VG Stratocaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 01/28/2015 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: VG Stratocaster
It's an incredibly versatile instrument that gives you 37 different Stratocaster, Telecaster, humbucking, 12-string and acoustic sounds, plus five alternate tunings, all at the simple flip of a switch or twist of a knob.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (2) 20 comments vote for this gear:
VG Stratocaster Reviewed by: CoventryEngland, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 1769.99

Purchased from: Music City

Features: The VG was made in 2007 in USA. It has 22 medium jumbo Frets on your choice of maple or rosewood. It has a Alder body is an American Strat body with a Polyurethane finish. The bridge is a american 2-point synchronized tremolo with stainless steel saddles. The pickups are 3 American Strat single-coil pickups which is the same as every regular Strat, but here is something different. It has 1 Roland VG pickup which is battery powered which doesn't draw its power from the amp. Fender used Fender/Schaller Deluxe Staggered Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines for the machine head. The guitar comes with a case (High-Tech, Molded Rectangular SKB Case). // 9

Sound: What makes the VG Special is the Roland pickup which allows the you to change the tuning, and pickup without turning the tuning keys. With this Added on you can make your Strat sound like a Telecaster, humbucket sound, Strat sound and acoustic as well as a your normal sound of the guitar. There is a tuning dial which allows you to play in Standard, dropped D, open G, Baritone and 12-string. I play rock, blues, punk, metal, pop, and sometimes, but rarly ska. I am using a Fender GDEC and I tryed it out on a Taylor tube amp. I currently do not use any pedals because I have effects built in to my amp. the guitar is not noisy and has rich/full sound. the VG has a lot of variety. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Every thing was well adjusted. nothing was flawed or poor quality. Fender seems to make sure it doesn't happen. There was no misaligned bracing, no poorly filed fretwire or finish flaws, poor quality wood, rusted or oxidized hardware, loose tuning pegs, poorly cut nut, poorly fit saddle, noisy pickup selector or even loose controls. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The VG would be perfect to play live just make sure your batteries are good and you have spares because you will not be able to use all the features if the batteries are dead. If your batteries go dead you will be using a regular American Strat, which there is nothing wrong with it. You just won't have any of the full feature. I can depend on it. I would have a back up on a gig only because strings do break. The finish is good enough to last, and doesn't seem thin and easy to wear off with a lot of playing. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, blues, punk, metal, pop, and it seems to be an excellent match for my style of music. I have been playing since 2005. I am one of those people that excel really well in music and can pickup anything and learn it really fast. I also own a Squier Stratocaster. I hadn't had anything that I wished for before I bought the VG. If someone stole it, I would replace it and wouldn't get a different one to replace it. My favorite feature of this guitar is the varible tunings and sounds it can make. I Strongly recomend this guitar to anyone who can afford it. Every Fender guy out there should have one. // 10

VG Stratocaster Reviewed by: krut917, on january 28, 2015

Purchased from: Island Music

Features: I bought this guitar used in a local music store for $600. I didn't exactly intend on buying a guitar with massive electronics, it just happened to be the Stratocaster that spoke to me. Made in Mexico, 22 frets, maple fretboard. I did something crazy and had the guitar refinished from black to Surf Green (and is probably the only VG Strat that is surf green haha). The electronics on this guitar are quite impressive! You have the ability to bypass these electronics to the traditional Strat pickups, but its versatility lies in the tuning options, and some of the models it claims to emulate. I generally stick with the Strat and Tele models which A/B'd they resemble each other, but I view it more of just another pickup for my Strat. I think what sold me on this guitar was after playing with it for 20 minutes I forgot that I had the electronics on in Drop D tuning, and went to tune up and later went back to the traditional pickups and had a wonky tuning. Back to the VG electronics: The VG Strat has several different tuning selections (standard, drop D, open G, D modal, baritone, and 12-string) all of which I've ended up using in live performances at one point or another, so I'll contest that there is a use for these features. The only obnoxious thing I find on this guitar is the bright blue indicator light that desperately screams out to everyone that there are indeed batteries inside this Strat. // 10

Sound: I play ambient/post rock and some metal with this Strat, which may seem odd, but it's incredibly useful for all of these things. Comparing the Strat model to the regular pickups you'll notice a little bit of a volume drop, and a bit of a rounder sound in the midi pickup (sounds like some of the highs are rolled off), I do use this to my advantage and swap to the natural pickups for leads/solos and increased bright output. I must say I am in love with the baritone tuning, there is no warble (as the hexaphonic midi pickup tracks seamlessly for every string) and has become a great writing tool for further experimentation. This guitar has become my primary live guitar due to its extreme versatility, and don't need to swap guitars between songs. I play this guitar through a Kemper Profiler rack direct into the PA (which is AMAZING), and I have to say that these two are made for each other. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was extremely well set up, and when people pick it up, they usually note how easy it feels to play and are surprised when I tell them that I have 11 1/2- 56 gauge strings set in standard tuning. I don't fret out, and aside from intentionally trying to, the guitar doesn't buzz from regular play. There are no noticeable structural flaws to this instrument, and even if so, I'm not concerned about dings or scratches (but I do take care of this instrument) I'm surprised, for a Mexican guitar, this feels super solid, and it definitely is on par with my Japanese telecaster. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can say this is a reliable guitar, I've played out with it for 6 months, bought it secondhand, had it refinished (which means all of the electronics were gutted and put back in), and I've had zero electronics issues with this instrument. The strap buttons seem to be sturdy, and they've not pulled out on me. I would never gig without a backup, it's just a poor choice that will eventually get you. I use rechargeable batteries to cut cost a bit, but I do keep spare batteries in the event of a battery failure (which also has not happened live). The new finish on this guitar is amazing, and I'm hoping that it won't wear any time soon, it was refinished by a licensed Guild luthier. // 9

Overall Impression: For what I do, and how I play, I feel like this guitar was made for me. I utilize every function (barring the acoustic models, they're awful). I've been playing guitar for 11 years, and can say that it'll be a while before I find a guitar with these specs that plays like this guitar. I would be really really sad if this guitar got stolen or lost, especially due to the customization that I've had done to it. I did try the Variax guitars, unfortunately their biggest setback is that they play like starter Yamaha Pacificas, however their electronics are pretty cool. If I could change one thing, I'd replace the open G tuning with maybe a full step down in tuning (D standard). But you can't have your cake and eat it too... // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Road Worn Player Series Telecaster 8.3 Electric Guitars 11/02/2015