Dragonfly X Review

manufacturer: Fernandes date: 10/22/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Fernandes: Dragonfly X
The Dragonfly X with its 24-fret neck and 3 pickups is an extremely versatile guitar. You can go from sweet single coil tones to humbucker powered rage at the flip of a switch.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 7.9
 8.9
 6.9
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Dragonfly X Reviewed by: metallicker, on may 06, 2004

Features: Dont know year it was made, but im guessin its probably japenese, check the Fernandes site or something. Bolt on 24 fret maple neck with rosewood fretboard, solid body alder with laminated top, with a rather nice design a may add. Has two single coils and 1 humbuker on the bridge(Fernandes made), 5 way pickup selector and 1 tone and one volume control. Through body, not sure about the type of bridge, but its standard screw on, no fancy trems or owt. Nice an simple. // 10

Sound: Well id say it woukd suit pretty much all styles of music, I mainly play rock and metal (metallica, pantera, billy talent etc) but also do clean stuff too, and it can handle all that. The range that the pickups can give is very impressive, the single coils giving a Fender like clean to the humbucker giving a nice broad sound, which twins up with some distortion very nicely, but the pickups arent exactly a set of seymour duncans or EMG actives, but they are still impressive. I use a Boss MT-2 disto pedal and have a couple of lil practice amps, and this works nicely with them both, giving me the ability to produce a wide range of sounds and styles, which with a lil fiddlin are great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got mine second hand, so it had a couple of chips out of the finish, but I want particularly bothered, is a nice looking guitar, if a little unbalanced as the neck drops when just standing, but its not major. The action was a little high and I've adjusted the pickups,but when do you really get a perfectly set up guitar? So nothing bad there really. Good quality all round. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Id say this guitar is solid, although im not so sure about the finish, I've managed to take a big chunk out of it not knowing how, but it is likely to be my fault so. Strap buttons are Standard Strat sytle, so i would invest in some locking ones to prevent your guitar fallin off you at a crucial moment in time. Id trust this guitar, its simple, solid,easily re-tuned and a dam good guitar, even if you've never heard of it before. // 8

Overall Impression: Id buy it again if it were stolen, what i like most is its simplicity, but thats maybe cause I own an Ibanez with full locking trem etc aswell. I think the pickups could be better as standard, but they are by no means bad. like i said before,even if you've never heard of Fernandes(like me) dont be bothered by it, they are solid, reasonably priced and great players with a pro setup. // 10

Dragonfly X Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 22, 2005

Purchased from: Media Play

Features: This guitar was made last year (2004). The parts were made in China but the guitar was assembled in America. It has a 24 rosewood fret board. It has a maple neck and an alder body. It has a beautiful satin finish. Its body style is a double cutaway with a Tune-O-Matic bridge. It has a volume and a tone knob with a 5-way selector. It has single coil pickups in the neck and middle positions and a open coil humbucker at the bridge. // 8

Sound: I play metal (from Metallica to Shadows Fall) and it fits my style perfectly. I have a Peavey 15watt Rage and a Marshall 15MGFX. I use my DOD Death Metal distortion through my Peavey and it give a good sound, but through the Marshall I use the built in overdrive and it delivers perfect tone. It has a bit of feedback in the stock pickups but it is barely noticable, the neck and middle pickups have a good full sound that I recommend only for clean tone, but the bridge pickup delivers beautiful bright tone distorted or not. This guitar had good variety due to it 24 frets but does not allow a whammy bar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up good and the pickups are good too. The bridge is nice and the guitar is pretty light weight. When I bought this guitar it contained no flaws. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is really strong because when I get going I'm pretty rough on guitars and it works for me nicely. The hardware is strong and the strap buttons are as solid as a tank. I would definitely depend on this guitar without a backup, I actually sold two of my Epiphone's after I bought this because after playing this guitar then the Epiphones there was no comparision, this guitar was way better and stronger than them. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said before I play metal and it fits me perfectly. I've been playing for 3 1/2 years and have never played anything this good for this cheap of a price. This guitar actually sounds just as good as my friends $700 Epiphone Les Paul Custom. I love everything about this guitar and cant say I hate anything, I just love it. I recommend this to any guitar player. // 10

More Fernandes reviews rating category latest review
+ Ravelle Deluxe 8.6 Electric Guitars 03/05/2014