ibanez but that is nothing like this. That is kinda a stupid question "If it were stolen/lost, would you buy it again or get something else?" 1st I would never let anyone touch it "well mabey". And how the hell do you lose a guitar? But to answer that question yes I tottlay would! This guitar is my favorite thing on earth. I don't really hate anything about it just that the 1st string gets stuck. But my favorite feature is the white racing stipe on the blue background. // 8

Tornado GT HH Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: I have owned this guitar for 5 years now and I have to say that it is one of the best guitars I have ever played. This guitar was bought for me as a present to replace my old crestwood starter guitar and from the day I owned it, I've loved it. Visually, it is a stunning and unique piece of kit. From the Mahogany body and metallic green finish to the painted headstock, a feature I would like to see on many other Fender models, this guitar always shines. Its 22 frets, and tone and volume controls for both pickups give it amazing versatility, while its 59' neck and pearly gates plus Bridge humbuckers made in america give it the fantastic tone. // 10

Sound: My music style is all across the board. I play everything from John Mayer to Rage against the machine, but I primarily play bluesy garage-rock like the Black Keys, and this guitar covers everything. My most recent change on the guitar, something to really consider for anyone with a dual humbucking setup, is to install a Duncan SH-2N Jazz pickup in the neck and a Duncan Invader pickup in the bridge. Sadly, earlier this year my original pickups shorted, but after installing these pickups, it only made the sound and versatility of this guitar even better! The sound this guitar makes starts at a smooth, rich deep sound all the way to a hot, sparkling rock tone.This guitar pumps plenty of volume, and when I play it through my Way Huge Electronics Swollen Pickle Fuzz pedal it really shines. One setting on the fuzz pedal turns into three because of the tonal diversity this guitar can offer just by switching between pickups. I can say that to this day, after five years of owning it, it still can beat just about any other guitar you pit it against, whether it be a strat, a les paul, a tele, anything. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I recieved this guitar from the factory, I was very impressed with the fit and finish. The actual finish on the guitar itself was flawless. The action was very low as well, perfect for fast playing and very well adjusted. Every piece of hardware looked and worked beautifully, and it was an eye catcher from day 1. After five years of use, I have only had minor issues that were easily remedied. After having to re-solder the sending unit connection a couple of times, I finally put threadlock on the seanding unit nut to prevent it from falling out and allowing the sending unit to spin, causing this problem in the first place. I also had to fill-in and re-drill the hole for the sending unit bevel. Other than that, I have had no issues, and I have noticed no fading or damage that I haven't caused myself. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will stand up to anything you put it through. After five years of use and a year of hard daily use (I always try to set aside at least 2 hours to play every day) this guitar shows no signs of letting up. The hardware has lasted this long with no serious issues and really, for a korean-made product, I was greatly impressed. Although I have not played live shows, I am currently in the process of forming a band, and I have every confidence that this guitar will survive. The finish is still in excellent condition, you can tell that it is robust and that it will last. I ended up replacing the original strap buttons with strap locks just for that added reassurance, but it wasn't really necessary. Due to my own error in tightening the screw on the top lock too much, I sheared the threading on that straplock and it pulled out yesterday. This is a simple fix and is more my fault than the guitar's. I would play any gig with just this guitar. In fact the only reason I would have another one is because I play songs with varying tuning setups and that would be a major pain to Switch around. If I could, though, every guitar would be one of these. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is the perfect match for me. I got it at a steal 500$ for a guitar that was 900$ new, but it plays like a guitar that's worth more than twice the money. I have been playing for 10 years now and have played on many guitars ranging from strats to les pauls to jazzmasters and jacksons. I have seen many guitars and nothing compares. The versatility, tone, look, and attitude this guitar has is just unmatchable. You can see the muscle car inspiration not just in the looks, but just in the way it feels. The low action perfect for fast playing. I only have my other crestwood at the moment, and other than buying an acoustic-electric, I have no other plans to buy another electric guitar because I don't want or need one. If my guitar was lost or stolen, after much mourning, I would look desperately for another one, for in my opinion, it has no equal. Even at the guitar center I had the new pickups installed in, the service tech said that it was one of the best guitars in the store hands down, and it was valued at 800$ on the work slip. The people who saw it on his work bench asked about it, and wanted one as well. Everyone who sees me using it asks me about it. It really is a bittersweet shame that Fender discontinued this beauty, because while its no longer available new, I thoroughly believe this will be a future classic. A collector's item. If you own this guitar, you're lucky, hang on to it. If you have an opportunity to buy one, do it, you won't regret it. And if you don't have one, I'm sorry, but you're missing out. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014