Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster
Unleash the fury! In addition to the Swedish shred maestro's trademark scalloped fretboard and brass nut, theYngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster guitar has a unique pickup combination?two DiMarzio YJM pickups in the neck and middle positions, and one DiMarzio HS-3 Stack in the bridge position. Other features include a large headstock, original synchronized tremolo and aged plastic parts. Available with maple or rosewood fingerboard.
 8.6
 9.6
 7.6
review (1) 33 comments vote for this gear:
Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I purchased this guitar from eBay from a guy in Maine and have been very satisfied. This model is a late '90s model in Vintage white with a maple fretboard, just what every Yngwie fan wants. The scalloped fretboard actually makes playing more difficult, but give much more control of bending. This guitar has 2 DiMarzio HS-3 single coils, both low output and very warm sounding. The neck pickup is perfect for those smooth Yngwie "bell" tones that he is famous for in his solos. The bridge pickup is very warm and almost buttery, good for hard rock rhythm and some solos. I like the neck pickup more for solos. I replaced the selector Switch with a 2-way mini toggle so I can go from the bridge pickup to the neck pickup quickly during songs. Basically, this guitar is great unless you play high output modern metal or just absolutely need a guitar that the pickups do all the work for your solos. // 10

Sound: The pickups have a very smooth treble to them and don't sound thin or brittle. The guitar sustains like nobody's business and the alder body is a good all around wood, especially with an all maple neck. Overall, the sound is great, exactly what I wanted. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar well used, but have no complaints. All the damage is just cosmetic and nothing I can't deal with. The tremolo has a little oxidation and the pickups are a little difficult to turn at times, but it's okay. The action was like 3/32" off the neck at the last fret and no buzzing. Clearly, the person before actually played this guitar. I love it, but wish that the parts would be in better shape for being only 7 years old. My 1988 Kramer Striker has no oxidation and is much older. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't care about cosmetics as much as I used to, so it doesn't bother me with a chip here or there. It tells stories that perfect guitars just can't do. The hardware, like stated, isn't exactly great, but the brass nut is yet to even remotely wear down. I like this guitar and will keep it for a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alot of hard rock/'80s metal, and use this guitar for my own music. It is NOT a metal machine, nor high output in anyway. Combined with my Boss SD-1, MT-2, and NS-2, I have achived a high-gain, but smooth, sound that can be used for hard rock and crazy solos. I don't own a tube amp, so I run this guitar into a Line 6 Spider II 112 and get great results. I love this guitar, and have loved Yngwie since the first time I heard "Rising Force." This guitar deserves to be called the "Greatest Strat Of All Time" in terms of versatility, playabilty, and overall feel. I love this guitar and feel as if 700 bucks was a steal. I highly recommend this guitar to anybody looking for a great Strat. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jaguar HH Special 8.2 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014